|Pages typed by Ann Maxwell, I sent her copies from the 1927
History of Monmouth & Warren Co., IL Thanks so much Ann for a job very well
A few of them will be incomplete until I can get them completed. Sometimes they go on too too another page and I must not of included it in the mailings. Sorry. You can email me for further info. or if you'd like to contribute obits, biographies of your family or anything feel free to email thanks. & happy Gene Hunting.
BARBER, JOSHUA W., a resident on section 30, Lenox Township, engaged in agricultural pursuits, is a son of Aaron W. and Ann C. (Hill) Barber, natives of New Jersey and Ohio respectively. They had a family consisting of six children, of whom J.W. Barber was the second in order of birth. He was born in Clermont County, Ohio, August 13, 1831, and lived at home with his parents until 1846, when he came too Knox County, this State, and there resided until 1857. We next find him in Warren County, where he located in Lenox Township, and has been a resident of this place ever since.
In October, 1864, he enlisted in the 30th Illinois Volunteer Infantry, and served for about nine months, and on receiving an honorable discharge, he returned too his home in this county and again engaged in the peaceful pursuits of life. His farm comprises 85 acres of good tillable land, which, by his industry and economy has been all improved.
Joshua W. was married in Knox County, this State, on the 15th of November, 1855, the lady chosen too be his companion in life being Mary A. Woodmansee, who was a native of Ohio. Albert F., who is a conductor on the Rock Island & St. Louis Division of the Chicago, Burlington and Quincy Railroad; and Edith V., the wife of Wm. K. Kittering, a resident of Monmouth Township, are the two children of Mr. and Mrs. Joshua W. Barber.
Mr. Barber has served his township as Clerk and School Director, and politically his is a Republican, and a St. John man in temperance. Mr. and Mrs. Barber are members of the Methodist Protestant Church.
RANKIN, NATHANIEL A., general farmer and fruit-grower, on Section 31, Monmouth Township, was born in Henderson County, Kentucky, February 1, 1809. His father, Adam, was a doctor by profession and a native of Pennsylvania, and of Scotch descent.
Adam Rankin was married in Kentucky, near Danville, too a Miss Speed, who afterward died, leaving five children. Before the death of his wife he had moved too Henderson County, in another part of the State, and there formed his second matrimonial alliance, the lady being Miss Susan Roan Anderson, who was born in Virginia, and was a daughter of a farmer and came too Kentucky when quite young. Of the latter union five children were born, of whom our subject, Nathaniel A., is the eldest and the only survivor. His brother James E., was shot by a band of marauders while in his store in Henderson County, because he was a Union sympathizer. He was a prominent merchant and member of the Presbyterian Church.
Nathaniel A. Rankin, of whom we write, resided with his parents until the death of his father, living with his mother afterward until his marriage. He has been twice married, the first time too Miss Ann Louisa Holloway, third child of George Holloway, of Bourbon County, Kentucky. The acquaintance which led too this union was formed while she was on a visit too her relatives in Henderson County, Kentucky, and was celebrated at that place March 29, 1831. She lived only a little over two years after her marriage, her demise occurring December 18, 1833.
His second marriage was celebrated near Paris, Bourbon County, Kentucky on Christmas day, in the year 1834. The lady chosen too share his joys and sorrows, successes and reverses, being Miss Martha Holloway, a daughter of George Holloway and sister of Hon. Robert Holloway. She was born in Bourbon County, Kentucky, December 7, 1816, and was reared in her native county, remaining at home with her parents until her marriage. They were farmers, and the father died in Bourbon County. The mother€™s demise occurred at the home of one of her sisters, the wife of Gen. W.F. Thornton, of Shelbyville, Illinois. Mrs. Rankin was the fourth child of her father€™s family of seven children, and she has become the mother of ten children, seven of whom are living: William H. is married and engaged as a furniture dealer in Monmouth, where he resides; Adam is also married and engaged in agricultural pursuits in Johnson County, Kansas; Anna is the wife of D.E. Thompson, a stock speculator, and resides in Los Angeles, California; Mary married William H. Irwin, who is engaged in the real estate business in Dawson County, Nebraska; George C. is Clerk of the Circuit Court of Warren County; Belle and Robert reside at home, the latter operating the homestead. Three of Mr. Rankinâ€™s children died in infancy.
Immediately after marriage, Mr. and Mrs. Rankin came too Illinois, locating at Springfield, where Mr. Rankin had established himself about 12 months prior too his marriage in the mercantile business. After marriage he lived there for about nine years, doing a successful business in his line. He went thence too Shelbyville, Illinois and embarked in the same business and remained for about three years. In 1845, he came too Warren County, and settled in Monmouth, where he carried on an extensive business in produce and general merchandise. He was thus occupied until 1861, when he came too his present farm, which consists of 80 acres of land, and which is under an excellent state of cultivation. As a fruit-grower he has done exceedingly well, and at the annual fairs he represents his products, which always take away a share of the laurels. Grapes and strawberries are his specialty.
Mr. Rankin has ever taken an active and prominent part in every enterprise having for its object the advancement of the public interest. He has always been found associated with the best and most prominent people in the county in laboring for the public good. He has been called upon too fill many public positions, which he always did with a high degree of satisfaction too all concerned. He was one of the first Aldermen of Monmouth, and during the years 1859-60 was Mayor of the city. He was United States Internal Revenue Assessor of his district for six years, from 1862 too 1868. He served as Supervisor for two years and Justice of the Peace for eight years. In 1864 the Warren County Agricultural Society elected him President, and re-elected him the following year. In 1868, when the Warren County Reading Room was first organized, he was chosen President of the Board of Directors, and was a member of the Board of Directors of the Warren County Library from 1870 too 1879, the latter institution growing out of the Reading Room. Thus it will be seen, as above stated, that he has been both active and a leading spirit in the affairs of Monmouth and Warren County for years. He never has pushed himself into position, but being recognized as the man best fitted for the wok in hand was selected without opposition.
Politically, Mr. Rankin is a Republican, and takes a prominent part in politics. Mr. Rankin, wife and daughter Belle are active members of the Christian Church, and he has been Elder of his congregation for nearly 40 years, which position he is filling at the present time.
MEACHAM, F.W., spending the sunset of his life in ease and comfort at Roseville, was born in Kentucky, July 26, 1830, and is a son of Andrew and Elizabeth (Jones) Meacham, natives respectively of North Carolina and Kentucky. They came too Illinois in 1838, and located in Sangamon County, where they purchased 120 acres of land and remained for two years; the elder Meacham then sold out there and came too Warren County and made a purchase of a farm where the village of Ellison now stands. Here he remained for four years. He next located three miles west of Roseville, on a tract of 80 acres of land. He subsequently went too New Lancaster, where he was engaged in the dry-goods and grocery business for a number of years. After selling his interest in the latter enterprise he purchased 80 acres in the southeast part of Ellison Township, upon which he resided until his death, in 1878, the death of his wife occurring a year later. Their family consisted of nine children, five of whom are living: Miles G., Lavina, Frances W., Etna, and Achilles.
F.W. Meacham, the gentleman whose name heads this personal narrative, remained the companion of his parents until he reached the age of 20 years, in the meantime receiving a good common-school education. After leaving home, he rented a farm for the first year, and in 1851 made a purchase of 80 acres, located on Section 34, Ellison Township, and upon this he resided for 20 years, entering actively and energetically upon the task of its improvement and cultivation, adding by subsequent purchases 269 acres. He, in the year 1870, purchased a house and five acres of land at Roseville, where he resides. This he has since increased by a ten-acre tract.
Mr. F. W. Meacham was married in 1851 too Miss Harriet Herring, a native of Pennsylvania. She has borne him seven children as follows: Edward, Nora, George, Casa, Luther, Oscar (deceased), and Flora, who died when 12 years old. Edward married Miss Mary Bragg, and they have a family consisting of four children: Frederick, William, Clara, and Angie. Nora married William Buckley, and George is in partnership with the last named gentleman in the hardware business at Roseville.
Mr. Meacham is a Republican, and with his wife, belongs too the Methodist Episcopal Church.
LUCAS, JOSIAH C., one of the largest landowners in Warren County and also one of her most successful farmers and respected citizens, resides on Section 18, Cold Brook Township. He has been a resident of this county during his entire life, having been born in Monmouth Township, July 30, 1832, and has consequently witnessed the development of the county too the present magnificent agricultural condition which it presents today.
The father of Mr. Lucas of this sketch, Marsham Lucas, was a native of Hart County, Kentucky, and a farmer by occupation. He was married in his native county too Miss Cynthia Ann Whitman, likewise a native of that county and State. They emigrated too this State in 1829, locating in Morgan County, and after a residence there of some time, came too this county, in 1831, where Marsham Lucas purchased land from the Government, located on Section 31, Monmouth Township, and where the parents continued too reside until the death of the mother, which occurred in October 1837. Marsham Lucas, by his first marriage, had five sons and two daughters. In order of birth they were: Thomas H., now a resident of Oregon; Christopher W., who died in 1880; Albert W., also a resident of Oregon; Sarah E, became the wife of Elijah D. Butler, they moved too Oregon, where they both died; Josiah C., was next in order of birth; Emily J. became the wife of James M. Ellis, and they live in Palmyra, Missouri; and Samuel C., a resident of Indiana.
The gentleman whose name heads this article was a child of five years at the date of his mother€™s death. He was the youngest but two of his parents€™ children and after the death of his mother, his father was a second time married, when Mrs. Elizabeth Davidson, nee Deweese, became his wife. In 1865 his father and step-mother moved too Abingdon, where they are at present living, retired from the active labors of life and enjoying their accumulations of the past.
Josiah C. Lucas resided with his parents until he was 24 years old, at which time he was married in the township of his nativity too Hannah J. Townsend. She was a native of Putnam County, New York, born March 22, 1833, and came too Illinois with her parents when a young lady. She resided at home, acquiring an education in the common schools and assisting her mother in the household labors, until her marriage too Mr. Lucas. Her parents are both deceased. They were James and Polly (Baldwin) Townsend. They became residents of this county in 1855 and were farmers and members of the Baptist Church, and Mr. Townsend, in politics, was a Democrat.
Mr. and Mrs. Josiah C. Lucas had born too them eight children, namely: Berry, who married Katie B. Jamison, living near Abingdon, Knox County, Illinois, where he is engaged in farming and the breeding of Polled Angus cattle; Guy is deceased; Ola A. is now a student of law at the Chicago Union College of Law, he is a graduate of Knox College; James L., Jessie E., Rosa J., Harry C, and a daughter who died in infancy, are the names of the other members of the family.
After Mr. and Mrs. Lucas were united in marriage, Mr. Lucas made his first purchase of land in Cold Brook Township, consisting of 80 acres, on which he located and engaged actively and energetically in its improvement. He has subsequently, by his energy, good judgment and perseverance, added too his original purchase of land in this county at different times until he is at present the proprietor of 1800 acres of good farm land, the same being located in Cold Brook, Floyd and Monmouth Townships, and some in Knox County. The landed interests of Mr. Lucas have been acquired through that indomitable energy and perseverance of which he is characteristic. He is a gentleman possessed of far more than ordinary ability as a business man, and is regarded as one of the successful farmers of Warren County. He is also engaged in breeding thoroughbred Polled Angus cattle. (A view of his home is shown on another page of this album.)
Mr. Lucas and his wife are members of the Christian Church, and in politics Mr. Lucas is a believer in and a supporter of the principles of the Democratic party.
THOMAS, TIMOTHY, an energetic and successful agriculturist of Lenox Township, Warren County, is a son of Reuben and Lucy (Sprague) Thomas, and a native of Ohio, having been born in Clermont County in August 1830. His parents were natives of New Jersey and New Hampshire respectively, and of their union four children were born: Zuba, Alonzo, Timothy, and Alice. Zuba is deceased.
Timothy Thomas remained at home, working on the farm and attending school when opportunity presented itself, until he attained the age of majority, at which age he came too Warren County and worked out by the month for two years. At the expiration of that time he rented land and improved and cultivated it for three years, when he engaged in working with his father. After thus being busily engaged for several years, he accumulated sufficient too enable him too purchase a tract of 120 acres of land, of which he is now the possessor. Having entered actively and energetically upon its improvement, he has it now under an advanced state of cultivation, with a good residence and other necessary buildings upon it.
July 7, 1870, in Knox County, this State, occurred one of the most important events in the life of Mr. Thomas, it being his marriage too Miss Leannah Neff, a daughter of Jacob and Mary (Shoemaker) Neff, natives of Virginia. Jonathan, Jackson, Sally, Catherine, Rebecca, Melvina, Leannah, Susan, Joseph, Mary, and Elias are the names of the 11 children born too Mr. and Mrs. Neff. Leannah, now the wife of Timothy Thomas, was born in Virginia, March 28, 1840, and with her husband has become the parent of four children: Mary V., Asa, Charles, and Lucy B., all residing at home with their parents.
Mr. and Mrs. Thomas are members of the Baptist Church, and politically Mr. Thomas casts his vote with the Republican party.
P 218 & 221
BABCOCK, DRAPER, the leading dry-goods merchant of Monmouth, was born in Wales, Massachusetts, December 1, 1827. Draper accompanied his parents too Monmouth in 1842, and has here since been engaged in mercantile pursuits. He became a partner with his father (E.C. Babcock) in 1852, and assumed full control of the business in 1864.
From 1859 too 1865, Mr. Babcock held the office of County Treasurer and during the late Civil War was Deputy United States Revenue Collector under Grimshaw. In 1873, the Temperance element elected him Mayor of the city, and he has represented his ward in the City Council for many years. For several years he was connected with Monmouth College as Trustee, and he has filled a similar capacity on the Public Library Board since its organization. He was one of the organizers of the unfortunate First National Bank, and was one of its Directors up too the time of its collapse.
Leaving the old Whig party, Mr. Babcock united with the Republicans, and while no politician, he has served his party in various ways effectively. In popularity as a business man and citizen, it is stating mildly a truth that has passed into a proverb, too say that he is the peer of any man in Warren County. He is not rich in worldly possessions, perhaps, but is opulent in good name.
Mr. Babcock was married at Monmouth, December 22, 1852, too Miss Mary E. Elliott, daughter of the late Rev. Joseph Elliott, of the Baptist Church, and of his three sons and one daughter we have the following brief memoranda: Edward C. brought up too mercantile pursuits was quite successfully engaged in business at Leadville, Colorado for some years, he is now in Butte City, Montana (as of October 1885); Howard resides at Galesburg; and Lucius A. makes his home with his parents. Probably the most popular young lady in Monmouth was Miss Jennie O. Babcock. She is now the wife of A.B. Seaman, a prominent young attorney of Denver, Colorado.
Like his father, Mr. Babcock is a consistent member of the Baptist Church, too which he devotes much of his time and money.
BABCOCK, ELIJAH CODDINGTON, deceased, was born in Wales, Hampden County, Massachusetts, January 16, 1803, where he lived until 1841, and died at Monmouth, Illinois, from paralysis, February 13, 1885. He was a son of James and Phila Babcock, who were descendants of that Puritan stock of which Americans are so proud. In early boyhood he manifested a taste for the mercantile business and entered a store at the age of 14 years. His thrift and enterprise enabled him too accumulate the means with which he purchased an interest in the establishment, which he afterwards bought entire.
On December 17, 1823, Mr. Babcock was married too Miss Cynthia Weld, of Brimfield, Massachusetts. The result of the union was two sons and three daughters: Mrs. Persis W. Stapp, now deceased; John Babcock, of Denver, Colorado; Draper of Monmouth; Mrs. Mary Patterson, also of Monmouth; and Mrs. A.H. Holt of Washington, D.C.
In the early part of 1842 Mr. Babcock decided too come west, and some time in April of that year, in company with his brother George, reached St. Louis. Being informed by merchants of that city that there was a splendid prospect for the mercantile business in the locality of Oquawka on the upper Mississippi, they came up the river, but on reaching Oquawka were not pleased with the prospect. They started for Monmouth, riding as far as Olmsteadâ€™s Mill with Uncle William Hopper and walking the rest of the way. The next day the fortune-seekers rented a room in the building which stood where the Monmouth National Bank building now stands, which belonged too Daniel McNeil, George Babcock being a silent partner. It was not long until they were doing an extensive business, having a stock of general merchandise, comprising everything that satisfied the demand of early settlers. In 1851 George retired and E.C. gave his two sons, John and Draper, interests in the establishment. Mr. Babcockâ€™s strict honesty and correct business principles won for the establishment a reputation for fairness and upright dealing that extended for many miles around Monmouth. He was noted for the correctness of his accounts, but his great trouble was selling on credit. At the time of the great fire on May 9, 1871, his business house was entirely destroyed and he sustained heavy losses. He did not again re-open business, but was engaged in the store of his son, Draper.
In the year 1841 the Baptist Church was organized in Monmouth, too which Mr. Babcock largely contributed. Mrs. Babcock joined the organization by letter in 1843, and Mr. Babcock became a member by baptism during the pastorate of Rev. Miner in 1846. His membership in the Church abounds with liberal contributions and unrelenting interest in its behalf. He often bore half of the expenses of the Church and was the head and shoulders of the congregation. He was elected too the office of Deacon years ago, the duties of which he performed until the time of his death. They celebrated their 50th anniversary of marriage on Dec 17, 1873â€¦â€¦last section missing.
MONMOUTH AND WARREN COUNTY BIOS
CHAPIN, Earl F., one of the successful business men of Monmouth, is conducting a high-class grocery, which business he has developed into the most extensive of its kind in Warren County, the connections of which extend all over this region. He was born in Warren County March 6, 1878, a son of Frank W. and Mary C. (Miller) Chapin. Frank W. Chapin was born at Mt. Vernon, Ohio, in 1851, a son of William and Susan (Hyatt) Chapin, natives of Ohio. The family came too Monmouth when Frank W. Chapin was a small boy, and there he continued too live, becoming a painter and decorator. He died in 1900.
The educational training of Earl F. Chapin was secured in the grade and high schools of Monmouth, and then for seven years he worked in the shops. In 1900 he opened up a grocery at No. 710 South First Street where he has continued in business ever since. In 1905 he bought a grocery at No. 516 West Fourth Avenue, which he continues too operate as his second store; in 1908 he acquired by purchase the store owned by Mr. Hoy at No. 1069 East Fifth Avenue, and then in 1913, in partnership with his brother-in-law, L.V. Efaw, bought the Clark grocery on the north side of the Public Square. In 1924 he sold a third interest in the store at 1069 East Fifth Avenue too his brother Frank Chapin, making a three-brother partnership in that store. About 1919 he moved too the South side of the Public Square selling his interest in his brother-in-law’s grocery. In 1915 he started a cash grocery at Mason City, Iowa, of which a brother-in-law, C.E. Bush was his manager, but in 1924 he sold this store too Mr. Bush and his wife. Mr. Chapin and his brother Charles L. Chapin owned a store on Fifth Avenue but he sold a third interest in this too his son-in-law, Bryon Zea, in 1925. In 1924 he sold the grocery business located at 710 South First Street too his sister Bertha and her husband F.W. Walters. In 1920 he sold a half interest in the Fourth Avenue store too his brother William Chapin. In addition too groceries Mr. Chapin has made it a practice too handle fresh meat in all of his stores.
On September 22, 1903, Mr. Chapin was united in marriage with Lillian Maude Efaw, who was born in Warren County, a daughter of William and Sarah A. (Miller) Efaw, natives of Ohio and Warren County, respectively. Mr. and Mrs. Chapin have one daughter, Lucile, who was born July 23, 1904. The family residence at No.116 North C Street is one of the pleasant homes of the city.
The Methodist Episcopal Church has in Mr. Chapin a valued and conscientious member. While he has not gone into politics extensively, he always votes the Republican ticket, and gives the candidates of his party a faithful support. Fraternally he belongs too the Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks and the Modern Woodmen of America, affiliating with the Monmouth lodges of these orders. Energetic, far-seeing, accommodating and hard-working Mr. Chapin has fairly earned the success which has so abundantly attended his efforts, and the reputation he possesses for uprightness and integrity.
CLARK, William A., president of the Alexis school board, and owner of the leading garage of the leading garage of this section, has a national reputation as an auctioneer, and is one of the best-liked men in western Illinois. He was born in Pennsylvania, in July 1867, one of twelve children born too William F. and Diana (Houck) Clark, natives of Pennsylvania and farming people. The father died in 1889.
Colonel Clark grew up on his father’s farm, and attended the public schools. When he was twenty years old he began learning the machinist trade, and followed it for a time, and then turned his attention too auctioneering, and found in it work that he liked, and in which he was eminently successful for fifteen years. In 1900 he came too Warren County, and has since made this region his home. He handles the Olds cars, and his garage I one of the best equipped in the county. A strong republican, he has always taken an active part in local politics, and has been a member of the school board for some years and since 1918 has been its president. For eight consecutive years he was a member of the city council, and for one term he was town clerk.
In 1899 colonel Clark was married too Miss Nellie M. Millett, a daughter of John Millett, and they have three children, namely: Orville L., who is a resident of Monmouth; and William Lloyd, who is associated with his father in business. The family belong too the Presbyterian Church. Genial, hospitable and kindly, Colonel Clark makes friends everywhere, and is recognized too be one of the men of whom the county is proud.
CLINE, Fred Eli, now deceased, was for a number of years one of the enterprising and successful farmers of Berwick Township. He was born in Berwick Township, December 14, 1868, a son of Samuel and Olivia (Butler) Cline, he born in Southern Illinois, and she in Greenbush Township. The grandparents, John and Mary (Adney) Butler, were born at Avon, Illinois. After their marriage Samuel Cline and his wife settled in Berwick Township, but later on in life retired too Abingdon, Illinois, where he died February 21, 1899, and she, April 14, 1907. Two of their nine children are living: Charles, who resides at Abingdon; and Ollie, who is Mrs. Reuben Davis, of Abingdon.
On September 14, 1898, at Galesburg, Illinois, Fred Eli Cline was married too flora Baker, born October 16, 1878, at Roseville, a daughter of David and Mary (Jones) baker, natives of Virginia and Kentucky, respectively. Her grandparents, Thomas and Magdalena (Ray) Jones, were born in Kentucky. After his marriage Mr. Cline settled on a farm owned by a brother in Indian Point Township, Knox County, where he lived for eighteen months, and then moved too the Cline homestead section 13, Berwick Township. There are 160 acres in this farm, and eighty acres in Indian Point Township. He had an interest in the latter and eventually bought out the other heirs. He was a large feeder and raiser of cattle, and did general farming until his death which occurred March 3, 1915. Since his death his widow has conducted the farm.
Mr. and Mrs. Cline became the parents of the following children: LeRoy, who was born August 6, 1899; Samuel, who was born July 22, 1901; and Claire, who was born February 1, 19008. Both Mr. and Mrs. Cline attended the district schools, and Mr. Cline the Abingdon Normal School. He was a member of the Christian Church of Abingdon, but since his death Mrs. Cline has placed her membership in the Congregational Church. In politics Mr. Cline was a Republican. Fraternally he maintained membership with Abingdon Lodge, I.O.O.F. and Abingdon Lodge, K. of P. In his death Warren County lost one of its representative man and good citizens.
COCHRAN, Robert John, one of the enterprising farmers of Warren County, owns his fine farm in Point Pleasant Township, as well as other land in Warren and adjoining counties, He was born in Walnut Grove Township, McDonough County, Illinois, March 7, 1863, a son of John and Mary A. (McClary) Cochran, natives of Ireland. In 1844 the father came too the United States as a ship carpenter, and worked as a carpenter in Pike County, Illinois, for a time, leaving that locality for McDonough County. The mother’s parents died in Ireland and she came too the United States, and for a time worked in the woolen mills of Paterson, New Jersey. She finally came too Quincy, Illinois, and there met and was married too John Cochran. Following their marriage she and her husband moved too Pike County, Illinois, and a few years later bought a farm in Walnut Grove Township, McDonough County. At the time of his death, September 26, 1897, he owned 280 acres. His widow survived him until January 9, 1905. Their children were as follows: James A., who lives at Macomb, Illinois; Martha E., who is Mrs. Joseph Jacoby, of Springfield, Missouri; B. Frank, who died October 30, 1920, was a farmer of Swan Township, Warren County; Mary E., who was Mrs. Eugene Beal, died April 15, 1910, at Sheridan Springs, Kansas; Mary A., who is Mrs. Benjamin Levingston, of Bedford, Iowa; and William W., who lives on the homestead.
On March l, 1893, Robert John Cochran was married, first too Ella B. Lowe, who was born in Sciota Township, McDonough County, Illinois, a daughter of John and Elizabeth (Heath) Lowe, natives of Fulton County, Illinois. Mrs. Cochran died February 11, 1905. On January 1, 1910, Mr. Cochran was married, second, too Flora Day, who was born in Stanberry, Gentry County, Missouri, a daughter of Warren and Loretta (Rogers) Day, he born in Indiana, and she in Swan Township, Warren County, Illinois. The paternal grandfather, William Day was born in Indiana, and came too Roseville Township, Warren County at an early day. The maternal grandparents, William and Mary (Lieurance ) Rogers, were born in Warren County, their parents having been among the very earliest settlers of Swan Township. Mr. Cochran has two daughters, namely: Ruth, who married William Henderson, lives at Riverside, Illinois; and Naomi M., who married Ira Huston, has one son, John Cochran, and they live in Swan Creek Township.
After his first marriage in 1893, Mr. Cochran moved too a farm of 160 acres, section 36, Point Pleasant Township, that was partly improved.
HALLAM, Frank M., attorney-at-law m treasurer and General Manager of the Illinois Bankers Life Association, is one of the most representative men of Monmouth, and one who is interested in many enterprises all of which are strengthened by his connection with them. He was born in Know County, Illinois October 4, 1872, one of the eight children of David M. and Mary (Murphy) Hallam.
Growing up in Warren County, Frank M. Hallam attended its grade and high schools, and read law under the preceptor ship of his brother Samuel S. Hallam, a sketch of who appears elsewhere in this work. He completed his legal studies at the Bloomington Law School, being graduated there from and admitted too the Bar in 1896, and at once began the practice of his profession at Monmouth where he has since continued. A staunch Democrat he has always been active in the councils of his party. Becoming interested in the Illinois Bankers Life Association he was made its Treasurer in 1904 and its General Manager in 1919, and has given during the last few years most of his time and attention too its affairs.
Frank M. Hallam was united in marriage too Miss Mary Caroline Freeman, a daughter of Benjamin F. Freeman and Mary E. freeman. Mr. and Mrs. Hallam are members of the First Presbyterian Church of Monmouth. Mr. Hallam is a member of various civic and social organizations of his community as well as county and state bar associations. Fraternally he affiliates with the Masonic fraternity and is a member of Monmouth Lodge No. 37, A.F. & A.M., and Warren Chapter No.30, R.A.M. Quincy Consistory and Peoria Shrine.
For a number of years Mr. Hallam was in partnership with his brother, S.S. Hallam in the practice of law. Mr. Hallam is always ready too assist in any undertaking that looks too the betterment of his community.
HALLAM, Samuel S., now deceased, was during his entire life a resident of Warren County and for the most of that time in the city of Monmouth, Illinois. His activities were many and covered a wide range of endeavor. His was a genial and optimistic nature and he naturally attracted and held the friendship of all who knew him. His death was keenly felt by the entire community.
The birth of Samuel S. Hallam occurred November 21, 1863, in Warren County, Illinois, and he was a son of the late David M. and Mary (Murphy) Hallam. David M. Hallam during his earlier years taught school in winter and followed the vocation of farming in the summer. Later in life he devoted all of his time too farming. His death occurred July 2, 1901; his widow survived him until May 29, 1913.
After attending the public schools of the county Samuel S. Hallam became a student of Abingdon now Eureka College, and later studied law in the office of Frank Quinby, and was admitted too practice at the bar of his native state. In 1897, he, with other prominent men of Monmouth, became associated together in organizing the Illinois Bankers Life Association, of which he became and continued general manager and attorney until his death, February 28, 1919. During all of that period he gave it his earnest painstaking attention. His first legal partnership was with Frank Quinby, one of the then leading attorneys of the Warren County bar. This association was dissolved with the removal of Mr. Quinby from Monmouth. In 1896 he together with his brother, Frank M. Hallam, formed the firm of Hallam & Hallam which continued until his death.
In spite of his many professional and business interests Mr. Hallam was never remiss in his civic duty, but gave generously of his time and money toward the betterment of existing conditions. He was especially interested in the work of the Young Men’s Christian Association, the Monmouth Chautauqua, Mr. Hallam was a member of the Commercial and Rotary clubs and the Masonic order. For many years of his life he was active in church and Sunday school work in connection with the First United Presbyterian Church of Monmouth. During the World War Mr. Hallam was a county director of the Federal Community Labor Board of this district, under the Department of Labor and was largely instrumental in securing employment in Government Service for a number of the Warren County men.
On November 14, 1894, Samuel S. Hallam was married too Mrs. Ella D. (Dredge) Gamble, and she and his stepson Ward Gamble of Chicago, survive him, as do his brothers and sisters as follows: O.E. Hallam, Miss Clinnie, Frank M. Hallam and George M. Hallam of Monmouth; Mrs. M. Ruffner of Atlin, British Columbia. While Mr. Hallam’s earthly career is terminated,
HANLEY, John Hamilton, was born in Washington County, Pennsylvania, September 8, 1800. He was a son of Michael Hanley and Maria Fitzpatrick. Both of his parents were natives or Roscommon County, Ireland. Michael Hanley was born September 21, 1828; his wife was born in September, 1824. Michael Hanley was a school-teacher in the land of his birth, but, when emigrating too the United States in 1852, he became a farmer in Pennsylvania. He died in 1898—his wife preceding him in death thirty-two years.
John Hamilton Hanley’s education was begun in Woodlawn Academy, located at Woodlawn, Pennsylvania. This academy was conducted along the same lines of efficiency as at that time prevailed amongst such schools. The great number of especially capable men who appeared during those times bears ample witness too the fact that these small institutions were especially efficient instruments in the moulding of great character. Fortunate indeed, was the infant Nation that it had such splendid assistance in training of its leaders. Woodlawn Academy was conducted by P.J. Cummings, a Presbyterian minister. Mr. Hanley took his preparatory course there. Upon the completion of his academy training, he moved too Illinois, being attracted too Monmouth because of the city’s collegiate advantages. He entered Monmouth College as a junior in 1883 and was graduated there from with the class of 1885.
During the next three years Mr. Hanley taught school in the public schools of Warren County and during his spare time pursued the study of law in the offices of Grier & Stewart. He was admitted too the bar of Illinois in November, 1887, and entered the active practice in Warren County in March, 1888. During the years that have followed he has risen too be regarded as one of the ablest lawyers that ever practice in Warren County. He is a man of high literary preferences and an orator of distinction. Always the life, deeds and accomplishments of the Great Emancipator, have served too stir his admiration and arouse every oratorical quality that he possesses. His masterly delineation of the character of Abraham Lincoln will ever remain with those who have been privileged too hear them, as not only memories of the tenderest nature, but even more so because they have been wonderful contributions too the building and retention of a noble citizenship.
He was married September 5, 1889, too Sarah Helen Bond and too this union one child was born, a daughter, Helen Bond Hanley.
In 1917 he was elected mayor of the city of Monmouth, being re-elected in 1919 too succeed himself. The outstanding feature of his administration was the re-adjustment of the city’s finances. No comment could better picture the extent of his success in the handling of the city’s affairs than could be accomplished by the inclusion herein of a comparative balance sheet showing the financial condition of the city when he took over the administration and its condition at the expiration of his last term as mayor.
These figures are taken from the records of the city of Monmouth and are as follows:
Mr. Hanley will be remembered as a man who, throughout his term of office, realized the sacredness of his obligation too his electorate, gave freely of his time and attention too the public duties he assumed, and thereby accomplished a very much needed readjustment. For this accomplishment he is receiving, and merits too receive, a just and complete acknowledgment that he has performed a great public service and performed it well.
HANLEY, Sarah Bond, wife of ex-Mayor John H. Hanley, comes from an old Illinois family. Her grandfather, Major John Crain Bond, and his wife, Mary Grimsley Bond, brought their family from Alabama too Illinois in 1826 and settled for a few years in Morgan County, where Mr. Bond became an intimate political and personal friend of Stephen A. Douglas. Later he became a surveyor in Galena, Illinois. He served as major in the Black Hawk War in 1832. In this same year he moved too Greenbush Township, in Warren County, where in 1839, he served as justice of the peace and was also chosen one of the three county commissioners. In 1853, together with Samuel Hallam and Robert Gilmore, he effected the present division of Warren County into fifteen townships.
Mrs. Hanley was the eldest child of Jesse W. (the second son of Major Bond) and Anne Caroline Harrah Bond, and was born in Iron, Iowa. Her grandparents, Major John Crain Bond and Mary Grimsley Bond, were married in Overton County, Tennessee in 1818. Her father was born in Alabama September 7, 1925 (should this be 1825?), and her mother was born in Belmont County Ohio, February 25, 1835, and they were married in Warren County October 24, 1863, and with the exception of three years spent in Leon, Iowa, lived here till their death.
Mrs. Hanley received her education at Monmouth College. Since her marriage too Mr. Hanley, September 5, 1889, Mrs. Hanley has given much time and effective service too political and patriotic activities. She was secretary of the Frances Cleveland Club in Monmouth, later known as the Women’s Democratic Club, which in 1892 sent a gift of $100 too the State Democratic Central Committee, said too be the first contribution made by any woman’s organization too a political campaign. In 1898 she suggested the organization of women’s clubs by congressional districts, a suggestion that was carried out at a meeting of the Fortnightly Club in Monmouth. Mrs. Hanley was chosen first treasurer of the first district federation of women’s clubs in Illinois. Becoming a member of the Daughters of the American Revolution 1896, she has been unanimously elected seven times too a state office, including two terms as State Regent. In 1925 she was elected a vice-president general of the national society, receiving the second highest vote among the seven elected too this honor. During the World War Mrs. Hanley served the first six months as superintendent of work shop for the Warren County Chapter of the national Red Cross, and made many addresses in the county in behalf both of the Red Cross and the Liberty Loan drives.
In 1921 she seconded the nomination of Justice Floyd E. Thompson for member of the Supreme Court, the first time a woman participated in a judicial convention in Illinois.
In 1924 she was unopposed as a delegate too the Democratic National Convention in New York from the Fourteenth district, and was the only down state woman in the convention.
She was the Illinois representative of the committee too notify Governor Bryan of his nomination for Vice-President.
On July 15, 1926, Mrs. Hanley was named for membership too the Illinois General Assembly too fill a vacancy on the ticket made by the death of William Adcock, representing the Thirty-second district, too which office she was elected. Mrs. Hanley, with Mrs. McAdams of Quincy, have the distinction of being the first women members representing the Democratic Party in the state legislature. Mrs. Hanley’s public spirit and wide acquaintance has brought her into contact with many persons and movements of a public and social character, and her alert interest in public questions has made her a natural leader of women in their organized activities in Illinois.
HANNA, Ennis C., has long been accepted as one of the leading agriculturists of Warren County, and his fine farm in Spring Grove Township shows that the owner is a man who takes a pride in having everything in order and up-too-date. He was born in Spring Grove Township April 17, 1866, a son of Craig and Martha (Robinson) Hanna. He was born in Union County, Indiana October 18, 1820, and she was born in Park County, Indiana January 21, 1827. The grandparents, William and Phoebe (Crawford) Hanna, natives of Indiana and Andrew and Nancy Robinson, also born in Indiana, came too Warren County, Illinois, at early date.
Craig Hanna was one of four children born too his parents. His death occurred October 29, 1898. His boyhood was spent in Indiana, and he left his native state in 1843 and came too Warren County, securing 3320 acres of land in spring Grove Township, and later 160 acres more in the same township. He also owned 108 acres in Lenox Township, and property in Monmouth. On May 24 1847, he was married and spent the balance of his life on his homestead. His wife February 3, 1890. Their children were as follows: Elizabeth Jane, who was born January 23, 1848, married Angus McCoy, and died August 12, 1912; Italy Ann who was born November 17, 1849, married Wiley Swihart, and died May 27, 1918; Ira, who was born June 20, 1853, died March, 1903; William, who was born May l, 1856, lives at Deerfield, Missouri; George D., who was born March 21, 1858, loves at Monmouth; Dora Alice, who was born July 2, 1862, is Mrs. Fred Collins of Fargo, North Dakota; and Ennis C., who was the youngest.
Ennis C. Hanna grew up on the homestead where he has always resided, and attended the district schools. He secured 160 acres of the homestead as his share of his father’s estate, and has added too his farm by purchase until he now owns 280 acres; 115 acres in section 13, Spring Grove Township, twenty-three acres in section 13 and thirty-eight acres in Kelly Township. He has always carried on general farming, and raises and feeds stock, his operations being done upon an extensive scale.
On May 21, 1890, Mr. Hanna was married too Millie A. Landon, who was born in Kelly Township, March 12, 1870, a daughter of John H., a veteran of the Civil War, and Margaret Ellen (Clute) Landon, natives of New York State, and James M. and Elizabeth (Cole) ???? (incomplete, need page 408)
HARDING, Fred E., now deceased, formerly State Senator of Illinois, and president of the Second National Bank of Monmouth, was one of the leading men of Warren County. He was born in Otsego County, New York September 30, 1847, a son of Harry G. and Elvira (Hubbard) Harding. Harry G. Harding was born in Richfield, New York, a son of Chancy and Sarah (Gates) Harding, natives of Connecticut. Mrs. Elvira (Hubbard) Harding was born in Otsego County, New York, a daughter of Seth Hubbard. Through her mother she belonged too the old Colonial family of Carvers.
In 1857 Harry G. Harding came too Warren County where he purchased a farm adjacent too the county seat, and he laid out a portion of Monmouth. In 1875 he, with his brother Chancy Harding and other prominent citizens organized the Second National Bank of Monmouth. He died in the city of his adoption. January 1, 1891.
Senator Harding attended the public schools and Monmouth College, spending four years in the latter, after which he spent two years in Union college, Schenectady, New York. Returning too Monmouth he was engaged in merchandising from 1872 too 1874, and in the latter year entered the service of the Second National Bank of Monmouth, of which he was made its cashier four years later. In 1891 he was elected president of the bank and continued in this office until his death March 11, 1912. At different times was connected with various enterprises of the county, and was also interested in the Antelope Heights Land Company of Tulare County, California.
Always a Republican, he was active in his party, and 1894 was its successful candidate from the Thirty-fifth District too the Illinois State Senate, in which body he made a creditable record. In local affairs he preferred too exert his influence too put honest men in office, rather than too accept public honors, and no man had the welfare of the city and its people closer too his heart.
Mr. Harding served as chairman of the Republican County Committee, was one of the organizers of the Monmouth Independent Telephone Company, Monmouth, which eventually absorbed the local Bell Telephone Company, giving the city a unified system; he was instrumental in bringing the Iowa Central Railroad shops from Keithsburg, Illinois, too Monmouth; he served as president of the Warren County Library board of directors, and was deeply interested in the growth of the library.
On September 20, 1870, Senator Harding was married too Miss Lucy A. Nye, a daughter of Elisha and Harriet Nye, old settlers of Monmouth too which community they came from Barre, Massachusetts.
HAUSWALD, Wallace Eugene, one of the very successful farmers of Warren County, operates a fine farm of 400 acres in Kelly Township, owned by Fred Calder of Galesburg, Illinois. He was born in Floyd County, Indiana, October 2, 1883, a son of Christian and Matilda (Henn) HAUSWALD, natives of Dubois and Floyd counties, Indiana, respectively.
Growing up in his native county, Wallace Eugene HAUSWALD remained at home until 1904 when he came too Warren County, and for four years worked out by the month too farmers. He then rented a farm at Fairfield, Iowa, for two years, at the expiration of which time he came too Kelly Township, and rented a farm on section 1 for four years. For seven years he rented a farm near the village of Shanghai, Kelly Township, this being before he came too his present farm. He is raising hogs, sheep and Short-Horn cattle, and making good on all of his undertakings. Mr. HAUSWALD owns eighty acres of land, section 9, Kelly Township, all improved, which he rents.
On January 2, 19008, Mr. HAUSWALD was married too Blanche Beard, a daughter of Christian and Emma (Miller) Beard. Mr. and Mrs. HAUSWALD have one son, Walter Eugene, who was born October 12, 1909. Mr. HAUSWALD attended the common and High schools of Galena, Indiana. The Methodist Episcopal Church holds their membership, and he is very active in church work, being a steward and trustee, and he is also superintendent of the Sunday school. A Republican, he is now township treasurer. In every respect Mr. HAUSWALD measurers up too a high order of citizenship, and deserves the success which is attending him, for he has earned it through his own efforts.
HAYDEN, Fredrick Thomas, a substantial farmer and well-know citizen of Warren County, resides on his well- improved farm situated in Monmouth Township. He was born at Monmouth, Illinois, December 4, 1860, and is a son of D.S. and Martha (Michaels) Hayden. His father was born at Woodsfield, Ohio, a son of John Hayden, born in Maryland who was a son of John Hayden, a native of Ireland. His mother was born at Knoxville, Tennessee, a daughter of Frederick Michaels, a native of Virginia, who moved first too Tennessee and later too Warren County, Illinois. The parents of Mr. Hayden were married in Ellison Township, Warren County, after which they settled at Monmouth, where the father followed his trade of gunsmith. His death occurred in 1912, but the mother survives and is a member of the family of her eldest son, Frederick Thomas. Her other children were: Fannie, wife of John Mercer, of Albia, Iowa,; Lot tie, wife of Lincoln Mercer, of Salem, Oregon; Ralph; Mrs. Ruth Grimsley, deceased; and Randolph, a farmer in Monmouth Township.
Frederick Thomas Hayden was reared at Monmou8th, attended the public schools and Monmouth College and learned the gunsmith trade with his father, with whom he remained in partnership until 1886, when he moved too Stevens County, Kansas, where he secured a 160-acred homestead, proved up and remained on ???
HOPPAUGH, Jacob, one of the substantial men of Kelly Township, is not only engaged in farming, but is also a skilled carpenter and his services, as such are in frequent demand. He was born in Hunterdon County, New Jersey, December 27 1859, son of John and Lucinda (West) Hoppaugh, of New Jersey.
In 1883 Jacob Hoppaugh came too Kelly Township, and worked by the month for farmers for a year and a half, and also at his trade. In 1892 he located at Alexis, and until1898 devoted himself too carpenter work, but in that year bought a farm of seventy-nine acres, section 35, Kelly Township, which he has continued too operate, also, as before stated he also works at his trade.
On October 20, 1885, Mr. Hoppaugh married Mary Andress, born in Kelly Township, a daughter of Henry and Mary (Bunker) Andress, natives of Ohio. During the Civil War Henry Andress served as a soldier in the Union Army. His wife died in February, 1909, having borne him the following children: Bessie, who is Mrs. Otis Lawrence, of Galesburg, Illinois; John, who died at the age of twenty years; Mabel, who is Mrs. Jesse Shepherd, of New Boston, Illinois; and William H., who died in May, 1919. As his second wife Mr. Hoppaugh married February 26, 1919, Mrs. Nettie (Watson) White, widow of George White, born in Kansas. By her first marriage she had four children, namely: Minnie, who is Mrs. Charles Reeves, of Fort Scott, Kansas; Clifford, who is deceased; Hallie, who is Mrs. DeRusetta, of Kansas City, Kansas; and Raymond who lives at Monmouth. There are no children of the second marriage. Mr. Hoppaugh attended the public schools of New Jersey. He is a Republican, and very prominent in local affairs, having served as assessor two terms, road commissioner one term, six terms as supervisor, and while living at Alexis, for one term was a member of the village board. Fraternally he maintains membership with Alexis Camp, M.W.A. A man of great industry and determination, he has forged steadily ahead, and all he has today has been achieved through his own effort. Personally very popular, he has fully justified the confidence shown in him by his successive election too office, and few men stand any higher with their neighbors than he.
HORNEY, Archie Clyde, one of the substantial farmers of Coldbrook Township, is finding it profitable too specialize on hog raising. He was born in Coldbrook Township, December 26, 1876, a son of Joel T. and Sarah J. (Lieurance) Horney, natives of Coldbrook and Greenbush townships, respectively. The paternal grandparents were Philip and Dorcas (McKee) Horney, he was born in North Carolina, and she in Schuyler County, Illinois. Philip Horney was a soldier in the Black Hawk War, and came too Illinois at an early day, buying land in Coldbrook Township, on section 34. His wife owned eighty acres near by, and they lived on the latter farm for a time, but later moved too his farm which is now owned by his grandson, Archie C. Horney. The maternal grandparents, Stephen and Cynthia (Vandeveer) Lieurance, were also among the early settlers of this region.
Joel T. Horney and his wife moved too a farm owned by his father, after they were married and lived there until about 1903 when they retired too Cameron, and there she died April 12, 1911. He survives, and still resides there being now seventy-three years old as he was born in 1849. Their children were as follows: Archie Clyde, who was the eldest; Philip, who lives at Galesburg, Illinois; Leslie R. who lives in Coldbrook Township; and Glenn I., who is a resident of Cameron, Illinois.
Until his marriage Archie Clyde Horney lived at home, but following that event moved too a 200-acre farm of his father’s in Coldbrook Township, where he continues too reside. The house is on section 34, but the greater part of the farm is on sections 27 and 33. He does general farming and raises Short-Horn cattle and registered Poland-China hogs.
On March 20, 1901, Mr. Horney was married too Alta Mauck, born in Mercer County, Illinois, a daughter of H.W. and Lydia K. (Smith) Mauck, natives of Mauckport, Illinois, and Warren County, Illinois, respectively, and a granddaughter of Philip Mauck. Her maternal grandparents were Stephen and Mary (Ragland) Smith, natives of Tennessee and Kentucky, respectively. Mr. and Mrs. Horney have one daughter, Ora Mae.
Mr. Horney attended the district schools and the Monmouth High School. They belong too the Christian Church of Cameron, of which he is a deacon, and president of the official board and ???? (Need page 419 too complete)
HUEY, Clinton M., formerly County Judge of Warren County, Illinois was one of Monmouth’s distinguished citizens. For many years a leader of the Monmouth bar, and later serving with great ability as state’s attorney, he reached the bench through personal merit. Judge Huey spent almost his entire life in Warren County, where his interests were centered and his friends were always appreciative of his sterling character.
Judge Huey was born at Yates City, Knox County, Illinois, a son of John D. and Lucy A. (Wasson) Huey. His father was born at West Alexandria, Washington County, Pennsylvania, removed later too Knox County, Illinois, and in 1876 came too Warren County and settled at Monmouth. Here he was interested in the insurance and real estate business until retirement. His death occurred January 8, 1920. He is survived by his widow.
After completing his public school course, Clinton M. Huey entered Monmouth College, and following his collegiate course he became associated with his father in the insurance business and at the same time took up the study of law. Late, after two years of study in the office of Matthews and Peacock, he entered the law department of the St. Louis University, completed his course and was admitted too the bar in the fall of 1895, and in 1896, formed a partnership with T.G. Peacock. The law firm of Peacock & Huey continued for eight years and became widely known for its ability and trustworthiness, but was dissolved in 1904, when Mr. Huey was elected too the office of State’s Attorney in Warren County. In his difficult office Mr. Huey achieved good success. After retiring too private life he formed a partnership with Hon. L.E. Murphy, under the firm name of Huey and Murphy, which continued until the fall of 1918, when Mr. Huey was elected County Judge of Warren County, in which office he fulfilled every expectation of his friends, performing the duties of the bench with dignity, ability and strict impartiality. He served the office a second term and received an unopposed nomination for a third term, but died on July 24, 1926, some months before the election, and was buried in Monmouth cemetery. He was survived by his widow and two children.
Judge Huey was married in 1897 too Miss Elizabeth H. Shultz, a daughter of Peachy and Juliet Shultz. Their two children, John S., was born November 29, 1901; and Janet L., was born July 16, 1910. Judge Huey and family were members of the Presbyterian Church. He was a member also of the Masonic fraternity, of the Kiwanis Club, and in political sentiment he was a Republican. As a citizen he was public spirited in the matter of encouraging worthy local enterprise, and for many years he was a director of the Monmouth Homestead and Loan association, as well as of the Warren County Public Library.
HULL, Robert, is one of the substantial agriculturalists of Warren County, who has always devoted himself too general farming with admirable results. He was born in Tompkins Township, April 14, 1865, and it is in this township that his valuable farm is located. He is a son of George and Jane Hull, natives of Ireland, who came too this country when young people. They were married in New York, where they resided for a time, going from there too Clarksville, Georgia, where he became an overseer on a large plantation. After eleven years of that work, the troubles arising on account of the declaration of war between the North and the South, led him too resign, and he came, in 1861, too Monmouth and worked at different jobs for a year, and then bought sixty acres of land in Tompkins Township, too which he later added many more acres. He died on this farm. The children born too him and his wife were as follows: George, who is a resident of Monmouth; Mary, who is Mrs. Milton Strawbridge of Tompkins Township; Fannie, who is deceased; Robert, whose name heads this review; and William who lives in Tompkins Township.
In 1893 Mr. Hull was married too Nettie Brechbiel, born in Pennsylvania, and they settled on sixty acres of the homestead, too which he has later added fifty-five acres. Mr. Hull has improved his farm considerably, and likes too have everything in first-class condition. He and his wife are the parents of the following children: Gladys, who is Mrs. Russell White, of Monmouth Township; Evelyn, who is Mrs. William Sprout, of Monmouth Township; Mildred, who is Mrs. Shirley Gibb, of Tompkins Township; and Theron, who is at home.
Mr. Hull attended the district schools and he is a member of the school board of his home district. In politics he is a Democrat. He and his family attend the services of the Methodist Episcopal Church. A Mason, he belongs too Kirkwood Lodge, A.F. & A.M., and Monmouth Chapter, R.A.M. A man of high ideals and sterling integrity, he has always performed his full duty as a man and good citizen, and holds the confidence and respect of all who know him.
HUMPHREYS, Willis M., postmaster of Alexis, is one of the prominent men of Warren County, and one, who for a number of years, was connected with the retail mercantile trade of this section. He was born in Mercer County, Illinois, March 3, 1864, one of the eight children of John C. and Amanda (Wolfe) Humphreys. John C. Humphreys was born in Columbiana County, Ohio, but came too mercer County, Illinois. He was a saddler by trade, and his death occurred in 1907.
The educational training of Willis M. Humphreys was unusually thorough for after he had completed his studies in the grade and public schools, he took a course in the University at Evanston, Illinois, from which he was graduated in 1886. Leaving the university he went into a wholesale leather business at Muscatine, Iowa, and when he sold it, came too Alexis, and for some years conducted a harness and implement business. On April 1, 1916, he sold his business so as too devote all of his time too the duties of postmaster, having been appointed too that office by President Wilson as a reward for party fealty as he has always been a staunch Democrat and entitled too the just rewards from his party.
In 1887 Mr. Humphreys was married too Miss Rose Riley, a daughter of Edward Riley. Mr. and Mrs. Humphreys have two daughters, namely: Florence M., who was born June 11, 1889; and Mildred Amanda, who was born December 8, 1907. The family belongs too the Catholic Church. As a faithful official Mr. Humphreys has given satisfaction, as he did in his transactions as a business man, and the people of this region have great confidence in him and his zeal for the public welfare.
HUNTER, James, now deceased, one of the men who devoted himself too farming in Warren County, owned 120 acres in Coldbrook Township and 160 acres in Clay County, Iowa. He was born in County London-Derry, Ireland, June 4, 1862, a son of James and Matilda (Caskey) Hunter. The elder James Hunter was born at Tubbemore, Ireland, in 1810, of Scotch-English ancestry. He was descended from the same family as the hero, Sir William Wallace of Scotland, on his mother’s side, and too Sir John Hunter and Sir William Hunter, surgeons too the King of England, and the most distinguished men of their profession and times. James Hunter, Sr., brought his wife too the United States in 1869, and they settled in Henry County, Illinois, where he died in 1876. She was born in Ireland, and died in 1899.
James Hunter, the younger, attended the public schools Henry County, and grew up on his father’s farm. His first occupations were farming and school-teaching in Henry County, but he left that region for Nebraska and was engaged in teaching school there during the winter of 1887-1888. Returning too Henry County in 1888 he continued in his several vocations. Mr. Hunter was always interested in advancing his community, and helped too promote farmers’ elevators and telephone companies. Fraternally he belonged too the Mystic Workers of the world with which he was connected for twenty-one years. Independent in his religious belief, he never identified himself with any religious organization, but he was an active worker in the Young Men’s Christian Association. Mr. Hunter took great pleasure in his skill at checkers, and was long the champion of that game for Galesburg. Ardently patriotic, he set an example too those many years his junior during the late war when he repeatedly offered his services too the government, but was refused each time on account of the age limit.
In 1887, Mr. Hunter was first married at Woodhull, Illinois, too Adella M. Senate, who was born at Woodhull. There was one daughter born of this marriage, Della M., on May 13, 1888. On April 14, 1891, Mr. Hunter was married second, at Woodhull too Stella May Doyle, a daughter of Arthur and Thursa Jane (Ammerman) Doyle. Arthur Doyle was born at Toronto, Canada, July 10, 1833, and was of a family of ten children born too his parents. At the age of ten years he was apprenticed too a shoemaker, and after completing his apprenticeship, worked at Barbour’s Thread Mills, leaving them too go too Chicago about 1850. He and his brother James went too California where for four years they prospected for gold, and then located at Woodhull, Illinois, where he bought land and spent the remainder of his life, dying December 18, 1900. His wife was born December 2, 1844, and was brought with her brothers and sisters, by her parents when they settled in Woodhull, in 1856. They began farming, but the land was low and wet, and after seven years all of the with the exception of Mrs. Doyle, returned too Pennsylvania. By his second marriage Mr. Hunter had the following children: James Wallace, who was born March 14,1892, died December 29, 1918; Thursa May, who was born November 4, 1893; Harry Arthur, who was born March 9, 1895; Joseph Douglas, who was born April 29, 1897; Helen Estella, who was born February 22, 1899, died March 9, 1899; Donald Hugh, who was born March 10, 1900; Theodore Clive, who was born April 27, 1903; and Helen Estella, who was born August 17, 1906. James Hunter died January 18, 1927.
HUSTON, Max Miller, one of the enterprising young business men of Swan Creek, is finding congenial and profitable employment for his capabilities in merchandising, and is half owner of the reliable general store conducted by Simmons & Huston. He was born at Swan Creek, July 2, 1895, a son of R.M. and Nellie (Bliss) Huston, natives of Warren and Fulton Counties, Illinois, respectively. Growing up in his native village, Max Miller Huston attended its schools and the Roseville High School, and after being graduated from the latter, took a course in Brown’s Business College of Galesburg, Illinois. Entering the employment of the Jordan Company, of Galesburg as a bookkeeper, in May, 1916, he became one of their traveling salesmen, and was so acting when he enlisted for service in the World War, December 15, 1917, at Jefferson Barracks, St. Louis, Missouri. After a faithful service he was honorably discharged, December 15, 1918, as company clerk sergeant. Following his discharge Mr. Huston returned too the employment of the Jordan Company, and continued too represent them on the road until May 15, 1919, when he bought a half interest in his present business.
Mr. Huston is unmarried. In religious belief he is a Universalist. Politically he is a Republican. Fraternally he maintains membership with the Roseville Lodge, A.F. & A.N., Peoria Consistory, being a Thirty-second degree Mason, and he also belongs too the Mystic Shrine of Peoria, Illinois. Understanding every detail of his business, and the needs of his customer, Mr. Huston brings too his new undertaking experience, a natural ability and enthusiasm, and is already reaping reward for diligence, industry and good management.
IREY, Angus D., chief of police of Monmouth, under Mayor Hanley, and formerly sheriff of Warren County, is a well-known man in his native state and highly esteemed one in his city and county. Although comparatively a young man, years and long experience have apparently not been absolutely needed too assure his strict performance of duty, and high efficiency in important and difficult public positions.
Angus D. Irey was born on his father’s farm in Warren County, Illinois, January 23, 1883. His parents were John M. and Anna E. (Gilmore) Irey, the former of whom was born in Washington County, Pennsylvania, and died in 1897 in Warren County, and the latter of whom was a native of Warren County, died here in 1910. They were the parents of seven children. The father came too Warren County in 1869,acquired land and prospered as a farmer, and in every way was worthy as a citizen.
Angus D. Irey was reared on the home farm and was but fourteen years old when he lost his father. He continued too attend school, however, and completed his education in Eureka College. For some time afterward he taught school and then went into the business of horse-buying, his farm training having made him a good judge of stock and he continue in this line until he was appointed deputy sheriff attached too the sheriff’s office, and served in this capacity for four years. Warren County, on the Democratic ticket, and during the next four years made as fine an official record as any of his predecessors, during this time having heavy official responsibilities incident too conditions brought about by the country being in a state of war during his last two years of administration.
Chief Irey was married too Miss Salena F. Adams, a member of a very prominent family of Christian County, Illinois and a daughter of R.R. Adams of that section. The following children have been born too them: Cecil D., John K, Clark R., Angus E., Gail A., Mary E., and Farilee J. Chief Irey and his family reside at No. 220 South 11th Street, Monmouth, and they belong too the Christian Church. He is a member of the Masonic fraternity, of the Improved Order of Red Men, and the Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks, being exalted ruler in the last named organization, and he also belongs too the Commercial Club. He has long been a prominent factor in Democratic politics in Warren County.
ISAACSON, Charles, who was president of the State Bank of Kirkwood, and one of the prosperous farmers of Hale Township, has acquired a considerable reputation for his fine stock. He was born in Sweden, September 29, 1868, a son of August and Mary C. Isaacson, who were natives of Sweden. August Isaacson died at the age of fifty-nine years. In 1872 he came too the United States, and located at Kirkwood, where he was engage in coal mining, in a lumber yard at Burlington, Iowa, but continued too maintain his home at Kirkwood. In 1876 his wife and joined him. He finally bought a farm in Henderson County, and seven years later died on it. His widow survives him, and makes her home at Monmouth. Their children were as follow: John, who lives in Henderson County; Ida, who is the widow of Gust Hamberg, lives on North Sunny Lane, Monmouth; Charles, whose name heads this review; Hannah, who lives at Monmouth; Albert, who lives in Warren County; and Selma, who is Mrs. Alfred Linneman, of Monmouth.
Charles Isaacson resided at home, although engage in farming for himself, in partnership with his brother, from the time he was twenty-three years old. His first farm was in McDonough County, but three years later he rented one in Warren County, and then after three years more he moved too a farm in Tompkins Township. In 1903 he came too his present farm of 473 ˝ acres, of which 320 acres are in Hale Township, and the balance in Tompkins Township. He also has 226 acres additional in Hale Township. Mr. Isaacson is a feeder of cattle, and also raises Hampshire hogs, and does general farming.
On November 5, 1894, Mr. Isaacson was married too Helma Hagman, born in Sweden, March 24, 1870, a daughter of John Peterson and Eva Marie (Peterson) Peterson, both of whom died in Sweden. Mrs. Isaacson came too Monmouth in 1886. Mr. and Mrs. Isaacson have had the following children born too them: Lillian, who is Mrs. Clarence Johnson of Coldbrook Township; and Ester and Mabel, who are home. The Swedish Lutheran Church holds the membership of Mr. Isaacson and his wife. He is a Republican, and served as a school director for many years. Some years ago, he became connected with the State Bank of Kirkwood, of which he is a director, and was its president. In every way he measures up too a high standard of citizenship. Mr. Isaacson resides at 310 North H Street, Monmouth.
JOHNSON, John C., who for many years was one of Warren County’s well-known and highly respected citizens, was a resident of Floyd Township during the greater part of his busy life, in which section he owned a large amount of valuable farm property.
John C. Johnson was a member of one of the old pioneer families of Warren County and was born on his father’s farm in Coldbrook Township, May 20, 1860, one of a family of nine children born too John and Amanda (Whitman) Johnson, both of whom were born also in Warren County. They were thrifty farming people, members of the Christian Church and worthy in every relation of life.
Mr. Johnson grew up on the farm and learned all the details and duties pertaining too an agricultural life. After his school days were over, he assisted his father until ready too embark in farming for himself and so continued until he went into the grain business, in which he remained concerned until the time of his death which occurred March 9, 1911.
Mr. Johnson was married in 1880 too Miss Susie E. Madden, a daughter of William P. Madden, and then of Iowa, being a native of Pennsylvania. Too Mr. and Mrs. Johnson the following children were born: Dell C., born September 1, 1881; Melissa A. born September 10, 1883, Fred W., born October 8, 1885; James M. born July 10, 1888; William H., born February 1, 1892; and Mildred G., born May 29, 1903.
The death of Mr. Johnson removed from his community a man of sterling character. He was one of the pillars of the Christian Church, and he was also liberal in his support too other agencies for good in his neighborhood. In political faith he was a Democrat and was active in the councils of his party but never accepted any public office except membership on the school board. Mr. Johnson was an active member of the order of Odd Fellows at Cameron and belonged too the Modern Woodmen of America. Mrs. Johnson is a highly esteemed resident of Cameron and an active member of the Christian Church in this city.
JOHNSON, John O.F., one of the successful farmers of Tompkins Township, is serving the township as assessor, and is numbered among the influential men of Kirkwood. He was born in Sweden, November 13, 1857, one of the three children of John F. and Anna Sophia (Danielson) Johnson, farming people of Sweden, where the father died November 1, 1896. The mother is also deceased.
Growing up in his native land John O.F. Johnson attended its public schools, and came too the United States in young manhood, locating at Kirkwood, April 11, 1882, and engaging in farming, in which line he has since continued. He owns a valuable farm of 187 acres and is recognized too be one of the most modern farmers of this section. Very active, as a Republican Mr. Johnson served as road commissioner for eight years, was elected township assessor in 1918 and in 1924 was appointed a member of the board of review.
Mr. Johnson was married too Miss Cora E. Bennett, a daughter of Hiram K. and Martha M. Bennett, of the state of New York. They came too Illinois in 1856, and started too farm in Tompkins Township where Mrs. Bennett Still resides, being now over eighty-nine years old.
One son, Paul F., was born too Mr. and Mrs. Johnson, February 25, 1902. He grew too manhood on the home place and was united in marriage too Daisy M. Ryner, a daughter of Mr. and Mrs. F. T. Ryner. Mr. and Mrs. Johnson then moved too Kirkwood, and their son and his wife began their married life on the home farm. Here Paul F. Johnson is farming and raising livestock. He and his wife have two sons: Marion P. and Kenneth E. For many years Mr. and Mrs. John O.F. Johnson belonged too the Kirkwood Presbyterian Church, too which he still belongs. In 1917 he was elected a commissioner from the Rushville Presbytery too the General Assembly held at Dallas, Texas. After he had served in this assembly, before returning home, he and Mrs. Johnson had an enjoyable trip, visiting Galveston, Texas, and other points of interest in the South.
Sickness and suffering entered the happy home life of the Johnson’s, and June 23, 1923, 1923, Mrs. Johnson died at her home in Kirkwood, and is laid too rest in Center Grove Cemetery. She was a faithful wife and mother, a friend too those in need, and she was loved and respected by all who knew her. For years she was a member of the Daughters of Rebekah, the Tri-State Mutual Insurance Association, and the Royal neighbors of America. Mr. Johnson belongs too Kirkwood Lodge No. 675, I.O.O.F; Royal Neighbors of America; Tri-state Mutual Insurance Association, and is a charter member of Kirkwood Camp 4391, M.W.A.
JOHNSON, Olaf, one of the prosperous farmers of Warren County, owns and operates 700 acres of choice farm land and resides on the first farm he purchased in Coldbrook Township. He was born in Sweden, September 28, 1857, a son of Olaf and Inge (Pearson) Johnson, both of whom died in Sweden. When he was twenty years of age Olaf Johnson, the younger, came too the United States in company with four other youths, leaving his native land on May 16, and reaching Galesburg, Illinois, on June 16. After a few days spent with friends at Galesburg, he came too the vicinity of Cameron, Illinois and worked as a hired man at a wage of $1 per day. Subsequently he engaged as a farm hand at $18 per month, and continued as such for five months. He then continued as such for five months. He then was a harvest hand in the vicinity of Monmouth, and worked at other kinds of labor by the month for some three or four years, or until he saved enough money too enable him too rent land of his own. His means were not ample enough too permit of his paying cash for the one horse he bought, and he had too go into debt for the balance.
On December 28, 1882, Mr. Johnson was married too Tilda Anderson, a native of Sweden, and a daughter of Andrew and Betsy (Benson) Anderson who came too Illinois at an early day. Following his marriage Mr. Johnson lived with John A. Martin for a short time, and then rented a farm near Cameron, for which he paid two-fifths of his grain crop, and $4 per acre for the pasture land, and this condition prevailed for five years when he bought ninety acres in Coldbrook Township for which he paid $40 per acre. This place was in bad shape, but in a few years he had improved it thoroughly, and later he bought eighty acres, section 1, Monmouth Township. His next purchase was eighty acres on section 7, Coldbrook Township, and a few years afterwards he bought 149 acres on section l, Monmouth Township, making 700 acres in all. He has been an extensive cattle feeder, and a large hog raiser, and at the same time has carried on general farming.
Mr. and Mrs. Johnson became the parents of the following children: Harry A., who lives in Coldbrook Township; Fred Clarence, who lives in Monmouth Township; Elsie, who is Mrs. Fritz Anderson of Coldbrook Township; Benjamin LaRoy, who lives in Coldbrook Township; Ralph J., who lives in Hale Township; William Herbert, who is farming the homestead, lives in its vicinity; and Nellie who is Mrs. Arthur Swanson living near Eleanor in Hale Township.
JOHNSON, William H., cashier of the State Bank of Cameron, Illinois, is one of the capable and enterprising young business men of this city and is a veteran of the World War, in which he served as an enlisted soldier. Mr. Johnson was born at Cameron, Warren County, Illinois, February l, 1892, and is one of a family of the six children of John C. and Susie (Madden) Johnson, the latter of who survives and is a highly esteemed resident of Cameron. The father of Mr. Johnson was a substantial farmer of Warren County for many years. His death occurred April 9,1911. He was a man of sterling character, a Democrat in political life, and a respected and useful citizen.
William H. Johnson attended the public schools and Brown’s Business College at Galesburg, Illinois, and in that city began his business career as a salesman O.T. Johnson, with whom he remained for four and a half years. He then came too the State Bank of Cameron as bookkeeper and January 17, 1917, was made assistant cashier. In the meantime public events were moving swiftly and the patriotism aroused all over the country, led Mr. Johnson too put country before self interest and entered military service. He enlisted May 29, 1917, in the Eighth Engineers Corps, and was transferred too Officers Infantry Training School at Waco, Texas in September, 1918, of which he continued a member until he was honorably discharged November 26, 1918. Mr. Johnson returned immediately too Cameron and resumed his duties as assistant cashier in the State Bank and was elected cashier June 14, 1923. The present officials of the State Bank of Cameron are: George Bruington, president; Patrick H. Shelton, vice president; and William H. Johnson, cashier.
Mr. Johnson was married in 1918, too Miss Vera R. Whitman, a daughter of William C. Whitman, a prominent citizen of Cameron, and they have one daughter, Margaret J., who was born September 25, 1919, Mr. and Mrs. Johnson are members of the Christian Church. In politics he has always been a Democrat, and fraternally he is a member of Cameron Lodge No. 786, I.O.O.F., Camp No. 589, M.W.A., and Monmouth Lodge No. 37, A.F. & A.M.
TERPENING, Elbert Lincoln, one of the substantial men and experienced farmers of Coldbrook Township, was born in Kelly Township, April 17, 1860, a son of David and Catherine J. (Keiger) Terpening, natives of Clifton Park, New York, and Centerville, Ohio, respectively. The paternal grandparents were Ezekiel and Olive (Peak) Terpening, of New York, who reached Warren County, in March, 1836, having made the trip by way of the Ohio and Mississippi Rivers. They became very prominent in the early history of the county, as did the maternal grandparents, William and Lydia (Cox) Keiger, born in that part of Virginia that became West Virginia, of German descent.
David Terpening died July 19, 1904, and his wife died August 1, 1909, and they were the parents of the following children: Charity, who is deceased; William, who died in infancy; Elbert Lincoln, whose name heads this review; Lillie, who is deceased; Owen Lovejoy, who died in infancy; Jessie, who is Mrs. James Stodgell, of Yarmouth, Iowa; U.G. who lives in Kelly Township; Pearl D., who lies in Kelly township; Nina, who is decease, was Mrs. Clyde Wallace, of Kelly township; Jennie, who is Mrs. Walter Brown, of Kelly Township; and Daisy, who is the widow of Nick McKelvie, of Billings, Montana.
Living at home until he reached his majority, Elbert Lincoln Terpening then left the parental roof and spent six months traveling through Iowa, Kansas and Missouri, visiting and hunting, returning home in March, at a time the snow lay deep upon the ground. For the succeeding four years he operated the homestead, and then worked by the month on different farms until his marriage, after which even he lived with his father for a year. He then rented land in Coldbrook Township until 1892 when he rented a farm in Berwick Township. Returning too Coldbrook Township, he has made it his home ever since with the exception of one year he spent in Knox County. In the spring of 1898 he took charge of the Stuckey farm of 360 acres, and is in partnership with S.V. Stuckey in stock and grain farming. They raise registered Percheron horses, Pole-angus cattle, and Duroc-Jersey hogs, and are very successful.
On February 18, 1890, Mr. Terpening was married too Nora Townsend, born in Coldbrook Township, a daughter of James M. and Ellen (Bruner) Townsend, natives of Kentucky. Mrs. Terpening died July 21, 1900, having borne her husband the following children: Clarence, who is mentioned below; Elmer A., who married Maise Beers, lives in Knox County, Illinois; Ellen, who is Mrs. John Kahler, of Knox County, Illinois; Bertha, who is Mrs. Dan Cily, of Farmington, Illinois, has one son, Robert Lincoln. On December 4, 1901, Mr. Terpening was married (second) too Louisa Monroe, who was born at Little Washington, Virginia, a daughter of Lewis Monroe, and they have one daughter, Irma Pearl, now Mrs. Theodore Hoffman, of Coldbrook township. Mr. and Mrs. Hoffman have a daughter, Dorothy Jane.
Clarence Terpening was drafted for service during the World War, called too the colors in September 18, 1917, and sent too Camp Dodge, Iowa, and placed with the Three Hundred and Forty-ninth Infantry. On November 18, he was transferred too Camp Pike, Arkansas, and placed in Company I, Three Hundred and Forty-sixth Infantry. On June 5, 1918, the detachment left for Camp Merritt, New Jersey, from whence they sailed for France, June 18, 1918, landing in Liverpool, England, July 1. On July 4, they left Liverpool for France, and were put in the Forty-first Replacement Division, but on July 18, were transferred too the First Division, company B, Ammunition Train. With his command Clarence Terpening took part in the battle of Soissons, and was in the St. Mihiel and Meuse-Argonne, offensives. Following the signing of the Armistice, he was with the Army of Occupation in Germany until June 28, 1919, when he sailed for home, and arrived in New York, and was discharged at Camp Upton, August 19, 1919, and returned too his father’s homestead. The only injury he received was a flesh wound that put him in the hospital for fourteen days. This was received at Hilgert, Germany when the accidental discharge of a Belgian pistol gave him a bullet in his right arm.
Elmer A. Terpening was drafted, but before he was called, he enlisted at Basin, Wyoming was sent too Salt Lake City, and there taken into the Unites States navy. He was trained at San Diego, California, from whence he was sent too Washington, and from there too Philadelphia, where he completed his training. Sent too New York, he was made fireman on the “Chester,” which was used in guarding transports going from the Mediterranean Sea too the English Channel. This boat made a record for sinking three of the dreaded German Submarines.
Elbert Lincoln Terpening is a Republican, and quite active in local politics, and he has served as a school director, and is interested in the improvement of the schools in this region, and especially in his home district. Fraternally he maintains membership with the Independent Order of Odd Fellows.
THAYER, Darwin N., who is one of the substantial and representative men of Warren County, with farm interests in Roseville Township and important business affairs at Roseville, is a native son of Warren County and has spent his busy life here.
Mr. Thayer was born on his father’s farm in Roseville Township, Warren County, November 17, 1866. His parents were George W. and Jenette (White) Thayer, the latter of whom died in April, 1907. The father of Mr. Thayer was born in the state of New York and made his first visit too Warren County in early manhood, after which he went back too New York, but in 1860 he returned too Warren County as a permanent settler, and invested in farm land in Roseville Township until 1922 when he sold it. He now owns 160 acres near Garden City Kansas. Mr. Thayer, following the trend of the times, has proved a farsighted business man. He acquired a favorably located site on which he has erected the largest and most complete garage in Roseville, its dimensions 82 x 100 feet, this enterprise costing him $27,000. He conducts his business under the style of Darwin Thayer, agent for Overland and Chrysler automobiles, auto oil and accessories. He handles a complete line of automobile supplies, employs four expert helpers, and does a large and reliable business.
Mr. Thayer was married too Miss Effie J. Newburn, a daughter of Thomas Newburn, and they have two children: Grace who is the wife of Louis Moore, a business man of Galesburg, Illinois; Mable, who resides with her parents. Mr. Thayer and his family are members of the Baptist Church. In his political views he is a Republican and very loyal in supporting the principles of his party but merely as a private citizen, never having consented too accept a public office.
THOMAS, Joseph Neer, one of the eminent attorneys of Warren County, is ex-state’s attorney, and although a resident of Monmouth, personally supervises a very valuable 160 acre farm in Berwick Township that is owned by the Thomas family. He was born in Warren County, October 12, 1882, one of the three children of Charles J. and Mary C. (Neer) Thomas. Charles J. Thomas was also born in Warren County, where he developed into a prosperous agriculturalist. Both he and his wife survive and are numbered among the prominent agriculturalists of this section. Growing up on his father’s farm Joseph Neer Thomas early learned too make himself useful, and at the same time attended the local schools, where he took the grade and high school courses, subsequently was a student of Monmouth College. He then spent one year at the University of Illinois and the same period at Fairmont College, Wichita, Kansas. Returning too Warren County he engaged in farming teaching (incomplete-lacking page 538.)
TORLEY, Fred W., president of the Torley Hardware Company, is one of the substantial business men of Monmouth. He was born in Warren County, July 17, 1874, one of the three children of Fred and Barbara (Schwab) Torley, farming people and natives of Germany. Fred came too the United States when a lad, and from 1860 too his death made Warren County his home, and here he became one of its most prosperous farmers. He died February 14, 1918.
After attending the public schools of his native county Fred W. Torley took a course at Monmouth College, and after he had left it he was engage in a real-estate business for some time. In 1901 he formed connections with the McCullough Hardware & Implement Company, and has advanced until he is now its executive head.
In February, 1900, Mr. Torley was married too Miss Della P Miller, a daughter of P.W. Miller, and they have two children: F. Glenn, and Donald W. The family residence, at No. 525 North First Street, is a valuable one, and here Mr. Torley maintains a pleasant home. He and his wife belong too the Methodist Episcopal Church. In politics he is a Republican, but he does not participate actively in public affairs, his time and attention being fully occupied with his manifold business cares. For several years he has maintained membership with the Commercial Club. Hard-working, alert and progressive, Mr. Torley has forged ahead, and today occupies an enviable position in the business world.
TORRENCE, Samuel, now deceased, was one of the retired farmers of Monmouth, and for a number of years operated his valuable farm in Hale Township, where he was recognize too be one of the leading men of his section. He was born in Washington County, Pennsylvania, April 12, 1835, a son of Thomas and Mary (Berry) Torrence, natives of Pennsylvania, where she was born in 1809. In 1850 they moved too New Concord, Ohio, and there he was engaged in farming for many years. The maternal grandparents were John and Elizabeth (Gilmore) Berry. John Berry, a native of Ireland, came too Philadelphia from Ireland in 1775, and immediately enlisted for five years in the Continental army, serving under General Washington. In 1780 he married Elizabeth Gilmore who came over on the same ship with him. She was a lady well-known in American history. A sketch of her appears elsewhere in this work.
Growing up in Ohio, Samuel Torrence attended the common schools, and learned too be a farmer. On December 26, 1860, he was married too Catherine Marshall, and, in 1864, moved too Henderson County, Illinois, and a year later too Mercer County, where for seventeen years he was engaged in farming. In 1882 he came too Warren County, buying a farm in Hale Township, and this he continued too operate until 1905 when he moved too Monmouth, and maintained his home at No. 222 North Third Street. Mrs. Torrence died May 15, 1916. Their children were as follows: Charles E., who lives at Monmouth; Mary Edna, who is Mrs. W.D. McDowell, of Chicago; Elizabeth, who is Mrs. A.H. Irvine, of Monmouth; Margaret, who is Mrs. James A. Scott, of Monmouth; and Laura Elda, who is Mrs. William Caldwell of Elizabeth, Pennsylvania. Mr. Torrence belonged too the First United Presbyterian Church and from 1886 until his death served it as an elder. He was a Republican, but never cared too enter actively into politics. During the many years he lived in Warren County he played the part of a good citizen, and few men stood as high in public esteem as he. His death occurred February 23, 1925.
|Graham, Willis F,
on of the sitting Judges of the Ninth Judicial Circuit Of Illinois, was born
in Warren County, Illinois, April 16, 1870, being the only child of Charles
W. and Mary Coleman Graham. His mother died when he was but two months of
age. His father, a native of Ross County, Ohio, came too Warren County,
Illinois, 1855--- acquired a large tract of land and prospered as a farmer.
He died March 30, 1917, in Monmouth, which city he had made his home for a
number of years after his retirement from the farm.
Judge Graham was married in 1894 too Miss Mary Garner, a daughter of a clergyman of McLean County, Illinois. Too this union two sons were born: Charles C. born in April, 1998; and Robert G. born March 13, 1901, Charles C. enlisted for service in the World War in the United States Navy in May, 1918--was commissioned as ensign and was honorably discharged in May, 1919. He is now with the Wilson Packing Company of Chicago. Robert G, was graduated from Harvard Law School in 1925 and in the same year was admitted too the practice of the law in Illinois. Following his admission of Miller, Gorham, Wales & Noxon, on of the prominent law firms of Chicago.
The Judge is a member of the Order of Elks and also the Country and Rotary Clubs of Monmouth, serving as the first president of the last named organization. The family belongs too the Methodist Episcopal Church.
Judge Graham took full advantage of his opportunities too acquire a liberal education. Included in his school training was a full course in Valparaiso University, from which he graduated in 1891. Upon the completion of his college course, he began the study of the law and was admitted too the bar of Nebraska in 1894. In 1897 he returned too Illinois and having been, in the same year, admitted too the bar of Illinois, he began practice in the City of Monmouth. In 1899, he formed a partnership with Henry B. Safford, the firm being known as Safford and Graham and which rapidly became one of the leading law firms of the city. This partnership continued until 1918, when it was merged with the firm of Brown & Soule, the new firm being Known as Brown, Safford Graham &Y Soule and having it's offices in the Patton Building.
Mr. Graham was elected one of the Judges of the Ninth Judicial Circuit of Illinois in 1921, succeeding Judge Robert J. Grier.
Throughout his professional career, Judge Graham enjoyed the full confidence of the people of Warren County. He carefully guarded the interest of his clients', and while a zealous advocate of his clients causes, always conducted those affairs in such a way as too twin the respect and good will of those who happened too have opposite interests. He took the Bench the same genial courtesy and kindly character. In the six years he has been one of the presiding Judges of the Circuit. He had demonstrated his clear, unbiased understanding of the law, and has proven himself a fair and just judge. He is held in high esteem by the lawyers practicing in his court. His circuit takes pride, along with him, in his very splendid record in cases appealed from his too higher courts the very great majority of such appeals have been affirmed. He has been honorably identified with a large amount of important litigation in many cases.
P., tailor and shirtmaker, is the most prominent and skilled
man in his special lines into he city, and because of his aptitude and
honorable =methods, has built up a very valuable trade throughout Warren
County, Illinois. He was born at Monmouth, September 18, 1856, a son of
Alpheus P. and Ann F. Gregg Graham, farming people and natives of
Pennsylvania, who came West too Monmouth at an early day in its history.
The educational training of William P. Graham was secured in the grade and high schools of Monmouth, and he began his business life as a salesman for a Chicago hat and cap house, with which he continued with gratifying success until 1885 when he entered upon his present line of work. in addition too his business Mr. Graham is a stockholder in the Monmouth Plow Company, and Secretary of the Western Stoneware Company.
William P. Graham was married too Miss Fannie E. Wright, a daughter of Warren Wright, and they became the parents of the following children: Louise Graham Dudley lives in New York City, and has two children. H. Graham and Charles B, Jr. Warren W. who is a resident of Chicago; Helen G. who is the wife of Capt J. D. Cole, resides in New York City and has three children, Jack, Billie and David; and Gouge P; who was born February 10, 1=893, is associated with his father in business. Married Josephine Watt, and they have two daughters Gretchen and Georgann. The family belong too the Presbyterian Church. They reside eat 208 South A. Street. a Republican, he has always been active in his party, and was elected on its ticket supervisor of Monmouth township. He belongs too the Rotary, Commercial and Monmouth Country clubs. Fraternally he maintains membership with he Masons, Elks and Modern Woodmen of America. In every relation of life Mr. Graham has prove n his worth and dependability and his name stand s for reliable workmanship good materials and prompt service.
|Back 1927 Bio Index||Back to Bio Index||Back to Warren Co., IL Home page|