1899 Historical Encyclopedia of Illinois Knox County, IL
This progenitor of the large family of Galesburg Ferrises was the fourth child of Silvanus, son of James and Mary Ferris. This James was the eldest son of another James Ferris, born about 1638, who was the son of Jeffrey Ferris, one of the early settlers of Charlestown, Massachusetts, whence he moved to Stamford, Connecticut, about 1641. Here the family lived for some time, some of them finally moving to Greenwich, Fairfield County, in that state, where the first Silvanus was born August 10, 1737. On September 10, 1761, he married Mary Mead, who was born September 30, 1742, and died July 22, 1822. He died January 12, 1824. He is alleged to have served in the Revolutionary War, and to have taken part in the Ticonderoga and Crown Point campaigns, but this cannot be verified. At any rate he espoused the patriot cause, and was obliged to move from Greenwich because of the persecutions of neighboring tories. May 28, 1772, he purchased a farm in Westchester County, New York. Here the second Silvanus, born March 5, 1773, at Greenwich, the subject of this paragraph, grew to manhood; and here he married Sally Olmstead, March 15, 1798. While that region was still wild and unsettled he moved to Herkimer County, New York, where he later became a prosperous dairy farmer, accumulating what was then regarded as a very large fortune. His industry and thrift were almost proverbial in his neighborhood, and his enterprise astonishing for those times. When Rev. George W. Gale organized the Galesburg colony Silvanus Ferris was his chief assistant, and was the financial backer of the enterprise. It has been said that there were three men who were essential to the colony’s success: Rev. George W. Gale, Professor N. H. Losey, and Silvanus Ferris. Mr. Ferris became the largest land owner of the colony. He was the father of eight children, and to each of the seven who grew to maturity he gave a section of land. He was always prominent in local affairs, and ranked among the foremost men of Knox County. He died June 16, 1861. His children were Silvanus Western, Nathan Olmstead, Timothy Harvey, William Mead, Henry, Laura (who died early), Harriet Newell and George Washington Gale. His descendants form one of the largest families in Galesburg.
Farmer; Galesburg, where he was born August 27, 1845. His father, Henry Ferris, was born in Herkimer County, New York, October 18, 1809; he was one of the first settlers, and was a member of the Galesburg Colony. His mother, Elizabeth Hudson, whose marriage to Henry Ferris occurred at Henderson Grove August 31, 1836, was a native of New Hampshire, and was one of the first school teachers in Knox County. His grandparents were Silvanus and Sallie (Olmstead) Ferris. Mr. Ferris was educated in Knox Academy. May 13, 1868, he was married to Mary Drew at Galesburg. They are the parents of four children: Arthur T., Harry D., Mary and Harriet L. who died January 16, 1899. Mr. Ferris is a republican.
Hack and transfer business; Galesburg; born March 4, 1852, in Perry County, Pennsylvania; educated in the common schools. He was married to Viola E. Russell at Galesburg, December 25, 1873. His father, Wilson Fisher, was born in Perry County, Pennsylvania; his mother, Margaret (Murphy) Fisher, was born in Cumberland County, Pennsylvania. Mr. Fisher’s parents died when he was a child. At four years of age, he came to Aurora, Illinois, and lived with his uncle, Jesse Kirkpatrick, where he attended school and worked on a farm. In 1872, he came to Galesburg and followed the occupation of painting for four years; was then employed by the American Express Company as Transfer Clerk for twelve years; and later entered into partnership with John Johnson, in the hack and transfer business. The business has prospered and the firm now has hack lines at all depots, and at the Union Hotel, and transfer lines to all parts of the city. The firm has its office at the Union Hotel. In religion, Mr. Fisher is a Baptist. He is a republican.
Wholesale liquor dealer; Galesburg; born August 1, 1846 in Ireland, where he was educated. His parents were Patrick and Mary (Coffey) Flynn, of Ireland. Mr. Flynn was married to Nano Ryan in 1893 at Galesburg, Illinois. Their children are: J. Frank, George W., Daniel W., Catherine, and Mary. Mr. Flynn is a Catholic. In politics, he is a republican.
Dentist; Galesburg; born in Chicago, Illinois, December 5, 1873; received his education in Illinois, and in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. His father, D. W. Flynn, was born in Ireland; his mother was Catherine (Norton) Flynn, and was born in New York State; his paternal grandparents, Patrick and Mary (Coffey) Flynn, and his maternal grandparents, James and Ann (Dolan) Norton, were born in Ireland. Dr. J. F. Flynn received a college education in Galesburg, Illinois, after which he took a course in dentistry in Chicago, and in Philadelphia. He is now established in business in the Marquette Building, South Cherry street, Galesburg, Illinois.
Conductor; Galesburg; born November 22, 1844, in Washington County, New York, where he was educated in the common schools. He was married to Elizabeth Kelly in Galesburg, May 9, 1873. They have two children, Ralph and Blanch. Mr. Fox came to Knox County in 1859, and farmed till 1861, when he enlisted in Company E. Tenth Regiment Illinois Volunteers for three months. He re-enlisted in Company A, Thirty-Sixth Regiment Illinois Volunteer Cavalry, and served till 1866. In May, 1866, he began work for the Chicago, Burlington and Quincy Railroad as brakeman. For fourteen years he has been a conductor in the passenger service. Mr. Fox is a Protestant. In politics he is a republican.
Contractor and builder; Galesburg; born in Sweden, April 20, 1854; came to Galesburg in 1874, and worked at his trade as carpenter. He married Anna Anderson in 1883. They have five children: George A., Arthur H., Gunnard C., Carl, and Anna E. Mr. Freeberg began contracting and building in 1886 and is still engaged in that business.
Conductor; Galesburg; born in Ireland, in December 1844; educated in the common schools. He married Catherine L. Barrett in St. Patrick’s Church, Chicago, April 13, 1868. They have three children: William T., Mabel A., and Francis J. Mr. Garrity came from Ireland when a small boy and lived in New York and New Jersey. In 1856 he moved to Wisconsin. In April 1861 he enlisted in Company I, Fifth Regiment, Wisconsin Volunteers; was made a Corporal, and was honorably discharged December 25, 1863; re-enlisted in Company B, and served till July 11, 1865. For gallantry at the battle of Winchester, Virginia, he was promoted to a Sergeant; was wounded in the battle of the Wilderness, and was in many of the battles fought by the Army of the Potomac. In 1867 he came to Galesburg and began work for the Chicago, Burlington and Quincy Railroad as brakeman. In 1870, was made conductor; left for the West in 1875; and in 1880 he returned to Galesburg and to his former position with the Chicago, Burlington and Quincy Railroad. He is a member of the G. A. R., Post No. 45; and a member of the Order of Railroad Conductors.
Galesburg; retired; born December 17, 1822, at Bridgeport, Vermont; educated in the common schools. His father, Lusher, and his mother, Elisa, were born in Vermont. He was married October 3, 1872 at Galesburg, to Lorraine E. Gay. Mr. Gay came to Galesburg in 1836, settled upon a farm in Henderson Grove. For several years he was a merchant at Henderson. In religion he is a Protestant. In politics a republican.
Conductor; Galesburg; born November 13, 1857 at Burlington, Iowa, where he was educated. His parents were Henry and Hepzibah (Malphas) Gent, of England. He was first married to Isabel Herman; they have one daughter living, Grertrude I. His second marriage, February 12, 1894 at Buffalo, Wyoming, was with Luella M. Ghent; they have one daughter, L. Ruth. Mr. Gent’s parents came from England to Newark, New York and thence to Burlington, Iowa. Mr. Gent learned the carpenter’s trade, which he followed till 1879, when he began as brakeman on the Chicago, Burlington and Quincy Railroad. He was transferred from Burlington to Galesburg in 1889, and is now a conductor.
Charles Hubbard Huggins, son of David and Cynthia (Bartlett) Huggins, was born in Orleans County, Vermont, November 27, 1826. David Huggins was born in Cornish, New Hampshire, May 14, 1787. In 1834 he came, with his son Nathaniel, to Knoxville, Illinois, and purchased land in Knox Township, and town lots in Knoxville, and then returned to Vermont. In the Fall of the same year he removed with his family to Knox County, via Burlington, Vermont; Lake Champlain; Troy, New York; Erie Canal to Buffalo, New York; by boat to Cleveland, Ohio; by canal to Portsmouth, Ohio; thence down the Ohio River, and up the Mississippi and Illinois rivers to Beardstown, Illinois; thence by ox-team and horse-team to Knox Township. The Huggins family was the seventh that settled in Knoxville.
Mr. C. H. Huggins obtained his education in Knoxville, and learned the carpenter’s trade with his half-brother, Edson. He followed that occupation five years; and then, for four years, very successfully operated a saw mill on Court Creek; he afterwards purchased a farm in Persifer Township, on which he worked till 1862. He married in Galesburg, Illinois, April 5, 1849, to Elizabeth J., daughter of Samuel B. Anderson, an old settler in Knox Township. Mr. and Mrs. Huggins have had no children, but they brought up ten, two of whom they adopted; Alpha B., wife of Dr. L.A. Burr; and Hubbard Huggins, who was the son of James Anderson; one of the ten children reared by them was Cora E. Anderson, daughter of Mrs. Huggins’s youngest brother.
In April, 1862, Mr. and Mrs. Huggins started across the western plains with a team of horses, in a large company that, part of the way, had nine hundred wagons. Their special company had fifteen wagons, Anthony Colwell being its Captain; Edson Huggins, brother of Charles H. was also a member of the company; they arrived in Oregon in October. Mr. Huggins farmed a year near Salem, Oregon, and then removed to Boise City, Idaho, where he kept the Idaho Hotel for three years, afterwards conduction a dairy in which he had fifty cows. He made 6,000 pounds of butter, which was sold for one dollar and a quarter a pound in gold, when greenbacks were worth only fifty cents on the dollar. He carried a cooking stove into Boise City on horseback. He and his partner, George Russell, bought sixty pack horses in Salem, Oregon, and, loading them with provisions, went through to Boise City. Mr. Huggins managed the hotel while Mr. Russell “packed” back and forth between Boise City and Umatilla, on the Columbia River. The usual cost of packing goods on that line into Boise City was twenty-five cents a pound, and the price of provisions was something remarkable; live hogs brought a dollar a pound, and chickens, large or small, a dollar a piece. They had eighty regular boarders at the hotel, and were prepared for as many “transients”, who paid a dollar for lodging, and furnished their own bedding. They finally sold out and went to San Francisco, where they took passage for New York City, via Panama. They started from Boise City, January 1, 1867, traveled three hundred miles by stage, then by water to New York, reaching Knoxville, Illinois, February 19.
After returned from Idaho, Mr. Huggins conducted a general store in Gilson, Haw Creek Township, for four years, when he sold out and turned his attention to farming. For his place of residence, he located in Haw Creek Township on the old homestead of Samuel B. Anderson, his wife’s father, where he has a farm of two hundred and seventy-seven acres of choice land.
These are the 1899 Encyclopedia Link Bar are all typed by "Kathy Mills"
and then emailed to me for processing
Thanks so Much "Kathy".......