W. McMAHILL, farmer, residing on section 31, Greenbush Township, was born in
1826, in Kentucky, and is a son of John McMahill, a native of the Keystone
State. The grandfather of Mr. McMahill, of this notice, John McMahill, was
kidnapped when a small lad by a Captain of a sailing vessel from off the coast
of Ireland, and was brought to this country and settled in Philadelphia, where
he remained until he was killed by the falling of a tree.
George W., of whom we write, was married to
Miss Martha Jane McMahill, May 8, 1848, in Illinois. She was born in 1833.
They have had no children. Mr. McMahill is the owner of some 3,000 acres of
land, some of it being located in Missouri, some in Iowa, and the remainder in
McDonough and Warren Counties, this State. He is engaged in breeding full-blood
Short-horn cattle, of which he has some 40 head. He also has one Holstein cow.
His horses are of the Norman and Clydesdale breed. In religion, he and his wife
are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church, and in politics,
Mr. McMahill always votes the Democratic ticket.Portrait
and Biographical Album of Warren County, Illinois (1886), Chapman Brothers of
Chicago, p. 352.
HALL, a successful and energetic farmer, owning 234 acres of land located on
section 31, Greenbush Township, where he resides, and also 50 acres of land in
Iowa, was born in Cortland Co., N. Y., Dec. 23, 1819. He came West and located
at Monmouth, and worked at that place from September, 1845, until the date of
his marriage, March 25, 1852. At this time, Miss Susan B. McMahill became his
wife. She was born in Sangamon County, this State, and bore her husband six
children, namely: William L., born July 5, 1853; Wyatt, July 5, 1855; Warren,
Feb. 8, 1857; Mary M., April 17, 1861; Albert P., Jan. 19, 1867; Aleta, March
14, 1872. Wm. L. married a Miss Mollie Dilly, and is now a successful farmer in
Jewell Co., Kan. Wyatt married Ann McFetridge. They have two children. Wyatt
is also a farmer. Mary M. is the wife of Mr. Wetzvel, a resident of this
The father of Mr. Hall, Stephen Hall, was a
native of Connecticut, and married Miss Cynthia Leonard. They had eight
children, - Lester, Sarah Ann, Polly, Leonard, Theophilus, Coridon, Benjamin,
Philomen, four of whom are deceased, namely: Sarah, Polly, Benjamin and
Philomen. Mrs. Hall’s father, Mr. McMahill, was born in Kentucky in 1806, and
died in 1881. He married Miss Mary Snapp in 1827. She was born in 1806 in
Kentucky, and they became the parents of 12 children, viz.: George S., Susan
B., Sarah S., Nancy J., Elizabeth, John, Maria A., Kentucky A., William H. H.,
Pinkney M., Mary and Lucinda. Four of these children are dead.
Mr. Hall, of whom we write, has 235 acres of
good farm land, located on section 31, Greenbush Township, under an advanced
state of cultivation, and also 50 acres of land in Iowa. On his place he has a
good residence and barn, the latter being 34 x 40 feet in dimensions. In
addition to his farm duties, he is breeding Short-horn cattle and handles
English draft horses. He has served as Road Commissioner for some 12 years, and
also School Director of his township. In religion, he belongs to the Methodist
Episcopal Church. Politically, he votes with the Republican party.
Portrait and Biographical Album of Warren County, Illinois (1886), Chapman
Brothers of Chicago, p. 280-281.
S. RYNER, a resident on section 21, Spring Grove Township, became an
inhabitant of Warren County in 1838, when he was ten years of age. Jacob Ryner,
his father, was born in Montgomery Co., Pa., where he married Rachel Spencer.
In the paternal line the family is of German origin and on the other side it is
of English extraction. The grandfather of Jacob Ryner was born in Germany. The
wife of the latter was a daughter of a Revolutionary soldier. In 1829, Jacob
Ryner removed with his wife and children to the State of New York. He passed
four years in the State trying to find what he considered a suitable place for a
permanent location, and eventually removed to Lorain Co., Ohio. The family
remained there until 1838, when the transfer to Warren County was made. The
elder Ryner was well-to-do and he came to Illinois with a couple of two-horse
teams and two wagons, and they journeyed all the intervening distance with their
aid. They drove a small red cow which supplied the necessary accompaniment to
the corn mush which formed the principal part of the daily bill of fare. After
a journey lasting nearly two months they arrived in Warren County. The father
at first rented land of Bannister Gates, in Monmouth Tp., and in this manner
continued to operate three years. In 1841 he bought a farm of a man named
Talbot which was located on section 1 in the same township. This was the
homestead until the death of the father, when 80 acres had been improved. The
mother is still living. She has borne 11 children, nine of whom still survive:
Spencer resides in Alexis. Daniel is a citizen of Wayne Co., Iowa. Josiah
lives in Cold Brook Township. Jonathan is a resident of Clinton Co., Iowa.
Emmeline married Ethan Cox, of Independence, Oregon. James S. is the next in
order of birth. Henry lives in Clinton Co., Iowa. Jacob resides on the
homestead. Eliza is married to Edward Morrow, of Nebraska. About the year
1845, the parents, Mr. and Mrs. Jacob Ryner, went to Philadelphia on a visit.
They journeyed with their own team, making the entire trip with horses and a
lumber wagon. They started in August and returned to their home in Warren
County in November of the same year.
Mr. Ryner, of this sketch, was in the first
year of his life when his parents removed to New York, and was a small lad when
the transfer of the family was made to Ohio. After their removal to Warren
County he remained with them until 1852, when he joined a party whose purpose it
was to cross the country to the Pacific coast. He drove an ox-team to Oregon,
and arrived there after five months of travel. He remained there two years, and
during the time was engaged in farming. In 1854 he started for another overland
journey with packed mules across the plains toward the scenes of his early
Sept. 14, 1854, he was married to Mary E.
Wallace. She was born in Kentucky. After their marriage they located in Cold
Brook Township. They maintained a residence there for 12 years when they sold
their property preparatory to a removal to Monmouth Township. Mr. Ryner bought
a farm there on which he was the resident owner two years. He sold out again
and went to Iowa and bought a farm in Wayne County. After a residence of six
years in the Hawkeye State he returned for a permanent location to Warren
County. He bought a farm of satisfactory location, upon which he is now
living. It is in good agricultural condition and is well supplied with farm
Mr. Ryner’s wife died in July, 1859, leaving
two sons, George and Charles. He was subsequently married, Oct. 29, 1859, to
Mary E. Gordon, the daughter of William S. and Anna (Wilson) Gordon. The former
was a native of Washington Co., Ky., and a son of Rev. Joel and Nancy Gordon.
Rev. Joel Gordon was a native of Scotland, and at a very early day emigrated to
the United States, and settled in Kentucky, where he lived until his death. He
was a minister of the Baptist Church, yet was the owner of slaves. He reared a
large family, and his son, William S., became a planter. He married and reared
a family of ten children, of whom Mrs. Ryner was the fourth child. All of the
children are living, married, and have families. The following is the record.
Elizabeth J., wife of William White, of Stark Co., Ill.; Joel W. lives in
Oregon; Nancy A., wife of George Taylor, of Harrison Co., Mo.; Carrie, wife of
James Bryner; Lucinda B., wife of John Gowings, of Burke Co., Iowa; Melinda,
married Milton Bryner, of Warren Co., Ill.; Harriet is the wife of Peter Conniff,
a resident of Ford Co., Ill.; Joseph lives in Benton Co., Iowa, and John near
Youngstown, this county.
Mrs. Ryner was born Aug. 4, 1838, in
McDonough Co., Ill., where her parents moved several years before and settled on
a farm. Her father and mother were both members of the Christian Church. In
politics the former was a Whig in early life, but later became a Republican. He
subsequently moved to Cold Brook Township, this county, where his death occurred
in the autumn of 1859. His widow now lives with her daughter, Mrs. Carrie
Bryner, a twin sister of Mrs. Ryner, at Mt. Auburn, Iowa. Nellie, Eugene, Laura
and Ollie are the names of the children of the household of Mr. and Mrs. Ryner.
Nellie married Adamson Shriver, and lives in Wayne Co., Iowa. They have one
son, Carl. Mr. and Mrs. Ryner are members of the Christian Church at Gerlaw,
and in politics Mr. R. is a staunch Democrat. Portrait and
Biographical Album of Warren County, Illinois (1886), published by Chapman
Brothers of Chicago, p. 466, 469.
MARTIN, ex-President of the First national Bank at Monmouth, a gentleman of
more than ordinary business ability, retired from the active labors of life on a
competency acquired by individual effort and good judgment, coupled with economy
and perseverance, resides on section 28, Monmouth Township, near the limits of
the city of that name. He was born in the North of Ireland, Aug. 15, 1816, and
is of Scotch-Irish extraction. His father, William Martin, was a native of the
Emerald Isle, and resided there until his heath, engaged in the vocation of
farming. His death occurred about 1845. His wife, Mary Forbes, was born in the
North of Ireland and was likewise of Scotch-Irish extraction, and also died in
her native country.
The gentleman whose name heads this sketch,
was next to the youngest in order of birth of a family of six children, and he
and a brother, James, (who is residing in Page County, Iowa, where he is engaged
in farming and cattle raising) are the only survivors. Joseph Martin resided
with his parents on his native Isle until he reached the age of 19 years, when
he was united in marriage to Miss Jane Groves, a daughter of Joseph and Jane
Groves. Soon after they were weded (sic), they crossed the briny waters and
located in the United States, the date thereof being 1834. His first location
was in New Castle, Lawrance Co., Pa., where after residing for a short time, he
moved to Mercer Co., Pa., where he purchased land and for 12 years followed
agricultural pursuits. Leaving Pennsylvania he came to Galena, this State, and
in the neighborhood of that place purchased 200 acres of land, which had been
partly worked for lead. He re-opened the mines and succeeded in striking an
exceedingly rich vein, which yielded him about $25,000. He continued to operate
his mines in that vicinity for about nine years, until 1860, when in the fall,
he came to this county and purchased 160 acres of partly improved land, in
Tompkins Township, where he operated only a short time; then rented his land and
moved to Monmouth with a view to educating his children. He afterward sold his
farm in Tompkins township and purchased other property and cleared $8,000. His
success as a speculator has been more than ordinary. In the fall of 1863, he
with others, established the First National Bank at Monmouth, with a capital of
$50,000, which was later increased to $75,000. The institution at times
represented a capital of $500,000, and was doing a good and increasing business
until its recent failure. Mr. Martin was a stock holder for about 20 years, and
was elected President of the institution sometime previous to its failure, but
no word of censure has ever been heard against Mr. Martin on account of the
disaster to the bank, it being too well known by every depositor and by the
citizens of Warren County, who was the cause of its failure. Mr. Martin has
been actively engaged in many financial operations, and at present is the
proprietor of a 200 acre farm in Page Co., Iowa, which is under an advanced
state of cultivation. He owns 22 acres on which he at present resides, and also
a large brick store-house, of which the Y. M. C. A. occupy the second story.
The first wife of Mr. Martin died in
Monmouth in 1871. He was again married in that city to Mrs. Jennie Patton, nee
Lee, widow of Rev. Samuel Patton, of Detroit, and daughter of Judge
Thomas and Nancy (Wilson) Lee, natives of Pennsylvania and Ohio respectively, of
American parentage and Scotch descent. She was born in Cadiz, Ohio, Oct. 5,
1830. Her father was formerly a farmer by occupation, but later in life engaged
in the business of a tanner, and still later was connected with politics, being
almost continuously the incumbent of an official position thereafter until his
death, which occurred in Cadiz, Ohio, in 1853, during his 57th year.
Her mother died Sept. 20, 1885, at the venerable age of 87 years. Mrs. Martin
has borne her husband one child, - Nannie L., born June 12, 1872. Seven
children were born to Mr. Martin by his first union, - William W., is married
and lives in Salem, Oregon, the maiden name of his wife being Belle Myers; James
is also married and is likewise a resident of Salem, Oregon; the other five
children are deceased. Mr. and Mrs. Martin are members of the United
Presbyterian Church at Monmouth, to the building of which Mr. Martin contributed
$2,000. He is present trustee and member of the session.
In politics he is a staunch supporter of the
principles of the Republican party, having always opposed the institution of
slavery, and during the late Civil War was a strong and unswerving Union man.Portrait
and Biographical Album of Warren County, Illinois (1886), published by Chapman
Brothers of Chicago, p. 293-294.
RAY, engaged in stock-raising and agricultural pursuits, on section 8,
Berwick Township, where he resides and owns 200 acres of land, was born in
Kentucky, Feb. 18, 1819, and is a son of Hickerson Ray, a native of Virginia,
who emigrated to this State in 1845, locating in Roseville Township, this
county, where he died about 1855.
The father was married to Miss Sarah Kelly
about 1815. She was born in Virginia, about 1800, and died in 1881, in this
county. Of their union the following children were born: Wyatt, Orville,
William, Thomas and Elizabeth, twins, Hickerson, John C., Jane, Emily, Harriet
Mr. Ray came to Warren county as early as
1840, for a time worked by the month. By using economy and diligence, for which
he is noted, he had put himself in such shape that by 1845 he was able to
purchase some land, and began farming for himself. At that time he located in
Roseville Township. He moved from there to Floyd Township, where he lived until
Orville Ray was united in marriage with Miss
Jane Smith, Feb. 1, 1845. She was born in March, 1827, in Kentucky, and has
become the mother of seven children, six of whom are living, namely, Archie M.,
Ira T., Harvey L., Eliza, Victoria and Silas O. John H. died in infancy.
Archie married Elizabeth Welch, who died leaving two children, Charles and
Mary. Ira T. married Miss Millee Ayers, and they have one child. They live in
Gage County, Neb. Harvey selected for a wife Milinda Jane Carr: the names of
their two children are Mary E. and Mable (sic). Eliza became the wife of John
W. Smith, of Ringgold County, Iowa, and is the mother of four children – Nora,
Henry, Arthur and Lena. Victoria is the wife of Joshua Roswell. They have four
children living, as follows: Arnold N., Charles, deceased, Mina Ester and
Harvey. Silas O. lives with his parents.
Mr. Ray is the owner of 200 acres of land
where he resides, and in addition to its cultivation, is devoting a considerable
part of his time to raising and dealing in fine horses. He has some fine
roadsters and heavy draught horses, 23 head in all, and in this branch of his
vocation he is meeting with marked success. In religion, Mr. and Mrs. Ray are
members of the Baptist Church, and in politics Mr. R. votes with the Democratic
The father of Mrs. Ray, wife of the subject
of this notice, John Smith, was born in Kentucky in 1800, and died in this State
in 1839. He was married in 1822, to a Miss Usurla [perhaps Ursula] Hendricks,
who was born in Virginia, in 1800. She died in April, 1873, in this State,
after having borne her husband eight children, namely: Elizabeth, David, Nancy,
James A. J., John T., William H., Brison B. and Keziah Jane. The parents came
to this State during the Black Hawk War, in 1832. They were consistent members
of the Baptist Church, and in politics her father was a strong supporter of the
principles advocated by the Democratic party. Portrait and
Biographical Album of Warren County, Illinois (1886), published by Chapman
Brothers of Chicago, p. 565.
Nealy Gordon, Postmaster at Kirkwood village, is a native of Georgia,
having been born in Covington, Newton County, that State, March 31, 1836. The
parents of Mr. Gordon, Cornelius and Agnes McKenzie Gordon were natives of North
Carolina. They emigrated to this state in 1855, locating in Henderson County,
where they resided until 1862, and where the father followed the occupation of a
farmer, During the year named, they came to this county, and settled in Kirkwood
village, where they lived until their deaths, which took place in January, 1869,
and in April, 1870, respectively.
whose name we place at the head of this biographical notice, lived with his
parents until their death. He received a good common-school education, and after
he attained his majority rented a farm and was engaged as an agriculturist until
1862. At this period the nation became imperiled by the Southern States
seceding, and the call having gone, forth for brave hearts and strong hands to
battle for its perpetuity, Mr. Gordon, enlisted in Co K. 84th Ill Vol. Inf. He
participated in the battles of Stone River, Chickamauga, Atlanta, Franklin and
Nashville, and many smaller battles and skirmishes, receiving an honorable
discharge in June 1865.
Returning from the war, Mr.
Gordon engaged in the nursery business at Kirkwood and was thus occupied until
he received his commission as Postmaster at that place, and has held the office
until the present time. April 21, 1874, Miss Mary Wood, a native of Henderson
county, this state, became the wife of the subject of this notice, and to him
she has borne two children--- Frank W. and Fred C. Socially, Mr. Gordon is a
member of the G. A. R. post, belonging to Post No 81, at Kirkwood. Religiously,
he and his wife are both members of the United Presbyterian Church.
typed by Foxie----above & below--
Aleri Rodgers Graham,
Rodgers Graham, M. D., a medical practitioner at Littler York, was born
in the township of Hale, in Warren County, August 24, 1854. His parents
are pioneers of the township where he was born, and are John R. and Mary
obtained a good common-school education as a foundation, in his boyhood,
and afterwards attended Monmouth Academy one year. In 1878, he commenced
the study of medicine under the preceptor-ship of the medical firm of
Hamilton, Marshall & Holliday, at Monmouth. After leaving their office,
he matriculated at Rush Medical College in Chicago, and took his degree
as M. D. at that institution in 1881.
inaugurated his career as physician and surgeon at Cameron, in his
native county, and operated there two years. Since 1883, he has
prosecuted the business of his profession at Little York. He is building
up a popular and prosperous practice, and his thorough preparation for
the responsibilities of the calling to which he has devoted his life, is
fast winning for him the confidence of a substantial patronage.
Political belief and relations, Dr. Graham is a Democrat.
marriage of Dr. Graham to Miss Emma Alcock was celebrated Feb 14, 1880.
They have one child, named Frederick. The mother was born in Suffolk
shire, England. The Doctor and his wife are members of the United
Brazillai Parker, deceased, was a a
pioneer of Warren County, who located in the
of Spring Grove rather what is now known as such, in 1835. He was born
at Snow Hill, Worcester Co., Md, April 18, 1808. His home was there
until he was nine years of age, when his parents removed to Kentucky, in
which State he remained until his removal to Warren County, in the year
state. His father died in Kentucky soon after the family removed to that
State. Mr. Parker was accompanied to Warren County by his mother and
sister. The journey from Ohio was made overland, they bringing with them
their household furniture and also what stock they owned. Mr. Parker
built a log house and rived the shingles to cover the roof. After making
provisions for shelter he commenced improving the land which --- missing
a page found it!!! -- he had pre-empted. He placed in order for
successful farming about 100 acres of the tract that he at first
pre-empted and from time to time continued his purchases of real estate
until he was at the time of his death the possessor of upwards of 1,000
acres. He had at various times visited Nebraska and Iowa and made large
purchases of land in both States.
was a man of zeal, energy and industry and was prominent in his method
of pushing such projects as he was interested in to a successful
Politically, he was a republican in later days. In the early times, when
he was first interested in politics, he was a Whig. He joined the ranks
of the "Grand Old Party" when it was organized.
twice married. Ellen D. Pease became his wife in 1843. She was born near
Rockland, Maine, and her parents were pioneers in Mercer Co., Ill. To
Mr. and Mrs. Parker there were five children born. Henry C. is a citizen
of Monmouth township. Adda P. is married to Phelps Paine, a resident of
Lincoln, Neb. Rhoda H. is the wife of George Herbert, of Spring Grove
Township. Brazillai is the next in order of birth. Sarah is deceased.
Mrs. parker, the mother of the children just enumerated, died in 1851.
In 1854, Mr. Parker formed a second matrimonial relation with Mrs. Zoa
Ulmer. There were two children from this union. Mary W. is married to
George F. Miner, of Monmouth. Eva is deceased. Mr. Parker died may 19,
a pioneer of Warren County, of 1835, was born Feb 07, 1812, in Cortland
Co., N. Y. His father, David Ingersoll, was a native of Massachusetts
and the mother was born in Ireland. Her name before her marriage was
Jane McCoy. The elder Ingersoll located with his family in Broome Co.,
N. Y. when his son was 12 years of age. He was there resident until the
fall of the year named, in which he determined to seek a home in the
"far West" He removed from his home in the Empire State as far as
Syracuse, where he took passage on a canal-boat for Buffalo. He crossed
the lakes from that place to Chicago, and there hired a team which
brought him to Peoria. He came thence to Warren County on foot.
had settled in Kelly Township in 1833, and in the fall of 1835 Mr.
Ingersoll joined the family there. He engaged in farming on his father's
estate. In the spring following he went to Knoxville and passed two
months there working at his trade of carpentry. He returned to the home
of his father and pursued the same occupation in Warren County. In the
spring of 1838, he went back to the State of his nativity and remained
there about a year and a half. In the autumn of 1839 he
again came to Kelly township, and lived with the family of his father
until the succeeding spring. In the course of that season he built a
house for his father and got out the timber preparatory to the
construction of a saw-mill. He continued to follow the trade of
carpentry for some years, as he had opportunity,
In 1846, he
was married, and bought a farm on section 33 of the same township in
which his parents resided, and passing the intervening years between
that time and 1875 in farming and working at his trade. In the year last
mentioned he retired from he crest and responsibilities of active life
and bought the place where he has since reside in that part of Alexis
included in Henderson Township., in Mercer County.
1846 he was married to Cecilia Potter. She was born in Ashtabula County,
Ohio, March 14, 1826, and is the daughter of Chester and Eliza Castle
Potter. Her parents were natives of Litchfield, Conn., and came to
Fulton Co., IL in 1831. After passing a winter there they came, in the
spring of 1832, to Warren County. They located at Rockwell's Mills,
where they resided at the time of the Black Hawk War. The family was in
the block-house in the fort at the time of the murder of William Martin,
in 1832. An account of this affair will be found in various parts of
this work in connection with the sketches of those when were witnesses
of the fight of the savages with the scalp of their victim. In 1833 Mr.
Potter removed to Kelly Township, and in the same year he erected a
grist-mill on Main Henderson Creek. Soon after he built a saw-mill in
connection with the mill already standing. Mr. and Mrs. Potter lived in
Kelly Townships until he events of their death. Mr.. and Mrs.
Ingersoll had one child which died at the age of nine
Hon James H. Stewart,
Jude of Warren County court, was born Jan 05, 1818 at Elkton, Todd Co.,
KY., and is the son of Rev. Wm K. and Lucretia P. Moore Stewart, natives
of North and South Carolina respectively, and descended from Scotch and
Scotch-Irish ancestry. They were married in Christian Co., KY. April 01,
1817, and at once repaired to Elkton, where their three sons and two
daughters were born.
Mr. Stewart was of the Presbyterian Church; came to Illinois in 1830;
had charge of congregation at Vandalia five years; there buried his wife
in 1831; removed to Macomb in 1836, where he preached to his people as
long as health permitted, and died April 15, 1852, in the 62d year of
his life. He was a ripe scholar, a graduate of Hampden-Sidney College of
Virginia, and was a preacher of recognized force and merit from the time
he was 21 years of age.
H. Stewart as the eldest son and was educated at Hanover College, Ind.
from whence he graduated in 1836, and at once began the study of law,
under James Allen, and completing his course of reading in the office of
Cyrus Walker, of Macomb, Ill. He was admitted to the Bar at Springfield,
Jan 01, 1840, and immediately commenced to practice at Lewistown, Fulton
county, this state from there, at the end of a year, he removed to
Millersburg, Mercer County, where he remained in close practice four and
half years. He then hung out his shingle at Oquawka, and there added 15
years to his life and much to his knowledge of the law. He was then at
Knoxville about a year, and first came to Monmouth in the spring of
1861. Here he has spent the matured years of his life. Judge Stewart,
the nester of Warren County Bar, has a reputation as wide as the borders
of the State in which he resides. His name will be transmitted width the
history of the community with whose interest he has been so long
identified, and the posterity of those whose lives we chronicle to-day,
will know him as a man of honor among men and worthy of their emulation.
Stewart's official career began at Oquawka, in 1851, when he was elected
Stat's Attorney, for the 15th Judicial Circuit. In 1856, after a
division of the district, he was twice re-elected to the same position
for the tenth circuit. in 1881, he was chosen County Judge of Warren, to
fill out the unexpired term of Judge Willets, deceased, and in 1882,
regularly elected for the ensuing term of four years. The Judge is a
Democrat in whom there is no guile, and that he is fully appreciated by
his party is attested by his record. He has twice been its candidate for
Representative from this county, but that body being notorious as a
Senatorial Manufacturing Machine, the good people usually select men
especially gifted (?) for that important duty rather than men possessed
of knowledge as law-makers. the Judge was alternate delegate to the St.
Louis national Democratic Convention of 1876, and the delegate to that
body at Cincinnati, in 1889.
as a poor boy, Judge Stewart rounds life at a ripe age possessed of a
handsome competency. He is largely interested in agriculture and
banking, which receives much of his personal attention. He was married
in McDonough County, this State, June 30, 1842, to Isabella C. McKamy,
who was born in Roane Co., Tenn. Jan 22, 1824, and has borne to him ten
children, only three of whom are living--- William K., whose biography
appears in this volume; Isabella, wife of D. M. Hammack, an attorney at
Burlington, Iowa, and Mary M. Lucretia P. was born Aug 18, 18623 and
died Aug 18, 1878; the rest of his children died in infancy. We
felicitate ourselves on being enable to add to this biographical notice,
as well as to the portrait feature of our work, a reproduction of a life
like photograph of Judge Stewart which was recently taken.
David Allard is a
farmer in the township of Point Pleasant and is the owenre of 240 acres
of land situated on section 8. He was born April 6, 1824, in the town of
Eaton, Carroll Co., N. H. of which State his father, Jacob Allard was
also a native. Job Allard, his grandfather, was one of the earliest
settlers in the "Granite State," New Hampshire, where he took up a
tract of land all in timber, which was located 18 miles from any
settlement of whites. It was in Carroll County, and he cleared a farm,
on which he resided until his death. His son Jacob was born on the same
farm, and was the heir to the estate of the father who had done the work
of the pioneer on it. Sally Thurston Allard, the wife and mother, was
also a native of Eaton in the same county.
To her and
her husband ten children were born, of whom six are now living: David is
the eldest; Jane is the wife of Daniel Young, and they are living in
freedom, Carroll Co., N. H.; Joseph S. is married to Miss Fannie Wornom
and is a farmer in this county; Eliza is Mrs. Bradley Davis, and with
her husband, resides in Stockton, Cal.; Martha is the wife of Charles
Davis, and lives in Iowa; Rose A. is the youngest member of the family
living, and is married to F. H. Baldwin. They live in Oregon.
was reared and educated in the town where he was born. At the age of 20
he went to Belfast, Maine, and there passed two years in acquiring a
knowledge of blacksmithing He returned to his native State and operated
a as a "jour" one year. July 2, 1846, Mr. Allard was married to Miss
Harriet Patch. She was born in Eaton, N. H., and is the daughter of
Dennis and Susan Drew patch he then purchased a farm in the vicinity of
the old homestead, and there opened a shop in his own interest. He
managed the farm and the shop together until 1835, when he sold both,
preparatory to moving to Illinois. he settled in Warren County and
bought a farm near Jackson corners, in the township of Ellison. On this
he resided until 1864, when he removed to Monmouth, to secure for his
children the advantages of the schools of that place. He was engaged in
the pursuit of his trade in the Carr Plow shops there two years, and at
the expiration of that time he purchased a farm in Point Pleasant
Township on which he has since resided. It has the usual complement of
trees and farm buildings. It has also a grove of forest trees, including
white ash, walnut, butternut, ash-leaved maple, white maple cottonwood,
willow and chestnut. These cover six acres, and are situated on a mound
which is said by surveyors to be the highest point between the two
rivers east and west.
To Mr. and
Mrs. Allard were born ten children, eight of whom are now living; Frank,
Vina, Rose, Josephine, Orrin, Charles, William and Elgena.
owning 67 acres of good tillable land in Tompkins
Township, and also 480 acres in Boone Co., Neb, and residing upon
section 19, of the township named, where he is engaged in the pursuits
of an agriculturist, was born in Madison Co., N. Y. on April 08, 1829,
his parents being Jacob and Elizabeth Coss Bennett natives of Montgomery
Co., New York.
The gentleman whose name heads this biographical notice,
lived with his parents until he was eight years of age, at which time
his father died. He then absent from his mother until he was 14 years
old, when he returned and resided with her for four years, receiving at
her hands a good common school education. He then left home and worked
out for five years by the month. In 1854, he came to this State, and
became a citizen of this county, where he was engaged in the occupation
of a farmer, working for others and doing odd jobs for one season.
During that year he purchased the 89 acre tract of land on which he is
at present residing. moved upon it with his family and at once engaged
in the vocation which he had followed more or less all his life.
he erected a fine residence upon his farm, together with
a good barn and necessary outbuildings and set out trees, ornamental and
fruit and cultivated an improved the place, until it presents a fine
appearance to the passer-by- of to-day. In his chosen vocation, Mr.
Bennett is meeting with that success, which push perseverance and energy
are sure to bring.
In 1857, Mr. Bennett was united in marriage with
Miss Liza Thorp, a native of New York, and a daughter of John
Thorp. Her father came to this State in 1854 settling in this county,
where with his wife have lived until their death. In politics, Mr. B.
votes with the republican party, and is regarded as one of the leading
representatives of his vocation in his township.
John Bennett, who after
many struggles which he has encountered in his more than fourscore
years, is now able to sit in the midst of peace and plenty, while
viewing the golden sunset of life in the domestic quietude of his farm,
on section 16, Tompkins Township. He was born in Montgomery Co., N. Y.
July 13, 1800, his parents being James and Hannah Sharp Bennett, natives
of South Carolina and New York respectively.
of this notice was an inmate of the parental household until 20 years of
age. He received such education as was to be acquire at the district
schools, and in 1824, after leaving the house of his parents he
purchased a tract of farm land on time, which, however, owing to
reverses, he was unable to pay for. After this first bitter experience
with the ups and downs of life, he was occupied until 18454 in
agricultural pursuits on rented land in his natve State. In 1854, Mr.
Bennett came to Illinois and purchase a farm of 80 acre tract and pursed
the farm upon which he has since resided. His improvements are of the
best quality and his farm is indicate of that puce and energy which has
characterized the life of Mr. Bennett.
has been twice married. his first marriage was to Miss Lydia thorp,
January 1821, and by whom he had two children. Miss Melinda Thorp became
his second wife. In politics Mr. Bennett is a strong advocate of the
principles of the Republican party. In religion he and his wife are both
members of the Methodist Episcopal Church.
David C. Brent,
general farmer and stock raiser, residing on section 18, Ellison
Township, was born in Lancaster Co., Va Oct 12, 1821,k and is a son of
Kenner Brent (see sketch of Paul Brent.) Our subject, David C., is the
eldest of the living children, and was 14 years old when he came to
Illinois. He lived on the farm with his father until his marriage, in
the meantime acquiring a fair English education. His marriage was
celebrated on the 7th of March, 1850, in Ellison Township, the lady
chosen to become his wife being Miss Jane, daughter of William Brown,
from Lancaster Co., Va., who was by occupational farmer and
carpenter, his demise occurring in July, 1833, in this township. Mrs.
Brent was the eldest child of her father's family of seven children, and
was born Jan. 01, 1830./ She was only a small child when her parents
came to this township, where she remained with them until her marriage.
circle of Mr. and Mrs. Brent has been blessed by the birth of 12
children, thee of whom are deceased. The living are six sons and three
daughters, as follows; Elizabeth C., born April 25, 1854; Augusta,
February 22, 1856; William K., December 14, 1857; Melvin D., January 08,
1860; Thomas, February 14, 1862; Manie, June 17, 1864; Edmund, July 26,
1868; Frank, October 15, 1870; Joseph A., November 27, 1872.
marriage, Mr. Brent settled on the farm where he now leaves and is the
possessor of 304 acres of excellent land, nearly all of which is
Mrs. B. is
a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church. Mr. Brent has held the
office of Road commissioner, and politically, is identified with the
Republican party, being a staunch advocate of its principles.
Nealy A. Chapin,
banker and merchant at Kirkwood, is not only one of the best known men
in the county, but is classed among the early pioneers of this part of
the State. His parents, Ebenezer and Catherine Daggett Chapin, were
natives of New York and Vermont Respectively. They came west to Indiana
in 1832, and were living in Crawford county, that State, when Nealy A.
was born, January 28, 1828......
I lost track & got off on something else will look this guy back up if I
happen to forget email if you need it or Carol. thanks my book is an
original older one and it's in pieces and I get lost looking at someone
Charles R. Russell.
Among the prominent young farmers of Warren County, we have
the subject of this personal narrative. He lives on section 14, Lenox
Township, and is a son of Jonathan Russell, a prominent farmer of
the county, whose biography is given in this Album. His mother, Lydia A.
Evans Russell was a native of Pennsylvania, Charles was born in
Chautauqua county, N. Y. August 29, 1859, He received a good education
in the schools of this county, his parents having moved here when hew as
about a year old. Here he was reared and has since lived. He is the
owner of 70 acres of good, tillable land in Lenox township, section 22.
He is a member of the order of the golden Rule, and in political faith
is a Republican.
was married at Monmouth Sept 4, 1884, to Lonie L. Shaw, daughter of
Clarkston Shaw and Melissa J. Codington, natives of New York and
Kentucky respectively. Mrs. R. was born in Spring Grove Township
November 01, 1864.
Charles T. Page is
senior member of the firms of Page & Pinkerton, dealers in hardware,
stoves and furniture, and manufacturers and jobbers of tin ware, at
Monmouth himself and partner being the successors to a business
established by Chancy Hardin in the early history of Monmouth. Mr.
Hardin sold out to M. C. Churchill, who sold the business to Mr. page in
1874. Mr. pinkerton coma into the firm in 1876, at which time the trade
was simply in hardware and stoves. In 1879, they added furniture and at
this writing their business in that line is the larges in the city...
(Foxie's note: wonder what they'd think of Wally World. Tee-hee smiles)
was born at Hillsdale, Mich, April 18, 1849. His parents Rev. William
and Frances Durand page, natives of Connecticut, were married in York
State, removed to Michigan and subsequently to Rockford, Ill., where the
senior Mr. Page died, in 1856. His widow resides at this writing
(October, 1885) with her eldest son at Ft. Wayne, Ind.
Page was educated at Rockford, and when about 19 years of age, was
employed by the Winnebago National Bank, at that place, as bookkeeper.
He remained there four years and went to Chicago as assistant cashier of
the Home National Bank, a position he filled two years, coming thence to
at Alexis, this Sate, Sept. 18, 1876, Miss Bertha Alexander, daughter of
John E. Alexander, and the two children born of this union are named
respectively Mary Florence and Edna. Mr. and Mrs.. page are members of
the Presbyterian Church.
William M. Lair, a
well known farmer of Kelly township, is the son of William Lair, one of
the earliest pioneers of Warren County. The senior lair was born in
Warren County, KY, April 03, 1797. His father was a German by birth and
his mother was born in North Carolina. they were among the very first
settlers in Warren Co., KY., and their son, the father of the gentleman
who is represented in this sketch, was the first white child born there.
He was reared to be a farmer, and passed the ole of his youth in his
married there, February 05, 1827, to Sarah R. (Ralston) Wallace. She was
the daughter of William and Nancy Smith Wallace and was also a native of
Warren Co., Ky. Her grandfather, Robert Wallace, came from Ireland. She
was born May 08, 1809. In 1832 they left their native county with their
family, setting out with their own conveyance, for the State of
Illinois. They brought with them their household appurtenances and
camped and cooked by the wayside. They were four weeks on the road. They
passed a year on the Spoon River, in Knox county, and after reaching
Warren County settled for a summer in Monmouth. Mr. lair then bought
land on section 30 in "Township 12 Range 1" now Kelly Township.
about perfecting the arrangements common to pioneers, built a log house
for the temporary accommodation of his household, and proceeded with all
possible dispatch to work of improving his claim. Soon after, the firs
log cabin was replaced by a double hewed-log cabin structure of goodly
dimensions, which constituted their home until 1858. In that year the
family removed to the southeast quarter of the same section and once
more lived in a pioneer's cabin. This they inhabited until 1861. They
then removed to a school-house in which they lived six weeks, while
their own house was in preparation. The new house was a commodious frame
building, and was the home of the senior ( William M's father) Lair
during the remaining portion of his life. His demise took place April
07, 1872. six of the children born to him and his wife thirteen in all
are still living. They are:
who married Mary A. Quinn, and to them were born four children, viz;
Annie, William, Addison, and Fannie. Addison is deceased. Robert lives
in Spring grove township.
the wife of Dwight Corning, and is the mother of ten children; the names
of the six living being Benjamin, Jennie, Jessie, Clark, Helen, and
Alice. The family resides in Crawford County, Kans.
the wife of Samuel McKahan, and they are also residents of Crawford
County and the parents of five children, namely: Charley, may, Hattie,
Altie and an infant deceased.
married R. B. Ball. Rosa and Fielding are the names of their children.
The reside in Rice county Kans.
Ella J. is
the wife of Ferdinand Burtschy, a resident of Nodaway County, Mo. Four
children were in their family-- Etta, Ada, Freddie and Gracie. Freddy is
The next in
order of birth was William M. the subject of this notice.
Catherine, who is now deceased, was the wife of James T. Gilmore.
Fielding A. is also deceased, but had married Margaret S. Pedigo. Anna
E. who is also deceased, became the wife of Irvin Robinson. The
remaining five children died while young.
Lair was born on the homestead of his father, in Kelly township, Feb 05,
1853. He had the training and education of the farmers' sons of that
period and, in connection with his mother, ably manages the estate left
by his father. A view of the old homestead is given on page #428.
married Aug 2, 1876, to Nancy A. Pedigo.
family now includes four children Florence, Clark, Maggie and Robert.
Mrs. lair was born in Kentucky in the same county in which her
husband's parents were early settlers. The date of her birth was Sept
04, 1`857. She was the daughter of William and Elizabeth Milligan Pedigo
who were natives of Warren County, Ky. They came to this county about
1860, and settled in Kelly township. The father died in 1872. His widow
is still living and resides in Iowa. Mr. Pedigo had previously been
married, by which union he had five children, and by his second marriage
had ten children. Woweee--- 15 children all together sounds like
my 5th great grandfather. Three of the fifteen are deceased.
were typed by Carol Parrish of
Warren Co., IL and emailed to me. Have a happy day. thanks so
N. Thomas Patton,
of the firm of Patton & Beedee, dealers in flour, seeds, pumps,
agricultural implements, lime, cement, etc., at Monmouth, Ill., was born
in Adams Co., Ohio, Nov. 20, 1831. The parents of Mr. Patton, John S.
and Jane (McCague) Patton, reared two sons and two daughters. The
senior Mr. Patton was twice married (see biography of R. S. Patton).
The subject of this biographical notice
was brought up on his father’s farm. Of the children Mr. Patton was the
third in order of birth and the second son. At the common schools he
acquired a good English education and taught successfully for several
years in Ohio. In 1855 he came to Illinois and resided in Peoria County
up to 1868, teaching school in the meantime, five or six winters, and
carrying on a farm during the summer. In 1868 he removed to Warren
County and was engaged in the occupation of an agriculturist, in Hale
Township, for about ten years, coming thence to Monmouth, where he has
since been engaged in his present business. His first partner was M. A.
Gidding; his second, D. C. Goudy; and the third, Mr. Beedee. Mr. Patton
was a successful farmer and is likewise a popular and successful
merchant. Before coming to Monmouth, he was two years School Trustee,
and since residing here he has represented his ward two years in the
Mr. Patton formed a matrimonial
alliance with Miss Esther Stevenson, in Marshall Co., Ill., Oct. 16,
1856. Mrs. Patton died in 1877, leaving four children – Ella J. (Mrs.
R. Miller), Charles, Nannie B. and Alice. Mr. Patton’s second marriage
occurred at Monmouth, in 1878, the present Mrs. Patton having been Mrs.
Eliza J. Davidson, nee Black. Religiously, both Mr. and Mrs.
Patton are members of the United Presbyterian Church.
Portrait and Biographical Album of Warren County, Illinois (1886),
Chapman Brothers of Chicago, p. 423.
ROBERT S. PATTON,
Treasurer of Warren County, was elected first in 1879 and re-elected
in 1882, term to expire in December, 1886. The gentleman whose name
heads this notice was born in Adams Co., Ohio, Jan. 16, 1837, and was
the first child of five born to John S. and Sarah (Morrison) Patton,
natives respectively of Virginia and Ohio. They were of Irish
extraction. The father was married before to Miss McCague, and by that
marriage four children were the result – George A., Mary J., Nathaniel
T. and Martha. Of this marriage all are deceased except Nathaniel T.
He married Esther Stevenson, she being a native of Ohio and now
deceased. The five children of the second marriage are Robert S.,
Carrie S., Eliza M., John H. and Sarah; the latter died while young.
Cary S. married Miss Lizzie Harsha; Eliza married J. B. Woods; John H.
married Sarah M. Woods. Judge Robert Morrison, grandfather of Mr. P.,
on the maternal side of the house, was an officer in the war of 1812.
His grandfather, Nathaniel Patton, on the paternal side of the house,
was one of the first defenders of his country.
Mr. Patton settled in Hale Township in
1860. His parents came the next year and in that township spent the
rest of their lives, the senior Mr. Patton dying in 1863, aged 64 years,
and his widow in 1876, at the same age.
Robert S. Patton lived on his father’s
farm in Hale Township, which he had previously bought from the heirs,
until the spring of 1880, when he removed to Monmouth to take charge of
the office that he was elected to fill. He has always been a consistent
Republican, but his selection for the office which he so ably filled was
made not so much on account of his politics, as his fitness. With the
exception of the School Treasury of his township, which he handled for
12 years, the present is the only official position he has ever filled
or sought to fill.
Mr. Patton was married in his native
county to Miss Sarah Ann Sheppard, on the 2d of February, 1860, and of
the seven children born to him, Anna S., George, John and Guy are
living, and three were buried in infancy. Mrs. Patton was the daughter
of Johnston and Mary (Henry) Sheppard. She was born in Adams Co., Ohio,
June, 1839. Her parents came from Ohio. Her parents are of American
origin as far back as known.
Mr. Patton belongs to no secret order,
but has been many years a consistent member of the United Presbyterian
Church.Portrait and Biographical Album of Warren
County, Illinois (1886), Chapman Brothers of Chicago, p. 558, 561.
EDWARD L. BLODGETT,
a farmer of this county, having a good title to 280 acres of land,
located on sections 4 and 9, Hale Township, where he resides and is
engaged in its cultivation, was born in Orleans County, N. Y., Feb. 4,
1834. He received a common school education in Indiana, his parents
having removed to that State when he was but six years of age. In the
latter State, Edward L. lived, labored and developed into manhood. One
year after attaining his majority, in 1856, he came to this State,
locating in Henderson County, where he resided for upwards of a year,
engaged in farming, then returned to Indiana. Two years he remained in
the Hoosier State, and in the spring of 1860 came back to Illinois, this
time locating in Warren County.
On coming to this county, Mr. Blodgett
worked out for about four years, when he settled in Hale Township. He
was a soldier in the late civil war, having
enlisted Feb. 20, 1864, in the Tenth Ill. Vet. Inf., and served his
country for about 18 months. He was engaged in all the battles in which
his company took part participating in the grand review at Washington;
was with Sherman in his march to the sea, and received an honorable
discharge at the close of the war. He then returned to Warren County,
and engaged in the vocation of agriculture, and has lived here following
that occupation until the present time. The major portion of his land
is under an advanced state of cultivation.
The marriage of Mr. Blodgett dates July
3, 1866, at which time, in Henderson County, Miss Dolly Vanwinkle became
his wife. She was born in Jefferson Co., Iowa, and has borne her
husband eight children, whose names are recorded as follows: Wilson M.,
Joseph R., Margaret, Mary B., Edward L., Clara, James A. and Emma.
Mrs. Blodgett is a member of the
Methodist Episcopal Church, and her husband politically is a believer in
and a supporter of the principles advocated by the Republican party.
Portrait and Biographical Album of Warren County,
Illinois (1886), Chapman Brothers of Chicago, p. 471-472.
became a citizen of what is now Kelly Township in 1848. He was born in
1815, in Augusta County, Va., and is the son of George Crosby, a native
of Pennsylvania. The latter was born in 1862, and settled in the “Old
Dominion” in 1804. He bought a farm in Augusta County and was its owner
and occupant through the remainder of his life. He was by trade a
blacksmith, and during the second contest with Great Britain he made
horseshoes for the use of the soldiers of the American army. His wife
was a native of the county where her son was born. He was reared on the
farm and was a pupil in what was call the “subscription school.” He
grew to the age of manhood in Virginia and married Maria Wagner, in
September, 1839. She was born in Augusta County, in 1817.
For the next eight years Mr. and Mrs.
Crosby remained on the homestead of his father and in 1847 started to
find a home in the West. They traveled to Harrison County, Ind., with
two horses and a wagon, and lived there about a year. In March, 1848,
they again turned their faces toward the setting sun, setting out on the
16th of that month with the same outfit as that with which
they had left Virginia the year previous. They arrived in Warren County
on the 2d day of April, and took possession of a claim which the father
had secured the fall previous. It consisted of 80 acres, and after a
few years it was found that the title was defective and Mr. Crosby was
obliged to pay for the property a second time. Since he secured himself
in its ownership he has been a continuous resident on the place. He is
at present the owner also of 80 acres on section 1, in the same
township, and 21 acres of timber on section 13. He and his wife have
nine children living – Ruth, May, Elizabeth, George, Sally, John,
Benjamin, Melinda and Augustus. Mr. Crosby has been a life-long
adherent of the Democratic party.Portrait and
Biographical Album of Warren County, Illinois (1886), Chapman Brothers
of Chicago, p. 348.
OWENS, of Point Pleasant Township, is one of the prominent
members of the farming community of Warren County. He is the owner of
400 acres of fine land located on section 12, which is in an exceedingly
good condition for successful farming. Mr. Owen is a descendant from
ancestors, who, by their bravery in the contests with Great Britain, for
the liberty of this country, earned for their succeeding generations the
indisputable rights of American citizens. He
was born in Tennessee (Hawkins County). Dec. 17, 1819, and is the son of
James Owen. The latter was the son of William Owen, who was born in
South Carolina, and was a soldier
the War of the Revolution. Among the battles in which he is
on record as having been a participant, were Kings’ Mountain, Cowpens,
Eutaw Springs and Camden, besides many smaller engagements. He died in
Hawkins Co., Tenn. His son, James Owen, was
born in Anson Co., N. C., March 25, 1789, and he was only six months old
when the family removed to Tennessee, where they were pioneers of
Hawkins County. The Indians of that section of the country
were still troublesome and for a short time after the arrival of the
family in that State, they resided in a fort.
James Owen, Sr., there reached the
years of maturity and still a young man when the War of 1812 again
called the citizens of America to defend her from British encroachment.
He enlisted and was in the action called the battle of Horse-Shoe. He
married Sarah Lantor, who was born in Rockbridge Co., Va., about two
miles from the Natural Bridge. After marriage, Mr. Owen settled on a
portion of the large tract of land which his father had bought in
Hawkins County. Not being a friend to the slave element, however, he at
last resolved to emigrate to some one of the free States, and,
accordingly, made preparations to leave the section in which he had been
born and reared. He set out with a horse and carriage, containing all
his household goods. His wife rode on horseback, carrying the two
youngest children, while the two eldest daughters, aged respectively 14
and 16, walked the entire distance to their destination in the State of
Indiana. All else was abandoned by Mr. Owen in his eagerness to retreat
from the hated institution, being determined that his children should
not grow up within its influence. A location was made in Floyd County,
where they settled on 80 acres of timber. A “patch” of land was cleared
and a log house erected. The heavy timber was removed by hard and
persistent labor and there the wife and mother died in 1835. In the
year following that event, Mr. Owen sold his place and again set forth
with his family for a new start in the role of a pioneer. He and his
four children rode on horseback to McDonough Co., Ill., at which place
they stopped and located, instead of going to Flint Hills (now the city
of Burlington), Iowa, where they had originally intended to settle.
They made their home in the northwest part of McDonough County, at a
point designated as the “Job Settlement,” where a tract of land was
purchased, on which they resided until 1844. The father then sold out
again and sent to Missouri, but remained there only a short time,
returning to Illinois and locating in Henderson County. There James
Owen, the subject of this biography, who had never been separated from
his father during the many migrations of the family, bought 80 acres of
land on which his father died in October, 1845.
On the small farm in Henderson County,
where a frame house had been built and some other nominal improvements
made, Mr. Owen resided until 1851, when he sold out and came to Warren
County. He made his first purchase of land in Swan Township, of which
he was the occupant between two and three years. He then sold out and
bought the farm upon which he now lives, located on the northwest
quarter of section 12, in Point Pleasant Township. No improvements of
any character had been made on it, but the owner soon accomplished the
necessary work which put it on a footing of equality with the numerous
farms of value in the county. It is also supplied with all the needed
outbuildings of substantial structure. Besides 400 acres under
cultivation Mr. Owen is the owner of 50 acres of good timber land in
Mr. Owen had small advantages for
obtaining any education in the schools, but his mental caliber is such
as to supply all deficiencies of that character. He was fond of reading
and possessed the natural sagacity to render it a source of profit and a
means of intellectual cultivation. His powers as a natural
mathematician are something remarkable, and he probably stands at the
head of that class of geniuses in the State. He is a Republican by
inheritance and inclination and has been a strong adherent of the party
since its organization.
July 23, 1846, Mr. Owen was married to
Demarus E. Emerich. She was born in Fayette Co., Ohio, July 14, 1829,
and became the mother of 11 children. They were named James C., Jacob
E., Sarah A., John A., Joseph S., Mary J., Lucinda, Mary F., Cassius C.,
William C., and George G. The eldest son (James C.) was born May 6,
1847, and died June 2, 1880, from disease contracted during his service
in the late war as a member of Co. H, 83d Ill. Vol. Inf. He left a wife
and four children. Mary J. died at the age of nine years. Lucinda died
in infancy. Mary F. also died in early childhood. Cassius C. was born
May 1, 1861, and died Sept. 21, 1885. He left a wife and one child.
The parents of Mrs. Owen were Jacob and
Abigail (Cooper) Emerick, natives respectively of Virginia and Ohio.
They removed hither in 1832. The father died March 12, 1855, near Fort
Scott, Kan. The mother died Nov. 1, 1877.Portrait and
Biographical Album of Warren County, Illinois (1886), Chapman Brothers
of Chicago, p. 452-453.
J. REID is a resident on section 4 of the township of Spring
Grove. He was born in the towns of Greenwich, Washington Co., N. Y.,
and is the son of Peter and Phebe (Hutchins) Reid. His parents were
both born in the same county where their son first saw the light of
day. His birth occurred July 9, 1833. Alexander Reid, his paternal
grandfather, was also a native of the State of New York and was a
Lieutenant in the Continental Army. He was a participant in the battle
of Hubbardston in Rutland Co., Vt., the only authenticated battlefield
of the Revolution in the Green Mountain State. John Reid, the
great-grandfather, was a native of Scotland, and he was one of the
earliest settlers of Washington Co., No Y., where he settled on a tract
of land known as the “Argyle Patent.” The maternal grandmother was a
native of Nova Scotia. In her girlhood, she was Eunice Campbell. Her
father was of the Campbell clan.
The father of Mr. Reid of this sketch
was reared on the home farm and became quite famous as a naturalist. He
was one of those who classified and arranged the flora of the Empire
State. He was well known through his writings for the Spirit of the
Times. His death took place in Greenwich, Washington Co., N. Y., in
September, 1878, at the age of 83 years and two months. The mother died
in 1878, aged 76. Six of 11 children of whom they became the parents,
are still living. Alexander H. resides in DeKalb Co., Ill.; Andrew J.
is the next in order; Jane E. is the wife of John Wellman, of Greenwich,
N. Y.; Catherine is married to H. L. Pratt, of Westfield, Chautauqua
Co., N. Y.; Margaret is the wife of Edward Orcutt, of Cambridge,
Washington Co., N. Y.; Emily A., is married to William T. Creighton, of
Harper City, Kan.
Mr. Reid grew to the age and condition
of manhood in the county where he was born, and received the training of
a farmer’s son. He obtained a degree of learning which enabled him to
engaged in teaching, and for a time he was occupied in that pursuit. In
1857 he came to Illinois. He passed three years in farming in Mercer
County, and in 1860 came to Warren County and followed the same pursuit
in the summer seasons and taught school winters until he decided to
enter the military service of the United States.
He enlisted Sept. 30, 1861, in Co. G, 30th Ill. Vol. Inf.,
and continued to discharge military duty until he received an honorable
discharge, Dec. 21, 1862, for disability. He was in the actions at Fort
Donnellson and Britton’s Lane, near Denmark. After his
return to Warren County, he located upon the farm where he now resides.
It was unimproved at the time, but under his skillful management it was
soon placed in proper condition for prosperous agriculture. In 1872 he
engaged in mercantile business at Norwood, in which pursuit he continued
for seven years, when he again resumed farming. In political relations,
he is a Republican.
His marriage to Selinda E. Boggs took
place June 3, 1863. She was born in Huntingdon Co., Pa., and is the
mother of two children, - Gertrude and Eva May.
Portrait and Biographical Album of Warren County, Illinois (1886),
Chapman Brothers of Chicago, p. 341.
JOHN ROGERS is one
of the farmers of Warren County who, from a small beginning, has made a
competency by the application of the industry and perseverance which is
his heritage as a foreigner and one who is born into the world with a
proclivity to make the most of such resources as fall to the common lot
He is a resident on section 2, Spring
Grove Township, and is the owner of a fine farm of 200 acres. He was
born June 24, 1825, in the County Roscommon, Ireland. His mother,
Catherine, died when he was 17 years of age, and in the succeeding year
his father, Michael, married again. When he was 18 years old he went to
Yorkshire, England, and was there employed as a farm hand until 1850,
when he came to America. In November of that year he sailed from the
port of Liverpool for the United States. The vessel was wrecked and was
driven to the Bermudas. Mr. Rogers finally reached New York, after a
passage of 13 weeks and three days. The severity of the weather and the
exposure of the passengers on the wreck caused the death of many, but
his good health and powers of endurance enabled him to survive all, and
he landed in a comparatively uninjured condition. He went to Orange
Co., New York, where he had an older brother, who was the only member of
his family, besides himself, who came to the United States. He remained
there until 1855, when he came to Keithsburg, Ill., where he had some
friends, and was there employed in a warehouse for William Gale. He
came thence to Warren County, in 1858, where he located on the farm on
which he has continued to reside ever since. He had bought 160 acres of
land in Mercer County, and paid for it, but, as it subsequently
appeared, the party had no legal power to sell it, and in consequence
Mr. Rogers lost both his money and land. He, therefore, had to start
anew again. In 1851 he came here, and has been 35 years in the West.
Politically, he has always been a Democrat and has steadily voted for
that party. He is engaged in raising Short-horn stock, and is an
accomplished leader in that line of cattle. Before he came to Spring
Grove Township, he had bought 60 acres of land, of which 30 acres were
under the plow at the time of his purchase. His success has enabled him
to make further purchases, until he is now the owner of a good farm, as
mentioned above. He has also become the owner of 200 acres, situated
seven miles west of the place on which he lives, and parts of which lie
respectively in Warren and in Mercer Counties.
The marriage of Mr. Rogers to Mary
Murphy took place Dec. 26, 1853. She was born in Ireland. She was
living in Orange County, New York, at the time of her marriage. To them
have been born six children. Charles is the leading merchant in Little
York, Warren County, and is represented by a sketch on another page. He
married Maggie McNamara, and they have two children. William resides in
Sumner Township, and is a farmer. He married Miss Hannah McNamara.
John is a partner in the store with his brother at Little York. Kate is
the wife of Bartholomew McNamara, of Sumner Township; they have two
children. Mary and Ann are the names of the two unmarried children. Portrait
and Biographical Album of Warren County, Illinois (1886), Chapman
Brothers of Chicago, p. 412-413.
the leading dry-goods merchant of Monmouth, was born in Wales, Mass.,
Dec. 1, 1827. (For a history of the parents, see sketch of E. C.
Babcock in this volume.) Draper accompanied his parents to Monmouth in
1842, and has here since been engaged in mercantile pursuits. He became
a partner with his father in 1852, and assumed full control of the
business in 1864.
From 1859 to 1865, Mr. Babcock of this
notice held the office of County Treasurer, and during the late Civil
War was Deputy United States Revenue Collector under Grimshaw. In 1873,
the Temperance element elected him Mayor of the city, and he has
represented his ward in the City Council for many years. For several
years he was connected with Monmouth College as Trustee, and he has
filled a similar capacity on the Public Library Board since its
organization. He was one of the organizers of the unfortunate First
National Bank, and was one of its Directors up to the time of its
Leaving the old Whig party, Mr. Babcock
united with the Republicans, and while no politician, he has served his
party in various ways effectively. In popularity as a business man and
citizen, it is stating mildly a truth that has passed into a proverb, to
say that he is the peer of any man in Warren County. He is not rich in
worldly possessions, perhaps, but is opulent in good name.
Mr. Babcock was married at Monmouth,
Dec. 22, 1852, to Miss Mary E. Elliott, daughter of the late Rev. Joseph
Elliott, of the Baptist Church, and of his three sons and one daughter
we have the following brief memoranda: Edward C., brought up to
mercantile pursuits, was quite successfully engaged in business in
Leadville, Col., for some years: he is now (October, 1885) in Butte
City, Montana; Howard resides in Galesburg, Ill.; and Lucius A. makes
his home with his parents. Probably the most popular young lady in
Monmouth was Miss Jennie O. Babcock. She is now the wife of A. B.
Seaman, a prominent young attorney of Denver, Col.
Like his father, Mr. Babcock is a
consistent member of the Baptist Church, to which he devotes much of his
time and money. Portrait and Biographical Album of
Warren County, Illinois, Chapman Brothers, Chicago, 1886, p. 218-219.
CODDINGTON BABCOCK, deceased, was born in Wales, Hampden Co.,
Mass., Jan. 16, 1803, where he lived until 1841, and died at Monmouth,
Ill., from paralysis, Feb. 13, 1885. He was a son of James and Phila
Babcock, who were descendants of that Puritan stock of which Americans
are so proud. In early boyhood he manifested a taste for the mercantile
business and entered a store at the age of 14 years. His thrift and
enterprise enabled him to accumulate the means with which he purchased
an interest in the establishment, which he afterwards bought entire.
On Dec. 17, 1823, Mr. Babcock was
married to Miss Cynthia Weld, of Brimfield, Mass. The result of the
union was two sons and three daughters, viz.: Mrs. Persis W. Stapp, now
deceased; John Babcock, of Denver, Col.; Draper, of Monmouth (see
sketch); Mrs. Mary Patterson, also of Monmouth, and Mrs. A.H. Holt, of
In the early part of 1842 Mr. Babcock
decided to come West, and some time in April of that year, in company
with his brother George, reached St. Louis. Being informed by merchants
of that city that there was a splendid prospect for the mercantile
business in the locality of Oquawka on the upper Mississippi, they came
up the river, but on reaching Oquawka were not pleased with the
prospect. They started for Monmouth, riding as far as Olmstead’s Mill
with Uncle William Hopper and walking the rest of the way. The next day
the fortune-seekers rented a room in the building which stood where the
Monmouth National Bank building now stands, which belonged to Daniel
McNiel, George Babcock being a silent partner. It was not long until
they were doing an extensive business, having a stock of general
merchandise, comprising everything that satisfied the demand of early
settlers. In 1851 George Babcock retired and the deceased gave his two
sons, John and Draper, interests in the establishment. Mr. Babcock’s
strict honesty and correct business principles won for the establishment
a reputation for fairness and upright dealing that extended for many
miles around Monmouth. He was noted for the correctness of his
accounts, but his great trouble was selling on credit. At the time of
the great fire on May 9, 1871, his business house was entirely destroyed
and he sustained heavy losses. He did not again re-open business, but
was engaged in the store of his son, Draper.
In the year 1841 the Baptist Church was
organized in Monmouth, to which the deceased largely contributed. Mrs.
Babcock joined the organization by letter in 1843, and Mr. Babcock
became a member by baptism during the pastorate of Rev. Miner in 1846.
His membership in the Church abounds with liberal contributions and
unrelenting interest in its behalf. He often bore half of the expenses
of the Church and was the head and shoulders of the congregation. He
was elected to the office of Deacon years ago, the duties of which he
performed until the time of his death.
Mr. and Mrs. Babcock celebrated the 50th
anniversary of their marriage on Dec. 17, 1873. Mrs. Babcock died Sept.
29, 1878. After a long life of Christian usefulness she sank gently to
her rest, bowed under the weight of years. She was a faithful and
constant member of the Baptist Church for over 40 years. Her last days
were soothed by the loving ministrations of her children and friends.
The Rev. Mr. Watson, in his funeral
sermon, paid the deceased the following tribute: We have been called
together to-day to pay a last grateful tribute to the memory of one long
known and felt in your community. Coming to this city in 1842, the
deceased has been identified with the progress and prosperity of
Monmouth during a very important period of its history. Felt in all the
enterprises of our growth, he has given his special energies toward the
establishing of the Baptist Church of this place. Uniting with the
Church in 1846, he ever after took a deep interest in all her
struggles. It was owing very largely to his untiring efforts and
large-hearted liberality, that this building was ever erected. The
regularity of the enterprise manifested in his business relations was
but the exponent of his habits in reference to spiritual matters.
Seldom heard in meetings of any kind, he was always seen in his place no
matter how fierce the storm; and his beaming eye and hearty grasp of
hand, spoke louder than words of his devotion and interest. The
encouragement which he gave to the Pastor in his labor by his devoted
attendance and earnest co-operation, was worth more than the most
eloquent words of some. To show how his heart yearned for the
prosperity of Zion during his late suffering, whenever one entered the
room he enquired (sic) about the meetings and longed to be there.
Such as he, when they are called hence,
leave a vacancy which we can not fill. We shall miss him sadly from our
midst, but his influence shall abide; and may it prove a lasting
incentive to us all, to quicken us and prompt us to greater diligence in
every good work, while it is day.
His sufferings, which were so severe,
are already passed away forever; and he has joined the innumerable
throng of redeemed ones around the throne. One more added to the
treasures in heaven, who shall await your coming with the King. The
Savior, who has called him from his labors into rest, stands by your
side and whispers, “Let not your heart be troubled; ye believe in God,
believe also in me.” “Peace I leave with you; my peace I give unto
you,” and remember that “The Lord will not cast off His people, neither
will he forsake his inheritance.” Put your confidence and trust in Him.
James Babcock, the first known ancestor
of our subject, came from England in 1663, and settled in Rhode Island.
His youngest son, Jeremiah, was born at Westerly, R. I., in 1679, and
became quite renowned as a soldier. In Monmouth, the Babcocks erected
and conducted the first grain elevator. They were also the first
pork-packers in this part of the country.
E. C. Babcock led a life which, though
quiet, was full of kindness and good words. Poverty and sickness found
in him a friend. He was a good friend, a good citizen and a good
Christian, always openly avowing his convictions yet careful of the
feelings of others. His demise was deeply felt throughout the county.
Portrait and Biographical Album of Warren County,
Illinois, Chapman Brothers, Chicago, 1886, p. 221-222.