The Sage & Jones Farm at Barret, Kansas


       It has been one hundred and thirty two years since Horace Sage moved to his farm at Barrett, Kansas, and it has been one hundred years since he died. His farm has remained property of his family through three generations, and it contains the last landmarks of old Barrett, Kansas; the Barrett Schoolhouse and the Barrett Cemetery.

         Local history claims that the first Barrett schoolhouse, school district #1, was built on Andy Osborn's farm in 1858. The Sages and Joneses didn't locate to Barrett until 1869, so there may have been other previous owners as well. The first school house was a frame construction, and it burned down near the time that the Sages arrived. At that time Horace Sage donated additional land 100' south of the old burned school for the

construction of the stone schoolhouse which was completed in 1870 and still stands today. The Barrett Cemetery was started in 1877 when a close friend of the Sages named Margaret McConchie died. Barrett didn’t have a cemetery, and Horace donated the southeast corner of his farm for a burial ground. Horace L. Sage lived a substantial time in the states of New York, Massachusetts, and Illinois prior to coming to Kansas at the age of 59. He was born in New York in 1810, and his family history is recorded back to 1652 when 13 year old David Sage first came to America.

      David Sage and his widowed mother Elizabeth, sailed from Wales, and they arrived at a settlement on the Connecticut River later to be known as Middletown, Connecticut.  At the age of 20, David was working as a servant to John Kirby who had settled at Hartford, Conn. in 1635, and at the age of 25, David married John Kirby’s daughter Elizabeth. Elizabeth died three years later, and at the age of 32 David married Mary Wiley.Mary was born on the Connecticut River at Watertown in1647. Horace's lineage is through Mary and her son Timothy.

      The descendants of David were soon numerous, and as a result, many of them have been immortalized in American history. David Sage died March 31,1703, and his tombstone is still standing after nearly 300 years in the historic Riverside Cemetery at Middletown, Connecticut.

June 2001

 Her lies the Body

 of David Sage

 Aged 64 and

died 31st of March 1703

      Timothy Sage was born in 1678. He remained at Middletown near his father's home in the north part of Middletown known as the Upper Houses, and now know known as Cromwell. This generation branched into ship building, shipping and merchandising as well as farming. Colonial statute required Middletown to have a militia of at least eight armed men and a sergeant acting as guard at any assembly. That meeting house was a structure 20 feet square enclosed by a palisade. Middletown merchants developed an extensive trade in the West Indies and experienced booming times while that trade lasted. David Sage and his mother are identified as Puritans, and unlike the Quakers, they did not oppose slavery which was brought to Middletown in 1661. Timothy married Margaret Hurlbut and Horace's lineage is through their son Deacon Solomon. Capt.& Deacon Solomon Sage was born in 1719 and like Timothy, he also remained at Middletown. One third of Middletown's population was engaged in maritime trade, and for much of Solomon's lifetime that trade went uninterrupted.


      Those conditions changed in the later part of Solomon's life resulting in the Revolutionary War. The Congregational Church became the religious choice of Solomon’s father Timothy, and Captain Solomon also was a Congregationalist and became a Deacon in that church. Solomon was living among other of David Sage's descendants in Middletown during the Revolution. Captain Sage, commander of the sloop; Lucy, was a resident of Middletown when he and his crew were captured by the British sloop Mars. As they were being hauled to British Court, Captain Sage and his six crew members overpowered their captors, took control of the sloop Mars, and beached her near Newport. Another notable descendant of David's was General Comfort Sage of Middletown. Gen. Comfort Sage served with George Washington at Valley Forge and he was also an early friend of Benedict Arnold. When Benedict Arnold was found to be a traitor, maddened crowds swarmed Middletown and hanged Arnold in effigy. During the excitement, Gen. Comfort Sage hid Benedict Arnold's two small sons in his home on Cherry Street to protect them from mob violence. Comfort Sage remained a close friend of George Washington, and many years after the war, he entertained Washington at his home in Middletown. Capt. & Deacon Solomon Sage married Hannah Kirby in 1745.

       Horace's lineage is through their son Stephen. Stephen Sage was born in 1752 at Middletown , but unlike the previous Sage generations he did not remain there. He abandoned his maritime heritage and moved 60 miles northwest of Middletown to the mountains of western Massachusetts, known as the Berkshire Hills. Stephen settled east of Mt. Washington among a "Society of Friends" at Sandisfield, Massachusetts. He married Esther Hollister in 1777, and Horace's lineage is through their son Solomon. Stephen and Esther became responsible for raising Horace through thirteen years of his childhood. Stephen died in Sandisfield, Massachusetts at the age of 90. Solomon Sage was born in 1783 in Sandisfield, and at the age of 25  he married Amy Loomer. Amy was born in the Berkshire Hills at Partridgefield, now known as Peru. In 1800, Solomon's uncle Colonel Elias Sage moved from Sandisfield to Lewis County, New York on Lake Ontario. Elias worked as a farmer and carpenter, and later became involved in land speculation which made him the most extensive land owner in that area. Solomon and Amy moved near their uncle Elias and they bought a farm at Copenhagen, and that is where Horace Sage was born.

     Copenhagen is a few miles inland from Sacketts Harbor on Lake Ontario. Sacketts Harbor was then a large ship yard, and it became headquarters for the U.S. military operations on Lake Ontario during the War of 1812. Solomon's first three children were born prior to that war with the following years of birth: Aura (1808), Horace L. (1810), and Hiram (1811). When war began in 1812 the Brig Oneida was sent to Sacketts Harbor to patrol Lake Ontario and to enforce U.S. Embargoes. As hostilities increased, land forces were brought in, and Zebulon Pike's Fort was constructed on the shore of the harbor. During the winter of 1812-13 the St. Lawrence River and Lake Ontario were frozen over preventing naval attack, but in early spring hostilities resumed, and the Governor of New York drafted all qualified men into the state militia. 750 of those militia men were stationed at Sacketts Harbor to reinforce the 400 regulars already at Pike's Fort. Solomon Sage died March 13, 1813 during that military build up, and his cause of death is unknown. Four weeks later on April 6, 1813, Solomon's fourth child was born and he was also named Solomon. The tactics of the Lake Ontario campaign changed in April, and General Dearborn commanded the entire naval fleet and 1700 men to sail to York, Canada, leaving Sacketts Harbor poorly defended. General Dearborn became ill in route to York and turned the command of the assault over to Brig.Gen. Zebulon Pike. York was easily conquered, but Zebulon Pike was killed in that battle. One month later on May 27, 1813, the British attacked Sackett's Harbor which was left undefended on water. The British broke through two lines of defense and burned the town stores and part of Pike's fort. For the next two days they continued inland burning surrounding villages before being forced back to their ships and out of the harbor.

    Solomon's widow Amy and her four small children, ranging in age from 6 weeks to 5 years, were living in that area during the British attack and Amy then sent 3 year old Horace to the Berkshire Hills to live with his grandparents Stephen and Esther. Horace remained with his grandparents until he was 16, and then he returned to his mother's farm at Copenhagen, New York. He remained on Amy's farm until he was 22, and he remained in New York until he was 27. It isn't clear what Horace did between the ages of 22 and 27, but he may have ventured into land speculation during that time. Land speculation was Horace's occupation later, and at the age of 27 he joined several enterprising young men bound for the distant prairie of Knox County, Illinois. Knox county had previously been a part of the U.S. Military Tract "bounty land" reserved for veterans of the 1812 War, but that inducement to settlement failed miserably, and there was only one veteran that had claimed land in Knox County. In 1820 the U.S. Congress made provisions to sell that Military Tract to the general public for $1.25/acre. That created a rush of settlers from New York in the 1830s, and on July 25, 1837, Horace L. Sage bought his first property in Illinois which was located 25 miles southeast of Rock Island, and located in Section 31, Walnut Grove Township, Knox County. It contained 212 acres and was located along the “Galena Trail” which was the first trail through Knox County. Horace made necessary improvements to his property and then he returned to Copenhagen, N.Y. where he married Guli "Julie" Mosher on Aug. 22, 1839. . Guli was born May 19, 1815 to Quaker parents in Chester, Warren County, New York. She was a descendant of Hugh Mosher who was born in 1633 and had settled at Newport, Rhode Island. One month after Horace and Guli were married they moved to his farm in Illinois.


1839 - 1869

Top photo is Keith's and bottom photo taken by

Foxie when researching the Sage Cemetery


      The first recorded "white man" in Knox County was Andy Osborn, and he settled there in 1828. The rolling prairie contained an even mix of grass and woodland, and the first court house was built in the winter of 1830-31, by William Lewis, Parnach Owens and Andy Osborn. It was two stories high, 20'x28', and built of hewn logs as there was no sawmill. The first mill in Knox County was built by a man named Barrett in 1834.

     In 1841, at the age of 31, Horace had his farm paid off and he began buying more land. The U.S. General Land Office in Galena, Illinois still had several acreages for sale near Horace's first farm and he bought 5 more federal properties at the $1.25/acre price prior to 1851. The western frontier had advanced far west of the Mississippi at that time, and that's where Horace's cousin Rufus Sage began making history. Rufus B. Sage made an excursion into Indian Territory in 1841, and he documented the scenes around him for the following three years. He accompanied Creole fur traders on their way west on the Independence Trail, and his journal describes the Vermillion and Blue Rivers along that trail. Among the several topics covered in his journal were the habits of the Indians in the Rocky Mountains. He described how the Indians used gold to make bullets , and he also wrote about gold flakes in the mountain streams. His book SCENES IN THE ROCKY MOUNTAINS was published in 1846, and due to popular demand, it was reprinted in 1856. His book included a detailed map which eventually led three Georgia prospectors to the gold in 1858.

     As settlement increased in Knox County, Horace and Guli were joined by her parents and many of her ten brothers and sisters from NeRebecca Mosher McConchiew York. Her brothers David and Reuben Mosher, and her sister Elizabeth Mosher Parmenter located on land nearby. In 1849 a family of Scottish immigrants named James and Margaret McConchie located next to the Sage farm. Among the McConchie children were William, Robert, J.B., and Samuel. The Sages and McConchie's became life long friends, and later Guli's niece Rebecca Mosher married J.B. McConchie.

      The township of Walnut Grove was organized in 1853. Horace moderated the election and was elected Assessor of that township. In 1854 the town of Oneida was founded on the west end of Horace's farm. That same year, the Chicago Burlington and Quincy Railroad was completed through Oneida connecting it to the Knox County Seat at Galesburg 12 miles away. This was a great public improvement, and 1854 also brought a personal change to the lives of Horace and Guli when they adopted 6 year old Anna Jacobson and renamed her Amy Ann Sage. Amy Ann's parents Henry and Breta Jacobson had sailed to America from Sweden in 1852, but they were routed into Ireland for ship repairs during the time of the Irish famine. During the two week stay in the Irish harbor they were exposed to an epidemic of disease, and upon arriving in America, Henry and Breta both died of cholera. Their daughter Anna lived at the home of Cyrus Robbins in Rock Island until she was adopted by the Sages two years later.

     Two decades of pioneering had now changed the Knox County wilderness into a thriving civilization, but now the United States was on the brink of catastrophe. The morality of slavery had been a heated topic in the U.S. Senate as early as 1856, and several southern senators threatened to secede from the U.S. if John Charles Fremont was elected President. Fremont's anti-slavery position had angered many southern Senators as well as his father-in-law Senator Thomas Hart Benton. Fremont lost that election, but the abolitionist cause continued to strengthen. The vast majority of Knox County citizens were against slavery and they supported the new "Radical Republican" agenda. Abraham Lincoln was one of those "Radical Republicans", and in 1858 he came to Knox County campaigning for the U.S. Senate. Lincoln was running against the incumbent Senator Stephen A. Douglas and they had scheduled a series of debates throughout Illinois, one of which was held at nearby Galesburg. At the beginning of those debates Lincoln declared " 'A house divided against itself cannot stand.' I believe this government cannot endure permanently half slave and half free. I do not expect the Union to be dissolved, I do not expect the house to fall, but I do expect it will cease to be divided. It will become all one thing, or all the other."

    Despite the overwhelming support from the Knox County citizens, Lincoln lost that election, but two years later he was again opposing Douglas in a race for the U.S. Presidency. Oneida, Illinois was incorporated in 1859, and Horace was elected town trustee. Horace now owned several farms and his life was prosperous. Guli was working for a doctor curing skin cancers. The pioneer days were behind them now but despite the many improvements in place, several of the first pioneers to Knox County began moving west to Territorial Kansas. One of the first to leave for the Kansas Territory was Andy Osborn.

      The issue of slavery had caused armed conflict in Kansas as early as 1854, and as the 1860 Presidential campaign progressed, several southern states now threatened to secede from the nation if Abraham Lincoln became President. During this time before the Civil War, a young man named O. R. Jones drifted into Oneida looking for work. He had immigrated from Anglesey Wales at the age of 20 in 1855. He first stayed at his brother's home in Minnesota, and then wandered down to New Orleans where he found work on a plantation. With the possibility of civil war likely, he traveled back north which brought him to Oneida. He found work there as a farmhand and he remained at Oneida until the outbreak of war.

        After Lincoln won the 1860 Presidential election, seven southern states had already seceded from the Union prior to his inauguration in March. President James Buchanan, while departing the White House, is said to have remarked "I was the last President of the United States." Civil War was declared in April. Robert and William McConchie, Guli’s nephew,  George Mosher, and O. R. Jones joined Co. C, 42nd Illinois Regt. on August 10, 1861. George Mosher died at Tipton Missouri on January 2nd of 1862. Samuel and J.B. McConchie joined the 102nd Illinois Regt. in August of 1862. Co C 42nd Regt IL Vol leave Chiccago 186The 42nd and 102nd Regts. were both with Sherman at Resaca, Georgia in 1864, and Wm. McConchie was killed there May 13th. Both regiments then proceeded to Atlanta, and encamped there on Sept. 8th. After burning Atlanta, those regiments were divided. J.B. and Samuel remained with Sherman on his “March to the Sea”, and O.R.'s regiment was routed through a series of battles in Alabama and Tennessee. After three years of war, Robert McConchie became incapacitated and in October of 1864 he was assigned to duty in the Invalid Corps. O.R's regiment began with roughly 1500 personnel, and over the duration of the war,13 Officers and 168 Enlisted men had been killed or mortally wounded, and 5 Officers and 201 Enlisted men died from disease, bringing the total mortality count to 387. O.R. Jones, J. B. and Samuel McConchie survived the war without physical harm, and they returned to Oneida, Illinois after the war.

     O.R. expressed his thoughts in a letter to his bother about what he would do after getting out of the army. The letter was written a short time after the battle of Missionary Ridge. O.R. had contemplated leaving the army at the end of his enlistment that month, but instead he reenlisted on January 1st of 1864. He expressed his dis-satisfaction with living for a wage, and he speculated that he may become an independent teamster in civilian life.

Chattanooga Tenn. Dec 1 1863 My dear brother, sister and relations,

    I am once more enjoying the privilege of greeting you through the medium of the mail. I received your letter that was dated Nov. 17. I was indeed pleased to get the news that you were all in good health and I am able to say that I am enjoying the same blessings, to our Lord be the thanks. There is no doubt but that you are aware of the severe fighting that has been fought before this letter lets you know that I have been very fortunate in being cared for through all these terrible dangers so that no single harm has been permitted to confront me in my person. I am seeking to recognize our Heavenly Father for his great care over me. Our army has been in the strenuous conflict on every point. We have taken about 27,000 prisoners and about 52 cannons I suppose. There is no use for me to try to give the news to you for the reason that I suppose you have seen in the papers the entire story before now.

    You were speaking of going to the old country. It is certain that you know your circumstances better than I but I do not think that you can make it pay however if you are going I would like it if you could wait until I my time is up in the army in order that I could go with you provided I feel like it at that time. I am thinking that if my humor holds out and my health is maintained until the month of August I am considering buying a team of horses and wagon and coming to Minnesota in the fall and if I can get a piece of land close to you I will try to get it but if I can not I am thinking I can make a better living in Minnesota with a team of strong horses than by working by the month. I have no special news to write. Remember me to Jane and the children with the warmest regards and take a share for yourself.

I shall close with the warmest of love toward you all.

Your absent brother

 Owen, to Wm. and his family.

Good bye till I see you, please write soon to Chattanooga, O.R.

Four months after returning to Oneida, O.R. Jones married H.L. Sage's daughter Amy Ann, and at that same time, Samuel and J.B. took their wives and children west to Marshall County, Kansas. A short time later many of the Moshers and Parmenters Amy Ann Sage & O. R. Jonesalso followed that migration to Kansas. Amy Ann and O.R. had her first child in 1867 and she was named Josephine. Two years later, the families of H.L. Sage, O.R. Jones, and James McConchie joined their former neighbors who had moved to Marshall County, Kansas. H.L. Sage and O.R. Jones located in section 31 of Vermillion Township at the village of Barrett. Barrett, which was located a short distance upstream from the old Independence Trail on the Black Vermillion River, was founded by abolitionist Quakers in 1854.

The Central Branch of the Union Pacific Railroad came to Barrett in 1868, and a side track and depot was

built there in 1869. Back in Illinois the train depot was a short walk from the Sage home, and the railway depot at Barrett was now equally close to their new home in Kansas. Household goods and furniture were now easily shipped by rail, but their cattle were brought on hoof to Kansas. Horace, Amy Ann, James and Margaret McConchie drove covered wagons, while O.R. rode horseback herding the cattle. They arrived at Barrett in October of 1869. It isn't known to what degree the Sage farm had already been improved before they arrived, but a house was likely already in place. Winter was approaching and Amy Ann was separated from her two year old daughter, so it is likely that they settled quickly. Amy Ann's daughter "Josie" was being cared for by Guli back in Illinois during the move, and they came to Barrett by train after their families got settled. An autograph book kept by Horace's granddaughter Edith includes this quote from Horace Sage: "Whatever you win in life, you must conquer by your own efforts and then it is yours, a part of yourself. Poets may be born, but success is made."

Horace Sage family

     Upon arriving at Barrett at the age of 59, Horace quickly resumed land speculation. The Union Pacific Railroad provided a quick trip from Barrett to Irving, and Horace soon started buying small farms in the valleys of the Black Vermillion and Big Blue Rivers south of that railroad. The post Civil War era brought several settlers to Kansas looking for small farms, and Horace found a brisk market for those properties. He also acted as the mortgage lender on his properties, and his banking activities soon produced a small fortune.

An 1883 biographical sketch of Horace L. Sage

written in Cutler's The History of Kansas reads as follows: "...

     He then moved to Kansas, where he has lived thirteen years, and has bought considerable land and settled others on it, and when they gain enough to buy the land, then he sells it to them; they pay cash rent. Mr. Sage has accumulated a handsome fortune for his old age, now being in his seventy-third year."

    Meanwhile Guli was practicing medicine in their home. The doctor that she had worked for in Illinois gave her the formula for his skin cancer cure with the provision that she wouldn't use it east of the Mississippi River. It isn't known how many patients she treated, but the process required 10 days, and the patients remained at the Sage home during that time. A chemical formula was mixed into a salve and then placed on the skin cancer. Ten days later the cancer was dead and it could be pulled out by the roots. Guli then preserved those skin cancers in glass jars, and later Guli's granddaughter Josie was so disgusted by the jars of pickled cancers that she took them all outside and smashed them.

    Guli died in 1884, and six months later Horace deeded his farmstead and surrounding acreage to his daughter Amy Ann Jones with the provision that he would still maintain "full use and control of the four rooms on the east end of the stone dwelling house during his lifetime".

    O.R. Jones became the manager of Horace's farms, while Horace continued speculating in land. The "dwelling house", as Horace called it, is a two story stone house still standing on the farm. It contained 12 rooms, and many of Amy Ann's children were born in that house. The origin of that house is not known. Some family members believe it was inspired by O.R. Jones, and it is similar to most of the stone buildings in his Welsh hometown of Aberffraw. There are interior partition walls made of stone, which may indicate that the house was enlarged. The exterior walls are of a quarried stone construction, much like the Barrett Schoolhouse. The lintels and sills in the doors and windows are made of cut stone throughout. The only exterior anomaly is on the east gabled end which has a coating of stucco that had been scored to create a cut stone appearance. Horace's four room quarters occupied the first and second floors on that east end.

     Horace didn't spend much time at home, he was busy selling his properties on the street corners of town. He didn't wait for customers to come to him . Barrett was soon in economic decline, and the towns of Irving and Frankfort became more prosperous. Horace began banking at both Frankfort and Irving, and the sight of him promoting his properties on the sidewalks of those towns earned him the nickname "the curb side banker". In the early 1890s he owned several lots in Irving as well as many small farms located south of town along the Big Blue River. His property inventory was then scattered over five townships and contained forty small farms. Horace was not the most extensive land owner in that area. There were several large ranches containing hundreds of acres in the Blue Valley, but most of Horace's properties were 80 acre parcels ready for market. Hard times hit in the 1890s, and the market for all farm ground soon slowed down, but that didn't deter Horace from trying.

     Horace was 83 years old when the U.S. economy went into a "Panic" forcing many families into bankruptcy. Those negative conditions were compounded by an extended drought throughout the plains states. During that time, uprooted families were seen traveling through Irving in buggies and canvas covered carts looking for a new and unknown homeland. Among the victims of that Panic and drought was the family of Laura Ingalls Wilder. In 1894, she and her family fled their Dakota homeland traveling south in search for a new start, and that journey took them through Irving, Kansas. Laura's diary of that journey was published seven decades later in the book ON THE WAY HOME. In that book she described burned-up corn fields and drought conditions throughout Nebraska and Kansas. Her book contains many descriptions along their route, but the only place that she mentioned land prices was just beyond Irving along the Big Blue River in the following excerpt:

    "August 8 ........ Irving is a tiny small town but it has an Opera House with a round roof, It looks like an engine boiler. Then we crossed the Blue again. Every time we cross it, it is lovelier than before. Improved land here is from $15. to $25. an acre. Could buy an 80 on the Blue bottoms, well improved, for $3,000. The bottom land is all good farms. The bluffs are stony. We camped near Spring Side, well named. There are springs on every side. I got water from a spring that boils up out of solid rock, cool and clear."........

     The curious part of Laura's diary is the sentence "Could buy an 80 on the Blue bottoms, well improved, for $3,000." An 1893 plat map of the "Blue Bottoms" shows several large ranches along their route. The large Denton Cattle Company, the R.J. Edwards Ranch and Frank Schmidt Ranch dominated the "Blue Bottoms", and most of the 80 acre parcels along the Blue River were owned by H.L. Sage. He had a variety to choose from. In the 80 acre category he had two farms bounded by the Blue River on the west, and he had another 80 acre farm near Springside with a reliable spring flowing out of solid rock. Whether or not Laura Ingalls Wilder encountered H.L. Sage while he was out hawking his wares in Irving, would be impossible to determine.

     In 1895, H.L. did have a link to a famous person, and he would have preferred to have done without it. His cousin Russell Sage had been in the news, and though Russell was a famous Wall Street tycoon now listed among the most notable Americans of the 19th Century, he was also notorious. Russell was from that branch of the Sage family living in New York near Lake Ontario. Biographers have described Russell Sage as the most hated man in America. His ruthless and even vicious business style had made him filthy rich and lots of enemies. One man that had been ruined by him came bursting into Russell's office with a gun and started shooting. Russell grabbed his accountant and used him as a shield. As a result the accountant took the bullets meant for Russell. The accountant didn't die of the wounds, but it left him seriously handicapped. Russell Sage then fired him for not being able to perform his duties, and gave him no severance or compensation. His accountant sued in a sensational trial and won easily, but Sage's lawyers confounded the legal process with appeal after appeal, and the accountant never did receive a dime of Sage's $70 million fortune.

       On August 7th of 1895 an article was written in the Kansas City Journal accusing H.L. Sage of being a "base imitator" of his cousin Russell Sage. Horace's son-in-law O.R. Jones responded to that accusation in the Frankfort Weekly Review as follows:

BARRETT, KAN., August 18, 1895

"I cannot imagine what object the Journal, a respectable newspaper, could have in publishing such an article. I happen to be in a position to know that the whole article is false from top to bottom.......He is not worth one eighth part of what the Journal article credits him with being, but he has calls almost every day from some poor man in distress, and he always responds if he has the means at his command ......He is a relative of Russell Sage, both of them being descendants of David Sage, who emigrated to this country from Wales in 1652 and settled in Middletown, Connecticut; they are the fifth generation.............

.....I dare say the party who wrote the article for the Journal could not borrow enough to pay a night's lodging where he is known. Mr. Sage has been back to his old home in New York State many times since living in this county. He has friends all over the east, and he goes to see them every few years.......Mr. Sage lives in the same house he and his wife occupied for so many years. It is a large two story stone house of twelve rooms, and he has from ten to fourteen persons living with him all the time. He does not do his own cooking or washing, as he has all the help he wants and enjoys the comforts of life.....The old gentleman is now getting pretty old, but those parties need not worry about Mr. Sage cooking or washing, but they had better attend to there own business, and they will probably get along better. Mr. Sage is pretty spry for a man of his age, and when he is called to cross the River we know of no man who will be missed more than he.

Respectfully, O.R. Jones"

H.L. remained active to the very end and he died on February 2nd 1901. He owned roughly 30 farms when he died, and he left the matters of his estate to his three executors; O.R. Jones, J.B. McConchie, and Samuel McConchie. H.L. Sage's pre-obituary announcement in a local newspaper stated: "He leaves but few relatives in this state, Mrs. J.B. McConchie of Wells Township is a niece, and the Messrs. Del and Seymour Mosher of Wells are nephews. Mrs. O.R. Jones of Barrett is an adopted daughter of Mr. Sage." Another obituary notice was published in the Marshall County News with the following comments: 

"Horace L. Sage died at his home in Barrett, Saturday, February 2nd, at 9:15 P.M......We have not the data at our hand from which to make any obituary except our own personal acquaintance of nearly thirty years.......He was very poor in his youth.......he rapidly accumulated wealth until at the time of his death there were very few men in Marshall County of greater wealth than he. In financial affairs he would exact the last cent due him, but no more. He was scrupulously honest and would live up to the letter of every contract, and expected others to do the same. He has helped scores of men to secure good farms and homes in Marshall County, and has been a great factor in the development of the county. He was eccentric in his ways, but was kind-hearted and honorable. The only family he leaves is one adopted daughter, Mrs. O.R. Jones who has been a faithful daughter caring for him as kindly, carefully and cheerfully as daughter could care for father...."

     H.L. Sage was a talented contract writer, and his last will and testament, written in 1896, reflects his cleverness. He willed that his "trust estate" be "divided into twenty three equal  shares". O.R. Jones, O.R.'s wife "Anna", Samuel McConchie, Samuel's wife Jane, and J.B. McConchie each received one share of those twenty three shares. One obvious exclusion was Horace's niece Mrs. J.B. McConchie. Rebecca was awarded nothing. All decisions concerning H.L.'s estate were left to a majority vote of the executors. Guli Mosher and Horace Sage both had family backgrounds that extended back to the mid 1600s in colonial America, and in contrast, at the beginning of the 20th century, their estate was in the hands of immigrants.

Horace's Will on left side   1893 Plat Map Springside right side

 they are thumbnails to read click on them and will open in their own window for better viewing.

Horace's last will & testament.

1893 Platmat

Horace L. Sage's Last Will & Testament

1893 Plat Map Springside

Horace Sage's Deed to the property where the Sage House Stands in 1837

It is also a thumbnail and click on it and you can read it in it's own window.

All information on this page and information Keith has supplied is copy write by Keith & Foxie. Any other use infringes the copy write laws. Thanks for your cooperation in this. This or some of is also on another Knox Co., IL, site but all information contained here was emailed to me from Keith. Plus, more detailed information now. Also, take a look at the Civil War Page and the

Sage Cemetery Page



created March 24, 2006 5a   Monday, May 22, 2006 06:12:45 AM uploaded.

More to come........... Link bar below just click where you want to go.

Foxie's Knox Home ] Will & Estates Records ] Military Buials Knox County, IL ] Family Photos ] Family Searchers ] Brick Walls ] Cemeteries ] Colonial Homes ] Knox 1st Settlers ] 1850 Census Blacks ] 1878 Hsitory Index ] 1886 P & B ] 1899 Historical Encyclopedia ] 1912 Knox history ] Obituaries ] Old Buildings ] One-Room Schools ] Railroads ] IL Links ] Main Attractions ] Newspapers ] Portraits ] People Search'n ] Schools ] Linda Kestner ] Lisa Groesbeck ] Kathy Merris ] Ramona Perkins ] Waltermire & Collins Families ] Wini Hartley ]


  Free Web Counter
Free Web Counter