These biographies were
typed by Kathy Mills & Foxie Anderson Hagerty if u by chance see them on another
web site they are reproduced without giving proper credit where it is due. thank
you! We worked long & hard to get these online & I like giving credit where
credit is due. surprisingly others do not feel the same. Thank you & enjoy.
Click here to email me; Thanks!
Jackson, Edward L
., Farmer; Lynn
Township; born Mar 19, 1838 in Goshen, Ohio; his grandparents were
Jothan H. Jackson of Ireland, and Mary Jackson of England; his father,
P. M. Jackson was born May 15, 1807 in New York; his mother, Jane (Meek)
Jackson, was born June 7, 1812 in Ohio.
He was married in
Abingdon, IL, Nov. 2, 1859 to Rhoda M. Morey, who was born Feb 22,
1843. Their children are: C. P., born Nov. 30, 1861; A. M., born July
26, 1863; C. A., born May 26, 1872. Their children are all married. C.
P. Jackson is a manufacturer of shoes in De Kalb County, and A. M. is a
Mrs. E. L. Jackson was a school teacher. Her father was Amos
Morey, a Methodist preacher who began his ministry in 1853, and died at
Lafayette in 1892.
Mr. Jackson is a Methodist. In politics he is a democrat.
Jaquith, Weber Andrew
, son of
Nathaniel and Prudence Jaquith, was born at Andover, Vermont, Feb. 28,
1828. His parents were of French Protestant (Huguenot) descent, and were
born at Windsor, VT.
Mr. W. A. Jaquith located in Salem
Township, Knox Co, IL. in 1854, and began farming. He was married April
8, 1855 to Susan E. Macklin, a daughter of William Macklin, an old
settler of Bureau Co, IL. She was born in Delaware in 1833.
Their daughter, Mrs. Nettie J. Corbin, was born in Salem
Township, Jan. 10, 1859. She was educated in the Farmington graded
schools and was married Aug. 30, 1892 to Charles Melvin Corbin, a grain
merchant and owner of the Yates City Elevator. Mr. Corbin was born at
Avon, IL. Nov. 17, 1859 and educated in the Yates city schools. His
father was Richard Corbin of Ohio. Mr. and Mrs. Corbin live at Yates
City where they have a handsome residence.
Mr. and Mrs. Jaquith accumulated a considerable fortune by
industry and hard labor. They were members of the Methodist Episcopal
Church for 25 years. Mr. Jaquith was always active in church work,
having been Steward, Trustee and Class-leader.
Mrs. Jaquith, who died Feb. 1, 1891, was a good neighbor and
friend, and a generous contributor to the church; she was the loving
companion of her daughter, Nettie, who had the care of her parents in
their declining years.
Mr. Jaquith was a man of excellent character and led an
exemplary life. He was a democrat for many years, but later became a
prohibitionist. He died May 11, 1891.
Jarvis, Samuel, Farmer; Victoria; born Dec. 5, 1829 at Long
Island; educated in the common schools.
He was married to Mary E. Dean in Victoria in 1857. Their
children are: Fannie, Jennie and Hetty.
His second marriage was with Hannah Sornberger in
Victoria. They have one child, Lena.
Mr. Jarvis learned the carpenter’s trade in New York City and
came to Victoria in 1855. He worked at his trade and farmed for several
years, and then moved into the village. Mr. Jarvis is a republican. In
1888 he was appointed Postmaster and held the office till 1893; he was
deputy for three years, re-appointed, and now holds the office at the
present time. He is a prominent Mason, and was Master for ten years;
Deputy Grand Master for the Thirteenth District of Illinois; Deputy
Grand Lecturer of the State, and has been Assessor and School
Director. Mr. Jarvis is a member of the Methodist Church.
, Farmer; Victoria;
born Dec. 5, 1829 at Long Island; educated in the common schools.
He was married to Mary E. Dean in Victoria in 1857. Their children
are: Fannie, Jennie and Hetty.
His second marriage was with Hannah Sornberger in
Victoria. They have one child, Lena.
Mr. Jarvis learned the carpenter’s trade in New York City and
came to Victoria in 1855. He worked at his trade and farmed for several
years, and then moved into the village. Mr. Jarvis is a republican. In
1888 he was appointed Postmaster and held the office till 1893; he was
deputy for three years, re-appointed, and now holds the office at the
present time. He is a prominent Mason, and was Master for ten years;
Deputy Grand Master for the Thirteenth District of Illinois; Deputy
Grand Lecturer of the State, and has been Assessor and School
Director. Mr. Jarvis is a member of the Methodist Church.
Jelliff, Frederick Reuben
Journalist; Galesburg; born Sept. 25, 1854, at Whitesboro,
NY. He was educated at Knox College, from which he graduated in
1878. His parents were Fletcher G. and Mary (Wilcox)
Jelliff. After graduating, he taught in the high school at
Galesburg for three years. In 1882 he became a reporter for the
and in 1896 was made acting editor.
Feb. 25, 1896, Mr. Jelliff was married at Galesburg, to
Lillian C. Bassler. In politics he is a republican.
, Farmer; Indian Point
Township; born Nov 24, 1832 in Clinton Co, OH.; educated in the common
schools. His father, also Elisha John, was a native of Tennessee; his
mother, Elizabeth (Brown) was born in Virginia. His paternal
grandfather, Ebenezer John, was a native of Wales; his maternal
grandfather, Christopher Brown, came from Germany.
In 1853, in
Ohio, he married Rachel Lewis; they had four children: Mandaville, Mary
E., Edwin, and Samuel.
Mrs. John was a daughter of George W. Lewis, who came to
Illinois about 1829 and first settled near Danville; in 1858, he came to
Knox County, and later moved to Missouri, where he died.
Mr. John came from Ohio to Indian Point Township in 1856, and
bought a small farm. In 1862 he enlisted in Company K, Seventh IL.
Cavalry, and served until 1865. He was in many hard battles, and was
wounded Feb. 22, 1863.
He has been a very successful farmer and stockman, and owns 540
acres of land. He has given each of his sons a good farm. Mr. John is a
republican in politics, and always takes a keen interest in public
affairs. In religion he is a Christian.
Township; born in Sweden Mar 23, 1838, where he was educated in
the common schools. He has been three times married; first to
Charlotte Wahlstrom, who died and left three children: Peter,
Mary and Victor. His second wife was Emma Johnson, who died and
left two children: Jennie and August. His present wife was Clara
B. Larson. They have one child, Arthur.
Mr. Johnson is a
member of the Lutheran Church. He came from Sweden in 1869 and
for some time worked for the Chicago, Burlington and Quincy
Railroad; he afterwards followed coal mining for fifteen
years. In 1886 he began farming on Section 35, Galesburg
Township, where he still resides. He is regarded as one of the
substantial farmers of the southeastern part of the township. In
politics, Mr. Johnson is a republican.
Johnson, Edward G
Engineer; Galesburg, born March 8, 1859 in Aurora, IL; educated
in the common schools. His parents were John Spencer and Eliza
(Brown) Johnson of New Jersey.
He married Ethel Tennery
at Aurora, Aug. 5, 1884; they had one child, Lorin E.
His mother was a daughter of one of the first settlers
Mr. Johnson began work, Mar 9, 1874, in the Engine
Department of the Chicago, Burlington and Quincy Railroad, and
since 1879 he has been in the employ of that company as a
locomotive engineer. In 1889 he removed from Aurora to
Mrs. Johnson was a daughter of Robert and Anna (Fitch)
Tennery of Aurora.
Business; Galesburg; born Dec. 5, 1850 in Philadelphia; educated
He was married to Raenna Butler, Nov. 10,
1870 at Galesburg. They have one child, A. B.
Mr. Johnson is a republican, and has held the office of
Supervisor. He is a member of the Methodist Church.
Johnson, John H.,
Knoxville; teacher of Automatic Penmanship; born in Knox
Township Dec. 3, 1869. His parents, Swen and Nellie (Nelsdotter)
Johnson, were born in Sweden, as were also his paternal and
maternal grandfathers, John Swenson and Peter Nydahl.
March 30, 1892, in Altona, Mr. Johnson was married to Ida
C. Quick, daughter of Charles J. and Frederica (Carlson) Quick,
both of whom were natives of Sweden. Mr. Quick was born April
109, 1823 and was educated in his native land. Nine children
were born to Mr. and Mrs. Quick: G. Alfred, Frank W., Charles
G., Claus, Andrew, August, Otto, Ida C., and Anna L. The
ancestry is Swedish on both sides.
Mr. and Mrs. Johnson are members of the Lutheran
Church, in which Mr. Johnson is Secretary and Deacon. They have
two children: Hulda C. A. and Nellie F. Mr. Johnson is a
Johnson, Olof G
Indian Point Township; born Sept. 21, 1842 in Sweden, where he
received his education and learned the shoemaker’s trade. His
father, Gilbert Johnson, was born in Sweden in 1801.
1865, Olof G. Johnson came from Sweden and began to work at his
trade for five years. In 1873 he began farming, and in 1888,
bought his present farm, to which he has added until he now owns
200 acres of fine land. He is one of the successful farmers of
his section of the county.
Feb. 5, 1872, Mr. Johnson was married in Knoxville to
Ingrid Swanson; they have three children: Grant O., Kirk M., and
Victor L. In religion Mr. Johnson is a Protestant. He is a
Jones, Charles H
and Machinist; Lynn Township; born Aug 8, 1864 at Wooster, Ohio;
his grandfather, Charles H. Jones, and his maternal
grandparents, J. C. and Amelia Jaynes, came from England. His
parents were Walter N. and Adaline (Jaynes) of Ohio.
was married in Galva, Nov. 7, 1888, to Jennie Todd, who was born
June 1, 1871. Their children are: Milo Todd, born Dec. 4, 1890;
Vachel Hamilton Todd, born June 27, 1893; and Jennie May, born
Mar 6, 1898.
Mrs. Jones is a member of the Eastern Star,
Lafayette. Mr. Jones owns a farm of 160 acres on Section 11,
Lynn Township. In addition he runs a threshing machine, a corn
sheller, a feed mill, a saw mill, and a blacksmith shop. Mr.
Jones is a Methodist. In politics he is a republican.
Jones, Frank P
Galesburg; born in 1850 in Alton, New Hampshire; educated in the
He was married in May, 1872, to Nora
Grace Bean, born in Gilford, N.H. They have one son, John H.,
who is also engaged upon the railroad.
Mr. Jones began railroading in 1873 with the Boston and
Lowell Railroad. He came to Galesburg in 1888, and was employed
by the Chicago, Burlington and Quincy Railroad Company as
engineer, a position which he still holds.
, Maquon; Farmer;
born in Rochester, NY, Aug. 12, 1828; educated in Allegheny Co,
NY. His father, Peter Jones, and his paternal grandparents,
Phineas and Hannah (Harris) Jones, were natives of Vermont. His
mother, Caroline (Fink) was a native of New York, and her
father, John Fink, was born in the Mohawk Valley; John Fink’s
wife, Sarah (Crane) was a native of England. Peter Jones was
twelve years old when the family moved from Vermont to
Rochester, NY. Mr. and Mrs. Peter Jones’ children are: Josiah
E.; Horace; John; Sarah (deceased); Walter; Catherine; Mary A.
(deceased); and Warren.
John Jones came to Knox County
with his parents in 1835 and settled in Maquon, which was then a
wilderness. The nearest mill was 50 miles away, but one was
later built at a distance of 20 miles. In August 1862, Mr. Jones
enlisted in the Eighty-third IL. Volunteer, and was
elected Second Lieutenant in Company G. He served three
years and came home as First Lt. He helped organize a colored
regiment at Fort Donelson, and was offered the position of
Lieutenant-Colonel but declined. At Fort Donelson he acted as
Adjutant General for four months and was then made Quartermaster
of the Post. He was a strong abolitionist, and spoke his views
After the war he farmed until 1876, when he located in
Maquon where he has been Postmaster for fifteen years. He spent
four years in California as a miner and merchant. Mr. Jones is a
Liberal in religion. In politics he is a republican.
Nov. 2, 1854, Mr. Jones was married in Knoxville to
Mary R. White, a daughter of John White of Knoxville, an early
settler. Five of their children are now living: Mrs. Hulda C.
Penman, Mrs. Mary W. Embick, Mrs. Kate M. Gifford, Emma H., and
Mrs. Jones died July 5, 1888, aged fifty-one years.
Junk, James Elva
Henderson Township, where he was born April 20, 1864; educated
in the same township. His parents were Thomas and Maria
(Kilgore) Junk, of Fayette Co, PA; his paternal grandparents
were James and Eliza (Rankin) Junk of the same county and State;
and his maternal grandfather was James Kilgore, of PA.
Mr. Junk was married to Carrie Blanche Hampton in
Galesburg, Dec. 24, 1891; their children are: Fred Hampton,
Geneva Jane, and Dorothy.
Mr. Junk is a member of the Methodist Church. He is a
Johnson, C. H
Galesburg; came from Germany with his father; educated in the common
schools. He was employed as brakeman in 1870 by the Chicago, Burlington
and Quincy Railroad Company, and in 1875, he was made conductor.
In 1876 he was married to Bessie Munson; their children are
Clarence, a student in college; and Nellie, a teacher, and a graduate of
Knox Conservatory of Music.
Galesburg; Lumber Merchant, born April 22,
1839 in Ireland, where he was educated.
Mr. Keefe was
married in Galesburg Dec. 22, 1864 to Winnifred O’Hare. They have 8
children: John Bernard, Francis Ambrose, Winnifred Cecilia, Ursula
Marie, Catherine Teresa, Agatha Ito, Anastasia Louise, and Regina.
In religion Mr. Keefe is a Catholic. In politics he is a
Kellogg, Harvey E.,
Merchant; Galesburg; born Feb. 6,
1849 at Sheffield, MA; educated in MA and at Hedding
College, Abingdon. His paternal grandparents, Elisha and
Jane (Saxton) Kellogg and his father, James E., were born in
Sheffield, MA. His mother, Jennette Warner, daughter of
Harvey DeForest and Elizabeth (Clark) Warner, were natives
For thirteen and a half years Mr.
Kellogg was employed as a salesman for the O.T. Johnson
Company. Oct. 12, 1889 he formed a partnership with E.R.
Drake, Alfred Olson, and N.P.Nelson, under the firm name of
Kellogg, Drake and Company, dry goods, and in 1894, the firm
name was changed to Kellogg, Drake and Olson
Kendall, Paul Raymond
was born in Phillipston, Massachusetts,
Aug 27, 1822. He was the son of Paul Raymond and Jane (Nickerson)
Kendall, both of whom were natives of Massachusetts.
Kendall family are of English descent and came to this country in
1636, settling in Woburn, MA. They are of a strong and sturdy race
and are endowed with superior intellectual powers.
Paul Raymond, in his youth, had all the trials and
experiences of the average New England boy. He was not born into
luxury and wealth; but even in his early years, he had to do his
part to earn the means of subsistence. He laid the foundation of his
education by attending the district school of his native
town. Having a quick mind, and naturally studious, he soon became a
proficient scholar. He next entered an academy at Swanzey, N. H.,
where he fitted for college. He then matriculated in Norwich
University, which was under the charge of General Truman B. Ransom,
who fell in storming the heights of Chapultepec, Mexico, and
graduated with very high honors, July 7, 1847.
Immediately after his graduation, he entered upon his
life-work as an educator. He first took charge of an academy in
Sharpsburg, Kentucky, where he remained about two years. In 1849, he
became the Principal of the Western Liberal Institute, located at
Marietta, Ohio. The success of this institution led to the founding
of a similar one at Galesburg, IL, and in the autumn of 1852,
Professor Kendall became its Principal. The following year, college
powers were granted to it, and he became its first President. He
soon conceived the idea of converting it into a real college. He
stood alone. There was not a single Trustee that favored his
project. In June, 1854, he invited the Rev. Dr. Weaver, who was then
pastor of a church in St. Louis, to plead the cause of the
prospective college before the Board of Trustees. Dr. Weaver came,
and a day was spent in discussion of the subject. At last consent
was given under the conditions that Professor Kendall should raise
the necessary funds for an endowment and for the erection of
buildings. He invited Dr. J.V. N. Standish to become the Acting
President while he was in the field canvassing for funds. During his
three years’ work, he secured from $60,000 to $75,000, and from the
largest contributor, Benjamin Lombard, for whom the institution was
named, $20,000. The college charter was secured Feb 14, 1857. No
college ever had a more indomitable worker than President
Kendall. His zeal always outran his execution; and yet, his
execution was two-fold. Without his mighty efforts, assisted by Drs.
Weaver and Standish, Lombard University would never have been. It
stands today as a monument to his brain and labors.
President Kendall had not only a military education, but a
heart full of patriotism. In 1861, he engaged in the volunteer
recruiting service in Illinois, Kansas, and Missouri, and raised the
greater part of the Eighth Kansas Infantry Volunteers, the
Eighty-third, Ninety-second, and One Hundred and Second Illinois
Infantry Volunteers, and the Twelfth Missouri Cavalry. In 1863, he
was commissioned First Lieutenant and Quartermaster of the Twelfth
Missouri Volunteer Cavalry. In 1864, he was assigned to General
Hatch’s staff as Quartermaster of his division of the Army of the
Tennessee. At the close of the war, he was ordered to Fort
Leavenworth, as recorder of a military commission, and remained till
In 1868, he became a teacher again, taking charge of
Clinton Liberal Institute in Central New York. In 1870, he was
invited to the Presidency of Smithson College at Logansport,
Indiana, where he remained for four years. Again, he became
connected with Clinton Institute and effected its removal to Fort
Plain, New York. For this institution, he raised a large fund and
served one year as Professor. He then retired to private life,
crowned with many honors.
Intellectually, President Kendall was a superior man. He
had a diversified talent and was a superior scholar. He was known
for his quickness of perception, kindness of heart, sincere
affection, and true friendship. He labored for others rather than
for himself and was constantly making personal sacrifices for the
public good. He believed in every kind of improvement and spent his
life in working for the elevation of humanity.
In 1894 he was stricken with partial paralysis, from which
he never recovered. He lived with his daughter in Canton, NY, where
he died April 4, 1897; in the seventy-fifth year of his age.
President Kendall was twice married. First, Nov. 6, 1847,
to Abby A. Weaver, of Rockingham, VT, who died a few years later,
leaving one daughter, Mrs. Abbie S. Cleveland. His second marriage
was Nov. 6, 1853, to Caroline S. Woodbury, of Bethel, Vermont. Of
this union three daughters were born: Marion, Flora and
Gertrude. The first two are living.
Kennedy, George W.,
son of George and Nancy (Tedlock)
Kennedy, was born in Rush Co, IN., Jan 29, 1833. The progenitor of
this branch of the Kennedy family came from Ireland in a sailing
vessel. The voyage lasted six months, during which period an
acquaintance was formed between himself and a beautiful English
maiden on board, and they were married immediately after landing in
America. They settled in Tennessee, where their descendants became
numerous and widely connected in several of the southern States,
notably in Tennessee and Kentucky.
The grandparents of George W. Kennedy were William P. and
Elizabeth (Parcell) Kennedy. The grandfather, born in Green Co, TN,
was a farmer and mechanic. They were members of a church all their
lives, first the Presbyterian and later the Methodist Episcopal. He
died in Iowa and his wife in Indiana. George Kennedy, father of
George W., was born in Green Co, TN, where he was reared on a
farm. He married Nancy Tedlock, daughter of James Tedlock, who
belonged to a family of whom several were men distinguished in the
professions. They moved to Rush Co., Indiana. Mrs. Kennedy died in
Hancock Co in the same state. Mr. Kennedy was thrice married and his
last wife, Dorothy, is now living in Stark Co, IL. She was reared in
Elba Township, Knox Co, where her father, John Thurman, was an early
settler. He died in Salem Township, Feb. 3, 1884.
George W. Kennedy came from Indiana with his father in
1847, and settled in Salem Township, where he lived 10 years. His
educational advantages were limited, having attended a district
school for only a few months.
He was married in Salem Township, Nov. 1, 1857 to Eliza
Thurman, who was born Dec. 20, 1835. Mrs. Kennedy was the daughter
of John and Matilda Thurman, who came to Illinois in 1828 and to
Elba Township in 1832. The children born to Mr. and Mrs. Kennedy
were: Dorothy Charlotte, born July 29, 1858; Daniel Webster, born
Nov, 9, 1859, died April 14, 1860; William Albert, born May 4, 1862,
died Jan. 12, 1866; Rosa May, born May 27, 1867; Charles Edwin, born
Oct. 27, 1869; Clara Bell, born may 27, 1872, and Martha Elice, born
Oct. 30, 1875. Dorothy Charlotte was married to Andrew Riordon in
Aug. 1877; they have one child, Bessie, who was married to B. Hunter
in 1894. Charles married Minnie Ralston, whose father was a soldier
in the Civil War, One hundred and Second Regiment, Illinois
Politically Mr. Kennedy is a democrat. He takes an interest
in education, and the first school meeting of the District was held,
and the School Board was organized, in his house. He has been School
Director 18 years and has held the office of Road Commissioner. He
is a Royal Arch Mason, Eureka Chapter, No. 97, Yates City.
In 1866 he introduced short-horn cattle into Elba Township,
and in 1881 he completed his herd by purchases from J. R. Gay, of
Versailles, Kentucky, and thus became the owner of the first herd of
short-horn cattle in that township. His herd has numbered as high as
126, and he now has 100 head. Sales have been made in 13 different
States at remunerative prices, one animal having brought six hundred
and sixty dollars. Mr. Kennedy has a fine farm of 480 acres of land
in Elba Township, owns 280 acres elsewhere, and has a good residence
and other substantial buildings. He is a prosperous farmer.
: Farmer and General Grocer; Salem
Township, where he was born Sept. 25, 1854; educated in the
common schools. His father, Jacob Kennedy, went from
Maryland to Ohio, and from there removed to Salem Township
in 1846 where he followed farming until his death in
1891. His mother, Mabel (McDougall), was born in Ohio; died
Oct. 30, 1877, Mr. Loren Kennedy married Laveny
Howsher in Salem Township; there are five children: Grace
Mabel, born Mar 14, 1880; William E., born Jan 12, 1882;
Mertie N., born May 1884; Murial, born June 1887; Frankie,
born in 1891.
Mrs. Kennedy was born in Iowa in July 1860. Her
parents were William and Sarah (Merchant) Howsher. She is a
member of the Baptist Church.
Mr. Kennedy farmed until 1892, when he went into
the general merchandise business. He is an Odd Fellow and a
member of the Modern Woodmen of America. In politics, he is
Kermeen, R. P.,
Farmer; Lynn Township; where he was born
June 20, 1865; grandparents were James and Mary Kermeen;
parents, James and Julia (Carlett) Kermeen, came from the Isle
of Man (1849), locating at Brimfield, Peoria County; removed in
1858 to Lynn Township.
R. P. Kermeen was born June 20,
1865; educated in the common schools; married June 21, 1894 to
Anna M. Wade of Henry County; one child, Frederick Wade, born
Oct. 1, 1897.
Mrs. Kermeen was born in the Isle of Man in 1871 and
came to America in 1890; Methodist. Mr. Kermeen is a democrat,
and holds the office of Road Commissioner
, Farmer; Cedar Township; born Oct
15, 1840 in Greene Co, PA; educated in the common
schools. His father was William Ketchem.
Ketchem enlisted in Aug. 1862, in Company F, Fifteenth
PA Cavalry, and served until July 1865. In 1866 he came
to Illinois and worked by the month in Warren Co, for 7
Feb. 6, 1873, in Greene Co, PA, he was married
to Margaret A. Sprout, and settled in Warren Co. In 1880
he came to Indian Point Township, Knox Co, and eight
years ago to the farm where he now lives.
Mr. Ketchem is a republican, and was elected
Highway Commissioner in 1893, and again in 1899. He has
always taken a keen interest in town affairs. In
politics he is a republican. In religion, Mr. Ketchem is
Kewley, Edward L.,
Farmer; Lynn Township; born
Jan 11, 1863, in Henry Co. IL. His parents were Edward
and Ann (Craine) Kewley, who came from the Isle of Man;
educated in the common schools.
He was married
in Henry Co, IL, Jan. 16, 1889 to Edith H. Clucas, who
was born Dec. 4, 1870 in Henry County. Their children
are: Myrtle A., born Feb. 12, 1890 and Margie L., born
Sept 9, 1892.
Mr. Kewley is a member of the I.O.O. F. Lodge
No 408, Galva, and of Maple Grove Grange, No. 1680. Mr.
Kewley is a Methodist. In politics he is a republican,
and has been a School Director.
Kightlinger, T. J.,
Yates City; born in Elba Township,
Knox Co. July 28, 1840; educated in the common schools. His
parents, Jacob and Maria A. (Berfield) Kightlinger, were born in
Crawford Co, PA; Jacob was born Nov 16, 1800 and died July 18,
1887; Maria A. was born Mar 30, 1806 and died July 16, 1886. His
paternal grandfather was Isaac Kightlinger.
Mr. T. J.
Kightlinger’s first wife, Margaret Peck, was born in PA in
1850. There were four children: Harley C., born Mar 22, 1869;
Gertrude F., born June 3, 1871; Walter L., born Jan 8, 1874;
Lura G., born June 109, 1876.
In 1885 he married Salina Shaffer in Galesburg; Major
McKee performed the ceremony. Mrs. Kightlinger was born in Ohio,
1841; she is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church, and has
been a teacher in the public schools.
Mr. Kightlinger left his farm in 1881 and moved to
Yates City, where he has been City Marshal two terms; member of
the City Board two terms, and Justice of the Peace and Police
Magistrate twelve years. He is a member of the I.O.O.F., Lodge
No. 370, Yates City. He has always taken a prominent part in
politics, and has been delegate to county and State
conventions. He has practiced law in justice courts and acts as
collection agent for the sale and rental of town and other
properties. In religion he is a Universalist. In politics he is
Kimler, Thornton Walker
, Farmer; Elba Township; born Sept
22, 1864 in Elba Township; educated in Eugene; his grandparents,
Evan L. and Love (Walker) Kimler, came from Virginia; his
father, John H. Kimler, was born in Indiana, Nov. 7, 1825 and
died Nov. 12, 1888; his mother, Mary Jane (Lane) Kimler, of
Kentucky, was born in 1830; her father was William Lane of
Mr. Kimler was married in Yates City, IL, July
10, 1884, to Martha V. Adams. She was born in PA, June 7, 1865,
and was the daughter of C.C. and Martha Ann (Blane) Adams; the
father was born in PA in 1826 and the mother was born in 1831
and died in 1879.
The children of Mr. and Mrs. Kimler are: Forest B.,
born Dec 30, 1885; Wrongnel M., born Jan 28, 1888; Carrie, born
Nov 19, 1890, died Mar 23, 1895; Charles Walker, born Mar 27,
1893; Courtney W., born Feb. 9, 1896; and Dallie D., born Dec.
Mr. Kimler has an excellent farm of 160 acres and fine
buildings on Section 11. He is a democrat and is Road
Commissioner and School Director; he is a member of the I.O.O.
F. No. 370, Yates City. Mr. Kimler has been a coal miner.
King, Edward J.,
Lawyer; Galesburg; born July 1, 1867 at
Springfield, MA; educated in Galesburg. His parents were J.A.
King of Suffield, CT, and Alice (Houghton) King, of Springfield,
MA. His paternal grandparents, Albert and Louise King, and his
maternal grandparents, Albert and Louise Houghton, were natives
Mr. E. J. King spent his early life on a farm in
Massachusetts. In 1880 he came to Galesburg and entered the
public schools, graduating from the high school in 1886. He then
taught school for one year, and in 1887, entered Knox College,
graduating in 1891. He studied law in the office of James A.
McKenzie, and was admitted to the Bar in March 1893. In April,
1894, he was elected City Attorney of Galesburg by an
overwhelming majority. In politics he is a republican.
Mr. King was married Jan. 1, 1895 in Galesburg to May
B. Roberts. They have one son, Ivan Roberts.
Roadmaster; Galesburg; born in Peoria County,
IL. in 1859. He is a son of Philip King. In 1872, he and his
father were employed as section hands by the Chicago, Burlington
and Quincy Railroad Company.
He was married to Anna
McGann in 1882, and has four sons and one daughter, Philip,
Michael, John, Timothy, and Margarette.
Mr. King held the position of yardmaster in Peoria for
15 years and was then made road-master of the Peoria
division. In politics he is a democrat.
Farmer, Soldier, and Miner; born in Haw
Creek Township, Mar 1, 1839 and educated in Maquon. His father,
Jesse Kinser, and his grandfather Elisha Kinser, were born at
Lynchburg, VA. Mr. Jesse Kinser was a farmer who went to Indiana
where he married Phoebe Housh, a native of Lawrence Co, IN, and
the daughter of Adam Housh. Mr. Jesse Kinser came to Knox Co. in
1837 and settled in the northeast corner of Chestnut Township.
Mr. Adam Kinser was engaged in farming until his
enlistment in Company A., Fourteenth Illinois Cavalry. After an
honorable discharge at Camp Nelson, Kentucky, Dec. 13, 1864, he
returned home and has since been granted a pension for injuries
received during the war. In the spring of 1866, he journeyed
overland to Virginia City, Montana, his company having several
skirmishes with the Indians en route. After six years of rough
but enjoyable mining life he returned to Knox County but went
west again to western Missouri and eastern Kansas, where he
successfully invested some money in a threshing machine and
dealt in real estate for several years.
Nov. 27, 1872 he was married to Olive Straley at West
Point, Missouri. She is the daughter of Elias and Elizabeth
(Edge) Straley of Virginia and Ohio, respectively. Elias Straley
kept a hotel in Independence, Missouri, and then began farming
in Miami Co, KS.
Mr. and Mrs. Kinser have six children: William C., Alva
A., Maud May, Emma Myrtle, Robert L., and Cecil K.
On the death of his father, he returned to Knox County
and has resided in Maquon since 1880. After a short period of
business life he retired and in 1897 was re-elected Police
Justice, an office which he has filled with great tact and
ability. In politics he is a republican.
Knowles, Gilbert L., Dr
.; son of William and Lucinda
(Robinson) Knowles, was born Aug 13, 1846, in Macomb, McDonough
Co, IL. The genealogy of the family has its origin in England,
and has included among its members many who were prominent in
the world of art and letters. David Knowles, the grandfather of
Gilbert L., was born and educated in Maryland, and moved to
Washington, D. C., where he was a contractor and builder. He was
married to Jane Roby. Four children were born to them: William,
Robert, Mary and Hamilton. Mr. Knowles was a whig. He died in
Washington at the age of 65. The sons of this family were all
mechanics. William, the oldest, moved with his family to Macomb,
IL in 1839, where he worked at his trade of contractor and
builder. He built the first substantial dwelling in McDonough
County. He died in 1873, aged 73 years. His wife died in 1877,
at the age of 67. They had six children: Charles, James,
Robinson, Jane, Gilbert L., and Mary. James was drowned in the
Sheridan River, Missouri, in 1858.
Gilbert L. Knowles
was educated in the schools of Macomb and at Hedding College,
Abingdon, which institution he entered at the age of 24, and
from which he graduated with the degree of B. S. While at
Abingdon he read medicine with Dr. Reece, who was one of the
most prominent physicians in the Military Tract. Mr. Knowles
entered Rush Medical College of Chicago in 1878 and graduated in
1881. In the spring of 1881, he located in Knoxville, and moved
to Maquon in the fall of the same year.
Dr. Knowles is indebted to his own untiring efforts for
his success in life, having earned, unaided, the expenses for
his literary and professional education. He has an extensive and
lucrative practice, and enjoys the confidence and esteem of his
Dr. Knowles is a republican, and held the office of
Coroner in Knox County for six years, his term of service ending
in the fall of 1892.
, Retired Farmer; Yates City, Salem Township;
born Sept 29, 1824 in Marshall Co, W. V.; educated in the common
schools. His father, James Knox, was born in Fayette Co, PA in
1798 and died in 1842; his mother, Margaret (Robinson) was born
in Marshall Co. W.V.; her father, William Robinson, was a native
Mar 15, 1849, Mr. Knox was married in
Marshall Co., W.V. to Mary A., daughter of Brice and Sarah
(Rush) Blair. Ten children were born to them: George M., born
Dec 15, 1851; William L., born May 28, 1854; Brice Blair, born
Aug 7, 1855; Frank, born Oct 2, 1857; Joseph P., born Sept 24,
1860; Sarah M., born May 27, 1862; Charles Lincoln, born Nov 4,
1864; John M., born Feb. 16, 1868; Oscar B., born Aug. 12, 1869;
and Samuel E., born Aug. 17, 1871.
Mrs. Knox is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church
and of the society of the “White Ribbon”.
Mr. Knox came to Peoria County in the fall of 1850. He
owns a farm in Iowa of 277 acres. He has been a member of the
Grange. He is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church. In
politics he is a populist
Kooser, S. P.,
Engineer; Galesburg; born in Fayette Co,
PA., Feb. 28, 1853, where he was educated. His parents were
Samuel Kooser of Somerset Co, PA, and Sarah (Kern) Kooser, of
Fayette Co.; his paternal grandparents, Peter and Rebecca
(Moore) Kooser, were also of Somerset Co.; his maternal
grandparents, William and Sarah (Pritz) Kern, came from Fayette
Mr. Kooser was first married to Sarah E. Myers;
they had two children, Alice and Albert. His second marriage was
with Mrs. Laura V. Cunningham, at Pittsburg, PA, Oct. 2,
1883. They have three children living, Robert G., Bernice L.,
and Ruby C. Mrs. Kooser had one daughter, Cora Agnes, by her
first husband, Robert M. Cunningham. Her maiden name was
Schoenfelder, and her family history dates back to 1730 in this
country; and in the old country, to the “Seven Years’ War”
between the Allies and Frederick the Great. Peter Schoenfelder
was private secretary to one of the chief officers of the Allies
and led by religious fervor rather than by love of military
distinction, came to America in 1730. Mrs. Kooser’s grandfather,
also Peter Schoenfelder, was in the War of 1812. Her parents
were George Josiah and Elizabeth (Torner) Schoenfelder of
Pennsylvania and Virginia, respectively.
Mr. Kooser worked on the farm with his father until he
was twenty-one years of age; in addition to farming they
marketed horses in Philadelphia before the days of
railroads. When he was 22 he began to work as brakeman on the
Pennsylvania Railroad; was afterwards a flagman, and was a
conductor for seven years. In 1887 he was a fireman on the
Chicago, Burlington and Quincy Railroad, and in 1889 took the
position of engineer, which he now holds. In politics he is a
Lacy, George Lambkin
Farmer; Haw Creek Township; born on the Lacy homestead in Haw
Creek Township, Feb. 21, 1858; educated in Knox County. His
father is Peter Lacy of Knoxville.
Dec. 28, 1881, Mr.
Lacy was married in Knox County to Olive L. Russell; they have
four children: Rettie E., Clarence R., Thomas E., and Mary F.
Mrs. Lacy is the daughter of David and Mary A. (Rambo)
Russell, old settlers of Knox County.
Mr. Lacy was reared on the farm, and has 160 acres of
land, comprising the old homestead. He belongs to the Modern
Woodmen of America. In religion he is a Methodist. In politics
he is a democrat.
, Knoxville; Retired
Farmer and Lumber Merchant; born Nov 27, 1830, in Ohio, where he
received his education. His parents were Enos L. Lacy, born in
West Virginia, and Sarah (Wright), born in Clinton Co, Ohio. His
paternal grandparents were John J. Lacy, born in W. Virginia and
Ruth (Clevinger); his maternal grandfather was Abel Wright.
Sept. 24, 1855, he was married in Ohio to Lucinda
Woodmansee, daughter of George and Eliza (Olcraft)
Woodmansee. They had six children: Sarah L., George L., Laura
B., Retta J., Charles A., and Enos R.
Sarah L. was married to Alonzo T. Steele; they have six
children: Ella A., Arthur Roy, William, Harley, Lucinda, and
Fay. George L. was married to Ollie Russell; they have four
children: Retta, Clarence, Thomas, and Mary. Laura B. married
Edward McElwain; they have two children: Jennie and Ortie. Retta
J. was married first to Albert W. Young; they had one daughter,
Lulu. Mr. Young died in Feb. 1892. His widow was married to
Samuel V. Hannam; they have one daughter, Clara. Charles A.
married Elizabeth Russell; they have two children: Francelia and
Carl. Enos R. married Jessie Wilson; they have one son, Ralph.
George and Eliza (Olcraft) Woodmansee had ten children
who grew to maturity; Thomas, Mary, Lucinda, LeRoy, Adeline,
George, Xenophon, Francelia, Lorena, and Alonzo. Mr. Woodmansee
died in 1892; his widow is still living.
Mr. and Mrs. Lacy are members of the Episcopal
Church. Mr. Lacy has held the office of Alderman. In politics he
is a democrat.
Lander, John O.,
Merchant; born in Sweden, Sept. 26, 1838, where he was
educated. His parents were natives of Sweden; his father was
Olof Johnson; they had twelve children, four of whom are still
living: Johanna; Rev. H. Olson; Pernella, now Mrs. Anderson; and
April 15, 1867, in Knoxville, Mr. Lander was
married to Else Johnson. They have had six children: Clara A.,
Luther A., Louisa A., Ernest J., Emma F., and Nellie G. Clara A.
married Rev. H.P. Ottoson; Louisa A. married Alvin Anderson, and
they have one daughter, Margaret L.; Luther A. married Elizabeth
Van Gilder, and they have one son, Harvey. Ernest J. is a
student in Michigan University, Ann Arbor, Michigan.
Mr. Lander’s father died about 1864, and his mother
died soon after.
Mr. Lander enlisted July 1862 in Company E.
Eighty-third Illinois Volunteers, and was honorably discharged
at the close of the war. He is a member of G. W. Trafton Post,
No 239 of Knoxville, Grand Army of the Republic, Department of
Mr. and Mrs. Lander are members of the Lutheran
Church. In politics he is a republican.
Lanphere, George C.,
born in Oneida County, New York, June 30, 1814. He studied law
at Rome, NY and Oct 20, 1835 at Boonville, NY, married Miss
He came to Monmouth, IL. in 1838 and was County Judge
one term in Warren County; was also First Lieutenant in the
Judge Lanphere came to Galesburg in 1848; was
influential in assisting to secure a railroad through Galesburg,
which is now a part of the great Chicago, Burlington and Quincy
system; was Attorney for that road many years; was Postmaster in
Galesburg, and was County Judge.
Judge and Mrs. Lanphere celebrated their golden
wedding. At the time of his death, he was Past Eminent Grand
Commander of the Knights Templar of Illinois, and also an
attendant of the First Congregational Church of Galesburg, where
he died July 6, 1886.
Larson, Justus A.
Victoria Township; born June 14, 1858 in Copley Township, Knox
Co, IL. His father, Lewis Larson, was born in Sweden and came to
Copley Township in 1844. There were four sons and one daughter:
Henry G.; Justus A.; John W., deceased; Victor T.; and Ida M.
Mr. Larson was educated in the Galesburg Business
College. He was married to Elizabeth Challman in Walnut Grove
Township, Oct. 10, 1888. There was one son, Paul K. Larson.
Mr. Larson has always been a leader in town affairs. He
is Highway Commissioner of Victoria Township. He is a
Farmer; Walnut Grove Township; born in Sweden, Aug. 10, 1829,
where he was educated.
He was married to Hannah
Hawkinson, Oct. 13, 1855 at Knoxville, IL. There were four
children: John, Joshua, Hannah, and Anna.
Mr. Larson came to Knoxville in 1852, and in 1865,
bought a farm on the north line of Walnut Grove Township, where
he farmed until 1892, when he retired, and moved to Altona. He
is a member of the Lutheran Church.
Latimer, Franklin Joseph
was born at his present home in Cedar Township, April 15, 1840,
and has resided there all his life, following the occupation of
farming and fine stock breeding. His father, Jonathan Latimer,
was a native of Robinson Co, TN. And his paternal grandparents,
Joseph and Anna Dobbins Latimer, were natives of New London,
CT.; they were of English descent. His great-grandfather,
Jonathan Latimer, was a Colonel in the Revolutionary War, and
served under General Green. His mother, whose maiden name was
Nancy West, was the daughter of Jacob and Barsheba Polk West,
natives of N.C. Jacob West was a soldier in the war of 1812,
under General Jackson, and his wife was a cousin of President
James K. Polk.
On Nov. 25, 1872, Mr. Latimer was
married to Joana Humiston, at Atchison, Kansas. They have two
children, Guy J. and Lillian H.
Mr. Latimer finished his education at Knox College,
Galesburg, receiving his diploma in April 1864, when he enlisted
in the One Hundred and Thirty-seventh Illinois Volunteer
Infantry, serving until the close of the war. He entered as
color-bearer, and took part in the engagements with Forrest at
Memphis. Diplomas were granted by the college to members of that
class who volunteered their services in the war.
Mr. Latimer taught school in Lincoln University for two
years, and afterward studied medicine, but was compelled to
abandon it on account of defective sight. From 1870 to 1872, he
was a member of the Twenty-seventh Illinois General Assembly,
and again four years later, he was again chosen to the
legislature, serving two terms. In the Thirtieth and
Thirty-first assemblies he filled the important chair vacated by
Haines, chairman of the Committee on County and Township
Organbizations, discharging the duties of that perplexing
situation in a manner that gave him a creditable and state-wide
acquaintance. Politically, Mr. Latimer has always affilitated
with the republican party, being an enthusiastic advocate of its
principles. He has held the offices of Mayor of Abingdon;
Commander of Post 58, Grand Army of the Republic; Treasurer of
the Board of School Directors; President of the Agricultural
Society for ten years; a member of the Board of County
Supervisors for ten years; and held various minor offices of
trust and honor.
At present he is Chairman of the Board of County
Supervisors; township member of the Republican County Central
Committee; President of the Illinois Jersey Cattle Club, and
Vice President of the First National Bank of Abingdon. Mr.
Latimer has led an active and useful life, and has done much
toward the development of Knox County.
As a breeder of Jersey cattle he is known throughout
the United States, and has been the means of attracting buyers
of Jerseys to Abingdon from all parts of the Nation. In
political circles, both local and State, his opinions are highly
regarded, and his judgment upon all important questions given
the closest consideration.
In the annals of Knox County, as well as in those of
the commonwealth of Illinois, Mr. Latimer has attained an
enviable position by combining with tact and good judgment,
strict integrity and ability that is unquestioned.
Lawrence, Lucius A
son of Milton and Sylvia (Atwood) Lawrence, was born at
Hinesburg, Chittenden Co, VT., June 26, 1840. His parents
moved from their home in Hinesburg to Monkton, Addison Co,
VT, in 1841, and in 1861 came to Elba Township, Knox Co,
IL. His father was a man of strong, decisive character, and
unyielding disposition, combined with a very retentive
memory. He is now 83 years old. His mother was a kind a
gentle woman, who died March 25, 1857, in the 39th
The Lawrence family in this country is
descended from three brothers who came from England to the
Colonies in 1666, and settled in Massachusetts. One brother
went to Connecticut, and from him has sprung the present
family. The Lawrences were prominent in the early history of
New England, and representatives of the family still occupy
the old homestead at Lexington, MA., where their ancestors
settled more than two hundred years ago.
Lucius A. Lawrence’s opportunities for education
were confined to the district schools and to two terms in
Hinesburg Academy, where he studied the common English
branches, rhetoric, and algebra. He learned much, however,
from observation and diligent after-study, and now has a
critical facility in the use of the English language, as
well as a wide range of general information.
His childhood was spent on a sterile, unyielding
farm in Vermont, and he was taught to till the soil and care
for stock. He had few pastimes, his routine consisting of
steady hard work, regular attendance at the common school,
at church and Sabbath school, and to the observance of
strict unswerving obedience to his parents.
After leaving school, he farmed and taught in the
district schools of Salem and Elba Townships. Aug. 7, 1862,
he volunteered for war service, and became a member of
Company H, One Hundred and Second Illinois Infantry, which
was mustered into service at Knoxville, IL, Sept. 2,
1862. After preparatory drill, the regiment was ordered to
the field, and after crossing the Ohio River at Louisville,
Kentucky, Oct. 1, 1862, was brigaded with the One Hundred
and Fifth and One Hundred and Twenty-ninth Illinois
Infantry, and the Seventieth Indiana and Seventy-ninth Ohio
Volunteers. The brigade immediately took the field, and
helped to repel the invasion of Kentucky by the Confederate
army under General Bragg, going to Frankfort, and thence to
Bowling Green. The brigade was there made a part of the Army
of the Cumberland, commanded by General W. S. Rosecrans, in
which organization he served until the close of the war. His
regiment was engaged in garrison duty until the opening of
the Atlanta campaign at Chattanooga. From May 2, 1864, he
shared the fortunes of Sherman’s army that brought about the
fall of Atlanta September 1, 1864. He was in the hospital
from Oct. 30, 1864, to Jan. 1865, after which he rejoined
his regiment in the Carolinas, and participated in the last
campaign of the war, the surrender of the Confederate army
under General J. E. Johnson, April 26, 1865. He marched to
Washington, and was in the Grand Review May 24. He was
mustered out of service at Washington June 6, and discharged
at Chicago, June 15, 1865.
After the war, Mr. Lawrence again interested
himself in farming, until failing health compelled a change,
and, in March 1877, he removed to Yates City, IL, which is
his present home. In 1882, having regained his health, he
purchased the lumber stock of W. T. Wells, to which he added
a stock of farm implements, and managed the combined
business until Jan. 1899. In 1893, he purchased an interest
in the People’s Bank, of Yates City, which he still owns.
Mr. Lawrence was married to Mrs. Charlotte M.
Baird, March 21, 1869. She was the daughter of Moses and
Cynthia Wheeler, who came from Pennsylvania and settled in
Knox County in 1859. Mrs. Baird’s first marriage occurred in
1861. She had one daughter, Nora, who is the wife of Hugh A.
Sloan, the present Supervisor of Salem Township. Mr. Baird
enlisted in Company H., One Hundred and Second Illinois
Infantry, in Sept 1862, and was killed in battle at Resaca,
Georgia, May 15, 1864.
Five children have been born to Mr. and Mrs.
Lawrence: Alma E., born Mar 4, 1870, and died Mar 20, 1891;
Edwin P., born Dec 1, 1871; Arthur J., born Sept. 13, 1873;
Cynthia May and Sylvia June (twins), born Mar 1, 1878, and
died Aug. 16, and 21, 1878, respectively.
Mr. Lawrence was a member of the I.O.G.T. from 1867
to 1872. He became a member of the Grand Army of the
Republic in 1886, since which time he has held the position
of Commander or Adjutant, in Post No. 666, Department of
Illinois, at Yates City. He was a member of the Baptist
Church from 1857 to 1874, but is now a member of the
Presbyterian Church. In politics, he is a republican, and
was elected Supervisor of Elba Township in the years
1867-68-69, and in Salem Township in 1894. He served as
President of the City Council of Yates City during the years
1879-80-85-86-89, having been elected on the anti-license
ticket. He has been a member of the Yates City School Board
continuously since 1878, and, in 1880, he was elected
Justice of the Peace for Salem Township, and resigned in
Mr. Lawrence is one of the most prominent men of
his township, and is possessed of more than ordinary
erudition and breadth of mind, and holds advanced and
clearly defined views regarding current events.
Lawrence, Richard Austin:
Farmer; born in Littleton, MA, Sept 27, 1823, where he was
educated. His father, George Lawrence, was born in
Littleton; his mother, Rebecca Merriam was born at Concord,
in the same State. On the paternal side, his grandfather,
David Lawrence, was born in Littleton and his grandmother,
Martha (Adams) in Lincoln, MA; his great-grandfather, David
Lawrence, was born in Littleton, and his great-grandmother,
Hannah (Sawtell) in Groton, MA. On the maternal side his
grandfather, Joseph Merriam, was born in Concord, MA; his
grandmother was Lucy Wheeler. His maternal
great-grandfather, Josiah Merriam, was born in Concord, MA.
May 16, 1853, Mr. Lawrence married Ednah Miller in
Littleton. There were seven children of whom four are
living. George A. Lawrence, Fannie E. Vivion, Anna M. Linn,
and Bernard P. Lawrence.
In politics he is a republican.
Lawrence, Samuel F
Superintendent of Supply Department of the Chicago,
Burlington and Quincy Railroad; Galesburg; born in New York,
Nov 15, 1850. In 1865 he went with his family to Wisconsin,
where he was educated in the common schools.
In 1871 he took a business position in Chicago,
which he retained for seven years. He came to Galesburg in
1878, and entered the employ of the Chicago, Burlington and
Quincy Railroad Company as a clerk in the supply department
and was made General Superintendent of that department in
He is a member and an officer of the Methodist
Episcopal Church in Galesburg.
Lee, William Augustus
.: Farmer; Sparta Township, where he was born March 5,
1858, on the old Lee homestead, Section 6; educated in Knox
County. His parents, William A. and Betsey (Knowles) Lee,
were natives of New York State; his paternal grandfather was
Amos Lee. His father settled in Knox County at an early day,
and the son was reared on the farm where he became a
practical farmer and stockman; he received a good business
education at the Galesburg Business College. When he was
married he lived on section 5, where his father formerly
resided, and in 1882, moved to his present farm of 160
September 9, 1880, Mr. Lee was married to Jennie
May Patterson in Sparta Township. There are four children:
Freddie P., Bessie K., Jennie May, and George Edward.
Mrs. Lee’s father, William Stephen Patterson, came
at an early day from Ohio to Knox County and settled at
Henderson with his parents. There he learned the cooper’s
trade, but after his marriage he became a farmer and
stockman and was very successful. He gave his daughter,
Jennie, the advantages of an education at St. Mary’s,
Knoxville. Mrs. Lee is not only an accomplished and talented
lady, but also a devoted mother.
Mr. Lee is a republican. He holds the office of
Wesley, D. D.,
Rector of St. Mary’s School, Knoxville,
is distinguished as an educator and an organizer. In his
connection with the cause of education, he is entitled to be
remembered as a benefactor of the race.
Leffingwell is a New Englander by birth, and was born Dec.
5, 1840. He is the son of Rev. Lyman and Sarah Chapman
(Brown) Leffingwell, natives of Connecticut. His father was
brought up on the farm, and received his education mainly in
the public schools. After arriving at maturity, he was
educated in the higher branches and was fitted for the
ministry in the Methodist Church. After a successful
ministration for many years in different parishes, he died
in Knoxville, IL., in 1880, at the age of seventy-one.
The first of the family in this country was
Lieutenant Thomas Leffingwell, who was a leader in the
colony which settled in Norwich, Connecticut in 1635. He was
very friendly with Uncas and his Mohegan followers, and once
saved this tribe from their enemies, the Pequots. His
grandfather was Joseph Leffingwell, who was born in Norwich,
In his youth, Dr. Leffingwell had the usual
advantages of the New England public schools. He
supplemented this instruction by attending Temple School at
New Haven, where he was fitted to enter Yale College. He
finally chose Union College at Schenectady, NY, instead of
Yale, entering the sophomore class. He did not graduate
here. By too close application to study, he had impaired his
health, and consequently, was unable to finish his
course. He came to Illinois, whither his parents had
preceded him a short time before. On his arrival, he did not
long remain idle, and although only seventeen years of age,
he engaged in teaching near Dundee, Kane County. His next
service as a teacher was in the Military Institute at
Kirkwood, Missouri, where he remained one season. He then
accompanied Rev. Benjamin Eaton to Galveston, Texas, with
whom he remained several years. Here he taught a select
school, and at the same time, held the office of Deputy City
and County Surveyor. He remained at Galveston until the
commencement of the Civil War, when he returned to
Illinois. He then matriculated at Knox College with an
advanced standing, and graduated with high honors in the
class of 1862. His Alma Mater has since shown her
appreciation of his scholarship and ability by conferring
upon him, in 1875, the degree of Doctor of Divinity.
After graduation, he became connected with the
Military Institute at Poughkeepsie, NY as Vice-Principal—Dr.
C. B. Waring being Principal. During his three years’
service here, his aspirations for the Episcopal ministry
seemed to shape the destiny of his future
life-work. Immediately he put himself under the instruction
of Rev. Dr. Traver, of Poughkeepsie, and afterwards
completed his theological course in the Seminary at
Nashotah, Waukesha Co, Wisconsin. He graduated in 1867,
receiving the degree of Bachelor of Davinity. After his
ordination by Bishop Whitehouse, he became an assistant to
Rev. Dr. Rylance of St. James’ Church, Chicago, which
position he held for four months. He was then elected Tutor
in the Theological Seminary at Nashotah. His tutorship here
was of brief duration. Before a year had passed, he was
called by the Bishop of Illinois to establish a school for
girls in Knoxville. It was opened on Monday of Easter week,
1868, under the title of St. Mary’s School.
This school is under Episcopal supervision and the
property was given to the diocese under the condition that a
boarding and day school should be maintained there for a
period of five years. Under Dr. Leffingwell’s management its
growth was marvelous, and within four years, it had outgrown
its accommodations. A plan was adopted for the enlargement
of the building, and Hon. James Knox came forward with a
generous gift of ten thousand dollars. Others readily
responded. The church gave four thousand, and the Rector
advanced the large sum of twelve thousand five hundred
dollars. Soon the building was completed and furnished with
all the appurtenances which were necessary to make a
On the morning of Jan. 4, 1883, this structure,
which was the pride of Knoxville and the county, with all
its contents, was burned. A blackened mass of ruins marked
the spot where it once stood, a thing of beauty. The Rector,
undaunted, and with a spirit that did not quail in the
presence of misfortune, did not wait for the dying embers to
expire, but secured another building, the Ansgarius College
for his school. An annex, twenty-five by one hundred feet,
was built, and within a month, the school was in session
again. In May 1883, the work of reconstruction commenced,
and in October of the same year, St. Mary’s was completed on
a greatly improved plan and larger scale and opened for
St. Mary’s School has a wide reputation, and is
patronized by the best families far and near. The buildings
and grounds are artistically arranged, and an air of
neatness and taste pervades all the surroundings. As a home
for young ladies, it has no superior in Knox County. It has
been made what it is by that untiring worker and educator,
Dr. Leffingwell. By his efforts, he has lifted it to the
pinnacle of prosperity, and success. It has no ups and
downs, but is always full and flourishing.
Second only to his interest in his school is his
interest in “The Living Church”, a paper of which he
has been editor and proprietor for more than twenty
years. It has won its way to a leading position in the
Episcopal Church and has a national circulation. In
influence, it is second to none. Only a small portion of Dr.
Leffingwell’s time, however, is spent away from his duties
in St. Mary’s. His motive in conducting this enterprise has
not been for financial profit, but for the work’s sake, and
the good influence which might be thus exerted.
Dr. Leffingwell occupies not only a prominent
position as an educator, but also in church work. From the
time of the division of the Diocese of Illinois until the
present, he has been President of the Standing Committee and
Deputy of the General Convention of the Quincy
Bishopric. During the illness of the Bishop, he has been
twice elected President of the Diocesan Convention.
As a citizen, Dr. Leffingwell has lived a
remarkable life. Starting in the world without means, he has
acquired a competence by his industry and labor in fields of
usefulness. While pursuing his studies in the theological
school he supported himself and his family by organizing and
teaching a select school. His personal characteristics are
of the benevolent order. He is a thorough scholar, and is
practical in his dealings and teachings. He is kind in
disposition and agreeable to every one. A trinity of good
qualities forms the basis of his character—decision,
prudence, and discretion in all things.
Dr. Leffingwell was united in wedlock, June 23,
1862, to Elizabeth, daughter of John Francis. He was
formerly of Kent, England, but came to this country,
residing in Chautauqua County, NY.
Dr. and Mrs. Leffingwell have been the parents of
seven children: Anna and Bertha, who died in infancy; Alice,
deceased after graduation and marriage; Warring, Ernest,
Hortense, and Gertrude, now living.
Leggett, Walter I
Conductor; Galesburg; born Aug 10, 1849, in Dorchester,
England. His parents were Isaac and Hannah (Reed)
Leggett. He was educated in the common schools, and in the
Galesburg Grammar School. In politics, he is a republican.
He married, first Sadie Thompson, now deceased; his
second marriage was with Lizzie Thompson, in Galesburg, Feb.
25, 1880; they have four children, Lloyd C., Aubrey C., L.
Marie, and Vivia T.
Mr. Leggett came to DeKalb Co, IL, in 1855; to
Galesburg in 1864; for three years was with the Merchants’
Union Express Company. In April 1869, he began work for the
Chicago, Burlington and Quincy Railroad as brakeman,
afterwards serving as baggageman, and in 1873 he was made a
conductor, which position he now holds; he has not been
“laid off” for thirty years; for ten years he had charge of
a construction train.
Mr. Leggett is a member of the Order of Railroad
Conductors, and the Order of Modern Woodmen; he is a
composer of music, and has patented several useful household
articles. He is a member of the Baptist Church.
Leighton, William H
Farmer; Copley Township; born Oct. 8, 1835 in New York
City. His parents were William and Isabel (Ironside)
Leighton, who came from Scotland to New York in 1832, and to
Knoxville, IL. in 1837. Mrs. Leighton died in 1840. In 1847
Mr. Leighton moved to Copley Township, and then to Sparta
Township, where he died in 1861, leaving three sons: William
H., John A., and James.
William H. was educated in
Knoxville. He was married to Jannette McKie in Copley
Township, Dec. 1, 1864. Their children are: Charles H.,
Margaret, May, and Isabel.
Mrs. Leighton was born July 13, 1842, and was a
daughter of William and Margaret (Miller) McKie.
Mr. Leighton came with his father to Knoxville in
1837, and settled in Copley Township in 1847, where he is
now living. He is a member of the Presbyterian Church. In
politics he is a republican, and held the office of
Supervisor from 1871-3, and from 1880-8. He has been Road
Commissioner and School Trustee for many years.
Farmer; Truro Township; born Scarbro,
Yorkshire, England, July 2, 1841; educated in the common
schools. His parents, John and Ann (Woodall) Leng, were born
and died in England. His maternal grandparents were Robert
and Fanny Woodall.
He was married Feb. 5, 1874, in
Peoria County, to Mary Francis; she was born Sept. 2, 1851,
and was the daughter of Elder and Mary Ann (Murphy) Abey. Mrs.
Leng’s mother is dead; her father is living in Peoria
Mr. and Mrs. Leng have had nine children: Luther
E., born Feb. 25, 1875; James E., deceased, born Nov. 23,
1876; Mary S., born Dec. 23, 1877; Lyman W., born Dec. 23,
1800; Lulu O., born Oct. 17, 1882; Robert N., born Sept 17,
1884; Ewart Gladstone, born Dec. 28, 1887; Edna E., born Oct
6, 1889; and Carl E., born Feb. 24, 1892.
Mr. Leng has a large farm of 295 acres two and one
half miles north of Williamsfield. He is a dealer in
Clydesdale horses and Short-horn cattle. In politics, he is
a populist. He is Road Commissioner and was School Director
for eighteen years. In religion, he is a Methodist.
Lewis, John Henry
a living example of a successful man. With a well-balanced
mind, he has pursued the path that leads to fortune and to
fame. He has been a prominent citizen of Knox County for
many years, residing in the city of Knoxville. He is a
native of the State of NY, and was born in Tompkins County,
July 21, 1830.
The ancestry of Mr. Lewis reaches
back to the period when the times and the events “tried
men’s souls”. The name Lewis will ever be illustrious in the
annals of American history. That charter of American
liberty, the Declaration of Independence, was signed by
Francis Lewis, from whom John H. is descended.
Francis Lewis was a native of Landaff, in the shire
of Glamorgan, South Wales. He was born March 1713. His
father was a clergyman, and his mother was the daughter of a
clergyman, the Rev. Dr. Pettingal, who had charge of a
parish in North Wales. Francis was an only child and was
left an orphan when only five years old. He was left to the
care of a maternal aunt, was sent to the Westminster School
in London, where he soon became a thorough classical
scholar. In the spring of 1735, when he was only 21 years of
age, he came to New York with merchandise which he had
purchased with his small fortune. His partner was Edward
Annesly. Francis took a portion of the goods to
Philadelphia, where he remained two years. He then returned
to New York and married Elizabeth Annesly, the sister of his
partner. When the Continental Congress met in Philadelphia,
he was unanimously elected a member of that body, April 22,
1775, and continued to hold the office until 1779. He was an
uncompromising advocate of liberty, and was one of the first
to declare that the colonies could not live under the
dominion of Great Britain. For the cause of freedom and the
inalienable rights of the colonies, he spent his fortune and
died poor at the advanced age of ninety in 1803.
Henry Lewis, the father of John, was a native of
New Jersey, and was born in Sussex Co., Oct. 6, 1796. His
kinsman, General Morgan Lewis, whose wife was of the noted
Livingston family, was once its Governor. The wife of Henry
Lewis was Permelia M. Shaver, a native of the State of New
York. They were married July 8, 1826, and removed to
Illinois in the fall of 1836, with their two sons, George W.
and John H. The day of railroads and steam had not yet
dawned, and they were compelled to make their trip in a
two-horse wagon, loaded with the implements that would be of
service in their new settlement. At length, after fifty-one
days of extreme weariness and toil, they reached their
journey’s end, Oct. 15, 1836. They settled in Ellisville,
Fulton Co., where were only a few deserted wigwams. Mr.
Lewis erected the first frame house in that town, and it was
here that the hopes and plans of this little family were
blasted by his death, Sept. 25, 1837, --within a year of his
arrival. At this bereavement, the mother did not sink down
in despair, but looked beyond the lowering clouds and saw a
glimmering ray of hope. In a lone wilderness, without
friends or home, she battled nobly to sustain herself and
her children, until they should reach a period when they
would be self-supporting. George, the eldest son, left his
home, while yet young, and traveled in the eastern states
and in Mexico, and at last settled in southern California,
where he died. John H. remained with his mother, until he
was eleven years of age, attending school a few months each
year, and earning his own subsistence by working on the
farm. Then for a period of six years, a contract for his
services was made with a South Carolinian family, under the
following stipulations: good clothing, three months’
schooling each year, a horse, saddle and bridle, at the
close of his apprenticeship. These conditions were almost
wholly neglected. For the first five years, young Lewis had
had but 41 days of schooling; was poorly clad, was treated
as a menial, and at meals was not allowed to sit at the same
table with the family. His mother, learning of the
situation, succeeded in removing him at once. He was placed
for the winter in the family of William Kent, who lived near
Yates City. In the spring, he was employed near by on the
farm of James Kent, at seven dollars a month. In 1847 he
came to Knoxville, doing chores for his board in the family
of Judge R. L. Hannaman. Here he remained for two years,
enjoying, at the proper season, the advantages of the common
school. In 1849, he was employed in the store of G. M.
Ewing, of Knoxville, at a salary of fifty dollars a year and
board. The second year, his salary was raised to
seventy-five dollars. The third year, he was offered one
hundred and fifty dollars, but the offer was declined, that
he might obtain a broader and more liberal education, and
thus fit himself for the higher duties of citizenship. He
was next engaged in the store of Alexander Ewing, of
Knoxville, and by his trustworthiness and fidelity, he soon
gained the confidence of his employer. Mr. Ewing entrusted
him with a small bill of goods to sell on the road on
commission. Young Lewis had neither horse nor wagon, nor
money to purchase an outfit,--his only capital being less
than twenty-two dollars. Of this amount twenty dollars was
paid towards a horse and harness, purchased at forty
dollars, and a sixty-day note for sixty dollars was given
for a wagon. Thus equipped, Mr. Lewis started out on his new
venture, and so successful was he, that the amount of his
profits was sufficient to pay off his note before
maturity. In 1852, he took a clerkship in the store of Mr.
Chesney, of Abingdon, where he remained until his employer
sold out in 1857.
Previous to this time Mr. Lewis had been employed
in the law office of Hannaman and Hale, making out abstracts
of county records. It was there that he acquired a liking
and a taste for law, and in 1857, having access to the
library of a prominent lawyer in Abingdon, Mr. A. J. King,
he availed himself of the privilege of reading law, and soon
was qualified for practice. He was licensed by the Supreme
Court, Jan. 10, 1870, to practice law in all the courts of
In politics Mr. Lewis is a thorough-going
republican. As a member of that party, he has held many
public offices, which he has always filled with marked
ability. In his early years he was an abolitionist,
sympathizing greatly with the colored race in their enslaved
condition. He became a member of the republican party at its
organization and voted for John C. Fremont, its first
nominee for President. In the exciting campaign of 1860,
when Lincoln was elected President, Mr. Lewis was elected to
the office of Clerk of the Circuit Court of Knox County,
holding the office for four years. He then took a vacation
for several months, visiting friends in the Union Army. All
this time, his interest in politics was unabated, and he
kept himself thoroughly posted on all national affairs. In
1868 he again entered the Clerk’s office, as deputy, holding
that position for six years. In 1874 he was appointed one of
the Trustees of the Institution for the Education of the
Blind. He resigned this office when he was elected a member
of the State Legislature.
Mr. Lewis’ record in the State Legislature is
highly commendable, and for his judicious acts and votes
there, he has received the encomiums of his fellow citizens
generally. One act of his, while member of the Legislature,
is deserving especial notice. Having examined carefully into
the penal institutions of the State, and believing that
their management was not for the good of the criminal and
the best interests of the State, he framed and introduced a
preamble and resolution which was read for information, but
being objected to by a single member was not allowed to be
considered. It was published in the papers throughout the
State and highly commended. Mr. Lewis argued that prisons,
in a measure, should be reformatory; that criminals as
criminals have rights which the State is bound to respect;
that those bound by the ties of consanguinity and love
should have a portion of the fruit of their labor. The
resolution excited a great deal of comment and interest, far
and near, and was probably the first introduced in this
State on that subject.
In 1880, Mr. Lewis was elected to Congress by the
republicans of the Ninth Congressional District of Illinois,
over his democratic opponent, John S. Lee. In 1882, he was
re-nominated, but defeated on account of his vote on the
river and harbor bill.
Mr. Lewis is a living proof that a man is the
architect of his own fortune. Poverty in his youth had no
power to control his ambition or smother his aspirations. In
the distance, he saw the fertile fields of promise, and
through the open gateway, he was determined to enter. By his
determined resolution, he hewed his way through the
wilderness of doubt and uncertainty, and won for himself
riches and honor. As a citizen, he is noted for his
affability and urbanity of manners; for his kindness and
sympathy to the unfortunate and his charity towards all. He
is bound by no creed, is a member of no church, but believes
in the gospel of good deeds. He belongs to the Masonic
Order, having joined when quite young.
Mr. Lewis was married, Dec. 1857, to Elizabeth S.
Russell. She was the daughter of R. H. and Elizabeth Russell
of Abingdon, IL., who came to this State in the fall of
1837. They were Virginians by birth and left their native
State on account of their hatred of the institution of
To Mr. and Mrs. Lewis were born six children, four
sons and two daughters, two of whom are now living: Ira J.,
born Aug. 14, 1865, now married and living in Knoxville; and
John, born Aug. 30, 1874, now practicing law in Galesburg
Lindsey, Charles D.:
Knoxville, where he was educated; clerk in clothing house;
born in Knox County Feb. 18, 1864. Mr. Lindsey’s father,
Charles R. Lindsey, was a native of Mason Co, VA; his
mother, Mary A. (Post), was born in St. Louis, Missouri. His
paternal grandfather, Rowland Lindsey, was a native of
Maine; his paternal grandmother was Phebe (Russell) of
Chautauqua Co, NY.
Charles R. Lindsey came to
Knoxville in 1838. He was born Jan 23, 1822 in VA., where he
was educated, and where he was for many years a farmer. He
married his first wife, Caroline Armsbury in Iroquois Co,
IL, in 1843; she died eight months later. His second
marriage was with Mary A. Post, Oct. 5, 1848, in Monmouth,
Warren Co. They had ten children, six of whom grew to
maturity: John T., Martha D., Kellum P., Corrien, Charles
D., and Mary E. John T. was married to Sarah Smith; they
have eight children: C. Edwin, Robert B., Margaret C.,
Arthur McLellan, Harry, Simeon, Ray, and Martha L. Martha D.
married Henry Masters. Kellum P. was married to Ada Corbin;
they have three children: Ezra, Nellie and Francis. Corrien
was married to John B. Evans; they have five children:
Jennie M., Jessie L., Julia F., J. Clifford, and Tede
M. Mary E. married William Stotts; they have two sons: Paul
Sheldon and Phillip Brook. Mr. Lindsey died Feb 4, 1899; his
widow is still living. Her father, Ezra Post, was born in
Greene Co, NY in 1787. In 1812 he was married to Pattie
Pratt; she was born in Rensselearville, Albany Co, NY in
1792. Eight children were born to them: Melinda, Rubbie A.,
Dorlinske, John C., Albion, Mary A., Ezra and S.
Croghan. The family came to St. Louis, MO in 1825, and moved
to this State in 1836. Mr. Post died in 1853; his widow died
Nov. 28, 1881. Mr. Post was a soldier in the War of
1812. The ancestry was Scotch and Welsh.
Charles D. Lindsey is a member of Horatio Lodge, No
362, Knights of Pythias, also of Camp No. 411, Modern
Woodmen of America, and of the Minor of Honor, Grim Shaft
No. 1; he is one of the Supreme Board of Directors.
May 11, 1887 Mr. Lindsey was married to Anna Nelson
in Oneida; they have had three children: Hazel B. (died in
infancy), C. Willard and Nelson. Mr. Lindsey is a member of
the Presbyterian Church. In politics he is a democrat.
Lindzey, John E
., son of
William and Hannah Lindzey, was born in England, Oct. 19,
1828, and came with the family to Vermont. The Lindzeys were
engaged in cotton and woolen mills in England and in this
country, and were expert in their vocation. The family
removed from Vermont to Illinois and settled in Fulton
County. George E., one of the sons, lives in Farmington,
IL. In 1872, John E. Lindzey came to Knox Co., and settled
on a farm of 160 acres. He was a School Director nine years,
and took a deep interest in educational work. Politically,
he was a democrat.
He married in Knoxville, Aug. 22,
1873, to Mrs. Kiziah Chapman, daughter of William and
Rebecca (Sharp) Gray, and widow of John Chapman. Mr. Gray’s
parents were Jacob Gray of New Jersey, and Mary (Shrieves)
Gray of Maryland. His paternal grandfather was William Gray
of New Jersey, and his mother’s father was Barton Shrieves,
who was born in Maryland, and died in Knox Co, IL. Mr. Gray
was born in Bedford Co, PA, Nov. 24, 1821, and was married
in Clinton Co, OH., Feb. 23, 1843, to Rebecca Sharp,
daughter of John W. and Kiziah (Brewer) Sharp. Thirteen
children were born to them: Mrs. Kiziah Lindzey, John
Wesley, James Madison, Mrs. Mary A. Chapman, Francis M.,
David H., Mrs. Margaret E. Logan (deceased), Joseph M.,
Alice (deceased), Mrs. Eliza Byers, George E., Charles E.,
and Frank P. Mr. Gray was by occupation a farmer; in
politics a democrat. In the year 1851 he removed from
Highland Co., Oh. To Knox Co, IL, and settled in Maquon
Township. He lived four years in Iowa. His wife died in 1885
in Knoxville, and his home has been in Douglas, Salem
Township since 1896.
John Chapman, the first husband of Mrs. Lindzey,
was the son of John and Ann Chapman. There were four
children born to John and Kiziah (Gray) Chapman: Florence
May, who died Aug. 25, 1888, M. Nettie, Francis, and Rebecca
The children of John E. and Kiziah (Gray Chapman)
Lindzey were eight in number: Harriet Jane (deceased), Maud,
William C., George A., Alma Edith, Blanche, Bruce, and Emma
Since the death of her second husband, Mrs. Lindzey,
with the assistance of her sons, has managed her farm of 160
acres, which is located in Elba Township. She has a
beautiful residence and the farm is well stocked with a herd
of 25 cattle and numbers of swine and horses.
Mrs. Lindzey was born in Ohio, March 22, 1849; was
educated in the common schools, and is a Methodist.
Linsley, James H
Retired; Galesburg; born July 11, 1823 in Wayne Co, PA; his
father was Dan E. Linsley; his grandfather was James H.
Mr. Linsley was educated in the common
schools. He married Susan H. Albro at Galva, IL, July 3,
1856. The children are: Frank E.; James F.; and Cora Hettie,
who graduated from Knox College in 1877 and is now the wife
of Judge George W. Thompson.
Mr. Linsley moved with his father in 1836 to Wayne
Co, NY and to Michigan in 1844. In 1848 he began work in the
Bridge department of the Michigan Central Railroad. In 1853
he entered the service of the Chicago, Burlington and Quincy
Railroad, working in the bridge and building department for
five years; in the construction department for seven
years. He was appointed road-master in 1865, which office he
held till 1898, when he resigned his position and retired
from active work.
Mr. Linsley was a charter member of the Galesburg
Club, and is a member of the Masonic Order. He has served
two terms as Alderman of the Sixth Ward. In politics he is a
Long, George: Farmer;
Orange Township; born Sept. 14, 1817, near Pittsburg, PA;
educated in the common schools. His parents, George and
Catherine (Duffy) Long, came from Pennsylvania.
He was married to Susanna, daughter of David
Belden, in Galesburg, Nov. 20, 1851. They had five children:
George H., Jane, Anna, Catherine Bell, and Martha. Martha
was married to Charles Hutson, son of George Hutson; they
have one son, Chester. The Longs are buried in the
Brush Creek Cemetery
Losey, James Harvey
Cashier of the Galesburg National Bank, Galesburg, where he
was born Feb. 23, 1847; educated in the Galesburg
schools. His father, Nehemiah H., son of Israel and Eleanor
(Willson) Losey, was born at Montgomery, NY; his mother,
Lucretia, daughter of Alured and Sarah W. (Stevens)
Hitchcock, was born at Vergennes, Vermont.
1873, he was married to Cornelia Maurice Ayres at
Galesburg. Three children were born to them, Jessie Esther;
Margaret Ellen, deceased; and Charlotte Elizabeth,
In 1864 at the age of seventeen years, Mr. Losey
entered the Post office and served five years under Clark E.
Carr, being chief clerk for two years. In 1869 he became
teller and bookkeeper in the Second National Bank, where he
remained for twelve years, being acting cashier the last
year. Compelled to resign this position on account of his
health, he moved to Peoria and accepted a position with the
Avery Planter Company, for which firm he traveled three
years. He returned to Galesburg in the spring of 1884, and
assisted in the organization of the Galesburg National Bank
becoming its first Cashier.
Mr. Losey, having been in the service twenty-seven
years, is the oldest bank official in the city. He has been
an Elder in the Presbyterian Church since 1871, and
Treasurer for fifteen years. He was appointed a member of
the Galesburg Public Library in 1896. In politics he is a
Losey, Nehemiah H
probably no man has been more closely identified with the
origin, growth and prosperity of the city of Galesburg and
of Knox College than Professor Nehemiah H. Losey. He was
born in Orange County, NY, in 1804, and graduated at
Middlebury College, VT, in 1820. He taught for a time in
Potsdam, NY and subsequently in Whitesboro. While in the
latter place, he became interested in the project of
founding and endowing a Christian college in the far
west. He was one of the original incorporators of Knox
College and the last survivor of them all.
west in 1836, and surveyed and laid out the town of
Galesburg. Professor Losey was the town’s earliest
Postmaster. He received his commission in 1837, and held the
office for four years. He was Principal of Knox Academy
until the institution was sufficiently advanced for the
organization of college classes, when he was elected to the
Professorship of Mathematics and Natural Philosophy in the
infant institution, which chair he held until 1861, when
failing health compelled him to resign. He soon after
returned to New York State, where he resided about three
years when he again returned to Galesburg and accepted the
elective office of Treasurer of the college, which position
he held at the time of his death.
Professor Losey was a man of broad culture and
well-trained mental faculties. He was thoroughly equipped
for every department of work, and in the early days of the
Galesburg colony, his services were indispensable. As a
surveyor and accountant he was wonderfully accurate. He was
a ripe scholar and a teacher of eminent ability, and it is
not too much to say that it is due to him that Knox College
has from the outset taken and held such high rank as a
mathematical school, as well as in the department of Natural
Sciences. Without apparatus to begin with he soon
constructed the rudimentary appliances which he knew were
needed, and through his lectures and experiments he
attracted large numbers of students from the surrounding
His personal character was that of a Christian
gentleman, retiring in disposition and amiable in
character. He was faithful and efficient in the discharge of
his duties, a good disciplinarian, yet taking a tender
interest in the welfare of his pupils, and not few have been
the testimonials which evince the esteem and affection in
which they held him. He entered into his rest on June 1,
1875, in the seventy-second year of his age.
Losey Street in
Galesburg is named after this man. His son's bio if before
Haw Creek Township; born in Gallia Co, Ohio, Jan. 1,
1823. His father, Isaac Lotts, was born in Greenbrier
County, W.V.; his mother, Nancy (Knox), in Monroe Co. of the
same State. His maternal grandparents, James and Sarah
(Robinson) Knox, were natives of Virginia; his paternal
grandparents were Jacob Lotts, native
of Germany and a soldier in the Revolution, and Elizabeth
(Wolf), a sister of General Wolf of Revolutionary fame.
Mr. Lotts came to Knox County with his parents in
1837. His father died Oct. 4, 1875, aged 83 years; his
mother, Sept 26, 1875, aged 76 years. Mr. Lotts inherited a
part of the homestead on which he was reared, and later
bought the remainder from the other heirs. To this he has
added by purchase until he now owns 700 acres of good land.
March 13, 1845, Mr. Lotts was married to Elizabeth
Ward, near Gilson, IL. Eight children were born to them:
Mrs. Larissa Caldwell; Mrs. Fidelia Scott; Jared W.; Mrs.
Sarah S. Young, deceased; Arthur W.; Delesca, wife of L.E.
McPherris; James Oscar; and Ella, who died in 1886.
Mrs. Lotts died May 1, 1879, at the age of 54
years. In politics, Mr. Lotts is a democrat. He was
Supervisor in 1861, 1862 and 1863, and has held other local
Lovejoy, William Owen
whose name immediately suggests relationship with one who
was famous in the earlier annals of Illinois, was born near
Quincy, Feb 13, 1841. His father, Jabez Lovejoy, was a
farmer, and a cousin of Owen and Elijah Lovejoy. The mother
of William was Catherine Waldron, a descendant of a German
baronial house. In 1830, the parents removed from Schoharie
Co, NY to Adams County, IL. and settled on 160 acres of land
deeded to Mr. Lovejoy by his sister, the widow of General
Leavenworth. When William was a boy ten years of age, his
parents died, and he was sent to live with an uncle in
Dutchess Co, NY. He received a common school education, and
spent one term in the Oxford Academy, Oxford, CT. He
afterwards took the entire four years’ Chautauqua course, in
the “Pioneer” class.
William O. Lovejoy’s first employment after leaving
school was as a clerk in a store at Brooklyn, NY, and later
in NY City. He was afterwards employed as clerk on his
uncle’s steamboat, which carried freight on the Hudson
River, between Red Hook and New York. In 1862, Mr. Lovejoy
returned to the old homestead in Illinois, and for several
years managed the farm. In 1870, he entered the Galesburg
offices of the Chicago, Burlington and Quincy Railroad, as a
telegraph operator. Since 1894, he has been President of the
Evening Mail Publishing Company.
Mr. Lovejoy has filled important positions,
including those of Town Clerk and Collector, in Honey Creek
Township, Adams Co, and for nine years he has been City
Assessor of Galesburg. He
is a member of the Masonic Fraternity and is a Knight
Templer; he also belongs to the Order of United Workmen; and
to the Modern Woodmen of America. In these various
organizations, he has been honored with high official work;
he is Generalissimo
in the Galesburg Commandery, K.T.; Secretary, Royal Arch
Masons; Master Workman, A. O. U. W.; Venerable Counsel, M.W.
A.; and Representative to the Grand Council in both orders.
In his religious connection, Mr. Lovejoy is a
member of the Central Congregational Church of Galesburg. He
has always been a republican in politics.
Sept.3, 1862, Mr. Lovejoy was married to Elizabeth
A. Near, a native of Dutchess Co, NY. She is of German
descent. Their only child, a son, died in infancy.
Lower, Robert A
Merchant; Salem Township; born April 11, 1844; educated in
the common schools. His father, Jacob Lower, was born in PA
in 1812; his mother, Mary (Cavins) Lower, was born in Mt.
Vernon, Ohio; his grandfather, Johann Lower, was born in
Mr. R. A. Lower enlisted in Abingdon Oct.
22, 1861, Company K, Fifty-fifth Volunteers, and
participated in the battles of Pittsburg Landing; Shelby
Station; Chickasaw Bayou; Arkansas Post; Haines Bluff;
Champion Hills; Vicksburg; Missionary Ridge; Dalton,
Georgia; Dallas, Georgia; Kenesaw Mountains; Atlanta; Ezra
Church; Siege of Atlanta, and Jonesborough, Georgia. He
received a medal for conspicuous gallantry at the siege of
Vicksburg, and was discharged at Chattanooga, Tennessee, Oct
March 10, 1869, he was married at Elmwood to Rachel
A. Smith; there are five children: Alfred B., born June 20,
1871; Albert E., born Mar 8, 1873; Mary E., born Nov 10,
1877; Ruth A., born Apr 23, 1879; and Harriet E., born April
Mrs. Lower was born in Eaton, Ohio, June 2,
1844. Her father, G. W. Smith, is now deceased; her mother,
Mary (Austin) Smith, is living in Elmwood, IL.
Mr. Lower came with his parents to Salem Township
in 1844. He belongs to the Grand Army of the Republic; was
elected Mayor of Yates City in 1888, 1893 and 1897; and was
Supervisor of his township in 1895 and 1896. He engaged in
the mercantile business in 1869 and has been very
successful. In politics he is a democrat.
Lucas, G. M. Lee
and Harness-maker; Hermon, Chestnut Township; born April 16,
1847, near Claysville, Washington Co, PA. His parents,
George L. and Elizabeth Martha (McGuffin) Lucas, were born
near Claysville, Washington Co, PA. The father, who was born
Feb. 11, 1821, was a soldier in the Civil War, and was
Fourth Sergeant of Company I, Seventy-seventh Illinois
Volunteers. He died in a hospital ship on the Mississippi
River, June 25, 1863. The mother was born Feb. 28, 1821, and
died Sept. 25, 1848. His maternal grandparents were William
McGuffin, born in Lancaster Co, PA, in 1796, and died Nov.
1847; and Mary (Graham), born in Washington Co, PA, June
1799. The paternal grandparents were Benjamin and Mary (Lee)
Lucas, born in Washington Co, PA, Sept. 5, 1795, and Jan.
20, 1799 respectively. The paternal great-grandfather, Isaac
Lucas, was born Jan 6, 1759, served through the Revolution,
and died April 8, 1848; he was the son of Benjamin Lucas of
Plymouth, who was born in 1730, and died Jan. 19, 1824; his
father was William Lucas, the son of Samuel Lucas, who was
the son of Thomas Lucas, who came from England and settled
at Plymouth, MA.
Mr. G. M. Lee Lucas was married
Dec. 20, 1870 in Elmwood Township, Peoria Co. to Catharine
A. Schenck. They have had eight children: Annetta, born Dec
9, 1871; William L., born Sept.12, 1873; Mattie Anna, born
Nov. 23, 1876; Henry Stewart, born Jan. 13, 1879; Harlan
Page, born Nov. 29, 1881; Alvia May, born Oct 29, 1883; Ray
Leone, born April 9, 1890; and Ralph DeWitt, born July 11,
Mrs. Lucas was born July 4, 1853, near Greenbush,
Preble Co, OH, and was the daughter of William L. and
Catharine A. (Snyder) Schenck. She is a member of the
In the spring of 1854, Mr. Lucas came to Brimfield,
Peoria Co, IL, and in 1894, came to Chestnut Township and
settled on a farm of 160 acres in Section 8. For 15 years he
had been a farmer in Elba Township. Mr. Lucas enlisted May
5, 1864, in Company D., One Hundred and thirty-second
Illinois Volunteers and was elected Corporal. He was Justice
of the Peace in Elba Township and now holds the same office
in Chestnut Township. He was on the Grand Jury one fall term
of court (1898) at Galesburg. In religion Mr. Lucas is a
Methodist. In politics he is a republican.
Lutyens, William A.,
Conductor; Galesburg; born April 8, 1861 in Whiteside Co,
IL. His parents were Nicholas Lutyens of Pennsylvania, and
Ellen (Rowe) Lutyens of New York.
He was first
married to Julia Welch; they had one child, Mabel. His
second marriage was with Zora B. West, in Morrison, IL.,
Aug. 10, 1887; they have two children: Bula B. and Bana.
Mrs. Lutyens was the daughter of Isaac and
Charlotte (Stocking) West of New York. Mr. Lutyens
grandfather came from Germany and settled in Pennsylvania,
where his father was born. Nicholas Lutyens moved from PA to
a farm in Illinois about sixty years ago. He served in the
Civil War for four years and was in ten battles. After his
return from the war, he worked his farm until his death in
Mr. W. A. Lutyens left his father’s farm when he
was 22 years of age. He drilled wells for three years, and
worked in a saw-mill one year in Clinton, Iowa. He entered
the employ of the Chicago, Burlington and Quincy Railroad as
brakeman on the Clinton Branch, and moved to Galesburg in
1890; he became conductor in 1893, a position which he now
He is a member of Brotherhood of Railway Trainmen,
and Burlington Volunteer Relief. Mr. Lutyens owns a pleasant
home on South Cedar Street, Galesburg. In politics he is a
Lyke, Abijah P.,
Engineer; Galesburg; born in 1838 in Columbia Co, NY. He is
a son of James Lyke, who removed in 1840 to Wayne Co, NY,
and thence to Wisconsin in 1855.
In 1856 Mr. A. P. Lyke entered the employ of the La
Crosse and Milwaukee Railroad, which place he retained till
1860. He enlisted in the army in 1863, and served until the
close of the war, after which he settled in Coldwater,
He was married to Lucy E. Robbins, of Reading,
Michigan in 1860. They have two children, James L. and Fred
Mr. Lyke came to Galesburg in 1888 and found
employment with the Chicago, Burlington and Quincy Railroad
Company as an engineer, which position he now holds. He is a
prominent member of Vesper Lodge, A. F. and A.M. and of the
Grand Army of the Republic, Post 45, of Galesburg.
More to come back to
The M's will begin a new page.
Thanks bunches & bunches
Foxie & Kathy Mills....
Copyright is for people who have other web
pages. People searching for their ancestors are welcome to copy a biography of
their ancestor for their family file. If you need the index page for your source
Get a Free Hit Counter
Friday, September 14, 2012 07:04:10 PM