Obituaries of people who lived & died in Knox County, IL

I want to make a note here of some information I have found that is useful when researching for obituaries in Newspapers.  Not always were they printed, I've found.  When the newspapers first began, people had to pay to have their obituaries in the Newspaper.  I'm not sure when they cut off date for this was and they were just automatically put in with information from the families.  That is why sometimes you don't find a lot of information on your ancestor.  Now a days they put in a whole lot more. 

Foxie's Knox Hme Cemeteries Newspaper Index Obits 1 Obits 2 Obits 3 Old Newspapers

Link bar to help you navigate my web site faster and easier without always having to return to the Index page for links. Just click on the place you want to go and it will take you there..... Happy Days are here again.....

I've tried to sort the years out so they are in order but might not be. I have been getting quite a collection of copies of old newspapers by doing look ups for others.  I can't seem to just look up the one person I sometimes get lost or see something that interests me and copy it.  There are also many interesting stories in the Newspaper section, Weddings, births, marriages, adds, local, personal, it is fun to read and enjoyable to type up.  I find it more interesting than today's newspapers.  You can also read the latest News and Obituaries at the

Galesburg Register-Mail which is online.  Just click on the link to your left.  It takes you straight to the Obit page with links to other pages on the paper.  Thanks.

Read on.....

Knox County Republican, Wednesday, 1878

Died: In this city on Monday, March 25th, 1878, Peter Bell, in the 52d year of his age. Deceased had been a resident of this place since the close of the war, but for sometime has been in ill health.

Knox County Republican, Wednesday, October 4, 1893

Gilbert G. Weeks was born in Duchess county, N. Y., March 23, 1800, and died at Knoxville, Illinois, October 1, 1893.

On December 24, 1833, he was united in marriage with Miss Cornelia M. Miller, of Orange County, N. Y. In December, 1883, Mr. and Mrs. Weeks celebrated the fiftieth anniversary of their marriage. Mrs. Weeks departed this life in February, 1888, in the 81st year of her age.

The children who live to cherish the memory of this beloved couple now gone to their eternal home, are Mrs. Sarah E. Burdett and Mrs. Cornelia Ewing, of El Dorado, Kansas.; George M. Weeks, of Lincoln, Neb.; and Charles M. Weeks, of this city.

In 1855 Mr. Weeks came to Illinois and settled at Knoxville, where he resided until his death. Until well advanced in years, Mr. Weeks was an active worker in the Sunday school, the temperance cause and every movement made for the moral advantage of society and the good of men. For over sixty years he was an officer in the church. He was first a ruling elder in the Goodwill Presbyterian church in the state of New York, where his early home was. At Flushing, Long Island, he was a member of the Classes of the Dutch Reform church. For a while he was a deacon in the Congregational Church. After coming west he was elected an elder in the New School Presbyterian church, and since the Presbyterian churches of Knoxville were united, he has continued to hold the same office. His official relations to the church so frequently renewed and of so long standing is a memorial of his character as a Christian. Not only was he a man of good report in the church but in the community at large. From every hand comes the testimony of the high esteem in which he was held by those who knew him well in social and business relations.

He had a cheery air and uniformly met all classes, old and young, familiar friends or strangers in a most cordial, pleasant manner. Thus he always made others feel comfortable in his company and won their esteem for himself. The wise man says "A merry heart doth good like a medicine."

Knox County Republican; Wednesday, September 5, 1894

James Sumner Killed by the Cars

Mr. James Sumner of Orange township, and for many years a resident of the county, lost his life last Saturday morning, at the fairgrounds crossing. He was a member of the Knox County Agricultural Board, and had been at the grounds attending to some of the work of the fair, and while crossing the track was struck by the morning passenger train and instantly killed, his neck being broken and his skull crushed.

A jury was empanelled by Coroner Aldrich. After viewing the remains, an adjournment was had until Monday morning, when the following verdict was rendered:
We, the undersigned jurors, sworn to inquire into the death of James Sumner, deceased, do say that the said James Sumner came to his death by being struck by Peoria passenger train No. 2, of the C.B.&Q. R.R. Co., on the morning of Sept. 1st, 1894, in such a manner, by us unknown, as to cause instant death.
Dr. W.R. McLaren, Foreman,
E. Sherman,
A. C. Dempsey,
William Tate,
S. M. Turner,
Harvey J. Butts.

James H. Sumner was born in Highland County, Ohio, Nov. 28th, 1814, Emigrated to Illinois in the fall of 1837, and settled in Canton, Fulton County. In the spring of 1838 he moved to Knox County, near where Gilson now is, and has ever since resided in that vicinity, until death. May 12th, 1847 he was united in marriage to Rachel Epperson, and departed this life Sept. 1st, 1894, aged 79years, 9 months, and 3 days, and leaves to mourn his sudden and cruel death, one brother, Thomas W. Sumner, two sisters, Mrs. Peter Godfrey and Mrs. Richard Maxey, two sons, Thomas and Carry Sumner, and one daughter, Mrs. Lewis McCoy, besides hosts of friends and neighbors to mourn his death, as he was a friend to the needy, a helper to those who were in want, a faithful, loving husband, a kind father, and respected by all who knew him. The funeral was held at his late residence, conducted by Rev. N. G. Clark, and attended by a large concourse of people, and his body laid to rest beside his wife near Maquon. (both are buried in Walter Cemetery)

Knox County Republican, Knoxville, Illinois, Thursday, January 9, 1919
James Woolsey, Atlantic, Iowa, died at that place on January 5, age 80 years from senility. The deceased was a brother of Mrs. Wm. Meacham and Mrs. S. H. Crump of this city. Mr. Woolsey formerly resided in Knoxville and has many acquaintances in this section.

High School Boy Dies From Pneumonia
Knox County Republican, Knoxville, Illinois, Thursday, January 9, 1919

Howard Wilson, age 14, son of Mr. and Mrs. Chas Wilson, of this city died at his home Monday afternoon from pneumonia. Young Wilson, together with his parents, ate New Year’s dinner with his uncle, H. L. Wilson and family and developed pneumonia the following day.

The deceased was a member of the Freshman class of the local high school and was regarded by all as an industrious, conscientious boy. He was a member of the Presbyterian Sunday school.

Surviving are his parents, brothers Frank and Philip, sister, Francis.

Funeral services were held from the Presbyterian Church at 2:30 this afternoon, conducted by Rev. Ilsley, the pastor. Interment is in the Knoxville cemetery.

Obituary of Mrs. Elizabeth Housh
Galesburg Daily, August 29, 1901

Mrs. Elizabeth Housh died at the home of her daughter, Mrs. E. Benfield, in Abingdon Aug. 20. About three years ago Mrs. Housh was stricken with paralysis, and never fully recovered. Saturday last she had a second stroke, and died Tuesday evening. The remains were taken to Maquon, and the funeral services were held in the Methodist church.

Mr. Wolf, a Christian Scientist of Monmouth, officiated. The music furnished by Misses Walker and Norris and Mrs. C. S. Burnside and Miss Kate Clark, was unusually fine. The attendance was the largest seen in Maquon in recent years. The interment was in the family lot in the Maquon cemetery.

Elizabeth Thornbough was born in Ohio March 3, 1810. She was married to David Housh at Greencastle, Ind., March 1, 1826. They came to Knox county in 1836, and located on a farm near Maquon, where they resided at the time of her husband's death in March, 1879.

Mrs. Housh was the mother of thirteen children, one having died in infancy and twelve living to maturity, of whom five survive her: Andrew C. of Maquon, Daniel M. of Galesburg, Mrs. Elizabeth Benfield of Abingdon, Mrs. Dr. Southard of Perry, Oklahoma Territory, and Mrs. Rebecca Phillips of Colony, Kan. There are 121 descendants of Mr. and Mrs. Housh. Five children are living, forty three grandchildren, sixty nine great grandchildren and four great great grandchildren, making five generations, a remarkable family record. In addition to their own children they raised seven orphan or homeless children.

Mrs. Housh devoted her long life to the care and protection of others. For many years the home of David Housh and wife was known in this part of the state for its hospitality. As to the life of Mrs. Housh, it can truthfully be said: "Well done, thou good and faithful servant."

The Enterprise-Herald, Abingdon, Friday, July 28, 1899

Joseph A. Wilbur was born in Seneca, N.Y., January 25, 1820, and died on Thursday, July 20, 1899, at Abingdon, Ill., aged 79 years, 5 months and 25 days. In 1842 he was married to Miss Jane Haisington, and immediately moved to Michigan and settled at Clarence, Calhoun County, where he continued to live until the death of his wife, in 1894, when he went to live in Marshall, Michigan.

Last October Mr. Wilbur started out on a round of the visitation among his children and grandchildren. On reaching Abingdon, it became evident to his daughter, Mrs. O. A, Witwam, that he could not safely go to Nebraska alone, where lived a son and two grandchildren, so his son-in-law, Prof. Witwam, accompanied him. On his return he was taken down at the home of Mrs. Witwam, and it soon became evident that his work was nearly done. For nine months he lingered on the border land, at times a great sufferer, but always patient, and ever and anon even full of his all-time joviality. Always of a cheerful disposition it seemed as though sickness had no power to break down his spirit. Some 45 years ago he joined the free Will Baptist Church and remained a consistent member of the church until his death. If Mr. Wilbur ever had an enemy his friends never knew it. He was universally loved and respected wherever he went. For nearly 60 years he voted in the same precinct. He was an intense abolitionist, and always deeply interested in every reform. The blood of the sturdy old New England Puritans ran in his veins, and he possessed their spirit of no compromise with wrong.

He leaves two sons and one daughter to look forward to a happy reunion by and by--Morrison Wilbur, of Grand Island, Neb.; George E. Wilbur, of Marshall, Mich., and Mrs. O. A. Witwam, of Abingdon. One daughter Mrs. Hulda Gates, preceded him to the other side some 12 years ago.

Brief services were held here Saturday afternoon, conducted by Dr. Buckey, and that night remains were sent to Marshall, Mich., accompanied by Professor Witwam, where the final funeral rites and interment occurred.

Galesburg Weekly Mail, October 25, 1900

Maquon - Death has come again into our midst and claimed another soul who has traveled life's uneven path 76 years, in the form of Mrs. Nancy Wilkin, beloved wife of James Wilkin. For 58 years this couple had lived together in peace and contentment, sharing the sorrows and joys of the world alike. Mrs. Wilkins had been in ailing health for some time, and death relieved her of her great suffering Sunday evening, October 21. The funeral services were held at the house Tuesday afternoon, conducted by Rev. N. G. Clark, after which the remains were interred in the Simkins Cemetery. There survive her, her aged husband and two sons, John F. of London Mills and Lycurgus of this place.

Infant of Chauncey D. Woolsey
Galesburg Weekly Mail, October 25, 1900
Maquon -
The infant child of Mr. and Mrs. Chauncey D. Woolsey died at the home of it's parents, west of Maquon, Monday, October 22, aged six weeks. Mr. Woolsey was in LaPorte, Texas, and the funeral service will not be held until his return, which is expected today.

March 24, 1900 Republican Register-- Death of Daniel Mosher

Daniel Mosher a telegram regarding whose death at Denver, Colo., was received here Wednesday, was the son of David Mosher, Sr. of West Main street, and  a brother of Mrs. E. A. Hanna, Mrs. J. A. Black and David Mosher, Jr. of Galesburg. He will be remembered by many of the older residents and by the many old soldiers. His death occurred at 8 o'clock Wednesday morning and was due to a stroke of paralysis last Sunday. Word of this stroke was sent to the relatives here. Mr. Mosher's illness can be t4raced to serious wound that he received on the battlefield of Shilho. After his injury he laid upon the field until he nearly died from loss of blood. The wound was to his right knee cap and yearly was source of great pain to him. fifteen years ago ago it became necessary to amputate the leg but the poison that had permeated his system from the wound is thought to have been the cause undermining his health and finally bringing about his death.

Mr. Mosher was 59 years old. He was a native of New York State. When he was a child he came west with his parents . He grew to manhood in Coldbrook township, Warren County, Illinois where the family settled. When the Civil War broke out he joined Company F Fifty-Fifth Illinois regiment, and served until wounded, when his father had him brought home. He did not return to the army. His brothers, David and timothy also participate din the war. Mrs. Mosher was married to Miss Louisa Bruner. They went west and for sometime were at Homestown, Iowa. Twenty years ago they settled in Denver, where Mr. Mosher has practiced law. The following relatives survive Mr. Mosher. His wife two sons, Wilford and Worthington, and his daughter, Mrs. Ed Reed, of Denver; his father no 87 years old and still active, his step-mother; his sisters, Mrs. Gardner of Newborn, Iowa; Mrs. Mead of Osmbria, Iowa; Mrs. J. A. Black and Mrs. E. A. Hanna, Galesburg; his brothers John and Will of Randolph, Nve. Timothy of Omaha; Curtis of Iowa, and David, Jr. of Galesburg. Mrs. Mead arrived here Wednesday night.

Death of Jefferson Dawdy.

Jefferson Dawdy, one of the oldest residents of the county, died Monday at his home near Abingdon, age  88 years. He has been a resident of Knox county since 1832 and came to join the rangers of the Black Hawk war.

Mr. Dawdy was born in Hart county, Ky., January 29, 1812, and was the one of the nine children of James and Margaret Morse Dawdy. They both died in Illinois, the father in 1851 and the mother in 1855. May 7, 1834, Mr. Dawdy was married to Miss Elizabeth Dawdy. Regarding Mr. Dawdy's  ancestors it can be said that Howell Dawdy, his grandfather was in the War of Rebellion.

Mr. Dawdy has a fine farm on section 17, Indian Point townshjip and broght it to a high state of cultivation. For a number of years he wa one of the best known of the county's breeders of Short Horn cattle. Mr. Dawdy was a member of the Christian chruch of Knoxville and was a helpful friend and kind neighbor.

his life has been one of honest effort.

He came the 400 miles from Kentucky here on horseback and had but$5 when he came. He started to work for John Strum and moved grass for 50 cents an acre, and perserveered until in 1847 he was able to possess himself of a farm. He was regarded with affection by the people of that section. A large family was born to Mr. and Mrs. Dawdy, and the circle of relatives surviving him is correspondingly large.

Grace Williams

Grace Anna, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. E. O. Williams died on last Saturday morning at the home of her parents on Fifth street, of the after effects of a severe attack of diphtheria.

She was the fourth of their children to ill with the disease. Kittie was the first one to show the symptoms. After she had recovered and the card had been taken down. The three other daughters---Mable, Lillian and Grace-came down with the disease. Grace was taken ill Sunday, February 25, while she was very seriously ill, she finally grew better and on Monday the diphtheretic symptoms passed away. She still appeared to improve and there were bright hopes that she would recover but on Thursday there appeared rhenmatic complicatious and she began sinking.

Grace was born September 14, 1889, and has always lived in Galeurg. She attended St. Mary's school and was a good pupil. She ws an amiable and birgh girl, who made many friends. Her death is a sever  blow to the family.

The survivors are the parents, the sisters Kittie, Mable and Lillian, and the brothers--Frank, George and John.

Galesburg Weekly Republican Register, January 7, 1899
WATAGA - The funeral services of Miss Emma Wood were held in the Congregational church at 10:30 a.m. Monday, January 2. Rev. Mr. Bedford, assisted by Rev. Mr. Smith, conducted the services. A large number of friends and relatives from Galesburg were present.
MAQUON - John Wolf who has been in and out of Maquon during the last fifteen years died Saturday of consumption. He was standing in the restaurant of Tom Longwell's when he was taken with a hemorrhages. He immediately left there and went to the drug store where he lived but a few moments. He had been very poorly all fall but kept up to the very last. The funeral services were held in the Methodist church Sunday afternoon conducted by Rev. D.T. Wilson The circumstances connected with his death were quite sad. The deceased had no relatives or near ones present to administer to his wants in his last days. However he had many friends who were kind to him, showed him kindly respect and gave him a nice Christian burial. The funeral services were largely attended.

Mrs. Aaron Wier
Galesburg Weekly Mail, July 14, 1904
The remains of Mrs. Aaron Wier, which were buried thirty years ago in the Cook grave yard, were exhumed this week and placed beside her husband in the Maquon cemetery.

Galesburg Gazette, May 27, 1904

Mrs. Genie West died at her home three or four miles west of Maquon, Saturday morning, May 21, 1904. She was the daughter of Mike Smith and wife of Ned Smith. She was the mother of three children, two daughters and a son, the older daughter preceded her mother to the better land about two years ago. The funeral service was held at the home Monday at 10 o'clock, conducted by Rev. J.T. McKillip. She was a consistent Christian woman and loved by very many warm friends. Her remains were laid to rest in the Simkins cemetery.

Galesburg's Weekly Republican Register, Saturday, March 26, 1881

The youngest child of Patrick Whalen died Sunday and was buried Monday afternoon. This is the second child he has buried within a week.

(Galesburg's Weekly Republican Register, Saturday, April 2, 1881
Death of Mrs. West: It is with feelings of the deepest sorrow we announce the death of Mrs. Catharine West, which occurred on Thursday afternoon between the hours of three and four o'clock. Mrs. West was the mother of Miss Mary Allen West, the Educational Editor of this paper, and for many years resided with her daughter, on the corner of Ferris and Academy streets. She was quite old and had been ill for some time, but nevertheless her death falls heavily upon the bereaved daughter and sons, as also upon the many sincere friends, won by a long and estimable life. The funeral will take place this morning at 10 o'clock, from her late residence.

Galesburg's Weekly Republican Register, Saturday, April 9, 1881

Died at her home in Galesburg, Ill., March 31st, 1881, Catharine Neely West, aged 80 years.

Mrs. West was the daughter of Capt. Abram Neely, an old Revolutionary soldier, and was born in Herkimer county, N. Y. August 27th, 1800, and here the first twenty-three years of her life were spent.

In 1824, while on a visit to her brother in Cayuga county, N. Y., she met and married Nehemiah West and their home as long as they remained in the East was in Cayuga county. In 1836, two families forming the advance guard of the Galesburg colony found their way to their new home and with this first detachment came Mr. and Mrs. West. The long prairie grass waved over the spot where Galesburg stands today and a faint wagon track, trailing away towards the northwest, was the only sign of human life. At Log City, in the edge of the grove, the colonists found their first home in Illinois.

The story of those first years of pioneer life with their trials and pleasures, has been told again and again. To one of whom society offered so many attractions as to Mrs. West, this life must have brought peculiar privations, but her social qualities shone all the brighter because of her surroundings and the fame of her unbounded hospitality extended near and far.

In the last days of her illness, her mind wandered back to those old and pleasant times, and she seemed to live almost as much with friends of the past as with those who ministered with loving care to weakness and age. She talked of the children who had played in her home, of the little ones whom the Heavenly Father had transferred to His own care. She looked forward with joy to seeing them and wondered how it would seem to have her babies with her once more.

The life, which reached its more than four-score years, was a happy one. Guarded through it all with the peculiar care and tenderness which falls on the lot of but few, age and bodily suffering did not abate her cheerfulness or the interest she felt in all things bright and good. For many years an invalid, her thoughts were constantly with the great world of workers outside. The home she shared with her daughter has long been the centre around which circled many and various philanthropic and benevolent enterprises and she was interested in every one. She entered heart and soul into the temperance movement and her thoughts were not confined to the local work, but she took the whole great cause into her heart and was particularly interested in the success of the "Signal".

She was progressive in her ideas. In the old days she helped many a poor slave on his way to freedom and she had always been deeply interested in every effort made for the advancement of her own sex. She thoroughly enjoyed the society of the young, and was a great reader to the end of her life.

An earnest Christian has been called to her Father's home. The familiar corner from which she spoke so many words of cheer and comfort, is vacant now forever. Her last days were full of great suffering, constantly struggling for breath. She sat for long days and nights in her chair, denied the rest of a recumbent position, but her patience was wonderful. Never a murmur came from her lips, and her only care seemed for those around her. She knew that her pilgrimage was almost ended, and her talk was constantly of the home to which she was drawing so near, and where, for thirty-four years, the husband of her youth had been awaiting her.

Of her children, five had gone before, and three-- Byron, and Carlton West, of Oneida, and Mary Allen West, of Galesburg, are left. So, one by one, the fathers and mothers of Galesburg are fast passing away. The circle of old settlers is growing smaller year by year. Mrs. West is the last of the heads of families who came with the first detachment of the colony.

Her loss is mourned by a large circle of relatives, and a much larger circle of neighbors and friends unite with children, grand-children and immediate kinfolks, in their sorrow.

Galesburg's Weekly Republican Register, April, 1881
Mrs. D. Wilson, living one mile north of Altona, died last Monday, and was buried Wednesday, aged 80 years. Her husband died about a year ago. They have been living at that place nearly a quarter of a century.

     Died at his residence in this city, of rheumatism, on the 15th day of April, 1881, Thomas J. Armstrong, in the 34th year of his age.
     Deceased recently moved to this city to reside, from Ontario township.  A wife and three little ones survive him.  The remains were taken to Wataga for burial.

Mr. Isaac Woolsey
, living near Spoon River, in Persifer Township, died of consumption last Sunday night at 10 o'clock. He was a cousin of E. W. Woolsey.

Saturday, May 14, 1881

Mr. Isaac Wetmore, of Ontario, an old resident of the county, died Thursday evening at 6 o'clock.

The little child of Mr. and Mrs. John Weiss, of this city died Wednesday of inflammation of the brain.

Sat., October 15, 1887
Mr. James Walters died at his home on the Knoxville Road early Wednesday morning, after an illness lasting several weeks, of dropsy. He was well known and highly respected colored man. He leaves a wife and one daughter. He was a member of the A. M. E. church and of the Good Samaritan Lodge.

Sat., November 12, 1887

Mrs. Matilda Westfall, a well-known colored lady, died at her home, 324 West Brooks street, at half-past ten o'clock Sunday forenoon, aged 76 years. She had been sinking for some time. She was the only one of her family surviving. She has been for many years a member of the First Congregational church, and was an earnest, consistent Christian. She was highly thought of by all who knew her. The funeral services were held at her late home on Monday, and were conducted by the Rev. J. W. Bradshaw. For several years the church has provided for her.

Galesburg's Evening Mail, March 13, 1922
Funeral services for the infant son of Mr. and Mrs. N. J. Wilkins of East Galesburg were held Sunday morning at 10 o'clock. Burial was in Linwood cemetery.

Galesburg's Weekly Republican-Register, March 24, 1888

Mrs. Mary A. Wetmore died at the residence of her son-in-law, Henry W. Crane, Ontario, Knox county, Illinois, Feb. 19, 1888.  Mrs. Mary A. Wetmore's maiden name was Wood. She was born at Rindge, N. H., Feb 21st, 1810, was married to Mr. Henry Stickney, June 2, 1837, who was at that time a grain merchant and a resident of Cambridge Port, Mass.; afterward a commission merchant in Boston. While residing in that vicinity, four children were born to them, viz., Henry, Alfred, Idalia, and William C. Idalia was thrown from a carriage and killed when about two years of age.

In the spring of 1853 Mr. Stickney brought his family to Woodhull, Henry county, Ill., where he had previously purchased a large tract of land and prepared a house. But the change from a refined and cultured Boston society to the lonely prairie, was very great. Few realize how great the sacrifice and only love for her family and hope that it would prove for their best good reconciled her to the change.

On November 16, 1866, she was bereaved by the sudden death of her husband, leaving her with large business interests which she and her sons managed with ability and wisdom.

On July 1st, 1869, she was married to Isaac M. Wetmore, of Ontario, Knox county, Ill. This proved a very happy union, as there had existed a strong friendship between the families ever since they came West. It was now increased by this relation, and the children found in her a loving mother, and in her daughter a dear sister. It is true of her that "her children arise up and call her blessed." She won the respect and esteem of all who knew her by her thoughtfulness of other's welfare, rather than her own ease and comfort. She took a deep interest in all Christian and church work. She was President of the Ladies' Home and Foreign Mission Society of the Baptist church from April 1875, to 1878. To this she gave time, work and money. They realize their great loss, and will long cherish her memory.

On April 25, 1881, she was again called to mourn the loss of her oldest son, Henry, who was taken in the prime of his manhood. Again on the 12th of May of the same year, death came and removed her beloved husband,  I. M. Wetmore. Since this time she has lived with and for her children - of late with Mrs. Carrie Crane - where after a brief sickness, she fell "asleep in Jesus", Feb. 19, 1888. Funeral services were held there at 10:30 a. m. Feb. 22d; also at the residence of her son Alfred, in Woodhull, at 2 o'clock of the same day. In her death a beautiful and noble life has ended on earth, but one begun in heaven. She was a woman of many excellent qualities and mind.

April 12, 1888
Yates City, Il
. - Mr. William Wren died at the residence of his brother-in-law, Theodore Cunningham, on Wednesday and was laid to rest in the Yates City cemetery Thursday afternoon.

Galesburg's Daily-Mail, Thursday, March 28, 1895

Mrs. Walker, mother of Mrs. W. Y. Fuld, died at the home of the latter, 7 Public Square, this morning after a long and painful illness. It was about two months ago she fell and dislocated her hip and since on the decline being aged 80 years. She was one of the oldest residents of this city, having come here fifty years ago. She was the wife of Timothy Walker, one of the first city marshals'. He died nearly 30 years ago. She was a member of the Baptist church. Funeral will be Saturday from the church.

Wednesday, October 2, 1895

J. H. Washington
(colored) died this morning at the home of Matt Searles, 313 West First, aged 70 years. He had been sick a long time with a complication of diseases. He had been a resident of this city for many years, and cook at the Depot dining hall. He was a member of the Masonic fraternity and members had charge of the funeral. One daughter survives him, his wife died several years ago.

Last Services Held Sunday

Impressive Funeral for the Late Richard Worthington at the Residence.
Galesburg's Daily Republican-Register, Mon. eve., June 27, 1910

The funeral services of the late Richard Worthington were held at the family residence, 1064 North Academy Street, at three p.m. Sunday. The house was filled with kindly, sympathizing friends. The casket was covered with beautiful floral offerings, many lovely bouquets were scattered about the room and surrounding the casket on the floor, proving the esteem in which the deceased was held by neighbors and friends. Rev. Moore of the A. M. E. church had charge of the services. He read appropriate scriptural selections, and pronounced a touching eulogy upon the merits and Christian life of the deceased, lauding him as a citizen and soldier, as a friend sincere in his friendships, having lived a life free from all harm, a credit to his race and the community.
A large squad of the comrades of Post 45 G. A. R. were present, and after the ritualistic services of the G. A. R. were rendered in the home, Commander C. E. Lanstrum officiating assisted by the comrades. "Asleep in Jesus," "Amazing Grace" and "No Night There" were rendered by Mrs. L. C. Carter, Mrs. Balder, L. C. Carter, Jr., and Harold Carter, with Mrs. S. Hazel as organist. The pall bearers were Jessie Hazel, George McAtee, James Raney, J. Johnson, W. Davis, and S. Harper, all members of Post 45.
From a distance were Mrs. Rhoda Shaw of Peoria, a sister of Mrs. Worthington, and Dr. A. L. Herron, of Milwaukee, an intimate friend of the deceased. [Mr. Worthington was buried in Hope Cemetery in Galesburg. See picture.]

Fatal Accident Near Laura
Feb. 11, 1909
Floyd Wasson Killed by the Overturning of a Load of Lumber

The communities of Laura and Monica were profoundly shocked last Saturday to learn of the accidental death of Floyd Wasson who was killed by the overturning of a load of lumber on a road near his home east of Laura. The scene of the accident is located about four miles east of Laura.
Floyd Wasson had gone to Monica for a load of lumber for a building which is being erected at his father's place. He left his team tied to a hitch rack in Monica and made a trip to Elmwood and return on the train. Citizens of Monica put his team in a livery barn and fed it while he was in Elmwood.

Upon his return to Monica he got his team and started home, first securing a lantern at Doug McDonnell's hardware store, as the night was very dark and misty. It was about eight o'clock p. m. when he left Monica and Clyde Smith rode with him for about two miles out of town, at which point, Mr. Smith's way home separated from that of Mr. Wasson's and they parted.

When Mr. Wasson reached the home of Mr. A. B. Miller he had broken the globe of his lantern and stopped at Miller's and borrowed a lantern. Mr. Miller stated that he was all right when he left there. From Miller's place Mr. Wasson continued his way home but nothing further is known of the happenings of the drive and the fatal accident except such meager and uncertain details as were indicated by circumstantial evidence.

At the corner where the choice of two roads was offered the poorest and most hilly was taken. Whether this was from choice or whether caused by the...[unreadable]. At the top of a hill it could be seen where the team pulled the load of lumber up a steep bank upon a high embankment running down the hill. A hard pull was required to get the loaded wagon up the bank. The wagon was driven directly
down this embankment which narrowed to a point at the bottom of the hill.

When the wagon reached a point where the embankment was not wide enough to hold the wheels the wagon overturned into a ditch by the side of the cut formed by the roadway. The wagon fell a distance of some nine or ten feet. The body of Mr. Wasson was sitting upright in the ditch. The load of lumber lying across him, having struck him about the height of the breast. The arm lay upon the bank and his head lay on his arm. Both legs and arms were free. Death is believed to have been instantaneous owing to the great height from which the lumber fell.
The wagon lay on top of the lumber upside down with the lumber still between the rear standards. The team was still hitched to the wagon and standing still when found some sixteen hours later. The lantern was found sitting upright in the road about 40 rods back of where the accident occurred.

The accident is supposed to have occurred about 10 o'clock Friday night and the body was not found until 3:30 Saturday afternoon. John Porter saw the team while passing the corner on another road about a quarter of a mile away but thought that it was merely someone who had stopped in the road for a moment. The body was found by the young man's uncle, John Bitner, and W. H. Bitner, who had been chopping wood within a short distance of the scene of the accident all day, unconscious of the terrible tragedy which lay so near them. It is said that the reason search was not made sooner was that the young man's father had told him if he could not get the kind of lumber wanted at Monica, to go on to Princeville for it, and it was supposed at the home that this was the cause of the delay.

The Bitners telephoned for help and the remains were removed to Samuel Wasson's, the boy's father. Floyd was twenty-one years old and was married about six weeks before the accident. Great sympathy is felt for the young wife who was almost killed by the shock and bereavement. The same is true of the lad's mother.  An inquest was held on Monday at the home and the verdict was death by accident. The jurors were Alex Barnes, foreman, John Porter, Pedro Hart, Henry DeBord, David Smith and Will Stewart. Funeral services and interment were on Tuesday.

Jan. 28, 1909

William Wilbur Dies Suddenly and Body is Found by Wife

      William Wilbur, a highly respected farmer, dropped dead last Thursday morning at his home on the Arthur Whittaker farm, about three miles south of Laura, where he had resided for sometime.
     Mr. Wilbur's death was very sudden and came apparently without previous warning, as he was not known to be ill at the time. He arose Thursday morning and went into the kitchen to build a fire and it appears dropped dead while thus engaged. His body was found by his wife a short time later but there were no signs of life remaining at that time.
     The funeral services were held on Saturday and the interment was in the Elmwood cemetery.

Galesburg's Dailey Register-Mail, Tuesday, Feb. 3, 1903

A Prominent Citizen of Persifer Township is Dead -- Was Long a Supervisor.

News was received here today of the death of Edward J. Wyman, Feb. 3, 1903], a prominent farmer in Persifer township and having an extensive acquaintance in the northland. Mr. Wyman was seventy years old. He was born in Vinton county, Ohio, January 10th, 1833, and was the son of Arthur and Anna Salts Wyman. The parents settled in Persifer township in 1853, where Mr. Wyman has since lived. He was married in 1858 to Susan E. Bradford. Mr. Wyman served as supervisor from this township for seven years, and at various times was constable, assessor, collector, and township treasurer. He was a member of the United Brethren church.
Galesburg's Republican, Jan. 7, 1904

John Wyman, one of the old and respected residents of Persifer Twp., died last Sunday [Jan. 3, 1904]. Last summer he met with an accident that produced a paralyzed shoulder and he began from that time to decline. He was aged 72 years and lived in the township for 50 or more years. He acquired a large property. He left a wife and six children. Funeral was held last Thursday afternoon in Maxey Chapel. Rev. Rist of Gilson in charge. Burial in Westfall Cemetery.

Galesburg Republican Register Thursday April 2, 1914 Rapatee

Peter Brown is quite bad off at this writing, with the chances against him. He is 88 years old, and a veteran of Civil War.

Galesburg Republican Register
Wednesday April 8, 1914

Peter Brown
Rapatee, Ill., April 8. - The telephone informed us on Saturday morning that Uncle Peter Brown had died on Friday night at his home northeast of Rapatee. This removes one who has lived in Maquon township for over four score years, he was brought here an infant and was in his 84th year. He married Martha Thurman who died nine years since. There remains living four children, Elias of Nebraska, Gilvey of Peoria, Mrs. Sylva Bridgewater, of Rapatee, and Irven of Middlegrove, grandchildren and great grand-children.
Peter was a veteran of the civil war. The funeral was held at the home on Monday morning and the interment in the Walter Cemetery west of Maquon. Walter Cemetery, Maquon Twp., Knox Co., IL


Galesburg Daily Republican Register; April 9, 1914

Howard Thurman and son Lora of Hermon put up a monument to the
graves of Elisha Thurman and wife in the Bennington Cemetery this week.
Bennington Cemetery, in Maquon Twp., is now referred to as Thurman Cemetery.

KNOX COUNTY REPUBLICAN, Knoxville, Illinois, Thursday January 18, 1923
E. R. Lacy Dies After Brief Illness

Enos R. Lacy, Knoxville merchant, dies at the Galesburg Cottage hospital, Saturday, January 13 at 7:45 p. m. from an abscess on the brain. Mr. Lacy’s illness was of short duration and assumed serious proportions on Thursday evening when the medical fraternity first expressed fear for his recovery. On Saturday morning he was removed to the hospital for an operation but it was deemed unwise to operate and he died the evening of the same day.

Enos L. Lacy was one of Knoxville’s most successful business men, entering the lumber business with his father and mastering the details of business afterward, succeeding his father in the ownership of the business.

Mr. Lacy expounded a philosophy of life that in its practice brought its own reward in prosperity and happiness. He often propounded the philosophy to the younger businessmen of the city that one must have friends to succeed. Mr. Lacy followed that principle of life until at the time of his death he was one of the best known and best liked men in the community.

In making friends, Mr. Lacy always coupled honesty and good fellowship together. His years of fair dealing with his large list of customers won his universal favor. His cordial disposition and meeting with a big smile stamped him as a "big man" that he was in every way.

In addition to his business life, he was essentially a community man. He took a deep interest in the things that affected the whole fabric of the community in which he lived. He evinced a deep interest in the church and schools. As a member of the Presbyterian Church he was an active worker in the several departments and his liberal support that he accorded the church was expressive of the importance that he attached to such an organization.

In the social life of the community, Mr. Lacy was a member of the Masonic fraternity, including the Illinois Council and the Commandery that later rank he joined last fall and which department played a conspicuous part in his funeral rites.

Mr. Lacy was a faithful member of the Community and Commercial clubs of this city and devoted much time to the constructive policies that both organizations espoused from time to time.

In the home Mr. Lacy was a man with just such a temperament that one might suspect, broad, sympathetic, and kind.

In the commercial field, aside from being the owner of the lumber yard he was a stockholder and director in the Knox County Sate Bank and had holdings several other institutions.

Mr. Lacy’s illness extended over a period of one week, but only four days of that time were spent away from his business. Early in the week, he suffered from a cold but continued to look after his business and paid little attention to the seriousness of the disease that was getting hold upon him. Thursday he was suffering from an abscess from the ear and at one time was much improved but only to develop more serious conditions that medical attention could not master.

Enos L. Lacy was the son of Peter and Lucinda Woodmansee Lacy and was born on July 24, 1873. His school days were spent in Knoxville schools, St. Alban’s and Lombard College at which place he laid the foundation for his life’s work.

In early manhood he was united in marriage to Miss Jessie Wilson and to them was born one son, Ralph, who died in 1916. Mrs. Lacy died in 1903 and on January 17, 1905, he was united in marriage to Miss Maud R. Smith, to this union two sons were born, one dying in infancy and the second, Malcomb, survives his father.

Surviving are his wife, son, Enos Malcom, two sisters, Mrs. Laura M. Elwain and Mrs. S. V. Hannan of Oneida, two brothers, G. L. and Chas. Lacy both of this city and several nephews and nieces.

In business life Mr. Lacy was at present identified with or had served in the following capacities:

Owner of Lacy Lumber Yard
Director of Knox County State Bank
Trustee of Presbyterian Church
Trustee of St. Mary’s School
Vice-President of Commercial Club
Director of Community Club
Former member of city council and board of education
Also has served in the capacity of Supervisor of this township

Funeral services were held from the residence on East Main Street at 2 o’clock. Tuesday afternoon to which hundreds of friends testified to their friendship by attending. At the service was in charge Rev. C. P. Blekking, pastor of the Presbyterian church, assisted by Dean F. L. Carrington of St. Mary’s school offered prayer.

The songs were "There is Sunshine on the Hill" and "Nearer My God to Thee". The profusion of flowers coming from neighbors, relatives, and friends spoke eloquently of the high esteem with which he was held.

Among the fraternal and civic organizations that sent wreaths were: Masonic fraternity, Presbyterian Church, Community and Commercial Clubs, and public schools.

The services at the grave were in charge of the Blue Lodge, with Dr. A. H. Harms reading the ritual.

The casket bearers were: F. E. Wilson, F. S. Wallich, Ira J. Lewis, John Lewis, Frank Hopkins and Geo Charles. Interment was made in the Knoxville Cemetery.

Rapatee, March 15
Miss Mary Catherine Woods
March, 1939

Funeral Services for Miss Mary Catherine Woods, 77, who died at her home here March 9, were held in the home Sunday afternoon.

Mary Catherine Woods, only daughter of Tobias and Mary Henderson Woods, was born May 23, 1861, in Allegheny county, Pennsylvania. She was the seventh child of a family of nine children, all having preceded her in death.

She came to Illinois with her parents and brothers in 1867, and settled on a farm near Maquon. In March 1892, they moved to Rapatee, where her brother took charge of the grain elevator.

From April 11, 1890:

"We are compelled to omit an obituary notice of Julia F. LIGHT, who died March 22, 1890, at Maquon, Ill. It will be published next week."

Page 4, column 4, April 18, 1890: OBITUARY.(Maquon (Ill.) Independent.)

Julia F. LIGHT (nee) SMITH was born in Peoria County, Ill., Feb. 3rd 1862, and lived with her parents, A. D. and Ann F. SMITH, until married to Joseph W. LIGHT Feb. 19, 1880. In the autumn of the same year she accompanied her husband to Nebraska where they lived five years and then returned to this state, and after six months went to Kansas where she was living when about the middle of January last she was attacked with La Grip and gradually grew worse until it became apparent to her that she could not live ad she desired to return to her fathers home here in Ill. She reached Summit last Monday morning, and was greatly comforted in being present again with her parents and friends. But no earthly conditions could save her, and she lingered among her friends a little less than a week when she departed to be with friends in the "sweet by and by."

She had been a great sufferer for three years, she had been afflicted, with dropsy which at times seemed almost at the point of taking her life, but in patience and Christian fortitude, she resignedly endued her affliction until she received a crown of life a "The Home of the Soul."

Death did not take her unaware or without preparation.

She was always a conscientious, (sic) thoughtful girl, solicitous (sic) about the comfort and happiness of others.

Twelve years ago this winter she was converted, and united with the M. E. Church, and continued steadfast in faith until transferred to the church triumphant.

Source: "Local News" column, The Oakley GRAPHIC, Oakley, Logan County, Kansas; Friday, April 11, 1890; page 5 column 2. Microfilm available at Oakley Public Library, Oakley, Kansas; filmed for/by Kansas State Historical Society, Topeka, Kansas.

"Obituary", The Oakley GRAPHIC, Oakley, Logan County, Kansas; Friday, April 18, 1890; page 4 column 4. Microfilm available at Oakley Public Library, Oakley, Kansas; filmed for/by Kansas State Historical Society, Topeka, Kansas.Mr.

Wednesday- November 24, 1943----Deaths & Funerals

Mrs. Ella Ullrich dies at San Diego. Mrs. Ella Ullrich, who for ten years resided at 1472 North Cedar street before leaving Galesburg four years ago., died this morning at San Diego, Ca., in which city she had resided since moving from Galesburg,

Funeral services are to be held at Burlington, Ia., although the time has not been determined as yet.

Services at Kewanee for Charles Mason

Alpha, Nov 24--- Funeral services for Charles Mason of Alpha were held Saturday afternoon at the Ward Funeral home in Kewanee, Henry Co., IL. Dr. C. H. Young, pastor of the First Methodist church, was in charge. Song service was given by Mrs. Millie Arnold and Mrs. Clint Cross. Casketbearers were Earl Strom, Louis Reiff, Otto Kuster, Glenn Hanson, Sigrid Lundahl and William White. Burial was in South Pleasant View Cemetery in Kewanee.

Rites for Fritz H. Swanson on Saturday---World War I Vet w/ two sons in World War II.

Services for Fritz Henning Swanson, R. F. D. 1 Knoxville, Knox Co., IL, six miles east of Galesburg, whose death occurred suddenly Monday evening at 7:50 p. m. from a heart attack, will be held Saturday afternoon at 2 o'clcock at the Kimber & West mortuary and whwere friends may call Thursday and at the farm residence Friday. Burial will be in Memorial Park.

Mr. Swanson was born june 21, 1894 at Henderson Grove, He attended the school of that vicinity and was confirmed in the Henderson Grove Lutheran Church. He was married to Miss Helen Asher at Peoria, June 30, 1920.

During the first war, Mr. Swanson was a corporal attached to the 129th Infantry with 18 months of service.

He is survived by his wife and five children. Duane, a sailor stationed in Florida; Mrs. Emry Conrad, Woodhull; Robert, a member of the marine corps in foreign service; Rollin Dean and Jennie, both at home. He is also survived by his father, Ludwig Swanson, Henderson Grove; two sisters, Mrs. Frank Nelson, Alpha and Mrs. Harry Wolf, Henderson; and two brothers, Ernest Swanson, New Windsor; and Mauritz Swanson, Moline.

Mrs. Michael Chico dies this morning

Mrs. Michael Chico, 1156 South Cedar street, died this morning at 4:30am in St. Mary's hospital where she had been a patient the last week and after an illness of six months.

Mrs. Chico was born in Hungary in 1887 and in 1901 came to this country when 14 years of age. She was married to Andrew Szabo in Joliet, whose death occurred in 1922. Two years later, Jan 27, 1924, she was married to Michael Chico in St. Patrick's church in this city.

'Surviving are her husband; a son, Cpl. Andrew John Szabo, located at Lincoln, Neb; a daughter at Lincoln, Neb; a daughter, Mary Elizabeth at home, and a step-daughter Mrs. Max Szabo, in Michigan.

Funeral services will be held Friday morning at 9 o'clock at S. Patrick's church. Friends may call at the home Thursday and where prayers will be recited that night at 8 o'clock.


A delay of one day in the holding of services for Mrs. Michael Chico, 1156 South Cedar street. has been announced with th rites to be conducted in St. Patrick's Catholic church Saturday morning at 9 o'clock and recial of the Rosary to occur at 8 o'clock this evening at the home.

William Wheeler rites are conducted today;

Services for William Wheeler, whose farm home was located in Coldbrook Township southwest of the Galesburg, Knox Co., IL and whose death occurred Saturday were held at the Hinchliff and Wilson Funeral chapel this afternoon at 2 o'clock with Rev. Arthur Munson and the Rev. Mr. Leonard officiating Mr and Mrs. Derham Lucas, accompanied by Mrs. Helen Suydam, sang.

Burial was in the Mosher cemetery with Clyde Law, Charles Squires, Leslie Herslow, Charles Gardner, Oryal Anderson, and Earl Wilson as bearers.


Funeral rites were conducted today for John Otis Reynolds, well known local colored man whose death occurred suddenly, at the Second Baptist church this afternoon at 2 O'clock with Rev. W. T. Green in charge. The church choir, accompanied by Mrs. M. V. Parrot, sang several selections

Bearers were Bursie Williams, Berthol Taylor, Ralph Green, Albert Green, Norma Dodson and Douglas Wheeler. Burial was at Linwood Cemetery.


Services for Robert E. Davidson a lifelong resident of Henderson, Henderson Township, Knox County, Illinois, who died after a long illness the early part of the week, were conducted in the United Brethren church at Henderson this afternoon at 2:30 o'clock with Rev Mary Murrel in charge. Mrs. Schroeder, accompanied by Mrs. F. Y. Greene, sang.

Those serving as pallbearers were J. T. Nelson, W. R. Watters, R. E. Swank, Alva Simpson, C. J. Rumley and Thomas Shea. Burial was in the Ö Henderson Cemetery Ö.

George E. Davidson Dies at Prairie City

Prairie City, Nov 26, 1943--George Edward Davidson, 55, passed away at the home of his mother, Mrs. Waldon Davidson, in Prairie City on Wednesday at 12:30 pm after several weeks of illness. Mr. Davidson ws born on a farm three miles east of Bushnell, the only child of Waldon and

Elmer McGrew, Altona, dies suddenly TODAY

Altona, Nov 24--Elmer McGrew, 73, years old died suddenly at 8:35am today as the result of a heart attack. He had been in failing health for some time

Immediate relatives surviving are the wife and the daughter, Mrs. Elmer Bloomquist.

Galesburg Paper, November 26, 1943--Mrs. E. Belle Collopy Dies Thursday night:

Mrs. Elizabeth Belle Collopy 260 East Ferris Street, who had been ill due to a hear condition the last half year, and in a serious condition the past week, died at her home Thursday night at 10:50 o'clock.

Elizabeth Belle, daughter of Thomas and Elizabeth Marsh, was born March 26, 1869, at Cameron, and during the greater share of her life resided on a farm three miles southwest of Galesburg. She was married to William Edward Collopy in November 1892, in this city. The husband died in October, 1936.

Mrs. Collopy was a member of the St. Patrick's Church and of the Altar Society of the church until illness prevented active participation.

There are four daughters, Mrs. J. C. McMillan, St. Paul, Minn; Miss Irma Colopy at home; Mrs. E. E. Peterson, Los Angels, Cal; and Mrs. E. A. Launch, Springfield, Ohio'; as well as a brother, Harry C. Marsh, Porterville, Cal.

Services will conducted Monday morning at 9 o'clock in St. Patrick's church. Friends may call at the family residence Saturday evening and Sunday and where the Rosary will be recited Sunday night at 8 o'clock.

Mrs. Ellen Dillon of Stronghurst Dies

Stronghurst, Nov 26, 1943--(Special) Mrs. Ellen Christine Dillon, wife of Oscar Dillon died suddenly Wednesday evening at her home following an attack of heart ailment.  She had been ill the past four weeks.

Mrs. Dillon was born in Sweden April 8, 1879. She is survived by her husband, three sons, two daughters and 14 grandchildren.

The funeral will be held at 3 o'clock pm Saturday at Bethel Lutheran Church in Stronghurst with the Rev. Paul Lorimer in charge. The burial will be at the Stronghurst Cemetery.

Friends may call at the Mellar Funeral Home.

Mrs Latha Ireland died Late Thursday Night

Mrs. Latha Ireland, 64, who formerly resided at 888 East fourth street, died Thursday night about 10 o'clock at the state hospital in East Moline where she had been a patient over 10 years.

Mrs. Ireland was born in Weaver, Ia, a daughter of Mr. and Mrs. William Smith. In 1902 she was married to Jerry Ireland.

Surviving are the divorced husband, three brothers and a sister.

One daughter, Hilma, is deceased.

Funeral services are to be held Saturday afternoon at 3:30 o'clock with Rev John F. Norman of the First Christian church to officiate. Burial will be in Memorial Park.

Johnston Brewer Rite held Sunday

Last services for Johnston Brewer, whose death occurred on Wednesday, Nov 24, were held at 2 o'clock Sunday afternoon in Klinck's chapel, conducted by the Rev. John H. Clarke, Organ music was furnished hues by Mrs. Floyd Peterson.

The body was laid to rest tint he Knoxville cemetery and the casket bearers were Leonard Philblad,. Kenneth Witherell, Floyd Spencer, Paul Newcomer, Gilber, Unger and Russell Cronoble.

Former Alpha woman dies in Montana

Alpha, Nov 29, 1943-- (Special) Mr. and Mrs. R. Earl Knox received announcement of the death of Mrs. John A. Taylor of Gransdale, Mont., who passed away Nov 15, 1943 at LaFayette, April 16, 1887 After her marriage she lived here for several years when her husband was principal of the Alpha High School. The family later moved to Sheffield and Orion where Mr. Taylor taught school, and they have lived in Montana for many years. She is survived by her husband and three children. Burial tool place at Hamilton, Mont. Nov 19, 1943.

Charles Olson, 71, Aledo Farmer, Dies

Aledo--Nov 29, 1943--Charles Olson, 71, for many years a resident of the Aledo community, died at 10:45 am Sunday at the Monmouth hospital. He suffered a stroke Thanksgiving morning and was taken to the hospital on Saturday.

Mr. Olson was born in Sweden and came to the United States in 1893. He lived two and one half years in Cambridge and then moved to the Aledo community. He had farmed all his life and planned to retire and move to Aledo next spring. He was married in 1902 to Miss Freda Carlson. Mr. Olson was a member of the Messiah Lutheran church.

Surviving are the wido, four children, Mrs. Carl Peterson, Grand Rapids, Mich; Mrs. lee Peterson, Aledo; Milton Olson Sparta, Mich, and Earl Olson Buffalo Prairie; two brothers John and Otto Olson, both of Alexis, and a sister, Miss Tidia Olson in Sweden.

Funeral services will be held at 2pm Tuesday from the Messiah Lutheran church, with Rev O. F. Domiej officiating. Burial will be in the Aledo Cemetery.

Mrs. George Sharer of Rio Dies Saturday

Alexis--Nov 29, 1943--Nrs, George A. Sharer of Rio, died Saturday afternoon shortly after 1pm Galesburg Cottage hospital where she had been a patient since November 25.

Mrs. Sharer, daughter of E. T. and Florence Van Hook Christie, was born March 16, 1918 at Seaton. She married George Sharer on October 31, 1936. Three children survive, namely John Lewis, Darlene and Judith Kay. also remaining are her husband, her parents, two brothers and three sisters.

While a young girl and living with her aunt, Mrs. Lottie Wallston of Monmouth, she became a member of the First Presbyterian church of Monmouth.

The funeral service will beheld at 2pm Tuesday at the United Brethren church at Alexis with the Rev. W. E. Loomis in charge Committal services will be at the Alexis cemetery.

Charles W. Bidwell dies in Chicago

Word has been received here of the death of in Woodlawn hospital in Chicago Saturday of Charles W. Bidwell, 64, manager of Favor Ruhl & Co. an artists supply firm, following an illness of several months. He was a native of Plymouth. Many years ago before becoming associated with the firm in Chicago which he managed he traveled for an supply company, the O. T. Johnson store and one or tow other art supply places here being visited by him regularly of his trip through this territory. He is survived by his widow, Alice, and one sister, the latter, Mrs. George E. Lawton of Plymouth. Funeral services were held this afternoon in Chicago.

Mrs. C. Abrahamson, 96, dies at Altona Sunday

Altona, Nov 29, 1943--Mrs. Carolina Abrahamson widow of the later Charles Abrahamson, died at 4am Sunday at the Riesbieter Convalescent Home. where she had been a patient. She had attained the great age of 96years, six months and 27 days.

Mrs. Abrahamson was born on May 4, 1847, in Sweden and came to the United States in 1872, locating in Burea County. She married Charles Abrahamson of Princeton in 1873. The Abrahamson's moved to Altona in 1882. Mr. Abrahamson died in 1927.

Surviving relatives include August J. Abrahamson of Aurora, retired Burlington railroad dispatcher, and Herber Abrahamson, of 148 Phillips street Galesburg. There are 12 grandchildren and 12 great-grandchildren.

Mrs. Abrahamson was a member of the Immanuel Lutheran church of Altona where funeral services will be held at 2pm Tuesday. The Rev. H. R. Ekesberg of Monmouth, formerly of Altona, will be in charge. Committal rites will be at the family lot in the Altona cemetery.

Friends may cal this evening at the Dean Funeral Home in Galesburg.

T. E. Tucker service held on Saturday

Williamsfield, Nov 29, 1943--Thomas E. Tucker son of Ezra and Catherine Mundy Tucker, was born in Knox County March 29, 1875 and died at his home near Williamsfield Nov ??aged 68years 7 months and 3 days.

He grew to manhood in Knox county, receiving his education in the rural schools. On March , 1901, he was married to Flora Block. To this union was born one son, Everett.

Mr. Tucker was preceded in death by his mother who died when Thomas was only nine days old; by his father and two sisters. He leaves to mourn his departure his wife, Flora his son Everett: the daughter-in-law Ruth; and two grandchildren Patricia Ann and Donald Dean all of Williamsfield. also one brother, Samuel of Williamsfield a sister Mrs. Barbara Dollison of Dahinda; and a number of other relatives and a host of friends.

Mr. Tucker spent his entire life in the Williamsfield community on the farm south of town his recreation was hunting and fishing and nothing delighted him more than a hunting or fishing trip with old friends.

He was known to a wide circle of friends as a faithful husband, loving father and a friend.

Funeral services were held from the Williamsfield Methodist church at 2pm Saturday, Nov 27, Rev Fred Reed was in charge the singers were Mrs. Ruth Sargent and Mrs. Helen McClellanan. accompanied by Miss Wilma Johnson

Casket-bearers were Royce Sargent, Ed Larsen, E. G. Moon, Russell Farquer, W. F. Powers, G. N. Rice. Interment was in the Williamsfield Cemetery.

Tom E. Tucker, Nov 26, 1943--Tom E. Tucker of Williamsfield dies

Tom E. Tucker, 68, a farmer residing south of Williamsfield, died Thursday morning at 9:30 o'clock at his home after an illness of one year. Funeral services will be held at 2 pm Saturday from the Methodist Church in Williamsfield with Rev. Fred Reed officiating. Burial will be in the Williamsfield Cemetery. Friends may call a the Regan Funeral home tonight.

Surviving are th ewidow; one son, Everett; two grandchildren; one brother, S. B. Tucker, Williamsfield, and one sister, Mrs. W. A. Dollison of Appleton.


Mrs. Harry Little, 76, a resident of the Dahinda community, died at the Galesburg Cottage Hospital at 9:50pm Sunday. She had been ill the past year. Surviving are the husband and two daughters, Mrs. Sam Davis, Galesburg, and Mrs. Marion Hodge, Dahinda.

Funeral Services will be held at 2pm Wednesday from the Klinck chapel in Knoxville with the Rev. John H. Clarke officiating. Burial will be in the Knoxville cemetery . Friends may call at the Klinck chapel any time up to the hour of the service.


Following an illness of two years, Gordon E. Brown, 1672 Willard Street, died Sunday morning at 9:45 o'clock in St. Mary's Hospital. Mr. Brown a constable, had served as an officer ofr a period of 20 years.

Mr. Brown was one of those few individuals whose birth occurred on a February 29, and accordingly had only observed 16 birthdays despite the fact he was 67 years of age. His date of birth was in 1876, at North Henderson, Ill, a son of William and Mary Brown natives of Knox county. Mr. Brown has resided in Galesburg for 50 years.

His marriage to Miss Elizabeth Hall took place in Galesburg, March 30, 1904.

Those surviving are the wife and a daughter, Mrs. Ornie Reynolds, both of Galesburg, and several brothers and Sisters, T. W. Brown, Leed, S. D.; J. A. Heflin; Viola; Mrs Belle Brown, Long Beach, Cal; Mrs. H. G. Jackson, Sturgeon, Altona; and Mrs. Titia Brown, Leed, S. D., and two grandchildren.

Funeral services will be held Tuesday afternoon at 2pm at the Dean Funeral home and where friends may call this evening. Burial will occur at Mt. Vernon Cemetery at North Henderson.


Funeral services for Staff Sgt. Vivion Paul Smith, 28, St. Augustine, who was killed in an accident at Tucumari, N. M. on Monday evening, will be held Sunday afternoon at 2:30pm from the Christian church at St. Augustine in charge of Rev. L. Hadaway. Friends may call at the home of the parents Mr. and Mrs. Ellis Smith in ST. Augustine this evening and any time up the hour of the service. Burial will be in the Babbitt Cemetery.

Complete details concerning the accident are lacking. Staff Sgt. Smith, who was a military police in the air corps, was taking a prisoner to a penitentiary when the truck in which he was riding with four or five other soldiers turned over. Sgt. Smith and another soldier were killed.


Tuesday, Dec. 26, 1969---Andrew Delforge.

Last rites for Andrew Delforge, former East Galesburg resident who was fatally injured in a coal mine accident near Bushnell last Wednesday were held at 9 o'clock this morning from Corpus Christi church, where requiem mass was celebrated by the Rev. M. J. Cronin, with responses sung by the church choir. Burial was in the Linwood Cemetery. Casket-bearers were William Richards, Marion Allison, Edwin Alstedt, Wilbert Sargent, Wade McNaught, and Leo Blanchard.


Gilson, Ill Dec 15, 1915--Harmorah Richardson, daughter of Pluny and Betsy Richardson was born, January 9, 1839, and departed this life December 12, 1915 aged 76 years 11 months and 3days.

She was one of a family of eight children of whom three brothers and one sister are living. Daniel and Owen of Nebraska, Orley of Gilson and Richard Pickerel of Knoxville.

She was united  in marriage to Byl Sherman in 1858. To them were born 13 children of whom eight are living; 7 sons and one daughter. Four children died in infancy and Mrs. John Hart in 1907.  The remaining children are Jay Alva, and Leonard of Gilson, Pluny and George of Knoxville, Lester of Victoria, Rueben of Dahinda and Mrs. F. W. Butts of Phoenix, Ariz.

For many years she was a patient suffer, never complaining and always thinking of the welfare of others.

The funeral was conducted by Rev.  W. R. Shinn assisted by Rev. W. A. Wilson at the residence of O. J. Sherman Tuesday am Dec 14, 1915.

The singing was by Miss Daisy McKown and Maude Bushong, with Opal Mills as organist. The burial was in Gilson.

Free Web Counter
Free Web Counter