navigation bar

BIOGRAPHY AND REMINISCENCES

iam Phoenix. He has been a consistent member of the M. E. Church since boyhood. As stated in the history of the Central Agricultural Society, in the histories of the townships and in that of Wyoming, he has been identified with the social, agricultural and commercial progress of the county for over twenty years.

B. F. Edwards, who died in January, 1881, at Peoria, came from Virginia to Toulon about 1840, and for many years was a resident of this county. His son, I. C. Edwards, is a Peoria lawyer.

John G. Emery, born September 24, 1839, in West Jersey township, where his parents, Frederick and Hannah (Gaffney) Emery settled, removed to Henry county in 1860, and to Knox county in 1866. He married Miss Ruth A. Friend in 1872.

Joseph Essex, who came in 1831 (a brother of Isaac B. Essex), and in 1841 established the first blacksmith shop at Toulon, was stricken with paralysis in 1876, and died that year.

Capt. Artemus Ewers, who served in the war and was wounded, died from the result of bullet wounds inflicted by himself, October 4, 1879. He wrote a letter to William Holgate on September 25, and also left some instructions with his wife, but the coroner's jury returned a verdict of accidental shooting.

Spencer Falconer, born at Culpepper, Va., seventy-seven years ago, died at Thomas Falconer's house, north of Wyoming, May 22, 1886.

Davis Fast died in Barton county, Mo., January 25. 1S82, at the age of ninety years. For fifty years he was a member of the Masonic society. Mrs. Elizabeth Fast, Sr., died in July, 1881, in her 92d year.

John Finley died February 28, 1883, aged eighty-one years. He was born in Fayette county, Pa., in 1802; removed to Richland, O., in 1811; married Rebecca Gaffney in 1828; settled in Illinois in 1834, and in Stark county in 1838. In 1856 his first wife died. In 1861 he married Mrs. Sarah Adams.

Rev. J. J. Fleharty, born at Jacksonville, Ill., February 5, 1835, died at Tampa, Fla., May 2, 1884. From 1858 to the time of his death he was a minister of the Methodist Episcopal church, serving in this county a portion of the time.

Benjamin C. Follett, son of Benjamin and Emily (Culbertson) Follett, was born in Ohio, March 18, 1844. This family is one of the oldest in Ohio, and in every generation has contributed to Ohio one or more useful and distinguished citizens. His father died in 1862, leaving young Follett the possessor of a solid common-school education. At this time he entered mercantile life at Chillicothe; was book-keeper there, and for seven years supported his mother and sister. Toward the close of the war he enlisted in Company A., One-hundred-and-forty-ninth Ohio Volunteer Infantry, and after the cessation of hostilities came to Toulon, where his uncle, John Culbertson, was the leading merchant. He entered business with him as a partner, and for eighteen years was one of the most prominent merchants in the county. Subsequently he purchased the large hotel on Washington street, which he now owns and conducts. He married Miss Helen M. Rhodes, a daughter of one of the county's pioneers and prominent citizens. They are the parents of three children, namely: Miss Emma, Miss Plessie and John; each one filling a place in the economy of home, and the ladies of the

344


OF TOULON TOWNSHIP.

family prominent in woman's work of the town. Mr. Follett has served in the council, as corresponding secretary of the County Agricultural Society, and is a member of the Masonic and Odd Fellow lodges of Toulon. The family name, sometimes written Ffolliott, Folliette and Folliott, is of French origin, dating back to the earlier years of our history.

Mrs. Pleasant (Bateman-Culbertson) Follett was born near Chillicothe, O., June 22, 1803; moved to Richmond, O., with her husband in 1822; in 1841 came to Stark county, where her husband opened a small general store, on the southwest corner of the northwest quarter of section 24 in Goshen township, just west of Indian creek, on the north side of the public road from Toulon to Lafayette. A little later this business was moved to Toulon and carried on where is now the Methodist parsonage. She married her second husband, Lodowick Follett, April 16, 1872. He died in 1879, aged sixty-seven years. Mrs. Follett, herself, died November 12, 1886, leaving all her property to Dr. James Culbertson, the only legal heir. The will provided a farm for Mrs. B. C. Follett, her adopted daughter; but this valuable tract was sold prior to her death, thus, it is said, invalidating this section of the document. Miles A. Fuller and Samuel Burge were named as trustees of the estate.

Sarah E. (Moler) Foglesong, born in Maryland in 1834, married Henry Foglesong in 1851, came to Stark county two years before her death.

William Fuller, born in Luzerne county, Pa., in 1819, settled where Modena now is in 1836, was married first in 1849, secondly in 1858, died in September, 1879.

Judge Miles Avery Fuller, son of Orange and Hepseh (Monroe Fuller, was born in Luzerne Co. Penn. April 25, 1822. His father was a native of Stockbridge, Mass., his mother, of New York; but both old settlers of Pennsylvania. In 1836 Orange Fuller and family of six sons came from their old home in the east and settled in Penn township where they engaged in farming and saw mill building. One daughter, Mrs. Lemuel S. Dorrance, married in Pennsylvania, came to this county in 1834. Miles A. Fuller engaged in agriculture and milling until his 31st year, he and a brother building the Modena Mills. In 1853 he was elected County Clerk on the Whig ticket by twenty-two votes over his Democratic friend, Milton Warren, and reelected in 1857, 1861 and 1865 without opposition on the Republican ticket. During his official terms he read law, was admitted to practice in 1862, and since 1869 has continuously practiced here. In 1875 he was commissioned Notary Public, which position he has since filled. In 1869 he was chosen delegate to the Constitutional Convention, with Henry W. Wells over Henry Grove and Martin Shallenberger, the Democratic candidates. In 1870 he was elected representative in the State Legislature over James M. Rogers, and filled local offices of trust as related in the history of Toulon. He was a very active and useful supporter of the Union during the war, and was commissioner from Stark at Springfield, to inquire into the Military credits and debits of this county in connection with the county's quotas of men. Mr. Fuller married Miss

345


BIOGRAPHY AND REMINISCENCES

Anna, daughter of Zebulon and Mary (Smith) Avery, pioneers of this county, to whom was born Delia, now Mrs. Cross, of Rich Hill. Bates county, Mo. Mrs. Fuller died in 1848. In later years he married Miss Elizabeth Walker. They were the parents of three sons and two daughters, viz., Frank Fuller, a merchant; Victor, attorney at law, Toulon; Ada, now Mrs. Henry C. Fuller, of Peoria, and Miss Lizzie and Ernest, deceased. Mrs Fuller is a member of the Baptist society, but ever ready to extend aid to other denominations. A reference to the chapters of the general and local history will point out minutely the various enterprises in which he has been engaged, and his recent election as county judge.

Ernest C. Fuller, while en route to Peoria, July 24, 1881, fell from the freight train under the wheels and was so mangled that death ended his sufferings on the 26th. He was the son of Miles A. Fuller, born at Toulon, June 9, 1859. No event in the history of the town cast a deeper shadow of sorrow, than did the death of this young merchant.

Andrew Galbraith, son of Hugh and Ann (Wilson) Galbraith, natives of Ireland, whose family history is given in the sketch of Goshen township, was born at Philadelphia, Pa., August 18, 1838, and there received his education. In 1859 he accompanied his parents to this county, and resided with them until August, 1862, when he enlisted in the New York Marine Artillery, served six months, when he was discharged at Newbern, N. C., on account of irregularity in form of enlistment. He at once reenlisted at Newbern, N. C., in the United States Navy; served on the gunboat Delaware until discharged at Baltimore, February, 1864. During the following twelve months he was engaged at home. In February, 1865, he enlisted in Company I, One-hundred-and-fifty-first Illinois Volunteer Infantry, was elected second lieutenant, and in July following was promoted first lieutenant, and served with this rank until February, 1866, when the command was mustered out. On returning, he established a meat-market at Toulon and dealt in live stock, and until 1875 was extensively engaged in this business. In 1875, he was elected constable and appointed deputy-sheriff, which position he held until 1882, when he was nominated by the Republicans and elected sheriff of Stark county, filling the office with rare ability until December, 1886, when, under the new state law relating to tenure of office, he was succeeded by James Montooth. A reference to the sketches of the Odd Fellows society, Grand Army Post, and other organizations of the town and county will point out his social relations here. In religious matters, he supports the Congregational church, of which two of his children are members, Cora B. and Harry A. In 1866, Mr. Galbraith married Miss Hannah R., daughter of the late Owen W. Thomas, whose family history appears in this chapter. Their children are Cora B., born March, 1867, a school-teacher here; Harry A., born in 1868, clerk in Messrs. Starrett's store at Toulon; Andrew, born July 3, 1874, attending school, and Clyta, born in April, 1886. Whether we search in the records of any of the three branches of the United States army in which he served during the war, we learn of an excellent soldier, and in home records of an energetic and useful citizen.

346


OF TOULON TOWNSHIP.

Charles Geesey, son of Charles and Lydia (Murray) Geesey, was born in Steuben county, N. Y. His father died in Fulton county in 1863, leaving six sons and four daughters. Of these, the subject of this sketch learned the trade of wagon-maker in Ohio, of which state his parents were then residents. He subsequently learned the carpenter's trade, and in 1874 moved to Illinois, taking up his residence at Wyoming. Mr. Geesey was married in Ohio to Miss Mary, daughter of Jacob Gyman, a native of Alsace, but herself of Germany. Since coming to Wyoming in 1874, he has devoted his attention to builders' and contractors' work, and his name is identified with many business and residence buildings, which mark the progress of Wyoming.

Amos P. Gill, born in Chautauqua county, N. Y., came, with his father, Elder Elisha Gill, to Illinois in 1843. In 1849, he and family settled at Toulon. Up to 1851, he was the only Odd Fellow in Toulon, and organized Stark lodge, October 17, 1851. He died February 11, 1870.

Hugh Y. Godfrey, whose name occurs as the first nominator of Lincoln for the presidency, was born in New Jersey, February 22, 1829; moved to a point opposite Philadelphia in 1846-47; sailed to Mexico about this time, and on returning came with parents to Toulon, November 5, 1848 ; learned the carriage- and wagon-builder's trade here ; served eleven months with the Thirty-third Illinois Infantry, and in 1865 resumed his trade at Toulon. In December, 1850, he married Miss Frances A. McCance.

Joel D. Goodale died here August 21, 1885, in the ninety-fifth year of his age.

W. H. Gray, born in Knox county, Ill., January 16, 1843, is the son of William and Betsey (Jordan) Gray. His father, was a native of New York state and mother of Ohio, who came to Illinois in 1835 or 1836, and prominently connected with the early manufacturing interest of Knox county for many years. He died in Bates county, Mo., in 1879. His mother, Betsey Gray, preceded her husband to the grave in 1877. They had three sons and three daughters, all of whom grew to manhood and womanhood. William H. spent his boyhood in Ohio; learned his business from his father, and in 1863 came to Stark county, where he carried on farming until 1869, when he established himself at Princeville, Peoria county; and after one year came here and founded his brick manufacturing industry, he was married in Stark county to Miss Eliza Jane, daughter of Alexander and Martha (Jordan) Traphagan. They are the parents of six sons and three daughters. Mr. Gray's brick works at Wyoming are among the leading industries of the county. In religious matters, the family attend the Congregational church, while in society matters he is a member of the Odd Fellows Lodge here and of the Encampment.

Mrs. Ruby (French) Greenfield, born in 1821, married Elisha Greenfield in 1846 near Princeville, Peoria county ; later moved north of Wyoming, thence to Henry county, and finally to Toulon. This lady was drowned in a cistern here April 24, 1884. The coroner's jury brought in a verdict of suicide.

Frederick Rudolph Greenwood, son of Asa and Lucy (Moser) Green-

347


BIOGRAPHY AND REMINISCENCES

wood, was born at Dublin, Cheshire county, N. H., December 18, 1826. His grandfather, Joshua, who married Hannah Twitchell, was a carpenter and mechanic, also his greatgrandfather, William, who worked there as early as 1762. The family dates back to Thomas Greenwood, who came to our shores in 1667, whose grandchildren were found in the ranks of the Revolution, and whose children protested prior to 1776 against British ignorance and tyranny. In 1853 Frederick R. and his father came to Knox county, and located land near Yates City; the father moving a few years later to Toulon and thence to his old home in New Hampshire, where he died July 16, 1876, leaving three sons--John, Frederick R. and William H. The first resides at Denver, Col., the second in Toulon township, and the last named lost his life while chief engineer on the Palmer & Sullivan R. R. survey, August 19, 1879, being shot from his horse. A son, named Herman, a master mechanic in railroad shops, died at Galesburg, Ill.; Maria married Whitney Tenney, of Orange, Mass., and Mary Ann died in youth. Frederick H. grew to manhood in Marlboro' county, N. Y.; there learned the builders' trade, but on coming here turned his attention to agriculture and fine stock growing, and in 1864 purchased his present farm of eighty acres. In 1854 he married here Miss Elizabeth, daughter of Herbert and Sarah (Kennedy) Blakely, who came from Marshall county, Ind. Of their two children, Onetta M. is the wife of James A. Jones, of Burlington Junction, Mo., who are the parents of three children; the other, Ora Blakely Greenwood, is a farmer. Mr. Greenwood, Sr., is a supporter of all churches, he has been a member of the district school board, and like most men who earned all they possess, is practical and broad-minded in everything.

Colonel W. H. Greenwood, born in Dublin, N. H., 1832, the engineer in charge of the Toulon division of the American Central R. R., and well known here, was murdered in Mexico, August 19, 1880. On May 28, 1882, Mrs. Mary, widow of Asa Greenwood died at Toulon. She was born at Dublin, N. H., in 1814, and in 1853 married, both coming to Stark county about 1854.

James Griffin, of Modena, died in August, 1865. He was an old settler.

Elder A. Gross preached in Toulon, in the court house, to the Baptist creed, in the years of 1855 and 1856, and assisted in building the Baptist church, and sent his four oldest children to the academy there, it being the only school where children could be taught the higher common school branches, nearer than Galesburg. One of the children is now Judge W. L. Gross, of Springfield. The Elder and his wife board with their daughter at Cathem ten miles from Springfield.

Robert Grieve, a prominent farmer of this township for almost forty years, was born in Roxburghshire, Scotland, September 27, 1826, emigrated in 1848, and settled on a tract of 145 acres. Section 5, Toulon township, which he purchased in 1849. As related in the marriage record, he married Miss Ellen Scott in 1856. This lady was born in the same shire May 27, 1830, and came to America in 1845. Since his marriage he increased his acreage to 429, together with about five acres of timber land, all beautifully situate on Jack Creek, which runs

348


OF TOULON TOWNSHIP.

through 150 acres. Mr. and Mrs. Grieve were the parents of eight children, five of whom are living. Janet, Ellen, Thomas A., and Christina reside at home, and William is married -- a resident of this township. The mother of this family died March 30, 1885, and was buried in Elmira cemetery. Mr. Grieve has served since its first organization as president of the Farmers' Mutual Insurance Co. Almost since the day of his settlement here he has been an earnest member of the United Presbyterian church, and clerk of the board of trustees of that body. To matters relating to education and all else bearing on the interests of the townships of Toulon and Elmira, and, indeed, of the county in general, he gives close attention. In political life the Republican party claims him as a member.

Thomas Hall, M. D., was born at Mansel Park, Derbyshire, England, May 12, 1805; married Miss Matilda Manifold, of Findern in that shire, May 14, 1829, and with his family of four children came to the United States in 1837, settled in Elmira township for a few years, moved to Toulon village in 1841, and resided there until his death, in 1876. Mrs. Shallenberger, his eldest child, speaks of him in her work, "Stark County and Her Pioneers," and from her history of the family the following is taken "Indeed, while he was yet quite young, it was decided to give him a thorough educational and professional training in the direction of medicine and surgery. So he was kept steadily at school after he had reached his eighth year, first at the village school of Hulland, where he acquired the rudiments of an education; from there at the age of ten, he was transferred to a sort of grammar school at West-Under-Wood; from there to Brailsford for the study of French and Latin; at fourteen he went for two years to a finishing school at Quarndon, and at sixteen was entered as an apprentice" (this being the law of the land) to Dr. Coleman of Wolverhampton for five years. Having now attained his majority, "he went to walk the hospital at Guys," and during the next two years in London, enjoyed the instruction of many eminent men, whose names have since become historical, especially in the archives of medical science. A few of these we may record as possessing a modicum of interest for the professional reader, should any such honor these pages with a perusal. "On Materia Medica and Therapeutics" the lecturer was Thomas Addison, M. D., on "The Principles and Practice of Physic," John Armstrong. On the diploma granted to Thomas Hall, by "The Royal College of Surgeons" in 1828 are the signatures of Sir Astley Cooper and plain "John Abernethy." In 1850, Rush Medical College conferred on Thomas Hall, in view of the high testimonials he had brought with him from his native laud, and his long experience in western practice, an "honorary degree" constituting him "Doctor of Medicine," "done at Chicago, Illinois, February 7th, 1850." Thus, it may be seen the doctor holds in his hands the best credentials of both lands; but perhaps no man ever lived who valued such honors less, or cared less for distinction of any kind. When he came to Illinois in 1837, he brought with him not only a thorough acquaintance with his profession, but the prestige of nearly ten years successful practice at home; to these advantages may be added an abounding vitality, giving

349


BIOGRAPHY AND REMINISCENCES

powers of endurance far beyond the average of men. Then he brought with him a library of choice medical works and surgical instruments of the most approved pattern then known, to meet every emergency. Coming thus equipped, to a new and growing state, what opportunities for professional distinction and ultimate wealth loomed up before him, had he been gifted with even ordinary ambition. But this he had not. He built him a cabin and settled down in the obscurity of Osceola Grove; and although the finest lands could still be held by pre-emption, and afterwards came into market and were sold at $1.25 per acre, yet he never bought one, although from the date of his settlement he had a large practice, soon kept four or five horses and rode almost constantly. In 1840, when sickness here assumed a very fatal type, dysentery and typhoid fevers prevailing to a frightful extent, he rode on horseback for nine successive weeks, eighty miles one day and fifty-six the other, alternately. In 1846, he and his partner, Dr. Chamberlain, treated fifteen hundred cases of fever and ague or kindred diseases, using in their practice that season eighty ounces of quinine or its equivalent, in the shape of the extract of Peruvian bark. When advised by his family or friends in those days to collect his dues and invest them in something for future resource, he would turn away with a smile saying, "Don't bother me about such trifles, I am laying up treasures in heaven!"

But while thus indifferent to pecuniary rewards, he was by no means insensible to the approval, or gratitude of his patients. No man ever more highly appreciated the beaming smile or moistened eye, that must sometimes reveal, especially to a physician, emotion too deep for utterance, or treasured in a warmer heart the memory of grateful words and generous deeds! * * * * Rather than disappoint the sick whom he knew would be watching anxiously for his coming he encountered all sorts of personal perils and discomforts--braved all dangers, buffetting with the fierce storm at midnight on the snow-covered pathless prairie, swimming swollen rivers, sometimes with the thermometer so low that he was encased in an inflexible armor of ice, five minutes after he had emerged from the flood. For some of the most desperate of these exploits he rather seems to enjoy saying, "I never received a cent." Of late years, when to our view death seemed hovering very near him, he would refer to a little incident that occurred long ago, in his native land, but which has no doubt colored more or less his whole life. When, as he relates, having won his diploma, he was about leaving home to begin life and practice for himself, his mother followed him to the gate, and laying her hand lovingly on his shoulder said, "Tom, do your duty by all, but especially remember the poor;" and he would add, "I am not afraid to meet my mother, for she knows I have done as she told me."

But we must not particularize, or this sketch, which was intended should be brief, will grow into a volume. Dr. Hall was married May 14th, 1829, to Miss Matilda Manifold, of Findern, Derbyshire, England. This lady was our mother, and we have lost her all too lately to discuss with any appearance of impartiality (if that was desirable) her life and character. Her memory is enshrined in the

350


OF TOULON TOWNSHIP.

hearts of her friends; we leave it with them alone, knowing this would be her desire could she be consulted; for few ever shrank more instinctively from public gaze than she. Her inner life was a sealed casket, not many had the privilege of unlocking. Let a reverential silence veil its treasures still! Her children can never estimate their indebtedness to her, not only for the mere fact of existence, which sometimes in this uncertain world is rather a questionable boon, or for the mother's love she gave them all; but for that "well of English undefiled," which her conversation always supplied, and for even a tithe of the mental acuteness and physical vigor she possessed. She left us August 8,1874, in the seventy-second year of her age, yet, as another truly said, "she died as the young die," with all her faculties in full play, as if with her, it was yet life's morning! The children of this marriage are in the order of their ages. 1st, Eliza, the writer of this little volume; 2nd, Harriet M., wife of P. M. Blair, Esq.; 3d, Mary S., who rests beside her mother; 4th, Henry M. Hall, present editor and proprietor of the Red Oak New Era; 5th, Dr. Walter Thomas Hall, successor to his father's home and honors; 6th, Louisa, wife of Mr. John C. Emery, now of Ottumwa, Iowa; 7th, James Knox Hall, at present following his trade, that of a printer at Cambridge, Ill.

We may remark in passing, that of these children, the first four were born in England, prior to the emigration, the three remaining ones being native Illinoisans. Mrs. Emery was the first child ever born in the town of Toulon, to which place the family removed soon after the site was surveyed, and have resided within its limits since July 6, 1842.

As we write that date, memory reproduces with wonderful fidelity, the picture of that summer morning, so long ago. We had been up since dawn, marking with charcoal the logs in our big cabin, preparatory to taking them out of their places, and loading them on the wagons, which would soon be waiting for them. By six o'clock the family had breakfasted, the teams were arriving, and the bustle of moving began in earnest. Think of it reader, not only the contents of the house and all the appurtenances of a large family to be packed and loaded, but the house itself to be taken down and prepared for a journey to Toulon! We can see the teams, many of them consisting of four horses, as they drew up around the scene of our labors. They had come from Spoon river, from Wethersfield, from Lafayette and Walnut creek, "to help the doctor move." We could give you the names of the drivers - true pioneers every one of them, not a laggard among them all; but our readers would not know them, for they have nearly all taken a longer journey since that time, from which they never returned. But finally the last load started, even Peter Miner's laugh was lost in the lengthening distance, and silence settled upon the hill, where for five years there had been a busy happy home, ringing with the voices of children, and the patter of little feet. But we looked our farewells to the spot, and not without tears set our faces in another direction. We were soon on the open prairie, and towards evening reached our destination, the house of Mr. Benjamin Turner,

351


BIOGRAPHY AND REMINISCENCES

who in those days kept a sort of hotel for the accommodation of the public. The cabin had undergone a second 'raising,' the roof was partly on and we could say we had already a home in Toulon."

J. Knox Hall, son of Dr. Thomas and Matilda (Mannifold) Hall, was born at Toulon, April 20, 1848. Here he received a practical common school education, and in 1863 entered mercantile life, in which he continued four years. Next entering the office of the New Era with his brother, Henry M. Hall, he acquired a thorough knowledge of typography, and held a position "at the case," on the News for three years, and was connected with the newspaper press up to April, 1886, when he received the first postmaster's commission issued to Illinois by the present executive. On April 30, 1881, when the firm of T. H. Blair and W. E. Nixon, publishers of the Stark County Sentinel, dissolved, he purchased T. H. Blair's interest, and with Mr. Nixon took hold of this journal. To him in greatest measure is due the prompt success which waited on the Sentinel, of which paper he became sole proprietor in 1882. On January 1, 1884, Gus Hulsizer purchased a half interest, and the firm of Hall & Hulsizer conducted the Sentinel until February 13, 1885, when the present owner and editor, Mr. Hulsizer, purchased Mr. Hall's interest therein. He was married to Miss Eva Ardell, daughter of the late B. F. Young; they are the parents of one daughter, Eva Mannifold Hall. He has been in public life almost continuously since 1869, and though an aggressive politician and outspoken Democrat, has received many acts of public kindness from men of every political faith. Mr. Hall is a Royal Arch Mason, a member of the Blue Lodge and its Worshipful Master at the present time. (Vide sketch of Dr Thomas Hall; also History of Elmira township).

Mrs. Mary M. Hammett, who resided at Wyoming from 1873 to '75, died at Peoria, November 29, 1879.

John and Mary Hanes came from Warrenton, Ohio, to Wyoming in 1867.

Richard Hardin, aged sixty-three, died at his home, Princeville, July 27, 1886. He had been a resident near Princeville since 1840.

Mrs. Harty, mother of Andrew and Dominic Harty, died March, 1886.

Sarah M. (Cassky) Hazzard married William Hazzard, of West Jersey in 1866, died at Winona, Minn., in 1885.

Augustus G. Hammond, son of Gideon and Nancy (Chandler) Hammond, was born at Westport, Essex County, N. Y., January 27, 1834. The family dates back to the beginning of Welsh immigration. Gideon Hammond, referred to above, was a farmer and lumber dealer in New York State, and a member of the legislature of that State for over fifteen years. The fact of his service during the war of 1812, particularly at the battle of Plattsburg, his honesty, integrity and unswerving fidelity to principle, contributed much toward his popularity, but his unselfish, wise course in the legislature won repeatedly for him his legislative honors. A. G. Hammond moved to Wisconsin in 1848, making his first western home at Waukesha, in that State. Shortly after he moved to Farmington, Ill., and thence, in 1850, to

352


OF TOULON TOWNSHIP.

Stark County. Since his settlement here he has filled a large place in the economic and social little republic of Stark County. A reference to the school history of Essex Township, and of Wyoming village, points out at once his connection with our schools. In 1862 he was commissioned Justice of the Peace. In 1874 he was elected representative on the Republican ticket by 591 majority over Davis Lowman, the A. M. R. candidate, and since that time has received repeated tokens of public confidence. From 1850 to 1865 he was engaged in farming or school teaching. In the latter year he entered mercantile life at Wyoming, and in less than twenty years built up one of the largest mercantile interests in the county. In October, 1853, he married Miss Cecilia B. Wynkoop, of Chemung County, N. Y. They are the parents of Harry A., a graduate of Winona, Minnesota, High School, and the Davenport Business College, and for the last ten years cashier in Scott & Wrigley’s bank, Wyoming, Ill.; Will W., a graduate of Knox College, Galesburg, Ill., who is now practicing law at Peoria, Ill., where in the space of ten years he has reached a lucrative practice, and Mary Louisa, now at home. In the history of Wyoming, the part taken by Mr. Hammond and family in social matters and otherwise is set forth concisely. (Vide Political history)

Charles Hartley, born in Yorkshire, England, February 7, 1822, is the son of George and Elizabeth Hartley, who came to America some years later and settled in Virginia. Charles remained ta the old home in Yorkshire, where he grew to manhood, and learned agriculture. In 1853 he came to the United States with his wife and four children, and located here on section 28, where he purchased eighty acres which have been handsomely improved. His wife was Ann Hamshaw, daughter of Joseph and Mary Hamshaw, of the same shire. Their children are Elizabeth, wife of W. P. Caverly; George, a farmer here; Mary, wife of Monroe Guyre, and Moses, a farmer of Harvard, Clay county, Neb. Their children born here are Joseph, a farmer in Inland, Clay county, Neb; Jennie, deceased; Thomas, a farmer here; and Delphine and William, residing at home. They have twelve grandchildren. He supports all denominations, avoids public life, but has served on the school board of his district. Mr. Hartley has 480 acres joining his old farm and 160 acres in Adams county, Neb. He is a member of the Stark county Agricultural Society. His herd of Holsteins is considerd [sic] one of the best in the military tract.

George Hartley, born in Yorkshire, England, August 21, 1846, is the son of Charles and Ann (Hamshaw) Hartley, came with his parents to Illinois and grew to manhood in this county. He was married here in 1873 to Miss Mary Ann, daughter of James and Elizabeth (Smith) Fraser. James Fraser was a native of Blythe, Northumberland county, near Newcastle onthe Tyne, England, and a son of James Fraser and Mary Ann Robinson, the former a native of Scotland, and the latter, of England. Elizabeth (Smith) Fraser, was a native of Pennsylvania, and there Mrs. Hartley was born in De Vosburg. Her father, James Fraser, came to Stark county in 1857, accompanied by Thomas Tunsall, who died in 1865, and leasing coal land on section fourteen, opened a mine there. In 1858 they worked on section twenty-three and took out

353


BIOGRAPHY AND REMINISCENCES

1000 tons of coal, or one-fourth the total product of the year. In 1859 he went to Colorado, whither the family moved in 1860. They subsequently returned to Stark county, but in 1874 removed to Colorado, where they have lived since. Mr. and Mrs. Hartley are the parents of three sons and one daughter, Lenora, James C., Marion A. and Lee R. He supports the Christian church, of which Mrs. Hartley is a member. He is a member of the Stark county Agricultural Society, and is largely interested in stock-growing and agriculture.

James P. Headley, born in this township, March 10, 1842, is a son of James and Sarah (Finley) Headley, who moved from Ohio to this county in 1839 and settled south of Toulon. They were married in 1819, seven years after the settlement of the Finley family in Ohio, of which family she was the last member. She was born in Fayette county, Pa., in 1800, and died at Toulon, June 11, 1886, thirty-five years after her husband's death. This family consisted of six sons and four daughters, namely: Wilson and Matilda, deceased; Craig, who died in Toulon township, leaving a widow, now Mrs. John Reed, and a family of one son, Walter Headley, of Lafayette; John, a carpenter, of Toulon, the head of a family; Elizabeth, wife of Matthew Rounds, of Toulon; William M., of Pawnee City, Neb.; Alex. B. died here, leaving a family of one son and one daughter; Mary, wife of David Crum; James P. and Milton, a brick manufacturer, who has a family of six children; the four latter served in the war of the Rebellion, as shown in the military chapter. James P. Headley spent his boyhood on the farm and grew to manhood there. He carried on farming until 1862, when he enlisted in Company F., One-hundred-and-twelfth Illinois Volunteer Infantry. He served for three years, until honorably discharged, in 1865. Returning to his home, he resumed agricultural life and was engaged in farming until 1875, when he purchased the Toulon brickyards, and has carried on this business, always keeping pace with his increasing trade. He employs, during the season of brick-making, eleven men, giving support to eleven families. The material produced is all pressed brick, made exclusively for building purposes; has built large sheds and introduced many improvements for mixing, moulding and drying, among them being the "Martin machine." The yards occupy four acres, and produce about 500,000 brick per season. Mr. Headley married Miss Catherine Kendall, of Ashland, O., and to them one son was born, James Anson (now train dispatcher of Keokuk, Ia.), who married Miss Minnie Madison, of Ottumwa, Ia., a native of that town. James P. Headley is a member of W. W. Wright post, G. A. R. He has always taken an active part in the affairs of the agricultural society, of the township and of the town, and is now serving his second term, as a member of the council of Toulon.

George Harvey, born in 1803, settled in Ohio in 1834, and in Stark county, Illinois, in 1850. His death took place August 14, 1884.

John Hawkes, son of John and Margaret (Robinson) Hawkes, was born near Valley Forge, Chester county, Pennsylvania, February 27, 1834. His father was a farmer of that county, and was born in the same house where Capt. Hawkes first saw light. His grandfather, John Hawkes, who is credited with Revolutionary service, was de-

354


OF TOULON TOWNSHIP.

scended from Adam Hawkes, who settled in Massachusetts in 1640, where many of the family still reside, and the old homestead still remains in their possession. This branch of the Hawkes family made a settlement in York State prior to moving into Pennsylvania. The Robinsons were among the early Irish or Scotch-Irish settlers of the Quaker faith in the Susquehanna country. Capt. Hawkes moved with his parents to Philadelphia about 1839. There his father died, leaving his son to hew out his course through life. After working on a farm for some time he learned the carpenters trade. In 1854 he came to Wyoming, and in 1857 married Miss Augusta E., daughter of Edward and Huldah (Hammond) Colburn. In 1861 he enlisted in Company K, 47th Illinois Volunteer Infantry, was advanced gradually from private to Second-lieutenant, and received honorable discharge on account of disability in April, 1864. He resided in Knox county the succeeding two years, moved to Galva, where he lived until 1869, when he returned to Wyoming and established his hardware and agricultural implement store. This he carried on alone until 1875, then he took ni [sic] as partner W. H. Barrett, and did business under the firm name of Hawkes & Barrett until 1883, since which time he has devoted his attention to settling up the business of the firm. His children are Lillian, wife of Alfred N. Walters, residing near Kearney, Neb.; Kate Estelle, a graduate of Carroll College, Waukesha, Wis., and John De W., a student of the same college, now of Beloit College, Wis. Mr. H. was one of the original members of the Congregational church of Wyoming, of De Wolf Post, and Post Chaplain, also a member of the Oddfellow's Lodge, and a member of the Encampment. He has always given ready support to all agricultural measures, and is classed among the most active members of the Republican party. A reference to the history of Wyoming and Toulon townships will point out the part he has taken in social and political matters. His recent nomination to succeed Orlando Brace as County Treasurer is an enviable testimonial. His election followed as a consequence, and in December, 1886, he moved to the County Seat. The name is associated with many of the modern buildings of Wyoming, and of the county, as architect, the school, Congregational church and fair buildings there being built after his plans.

William H Henderson was born in Garrard county, Ky., November 16, 1793, of which state his parents were among the pioneers. In 1812 he enlisted in Col. Johnson's "Kentucky Mounted Riflemen," and with this command was present at the battle of the Thames, in Canada, October 5, 1813, where he aided in crushing Proctor's entire English army and Indian auxiliaries. After this campaign, he moved to Dover, Tenn, where he married Miss Lucinda Wimberly in January, 1816. He was elected sheriff there, and filled others positions until 1823, when he moved to what is now Haywood county, Tenn., of which he was first recorder. Here his wife died, at Brownsville, and here also his parents died. In 1835, he was senator in the State Legislature, which position he resigned in 1836, and on July 2d of that year settled on the Leek claim south of Toulon. In spirit he was an Illinois man prior to that year, for in 1831 he selected lands near

355


BIOGRAPHY AND REMINISCENCES

Ottawa, on Indian creek, and in 1832 sent on his father, mother, his son, John W., his wife's two brothers, and Robert Norris, a hired man, to improve this claim, intending to move there himself the next year, but the Black Hawk war, the murder of Robert Norris, and the dispersion of the family dissuaded him from settling there. No sooner was he settled here than the pioneers realized his value, and looked up to him for political guidance. His house was a hospitable refuge for judges, lawyers, preachers, and all classes of travelers, and, until the court-house at Toulon was completed, might be called the "County Court-house of Stark." In 1845, he took the census of Stark county, and with the sum realized from this labor purchased a horse to complete a team for the transfer of his family to Johnson county, Ia., where he settled in November of that year. Like many patriots of the revolution and of 1812, he was too unselfish to amass riches: in business, enterprise carried him too far; but in social honor he was always right, and with a name for honor he died January 27, 1864. Mrs. Sarah Murphy (Howard) Henderson, to whom he was married November 6, 1823, was born in Sampson county, N. C., September 15, 1804. To his first wife three children were born; Mary A., who died in 1834. John D. and William P. were intimately connected with the early progress of Illinois. To his second wife, one daughter and five sons were born; the former died in infancy, while the sons-- Thomas J., Henry C., Stephen H., Daniel W., and James A.-- lived to become leading citizens of this county and district.

John W. Henderson came to Stark county with his father in 1836, and was here married by Jonathan Miner to Miss Mary Perry, October 25. 1840. This lady died some years later. He subsequently married Elizabeth, daughter of Capt. Butler, of Wyoming, and settled at Cedar Rapids, Ia., of which state his brother, William P., is also a resident.

Henry C. Henderson, who married Miss Ianthe Fuller, of Elmira, in 1850, was clerk in the United States Treasury department from 1849 to 1852. The year after, he moved to Rock Island, and in 1856, to Marshalltown, Ia., of which state he was senator in 1863, and a Republican presidential elector in 1864. He has the reputation of being as able a lawyer as he is a politician.

Stephen H. Henderson, now a minister of the Methodist Episcopal church, was a member of the Illinois bar. In 1862, he entered Company A, Twenty-fourth Iowa Infantry, and was promoted colonel of the Forty-fourth Iowa Infantry. After the war he resumed his ministerial work. Daniel W., his brother, served as lieutenant in the Twenty-second Iowa Infantry; was wounded at Port Gibson.

James A. Henderson, whose name occurs in almost every chapter of the General History, was also a soldier, serving in Company K, Forty-seventh Illinois Infantry. His first wife was Miss Burdell Turner, of Hennepin, a grand-daughter of Capt. Butler, of Wyoming. In later years he married Miss Frank Dewey, of Toulon, who survives him.

Mrs. Ann Heywood, the second child of Edmund and Alice (Howarth) Wrigley, was born October 26, 1819 and remained at her father's

356


OF TOULON TOWNSHIP.

home in England until twenty-six years of age. Her early life was spent as a mill operative, when she was married to Thomas Heywood, the son of John and Jane Heywood. He was born at Heywood, England, in the year 1820, where his father was a manufacturer of cotton. The family was one much interested in religious affairs, John Heywood establishing the first Sunday school in the town, and when he died had been a member of the Methodist church for fifty years. He was eighty-four at the time of his death. His wife also died at an advanced age. (Vide history of Wrigley family.)

Thomas Heywood learned the carpenter's trade and at the age of twenty-six, was married to Miss Ann Wrigley. For some eleven years after, they remained in England and then emigrating to America, settled at Wyoming in 1856, where Mr. Heywood continued his trade. Here his home was made, keeping his business improved with the times until 1863, when they removed to a farm in Penn township, where, after but five days of illness, he died in 1868, in his forty-ninth year. He had been a prominent member of the Methodist church from boyhood and an ardent worker in the temperance cause, having been a member of the Reccabite society, a temperance organization in England. At the time of his decease, he had just been admitted to a membership in the masonic fraternity. For thirteen years after her husband's death, Mrs. H. remained upon the farm. In 1881 she returned to Wyoming, where she has since resided. The family consisted of seven children, Jennie, Mrs. B. F. Rockhold, of Bradford; Edward, died from the effects of a fall while engaged in sport, breaking his back in two places. He was twenty-two years of age. Emma, who married W. M. Pilgrim, of Bradford, is deceasedd; Thomas, a farmer of Penn township; Alice, Mrs. G. E. Scott, of Penn township; Annie M. and Mary E., both teachers in the Wyoming schools. Mrs. Wood and all her children are members of the Congregational church and a family that stand high in the esteem of all.

Richard Hight, son of George and Anna (Malloy) Hight, was born at Lick Ridges, Huntingdon county, Pa., June 26, 1837. At the age of seventeen years, Mr. Hight visited Springfield, Ill., returned to Pennsylvania, walking from Pittsburg to his home--forty-one miles--in one day; but in 1854 resolved to make the west his home, and settled in Stark county. From 1854 to 1857 he worked here by the month. In 1858 he ventured farming for himself, but this first venture was unsuccessful on account of the June and September frosts. He sold his corn crop on the field for $48, moved to Mossville, engaged in hauling wood and boarding choppers, earned enough that winter to make a second venture, and returned to Stark in 1839. In 1864 he purchased eighty acres of the Beckwith farm in Penn township, from Scott & Wrigley, in 1867 added another eighty acre tract and in 1883 purchased 160 acres from Ansil Sims. This last purchase he sold in 1884 to the Parker brothers; bought his present town house in 1884, and in 1886 purchased five acres in Wyoming. On coming here in 1857 he married Miss Ann, a daughter of Daniel and Mary Bunnell, pioneers of Penn township, who came here from the Wyoming Valley in 1846. This lady was born in Wyoming county, Pa., in 1840, and

357


BIOGRAPHY AND REMINISCENCES

accompanied her parents to Stark county, Ill. They are the parents of one son and four daughters Irene, wife of Charles Ingram, of Wyoming; Minnie, wife of James Hess; Eva, wife of Daniel Dockendorf, of Iowa; Clarence, a farmer on the homestead, married Miss Lizzie Stansbury, of Brimfield, and Ella, residing at home. In 1875 the family moved to Wyoming where Mr. Hight purchased the brick cottage or Dana cottage, opposite the Truax House. He has served as township collector in Penn and for sixteen years was school director of district No. 9 there. For each of his children he provided a good education, and has always been a strong supporter of the common school system. He relates with manly pride that on coming here he expended his last twenty-five cents for breakfast at Henry.

William Holgate, son of the late James Holgate, was born on the "Holgate homestead" April 15, 1844. He received a practical education in the school of the district, and at the age of eighteen years, August, 1862, enlisted in Company E, One Hundred and Twelfth Illinois Volunteer Infantry, followed the fortunes of that command for three years, and received an honorable discharge in July, 1865. Returning to his home he followed agricultural life until 1876, when he purchased the interests of W. M. Miner & Co., and engaged in the banking business at Wyoming, conducting the Farmer's Bank there until 1882, when he organized the First National Bank of Wyoming, and was its president until it ceased business under that name. On January 8, 1885, he was married to Miss Charlotte A., daughter of Alexander Kissinger, a worthy old settler of Penn Township, and among the Swiss pioneers of the county, the lady herself being a native of that township. They are the parents of three children--Carrie, Cora M. and Katie C. Mr. Holgate is a member of DeWoIf Post, G. A. R., of the blue lodge at Wyoming since the war, and of the chapter. He was a member of the Stark County Agricultural Society, and one of the original stockholders in the Central Agricultural Society. The task before him of filling his father's place in the economy of the county is a difficult one, but not beyond the ability of the son to accomplish (vide history of Holgate family and settlement in chapter on Penn Township.)

George E. Holmes was born in Philadelphia, Pa., January 8, 1840. His father, Robert, was born in Antrim County, Ireland, September 13, 1813, and his grandfather George was also a native of that county, and married Rose Pearson there. The mother of George E., was born in Tyrone County, in May, 1810. Grandfather Holmes and family came to Philadelphia about 1836, and worked at the tailor's trade there. Of his seven children, John, born in 1808, died December 20, 1879; Eliza, who married Lazarus Holmes, died at Kewanee; Rose Ann is the wife of Robert Patterson, and Robert Holmes came to this county in March of 1855. During this year he purchased 160 acres of land on Section 9, this township, and was engaged in agriculture there until the spring of 1878, when he sold his interest in the land and moved to Toulon village. Of his six children, three died at Philadelphia, and three came to this county, namely: George E., Mary, now Mrs. John H. Brown, and Robert, a farmer of Buena Vista County, Iowa. George E., re-

358

©Produced by Lori Laird for ILGenWeb