navigation bar
VALLEY TOWNSHIP.
The Justices of peace elected in Valley are named as follows: '54, D. D. Furbrache and J. M. Rogers; '58, Joseph Woodward, Jacob Spears and J. M. Rogers; '60, Simon Dixon; '61, Joseph Woodward, T. Beall; '65, Joseph Woodward, George Wier; '69, George W. Nixon, Joseph Wolf, Thomas Beall, Edward Colgan; '73, Edward Colgan and Eli Mallary; '77, C. F. Newell and E. Colgan; '81, Jacob Shullow, C. T. Newell; '82, Morris Smith; '83, W. F. Speers; '85, Michael Ryan, Eli H. Mallary; '86, Erastus Morrow.

William T. Ditmon was elected clerk in 1879, and still continues to fill that office most acceptably.

On March 26, 1869, Valley township voted $20,000 aid to the D., P. & H. R. R.

Neighboring Settlements.--Lawn Ridge dates its settlement back to 1845, when Charles Stone made his home there. He was followed by "Deacon" Smith and Joshua Powell, the deacon being the first blacksmith. Alden Hull settled in the township about 1845, and shortly after the United Presbyterian Church was organized there. In 1846 the Congregational Church of Blue Ridge was founded, and in 1850 the Methodists organized at the Centre. On October 5, 1864, Lawn Ridge Lodge, No. 415, was chartered. Close by, the lost towns of Chambersburg and Troy City were laid out in 1836,--the former by John T. Shepherd and Jesse J. Cox, and the latter by Sanford Klock.

The wolf hunt of 1830 was organized December 25, 1830, with the Roots, Sillimans, Reddicks, Clevelands, Coopers, Holmes, Miners and Reeds leading hunters. In 1845 the great hunt was organized.

Akron Township, of Peoria county, was first settled by Hugh Montgomery, in 183l. The same year D. Prince, James Morrow and Thomas Morrow settled there. In 1832 Rev. Hill, of the Methodist Episcopal circuit, preached at James Morrow's house, and four years later Mrs. Hester Stoddard taught in the first schoolhouse. In 1871 the first house of worship was erected by Seventh Day Baptists.

Valley Cemetery.--In Valley cemetery are interred the following well-known residents: W. Down died in 1878; James Jackson, '71; Jane Hodges, '59; Margaret Jackson, '82; Lovina Ann Eby, '70; Harry Hull, '78; Sally Hull, '62; Carlton A. Fox, '72; William Marlatt, '86. A number of young people are interred, among whom are George O. Marlatt, Company E, One-hundred-and-twelfth Illinois Volunteer Infantry, died April 8, 1864, in Libby prison; Joseph M. Marlatt, died in 1873; Lizzie Down, died in 1882; and William.Down, Jr., in 1883. At Camp Grove, Lawn Ridge, Wyoming, and other resting places for the dead in the vicinity, many old settlers are at home, while throughout the west others have found the end of life's journey.

Stark Village was never platted. It grew up spontaneously, so soon as the railroad was opened, as the competitor of Wady Petra for the trade of the township. The business circle is made up as follows: Joseph Anderson, grain and tile; Simpson & Smith, general store; William Speers, live stock and insurance; Mrs. Rothwell, millinery; Erastus Morrow, creamery; Charles N. Hull, merchant; Joseph Brown and D. Martin, blacksmiths; John Burr, shoemaker; John Brooks, restaurant; Eric Weberg, railroad agent; E. Morrow, postmaster. Mr.

645

©Produced by Lori Laird for ILGenWeb