OF TOULON TOWNSHIP.
ceived what education he could until he was twelve years old, in his native city. On coming here with his father in 1855, he engaged in agriculture. On October 13, 1864, he married Miss Margaret, daughter of Captain David and Malinda (Edwards) Haacke, of Fulton County, and this union has been blessed by nine children, namely: William H., Lovel S., David W., Effie, Mary E., Edward E., Maggie, Robert and Lyman, all residing with their parents. Shortly after his marriage he purchased eighty acres on Section 10, near the family homestead, to which he has since added 240 acres. For twenty years he has served as school director of his district, filled the office of collector, and, as related in the history of the American Presbyterian Church of Elmira, has, like Mrs. Holmes and son, been a consistent member of that society. In political life he is a Republican; but the agricultural interests of the county and his own, claim his attention before politics. His father-in-law, Capt. Haacke, to whom is credited in the history of Penn Township, the sketch of Cooper's Defeat Creek, and whose reminiscences are quoted in other chapters, came from Canada to Peoria, and after a time there, to a point ten miles southwest of Canton, Ill., in 1821; was captain of militia in the Black Hawk War, and may be said to have witnessed the upheaval of the whole State, from the wilderness to the rank of one of the first in the Union. The Captain's wife is Miss Edwards, of Kentucky, also a pioneer of Illinois.
John Hook, son of Jacob and Catherine Hook, who came to this country from Switzerland, about 1834, and settled in Niagara county, N. Y., was born in Germany in 1832, was raised on his father's farm in York state, and in 1856, his parents, one son and three daughters came west to join his other daughter in Minnesota, and visit the subject of this sketch, who came here in 1854. Of this family he is the only survivor, on coming here he established himself on a farm and was engaged in agriculture until 1873, when he founded his livery business at Toulon, and carried it on with marked success until his retirement in January, 1885. Here he was married to Nancy Jane Swarts, daughter of Andrew Swarts, who came to this county from Ohio about 1838. They are the parents of three children, Mrs. Laura Edson, of Galva; Mrs. Belle Worley, of Toulon; and Frank Nook, proprietor of the Follett house livery stables. Mr. Hook has been a member of the I. O. O. F. lodge here for ten years; a member of the Stark county Agricultural Society, and a supporter of everything which gives promise of benefit to his county. In church matters he wishes to support every Christian denomination.
Frank C. Hook, son of John and Nancy Jane (Swarts) Hook, was born in Toulon township, May 1, 1856; received a common school education here and for some years was engaged in farming, and subsequently carried on a meat market. In 1885 he established his now extensive livery business. He was married here to Miss Bessie, daughter of Henry Byatt. They are the parents of two children--Freddy and Eva. Whether in business or outside business, Mr. Hook is always genial. Here, where he was raised and educated, he is a favorite with all and is singularly well endowed with a fund of common sense much above the average of young men.
BIOGRAPHY AND REMINISCENCES
W. H. Hoover, L. D. S., born in Belmont county, Ohio, in 1838, is son of Jacob and Phoebe Fraser Hoover, who came to Illinois in 1853. His father was a blacksmith, and with him W. H. Hoover worked at blacksmithing and farming, until he selected his profession, when he entered the office of James F. Hoover, L. D. S., of Washington, Ill., and practiced at Washington until 1875, when he established his office at Wyoming. He was married near Lawn Ridge, Marshall county, Ill., to Miss Lovina Booth, daughter of Jacob and Louisa Booth, who settled in Peoria county, Ill., in 1835; coming from Delaware county, New York state. Mr. Booth died March 3, 1876 in his eighty-second year, while Jacob Hoover resides at Lawn Ridge, now in his ninetieth year. Dr. Hoover and wife are the parents of two sons and two daughters-Julia, wife of Frank Thomas, a lawyer, of Wyoming; Sandford, Harry and Mary E. One son and two daughters are numbered among the dead. Dr. Hoover supports the Methodist church, of which his wife is a member.
Augustus Hulsizer, son of Abner and Mary E. (Correll) Hulsizer, was born at Broadway, Warren county, N. J., December 24, 1842. His father is a native of Washington, N. J. and mother, of Middlebury, Vt. The family moved from New Jersey to Illinois in 1852, and settled on the Hulsizer farm (which he bought at $3.25 per acre, and sold the quarter section for $11,000 in 1877 to S. R. Hazen). In 1877 the family moved to Toulon, buying their present residence from Edward Nixon, who built the house. Of their children, Gustavus, George, who died in infancy, William and James were born in New Jersey; Mrs. Mary E. Emery, and Mrs. Sarah Elizabeth Hubbell, now of Galva, were born in West Jersey township. Augustus Hulsizer was educated in the schools of Kewanee, and at Eastman's commercial college, Chicago. He graduated from the latter school in 1868. He was subsequently engaged on the homestead farm for seven years, when he moved to Toulon, and for the four succeeding years earned very fair money by his penmanship. From 1879 to 1883 he was engaged in the boot and shoe business, founding the first and only exclusive store in that line ever established at Toulon. In 1883 he disposed of his interest in this store and purchased a half interest in the Stark County Sentinel, January 1, 1884. In the following year he purchased the entire interest in this journal, and has managed it in its several departments since with marked ability and success. Mr. Hulsizer was married September 16, 1869 to Miss Eva M., daughter of Lyman Standard, of West Jersey, an old settler of Fulton county, where his daughter was born. They are the parents of five children, namely: Zaidee V., born July 10, 1870; Olive B., born January 26, 1872; Mary M., born March 15, 1874; Maud A., born December 27, 1876, and Lulu V., born July 22, 1878, all of whom are attending the schools of Toulon. Mr. Hulsizer enlisted in the One Hundred and Thirty-fourth Illinois Volunteer Infantry, and was mustered in with the Kewanee company in 1863, followed the fortunes of this command for six months, reenlisted in the One Hundred and Twenty-fourth and served six months, and in the fall of 1864 served by transfer in the Thirty-third until close of war, when the command was mustered out at Springfield. He is a member of I. O. O. F. here
OF TOULON TOWNSHIP.
for the last seven years, of the G. A. R. Post since organization, and of I. O. G. T. He is an earnest temperance worker, has been for years a staunch republican, but now gives his moral and journalistic support to the prohibition p arty.
Mrs. Jane (Wrigley) Ingham, born in Lancashire, England, came to the United States in 1856, and shortly after married Mr. Ingham, died in October, 1878.
Mrs. Ellen Jackson, who was one of the old settlers of Toulon, died here in September, 1884, aged seventy-five years.
Wm. S. Johnson, formerly a resident of Toulon, died at Peoria, January 12, 1869.
Henry S. Johnson, born at Toulon December 12, 1865, died at Seneca, Kans., May 15, 1884.
Peyton Pate Johnson, son of James A. and Mildred (Pate) Johnson, was born in Fairfield township, Highland county, Ohio, September 17, 1816. The family settled in Bedford county, Va., at the close of the war of 1812, moved ultimately to Highland county, Ohio, where the father died April 19, 1845, and the mother in October, 1860, both being interred in the family cemetery in Highland county, Ohio, where also rest the remains of grandparents on father's side of the family. Of his father's family--eight sons and two daughters--himself and one sister survive. Peyton may be said to have resided in Ohio until 1854, although in 1852 he purchased a half section of land in Goshen township, Stark county, Ill. In Ohio he learned the trade of blacksmith, under his brother, John H. Johnson, of Highland county, Ohio, and subsequently opened a shop for himself in Fayette county, whence he came to Illinois in 1854 with his wife, one son and three daughters. In that year he engaged in farming, and for over 28 years has been a prominent agriculturist of Stark county. On August 7, 1845, he married Miss Jane, daughter of Peter and Elizabeth Brown. This family moved to Ross county, Ohio, after the war of 1812, in which Peter Brown served. The children of this marriage numbered 9, of whom four sons and four daughters survived, namely: Mrs. Elizabeth M. Dexter, of Galva, who is the mother of four sons and two daughters; Peter A., farmer of Pawnee county, Neb.; Mary Ellen, wife of Joseph Walther, of Toulon; Agita Belle, wife of Wm. J. Sellon, of Knox county, who are the parents of one son and two daughters; Lyman T., a farmer of Pawnee county, Neb., who is married and the parent of two daughters; Roswell M., of Skidmore, Mo.; Lincoln, a student of literature, who was a school teacher in 1886, prior to entering Knox College and Plessie C. The one child numbered among the dead was named Elva Louisa. The Johnsons were of a Quaker family, but since 1845 this branch have belonged to the Methodist church. For years he has been a model temperance worker by example and association, a member of the Old Settlers' Association, and prior to 1882, an official of the M. E. church. He served as Justice of Peace six years, county coroner six years, and as school director or trustee for a number of years. From 1861 to 1865 he was an active worker in the Union cause, and throughout his whole life here an exemplary citizen. His residence
BIOGRAPHY AND REMINISCENCES
stands on a ten-acre lot, just north of fair grounds. In itself it bears out the reputation liberally accorded to him and to this family.
John Jordan, son of Charles and Elizabeth (Lyons) Jordan, was born near Zanesville, Muskingum county, O., February 20, 1832. His parents were natives of Pennsylvania, who in 1812 had resided in Muskingum and Vinton counties, Ohio, and migrated thence to Iowa. Returning east in 1857 they settled in Valley township, Stark county, Illinois, his father dying here June 17, 1883, aged 83 years, leaving two sons and two daughters. John Jordan received his early education in Ohio. He visited this county in 1852, and again in 1855, a year later, in 1856, settled in Valley township, where he was engaged in farming for several years, until his retirement in 1876, when he came to Wyoming, and four years later joined Sylvester F. Otman in their present extensive business. He was married in Ohio to Miss Frances .McCraw, a native of Vinton county, Ohio, and a daughter of Alexander McCraw, of that county. They are the parents of two sons and three daughters, namely: Julia E., wife of W. T. Dittman, of Valley township; Martha, who married S. M. Stancliff, of Iowa, now deceased; Robert C., in the lumber trade here, and Lavin E., at home. Mr. Jordan served in Company B., 7th Illinois Volunteer Infantry for six months as referred to in military chapter; served on the school board of his district in Valley township; was road commissioner and township supervisor. Since his settlement at Wyoming he served as supervisor four years, and is now representing Essex township on the County Board. He also served two years in the council of Wyoming. He is a member of DeWolf Post, and present Quarter-Master; a member of the Blue Lodge and Chapter and of the O. E. S.
George Kerns, the son of William and Mary (Drummond) Kerns, was born in Ross county, Ohio, January 6, 1838. When sixteen years of age he removed with his parents to Stark county, and for some six years remained upon the farm of his father, in Toulon township. At twenty-two years of age he was united in marriage to Miss Alice Wrigley, the daughter of Edmund and Alice (Howorth) Wrigley, whose sketch appears elsewhere. She was born at Hooleybridge, England, in 1839, and remained there until seventeen years of age, and then removed to America with her father, soon after her mother's death, settling with them in Stark county, and remained at her father's home until twenty-one years of age, and then, as before stated, was married to our subject. After their marriage they removed to their present farm, which at that time was a raw, unimproved place, and since have made their home here. Under the management of Mr. Kerns the prairie has changed to one of the pleasantest places in the township, and their beautiful home and neat surroundings attest the energy and thrift of the owner. But one child has been born to them, Minnie A., who still resides at home. Politically Mr. K. is a Republican, and a member of the Congregational church, as is also Mrs. K. and daughter. Mrs. K. is also a member of the Women's Missionary Association. The family is one widely known and very highly respected. Mr. Kerns possesses a farm of one hundred and twenty acres, within the corporation lines of Wy-
OF TOULON TOWNSHIP.
oming. Mr. Kerns' paternal grandparents were natives of Europe, and upon reaching manhood emigrated to Pennsylvania, whence they removed to Ross county, Ohio, about the year 1793, and purchased a large tract of land, and engaged in the raising of cattle, which he drove to Philadelphia, across the Allegheny mountains. While here he was married to Miss Sarah Winders. They removed to Ross county, Ohio, where he continued the raising of stock. Here he died in the year 1824, in his seventy-sixth year. His wife followed him several years later. William, the fifth child of the family, was born in Ross county, Ohio, in the year 1800, and lived upon the farm of his father until 1823, when he took as his wife Miss Mary Drummond, the daughter of Benjamin and Ann (Kerns) Drummond, who was born in Philadelphia in the year 1807. Her parents were natives of New Jersey. She was born 1778 and he about 1775. From New Jersey they removed to Pennsylvania and settled in Philadelphia, where he followed his business as a marble cutter. From Philadelphia they removed to Ohio, Ross county, where he died about the year 1837, in his sixty-third year. His wife lived until 1852, when she also died, aged seventy-four. The family consisted of eight children, three of whom still live, and but two in Stark county, Mary and Benjamin. Mary, the mother of our subject, remained at home until her marriage to the father of our subject. They remained in Ross county, where Mr. K. was a farmer and stock raiser, until 1853, when they removed to Stark county and settled in Wyoming, but removed to a farm in Valley township, some eight years later. Here, in 1872, Mr. Kerns died after a short sickness. After her husband's death Mrs. K. remained upon the farm until 1885, when she has made her home with her children, of whom she had nine, six still living, four in Stark county: Abner in Essex township, our subject in Toulon township, James in Essex, and Richard in Essex township. Mary resides in Springfield, Ill., David in Kansas. Mrs. Kerns has been an active member of the Methodist church over seventy-two years. Benjamin Drummond was born in Philadelphia in 1805. Removed to Ohio with his parents, where he was married in 1829, and for five years remained in Ohio, and then in 1834 removed to Stark county, and since has resided here, excepting some three years which he spent in Ohio. Since 1860 he has made his home in Wyoming. Eleven children came to his home, nine of whom still live; one boy dying in the army and one other entirely losing his health. Mr. D. is a strong Republican, never voting but for one Democrat (Jackson), and has voted at every Presidential election since 1827. His first wife was Polly Cox, who died in 1865, having become the mother of ten of his children. His second wife was Jane Donald, who bore him one child, dying in 1871. His present wife was Mrs. Margaret Johnson, who for twenty-two years has been a resident of Stark county. Mr. Drummond has been a member of the Methodist church some sixty-five years, and has never been drunk in his life nor used profanity.
Martin Keran, an old resident of Toulon, died November 18, 1867.
James Kinney, for several years a Stark county teacher, now resides at Chillicothe.
BIOGRAPHY AND REMINISCENCES
Mrs. Maria Kightlinger, sister of Messrs. John and Carson Berfield, died at her home in Yates City, July 16, 1886, aged eighty-one years. She, with her husband, came from Pennsylvania to this county in 1837, living here two years, when they moved on a farm of their own in Knox county, where they lived until about ten years ago, when they moved to Yates City.
Wesley King, son of John and Rachel (Hixon) King, was born in Fayette county, Ohio. August 18, 1821. His father was a native of Loudoun county, Va., who at eighteen years of age located in Ohio, and accepted a call as preacher of the Methodist church. His grandfather was Reuben King, of Virginia, a farmer and official of Loudoun county; while his mother, Rachel, was a daughter of Timothy Hixon, of Ross county, Ohio. Wesley King was educated in Fayette county. On November 11, 1841, he married Miss Eliza, daughter of Peter and Eliza (Bateman) Brown, of that county, who moved thither from Virginia, where Mrs. King was born. Their children are, Salenia, wife of Thomas C. Hepperly, of Ringgold county, Iowa; Albert W., engaged in mercantile work; Isaiah, a farmer of Penn township; Peter, a farmer of Burlington, Coffee county, Kan.; Alice, wife of J. W. Clarke, of that county; James E, merchant, Wyoming, Ill.; John W., a merchant of Quitman, Mo.; Elizabeth A., wife of W. R. Terpening, of Geneseo, Ill.; Alvaretta, wife of Alonzo Pettit, of Quitman, Mo. Their grandchildren number twenty-five. Mr. King was born and raised on the farm cleared by his father. In 1847, he and Mrs. King moved to Hardin county, Ohio, where he farmed until 1854, when he moved to Wyoming with his family, purchased land in Valley township, which he sold and bought a farm on section 30, Penn township, in 1860, and was an active agriculturalist and grower of fine stock there until his retirement in March, 1879. For years, in fact, since his settlement here, he has identified himself with the old and new agricultural societies. He has been a prominent member of the Methodist church since 1842, has served in township offices and on the school board of his district.
Albert W. King, son of Wesley and Eliza (Brown) King, was born in Fayette county, Ohio, November 2, 1846. (Vide sketch of Wesley King, in this chapter.) He came with his parents from Hardin county, Ohio, to Stark county, Ill., in the spring of 1851, arriving at what was then known as the "Adam Day Farm," in Valley township, on April 24, and received a practical education in this county; at the age of sixteen years took charge of a district school two years later he visited Independence, Mo., and entered Ezra Brown's store there, where he worked for one year. This Mr. Brown was his uncle, who took extra pains to teach his young visitor the principles of Missouri trade. On returning to Stark county, he took charge of a school; again was clerk in the employ of Scott & Wrigley, whose interest he, with Sylvester F. Otman, purchased February 1, 1869. This partnership continued until April 23, 1874. On June 1, following, he embarked in business, and made the beginning of the present extensive trade of King Bros. August 1st of the same year James E. King became his partner. Mr. A .W. King was married September 16, 1873, at Kewanee,
OF TOULON TOWNSHIP.
Ill., to Miss Mattie E. Stone, of that place, who was then teaching in the public schools of Wyoming. This lady is a native of Geauga county, Ohio. Their children are Fred Stone, Nina Louise and Albert W., the latter dying in infancy. Both Mr. and Mrs. King are members of the Congregational society, and in all social matters which comes within the range of woman's work she is a zealous and intelligent laborer, both being members of the Eastern Star Chapter and interested in temperance work. Mr. King is a member of the F. and A. M., Royal Arch Chapter, a Knight Templar, a member of the new lodge of Modern Woodmen. He has been an active member of the Central Agricultural Society, of the City Council and of the School Board.
James Ezra King, born in Stark county, October 13, 1855, married Miss Clara B., daughter of Harvey Pettit, to whom one son, Ralph King, was born. This lady died in 1884, in full communion with the Methodist Episcopal church, and her remains interred in the Wyoming cemetery. Recently he married Mrs. Maud (Nelson) Weller, daughter of Major H. C. Nelson, of Canton, Ill. Mr. King is a member of the Central Agricultural Society and junior partner of the firm of King Bros., Wyoming, Ill.
George Steele Lawrence, son of Vincent G. and Abigail (Parker) Lawrence, of an old New Jersey family, was born in Warren county, N. J., June 9, 1838, and educated in that state. In 1856 the parents with three sons and four daughters moved westward, and located four miles northwest of Sheffield, in Bureau county. where one daughter was born. Mr. Lawrence, sr., subsequently located at Princeton, where he died March, 17, 1882, years after the death of his wife, the mother of Geo. S. Lawrence, who died January 18, 1864. The subject of this sketch entered mercantile life at Neponset, in 1860. A few years later he engaged in business at Ramsey, Ill.; in 1866 opened a store at Kewanee, which, in 1868, he disposed of, and moving to Toulon, has continued in business down to the present time. Mr. Lawrence was married at Kewanee, to Miss Alvina F., daughter of Squire John P. Potter, a pioneer of Henry county. They have two children--Abbie Young and Bessie Potter Lawrence. Both Mr. and Mrs. Potter are members of the Methodist Episcopal church. Mr. L. is an old member of the Masonic society, is interested in Texas lands, carries on a stock business, and is here connected with the carriage and wagon building industry as well as carrying on an extensive general store.
Caleb M. S. Lyon, born at Northampton, in what is now Fulton county, N. Y., February 28, 1816, is the son of Ezra and Hannah (Bass) Lyon, the former a native of Connecticut, and the latter a daughter of Jeremiah Bass, of Fulton county, N. Y. The grandfather of Mr. Lyon, also named Ezra, was a farmer of Connecticut, residing near New Haven: while his father carried on a farm in connection with his trade of blacksmith. Caleb grew to manhood in his native county, and there in his father's shop learned blacksmithing. In 1837 he set out on his western journey to visit his uncle, then a farmer of French Grove, Peoria county, and arrived there June 20, 1837. Without delay he pushed on to Elmore, (Rochester) resumed work at his trade and remained there four years. There he married Miss Lora
BIOGRAPHY AND REMINISCENCES
Maria Cushman, daughter of Joshua Cushman, an artisan of East Lebanon, N. H. After a term of four years of a pioneer blacksmith's life at Elmore, he moved to West Jersey township, purchased and, improved eighty acres, and there raised and educated a family of four sons and three daughters, of whom all are living except one daughter. Prior to 1864 he had increased his landed property to 360 acres, and disposed of the shop, which he built on his first farm here. He was elected County Treasurer in 1863, receiving a majority over the democratic nominee. R. J. Dickenson, of 489. Prior to this he served as justice of the peace and supervisor of West Jersey, and since moving to Toulon in 1864, has filled that office as well as that of supervisor as shown in the sketches of West Jersey and Toulon townships. A reference to the history of the schools here will point out his services to education. Mrs. Cushman Lyon died in 1847, leaving one son and one daughter, D. C. Lyon, a farmer of Green county, the head of a family of five children, and Lora Antoinette, who married M. P. Davidson. of Calhoun county, Ia., died leaving two sons. His marriage with Miss Sophronia E. Rhodes has been blest by five children, namely; Effie, wife of Sylvester McKeighan, of this township; Frank W., a lawyer of Minneapolis, Minn.; Clyde K, a farmer of Dallas county, Ia., each the head of a family; Morton, a student, and Maude Eliza, a school girl. It may be said of Mr. Lyon that a more useful citizen never visited the military tract to stay.
Davis Lowman, born in Highland county, Ohio, February 3, 1827, came to Knox county, Ill., in 1837, moved in 1851 to Toulon, and went into the mercantile business. In 1853, he was united in marriage with Miss Anna Williams, of Knoxville, which union was blessed by three daughters and two sons, one of the latter dying in 1861. He leaves two brothers and two sisters living; a brother in California or Oregon, a sister in Butler county, Neb., another in Omaha, and his brother William here, his companion, four children, many relatives, and a multitude of friends. For twenty-six years he was a citizen of Toulon, living a portion of the time in the place and a part on his beautiful farm of 320 acres, now owned by John Whitaker. For a time he was engaged in merchandising, then dealing in real estate, stock buying, grain buying, and lastly that of fine stock-raising on his Green Lawn farm. About the year 1876 he sold his property here and moved to Algona, Ia., a year later moved to Duncan, Ill., where he engaged in merchandising until 1878, when he moved to Hastings, Neb., and engaged in the real estate business, and there lived to the time of his death, October 26, 1886.
James K LaShells, who came to Wyoming in 1844, is now a resident of Biggs, Butte county, Cal. His son Oscar is editor of the Biggs Independent, one on the Chicago Mail, and Edward a blacksmith at Biggs. Cora May LaShells, born at Wyoming in 1866, died in California in 1886.
William J. Law, formerly of Wyoming, is in the drug business at Seward, Neb.
Abram Lindsey, who resided at Wyoming a number of years, was found dead near the cemetery, August 8, 1882.
OF TOULON TOWNSHIP.
"Doctor" J. I. Lightfall died in January, 1886, at San Antonio, Tex. He was born at Tiskilwa, Bureau county, in 1856, where his father, a fourth-breed Wyandotte, and mother, a white woman, then resided. In early years, he formed the acquaintance of the "Original Indian Doctor," McBride, and learned from him the tricks of the "Big Medicine Man" Lightfall married Hannah Fredericksen, a Swedish girl, of Bureau county, who eloped with another man. His second wife was equally frolicsome.
William R. Legg, who erected a blacksmith's shop where the post-office now stands, and also built for himself the house in which Dr. Bacmeister resides, moved to Clarks. Neb., and there died May 11, 1883.
Mrs. Elizabeth Long, born in 1822, died at Indiana, Penn., March 14, 1884. She was the mother of Dr. L. L. Long, of Toulon.
Mrs. Mary Ann Lowman, wife of Branson Lowman, died September 27, 1870.
Mrs. Caroline Lyon, widow of Laton Lyon, born in Saratoga county, N. Y., in 1818, married in 1839, came to Toulon township in 1854, died here February 14, 1878.
Mrs. Minerva Lyon, wife of Elias Lyon, of Toulon. died December 4, 1881. She was born in St. Lawrence county, N. Y., in 1832, married Lyon there in 1852, and came with him to Toulon in 1857.
The Leek family, one of the first to settle on Indian creek, of Spoon river, moved to Hennepin in 1835, after selling their lands to Col. John Henderson. In July, 1836, the latter settled there with his family. The Leeks carried on several wheat- and corn-crushing mills of a very primitive character. That on Spoon river, near the crossing of the Toulon and Wyoming road (subsequently operated by Minott Silliman, and ultimately swept away) was, however, a pretentious concern. Some members of this family also had a mill at Centreville, in later years.
Richard Mascall, now of Cambridge, Ill., came with his family and brother James to Stark county in 1836, and took up their residence in a cabin belonging to General Thomas. That winter his eldest son was the first to be buried in Wyoming cemetery. The boards for their home in Henry county were sawn at Wyoming from logs hauled thither by the Mascalls.
William Mahany, one of the pioneers of the county, settled two miles south of Toulon, near the Leek family, about 1834. In the general history as well as in the sketches of Toulon and West Jersey townships, many references are made to this pioneer and his family.
Colonel D. W. Magee, M. D., son of Thomas and Charity (Matthews) Magee, was born in Dry Valley, Mifflin county, Pa., June 19, 1825. His mother was born in New Jersey, and his father was the son of Charles Magee, who was married at Belfast, Ireland, came to America with his family, and took a prominent part in the war of the Revolution with his brother Thomas, who returned to Ireland after the treaty of peace was negotiated, and at a time when that country was bounding forward in the paths of progress under her own government. Charles settled in Pennsylvania and there raised his family of two sons
BIOGRAPHY AND REMINISCENCES
and three daughters, one of whom was Thomas (father of Dr. Magee), one of a family of ten sons and three daughters, of whom seven survive. In 1832 the family moved to Guernsey county, Ohio, in 1844 to Tuscarawas county, Ohio, and in 1852 to Smithville, Peoria county, where the father died in 1854, at the age of 74 years; the mother dying there also in 1872, aged 88 years. Dr. Magee received a common school education in his native county. On coming to New Philadelphia, Ohio, in 1844, he learned the carpenter's trade, also read medicine and later engaged in house building. There he married Miss Henrietta, a daughter of Michael Doll, a native of Maryland, and a pioneer of Tuscarawas county, whose eldest daughter was Mrs. Judge Hance of that county. In 1853 he visited California, in 1855 came to Henry, Marshall county, Ill., at the invitation of a friend, and engaged in building there until 1858, when he moved to Peoria. From this time until 1860 he was clerk in the house of J. T. Robinson & Co. In the latter year he became a partner in the retail department, which partnership continued until the fall of 1862, when he recruited Company H, 86th I. V. Inf.; was mustered in as lieutenant-colonel of the regiment and served until 1865, when he was commissioned colonel of the 47th Ill. Vet. Inf. He remained with this command until the breaking up of the brigade and division organization, when he was placed in command of the post at Selma, Ala. He was brevetted brigadier-general for distinguished service and assigned to command the district of Montgomery, Ala., with headquarters at Montgomery, which position he held until his retirement in February, 1866. On returning he engaged in mercantile work. In 1867 he was appointed postmaster at Peoria, holding the position until 1877, when his second term expired, he then engaged in the wholesale flour trade. In 1879 he took a course of medicine at Rush Medical College, Chicago, was admitted to practice before the State Board that year, and moving to Wyoming, established his office there. In June, 1846, he left Ft. Wayne, Ind., as a soldier for the Mexican War, went on the Rio Grande Expedition under Colonel J. P. Drake, and served until June, 1847. He served as Commander of the first G. A. R. Post at Peoria; is a member of the Army of the Tennessee and of the Cumberland, and belongs to the Masonic Society since his majority. He has always been a republican in political life. His children are Thomas E. Magee, an accountant and bookkeeper of Peoria; William N., of Chicago, and Mrs. Clara Parmley of Peoria.
William Mason, son of Jacob and Catherine (Biddinger) Mason, was born in German township, Fayette county, Pennsylvania, November 9. 1806. His father was a native of that county, and mother was born near Martinsburgh, West Virginia. His grandfather, Martin Mason, came from Germany to Maryland with his parents, ten years before Braddock's campaign. At the age of thirteen years he assisted in taking supplies to Braddock's camp, was captured by the Indians two weeks before Braddock's defeat, taken to Fort DuQuesne, thence to Canada, and held there until the defeat of Montcalm before Quebec. In his travels he met white men at Pittsburgh, Fort DuQuesne and other points, then supposed to be uninhabited. On returning he re-
OF TOULON TOWNSHIP.
mained at home until his marriage, when he moved to Fayette county, Pennsylvania, and took up land by the "Tomahawk Right," had his claim surveyed and recorded for $75, and there for a number of years had to fight the Indians. Jacob Mason, the youngest of his nine children, was the father of three sons and one daughter, of whom the subject of this sketch is the senior. In 1814 the family moved to a point four miles north of Ashland, Ohio, thence to Richland county, Ohio. where he was justice for many years, and where they remained until September, 1837, when the family moved to Farmington, Illinois, where his father died in October, 1839, and his mother some years later. Their children are, William, of Stark county; Martin, of Yates City; James, of Farmington, Ills.; and Nancy, who married Jefferson Trickle, and died in this county. William came to Stark in August, 1837, purchased land two and one-half miles south of Lafayette, 270 acres, a cabin, ten acres of corn, fenced, and twenty-five hogs for $2,200 in five franc pieces, and cultivated it for several years, until exchanged for his present farm, south of Toulon, of 370 acres. He was married in Pennsylvania to Miss Mattie McWilliams, of Washington county. This lady died August 10, 1854, leaving two children, Wallace, married, and Elizabeth-the latter wife of John Black, and mother of one son and one daughter. His present wife, Mrs. Matilda (Hoadley) Fowler, is a native of New York state. Her daughter, Abbie, is wife of Charles Hoadley. In early years Mr. Mason was Ensign and Captain of a company of Ohio militia, was one or the original members of the Stark County Agricultural Society, and an active member of the Anti-Horse-Thief Organization of 1838-48. He has gone through all the experiences of border and pioneer life, and is now on the sunset side, satisfied that a citizen's duty has always been performed by him.
Wallace McWilliams Mason, born in Ashlamid county, Ohio, April 22, 1835, is the son of, William and Mattie (McWilliams) Mason. He came with parents to this county in the fall of 1837, and grew to manhood here. At the age of 22 years he took up farming for himself. and was married here in 1866, to Miss Sarah Ann Cox, daughter of Enoch Cox, of Essex township. They are the parents of one son-- James B. Mason. He is a member of the Stark County Agricultural Society, and with his agricultural interests pays some attention to horses, cattle and hog growing, owning 175 acres of excellent land on Section 30. In public affairs Mr. Mason has served on the school board of his district for several years. The family lend their support to the Methodist Episcopal church.
John A. Maxfield, born at China, Me., engaged in the coast marine service when a boy; in 1843 ascended the Mississippi and Illinois to Peoria, and arrived at Toulon in May of that year. In 1845 he married Miss Jane Winter. His son Thomas, now in Kansas, served in the war for the Union.
Thomas H. Maxfield, son of Orrin and Chloe W. (Dexter) Maxfield, was born in Toulon township, August 31, 1845. His parents were natives of Penobscot county, Me., from which state the family came to Knox county, Ills., in 1839. Orrin Maxfield was a son of Eliphahet and Jane (McCrillis) Maxfield, of Old Durham, N. H., where father was born Jan-
BIOGRAPHY AND REMINISCENCES
nary 1, 1804. He took a leading part in building up the county to its present importance. his wife died November 21, 1872, and lies in Toulon cemetery. Mr. T. H. Maxfield was married here to Miss Sarah Frances, daughter of Russell and Sarah (Clements) Carr, born near Saratoga, New York. They are the parents of two sons and seven daughters, namely: Ulysses G.. Chloe F., Lillian L., Augusta P., Susan F., Vivian P., Thomas B., Cora E., and Miriam E. Mrs. and Mr. Maxfield, with their two eldest daughters, are members of the Congregational church, although the elder Maxfield is of the Free Will Baptist faith. He is a Past Grand of the I. O. O. F. Lodge at Toulon, and connected with the organization of the Rebekah degree, his wife being also a member. Of his father's family, George and Orrin served in the war for the Union. The former is now married, and is engaged in the real estate business at Fairmont, Neb.; Susan, who married Thomas J. Wright, is dead ; Charles died in Nebraska; N. D. Maxfield is an agriculturalist near Fairmont, Neb. These, with John B. and Orrin constituted this pioneer family. Thomas H. occupies the homestead farm of 100 acres.
David McCance, whose name occurs so frequently in the marriage record, and indeed finds mention in almost every chapter, was born in Hamilton County, Ohio, in 1815,. died here February 19, 1884, after a residence in the county since 1847.
C. P. McCorkle, son of George and Mary (Penny) McCorkle, was born at Wilmington. Del.. September 10, 1839. His grandfather was William McCorkle, a native of Londonderry, Ireland, came to the United States when a boy; was captain in our merchant marine, died years ago, leaving three sons--George, named above, prominent in business life at Wilmington for many years; Thomas, one of the early successful brick manufacturers of Wilmington, and Lindsay, who worked at the harness trade for his brother George. Charles P., the subject of this sketch, is one of a family of twelve children, or the seventh son and seventh child of a family of ten sons and two daughters, all of whom grew to manhood and womanhood, with the exception of three sons deceased in youth. William, the eldest, died at Chattanooga, Tenn., leaving three daughters; George is a farmer of Bureau County, Ill.; Thomas is a dairy-farmer at Troy, N. Y.; Charles P. of Wyoming, Ill.; Sabill, wife of William A. Reed, of St. Louis, Mo.; Henry, hotel-keeper at Chattanooga; John, of Wyoming, Ill.; Maria, widow of the late Henry Reed, of Bureau County, Ill., and Edward, of Wright County, Iowa. Charles P. McCorkle received a fair education at Wilmington, and learned the carriage trimmer' s trade there. In 1858 he visited Missouri, in 1859 went into business in Lake Providence, La., which he was compelled to leave early in 1861. owing to the feeling against the North. In 1862 he enlisted in Company F, Thirteenth New York Heavy Artillery, and followed the fortunes of that command, both in its artillery and infantry service to July 18, 1865. After the war he moved to Galva, Ill., (where his father had settled in 1864, on his removal from Missouri), and there married Miss Mary Rockafellow, a native of Illinois, daughter of Abram Johnson and Sarah (Newcomb) Rockafellow, natives of New Jersey and New Hampshire,
OF TOULON TOWNSHIP.
respectively. They are the parents of two children--Harry and May. In 1870 Mr. McCorkle and family moved to Wyoming, and has been prominently identified with the social and business circles of the town ever since. A reference to the history of Wyoming and Essex Township, points out definitely his connection with the council, school board, agricultural Society, Grand Army Post, Masonic lodge, Congregational church, and other permanent and temporary associations connected with the progress of the town and district. Politically he is a Republican.
Robert McKeighan, born in the parish of Loughgehil, Antrim county, Ireland, June 11, 1818, is the sixth son and eighth child of a family of eight sons and three daughters, born to John and Lily (Gault) McKeighan, of whom all but one son came to the United States. Robert passed his boyhood in his native country, obtained a fair education there, and at the age of eighteen years came to our shores landing at Philadelphia, August 14, 1836 and after spending two years in that city, in obtaining a fair idea of the habits and customs of this country, he joined a young man (John Matthews), then set out for the west, and eventually located in Fulton county, Ill., spent a few years in agricultural work and looking around and then located two and one-half miles southwest of Farmington, where he improved a farm, and married Miss Ellen Tuttle, daughter of Samuel Tuttle, a native of Maryland, an old settler of Ohio, as he was of Fulton county. There Mr. McKeighan spent twenty-five years. To them six sons and one daughter were born of whom four sons and a daughter are living--namely--John E., attorney of St. Louis, Mo., who married Miss Ellen Cutler of Ann Arbor, Mich., (whom he met there during his college days) parents of one son and three daughters. Samuel died in his seventeenth year; Robert H. is a farmer and stock-grower of Toulon; Ellen is the wife of Levi Silliman; George died in his twenty-ninth year, leaving widow and son and daughter; Sylvester H. is a farmer of Toulon township, and Matthew a farmer and stock-grower of this township. Mr. and Mrs. McKeighan have seventeen grand children. In 1865 he sold his interest in Fulton county, and moved to Toulon, where he had bought 320 acres in 1863. Here their family grew to manhood and womanhood, and for over twenty years have been prominently identified with the social and agricultural progress of this district.
John Mark MacMillen, son of William and Ann (Van Devaeder) MacMillen, was born near Staunton, Augusta county, Va ., May 10, 1813. His father was a native of Pennsylvania, and mother supposed to have been raised there also. In 1821 his father, three sons and one daughter moved to Fayette county, Ohio., where a second daughter was born --thus making a family of five children; namely: John M., of Wyoming; Samuel, a farmer of McLean county, Ill.; James, a farmer of Mills county, Ia.; Mrs. Elizabeth Cramer, who died in Mills county, Ia., and Mrs. Phoebe Porter of Lancaster county, Neb. John M. McMillen spent his boyhood's years in Fayette county, Ohio, where he married Miss Elizabeth McDonald in 1834, a native of Fayette county, whose parents were pioneers of Ohio. In 1850 he moved to the Wyoming neighborhood, and in 1853 settled two miles south of the
BIOGRAPHY AND REMINISCENCES
town in Essex. where, in 1853, he built his residence. In 1872 he rented his farm and moved into Wyoming. Of his seven children, Thomas is a farmer of Crawford county, Ia.; William, a soldier of the one-hundred and twelfth Illinois Volunteers, infantry, Company E., is buried at Andersonville prison; Manford W. died at the age of thirteen years; John A. died in Mills county, Ia., leaving a family of three children; Charles is a merchant of Wyoming; Mrs. Effie A. Dawson, deceased, died in Holt county, Mo.; Mrs Mary A. Haines, widow of Booth Haines, lives at Wyoming, Ill.; Mrs. McMillen, a niece of Gov. Duncan MacArthur, died in May, 1885, and was buried in the Wyoming Cemetery. Mr. McMillen has served as justice of peace for several years; as notary public since 1874; on the school board of his district many years, and was one of the original members of the Stark County Agricultural Society, carrying off some of the first premiums.
Stephen W. Maring, son of a revolutionary soldier, who moved to Knox county, Ohio, was born there in 1834; moved with his father to Marshall county, Ill., in 1850; served in Company H, Seventy-seventh Illinois Infantry, from 1862 to close of war; came to Toulon in 1865, where he married Sarah Porter.
M. F. Meeker, son of Aaron and Lydia (Sollars) Meeker, was born in Ross county, Ohio, May 7, 1848; his grandparents were Wheeler and Sally Meeker, natives of Connecticut, who settled in Ross county in pioneer days, the former serving in the War of 1812, and one of the early millwrights of Ohio. Aaron Meeker was a wagon-maker by trade; of his family of four sons and five daughters, three sons and two daughters are living, the subject of this sketch being the eldest. He passed his earlier years in his native county, learned the carpenter trade there, and at the age of twenty-two came to Wyoming, where he has since been engaged as a builder and contractor. He was married to Miss Jennie, a daughter of Edward O'Donnell, of Brimfield, Ill. They are the parents of Floyd H., Ernest A., and Ada D. In business affairs he is a partner of Mr. Geesey, and has taken a full part in building up the town, among other buildings on which he has been engaged being that of the Central Agricultural Society, A reference to the Masonic history of Wyoming and other pages will point out his close relation with the town since his settlement here.
Major Wheeler K. Seymour Merriman, son of Daniel and Martha (Churchill) Merriman, old Massachusetts families, was born near Pittsfield, Berkshire county, May 20, 1833. Here he received a common school education, which was supplemented by an academic course at Williston Seminary, East Hampton. His father died in 1850. In 1853 he moved to New York state, and in the fall of 1854 to Illinois, where he entered the service of the C. B. & Q. Railroad company. He was engaged with this company at Galesburg until April 19, 1861, when he enlisted in Company H, Twelfth Illinois Infantry; in August he was elected second lieutenant; in April, 1862, after the battle of Shiloh, was promoted first lieutenant, and in September, 1862, captain of Company H. which position he held for nearly two years. On the regiment veteranizing, he was elected major, completely filling the position until the close of the war. He was, in fact, brigadier in command of the Second
OF TOULON TOWNSHIP.
Brigade of the Fourth Division of his Army Corps from September 13 to October 16, 1864. During his term of service he invested funds in paying enterprises, and came out of the war at least financially strong and with a splendid reputation. Subsequently he lost a good deal of capital, returned to service of the C. & Great Eastern, Indiana, until October, 1866, when he located at Princeton as assistant assessor of internal revenue. In February, 1867, he moved to Toulon, engaged in agriculture for three summers and established his present grocery house. Major Merriman married at Princeton in June, 1866, to Miss Mary M., a daughter of John Smith. They have an adopted child E. H. Phelps. Both are supporters of the Congregational church. In addition to a large business, Mr. Merriman owns a well-improved farm of 120 acres. He has been a member of the Town Council and president of the Board for four years, as related in the official history of Toulon. Major Merriman, when at Corinth, Miss., lost a silver half-dollar, inscribed with his name and rank. In April, 1883, it was handed in as pay for a dinner at Des Moines, Iowa, advertised and thus found its way back to its original owner.
Rev. A. C. Miller, (vide chapter on West Jersey township).
Hon. James Hughes Miller, son of Rev. Allen C. and Mary (Pierson) Miller, was born at Marseilles, Wyandotte county, Ohio, August 29, 1843. his parents were natives of western Pennsylvania, but for about thirty-five years his mother resided in Ohio, of which state his father was a resident for about eleven years. They moved to Roscoe, Winnebago county, Ill., in October, 1851, where Rev. A. C. Miller preached one year; thence to White Rock, Ogle county, where they resided for many years. There James H. Miller grew to manhood. In the summer of 1861 he was engaged to teach school at La Salle, Ill., and again as clerk in a coal office. In the fall of 1862 he was authorized to recruit a company for the Fourteenth Illinois Cavalry. He succeeded in raising thirty men (after the call for 600,000 had been answered), a task then difficult in the Peoria district. This company was mustered in with the Fourteenth Illinois Cavalry, January 4, 1863; but owing to an accident which befell its organizer in September, 1862, he was not accepted. Mr. Miller then took a position in the McCormick works at Chicago, but in April, 1863, moved to his father's residence in Stark county, (the family coming to West Jersey in 1861), suffering from the hurt received in the fall of 1862. On arriving here he was attacked with hip disease resulting from the accident hitherto mentioned, and for six years was an invalid, and even up to 1871 used crutches. During the time of his illness he studied law for the interest and knowledge such study gave, and was admitted an attorney-at-law in the spring of 1869, before the supreme court of this state. The same year he opened an office at Toulon, and since that time has successfully practiced here. In 1872 he was elected state's attorney, receiving 453 votes over the Liberal Republican, P. M. Blair. He was appointed to this office early in 1872 to fill vacancy. From 1870 to 1877 he served as justice of the peace; was counsel for Toulon village several terms and treasurer of the town in 1874. In 1885-6 he was one of the most energetic workers for his party, and was one
BIOGRAPHY AND REMINISCENCES
of the "steering committee" that succeeded in electing the late John A. Logan United States senator by the Thirty-fourth general assembly. He was a member of the judiciary, judicial department and election committees, and on this last one was selected to push the election law applicable to cities, villages and towns by the republican members thereof, and also at the request of the citizens' association of Chicago. The Chicago Legal News, of May 1, 1886, speaks of his action in this matter thus: "Among the many men who aided in the passage of the new election law, none are entitled to more credit than Hon. James H. Miller, of Toulon, by his disinterested efforts put forth in its behalf. He was a member of the house, and by speech, vote and influence did all in his power to secure its passage. We made the strongest and most eloquent argument in favor of its passage. When the act had become a law, and its validity was assailed in the supreme court, he followed it there, and without a hope of fee or reward made a strong and eloquent appeal to the court in its behalf. He concluded his argument as follows: 'Believing that here in this citadel of truth, law and justice, the rights of every citizen,--be he high or low, rich or poor,--will be protected in all of them, by the immutable laws of justice; that questions affecting the construction of the constitution of this state and the political and civil rights and privileges of the citizens depending upon it, are entitled to the fullest and most deliberate consideration when drawn into judicial discussions.--Upon a correct decision of these the security and harmony of our well-balanced system of free and popular government mainly depends. When that shall have been done here, I believe that this act will be found not wanting and that it will be construed to be in harmony within our growth, our institutions and the desires of our law-abiding citizens, and will be approved of by the judicial decision of this honorable court; and that the inequality which now exists in the ballot between the different localities will have been overcome by wise legislation and by plain, simple and just construction, and that 'folded leaf' will then 'become the tongue of justice, a voice of order, a force of imperial law; securing rights, abolishing abuses and erecting new institutions of truth and love,' in the great state of Illinois." In October, 1870, he was married at Bloomington, Ill., to Miss Emma M., daughter of Squire John Kearney, of Trumbull county, Ohio, a lady of high social qualities and earnest in the higher duties of women. Their three children are Wilfred D., George G. and Harry H. Their second son, Allen Wayne, lies in the cemetery at Toulon. Mr. and Mrs. Miller are Presbyterians in faith, but regular attendants at Congregational worship. Mr. Miller was reelected in the fall of 1886 to the Thirty-fifth general assembly, receiving 719 more votes than were cast for any other candidate in the district, and his majority over his opponent was 1,658 as shown in the political chapter.
Allen Pierson Miller, born in Crawford county, Ohio, September 16, 1849, is a son of the Rev. Allen Cowen Miller, one of the pioneer preachers of northwestern Ohio, and one of the old settlers of Crawford county. In 1861 Rev. Miller came to Stark county, where Allen P. completed his education and entered mercantile life. In 1871 the
OF TOULON TOWNSHIP.
latter moved to Cass county, Neb., where he remained until 1875, when he returned to Toulon and commenced the study of law in the office of his brother, James H. Miller. He was admitted an attorney-at-law January 4,1877, and appointed Master in Chancery in 1879, which position he held until the spring of 1886. In addition to a good law practice, he carries on an extensive insurance business, and loans on real estate. During his professional career he has been engaged in some of the important cases brought before the courts within the last eight years, and enjoys well merited confidence. Mr. Miller was married to Miss Mary S., daughter of William D. and Salome (DeLong) James. They were the parents of seven children of whom four are deceased. Emma F., Cora B. and Clyde L. reside at home. Mr. and Mrs. Miller are members of the Congregational church, zealous in church work, active in literary and social circles, and earnest in everything which promises to be beneficial to the community. A reference to the societies of Toulon, to the history of the Congregational church and to the pages of the general history, will point out the places filled by Mr. and Mrs. Miller within this county.
William Miller, born in Jackson county, Ohio, July 14, 1817, is the son of Isaac and Jane (McKean) Miller, natives of Virginia, near Wheeling. They moved to Pike county from Jackson county, Ohio, about 1824. There William Miller received his education, and there also he married Miss Nancy Mitchell, a native of Ohio, born near Circleville. In 1843 he and wife moved from Pike county to Illinois, located in Stark county, and rented land there until 1849, when he purchased 160 acres in Essex township. Their children, two sons and one daughter, Elizabeth Jane, now the wife of Wilson Trickle, of Essex township; Royal H., a merchant of Wyoming. and True Alvin, a minister of the Methodist Episcopal church in Iowa. They have eleven grand children. Mr. Miller and wife have been worthy members of the Methodist Episcopal church for many years. He has served in school and township offices in Essex township, and even prior to his settlement in this county was interested in the schools of his native county. Originally an old time Whig, line is now a Republican; He was active in the establishment of the Central Agricultural Society, and since 1874, when he took up his residence at Wyoming, has been interested in his new home as well as in the township where he made his first home in Illinois.
Royal H. Miller, born in Essex Township, June 21, 1845, is a son of William and Nancy (Mitchell) Miller, referred to in the history of Essex township, and also in this chapter. He passed boyhood's days in Essex township, and there obtained a practical education. He carried on his father's farm until 1881, when he engaged in the grocery trade. He was married at Toulon in 1865, to Miss Arabella, daughter of Jacob Kissel, of West Jersey township. They have two children, Allie M., and Della P. Mr. Miller is a supporter of the Congregational church, but was originally a member of the U. B. church of Essex. He has been a member of the Stark county Agricultural Society, was superintendent of Sabbath Schools in Essex, and since coming here, has won many testimonials for his earnestness and ability in Sunday School
BIOGRAPHY AND REMINISCENCES
work. His establishment at Wyoming is one of the finest stores devoted to business in this section of the State.
William Miner, son of one of the pioneer Baptist preachers of this section, settled on what is known as the Stewart Moore Farm. moved to Toulon, thence to Wyoming, thence to Chicago, where he invented a mineral detector. Died in Southern Missouri, July 31, 1885.
Rev. John Mitchell, pastor of the Congregational church of Wyoming, was born August 15, 1844, at New Milns, Ayreshire, Scotland, of which place his parents, James and Mary (Pollock) Mitchell, were natives and members of the "High" or "Established church of Scotland." The father died in 1849, three years after the death of his wife. Of their four children, John is the youngest. Archibald is still living in Scotland, James in Canada, and a sister died while quite young. At the death of his parents John was taken under the guardian care of an aunt, and remained with her until her death. His education was such as to prepare him for mercantile life, but he had a stronger desire for literature than for commercial pursuits. At Glasgow, Scotland, he became intimately acquainted with the Rev. J. P. Keeley, who finding his tastes, advised him to study for the ministry. Acting upon this advice he took a further course in literature and eventually a four years' course in theology, and was ordained to the ministry in 1872. He was married June 28, 1869, at St. Martin's church, Worcester, England, to Miss Elizabeth Burrow, eldest daughter of John Burrow, an engineer residing near Malvern, Worcestershire. Her father was also a local preacher in the Wesleyan body, which position he held until his death, March 26, 1862. Her grandfather, (same name as her father), now in his eighty-seventh year, still carries on the business of engineering, and is one of the most liberal supporters as well as an honored member of the Wesleyan church. In 1872 Rev. John Miller came to this country, and for some years, preached in Mississippi and Kentucky, accepted a call to become pastor of the Congregational church, Vermillion, Ohio, January 16, 1882, and while there he received a call to the pastorate of the Congregational church, Wyoming, Ill., which he accepted and still fills most satisfactorily. Mr. and Mrs. Mitchell are the parents of four children: John Alexander, born in Glasgow, Scotland, June 5, 1871; Jessie Annie, born in Worcester, England, March 22, 1874; Aggie Maud, born in Vermillion, Ohio, October 10, 1882, and Archie Presdie, born at Wyoming, June 13, 1884. The eldest child died in Kentucky, January 31, 1880, and lies in Greenup cemetery.
Robert Mitchell, died at Toulon, July 14, 1882, aged seventy-one years. He settled in Goshen Township in 1838, and resided there until 1881. He was born in Donegall County, Ireland. Mrs. Stowe, now of Kansas, is his sister.
James Montooth, sheriff of Stark County, son of Samuel and Jane (Winters) Montooth, was born in Tyrone County, Ireland, February 8, 1831. His grandfather, James, and grandmother, Elizabeth Beatty, were natives of Scotland, who immigrated when young and were married in Ireland, where he worked at the carpenter's trade. He was one
OF TOULON TOWNSHIP.
of six sons, two of whom came to America and served in the war under Anthony Wayne. Samuel was born in 1799, learned his father's trade, and subsequently the weaver's trade. His wife, daughter of Patrick Winters, a farmer, was born in 1806, her mother being a Stuart of the Scottish family. She married Samuel in 1830, came with him to Philadelphia, Pa., in 1833, and to Elmira in February, 1858. On coming here he ceased to be a tradesman, and devoted his attention to stock-growing and farming until his death in 1885. Of their nine children, six survive. James the subject of this sketch Jane, wife of George Reed, of Bradford; Samuel, of Elmira; Rebecca and Margaret, twin sisters, the former the wife of Robert, and the latter of Thomas Turnbull of Page County, Iowa, and Charles, residing on old homestead in Oceola [sic]. James Montooth received his education in Philadelphia, learned the weaver's trade there, and from 1845 to 1858 worked at brick-making. In 1853 he married Miss Mary, daughter of John and Mary (Wright) Tomlinson, natives of Ireland. Their children of this marriage were Jennie, wife of Roger Baker, of Kansas, and an infant who died and was buried with its mother in June, 1857. In 1858 he came to Elmira, and settling in the Leason log cabin, engage at once at agriculture. The following year he began the brick manufacturing industry at where he now lives; in 1860 joined the "Elmira Rifles" under Captain Stuart, and in June, 1861, entered the United States service, as credited to him in the history of the Nineteenth and One Hundred and Fifty-first Regiments of Illinois infantry (vide military chapter). On the march from Nashville to Murfreesboro, Lieutenant Montooth saved the Colonel of the One Hundred and Fifty-first Illinois from drowning in the Cumberland river under circumstances that required the highest degree of strength, tact and courage. On returning from the war he married Miss Mary E., daughter of Joel and Dulcina (Young) Wilson, both natives of New Jersey. Her grandfather was Abner M., and grandmother, Elizabeth Lundy. The ancestors of the former are said to have come out with Penn's colony. Elizabeth Lundy was sister of Ben Lundy, the Quaker friend of the bondsmen credited to him in Volume I, Greeley's History of the Rebellion, who gave up all he possessed to aid the cause of negro liberty. To this latter marriage eight children were born. Della E., wife of William Rennick, of Toulon; May L., Laura B., James L., Sarah E., Samuel W., and Charles Stuart, reside at home. Mr. Montooth has been engaged in agriculture and brick manufacture ever since the war. In 1859 he purchased fifty acres on Section 1, Toulon, to which he has since added 111 acres. From 1856 to the present time he has been a thorough Republican; but beyond the interest taken by him in schools and township matters, which naturally make him prominent in the official life of the township, he did not seek for office. In 1886 he was nominated and elected sheriff. In social and religious matters he is a Royal Arch Mason, a supporter but not a member of the M. P. church, and commander of James Jackson Post, G. A. R., of Elmira. He is practical in all things, and for almost three decades has taken a full share in the advancement of the county.
William L. Mooney, born in Athens County, Ohio, in 1845, settled
©Produced by Lori Laird for ILGenWeb