Have a Great day.... & Happy Gene Hunting
... Echoes from the pas .....
the above is a link bar to help you
better navigate this site
Isaac N. West, deceased, formerly a prosperous and progressive farmer and identified with the growth of Knox County, was born in Clinton County, Ohio, Oct. 17, 1835, and was the third son of John and Elizabeth (George) West. He was but ten years of age when he removed to Knox County with his parents. He had spent some time previous on the farm and in the pioneer schools, and continued to assist his father, making his home under the parental roof, up to the date of his marriage. At this time he started for himself, buying a tract of land on section 2, in Salem Township. The land had been broken and fenced, but there were no buildings upon it at the time. He at once set to work and erected a frame house, and immediately began further improvements. He was industrious, thrifty and prudent, and these characteristics, united with good judgment, assisted him toward success. His death occurred Dec. 22, 1883, at which time he was the owner of 400 acres of land, all improved and considered very valuable. Besides this he had erected a brick house and a large frame barn, and set out shade trees and adorned his yards with all the comforts of a modern home.
Mr. West was twice married, his first wife being Charlotte Hull, and his second Eliza A. Mason, of Ohio. The latter was born in Stark County, Ohio and is the daughter of Jeremiah and Eliza (Sayler) Mason, and her marriage with Mr. West took place April 21, 1864. Nine children were born of this union—Josephine, Charles, Owen, Nora, Marion, Eddie C., Edith and three who died in infancy. There was but one child by the first marriage, name Lottie, who is the wife of Frank Chamberlain, a resident of Salem Township; they have two children. Source: Portrait and Biographical Album p. 662
Stephen Wyman, one of the principal citizens and valued men of Knox County, whose home is situated on section 20, Persifer Township, and who is identified somewhat with its growth, as he became an inmate in 1853, came to this county from Vinton County, Ohio, when he was in his 19th year, and is the subject of this biography. He lived at home with his parents until he was 21 years old, when he purchased the farm whereon he has since resided. He is now the owner of 372 acres of land, and has built himself a good set of buildings, commodious and convenient, desirable in the extreme.
He was married first in Jefferson County, Ind., to Catherine Miner, in 1856. She has borne him eight children, as follows: Richard V., Francis M., Electa A., Thomas J., Annis, George A., Sanford and Viola. Mrs. Wyman died June 8, 1868, in Persifer Township; Viola is also deceased. Mr. Wyman was remarried in Knoxville, to Emma F. Rambo. The father was of French and the mother of German origin. Mrs. W. was the youngest of a family of 12 children. The father died in 1883, and the mother in 1864. Two of the brothers of Mrs. Wyman were in the War of Rebellion. Their names were George and John. George was killed at the battle of Lookout Mountain; John served during the war and was honorable discharged. Mr. Rambo was one of the first to cross the plains in the year 1849, in search of gold. By this marriage Mr. And Mrs. Wyman have five children, to wit: Jasper N., Walter S., Ira, Hattie L. and Lewis S. Richard resides in Persifer Township; Electa is the wife of Cornelius Ward, and her home is in Knox County; Thomas is in Persifer Township; Annis is the wife of Chester Morey, and has a home in Washington Territory, and Sanford is in Iowa.
Two of the brother of Mr. Wyman, Levi and Arthur, were in the Civil War. Levi was in a Missouri regiment; Arthur enlisted in a Knoxville company. Both the brothers, after passing through many battles, died from sickness contracted from hardships endured in the service. Arthur was taken prisoner, was paroled and went into the service the second time.
Mr. W. is quite prominent in local affairs, has been School Director for some time, and is a Republican politically. His parents were Arthur and Anna (Soltz) Wyman. They came to Knox County in 1853, and settled in Persifer Township, where they died—the father May 18, 1875, and the mother in January, 1884. Mr. Wyman is a useful man in the community, and is an example of native worth, strength of character and genuine ability. Source: Portrait and Biographical Album p. 662
James S. Latimer. The subject of this sketch is a prominent farmer, Short-horn breeder and stock shipper of this county, having his location in Cedar Township, on section 21. He was born in the township in which he now lives, Nov. 27, 1836, and is the son of Alexander and Eunice (Guthrie) Latimer. He was reared upon the farm and received his education in the district schools of his neighborhood. His opportunities were limited to three months’ attendance in the winter season. This, however, was further supplemented by one year’s attendance at the Academy at Cherry Grove. He remained at home until 1854, when he married and then rented land for one year, after which he determined to go to the Northwest. He accordingly loaded up his household effects in a wagon, and with an ox team started for Faribault County, Minn., where he preempted 160 Acres of land, built a cabin and remained for ten years. When he first settled there his nearest neighbors were five miles away. He was in the midst of the Indians, who afterward became hostile and committed depredations of the most atrocious kind. The Spirit Lake and New Ulm massacres will long be remembered by the settlers of the Northwest. During the Indian troubles Mr. Latimer volunteered and assisted in the subduing the hostiles.
In 1867, Mr. Latimer returned to Knox County, and purchased the farm where he now resides. He is the owner of 250 acres where he lives, and 500 in Mercer County, Ill. About ten years ago he embarked in the breeding of Short-horn cattle, and in this department is recognized as being among the leading breeders in the State. Since engaging in the business he has shipped over 8,000 head to the Southwestern and Northwestern States and Territories. His cattle are more extensively known than those of any other breeder in the West. He also has been an extensive shipper of fat stock to Chicago and other markets.
In 1854, Mr. Latimer was united in marriage to Miss Sarah A. Beard, the ceremony being performed by Rev. J. P. Roach. Mrs. Latimer was born in Sumner County, Tenn., June 17, 1834, and is the daughter of Joseph and Larena (Neal) Beard, natives of Tennessee. Mr. Beard was born Nov. 16, 1802, and died Sept. 5, 1864; his wife, the mother of Mrs. Latimer, was born Nov. 17, 1804. Her marriage took place Nov. 17, 1825. She died Oct.2, 1838, leaving seven children, viz.: William, David, James W., Samuel H., Sarah A, John S. and E. J. Beard. After the death of his wife Mr. Beard contracted a second marriage with Miss Hannah Sloan, the date of which was Feb. 22, 1842. By the latter union there were three children, viz.; Nancy L., Margaret and Hezekiah G. By the union of James S. and Sarah A Latimer, there are six children—Ida E., born Sept. 2, 1855, and the wife of W. B. Dunlap, an extensive farmer of Chestnut Township; Ellura, born April 28, 1857, died Feb. 18, 1862; Walter, born April 24, 1859, married Miss Jessie Brook and resides at Garnett, Kan.; William A., born July 23, 1861, married Miss Annie Dunlap; he is at present Cashier in the First National Bank of Abingdon; Orion, born Nov. 23, 1863, and Washington D., Born Feb. 22, 1866, are yet under the parental roof. Source: Portrait and Biographical Album p.663
Alexander Latimer. Civil War Vet. The subject of this sketch, formerly a pioneer of Knox County, was born in Tennessee, Sept. 7, 1807. He is a son of Elder Joseph Latimer, born in New London, Conn., in 1766, and grandson of Col. Latimer of Revolutionary fame. The Latimer family are descended from English stock. They originally settled in Connecticut at a period long before the Revolutionary War. The grandfather of Alexander, and great-grandfather of the present family of Latimers in Knox County, was a Colonel in the War for Independence, and his 12 sons served under him.
The Latimer family removed to the Territory of Tennessee, in 1790, where Alexander was born, as above stated. In 1828 he married Miss Eunice Guthrie, a native of Robinson County, Tenn.: she was born in 1808 and departed this life in 1842. Soon after his marriage Alexander removed to Illinois and stopped in Sangamon County. The Black Hawk War was in progress at this time, and he joined the forces under Col. G. G. Latimer, and continued in the service until the Indians were driven across the river. Soon after the settlement of the Indian difficulty he was joined by his wife and they came to this county in 1834, locating in Indian Point Township, and two years later settled on section 21, Cedar Township. In 1851 he engaged in mercantile pursuits in the village of Abingdon, in which he continued for a number of years. In 1860 he removed to Minnesota, and there engaged in agricultural pursuits, and is still a resident of that State.
By the union of our subject and Eunice Guthrie there were six children born. The following is the record: Elizabeth, born in 1834, died in 1842; Wm. G. is a resident of Washington Ter.; Mary Louisa is the wife of Henderson Ritchie, a native of Henderson County, this State, and the first white child born in that county; he now resides in Council Grove, Kan.; James S. is a resident of Knox County; Robert A. and Joseph M. died in infancy. After the death of his first wife Mr. Latimer married Miss Julia Hart, a native of Indiana. She died in 1850, leaving four children, whose record is as follows: Washington K., Pleasant H.; Sarah J., wife of John W Dawdy, and Cora A., wife of C. M. Phipps, a resident of Minnesota. In 1852 Mr. Latimer contracted a third marriage, Miss Sarah Chesney, a native of Indiana, becoming his wife. By this union there are five children, named as follows: Narcissa L., who is a teacher in the High School of Seattle, Washington Ter.; Alice, who occupies a similar position in Minnesota; Harriet E., wife of Charles Stephens, a farmer and resident of this county; Clara C., a teacher in Minnesota; Emma C., wife of Charles B. Reynolds, telegrapher, Lanesboro, Minn.
As intimated before, the Latimers came from a patriotic race. During the late war all the sons of Alexander Latimer were in the service. William G. enlisted in Co. G., 83rd Ill. Vol. Inf., and upon the organization of the company was elected Second Lieutenant. He was soon after promoted to First Lieutenant and then to Brigade Inspector, and served in that capacity until the close of the war. After his three years’ enlistment had expired he veteranized. He distinguished himself at the battle and capture of Fort Donelson, and the sword he captured there from a confederate officer still remains in his possession as a trophy of his prowess. Washington K. was a private in Co. K, 9th Reg. Minn. Vol. Inf. He was in the command under Gen. Sturgis, in his ill-fated expedition and disaster in 1863, and was captured, taken to Andersonville, and there died. Portrait and Biographical Album p. 673
Samuel G. Jarvis is of more than ordinary reputation as a farmer, and is a resident on section 8, Victoria Township. He was born Dec. 5, 1828, in Suffolk County, Long Island and is the son of Jonas and Mary A (Gould) Jarvis, also natives of Long Island, where the father died when our subject was a lad of six years. The mother still survives and came to Illinois in 1865, and one year later to Knox County. At Victoria village, in 1869, the mother of our subject was again married, this time to Moses Robinson.
Samuel G. is the only surviving member of his parents’ family of four children. He remained at home until 16 years of age, when he went to live with an uncle, remaining with him for two years. Subsequently he learned the carpenter’s trade in New York City, followed the same in New York State until 1855, the date of his removal to Illinois and to Knox County. Here he followed the same business until his enlistment in October 1862, in the 9th Ill. Cav., and was in the service until October of the following year. He was on detached service most of the time, but being confined in the hospital at Keokuk, Iowa, for six months, from August 1862, until July 1863. Returning to Illinois, he re-engaged at his trade, which he followed until 1870. At Galva he embarked in the retail grocery business, which he carried on for seven years, at which time he lost his entire stock by fire. Subsequent to that disaster he was chosen Marshal of the city of Galva for one year. He then settled in Victoria Township, where he purchased the place where he at present resides and which contains 160 acres. Mr. Jarvis has a finely improved farm and is chiefly interested in raising grain. He values his land at $50 per acre.
Miss Mary E. Dean was the maiden name of the wife of our subject, to whom he was married in 1857. She is a daughter of David D. and Mary A. (Smith) Dean, natives of the Empire State. Her father died the year of their removal to Ohio (1837). Her mother was again married to a gentleman by the name of Nathaniel Marshal. After marriage Mr. and Mrs. M. removed to Winnebago County, Ill., and thence, in 1853, to Knox County. They resided in Victoria until their deaths, in 1868 and 1867 respectively.
Mr. and Mrs. Jarvis are the parents of tree children—Fannie, Jennie and Hattie. Our subject is a prominent member of the Masonic fraternity, which he joined in 1865, at Altona, and afterward affiliated with the lodge at Galva, in 1869, and in which he was Worshipful Master for four years, then demitted and in March 1871, connected himself with the Altona Lodge. In January 1883, he was elected Worshipful Master of Altona Lodge, and in July, 1874, took capitular degrees in Kewanee Chapter. In 1883 he was created Knight Templar in Galesburg Commandery, No. 8. He is also a member of the G. A. R. Mr. J. votes for the Republican ticket, and together with his wife and daughter, Fannie, attends worship at the Methodist Episcopal Church. Our subject has served his community in the capacity of School Director.
Oliver Norval Noteworthy among the substantial citizens and men of industry of Fulton County, and who is identified with it as one active in all enterprises calculated to advance and benefit the county, is the subject of this notice. He is engaged in the occupation of a farmer and largely interested in the growing and breeding of stock, Short-horn cattle being among the better grades. His present homestead s on section 1, in Young Hickory Township, and its attractive and pleasant appearance indicates that good fortune has smiled upon his efforts.
Oliver Norval was born in North Carolina, Feb. 26, 1807, and came to Illinois April 26, 1836, locating in Knox County. There he remained for one year, then moved across the line to Fulton County, his present home. His marriage, which was celebrated with Miss Pollie Dunn, a native of North Carolina, Feb. 15, 1829, was blest with seven children, as follows: Charity, Betsy A., James H., John H., Cornelius, Drusilla, and Oliver, who died in infancy. Mrs. Norval was born in 1809, and died May 29, 1842, in early womanhood, departing this life at the early age of 3e.
His second matrimonial connection was with Mary J. Sampson, a native of Maryland, and was celebrated Feb. 29, 1844. She came with her parents to Illinois in 1835, at the age of 11, the date of her birth being Nov. 14, 1824. She was the oldest child of her father’s family, consisting of 11, one of whom died in infancy. The children of Mrs. Norval bear the following names: Samuel, born June 14, 1845; Theophilus, Aug. 26, 1847; Richard S., Oct. 18, 1849; William O., Sept. 15, 1851; Mary J. and Joseph (twins) April 15 1857; Jesse C., July 21, 1859; Rebecca, April 10, 1861; Haney, May 2 1862; Julia A., May 2, 1864; and Margaret E., Sept. 5, 1866. Those deceased are Samuel, Rebecca, Joseph, Haney and Julia A.
Mrs. Norval is of English ancestry, and her husband is of Scotch lineage. He has been prospered in his worldly undertakings and is at the present time in possession of 385 acres of land, all of which is in a high state of cultivation, well improved and valuable. He owns a herd of 40 head of Short-horn cattle, his favorite breed of stock. He has given undivided attention to their improvement and has continued in that branch of industry for a period of 25 years. He bought his first male of Peter Godfrey, of Knox County, which is a handsome and valuable animal.Mr. Norval and family are active workers in every good cause and are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church, adopting veritable the “good old religion.” They are warm admirers of the doctrines of faith as held up to the people by the old pioneer minister of the time, Richard Haney, of Monmouth, Mr. Norval being baptized by him, together with five of his children. He is a man who figures actively in church work, has been Class Leader for about 40 years and also Steward in the church to which he belongs. He always speaks when moved by that emotion, which bids him honor the Mater to whom he has rendered loving allegiance an entire lifetime, and his efforts, are always for good. In politics he is a stanch Republican, and is true to his principles as strongly in the minor duties of life as in the greater ones. He is the grandfather of 27 children and has three great-grandchildren. William, one of the sons, is a minister of the Methodist Episcopal denomination, his labors being in the State of Nebraska; Theophilus, another son, is District Judge in the same State. Richard is counselor at law, and Benjamin F. follows the same profession. They graduated at Ann Arbor, Mich., and have shown themselves worthy of both the father a mother they honor by those attributes, which constitute nobility of soul and true manhood. They have proven that “a dutiful son is a crown to his father.” The father of Oliver Norval, by name Theophilus, and his grandfather Solomon Norval, were born in Scotland.
More Biographies typed by
Kindred Trails™ Worldwide
Wednesday, February 01, 2006 10:57:48 PM updated