Dawson, Christopher Columbus,
Farmer; Persifer Township; born Aug. 25, 1846 in Ohio. Educated in Knox
County. His parents were James and Margaret (Claypole) Dawson
Mr. Dawson was married to Elletta Corbin in 1869, in
Persifer Township. Their children are: Leon Lewis; Joseph Rollie; James
Albert; Charles Wilbert; Nellie Alvida; Etta May; Jasper Winfield; and
Harley, an infant, deceased.
Mr. Dawson’s parents came to Knox Co. when he was 8 years of age,
and settled on a farm, where they lived until the death of his mother. His
father then sold out and went to Kansas, where he died.
Mr. Dawson remained in Knox Co., and still lives on his farm near
Dahinda. His family are at home with the exception of one son, Lewis,
who married and is farming elsewhere. Mr. Dawson is a democrat and has been
a School Director.
Dayton, Benjamin, Farmer; Walnut
Grove Township; born in Harpersfield, Delaware Co, N.Y., March 13, 1834;
educated in the common schools. He is a member of the Library Board, and has
He came to Victoria, Knox County, in 1854, and was clerk in a store
till 1859. He then began farming, and in 1863, bought a farm in Walnut Grove
Township, where he now resides, and upon which he built a fine brick
residence in 1864.
Mr. Dayton is a republican, and has always taken an active part in
town affairs. In religion, he is a Protestant.
DeWolfe, Clayton A., Farmer;
Victoria Township; born April 30, 1845. He was the son of Joseph DeWolfe
and Mary Ann, daughter of Martin Gibbs, one of the early
settlers. Mr. DeWolfe was educated in the common schools.
He was married to Lucetta, daughter of Joseph Atherton,
March 7, 1867, at West Jersey, IL. They have four children: Burton A.,
Ernest C., Ethel N., and Louise. One son is a farmer, the other a
carpenter, both of whom are members of the Grange.
Mr. DeWolfe went to Iowa in 1880, and in 1889, he returned to
Illinois and settled in Goshen; in 1890 he moved to Victoria Township. In
1894 he was elected Road Commissioner and served three years; he has also
been School Director for several years. In religion Mr. DeWolfe is a
Dickerson, James T., Farmer, Haw
Creek Township, where he was born Jan. 21, 1848. His father, William
Wright Dickerson was born in White Co, IL. Aug. 2, 1820, and died Aug.
11, 1885; his mother, Sarah (Housh) Dickerson died in 1863; they were
the parents of eleven children, seven of whom reached maturity: Mrs. Mary
Morss, Mrs. Phebe Morss, James T., Mrs. Elizabeth Carter, William, Mrs.
Eliza J. Woolsey, and Mrs. Martha Dennis.
In 1865 his father married again, the second wife being
Elizabeth (Highfield) Dickerson; two children were born to them: John
B., deceased; and Frank Wilson. His grandparents, Louis
Dickerson of Georgia, and Elizabeth (Beck) Dickerson of South
Carolina, were among the early settlers in the State.
James T. Dickerson was married in Peoria County, Mar. 27, 1876 to
Mr. Dickerson is a practical farmer and owns three hundred and
thirty-three acres of land in Haw Creek Township, besides timber land. He is
a member of the Masonic fraternity, having joined Maquon Lodge, No. 530,
when twenty-one years of age. Mr. Dickerson is a democrat.
Doubet, Joseph Daniel, Farmer,
Truro Township; born in Peoria County, Dec. 12, 1854; educated in the common
schools. His father, Elenor Doubet was born in Lacote, France, July
12, 1824; his mother, Harriet (Slayn) was born in Ohio April 7,
1831. His paternal grandparents, Joseph and Ursula Doubet were
natives of France; his maternal grandparents, Daniel and Mahala Slayn,
were born in Virginia.
Jan. 25, 1875 he was married in Kickatoo to Ellen Corrigan,
who was born Aug. 4, 1849, and is a daughter of Patrick and Anna (Ryan)
Corrigan. There were eight children: Cora I., born Jan. 5, 1876;
Mollie M., born June 14, 1880; William, born April 5, 1882;
Hattie R., born Jan. 15, 1884; Anna G., born Jan. 15, 1886;
Delila F., born Feb. 21, 1888; Lucy M., born March 5, 1890;
Lida E., born April 7, 1892. Two of Mr. and Mrs. Doubet’s children are
Cora I. was married to Dr. F. F. Wallick of
Williamsfield, June 16, 1897. They have one child, Ralph B. Wallick,
born April 7, 1898.
Mr. Doubet is a member of the Odd Fellows at Williamsfield. He is
an extensive stock dealer. In religion he is a Christian. In politics he is
Dunbar, James W., Farmer; Orange
Township; born Feb. 13, 1856, in Macon Co, IL.; educated in the Orange
Township common schools and at St. Alban’s College, Knoxville, IL. His
parents were Chauncey Dunbar of Ashtabula Co, OH, and Debby Ann
(Woolsey) Dunbar of Saratoga Co, NY. His paternal grandparents,
Thomas and Ruth (Harper) Dunbar, were from Ohio; his great-grandfather
was Jacob Dunbar; his maternal grandparents, John and Elizabeth
(Bradshaw) Woolsey, came from New York.
Mr. Dunbar was married to Ida A. Cox, Dec. 23, 1881 in Macon
County. Their children are: Chauncey A., and Lenna A.
Mrs. Dunbar was the daughter of John F. and Mary A. (Carver) Cox,
of Macon County.
Mr. Dunbar came to Knox County with his father in 1857; his father
died June 1, 1898, leaving two sons and two daughters: John L., James W.,
Lucy A., and Eliza A. A son, Thomas, died in 1886. The mother
died in 1890. The family came from Scotland at an early day, and settled in
Ohio in 1798. Mr. James W. Dunbar lives on a well improved farm near DeLong.
Dunbar, John L., Farmer; Orange
Township; born in Marion Co, OH., Dec. 31, 1842; educated in the common
schools. His parents were Chauncey Dunbar of Ashtabula Co, OH., and
Debby A. (Woolsey) Dunbar of Saratoga Co., N.Y.; his paternal
grandparents were Thomas and Ruth (Harper) Dunbar of Ohio; his
maternal grandparents were John and Elizabeth (Bradshaw) Woolsey of
New York; his great-grandfather was Jacob Dunbar. The Dunbars came
from Scotland and settled in New York, whence they removed to Ohio in 1798;
the grandfather was a soldier in the Revolution.
John L. came to Illinois with his father in 1857; the father died
June 1, 1898; the mother died in 1891. Mr. Dunbar lives with his two sisters
upon the homestead. He is a republican.
Dunlap, Theodore F., Farmer;
Cedar Township, where he was born Aug. 1, 1844; he was educated in the
common schools. His parents, Edmond P. and Matilda (Belt) Dunlap,
were natives of Kentucky, the former of Fleming County.
June 22, 1886, in Des Moines, Iowa, Mr. Dunlap married Mrs. Sue
H. Grabill; they had one daughter, Mary Celeste, deceased. Mrs.
Dunlap has one son, Dell Q. Grabill.
Mr. Dunlap’s father died in 1865, leaving four sons and six
daughters: George W., Theodore F., Henry, William B., Mary J., Margaret,
Martha, Alice, Ellen, and Ann.
Edward P. Dunlap was one of the first supervisors of the town of
Cedar, and held the office for several years. In religion Mr. T. F. Dunlap
is a Congregationalist. He is a prohibitionist.
Duval, Thomas Carter, son of
James and Judith (Jennings) Duval, was born in Bath Co., KY, Feb. 28,
1802. His father was of French descent, was born in Virginia and was a
soldier in the War of 1812. Mr. Duval was reared to manhood in Kentucky,
where he learned the cooper’s trade, which he followed both in his native
State and in Illinois.
He was married in Bath County, April 2, 1822 to Nancy Shumate,
who was born in Virginia, Aug. 19, 1804, and died at Wataga, March 2,
1888. Ten children were born to them: Barryman, Elizabeth, Martha, James,
William, Mary, Helen, Ellenor, Daniel J., and Ann.
Ellenor (now Mrs. S. S. Soper of Wataga) who places a
portrait in this volume in memory of her father, was born in Henderson
Township, Knox Co., May 3, 1839. She received her education in a district
school and always lived on a farm. She was first married to David Temple,
and had one child, Thomas F. She was married to Mr. Soper in
Henderson Township in Oct. 1861. They have five children: George T., Mary
E., Septimus S., Edward D., and Nettie May. Thomas F. is a farmer
in Boone Co, IA; George T. is a farmer in Clark Co, MO.; Mary E.
is Mrs. Mary E. Russell of Wataga, Knox Co, IL.; Septimus S.
is in the Klondike gold fields; Edward D. is a farmer near Wataga,
and Nellie M. is Mrs. Nellie May Jacobson.
Mr. Thomas C. Duval came to Illinois in 1835, settling first in
Warren County, near Robinson’s Point, and removing to Henderson Township,
Knox Co, in 1836. He brought to Illinois his wife, six children and one
hundred dollars in money. He invested the money in land in Henderson
Township, and his industry and good management insured success. When corn
sold for a dollar a bushel he invested the proceeds in land, and in 1869
owned about two thousand acres in Sparta and Henderson townships.
In politics Mr. Duval was a republican, and he was a member of the
Christian Church. He was a good and an upright citizen, ever ready to help
others with money as well as advice. He was especially lenient to his
tenants, sometimes giving them a second chance if crops failed, and, in one
case at least, aiding a tenant, who was unable to pay his rent, to weather
the storm and finally secure a farm of his own. Mr. Duval was kind-hearted
and true, a kind father and a good neighbor, a man whose place could not
easily be filled. His death occurred in Wataga, Sept. 25, 1890.
Gettemy, Mary Ellen (Ferris),
was born in Galesburg, IL, July 8, 1839. She is the daughter of William
Mead and Mary (Crandall) Ferris, who were married Mar. 30, 1830, in
Norway, Herkimer Co, N.Y., and resided there until they came to Galesburg
with the colony in July 1837. Their journey was long and tedious. Their
means of conveyance was the usual covered wagon with all paraphernalia that
seemed needful to these settlers in a new country. Both the father and the
mother had strongly marked characteristics. Their strong wills and their
unyielding disposition to overcome difficulties fitted them especially for
pioneer life. The first ten years they lived at Henderson Grove, where Mr.
Ferris owned and superintended a mill. They moved to the old Ferris
homestead in Galesburg in Aug. 1847, where the father lived and died, and
the mother is still living at the advanced age of 89, the sole survivor of
the colony that founded Galesburg.
Silvanus W. Ferris, Mrs. Gettemy’s grandfather, was one of a
committee of four to select a site for Galesburg and Knox College. Here he
removed with his family and lived the remainder of his days. He took an
active interest in the prosperity and growth of the town, and in
establishing Knox College, of which he was a trustee until his death.
Mrs. Gettemy’s childhood was passed at home under the surveillance
of her parents. There was scarcely a book at her command, and the day of
daily newspapers had not dawned in Galesburg. Fox’s Book of Martyrs
was the only illustrated book which the home afforded, and the scenes there
pictured were stamped indelibly upon her mind.
Her early advantages for education were the best the times
afforded. She first attended a private school and afterwards entered the
public schools. With this preparatory training she became a student at Knox
Academy, and enjoyed the instruction of superior teachers. In Jan. 1854, she
entered Knox College and graduated with distinction in 1857.
The first year after leaving college was spent in the study of
music and French. In the spring of 1858 she taught the children of the
neighborhood, and in April 1859 she went from home to teach in the schools
of Henderson County. Afterwards she became a teacher in Knox Academy, and in
the High Schools of Canton, Kewanee, and Freeport.
Sept. 21, 1865, she was married to Robert Hood Gettemy. They
lived in Monmouth, IL, until their removal to Chicago, in May 1867, where
Mr. Gettemy was engaged in the lumber business. In 1869 fire destroyed the
accumulation of years, blackening his prospects for the future. His health
becoming impaired, they returned to Monmouth in Nov. 1873. In April 1875,
Mr. Gettemy returned to Chicago; but his physical condition gave no promise
for permanent business pursuits, and Mrs. Gettemy again entered the
schoolroom as a teacher, and took the principalship of the High School in
Galesburg in place of Mrs. McCall, who was compelled to be absent on account
of illness. In 1876 she was elected principal of Galesburg High School,
resigning after nineteen years of earnest and successful labor to accept the
position of assistant, which would bring less arduous duties and fewer
responsibilities. To the cares of the schoolroom was added the care of an
invalid husband. After many years of ill health, Mr. Gettemy was at last
compelled to give up entirely the active labors of life. He came to
Galesburg in 1886, where, for five years, he was confined to his home, and
for ten months, to his bed. After great suffering, he died August 6, 1891.
Mr. and Mrs. Gettemy had but one child, a son, Charles Ferris
Gettemy. He graduated at Knox College in 1890, and at Harvard University
in 1891. He took the degree of Master of Arts in 1893. He is now engaged as
a political writer on the Boston Advertiser.
In childhood Mrs. Gettemy united with the Baptist Church, retaining
that membership until 1865, when, with her husband, she joined the United
Presbyterian Church in Monmouth, IL. On removing to Chicago in 1867, they
united with the Third Presbyterian Church of that city. In 1882 she united
with the Old First Church in Galesburg, now the Central Congregational
Church, of which she remains a member.
As a teacher Mrs. Gettemy has earned a praiseworthy reputation. She
entered this field of work with good acquirements and a thorough
appreciation of the task to be performed. Her manner is of that quiet kind
that begets confidence in her pupils as well as in her associates. She is
not forward in her opinions, but is ever ready to return an intelligent
answer to her interrogator.
In the community, she is highly esteemed, and her Alma Mater showed
its appreciation of her work as a faithful instructor by conferring upon her
in 1897 the Degree of Master of Literature. Mrs. Gettemy still continues her
work in the Galesburg High School (in 1899).
Gibbs, Richard F., Farmer; Lynn
Township, where he was born Aug. 14, 1850. His grandparents, Martin and
Hannah (Beck) Gibbs, and his maternal grandparents, Joseph and Martha
Norcross, came from New Jersey; his father, Jonathan Gibbs, was
born Dec. 22, 1808 in New Jersey and came to Lynn Township in 1838. His
mother, Tamar (Norcross) Gibbs, was born May 11, 1812 in New Jersey.
Mr. R. F. Gibbs was educated in the public schools. He was married
to Mary J. Reed in Galesburg, Nov. 25, 1875. Their children are:
Grace E., born May 4, 1877, died Dec. 14, 1885; Stella A., born
Nov. 19, 1878; Laura E., born Dec 13, 1880; and Harry A., born
Feb 13, 1883.
Mrs. Gibbs was a school teacher before her marriage.
In politics he is a republican.
Gibson, Peter, Farmer, Walnut Grove
Township; born in Sweden, June 21, 1829, where he was educated. He came to
America in 1854, and to Galesburg, Knox Co, IL. in 1855, where he worked by
the month for several years.
He was married in 1857 to Anna Eng, in Ontario. They had
three children: Oscar, Mary, and Emma.
Mr. Gibson’s second marriage was with Mrs. Carrie Buckley.
For five years he rented a farm in Ontario Township, after which he
bought a farm of eighty acres in Rio Township, which he sold after four
years and bought a farm near Altona.
In religion, Mr. Gibson is a Baptist, and was clerk of the church
for twenty years. He is a republican in politics, and for eight years has
been a member of the Town Board. He is a leading farmer in his township and
interested in all matters pertaining thereto.
Gilbert, Thomas Lee, son of
Thomas and Annis (Dibble) Gilbert, was born in Oneida Co, NY March 17,
1830. His father was a farmer, and it was on the farm that the son received
his first lessons in industry and thrift that have opened to him the pathway
Thomas Gilbert, the father, went with his father’s family to
Onieda Co, NY, when he was only 6 years of age. He lived there, working on a
farm, until he had grown to manhood. He then went to Ogdensburg, NY, and
engaged in the mercantile business until the War of 1812. He enlisted, and
was wounded when Ogdensburg was taken by the British. After the close of the
war, he went to the headwaters of the Mississippi, as a trader with the
Indians. After returning from the northwest, he lived in Oneida County until
the spring of 1834. He then went west again, in order to select a location
for a permanent home. He traveled on horseback over the State of Illinois,
and studied the merits and demerits of every portion. He preferred the
country between the Illinois and the Mississippi rivers, but the land was
not then in the market and he returned to New York.
In the spring of 1835, he was selected as one of a committee to
find a suitable location in Illinois for a colony. This committee was
composed of Thomas Gilbert, Nehemiah West, and Timothy Jarvis. A
letter of instructions, written by the Rev. George W. Gale, was given
them, which Mr. Gilbert carried in his pocket through the entire trip. The
original letter is preserved in the archives of Knox College, from which the
following interesting items are transcribed:
“First. Health. This may be regarded as a sine qua non. Under this
head, the following indications are to be specially noticed:
1. The quality of the water in wells and springs.
2. The streams, whether rapid, slow, or sluggish: whether they rise
in swamps or pass through them or from springs; the vicinity of marshes; the
face of the country, whether level or rolling.
3. Quality of soil, depth, variety, general character, whether clay
or loam or sand; and if mixed what proportions, probably; slope of the
country, and towards what points, and the degree of slope.
4. Supply of water, timber, and fuel.
5. Facilities of intercourse; roads and canals, where now made or
probably to be made at no distant time; navigable streams.”
The sixth article has reference to hydraulic power, mills,
and machinery; the seventh, to canals and navigable streams; the eighth, to
state of population and prospect of increase. The main drift of the
instructions was to select a healthy location. The letter is dated May 10,
1835, and is directed to Messrs. Gilbert, West, and Jarvis.
During this trip, Mr. Gilbert, the father, entered a half section
of land in Orange Township, and also bought an adjoining claim on which was
an unfinished log cabin. He then returned to New York for his family. He
went to Chicago and tried to sell his horse, saddle, and bridle for the
eighty dollars which he paid. He could not get that price, but instead, was
offered forty acres of land, which is now the center of Chicago. The land
was refused, and at last, his outfit was sold for sixty dollars. He then
took a boat at Chicago around the lakes to Buffalo. He started west with his
family from Rome, N.Y., going on the Erie Canal to Buffalo, then by lake to
Cleveland, then by canal to Portsmouth on the Ohio River, then by the Ohio,
Mississippi, and Illinois rivers to Copperas Creek Landing, and then by team
to Knoxville, reaching that place Nov. 25, 1835. He lived on his farm until
1865, when he sold out and moved to Knoxville where he died in 1872.
Thomas L. Gilbert has lived a busy life. He has earned not
only a competence, but the respect and good will of his fellow citizens. His
ambition has been to shun the wrong, and to demand nothing but what is
right. His life is an example of good deeds done and is worthy of
imitation. In his business relations, he has ever been just and honest, and
has never claimed anything but his own. He came into Knox County when only a
child, and here has been his home ever since. In youth, he assisted on the
farm, attending school as opportunity presented. At the date of his
marriage, he settled on a farm in Orange Township, remaining there until the
spring of 1866. He then rented his farm and removed to Knoxville, where he
was engaged in the grocery and live stock business until 1868. He next
purchased an interest in a hardware store, which claimed his attention until
1871. In 1873 he engaged in the lumber business, which he continued for
nearly twenty years. At present he is dealing in real estate.
The early educational advantages of Mr. Gilbert were such as are
incident to a new country. To acquire a thorough business education, he
improved every opportunity presented. He attended school each winter season
until the fall of 1850, when he entered Knox Academy at Galesburg. He is a
well-informed and cultivated man, and shows that he has studied the book of
experience with a high purpose and a noble aim.
In politics Mr. Gilbert is a republican, having been connected with
that party from its organization. In religion he is a Presbyterian, both he
and his wife being members of that church.
He was united in wedlock, April 24, 1856, to Harriet T. Hebard,
the daughter of Benjamin and Eliza (Clisbee) Hebard, natives of
Ohio. They have but one child, a daughter, Effie, who resides with
them in Knoxville.
Giles, Dr. Henry Wyley,
Physician; Wataga, Sparta Township; born in Peoria Co, Mar. 28, 1861; his
grandfather was an English soldier, and one of the guards of Napoleon
Bonaparte on the Island of St. Helena. He came to America in 1824. He
studied for the ministry, and had charge of a Baptist Church. He and his
wife died in Peoria County. They had five sons and two daughters, all of
whom except Sarah, who was killed by lightning, have by hard work and
economy, accumulated considerable property. They are also very widely and
favorably known through out Peoria County.
Thomas, the oldest child, was born on the Island of St.
Helena Feb. 28, 1814. He moved, with the family, to England and from there,
when he was but ten years of age, to this country, the family settling at
Utica. NY, where they lived until 1836, when they moved west, settling at
Peoria. He followed steam-boating for two summers, then, with his brothers,
William, Joseph, and Nathan, manufactured brick until 1849, when the
two brothers, William and Nathan, went to California, while Thomas
bought land six miles north of Peoria, which he cleared and occupied until
1882, when he retired and bought a home on the Bluff in Peoria, where he
died Sept. 7, 1893.
He was the father of Dr. H. W. Giles and six other children,
two of whom died in infancy, the other four now live in Peoria and vicinity,
one of whom, Dr. W. N. Giles, is practicing medicine in that city.
The mother of Dr. H. W. Giles was Margaret (Poplett) Giles,
of Knox County; her father was Thompson Poplett. The Poplett family
came to Illinois from Indiana in 1835, settling in the northwest corner of
Sparta Township, where they lived for about twelve years, making farming
their occupation. They moved to Peoria County. Mrs. Margaret Giles was born
in Indiana June 15, 1828, and died in Peoria County, Aug. 7, 1875.
Dr. H. W. Giles was educated in Peoria County. He was married to
Christine Schildwachter in Peoria Nov. 26, 1891. Their children are:
Clark Webster, William Thomas, and Ruth Helena.
Before attending medical college Dr. Giles was in the employment of
Allaire Woodward and Co, of Peoria, IL. in the Medical
Laboratory. Although his father was well able to furnish the necessary funds
to carry him through college, he chose rather to be independent and by
persistent effort and strict economy he was enabled to keep his little home,
which he had paid for in addition to his college course. Dr. Giles graduated
at Keokuk, Iowa, Medical College, class of 1895, and practiced for nine
months in Iowa. He located in Wataga, IL. and has built up a good practice,
and is a careful and conscientious physician. He is a member of the Modern
Woodmen of America, the Galesburg Medical Society, the Military Tract
Medical Society, and Illinois State Medical Association. Dr. Giles is a
member of the Methodist Church. He is a prohibitionist.
Givens, Strawther, Real Estate
Dealer; Abingdon, Cedar Township; born May 23, 1843 in Bloomington, IN;
educated in the common schools. His parents were Thales H. Givens, of
Madison Co, KY, and Julia (Carter) Givens.
He was married to Mary Huston, Dec. 25, 1862, at
Blandinsville, IL. They have four children: Anna R., Thomas, Lucy G.
(Foltz), Laura G. (Ryden), and Thales H.
Mr. Givens is a member of the Christian Church. In politics he is a
Goldsmith, Edward Howell,
was born at Mecklenburg, NY, Dec. 20, 1834. He was the son of Schuyler
and Catherine E. (Howell) Goldsmith. Schuyler Goldsmith was the son of
Daniel and Sarah (Brewster) Goldsmith; his wife, Catherine, was the
daughter of Caleb and Martha (Halsey) Howell, both of whom were born
on Long Island, although the Howells were of Welsh ancestry, and Caleb
Howell’s father was born in Wales. The Goldsmiths were natives of New York.
Schuyler Goldsmith, who had
been a farmer in New York, removed his family to Illinois in 1855 and bought
a farm in Knox Co., near Wataga, where he lived until his death in 1861. His
wife, Catherine, having died in 1850.
Edward H. Goldsmith was
brought up on the farm in New York. He received his education in the common
schools, his training there being supplemented by much hard study at
home. Although his early opportunities were limited, Mr. Goldsmith is at
once recognized as an educated man, in whom the effect of strong
self-discipline is evident. In addition to his intellectual pursuits, he
diligently applied himself to the management of a farm, and in time became
an experienced and successful agriculturalist. From 1860 to 1876, Mr.
Goldsmith was engaged, during the winter terms, in teaching school. In this
line of work he was especially successful, both as teacher and
disciplinarian, his pupils taking high rank when they entered higher
institutions of learning.
With all his varied interests, Mr. Goldsmith has traveled quite
extensively, and in 1895, accompanied by Mrs. Goldsmith, who was in failing
health, he spent several months in the west, visiting the Pacific coast and
many of the intervening States.
March 8, 1859, Mr. Goldsmith was married to Anna Maria Whiteford,
daughter of William and Margaret Whiteford, of New Jersey. Their
marriage took place at Mecklenburg, N.Y. They have had three children:
Julia Elizabeth and Catherine Howell, deceased; and Edward Whiteford,
a farmer in Sparta Township.
Gooding, Daniel, Farmer, Elba
Township; born Oct, 7, 1858 in Newark, Essex Co, N.J.; educated in the
common schools; his father, Peter Gooding of Germany, was born Jan
18, 1807 and died May 26, 1891; his mother, Elizabeth (Dimphle) Gooding,
was born in France, Nov. 13, 1814; the parents came to America in 1834,
remaining at Newark, N.J. for a time, settling in Illinois in 1860.
Mr. Gooding was married to Mary Baird, Jan. 8, 1880, in Elba
Township. She was born in Elba Township May 12, 1860; her parents were
Adam and Rebecca Baird, who are living in Elba Township. Their children
are: Herman, born Oct. 16, 1889, died Aug. 3, 1890; and Floyd B.,
born July 24, 1891.
Mr. Gooding has a fine farm of one hundred and sixty acres, with
good buildings; he raises stock. He is a republican, and has been Justice
of the Peace and Road Commissioner.
Gordon, Peter, son of James and
Jean (Heron) Gordon, was born in Creetown, Scotland, May 19, 1819. In
1840 he came to this country and finally settled in Copley Township, Knox
Co, IL. He began working by the month, but later bought a farm and was so
successful in his chosen occupation, that in 1885, when he moved to
Victoria, he had greatly increased his possession.
In 1845 Mr. Gordon was married in Copley Township to Mrs. Mary
Ann (McDowell) Tait, who was born in Scotland, Jan. 21, 1814, and was
the daughter of John and Anna (Livingston) McDowell. Her mother died
in Scotland in 1824, and her father came to America in 1839 and settled in
Copley Township. Mr. McDowell died in 1867. Mr. William Tait, Mrs.
Gordon’s first husband, died in 1843, leaving her with four sons: John,
William F., Peter G., and Houston P. In
1862 these four sons enlisted in Company G., Eighty-ninth Illinois
Volunteers, Colonel Hotchkiss commanding.
Foxie's note: John & Peter are buried
at the John Knox Scotch Copley Cemetery,
Copley Twp., Knox county, IL. Their tombstone photos ore also online at
the link. John died at
Chattanooga from wounds received in the fighting at Dalton. Peter G.
rose to the rank of Lieutenant and fell at the battle of Nashville. William
and Houston P. survived the war. The former is a physician in Galesburg.
Mr. and Mrs. Gordon have four children: James, Elizabeth M.,
Alexander H., and Albinus N. James has a farm in Walnut
Grove Township; Alexander H. has one in Copley Township; Albinus
is on the home farm; Elizabeth M. married William Robson of
From the humble beginning in 1840, Mr. Gordon’s possessions grew to
more than fifteen hundred acres, and he gave each of his four children one
hundred and sixty acres of land. He has also a handsome residence in
Victoria. For many years he has been an active member of the Presbyterian
Church, and is always interested in whatever contributes to the welfare of
the community in which he lives. For twenty years he has been a School
Director, and he is looked up to by all as one of the most substantial men
of his township. In politics Mr. Gordon is a republican.
Graham, Benjamin F., Farmer;
Indian Point Township; born in 1865, in Clinton Co, OH; educated in
Bartlett’s Commercial College, Cincinnati, OH. His parents, Samuel and
Margaret (Hunter) Graham, were natives of Ohio; his paternal
grandfather, Jonathan Graham, was born in Maryland. His maternal
grandfather and great-grandfather were named Benjamin; the latter
came from Ireland.
Oct. 23, 1894, Mr. Graham was married in Indian Point Township to
Bell Myres. Mrs. Graham is a daughter of Stephen Myres, one of
the early settlers of Indian Point, who died May 7, 1895, leaving one son,
Harry, and four daughters: Bell, Emma. Lena, and Nellie.
Mr. Graham came to Indian Point Township in 1889, and began
clerking in a store in Herman. Later he clerked for Mosser and Son in
Abingdon, but in 1895, settled on the Myres homestead, where he is a farmer
and stockman. In politics Mr. Graham is a republican.
Grubb, Jon Watson, was born near Barry, IL. Aug. 5, 1851. His
father, Jon P. Grubb, was a Pennsylvania German. His mother,
Harriet (Stevens) Grubb was born in New York, but was descended from the
Stevens family of Massachusetts. In 1842 Jon P. Grubb and his
brother-in-law established the Barry Woollen Mills and engaged in
the manufacture of cloth. Some years after, Mr. Grubb added farming
to his business, and Jon W., from the age of thirteen, was employed on the
farm in summer, attending the district school in winter, till 1872, when he
became a student in Lombard University. He left the University, and after
three years spent in farm labor and in teaching, to procure the means for
completing his college course, he returned to the University and graduated
with a high standing in 1879. After teaching the following winter, he became
secretary and treasurer of the Barry Woollen Mills Company, and held
these positions for two years. In 1882 he was called to Lombard University
to take the place of the Professor of Mathematics during a temporary
absence, and since that time he has been connected with the University as a
teacher. At first he was Adjunct Professor of Mathematics and
Principal of the Preparatory Department, and more recently he has been
Professor of Latin. He is a thorough and earnest teacher, and demands
of students promptness and close application to duty.
It is sometimes said that a scholar who chooses the avocation of a
teacher becomes unfitted for business. This has not been the case with
Professor Grubb. He has been successful in such business enterprises as he
had undertaken. He platted and put on the market the lots in J. W.
Grubb’s Lombard University Addition to Galesburg, and making it for the
interest of parties to buy lots and build houses; he profited by the
enterprise, and caused an addition to be made to the population of the east
part of the City of Galesburg.
The business which he has done in settling estates has been
He holds the office of Registrar of Lombard University. He
served one term as alderman for his ward. He is a Universalist in his
religious belief, and a democrat in politics.
He was married in 1885 to Mary J. Claycomb, who was for a
considerable time a successful teacher in Lombard University and other
schools. Mrs. Grubb is an efficient leader and earnest laborer in charitable
enterprises and in work for her church, and her efforts in these directions
are generously aided by her husband. They have no children, but they usually
have three or four young persons in their family whom they assist in
obtaining and education.
Hair, Charles Ernest
, the son
of Elijah E. and Mary A. (Benton) Hair
, was born July 26, 1875 at
Lewistown, IL., where he attended the grammar and high schools. After
the removal of his father’s family to Galesburg, he entered Knox
College, but after two years, in the fall of 1894, left that institution
to become a student at the State University, from which he graduated in
1898. His chosen profession was architecture, and his studies were
directed with special reference to fitting him for that vocation.
On Oct, 8, 1898 he presented himself before the State Board of
Architects, to undergo the prescribed examination, and had the
gratification of being assured by the examiners that he had passed the
ordeal with greater credit than had any who had preceded him since the
creation of the Board. He entered at once into business at Galesburg,
and from the outset has achieved a measure of success not often attained
by young men who have just crossed the threshold of one of the learned
Mr. Hair is an Episcopalian, as are his parents, and the family
is active in the work of the church. He himself has musical talent of a
high order, and has for several years been connected with the choir of
Hall, Cyrus M., Farmer and
Merchant; Yates City, Salem Township; born April 6, 1833; educated in
the common schools. His father, Chaney Hall, was born in Vermont;
his mother, Sarah (Richards) Hall was born in Ohio. His paternal
grandparents, Samuel and Silence Hall, were born in Vermont. His
maternal grandfather, Joshua Richards, was born in Pennsylvania;
his maternal grandmother, Rachel (Clary) Richards, was born in
Mr. Halls’ first wife, Rhoda A. Sherman, was born July
3, 1834; died Jan. 29, 1894. They had one child, Cyrus Elmer,
born Jan. 28, 1856. Florence E. Winslow, a grandchild, lives in
Lincoln, NE; she has one child, Sylvia Eileen, born May 26,
Nov. 8, 1891, he married in Galesburg, Mrs. Lyda M. Buffum,
who was born Aug. 24, 1844 in New York; her parents were James and
Sarah J. Jobes; her first husband was Matthew Buffum, a
farmer, who was born in 1831 and died in 1891; her mother is living,
Mr. Hall has been Supervisor, Justice of the Peace, Assessor,
and Road Commissioner. He conducted a hotel at Galesburg, and at
Lincoln, NE. In early life he was in the Mercantile and Agricultural
Implement business. In 1856 he originated a cultivator, which is very
extensively used at the present time. In politics he is a republican.
Hall, Ira R., Farmer; Rio Township;
born Nov. 18, 1829 at Java, Wyoming Co, NY; educated at the seminary in
Arcade, NY. He is a member of the Congregational Church.
He was married to Mrs. Cynthia Ann Lyon at Rio, IL.,
Nov. 5, 1894.
He enlisted in the War of the
Rebellion for three years, Company A, Seventy-Seventh Illinois
Volunteers, being mustered in Sept. 2, 1862.
In politics he is a republican.
Hamerstrand, John W.,
Farmer; Lynn Township; born May 29, 1840, in Sweden, where he was
educated. His grandparents were Nels and Mary Hamerstrand of
Sweden; his father, Erick J. Hamerstrand, was born in Sweden in
1808 and died May 29, 1892.
Mr. John W. Hamerstrand was married to Anna Carlson in
Altona, May 21, 1877. Their children are: Albert W., born Feb 5,
1878; Elma C., born Dec 3, 1879; and Fannie E., born Aug
Mr. Hamerstrand came to America in 1868, and worked on
different farms at Altona. In 1886 he bought a farm of 140 acres in Lynn
Township, upon which he is now erecting a commodious residence. Mr.
Hamerstrand is a member of the Lutheran Church. In politics he is a
Hammond, James, was born July 7,
1824, in Medina Co, OH. His father, Theodore Hammond was born
near Hartford, CT., and his mother, Rebecca (Farnham) Hammond was
also a native of CT. Her grandfather was John Farnham of the same
State. She died Nov. 4, 1824. Mr. and Mrs. Theodore Hammond moved to
Summit Co, OH. In 1810, and Mr. Hammond removed to Illinois in 1844. The
grandparents of Mr. James Hammond were Jason Hammond of Bolton,
CT., and Rachel (Hale) Hammond of Glastonburg, CT.
Mr. James Hammond was reared on a farm and was educated in a
log school house at Hammond Corners, Bath, Ohio. At the age of twenty
years he came to Knox Co., in the company of
Royal Hammond,( bio below this one) a
cousin of his father. He located in Ontario Township and herded
sheep. In 1850 he bought 160 acres of land of Knox College, in Section
33, Ontario Township, and converted the tract into a model farm on which
he has spent most of his time for the last half century.
He was married in Ontario Township Oct. 7, 1847 to Susan
Porter Powell, daughter of John and Maria (Wilson) Powell. Mrs.
Hammond was born near Utica, NY and in 1836 came to Knox Co. with her
uncle, Charles F. Camp, a prominent and enterprising citizen. She
died Mar. 16, 1897 aged 75 years. She was an estimable woman, a member
of the Congregational Church, in Ontario Township, which she helped to
establish; she was charitable, a good neighbor, and a loving, faithful
wife and mother. The children born to Mr. and Mrs. Hammond were: Park
Henry, deceased; Charles Camp, deceased; Edwin Powell,
deceased; Ella M.; Fannie C.; and Ira E. Fannie C.
graduated from Knox College in June 1881.
Mr. Hammond has been a hard worker, frequently doing two days’
work in one, and he soon became an influential citizen. In 1867 he built
a most substantial dwelling of brick, with double walls, selecting the
wood for the inside, oak, ash and curled walnut, from timber cut on his
own farm. Much of the furniture was made to order, and the whole
establishment is the pride of the county as well as of the township. He
has never speculated, but has been uniformly successful in his
operations, and he attributes his good fortune to frugality and hard
work. He raised fine stock, and had one of the first herds of Galloway
cattle in the county. He has been a prominent figure among the farmers
of Knox Co. for many years. He was Supervisor several years and has held
different school offices. In politics he is a republican, and in his
church religion a Congregationalist.
Mr. Hammond has traveled extensively in the United States, and
spent two and a half years in Tehama Co, CA., where he owns a fruit
Hammond, Royal, New England was
founded by men and women who had left for conscience sake all that men
naturally hold dear. They were, in general, a well-to-do class, and
could have lived in the mother country in peace and plenty, had they
been willing to have no religious convictions. But they were a strong
and sturdy race, and when they had accepted the Bible as the word of
God, and had seen how ritualism trampled alike on the teachings of that
word and the rights of man, they resisted the authority of priest and
King at cost of property, liberty, or life. The struggle which ensued
ended in the planting of New England, and their ideas, after a contest
of more than two hundred years, were nationalized at Appomattox Court
Years have brought changes; but in large measure, the men and
women of our Atlantic border still retain love for the Bible, faith in
popular government, and the determination to follow conscience at
whatever cost, which animated their fathers. As the sons and daughters
of the Puritans have moved westward through New York, Ohio, Michigan,
Illinois, Iowa and still on to the “bluffs which beetle over the blue
Pacific,” they have reproduced in the churches and towns which they have
founded the same glorious characteristics which marked the communities
on the rock-bound coast of New England.
Of this stock, in Fairlee, Orange Co, VT., on April 13, 1809,
was born Royal Hammond. His father, Calvin Hammond, was a
farmer, and carried in his given name a reminder of the stern and
uplifting views of divine truth which his fathers and his descendants
fed upon. His mother was Roxana (Field) Hammond. Of her, we know
but little; but if we may judge the mother by the child, she must have
been a woman of pure and devoted life. One thing we do know, that it was
her hope that her son might be a minister of the Gospel.
Six years after Deacon Hammond was born his father removed to
the western reserve in Ohio. He settled at Bath, a town twenty-four
miles south of Cleveland, in a region called New Connecticut. This
section of that State is noted for the great men it has produced, and
here, in the healthful labors of the farm and the prosecution of his
studies, the boy grew to manhood. People, who would name their home-land
New Connecticut, would be likely to have good schools, and Mr. Hammond
studied in those which were located near his Ohio home. First, in the
common schools, then in Talmage Academy, he studied, and, as his health
did not favor further study, he entered on his life task.
He was for a time a teacher in the public schools. While yet a
young man he was superintendent of the Sabbath school and deacon of the
Congregational Church in Bath. The religious element in his character,
thus early evidenced, was strong until the last. He always conducted
family worship, was eager for revivals, and felt all departures from
Christian faith like personal injuries.
In business life, he was noted for integrity, industry, and
economy—a triad of virtues often associated. In Bath he was a merchant
in company with his cousin, Horatio Hammond. When he came to
Illinois, with the intention of settling on a farm, he drove a flock of
fifteen hundred sheep. All his movements exhibited energy and wisdom,
and presaged for him a successful life.
Next to a man’s home training, perhaps to even a greater extent
than that, his marriage decides his destiny. In Chesterfield, MA. lived
in the early forties, Mr. Rufus Rogers and wife, Evangelia
(Booth) Rogers. Into this home came six sons and two daughters, one
of whom was Emeline, who afterward, for almost sixty-two years,
was the comfort and inspiration of Mr. Hammonds’ life. Mr. Rogers was a
carpenter and builder. In 1837 he moved to Bath, Ohio. By this
circumstance these two lives were brought into contact.
Mrs. Rogers was a member of the Congregational Church in
MA. Her husband united with this church in Bath. In 1837 the Rogers
family moved from MA. to Ohio and on May 24, 1838, Mr. and Mrs. Hammond
were married. Six years later they moved to Illinois, settling on a farm
in Ontario Township, where they lived for six or seven years, when they
moved to Galesburg, which was thereafter their home. In Galesburg Mr.
Hammond clerked for Levi Sanderson one year. In 1851 he engaged
in business for himself, carrying on
the first exclusive grocery store in Galesburg. When
about 65 years old he retired from active life and occupied himself with
the care of his property and the religious interests of the community
until his death, at nearly 90 years of age.
Mr. and Mrs. Hammond were always identified with the
Congregational Church. At Bath, Ontario, and Galesburg, they were
earnest and devoted adherents of this communion. But, though loyal
church people, they never substituted that loyalty for fidelity to
Christ, and Mr. Hammond’s later years were saddened by the inroads of
worldliness in the Church he loved and served so long.
In early life, Mr. Hammond was a Whig; this led him naturally
to the republican party, and in this he found his political home, until
the abolition of slavery. He then wished that party to free itself from
the lodge and saloon, and when it appeared hopeless to obtain such
results in the part of Sumner and Lincoln, he united with the American
party, and during his latter years, voted with that and the prohibition
party. It was because of his interest in these two causes, opposition to
lodges and saloons, that he had so deep an affection for Wheaton
College, to which he left generous gifts in his will.
There was a personal element in this regard for Wheaton College
also. Mr. and Mrs. Hammond were life long friends of President and
Mrs. Jonathan Blanchard, and the ties of Christian love which were
so strong during life have not been loosened by the departure of one and
another, but still remained firm and unyielding to the last.
During the later years of his life, Mr. Hammond with his wife
traveled quite extensively. They spent one winter in California, one in
Florida, and a summer in Wyoming. Several times, they made journeys to
Ohio and New England. The present never lost its interest to them as is
the case with some elderly people; but they kept in touch with the
social, religious and political world. They gave to the local churches
where they worshiped, to the Sabbath school work, to the Mission Boards
and to Wheaton College.
During the winter of ’98 and ’99, Mr. Hammond remained quietly
at home in Galesburg. The writer saw him only a few weeks before his
death. He seemed very well; but ninety years is a long march and he was
weary. The prevailing disease, LaGrippe, attacked him and he had not
sufficient strength left to ward it off. Very quietly and gently he
passed away, while his life companion sat with aching heart and could
not accompany him. Mr. and Mrs. Hammond will be tenderly remembered by
all who have enjoyed their friendship.
Hampton, Ben Bowles, Editor
Evening News; Galesburg; born March 19, 1875 in Macomb,
IL., where he was educated at the academy. His father, David H.
Hampton, was born at Macomb, and his mother, Mamie (Bowles)
Hampton was born in Evansville, IN.
Mr. B. B. Hampton inherits his ability in his chosen line of
work, his father and grandfather having been newspaper men. He came to
Galesburg in 1895, having previously engaged in newspaper work in
Mr. Hampton was married Feb. 15, 1898 to Maria Somers
Bartleson. He is an attendant at the Presbyterian Church. In
politics he is a republican.
Haner, George W., Knoxville;
Restaurant; born Aug. 15, 1869 in Orange Township; educated in the
Knoxville High School. His father, Simon Haner, was born in
Pennsylvania March 30, 1825; his mother, Lucy A. (Cooll), was
born near Gettysburg; his paternal and his maternal grandfathers,
Jacob Haner and Peter Cooll, were natives of Pennsylvania. His
maternal grandmother was Anna (Lawver). Simon and Lucy A. (Cooll)
Haner had ten children, seven of whom are living: Molly, Amanda, Eli
F., Samuel, Anna L., Emma, and George W. Amanda is now
Mrs. Weaver, and has one son, Floyd. Eli F. married
Louisa Smith; they have four children: Florence, Lee, Harold, and
Winifred. Samuel married Hattie Miller, they had one
daughter, Murl M. Anna L. is now Mrs. Albin Haskell;
she has one daughter, Lola F. Emma is married to John
M. Lewis; they have four children: Lettie, Agnes, Myrtle and
Forrest L. Simon Haner died Oct. 15, 1887; his widow survives
him. The ancestry of the family was German.
March 1, 1893, George W. Haner was married to Anna M. Dawson
in Galesburg. They have one child: L. Earle. In politics Mr.
Haner is a democrat.
Hannah, David, Farmer; Elba
Township; born Oct. 12, 1847; educated in the common schools. His
parents were James and Sarah (McKenney) Hannah of Scotland; James
Hannah is deceased.
David Hannah was married in Haw Creek Township, Feb. 6, 1873,
to Olive Harshberger, she was born may 27, 1853. Their children
are: Clyde H., born Nov. 30, 1873; Pearl O., born Jan 3,
1876; Glenn I., born Dec. 22, 1878; Della L. born Jan 31,
1884; Forrest D., born Aug. 13, 1888, died in Jan. 1892;
Rollin F. born Nov. 1, 1892; and Eva Pauline, born March 7,
1895. Pearl and Glenn are teachers.
Mr. Hannah has a fine residence and a farm of 320 acres on
Section 8. He is an extensive raiser of stock. Mr. Hannah is a
republican. He is a member of the Knights of Pythias, at
Williamsfield, and a member of the Miner of Honor.
Hannam, William, Farmer; Ontario Township; born in England
April 18, 1854; educated in Sparta Township, Knox Co. His parents,
Charles and Elizabeth (Thorn) Hannam; his paternal grandparents,
John and Rhoda (Vile) Hannam; and his maternal grandparents,
William and Ann (Brown) Thorn, were natives of England.
Mr. Hannam was married to Lillie Fooks in Sparta
Township Feb. 25, 1886. Their children are: George Walter, Alta Vera,
and Mark Paul.
In politics he is a republican.
Hansford, Charles, Farmer;
Walnut Grove Township; born in Sweden, Oct. 4, 1838, and there
He was married to Ellen Benson, in Galesburg, March 21,
1868. Their children are: Barnard E., Huldah A, and Henry A., who
died in infancy.
Mr. Hansford came to Galesburg in 1864, and farmed for several
years in Warren Co. In 1872 he moved to Oneida and lived upon Dr. H.
S. Hurd’s farm for fifteen years. In 1892 he settled on a farm in
Walnut Grove Township, where he has since been a prominent man in the
Hardin, Milton Baxter,
Farmer; Indian Point Township; born July 12, 1829 in Clermont Co, OH.,
where he was educated. His parents, John and Mary (Dole) Hardin,
and his paternal grandparents, Peter and Elizabeth (Rowan) Hardin,
were born in New Jersey, as were his maternal grandparents, Joseph
and Rebecca Dole.
Mr. Hardin was married in Fulton Co, IL, Jan. 28, 1864 to
Ada C. Parker, daughter of Payton and Laney (McArthur) Parker
of Virginia, and Ohio, respectively. Their children are: Hattie,
wife of Eddy Cable of Kewanee, IL; and King Milton. They
are graduates of Hedding College, Abingdon. Mrs. Cable has two children:
Mildred and Merwin H.
In 1851, at the age of twenty-two, Mr. Hardin came to Illinois
and in 1854 settled in Warren County. He clerked in a store in
Abingdon for his brother, E. S. Hardin, for a year, and then
engaged in the grain, lumber, and livestock business until 1864 when he
bought a farm of 160 acres near Abingdon, to which he has added until he
now owns 260 acres of land. He is a prosperous and successful farmer.
Mr. Hardin is a member of the I.O.O. F. and has filled
all the offices of that lodge. In politics he is a republican, and has
been School Director, Assessor, and Supervisor from 1881 to 1884.
Hardine, Svante B., Farmer;
Victoria Township; born Sept. 10, 1858, in Sweden, where he was educated
and learned the carpenter’s trade.
He was married to Mary Nelson, in Victoria, Dec. 30,
1881; their children are: Earl M., Raymond B., Hazel N., Esther M.,
and Ethel J.
Mr. Hardine came to Galesburg in 1880, and worked at the
carpenters’ trade for two years; he then located on the farm in Victoria
Township, on which his father-in-law, B. Nelson, settled in 1868,
which he afterwards bought. In 1890 he removed to Galva, IL. where he
died in 1891.
Mr. Hardine is a member of the Lutheran Church. In politics he
is a republican.
Harper, Robert Henry,
Farmer and Stockman; Maquon Township; born in Canton, Fulton County,
Jan. 8, 1848. His parents were John and Ellen (Robinson) Harper,
natives of Cumberland Co, PA; his grandfather Harper was a native of
Belfast, Ireland and of Scotch descent.
His father came to Canton in 1846 and is now living in
Farmington in the same county.
At sixteen years of age, Robert H. Harper enlisted in the
Eleventh Illinois Cavalry, Colonel Robert G. Ingersoll commanding;
he served in this regiment one year and nine months and then, until the
close of the war, was with Burnside in Mississippi and Tennessee.
In the fall of 1868, Mr. Harper came to Maquon Township. He now
owns 636 acres of land and is engaged in shipping stock to the Chicago
Sept. 15, 1869, he was married to Mary A. Hunter,
daughter of Judge J. M. Hunter. There are five children:
Robert K., Emma E., Mary, John, and Harry. In religion Mr. Harper is
a Methodist. In politics he is a democrat. He was elected Supervisor of
the Township in the spring of 1899.
Harris, Israel John,
Teacher; Abingdon; born Oct. 24, 1857 in Elba Township, IL.; educated at
Abingdon College. His parents, Joseph and Mathilda C. (Hart) Harris,
were born in Ohio; his paternal grandparents were James and Rebecca
Craig Jennings Harris; his maternal grandparents were
Finney and Jane (Quinn) Hart, of Georgia; his paternal
great-grandfather was Israel Harris, and his maternal
great-grandparents were Robert Quinn and Elizabeth Lacey Hart.
His father, Joseph Harris, came to Knox County in 1853, and was
one of the first settlers in Elba Township. He died in Abingdon April
20, 1883; his wife is still living.
After his father’s death, I. J. Harris, who had been teaching
and studying in Abingdon, assumed charge of the estate, and turned his
attention to farming and stock raising. In 1889, he resumed his former
occupation of teaching, which he was obliged to abandon at the end of
seven years, owing to ill health. Mr. Harris is still an invalid.
He was married Sept. 1, 1887 at Abingdon, to Emma Nelson. They
have four children: Joseph Victor, born May 1, 1889; Verna
Pernella, born July 27, 1892; Olive Caroline, born Feb. 27,
1891; and Yerda, born June 20, 1897.
Mr. Harris is a member of the Congregational Church and for the
past year has been President of the Knox County Sunday School
Association. In politics he is a republican, and was Alderman of the
City of Abingdon during 1887-8.
Harthon, John, Conductor;
Galesburg; born June 21, 1859 in LaSalle Co. IL. His father was
Conrad Harthon, who came from Germany in 1857 to LaSalle Co., where
he was a farmer and grocer. Mr. Harthon was educated in the common
schools. In politics he is a republican.
He married Ida M. Breed at Aurora, May 11, 1888; they
have one child, Walter.
Mr. Harthon entered the employ of the Chicago, Burlington and
Quincy Railroad Company in 1877, serving two years as brakeman and was
made a conductor in 1881, which position he now holds.
He moved to Galesburg in 1890. He is a member of the
Independent Order of Odd Fellows, Maccabees, and Rebekahs.
Hathaway, J. B. , Farmer, Lynn
Township; born March 23, 1860 in Galva, IL. His grandfather was Jeptha
Hathaway of North Adams Co., MA.; his maternal grandparents were William
and Jane Mowatt of Scotland; his parents were A. F. Hathaway, born in
1820 in North Adams, and Jane (Mowatt) Hathaway, who was born in 1819 in
Mr. Hathaway was educated in the Galva High School. He was
married in Lynn Township Mar. 2, 1886 to M. Edith Jones, who was born
June 15, 1862. They have two children: Alta Adaline, born July 1, 1894;
and Howard Raymond, born Aug 27, 1899.
Mr. Hathaway has a farm of 160 acres a mile south of Galva. He
is a member of the Modern Woodmen of America, Number 241, Glava. He is a
model farmer. In politics he is a republican.
Hawkinson, Gustaf, son of
Hakan Bengtson and Marta Pherson, was born in Harlunda Smaland, Sweden,
Jan. 9, 1841. His father was a farmer and lived in a rural district in
Sweden. Gustaf had no very marked educational advantages in his
youth. He attended school in his native place until he was thirteen
years old, making commendable progress in the various branches
taught. He then spent five years in learning the baker’s trade, which
was completed in 1860. He next received employment from the government,
building bridges. He worked in its service for ten years. Then he came
to America, reaching Galesburg June 23, 1869. He first worked for a year
on the railroad here; then was engaged for a short time in a tannery;
and lastly on a railroad in the east. In 1873 he returned to Galesburg
and embarked in the bakery business. He continued in this occupation
until 1892, when he sold out, and lived a life of retirement and
ease. In July, 1898, he embarked again in the bakery business, in which
he is now engaged.
Mr. Hawkinson has lived a busy life, and in business, has been
uniformly successful. His first venture in the bakery extended through
more than twenty years, and he built up one of the largest and most
flourishing establishments in the city. He has always striven to make
his enterprise worthy of praise. He is a thoroughgoing man in everything
to which he turns his hand. He is intelligent, a great reader, and
entertains clear and decisive views on questions of government,
religion, and philosophy. He is temperate and calm in his judgments, and
is not easily driven from his positions when once taken. He is honest in
his dealings with men and upright in his daily walk and conversation.
Mr. Hawkinson has never held or sought office. He is a director
in the Commercial Union Grocery, and is now a director in the Cottage
City Hospital. To the latter, he has given a great deal of interest and
much valuable time. His charity and benevolence are shown in the fact
that he is one of the largest donors to this most important and
necessary institution. He has also aided other worthy causes.
In political affiliations, he is a republican, but his
partisanship is never offensive. He belongs to the party, because he
believes in its principles.
Mr. Hawkinson was never married.
Hawkinson, Henry G.,
Confectioner and Restaurateur; Galesburg, where he was born Aug. 30,
1870, and where he was educated. His parents, Hakan B. and Carrie
(Olson) Hawkinson, were born in Sweden, and came to Galesburg in
1868. The father engaged in the bakery business which he followed for
twenty-five years; he then retired, and is now residing in
Galesburg. Two children were born to them: Henry G. and Hildagard,
who married P. F. Nord, May 29, 1891, and died Sept. 13 of the
After finishing his education, Mr. Henry G. engaged in the
bakery and restaurant business with his father, which he followed for
nine years. He then formed a partnership with W.N.Spake,
purchasing the interest of Joseph F. Anderson in the restaurant
and confectionery business. The firm is Spake and Hawkinson, located at
140 East Main Street, doing the leading business in their line.
Mr. Hawkinson is a member of College City Lodge, No. 433,
Knights of Pythias.
Sept. 3, 1891 he was married at Galesburg, to Emma Peterson,
who was born at Colfax, IL. They have three children: Henry
Ferdinand, Newton Hiram, and Hildagard Elizabeth.
In religion Mr. Hawkinson is a Congregationalist. He is
independent in politics.
Hawkinson, Olof, born in Skona,
Sweden, May 7, 1837. His parents were Hawkin Anderson and Hannah
Hawkinson. His father was a farmer, and as a boy Olof was employed
in assisting him upon the farm. His education he received in the common
In 1856, Olof emigrated to America. He landed at Boston and
thence came direct to Galesburg. For seven years he labored steadily, at
the end of which time he found himself, by his industry and thrift, the
possessor of one thousand dollars. But his fortunes soon experienced a
serious reverse; for the bank in which his money had been deposited
suddenly collapsed, and the young man was left penniless. However, he
was not to be daunted even by so severe a blow; he set himself more
earnestly at work and gradually came to be recognized as a substantial
and successful business man.
At various times Mr. Hawkinson was associated with the
following firms: W. L. Roseboom and Company, broom corn, Chicago;
Hawkinson and Willsie, livery; and Olof Hawkinson and Company,
lumber. He was one of the organizers of the Bank of Galesburg
and conducted an extensive stock-raising business in Nebraska.
In 1883 he was elected Supervisor; served as Alderman of the
City of Galesburg, having been elected on the liberal ticket, and was a
member of the District Fair Association. He was a member of the
Order of Knights of Pythias, and was a prominent member of the
Swedish-American Old Settlers’ Association.
Mr. Hawkinson always responded freely to the demands of public
enterprise. At the building of the Santa Fe Railroad, he contributed
liberally and assisted in raising funds. His donations in private
charity have been generous, and he gave material aid to the Nebraska
sufferers at critical times.
In religious belief Mr. Hawkinson was a Lutheran; in politics
he was a republican.
March 22, 1862, Olof Hawkinson was married to Lousia Ericson. Six
children were born to them: Emma, William, Minnie O., Henry W., Fred
A., and Elmer E.
Mr. Hawkinson died March 28, 1896.
Hayes, Thomas A., Lynn Township;
born June 9, 1838 in Saratoga Co, NY. His parents were Isaac and
Agnes E. (Alexander) Hayes of Galway, Saratoga Co, NY, where his
father was born Dec. 14, 1799.
Mr. T.A. Hayes was married in Altona, IL., Nov. 22, 1884, to
Jennie C. Swan, who was born Feb. 22, 1862. Their children are:
George Ferris, born March 29, 1886; E. Alexander, born June
14, 1888; Agnes E., born Jan. 14, 1890; and Mabel May,
born Dec. 2, 1891.
Mr. Hayes has a farm of 110 acres, 20 of which are used for the
cultivation of hops. He is a member of the Presbyterian Church. In
politics he is a republican.