:: Early Days :: :: Brick Walls:: :: Cemetery :: :: Deaths :: :: Home::
 


SIPHER, JOHN WESLEY

SIPHER, JOHN WESLEY.—The family of Sipher is an old one in the State of New York and is represented in nearly every section of the United States. In successive generations it has produced men who have been leaders in public enlightenment and material development, and who have made their mark wherever their lots have been cast. A conspicuous representative of this family in Warren County, Ill., is John Wesley Sipher, of Monmouth, President of the Monmouth Brick Company, of the Monmouth Hospital and of the Monmouth Country Club and Vice-President of the Monmouth Business Men’s Association. John Wesley Sipher was born at Utica, N. Y., July 1, 1844, a son of Moses and Eva (Baldee) Sipher. His father was a native of Manheim, N. Y., his mother of Herkimer, in the same State. Jacob Sipher, his grandfather in the paternal line, was born at Manheim, and married Katharine Windecker, who was also a native of the same place. His grandfather in the maternal line was Henry Baldee, who was born at Frankfort-on-the-Main, Germany, and married Margaret Rasbach, of Kerkimer, N. Y. Mr. Sipher was educated at his native place and married Caroline Wood at Sempronius, N. Y., February 13, 1867, and has two daughters, Mrs. Eva (Sipher) Diffenbaugh and Mrs. Carrie (Sipher) Meeker. In 1869, he came with his wife and their six months old baby to Monmouth, Warren County, Ill., where they arrived April 25. Soon afterward he began dealing in lumber and coal on the site of the plant of the present Sipher Lumber and Coal Company, now No. 617 South Second Street. He added the ice business to his original enterprise in 1875. He was elected Alderman for the Fifth Ward of Monmouth in 1873, and Alderman of the First Ward in 1875. He has for many years been a member of the Library Board and has been called to other responsible positions, including those mentioned at the beginning of this article. Mr. Sipher is a man of much public spirit, votes with the Republican party and is liberal in his religious views.
 

Bond, L. M.; farmer and painter; Lenox Township; is an influential and highly respected citizen, who has a more than creditable record as a soldier in the Civil War. He was born in Greenbush township, September 11, 1848, a son of Major William G. and Elizabeth Henry Bond. His father was a son of Major John C. and Mary Grimsly Bond. His father was born in Jackson County, Ala., April 02, 1823. John C. Bond was born in Knox County, Tenn., December 25, 1799, and married there in 1818. His wife born him children as follows: Susanna, Mrs. Johnson; William G.; Jesse W,; Ruby, who married A. J. Clayton, of Swan Creek, and Anna. He removed from Tennessee to Alabama and thence tin 1826 to Morgan County, Ill., where his wife soon died. In 1829, he married Mary Singleton, of Morgan County, who bore him a son, Fielding who was School Commissioner of that county about 1861 and died April 19, 1962. Mrs. Bond died September, 1842, and in, 1844, Mr. bond married Mrs. Nancy Terry, who born him tow children: Cansada S., wife of Mathew Campbell, of Stella, Neb, and Cordelia, who married Henry Staat, of Berwick Township, and who died in Greeenbush Township, May 20, 1882. Major John C. Bond removed to Warren County, in 1834, filled the office of County Commissioner in 1849, and with Samuel Hallam and Robert Gilmore, surveyed the county into townships in 1853. William G. Bond remained on his father's farm until August 26, 1862, when he was made Captain of Company H, Eighty-third Regiment Illinois Volunteer Infantry, and went to the seat of war. February, 1963, he was promoted to be Major of his regiment of which he was in command from July, 1863, until January, 1865, when he was mustered-out of the service at Nashville, Tenn. He took part in the battle at Garrettsburg, Ky., in the captions against the Confederate General Wheeler along the line of the Louisville and Nashville Railroad. He received two wounds and, after the war, was employed in the Quartermaster's Department until 1868, when he entered the revenue department and was storekeeper on the Cumberland River two years, then went to the United States secret service, in which he was employed, with headquarters at Clarksville, Tenn., until 1873. He returned to Monmouth, January, 1874 and December following, was appointed Deputy Sheriff, in which capacity he served two years; between 1876-1882 he served three terms as Sheriff of Warren County. Reared in the Democratic faith, he became a Republican before the war, and affiliated with that party until his death. He was twice married; first, in 1845, in Jo Daviess County, Ill., to Elizabeth Henry, who died in 1863, and later to Mrs. Mary E. Taylor Moore. By his first wife he had children as follows: Clarissa Ann, Mrs. Farris; L. M., Jesse W., of Swan Township; George C., L. M. Bond was reared and educated in Warren County, and in September, 1862, he enlisted in Company H, Eighty-third Regiment Illinois Volunteer Infantry. After service in the army of the West in Kentucky, he was honorably discharged February, 1863. March 28, 1864, he enlisted in Company H, Second Regiment Illinois Volunteer Cavalry and stationed at Fort Blakely, served as scout and spy until he received his final honorable discharged from the service in 1865, at Springfield, Ill. He then returned to Warren County and gave his attention to farming. In 1876, he located in Lenox Township, where he has since been engaged in farming and painting. He is a member of A. C. Harding Post, Grand Army of the Republic, at Roseville, and is locally influential as a Republican.  In Warren County, in 1870 he married Mary Melissa Smith, who was borne in Fulton County, Ill., a daughter of Ezekiel and Anna Harrah Smith, who has borne him two children:  Walter and William G.,---the last mentioned of whom filled a responsible position in connection with the Pan-American Exposition at Buffalo, NY, in 1901, and also served with Company H, Sixth Illinois Volunteer Infantry in the Spanish-American war in Porto Rico. At an early day Ezekiel Smith brought his family from Ohio to Fulton Co, where he died. His widow married J. W. Bond, of Lenox Township.
Capps, T. L., farmer, Lenox Township, Warren county, Ill., Monmouth rural deliver route No 5, is a representative of several honored Southern families, and his father, a Kentuckian, was a pioneer in Illinois. He was born in Roseville Township, June 6, 1843, a son of Asa and Mary A. Brooks Capps.
Shelton, James Mason; farmer and stock-raiser; Floyd Township, post-office, Cameron; is a representative of old families which have long been prominent in Virginia and Kentucky. Samuel Shelton, his great-grandfather, was born in Louisa County, Va., November 03, 1758, and died May 28, 1833. He married Jane Henderson, who was born at Hanover, Va., March 19, 1758, and died September 11, 1841. David R. Shelton, his grandfather, was born December 23, 1792, and died in Kentucky, March 16, 1847. He married Patsey Haley, who was born June 12, 1795, and died November 30, 1833. Samuel T. Shelton his father was born in Barren County, Ky., in 1821, and died in 1893. Eliza Moore, who married Samuel T. Shelton and became the mother of the subject of this sketch, was born in Virginia, in 1824. Mr. and Mrs. Shelton were married in Warren county, June 16, 1846, and their son, James Mason, was born in Floyd Township, February 2, 1852, educated in common schools near his home, early taught the science of farming and stock-raising, instructed in the creed of the Methodist Church and taught the principles of the Republican party, with which he has acted politically since he attained his majority. David R. Shelton fought in the War of 1812, his father, Samuel Shelton, in the War of the Revolution. The former arrived in Illinois, November 24, 1837, bringing his family of twelve person and their portable belongings' in a big Kentucky wagon drawn by an oxen team led by a span of horses. "We crossed the river at Beardstown," wrote one of the party, "the weather being rainy, turned to snow, making travel tedious. We finally reached a log-cabin that had been vacated for us. It was called 'Ketch'em all," and measured about sixteen feet by sixteen, and was primitive in the extreme. We lived in it two years, then settled in Floyd Township." Samuel T. Shelton was for thirty-five years, a Christian minister and married eighty-seven couples. He served many years as Justice of the Peace and was several times elected to the State Legislature. James Mason Shelton remained on the homestead until he was twenty-one years old, when he settled on a farm near Utah, whence he removed to his present farm in Section 9, Floyd Township. He has achieved success as a farmer and stock-raiser, has been School Director and has several times been elected constable. His first wife was Julia A. Sales, who was born in Canada in 1857. His present wife, whom he married in Danville, Iowa, August 01, 18676, a daughter of William and Sarah Daimoth Kelly. He has had born to him children as follows: Laura M., Clark C., Clarence A., Samuel t., Mary Edna, Beulah Grace and Jessie M.  Samuel T. is dead. Most of these Shelton's are buried in the Silent Home Cemetery, Floyd Twp., Warren Co., IL.
Wilcox, O. D.; stone contractor; Monmouth; is a veteran of the civil war and , as a Democrat, takes an active interest in local affairs. In 1899 and 1900 he represented the Third Ward in the City Council, and was a member of the Fire Committee, the Electric Light Committee and the Committee on Public Buildings and Grounds, being Chairman of the first named. He has been for twenty-one years a member of the Monmouth Fire Department, and , in 1899, was elected President of the Illinois Firemen's Association. He was Deputy Sheriff, 1870-72, and City Marshal, 1874-75 and 1880-83. He is one of the four children of Charles and Eliza Lee Wilcox, the following facts concerning whom will be of interest: Charles, who lives in North Dakota, served three years in the civil war as a member of Company H, seventy-fifth Regiment New York Volunteer Infantry; Theodore lives at Monmouth; Melissa married Joseph Grier, of Monmouth, O. D. Wilcox was reared and educated in New York, and came to Canton, Ill, in 1861. In 1864, in Fulton County, he enlisted for one hundred days in the One Hundred and Thirty second Regiment Illinois Volunteer Infantry. He was mustered in the service at Chicago as a member of Company E., and was stationed at Paducah, Ky., Until October 27, 1864, when he was honorably discharged from the service and returned to Fulton County. In 1866 he came to Monmouth and learned the stone mason's trade, and for many years has been one of the leading contractors in his line, doing much notable work and employing many workmen. He married in Monmouth, in 1868, to Sarah Frances Hayes, who was born in Iowa, a daughter of Anson and Ann Hayes, who were respectively of Scotch-Irish and English ancestry, and who settled early at Monmouth and died there.  Mr. and Mrs. Wilcox have had six children: Joseph T., Harry, O. D., John and Mary. Mr. Wilcox is a member of the Modern Woodmen of America and the Masonic order. He was Worshipful Master of the local Lodge of A. F. & A. M., and affiliates with the Chicago Consistory of the Scottish Rite Masons. His parents, Charles and Eliza Lee Wilcox, were born in Massachusetts and eventually settled in Onondaga County, N. Y., where Mr. Wilcox was born, April 17, 1846. They removed with their children to Fulton County, Ill, in 1861, and came from there to Monmouth in 1870. Charles Wilcox died in 1883; his wife in 1880.
 
 
 





 

 


:: Photos :: :: Marriage :: ::Census:: ::Wills :: :: Volunteers:: ::Surnames::


Free Hit Counter
Free Hit Counter