Now with links to the photos
President of Lombard Investment Company, Boston,
and London, Eng.; President of the Bank of
Creston, Creston, Iowa; President of the Kansas State Bank, Wichita, Kan.,; and
the head of the banking house of Lombard Bros., Kansas City, MO.,. was born at
Truro, Cape Cod, Mass., May 20, 1836.
The Lombard's came to England with William
the Conqueror, and the name has been
familiar in London for centuries. The immediate ancestor of the subject of
our sketch was David Lombard, native of Cape Cod, town of Truro, where he was
born November 16, 1796. He was a seafaring man and most of his life was
spent on the ocean as captain of a vessel. He was married at Truro,
December 10, 1820/ His wife, nee Anna Gross, was also a native of Cape
Cod, tracing her ancestry back to the Puritans. Captain Lombard and wife
lived together for over 61 years, Mrs. Lombard dying in October, 1881.
They reared four sons and two daughters, Benjamin Lombard, Jr., being the
youngest of the family.
Benjamin Lombard, Jr. our subject, was but
nine years of age when he began as clerk
in a general store and was there so employed for several years spending the
winter, however, at the district schools. In 1849, he came West and began
work in a land office with his Uncle, at Henry, Marshall Co., Illinois, at a
salary of $175 a year, out of which he paid $1.25 per week for his board.
When we are told that he saved money from his first year's earnings, they key to
much of his subsequent success is at hand. Simply6 unadulterated economy
laid the foundation of his fortune. His great operations in life, where
thousands and thousands of dollars have been involved, of course were not
influenced by economy, but economy formed his grand plan. For two years he
was employed upon the records and abstracts of titles of the Military Tract in
Illinois, and while working at this he was shrewd enough to recognize the
opportunities offered for speculation. He was about 16 years of age when
he made his first investment of lands in the Military Tract, and the deal netted
After finishing the record work, our
subject traveled for his old employers until he was 22 years of age. About this
time, or on October 05, 1858, he was married at Cambridge, Mass., to
Miss Julia E. Lombard, daughter of the late Benjamin Lombard,
founder of the
University, Galesburg, Illinois.
After marriage he made his residence near Boston, making journeys Westward
occasionally on business, and in 1861 located at Galesburg. Here he dealt
largely in real estate, with fortune always in his favor. In fact it appears
that from boyhood to this writing (June, 1886) everything that Benjamin Lombard,
Jr., has touched turned to gold.
Our subject was one of the early
stockholders in the First National Bank
at Galesburg, and was many years its
Vice-President. In 1873 he started the bank at Creston, Iowa, and in 1882,
the largest institution of kind in the United States. Their investments
will average $750,000 per month, and while in the aggregate it amounts to
millions, no man has ever lost a dollar by them. His bank at Wichita,
Kan., was started in January, 1881, and the Kansas City house sometime
later. In addition to these large financial concerns over which he presides, his
landed interests are immense. He has upward of 10,000 acres of land, under
cultivation by tenancy and otherwise, and his unimproved lands in Kansas, Iowa
and Nebraska would, if thrown together, rival all in area the State of Rhode
Island. The writer knows that Mr. Lombard would protest against this
publication if he could, but it is a license we sometimes take, especially when
as a chronicler of facts to be read by unknown thousands, both in America and
Europe, we wish to illustrate by example the unparallel possibilities of the
youth of our country, be their start in life ever so poor. This is
sufficient apology for the brief mention made of the financial success of the
most remarkable man in Galesburg.
Mr. Lombard's sons are named respectively
William Alden, who is secretary of the Lombard Investment Co.; Harry Dana, and
extensive stock farmer residing in Monona County, Iowa; Martin Gay, a student;
and a daughter, Hazel. The Eastern residence of Mr. Lombard is at Brookline,
One of the oldest resents of Ontario Township, as
well as one of the most successful farmers and respected and honored
citizens of the same, is the subject of this native. The origin of the
Hammonds in the United States dates back to 1634, at which time a family of that
name came here from England and made a settlement. Of that family two sons
were born--Thomas and Nathaniel, and it is from the former son that the subject
of this biographical notice is descended . The family has numerous
branches throughout the United States, and Especially in New England.
The father of our subject moved from
Connecticut to Ohio in 1810. There he engaged in the vocation of farming, and
was thus occupied all his life. He was married in Summit County, that State, to
Miss Rebecca Farnham, the daughter of John and granddaughter of Gad Farnham,
whose great-great-grandfather came from England about the time the first family
of Hammond's came to this country. She removed to the State of Ohio when quite a
young lady. After their marriage the parents of James Hammond settled on a
farm in Summit county, Ohio. Of their union five children were born, the mother
died when James was three months of age. In due time the father was again
married, Miss Mary Fisk, of Summit County, Ohio, becoming his wife. The
father and stepmother came to Knox county in 1847, whither the subject of this
notice had preceded them three years. On the 10th day of September, 1844,
when mar. Hammond was 29 years of age, he started from Bath, Summit county,
Ohio, with Royal Hammond, a distant relative, and two men as assistants, with a
flock of 1,300 sheep, to drive them a distance of over 500 miles. The party had
to walk all the distance. they had a team of horses to carry camping utensils,
etc. The party, with their sheep, arrived in this township October 28,
1844, averaging from the time they started to the time they arrived 14 1/2 miles
per day. During the long drive they lost about 150 sheep. During the following
winter, from loss by wolves, change of food and want of proper sheltering for
them, the heard dwindled down to about 400-- a loss of about 900 . Mr. H.
experienced great difficulty in properly caring for the sheep on the road.
Prairie fires had to be fought; wolves were plentiful, and it was all the party
could do to contend successfully against all these obstacles. Mr. H.
tended the flock for three years. he says he had a tough time, but the
experience he gained was a world of benefit to him in after life.
On the arrival of his father and stepmother
they settled in Galesburg, where the father died September 03, 1856; his wife
survived him until April 30th, 1885, her demise occurring at the residence of
her son, Theodore, at Victoria, this county. She was born September 18,
1802, and was the third in order of birth of her parents' family of 13 children.
Of her union with Mr. H. 11 children were born. Her husband, father of our
subject, was an early settler in Ohio, as well as in Knox County, and while here
held many of the local offices of his township.
James Hammond remained with his parents on
the old farm the major portion of his time until his marriage. He began teaching
school in Ontario Township when quite a young man, and at this writing numerous
citizens of this township can testify to his competency as a teacher, many of
them having been his pupils. October 07, 1847, he was married in Ontario
Township, to Miss Susan P. Powell, born in Deerfield, Oneida County, NY,
September 05, 1821. Her mother, Maria Wilson Powell, died
when she was only five years old, and she
afterward made her home in the family of her aunt and uncle, Charles F. Camp,
who was one of the most prominent of the old settlers who first came to this
county, and with whom she came west in 1838, and settled in Ontario Township
before Oneida was laid out.
Parents of Mrs. Hammond on the paternal side
were of German-Welsh origins, and on the maternal side were of Irish origin. Of
the first marriage of Mr. Powell, the father of Mrs. Hammond, two children were
born--Mrs........ H. and Horace; the latter is deceased. The father remarried a
second time Evaline Brainard, who was a sister of Dr. Brainard, of Chicago. The
result of this marriage was eight children, two of whom are now deceased, viz,:
Brainard and Catherine. The former was a soldier in the later war, and after
passing through three years of service3, he re-enlisted and was killed at
the battle of Lookout Mountain. Those now living are Harvey, Charles, Edwin,
Orville, Eugene, and Luciene. The four latter were
soldiers in the War of the Rebellion. Edwin was surgeon, and served during the
whole war. Orville went in as color-bearer, and was
mustered out Captain; he lay 14 months in the Southern prisons; the most of the
time he was in Libby. He escaped from Columbia prison, S. C., and was two months
getting through to the Federal lines. The father of Mrs. Powel was a soldier of
the War of 1812; the father of Mr. P. a soldier in the Revolutionary War.
Mr. and Mrs. Hammond are the parents of six
children, two of whom are deceased: Park H. married Mary L. Wetmore, and resides
on a farm in Rio Township; Ella M. is living at home; Fanny C. is likewise an
inmate of the family household, and Ira E. in engaged in working on the farm.
Both Mr. and Mrs. Hammond are members of the Congregational Church.
Mr. Hammond of this notice, has met with far
more than ordinary success as an agriculturist since coming to this country. He
was born in Ohio, July 07, 1824, was educated in the log schoolhouse at Hammond
Corners, Bath, Ohio, where is reported he received the usual amount of
"thrashings." He came to this county in 1844, and made settlement in Ontario
Township, and there resided until 1848, when he removed to Galesburg. Remaining
in the latter city one year, he moved to Knox Township, and in 1851 again moved
back to Ontario Township. He has followed agricultural pursuits all his life,
and his landed possessions in the county consist of upward of 5000 acres. His
home farm is beautifully located, with a large two-=story brick residence upon
it, finished with hardwood and well-furnished. The home has been beautified by
the setting out of evergreens, and the barns and out-buildings are all of the
most substantial nature. His land is all under an advanced state of cultivation,
and in the prosecution of his vocation Mr. Hammond is meeting with that success
which energy and perseverance are sure to bring. Politically, he votes with the
Republican party. He has been Supervisor of his township for six years, and also
held the office of Road Commissioner and other local offices of minor import.
George W. Elliot,--Civil
George W. Elliot, a
well-known and prosperous agriculturist, residing on section 25, Victoria
Township, was born October 18, 1842, in Knox County. His parents were Thomas and
Hannah Reece Elliot, natives respectively of Ohio and County Carolina. The
senior Mr. Elliot was married in Ohio. He came to Illinois and made settlement
in Persifer Township in 1837, being among the earliest settlers of the town. In
1856, he removed to Victoria Township, where he purchased 160 acres of land on
section 25. Upon this tract the family remained until 1868, when, disposing of
the same, they removed to Missouri, where the father purchased 80 cares, and
where they resided until his demise in 1880. His wife still survives him and is
residing upon the old home farm. The par3ental family consisted of 14 children,
seven of whom are still living and bear the names of Burgess, George W.,
Samantha, Sarah, Elizabeth, Hannah, and Thomas.
G. W. Elliot of this biographical notice
remained under the parental roof until he had attained his majority, in the
meantime assisting his father upon the farm and attending the common schools of
his neighborhood. In the spring of 1862 he enlisted in defense of his country,
joining Co D., 69th Ill. Vol. Inf. At Vicksburg he was assigned to guard duty,
and was thus occupied until mustered out at the expiration of his term of
Upon his return home our subject engaged in the tilling of the soil. His first
purchase of land consisted of 40 acres on the quarter-section where he now
resides, afterward adding, at different times, 120 acres, 27 acres of timber
land, and 80 acres each on sections 23 and 15. Upon his fine farm he erected, in
1879, a handsome dwelling valued at $2,000. Three years previous to this he
built a barn, which was burned in 1881. He is engaged in the raising of grain
and stock quite extensively, and is meeting with success in his chosen vocation.
The lady chosen by Mr. Elliott to share his heart
and home was Miss Albina Mosher, a native of Illinois and daughter of Seneca and
Nancy Buck Mosher. The marriage was solemnized April 13, 1865. The parents of
Mrs. Elliott were natives of New York and Vermont, and were married in Ohio in
1838. Three years later they came to Illinois, locating in Knox County. AT
present they are residents of Victoria. The Parental family of Mrs. Elliot
numbered 10 children. Those living are Sarah A., Albina, wife of our subject,
Frances, and Manford.
Our subject and
wife have had born to them six children, as follows: James F., Emma, Susan A.,
Hannah, George, and John. Mr. Elliott affiliates with the Greenback party, and
has served his township in the offices of Constable, School Director and
Pathmaster. What Mr. Elliott has of this world's goods has been acquired by his
own efforts, the result of industry and economy, and his a fair sample of the
men who forma the bone and sinew of the community.
Julius D. Bragg,
--Civil War Vet
Julius D. Bragg, at present residing on his fine
farm, located on section 03, Chestnut Township, was born in Jefferson County,
Iowa, August 10, 1844. He is the son of Dabnar and Julia A. Carpenter Bragg. The
former was born in Virginia and died in 1844, and the latter was born in 1817,
and is still living in Glasgow, Jefferson Co., Iowa. There were eight children,
two of whom died in infancy; those living are Clara, Sophora, Hattie, Albert,
Decatur, and Cynthia.
Mr. Bragg of this sketch was married October
27, 1868, to Mary M. Harper. She was born in Knox County October 01, 1849, and
has become the mother of five children--Jennie, born September 01, 1869; Clara,
August 17, 1871; Burrell, October 04, 1874; Gertrude, September 09, 1877, and
Carrie, April 21, 1879. Our subject is the proprietor of 170 acres of good farm
land, all under an excellent state of cultivation.
Mr. Bragg gives considerable attention to the
breeding of Short-horn cattle, of which he has some very find specimens, among
which is one pure-blood bull. Five head of his splendid herd, which are of the
Rosemary and Miss Mott families, are recorded in the Short-horn Herd-book. He
also breeds swine rather extensively chiefly, however, for shipping purposes.
Mr. Bragg was soldier in the later war, having
enlisted in Co G., 30th Iowa Vol Inf., under Col. Abbott, August 08, 1862, and
was mustered into service in September of the same year at Keokuk, Iowa. The
command was ordered to St. Louis, from there to Helena, Ark., then to Chickasaw
Bluffs, back to Arkansas Post, up the White River, then to Milliken's Bend,
where our subject aided in the opening of the canal. He participated in the
siege of Vicksburg, remaining there about 110 days, and June 22, marched into
the city with his regiment. He was at the battle of Jacksonville, and with
Sherman in his famous march to the sea. His regiment was in 32 general
engagements, and was in Raleigh, NC, when Lee surrendered. His last battle was
fought at Belmont, NC. June 22, 1865, he received an honorable and final
discharge, but was mustered out at Washington in May, 1865. Politically he is a
firm adherent to the Democratic party. Mrs. Bragg is a member of the Christian
In another bio on a David P. Harper is the
brother to Mrs. Julius Bragg. Her parents were David and Sarah Parks
Harper, natives of Ohio. More on them in David's bio below.
David P. Harper
those men who have been identified with Knox County for an interval of over 30
years, and who have during that time been deeply interested in its agricultural
progress, stands the subject of this personal history. In his particular
field of life work he has been extremely successful, and may be cited to-day as
one of the most solid and substantial men in Chestnut township. His home is
situated on section 2, and to his farming pursuits he adds the breeding of fine
blooded stock, among which he possess a number of magnificent animals in which
he feels a pardonable pride.
Mr. Harper is the son of David and Sarah Parks
Harper, natives of Ohio, and was born July 26, 1854. His father was born August
02, 1814, and is till living, while his mother, born January 23, 1817, died
December 31, 1884, and was buried at Herman, Ill.
Of the union of Mr. and Mrs. Harper, Sr., there
were born 13 children, four of whom are now living, and are named respectively
Lydia A.; Mary M., wife of Julius Bragg, of this county; Jennie, wife of Knox
Marks, also residing in this county, and David, who united in the bonds of
holy matrimony with Mary A. Hamrick. Mrs. Harper was born July 04, 1850, and is
the daughter of J. G. and Sarah A. Ferris Hamrick. Her father was born in Ohio
February 02, 1825, and her mother in Kentucky February 05, 1828, now living in
Seward County, Neb. Their home is in the latter county, and they are the parents
of four children: Josephine, wife of Mr. Henderson, of Nebraska; Calista, who
married J. A. Walker, and lives in Thomas County, Kan.,; Charlie who married
Miss Sarepta Beeson, and lives in Nebraska, and Mary A.
Mr. and Mrs. David Harper are the parents of
three children, bearing the names of Kittie, born May 27, 1874; Lucy, May 12,
18765, and Roberta, August 26, 1878. Their family circle is a happy and
congenial one, and their home is among the most pleasant in the county., On his
homestead of 180 acres of highly cultivated land Mr. Harper has erected a
handsome house of modern appearance and conveniences, and further embellished
and bettered his property by the addition of commodious bars and out-buildings,
and both he and his wife feel a pardonable price in their home.
Mr. Harper's barns were erected largely with
the idea of forwarding his business as a stock raiser and breeder. He has a fine
bull, by the name of Gallant Duke, whose number, 51665, is recorded in the
Short-horn Herd-book. He is a large, handsome animal, bought of W. H. Heller, of
Abingdon, Ill., and is of deeped colored, weighing 1,730 lb.; was calved
November 12, 1882, and whose history is found in Vol 23. American Herd-Book.
Rose V., Calved April 14, `879, is a handsome red in color, and quoted in Vol
23. Rose Belle, calved June 16, 1878, is also red, and is quoted in the same
Her-book. Lady Ann, a magnificent roan animal, calved June 06, 1877,m is of the
Rosemary blood, and Daisy, calved November 14, 1879, of the Miss Mott line of
stock, and of a handsome red color. Mr. Harper feels an interest and strong
pride in these wonderfully handsome and finely blooded animals, which may be
stated as among the best into the county. He is a feeder and shipper of stock to
the Chicago markets, and is successful in his enterprise. In politics he is a
Democrat and upholds the principles of that party, voting with and for it. and
is , in short, not only an active, energetic business man, but is wide-awake to
the interest of the public at large, and well informed in public and private
Mrs. Mary A. Lowrey;
This lady, the widow of Saftoe
Lowrey, deceased--who was the seventh son in a family of nine children, seven
sons and two daughters--is known as one of the most energetic and enterprising
women of Cedar Township, and possess a large business capability, and is endowed
with more than ordinary financial acuteness and foresight. She was born in
Genevea, NY, December 08, 1817, and is the daughter of John and Mary Barron
Armstrong. The former was of Scotch lineage and blood., but was American born,
claiming the State of New Jersey as his birthplace. The mother was of English
ancestry., Mr. Armstrong died of pneumonia, in 1852, while visiting in Canada,
and his wife, in 1879, in Iowa. They were the parents of seven children, as
follows: John lives in Missouri; he married Miss Nancy Morrison, who died, when
he again married; Harriet married Wm. Tracy and lives in San Francisco, Cal.;
Matilda married H. J. Sanders, and lives in Abingdon; William A. died in
California, in 1850; Rebecca is married and lives in Minneapolis; Margery
married G. H. Flanders; and the subject of our sketch.
Mr. Lowrey was born near Geneva, NY, October 04, 1814, and died July 12, 1870,
having only reached middle life. He united heart and hand with the subject of
this narration, October 04, 1842, and a few years after his marriage, in 1849,
he went to Canada West, where, on the Grand River, he engaged in lumbering,
which occupation he followed for the space of six years. A brother-in-law, Mr.
J. Z. Reed, whose home was in Buffalo, NY, was associated with him in business
as a partner. They subsequently added a lumber-yard to the original enterprise.
At the expiration of the six years, Mr. Lowrey came West and purchased 260 acres
of land, where he lived contentedly until called home by death. Mrs.
Lowrey's bereavement occurred July 12, 1870, but, bravely putting aside her
womanly weakness, she took her place courageously at the head of the business
affairs of the farm, which she managed until two years ago, reflecting great
credit upon herself by her judicious planning and execution. AT that time she
rented the greater portion of her farm, and in 1877, erected a handsome
dwelling, two stories high and finely finished in every particular. She was the
sole su8perintendent and designer of the building, and when it was finished at a
cost of $3,000, it was the pride of that part of the county. It stands on a
heavy foundation, enclosing a large cellar, which
underlies the entire
structure. The walls of the cellar are composed of Sagetown limestone, heavily
lined with brick. The grounds surrounding the house include about two acres and
are laid out in the most tasteful and attractive manner, forming a beautiful
lawn in front, planted with evergreens. This is made still more inviting by the
addition of rustic seats, flower beds, etc. She has one large barn, 31 x 60
feet, and another not so large, but finely finished. She is engaged quite
extensively in the breeding of blooded fowls--Light Brahmas, White Leghorns
and Plymouth Rocks. The quarters provided for them are elegant and are supposed
to be among the finest in the county, the houses being finished with zinc floors
and plastered. Among her other enterprises is the breeding of Galloway cattle,
which has proved very profitable. She bought Prince Jumbo at a high price. He is
numbered 2180, in the American Herd-Book, and is considered one of the finest animals in the
The union of Mr. and Mrs. Lowrey was productive
of three children, all girls, who were born as follows: Alice M., July 06, 1844;
she married Charles Mount, and died September 23, 1875, leaving one son--Shafto
Lowrey; Mary M., June 03, 1846, died in Canada, December 24, 1852; and Jane E.,
was born December 12, 1847, and was married in the State of Illinois, to
Franklin Mount, and died August 04, 1874, leaving two daughters--Jennie and
Matilda. Matilda lives with our subject, her grandmother. Jennie is endowed with
a remarkable artistic
talent, specimens of her painting showing skill seldom met with in one of her
years. Mrs. Lowrey is educating both of the granddaughters, giving them the best
advantages in music and painting that the schools afford.
Mr. Lowrey, husband of our subject, was quite prominent in public
affairs, and a useful man socially. He was for 20 years Justice of the Peace and
Supervisor, and was at the time of his death School Treasurer, which office he
held for a number of years. He was a man of affable and courteous manner and
possessed of a first-class education, besides being truly cultured and refined.
By calling he was a farmer, and his hearty and frank manner gained him friends
on all sides, so that he was widely lamented at his death. He made a religious
profession of the Protestant Methodist faith, and lived in his daily life the
true principles of that noble Christianity as shown in the Word of God.
Mrs. Lowrey is a Baptist by profession, joining their church when 15 years of
age, but was congenial in spirit with he faith of her husband, who lingered for
some time with that deceptive in patient resignment. He was Republican in
politics, and an honest, upright, conscientious man; striving to do unto his
neighbors as he would have them do unto him. Among the numerous persons who are
represented in the portrait department of this Album, none are more deserving
than of Mr. Lowrey.
Joseph E. Latimer
War Vet & Representative to the Assemblies of 27th
& 30th Districts.
The name of the subject who heads this brief sketch, apart from his
connection with one of the most striking family records in Knox County, is
sufficiently known to need but little comment. He is by occupation a farmer and
breeder of pureblooded Jersey and Short-horn cattle; his farm and residence are
located on sections 28 and 29, of Cedar Township.
As one among the oldest and most venerated families of Knox County, this
gentleman has won the respect and confidence of not only his immediate
neighbors, but hundreds of substantial friends throughout the country. He was
born on the 15th of April, 1840, within the township and upon the farm where he
now resides, and is the son of Jonathan and Nancy West Latimer. Brought up on
his father's farm, he received his earliest educational course at the district
schools and Cherry Grove Seminary. Subsequently he entered Knox College, and in
the class of 1864 graduated.
He enlisted in the army on the 5th day of June, 1864, and was commissioned
Lieutenant in Co. G, of the 137th Ill. Inf.;' is
now a member of Abingdon Post, No 580, G. A. R.
After his return from the army he was appointed
Principal of the Cherry Grove
Seminary, a position which he held one year. Elected to the chair of
natural Sciences, in Lincoln University, Lincoln, Ill., he proved beyond a doubt
his skill as an instructor. This post was given him in 1866, but, little more
than a year later, he was compelled to resign in consequence of his failing
eyesight. Soon, again, he resumed farming in Cedar Township.
He is a prominent member of the Congregational Church. In politics, the
subject of this sketch has always been an earnest Republican; although an active
member of his party, he holds liberal views, allowing no party to dictate on
points of conscience; believing that honesty should characterize a man's actions
in politics, as well as in other affairs of life. He was elected in 1870
as Representative for the 22nd District to the 27th Assembly. He removed to Iowa
in 1872. Returning to Illinois, Mr.. Latimer was elected to the 30th and 31st
Assemblies. During the last campaign the electors gave him a majority of 700
votes over and above the regular ticket. His influence and ability as a
legislator were recognized during the last two Assemblies, and he was give the
Chairmanship of the Committee on Towns and Township Organization, besides
serving on other important committees.
He was married in Atchison, Kan., on the 19th day of November, 1872, to Miss
Joanna Humiston, daughter of Hartson and Mary Church Humiston. His wife, Mrs.
Latimer, was born in Broome County, NY Among the early pioneers of Knox County,
this lady's parents and paternal grandparents were numbered among the most
sturdy and praiseworthy of the settlers. In 1836, the grandfather first settled
here, and in 1846, her father took up his abode in the vicinity.
The happy union of Mr. and Mrs. Latimer there were two children born, a son
and a daughter: Jonathan G., was born in Iowa, near Hopkins, MO, on November 25,
1874; and Lillian H., in Cedar Township, Knox County, August 09, 1876
Mr. Latimer's farm is in highly improved condition and numbers 327 acres. It
is situated just north of the city of Abingdon and one mile distant from that
place. The residence which he now occupies was erected in 1875.
Mrs. Annie McClang is the relict of William
McClang, who was born March 24, 1842, and died February 02, 1884. He was a
native of Sweden, and emigrated to America in 1865. He settled in Copley
Township, on section 15, and laid the foundations of a home. He lived on the
same until 1878, and then purchased 80 acres on section 16, and on this remained
until his death.
William McClang was married to Miss Annie Hanson March 22, 1866. She is the
daughter of Hans and Christina Hanson. They re natives of Sweden and came to
America in 1849, settling on section 15, Copley Township. They purchased 80
acres of land, where they lived until called by death to the land beyond the
stars. They had but one child, a daughter--Annie, now Mrs.. McClang.
In Politics the deceased was a Republican, and was a good, solid man of
native force and ability, of courteous and affable manner, and his loss was
deeply deplored in the community. He was a member of the Swedish Methodist
Episcopal Church, as is also his wife. Mrs. McClang has shown herself to be
possessed of good degree of firmness and force, and still manages the farm left
her at her husband's death.
William S. Kleckner
#572---Civil War Vet
Among the leading
agriculturists of Elba Township is the subject of this sketch, residing on his
fine farm on section 35. He came to Knox County in 1856, from Hancock County,
Ohio, and worked out almost nine years in Salem Township. Our subject enlisted in September, 1861, in the 8th
Missouri Regiment, and served one year and four days, when he received an
honorable discharge. Upon his return to Knox County he resumed the
business of an agriculturist, and was thus occupied for two years, at the end of
which time he returned to Elba Township, where he worked for three years and
then removed to Salem Township, where he sojourned until the spring of 1885. He
then purchased the farm in Elba Township upon which he is at present residing.
Mr. Kleckner is the owner of 295 acres of excellent land under an advanced state
Our subject was born in Carroll County, Ohio, December 31, 1835, where he
lived until 20 years of age, and from there he came to Wayne County, Ill. In the
latter county he remained for one year, after which
time he came to Knox County. He was married March 01, 1865, in Elba Township, to
Rhoda West. (see sketch of John West). Mrs. Kleckner was born in Clinton County,
Ohio, May 01, 1840, and was six years of age when her parents removed to Knox
Mr. and Mrs. Kleckner are the parents of five children---Arthalia A., Lena
I., Lora C., Earl L. and Pearl L. Our subject has held the office of Road
commissioner for six years in Salem Township. He is a prominent member of the I.
O. O. F., and belongs to Dan McCook Post, No. 53,
GAR, of Elmwood, Ill. In politics he is a firm adherent of the principles
of the Republican party.
Andrew Cochrun, deceased, a pioneer of Abingdon of 1837, was born in Franklin
County, Ohio, August 27, 1809. He was a son of Simon and Margaret Cochrun,
natives of Virginia. Our subject was reared on a farm and received the
advantages of a common-school education, and at an early age was apprenticed to
the blacksmith trade. He united with the Methodist Episcopal Church in 1825; and
was married in his native county August 22, 1833; to Miss Nancy I. Cannon. He
emigrated to Knox County in October, 1837, locating at Abingdon. Here he engaged
in blacksmithing for a time, and in 1867 entered the drug business in Murray,
Mr. Cochrun was a Republican in politics, and held many of the local offices,
among them those of School Director, Assessor and Postmaster. His death occurred
in July, 1884. His widow still survives him. The family of Mr. and Mrs. C.
consisted of four children.
F. H. Peterson
Among the respected citizens as well as successful farmers of this county is to
be found the subject of this notice. He is engaged in general farming and
stock-raising on section 8, Orange Township, where he owns a find and productive
farm of 190 acres. Mr. Peterson of this notice was born in Green County, Ohio,
February 14, 1845. His father was Felix and his mother Mary Weaver Peterson. The
former was a native of Virginia, as was likewise his wife. He died in Green
County, Ohio, after having lived a life of honorable industry, and his good wife
survives him and is yet a resident of the old homestead in Ohio. Nine olive
branches sprang from the parent tree--Martha E., J. L., Catherine, James, John
W., Ezra, Isaac, William and the subject of this notice. Isaac and William are
The gentleman whose name heads this notice was united in marriage with Miss
Emma J. Reynolds, November 22, 1877. She was the daughter of Captain W. H. and
Martha Bunday Reynolds, and was born July 07, 1857. Mr. and Mrs. Peterson have
had born to them two children--Mattie L., February 09, 1878, and one who died in
Mrs. Peterson is a member of the Christian Church, and in politics our
subject votes for the Republican party. He began life a poor boy, and what he
has he has made himself by honest, industrious labor, and not through the
recipiency of any legacy.
James Alexander Wilson, one
of the representative farmers of Galesburg Township, residing on section 27, was
born in Persifer Township May 20, 1843, and is a son of Francis and Elizabeth
(McPerrin) Wilson See sketch. He was reared on his father's farm, at intervals
attending the district schools, which was all the schooling he ever received. He
remained with his parents until he gained his majority when he married Miss
Martha Wertman, in January, 1868. She was born September 18, 1848, in Columbia
Mrs. Wilson came to Illinois with her parents in
1862 and located in this county. Their names were Elias and Mary Kistler
Wertman. They were natives of Pennsylvania; the father, born February 03, 1809,
is still living; the mother was born in 1813, also in Pennsylvania, and died
September 23, 1875. They had eight children, namely: Agnes (deceased), William,
Daniel, Sarah, Mary E., Lloyd, Martha J. and Charlie. The parents of Mr. Wilson
of our sketch had eight children--George, Thomas, Elizabeth, John, James,
Alexander, Francis, Drusilla, and Mary.
Mr. Wilson has erected
an elegant residence on his farm, two stories high, 60 x 32 feet in dimensions,
with a fine cellar under the entire structure. It is finely finished inside and
cost $4,000. He is doing a general farm business, and is a Democrat in politics
and one of the most enterprising farmers in the county. Mr. and Mrs. Wilson are
the happy parents of five children, as follows: Charles E., born November 30,
1869; Arthur C., born July 12, 1872; Lyle, August 29, 1874; Ray, June 05, 1877;
and Mary A., May 16, 1885.
Mr. Wilson has been a life-long
resident of this county, is highly esteemed by his many friends, is faithful in
all the relations of life and is a successful business man.
residing on section 27, Galesburg Township, was born in Persifer Township
September 23, 1841. He is the son of Francis and Elizabeth McPerrin Wilson. See
sketch of Francis Wilson. Mr. Wilson was bo4rn March 01, 1809, in Pennsylvania.
She was born December 15, 1819, and died August 15, 1882; the former is still
living. She moved to Illinois in 1835, and married Mr. Wilson November 26, 1840.
in Knoxville, this county. They7had five children, as follows: John, James A.
Francis M., Drusilla J. and Mary E.; the two girls being deceased.
Wilson married Miss Annie Carr September 05, 1865. She was born in Vinton
County, Ohio, December 21, 1843, and came to Illinois in 1864. They have two
children living--William C., born July 27, 1866, and Katie M., born June 06,
1875. Mrs. Wilson is the daughter of Cornelius and Catherine Lotts Carr. He was
a native of Connecticut, where he was born in 1801, inheriting the rugged
virtues of that land of steady habits, and died in Ohio, September 05, 1877. His
wife was born July 04, 1804, and is till living in the latter State. They has
six children-- Marshall P., Caroline Carr, Sylvester, John K., and Annie and
Harriet S. Annie, the youngest of the family married Mr. John Wilson, the
subject of this sketch. Mr. Wilson is really one of the pioneers of this county,
having been born, as above stated, within its limits, and has witnessed its
growth from the wilds of the prairie to one of the most populous and thrifty
counties of the State. He has 280 acres of fine land in this section, all under
a high state of cultivation. Ha has a fine dwelling-house, two stories high and
built at a cost of $4,000. It is elegantly finished in all its departments, and
has a fine basement under the entire building. Mr. Wilson bought this farm in
1871, and has since begun the breeding of Polled-Angus cattle, thus keeping pace
with the enterprise and improvement of the day. He has on his farm 2,400 rods of
tile draining, of from four to eight inch tile; has also three miles of good
hedge fence and a beautiful maple grove around his dwelling.
Mr. Wilson is a Democrat like his father before him, and practices the
principles of toleration peculiar to the Declaration of Independence as
enunciated by Thomas Jefferson. He is an enterprising, public-spirited citizen,
a good neighbor and a successful business man, and keeps up with the
improvements of his time.
Francis Wilson, (Foxie's Note: Francis is the father to
the two above Wilson brother's.
linked to portrait) Among the most prominent gentlemen who
have adorned Knox County and are resident within her boundaries, it is not too
much to say that as one, typical and noteworthy for native ability and
substantial worth, no better can be named than the subject of this personal
narration. He is a farmer, residing on section 30, Persifer Township, an ranks
among the foremost of the pioneers of that section, having entered its boundaries
in November, 1836. He came from Champaign County, Ohio, and passed a brief time
in Knoxville, where he followed blacksmithing as a vocation. In the fall of
1837, owing to the illness of his wife, he moved out of Knoxville to his farm
and immediately after the death of his life-long and faithful companion, in the
spring of 1838, he removed to Persifer Township, where he settled on section 30.
Here he established his home and has ever since remained.
Mr. Wilson was born
in Butler County, Pa., March 01, 1809. While he was still young, his parents
moved to Champaign County, Ohio, where he engaged himself to learn the
blacksmithing trade. When quite young he followed his calling with success,
which he also did for about a year after coming to Knoxville. Locating on
section 30, his present home his introductory purchase being 96 acres, he began
his struggle for prosperity and success, and to-day may be counted as one oft he
most extensive land owners in Knox County, his possessions including 1,384 acres
of land. He also owns 160 acres in Chariton County, in the State of Missouri. On
his homestead he has erected a handsome and commodious set of buildings,
complete with every modern convenience and at once attractive, desirable and
Mr. Wilson's un-requiting efforts and arduous toil are very marked and stand
out in the history of his life with vivid distinctness, as proving beyond
question the immense successes to be gained from self-reliance. He is an example
to every American youth of patience and persistence of purpose. Following his
business in the shop, he united with it his agricultural pursuits, often
laboring until midnight and going into the timber during the day. The results of
his labors prove that he has been far from a drone in the hive of life. His
first matrimonial alliance was solemnized in Champaign County, Ohio, January 17,
1833, Miss Nancy McPerrin being the other contracting party. She was a native of
Ohio and bore him three children: George W., Thomas resides with his father; and
Elizabeth is the wife of Martin Brooks, whose home is in Aledo, Ill.,;
Elizabeth had previously married Daniel Anderson, and had by her first marriage
five children, two of whom are deceased, and three living. The latter are as
follows; James, Archibald, and Francis. By her second marriage she has four
children, viz,: Lucian, Lena, Emma, and one unnamed. Mrs. Wilson died in Knox
Township, January 03, 1838.
Mr. Wilson re-married in Knox Township in September
on of the enterprising farmers of this county, resides on
section35, Galesburg Township, and is the son of Abel and Hannah Gore Griffith,
natives of Pennsylvania. Abel was born in 1803 and died in October, 1875, in
this State. The mother of our subject was born in October, 1813, and they had
three girls and five boys in their family, as Follows -- Morris, born February
20, 1836; John X., Ann E., Mary., William, Rebecca, George, Howard and Belle F.
The mother is still living at the old home in Cedar Township.
Mr. Morris Griffith was married
to Miss Elizabeth Harmony, December 27, 1859, by Rev. T. S. Vail, of the
Presbyterian Church, of Knoxville. She was born February 03, 1834, in Franklin
County, Pa., and is the daughter of John and Eve Zumbro Harmony. Her parents are
still living; they were natives of Pennsylvania, the father being born in 1801
and the mother in February, 1802, and have seven children, as follows: John,
Ellinor, Elizabeth, William, Annie, Mahala, and Franklin. This aged couple came
to Illinois in 1853 and located at Knoxville, where they still reside and are
members of the Presbyterian Church. The old gentleman is a Democrat in politics.
Mr. Griffith, the subject of this
sketch, has children living and one deceased, as follow: Herbert R., born Jan.
08, 1861; Etta O, May 22, 1862, William E., Jan 18, 1864; Arthur A., Jan 22.
1866; Frank M., Aug 24, 1868; Jessie A., June 21, 1877; and Mary E., April 21,
1871, dying September 21, 1873.
Mr. Griffith, through industry and frugality, has become the owner of 280 acres
of choice land, 120 in this township and the balance in Cedar Township. Like
most of the enterprising farmers of the State, he takes pride in improving his
property and has a fine dwelling with an excellent barn on his premises, and has
800 rods of tile drainage on the farm. The stock which roam over his fertile
fields are of the best quality -- fine thorough-bred.
Both Mr. and Mrs. Griffith are
members of the Presbyterian Church, at Knoxville. Mr. Griffith has held the
office of Commissioner of Highways, and is a Republican in politics. Yet in the
prime of life, he has secured a competency, and by honesty and strict attention
to the duties devolving upon him, he holds a high place in the respect of his
fellow-citizens. He is a native of Fayette County, Pa., where he was born in
1836, coming to Illinois in October, 1863, where he has since remained. Three of
Mr. G's brothers, by name John X., William and George, were in the War of the
Rebellion and all passed through without a scratch.
Anthony W. Caldwell
is a successful farmer and a
representative citizen of Knox County, whose homestead lies on section 30, and
who is the son of John and Mary Baird Caldwell, both natives of Pennsylvania.
They came to Knox county from Pennsylvania in 1839, and settled in Persifer
Township among other pioneers, and from its infancy have watched the growth of
the county as it assumed larger and larger proportions and its boundaries
extended farther, until she stands to-day one of the populous and prosperous
counties of Illinois.
Caldwell is the third child in order of birth of family of nine, and was born in
Lycoming county, Pa., August 30, 1824. He was 15 years of age when he came
to Knox County with his parents, and attending the common schools, gained a
moderately good education. He remained at home until he attained the age of 24
years, when he made up his mind to take a trip to California, and in 1850
started across the plains. He was absent from home almost two years, and
returning to Knox County, remained only a short time and again went back to the
land of gold. In the fall of 1856 his heart again sought the familiar scenes of
his youth, and he set his face east ward, this time remaining contentedly at
home until 1862, when he again went to the Golden state, and where he has since
been engaged in farming and stock-raising. He was a miner while in California,
and met with moderate success. H is now the owner of 159 acres in Persifer
Township, in which section of the country he was married December 10, 1857, to
Sarah M. Manley, daughter of George W. and Lucretia Weed Manley, Natives of
Massachusetts and New York respectively. They came to Knox county in 1838, from
Chautauqua County, NY and settled in Persifer Township, where they passed the
remainder of their days and were there buried. They were the parents of seven
children, of whom Mrs. C, was the youngest. She was born in Chautauqua County,
Aug. 16, 1831, and is the mother of five children, two of whom died in infancy.
Those living are John W., William, residing
in Knox County, where he is engaged in farming, and Charles A., still under the
Mr. Caldwell takes
some interest in public matters and casts his vote with the Democratic party.
Cramer. Among those who have
attained success in following a profession which is recognized as one of the
most independent of all callings is he whose brief historical sketch we here
give. Mr. Cramer is and has been since he came to the county, energetically and
industriously engaged in agricultural pursuits on section 32, Orange Township.
He is a native of Ohio, having been born in Clermont County June 29, 1933.
The father of our subject was a native of
Ohio, his parents, William and Sarah A.
Shute Cramer, having emigrated to this Ste in 1852, making the journey
overland and camping by the wayside to prepare their frugal meals. The father,
on his arrival here , made his first purchase of land, consisting of 90 acres,
in Chestnut Township. The land was somewhat improved when he bought it, and he
located upon it with his family and continued it's improvement and cultivation,
and added to the same until he had 400 acres of land, a large portion of which
was under a fine state of cultivation at the time of his demise, which occurred
in 1875. His wife died on the same farm in 1871, and they lie buried side by
side in the
Harper Cemetery in Chestnut Township.
They subject of this brief notice was one of a
family of twelve children and the seventh in order of birth, the record being as
follows: Richard., Adam deceased, Mary A., Eliza J., Rebecca, William, Elijah,
Benjamin, Malah and Mahala; twins, and Anseline, together with one who died in
infancy unnamed. William Cramer, the father of our subject, was a second time,
married, Mrs. Jacobs becoming his wife, but their union was without issue.
subject of this sketch was married to
Miss Jennie Haynes, January 20, 1861.
She was the daughter of Harmon L. and Cerilda Haynes, and was born in 1839 in
Orange Twp. Six Children have been born to brighten the home of our
subject, named as follows. Haney, Born March 25, 1862; Cerilda, born September
08, 1864, deceased; Emma M. born April 21, 1866; Lewis H., November 16, 1868;
Sarah A., June 25, 1871; and Edwin March 26, 1877.
The wife and mother died February 20,
1881, and lies buried in the cemetery at
For his second wife Mr. Cramer of this notice
married Mrs. Nancy Mather,
widow of Lewis R. Mather, the ceremony taking place
April 19, 1883, and of their union there has been no issue. By her former
marriage she had three children--Francis born June 08, 1859, deceased; Joseph M.
born July 19, 1861, and Lewis R., born November 20, 1862.
Civil War Vet
This county was a
large class of citizens represented in the agricultural interests of the county,
who started in life with nothing, but who through laborious toil, together with
fair and honorable dealing, have made a success in life, and to-day have fine
farms as the result of their labor and energy, Among the number referred to, and
a gentleman respected and honored for his sterling worth and integrity, is the
subject of this biographical notice, who is industriously engaged in the
prosecution of his vocation on section 27, Orange Township.
Mr. Cramer was born in
Clermont Co., Ohio, September13, 1837, and is the son of Joseph and Elizabeth
Binkley Cramer. He first came to this state in 1857, and staid one summer, when
he returned to the Buckeye State, and was there variously occupied until 1862.
During that year he disposed of his interest in that State, when he removed to
this county and here rented land and followed farming until 1870. He then
purchased the farm on which he is at present residing, the same consisting of
130 acres, 78 acres being located on section 27, and 60 acres on section 34,
Orange Township. On this land he located with his family and has there been
actively engaged in its improvement and cultivation until the present time,
meeting with success, which was brought about by his own perseverance and the
active co-operation of his good helpmeet.
Miss Martha Mather
became the wife of our subject September 20. 1865. She is the daughter of Isaac
and Mary A. Fortner Mather (bio below
brothers is below.),
born September 07, 1845. The household has been blest by the birth of three
children -- Edwin, born December 13, 1867; Torence, September 18, 1869; and
Frank, March 29, 1879.
Mr. Cramer, of this notice, was soldier in the late war, having enlisted for
three months in the 2d Ohio's Vol. Inf., April 23, 1861. He received an
honorable discharge August 19, 1861, of that year. The most of the time during
his service he was engaged in guarding railroad bridges. After his discharge he
again enlisted in the same fall in the 23d Ohio Vol. Inf., but was not permitted
to fight for the flag he loved, on account of physical disability, the Examining
Surgeon rejecting him as having weak lungs. Our subject has a good, comfortable
frame dwelling on his farm and one of the best barns in this township, together
with all necessary out-buildings for the prosecution of his calling on his fine
and productive farm. In politics he votes for the Republican party, and is a
of the agricultural class in his township.
Among the prosperous farmers of Orange
Township who have attained success by energy and industry in their chosen
vocation is the subject of this notice. He is a self-made man in every sense the
word implies, and is engaged in his calling on section 27, Orange Township. Mr.
Mather was born in the township in which he resides, Oct. 21, 1843. His father
was Isaac and his mother Mary A. Fotner
Mather, the former being a native of New
York born Jan 19, 1791. The father of our subject was a farmer by
occupation and followed his calling until his demise in this county, Feb 28,
1871. He came to Illinois in 1833, and settled on the place where George now
lives. The first year he and his family lived in block houses in order to be
protected against the Indians. His wife, mother of our subject, was born in
Virginia, December 05, 1800, and died in this county July 25, 1870.
The subject of this notice
joined the army of benedicts April 08, 1866, by uniting with
Jane Cramer, the
intelligent and accomplished daughter of James and Anseline Jones Cramer.
was born in Clermont Co., Ohio, March 17, 1848. Her parents were born in
Maryland, the father April 15, 1816, and her mother February 04, 1821. The
father died in Ohio in 1877, and the mother in this county July 06, 1865; Our
subject secured his education in the common schools of his native county and was
here brought up to the calling in which he is are present engaged. He is the
owner of 182 acres of good land, located on section 27, Orange Township, where
the is actively and energetically engaged in the prosecution of his calling on
his place he has a frame residence one and one-half stories in the height, of
the most modern architecture, and likewise a good barn and necessary
out-buildings, and his farm is s3econd to none in Orange Township.
Of the union of Mr.
and Mrs. Mather the following children were born: Emory E., born Nov. 03, 1867,
died Feb 28, of the same year (this would mean to me 1878.) Raymond
E. born November 03, 1867, died July 14, 1881; Amanda E, born June 17, 1881 died
July 16, of the same year; Arthur, born in August, 1873, died July 04, 1881;
Martha, born September 30, 1875; Frank, December 13, 1876, died January 25,
1877. Optically Mr. Mather is a believer in and a supporter of the principles
advocated by the Republican party. As a representative of the agricultural class
of Orange Township he may certainly be classified as the peer of any. He is not
a member or any church organization, but is a believer in the Golden Rule, and a
liberal in his views. George & Jane
Cramer are buried in the Haynes Cemetery.
from the early history of the county until
his decease, was a respected and honored citizen of Knox County and a successful
farmer of Orange Township. He resided on his fine farm on Section 24, where he
followed the independent calling of an agriculturists, until the date of his
demise. He was born on a day dear to the hearts of every American citizen on
account of it's being the anniversary of the "Father of his Country", February
22, 1828. He was born in Maryland, and was the son of
Samuel and Eliza Wiley
Mather. He came with his parents to Illinois in 1834, and settled in Orange Township, they being among its earliest pioneers.
Samuel Mather was married
to Margaret Allen January 04, 1849. She was the daughter of William and Nancy
Wilkins Allen. Her father was a native of Indiana and her mother of
Pennsylvania, and she was born in Jefferson County, Ind.., in 1830. Samuel and
Margaret Mather lived and labored with but one interest in common, and that the
welfare of their family, until his demise,
Aug 09, 1875.
His remains lie buried
in the Mather Cemetery in Orange Township. His good wife still survives
him, and together with her children carries on the farm on the old homestead.
Eight children were born of their union --- Richard A, April 06, 1850; Eliza J.,
a Christmas gift to her parents in 1853; Hester A., December 11, 1854; Robert
H., November 03, 1856; Nancy E., January 16, 1859; Mary, June 29, 1864; died
August 10, 1866; Francis was born August 29, 1865, and John April 16, 1867.
Richard A. married Miss Mary Norman, and resides in Norton County, Kan.; their
children are named Daisy and Florence; by a former marriage with
deceased, there were two children, named Laura and Aminda Mather, who are
staying with their grandmother. Eliza J. married James Dugger, a resident of
Orange Township and a farmer; they have three children, named Samuel, Albert,
and Addie. Nancy E. married William Snell, a farmer in Persifer Township; they
have three children-- George, Jennie and Willie.
The widow of Samuel
Mather owns 90 acres of good and productive land, all of it under an advanced
state of cultivation, with the exception of eight acres, which is young timber.
She has a good frame dwelling on her place and a fine frame barn, and is
carrying on her farming operations intelligently and prosperously,. Religiously,
Mrs. Mather is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church, as likewise was her
husband. In politics Mr. Mather was a Republican, and was held in great honor
for his sterling worth and integrity.
Four brothers of Samuel--
Joseph, Lewis, David, and James were soldiers in the late war.
Joseph and Lewis died in the service;
the first named was a member of Co D 7th Ill Cal.
This gentleman's farm is located on section
12, Cedar Township. He was born in West Virginia, September 15, 1813, but came
to Illinois with his father in 1833, and took upon his position on the present
section, where he made a claim, but settled here in 1834, at which time the
property came into market. His parents were
Henry and Sarah Curry Castle. They
were both natives of West Virginia; his father was born in 1768, and died in
1840, in the State of Illinois, at the advanced age of 72 years. His mother's
birth occurred in 1780, and her death in the State of Virginia in 1831. By this
desirable marriage there were eight children, George, Oliver, Catharine,
Susanna, May, Mary, Henry, Reuben, and John. Rueben, the seventh and the second
youngest child, the only survivor of the family, married
Miss Mary A. Long. She
was born October 18, 1814, in Allegheny County, near Pittsburgh, Pa. She came to
Ohio with her parents, where she established herself with them at Muskingum, and
remained up to her 20th year; with them she removed into Illinois about this
date, where they landed in November, 1835.
After the location of
her parents in Knoxville, they remained here five years and then moved into
Cedar Township, where they concluded the remainder of their days on the farm
they then possessed. Their names were George and Catharine Duffey Long.
[Foxie's Note: George & Cahterine are
buried in the Brush Greek Cemetery.] he was
born in 1780 and died in 1863. She was born in 1790, and died in 1850. Their
marriage took place in 1813, and by the union nine children were the
result --Mary A., Sarah, George M., Eliza J., William, Margaret, Charles,
Martha, and Harriet who died (and is buried in the Brush Creek Cemetery with her
parents.) To Grace their household Mr and Mrs. Reuben Castle have four
interesting children -- George H., born August 30, 1843; Rufus, born April 12,
1842; Sarah C., May 14, 1845; and Curtis H., born October 04, 1848. All these
children are now happily married. Two of them live in Iowa, and one son, a
physician, is at Point Arena, on the Pacific Coast, whither he proceeded
November 01, 1882
Mr. Castle's farm is land of the first quality, and consists of 210 acres. He
took it in the wild state, and has now brought it to a high degree of
cultivation. Here he erected a fine dwelling-house in 1855. He has successively
held the office of School Director and Commissioner of Highways. Both he and his
wife are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church at Knoxville, in which church
he has held
the office of Steward, reflecting thereby much credit upon himself and benefit
upon the congregation. Mr. Castle is a Republican in politics and a stanch
adherent of the party.
George and Rufus, his oldest sons, enlisted in the 59th and 83d Regs. Ill Vol.
In this position George remained five years, and was present at the battles
of Stone River, Pea Ridge, Perryville and Franklin. He went forward to attend
with General Thomas, and on his way was wounded in the left jaw. Owing to this
casualty he draws a regular pension. These two sons, like their father, are both
good Republicans. Rufus married Alice V. Boylan, March 29, 1869. They have three
children -- Carroll C., aged 14; Reuben Raymond, aged 11, and Faith A., aged 6
years. George H. married Gertrude Swigert, and their union has been blest with
six children --Mary C., Grace, George M. Curtis H., Nellie M., and Ruth.
George H. is an attorney at law, residing at Shenandoah, Iowa. Sarah C. is the
wife of John H. Griffith. Their marriage was solemnized in February, 1866, and
they have become the parents of five children, whose names are Blanche E.,
Gaylord C., Mary A., Edna E., and John L. They reside in Page County, and he is
a farmer by occupation. Curtis H., who is a physician, residing in California,
was married to Miss Alma Taber, October 09, 1879. They are the parents of two
children -- Grace and Curtis H. George is a graduate of Knox College, in the
class of 1872, and Curtis at the Northwestern University at Evanston, Ill. He
also won laurels for himself at the College of Physicians and Surgeons.
enlisted in Co C of the 83d Ill. Vol Inf, in 1861, and served until the close of
the war. George enlisted in Co. A of the 59th Ill Vol. Inf., in 1861, and
veteranized and served until the close of the war, when he was discharged with
honors in February, 1866.
Solomon Wood Rogers
is an old
settler of Knox County, and farmer on section 16, Salem township. He was born 5
March 1819, in Muskingum County, Ohio. His father, Edward Rogers was a native of
Virginia and an early settler in the county in which our subject was born,
locating there about 1811. An uncle of the mother of our subject, John Robinson,
together with his wife, was taken prisoner by the Indians, and by them was taken
to Ohio. After a few months' captivity, he made his escape, and returning to
Virginia, raised a company, went back to Ohio and secured his wife. The father
of our subject, Edward Rogers, was a member of this party, and it was while on
this raid that the different members determined to settle in Ohio.
Edward Rogers secured a tract of timber land in Ohio, upon which he
remained until 1821. Disposing of this property, he returned to Harrison County,
Virginia, remaining there until the spring of 1838, the date of his removal with
his wife and six children to the Prairie State. They came via the West Fork of
the Monongahela River to Pittsburg, on a flatboat built for the occasion. At the
latter place they were transferred to a steamer and came via the Ohio,
Mississippi and Illinois Rivers to Peoria, thence to Canton. At the latter place
he rented a tract of land. upon which he remained until 1845. Removing with his
family to Knox County, he again rented for a period of six years. His son, the
subject of this notice, meanwhile entered a claim on the northwest quarter of
section 16, now in Salem Township, and while living upon the rented property
both the father and son were improving the farm on section 16, to which they
moved in 1848. The death of Edward Rogers occurred 22 December 1866. The maiden
name of the mother of our subject was Elizabeth Wood, a native of Virginia. Her
death occurred in 1849. The children born to the senior Mr. Rogers and wife were
ten in number, only two of whom are living - S.W., our subject and a sister,
Elizabeth, relict of Robert Dennis, who lives with her son at Maquon.
The subject of this sketch was an infant of two years when his parents
removed to Virginia, and was 19 years old when they emigrated to Illinois. He
had always remained at home, with the exception of a few months at a time, until
the death of his father. After coming to Illinois, he was engaged at various
employments, and in 1842-43 was occupied in chopping wood and teaming near the
Illinois River. He had saved a sufficiency of his earnings to enable him, in
1845, to enter the tract of land which he now owns and occupies. He did not,
however, settle upon this until three years later. In the meantime he had
erected a log cabin, together with a few other improvements, and in 1848
installed his parents and one sister in the cabin. Since that time he has made
great improvements upon his farm, having erected a substantial set of frame
buildings, enclosed his entire acreage and placed the same under a fine state of
cultivation. He has earned the reputation of being one of Knox County's most
industrious farmers, and this, together with his good judgment, has made him
successful. Mr. Rogers has added from time to time to his acreage, until he is
at this writing, the possessor of 520 acres, all of which is located in Salem
S.W. Rogers formed a matrimonial alliance 15 April 1850, with
daughter of Silas and Elizabeth (Terry) Hand. She was born in Highland County,
Ohio, 28 September 1828. Her parents were natives of New Jersey and Virginia
Mr. and Mrs. Rogers are the parents of five children - Sophia E., William
H., Millard F., Solomon W., and Franklin G. Mr. R. was formerly a Whig, but upon
the organization of the Republican party, he joined its ranks and has cast his
vote for that party since that time. In matters of religion he is liberal, and
believes in doing to others as he would have them do unto him.
linked to portraits----One of
the most important factors in the prosperity of Knox County is found in the
person of the subject of this biography, who is a farmer and stockdealer, living
on section 3, of Haw Creek Township. He is one of the solid men of the county,
owns considerable property, and is an instance of what energy of purpose
combined with industry and persistent toil can do.
Mr. Ramp was born in Cumberland County, Pennsylvania,
20 November 1815, and is the son of
William and Mary (Hebberling) Ramp, both natives of Pennsylvania. The
family was originally of German lineage, as their patronymic goes to show. The
subject of this recital removed to Miami County, Ohio, in 1844, and engaged in
farming. In 1848 he removed to Knox County, Illinois and took up his abode on
section 3, Haw Creek, where he now resides. He owns 2,000 acres of land in this
county, located in Haw Creek, Persifer, and Truro Townships, all, except 300
acres of pasture, under a high state of cultivation. Mr. Ramp has one of the
best dwellings in the township, built of brick and costing upward of $6,000. The
grounds are laid out in a tasteful and picturesque manner, and the barn,
corn-houses, and out-buildings are first class in every respect, and second to
none in the county.
On the 26th of October, 1837, he deserted the ranks of
single blessedness and was united in marriage to
Sarah Mapps. She was the daughter
of John and Elizabeth (Highland) Mapps
and was born in New Jersey. Her mother was a native of Pennsylvania, from
a family of English origin on the father's side and Irish on the mother's side.
To Mr. and Mrs. Ramp have been born 13 children, as follows:
Elizabeth, born 10 April 1839. was the
wife of John W. Cook, and deceased 14 January 1862; William was born 4 October
1840, united in marriage with Octavia Fravel, and lives near Yates City,
Illinois; Mary Jane, born 28 October 1843, is the wife of Henry Bell, residing
in Persifer Township; John, born 10 March 1842, died 11 August 1842; David was
born 6 September 1845, was married to Virginia Vores, of Persifer Township,
their present home; Aaron, born 1 March 1847, died 14 January 1854; Benjamin,
born 11 December 1848, died 5 June 1850; Samuel, born 11 November 1850, united
in marriage with Amanda Jacobs, who lives in Truro Township, this county; Jesse
M. born 11 February 1853, died 31 October 1853; Asa M., born 24 January 1855,
married Deborah Westner, and lives in Truro Township; Cephas A., born 18
November 1856, married Julia Biggerstaff, and lives in Persifer Township; James
W., born 22 February 1859, married Mary Biggerstaff, and resides in Haw Creek
Township; and Charles A., born 12 August 1862, is married to Sarah E. Green, of
Haw Creek Township. They reside at home, assisting to carry on the home
place. Mr. and Mrs. Ramp have 40 grandchildren and 6 great-grandchildren.
When Mr. Ramp moved to Ohio, in 1844, he only had
about $150, and when he came to Knox County, in 1848, his possessions amounted
to only about $1,200 on arrival. On arriving here he purchased a farm of 87
acres. He rented a house and spent the winter in Knoxville, and desiring to earn
a little money he engaged in teaming from Knoxville to Peoria. On the third
trip, going down the Spoon River Hill, the staple on the neck-yoke broke; Mr.
Ramp was walking, and in attempting to catch the team he was thrown to the
ground, the wheels passing over his left leg, which necessitated its amputation
at the upper part of the thigh. From this accident he was all winter recovering,
and when in the spring he moved out to the farm with his wife and six small
children, he had but a few dollars and was in debt on account of his sickness.
Now a man of less courage would have been disheartened, but not so with Mr.
Ramp. With commendable energy he set about to recover his fortunes, and by the
exercise of foresight and good judgment he finally carved out success. Little by
little he added to his landed estate, until now his broad acreage comprises one
of the finest farms in Knox County. Both Mr. and Mrs. Ramp refer with much
gratitude to the kind attentions bestowed on them by the citizens of Knoxville,
during their sore trials; the remembrance of those kind acts will ever be green
in their memories. The people of Knoxville wished to present them with two
hundred dollars, but they would not accept it. In 1860, while Mr. Ramp was
driving a mower, one of the wheels fell into a blind ditch, and he was thrown on
the ground in front of the sickle-bar, which cut off his right arm below the
elbow. Even this did not discourage him, and he still continues to manage his
Mr. Ramp has held many minor
offices of this county, and township, and has been Justice of the Peace for four
years. Both himself and wife are members of the Presbyterian Church at
Knoxville, and in politics he is a Republican. At their beautiful home, Mr. and
Mrs. Ramp dispense a liberal hospitality. He ranks as one of the enterprising
and public-spirited citizens of Knox County.
Orange Township has its quota of successful and well-to-do farmers, men who have
attained success through individual effort, energy and perseverance, and who are
in the sunset of life enjoying a well-earned competency. Prominent among the
class mentioned as a citizen and successful agriculturist, residing on section
11, Orange Township, where he is engaged in his chosen vocation, is the subject
of this brief sketch. Born in Shenandoah County, Virginia, 27 March 1820 of
parents by name, John and Elizabeth (Barber) Redd, he seems to have inherited
his love for faming, as his father was a farmer before him, and a soldier in the
War of 1812. He and his good wife, the mother of our subject, died on the old
homestead in Ohio, about the year 1827, when Walter was quite young.
Orphaned at an early age, the subject of our sketch worked by the month at
whatever he could find to do, and was variously occupied until February, 1842.
At that date he came to this county, and on arrival here, being without money,
he engaged in labor by the month, and thus continued for 18 months, when he went
to Knoxville, and was there employed in a flour mill for eight years, thus
acquiring the miller's trade. At the end of that time he purchased 160 acres of
land in Orange Township, the same being the identical tract on which he is
residing at this time and where he has lived continuously engaged in
After arriving at mature manhood, Mr. Redd became dissatisfied with the
life of "single blessedness, and 12 September 1844, joined the army of
benedicts, Miss Frances Allen becoming his wife. She is the daughter of William
and Nancy (Wilkins) Allen, and was born in Jefferson county, Indiana, 5 April
1826, her mother being a native of Pennsylvania and her father of Kentucky, and
both of them deceased, their demise occurring in this county. The Allen family
came to Knox County in about 1836 and took up a claim in Persifer Township,
where the father remained until his death.
The union of Mr. and Mrs. Redd has been blest by the birth of twelve
children, of which the following is a record: Benjamin F., born 20 July 1846,
died in infancy; Robert H. was born 12 September 1847; Julia and Julius (twins)
22 December 1851, the latter is deceased, his demise occurring 23 January 1852;
Lorena was born 12 January 1854; Blanche, 1 September 1855; Frank 21 September
1857; Ida M., 15 February 1860; Grace 22 November 1861; Etta, 22 May 1863;
Harvey, 5 April 1868, yet at home. Robert H. married Miss Melissa McDowell and
is a farmer in Decatur County, Iowa; they have four children, whose names are
Margaret F., William, Lora and Fred Redd. John W. married Miss Clara Barnett and
is a farmer in Nebraska, they have the following named children: Flora, Lucy,
Harvey, Delia, Clyde, Albert and Luther. Julia is the wife of John F. Fink and
resides in Johnson County, Nebraska, they have six children, whose names are
Frances, John, Harvey, Cora, Lulu, Archie and a son not names. Lorena is the
wife of Peter Hawley, and resides in Orange Township; they have one children
living, named Dora Hawley. Blanche is the wife of Julius J. Maxey and lives in
Orange Township; they have four children, named Maud P., Ray, Frank and Lula.
Ida M. married Park Garwood, they live in Dundee County, Nebraska and have one
child, named Pauline. Grace married James Mowry and lives in Osceola, Iowa, they
have no children. Etta married Frank Motter, they live on a farm in Persifer
Township, and have one son, Arlass Motter.
Mr. Redd has a fine farm in Orange Township, consisting
of 300 acres of well improved land. On his place he has a good, substantial
dwelling, together with a barn, shed, and other necessary out-buildings, and in
the prosecution of his calling is meeting with that success which perseverance
and energy coupled with economy seldom fail to bring. His wife is a member of
the Methodist Episcopal Church, and socially Mr. Redd belongs to Knoxville
Lodge, No. 66, A. F.&A.M. In politics he is a supporter of the principles
advocated by the Republican party.
William Gould. The
subject of this personal notice is one of the most prominent and influential
farmers of Knox County, and is highly esteemed for his perseverance and
industry. His home is on section 14, in Salem Township, is pleasantly located,
and furnished with all modern conveniences. He has erected large frame barns and
sheds for the shelter of stock, and to his agricultural pursuits adds the
rearing of stock.
The subject of this writing was born in Windham County,
Vermont, 10 May 1833. His father
Sylvester Gould, was a native of the same county, and was born in 1794.
The grandfather of William Gould, by name John, was a soldier of Revolutionary
fame, and was also the owner of a farm in Windham County, at which place he
died. The father of William Gould was reared on the farm in his native county,
and was there married to Hannah Twitchell, who was also born in that county.
After his marriage he bought a farm in Windham County and engaged in its
culture. He kept many sheep and from them manufactured wool and cloth. In 1843
he sold on of his farms and disposed of his stock, and accompanied by his wife
and five children started in the month of June, overland to the State of
Illinois. They traveled after the fashion of emigrants, cooking and camping by
the way, and subsequently located at Brimfield, Peoria County, where he rented a
farm. He had brought with him a quantity of cloth, which was manufactured from
his own wool, and during the first year he traded the cloth for the southeast
quarter of section 14, in what is now Salem Township. This was wild land at the
time and his purchase amounted to $1,000, paid for in cloth at $2.50 and $3.00
per yard. In 1844 he erected a good frame house on the place and began breaking
the land, and in the spring of 1845, with his family, removed there and lived
until 1861. In that year he sold out and with his family removed to a farm lying
on section 13 of the same township, and they there continued to reside for a few
years, when they again sold out and removed to Elmwood, taking up their abode in
that place and remaining until 1870. Returning to the old homestead, then
operated by his son, he continued in the home endeared to him by so many
associations until his death, which took place 1 September 1871. His wife, who
survived him six years, died at the home of a son, in Galva, in 1877.
The union of Mr. and Mrs. Gould gathered about
them a family circle including ten children, six of whom still survive, as
follows: Margaret married E. B. Kent, whose home is in San Benito County,
California; Luther lives at Wakefield, Nebraska; Lucy Ann, wife of William
Cummings, resides at Hollister, California; Sylvester has his home in San Benito
County, California, William, the subject of our sketch; and Horace, who lives in
San Benito California, California. Those deceased are David C. who was born in
Vermont, remained in his native state, enlisted in the late war and fell in the
service of his country; Hannah, the eldest child, married Nelson Drury, and died
in Woodford County, Illinois, about 1852.
Mr. Gould of whom this personal history was but
11 years of age when he came to Illinois with his parents, and retains in his
memory all the interesting incidents connected with the overland journey. He
made his home with his parents until he arrived at the estate of manhood.
His marriage was celebrated 6 May 1854,
with Mary E. Corbin, daughter of William and Rachel (McGinnis) Corbin. (see
Previous to his marriage Mr. Gould rented his father's
farm for two years, inhabiting the old homestead, the lumber for which his
father had hauled from Chicago by teams. There he remained for two years, and at
the expiration of that time, he bought a farm on section 22, in Salem Township,
on which he remained for one year, when he returned to the old home and rented
it for two years. His next move was to go back to his own farm, where he lived
for another two years, then sold out and bought the old homestead, which he has
occupied continuously since. The first house burned 12 April 1880, but its owner
immediately set to work to repair the damages and rebuild, the house then
erected being the one now occupied by his family. This a modern frame house,
pleasantly situated on a rise of ground, and with convenient out-buildings
constitutes one of the pleasantest homes in the county.
Mr. Gould is a man of fine mental attainments and takes
a keen interest in matters relative to public interest. He cast his first vote
for J.C. Fremont, and has been a Republican since. Both he and his wife are
united with the Methodist Episcopal Church, and are active, working members in
that organization, eminently believing in "traveling the good old way." They are
the parents of two children, Sylvester S., born 6 June 1855, united in marriage
with Mary E. Knable; she was born in Ohio and is the daughter of John E. and
Mary A. Knable, and with her husband resides on section 10, Salem Township;
William C., born 15 June 1859, resides at home.
Mr. Gould has added to his landed estate from time to
time until he is now the owner of 400 acres. He possesses not only worldly
wealth but has hope of treasures laid up above. A view of the pleasant family
homestead is given on another page in this work. submitted by Joyce Cravens
Free Site Counter
created July 29, 2005
Monday, August 14, 2006 04:31:56 AM
updated and uploaded.
Thanks for stopping by and come back soon. Always a work in