Alexis, Illinois, USA
Village Museum former United Brethren
Church, Alexis, IL
1-5 PM Saturday, August 26, 1995
1-4 PM Sunday, August 27, 1995
no admission charge
Historical displays about the Alexis, Monmouth, Henderson County
Tuesday, October 24, 2006 11:06 AM last updated.
By Louis Simpson
Several months ago, the United Brethren Church discontinued operations and the building was sold to the Village of Alexis with the intent that it be used for a community museum since the village has had so much interesting history over the years. Recently meetings have been held, committees have formed and the ground work has begun. It will involve much work, time and effort for many to make this project a success. Many details must be considered, such as membership, bylaws, insurance, maintenance, preservation of antiques and heirlooms, records to keep and many more. August 26 and 27, Alexis is having their 125 year celebration and big plans are being made for two big days of events with parade, fun and enjoyment for all those attending. Members of the museum committee would like to invite everyone to visit the museum from l-5 pm. on Saturday, August 26 and from 1-4 pm. on Sunday, August 27. The museum will have interesting history and photos of the area and even though there will be very few museum articles at that time, many tables of fine antiques and primitives will be displayed by citizens in the area. There wi11 be no admission charge and it is our hope at this time that live entertainment and free refreshments will be available during those hours. At this time, we also have hopes of getting the History of Alexis on Internet through a new company in Macomb. If this is achieved, the history of the village can be reached on any computer anywhere in the U.S. and many foreign countries. Alexis has much history since it was platted in 1870 by Robert Holloway and J. E. Alexander. It was first named Alexander and later changed to Alexis - named after Grand Duke Alexis, heir to the Russian throne. He had been visiting the country hunting buffalo. Col. Holloway, with the Duke's consent, changed the post office name to Alexis.
A number of years ago, Alexis made the "Ripley's Believe It or Not" as the only town in the U.S. to be located in two counties and four townships.
Writer Frasier "Spike" Hunt purchased the Alexis Argus newspaper in 1913. He was the author of many books, including "Sycamore Bend," later made into a movie. He became a correspondent for the New York Sun in 1916. He was also a close friend of the Duke of Windsor.
Alexis is known as the Home of the Clydesdale Horses. Col. Holloway raised, imported and exported purebred Clydesdales and at one time had over one hundred in barns when a raid to steal them was attempted
Col. Holloway was an orator and a politician, being very influential, he was asked to introduce Stephen Douglas when he spoke on the square of Monmouth on October 5, 1858.
Excerpt::: written by Hope Holloway McKelvie,
direct descendant of Colonel Holloway....
|No history of Alexis would be complete without an account of "The Holloway Raid," which appeared in newspapers all over the United States as a front page sensation story. People came from miles around to hear the incident described by those who had witnessed the occurrence. Col. Holloway had on hand prior to the raid 100 horses which had been readied for sale. This was back in the early 1880's and took place on Durham Lawn, the Holloway homestead. It was the custom of Mr. Holloway to hold a sale every fall. People came from all over the United States for an opportunity to purchase the Clydesdale horses. Two men who claimed ownership of some of these valuable horses hired some 100 men spoken of as "thugs and toughs" to come down from Chicago and perform the daring raid. They had brought a special stock train and planned to load the horses and take them back to Chicago. During the early morning hours the faithful guards and attendants, who had not been bribed, were overpowered and tied up. Everything was going as the would be thieves had planned, but because of the unusual noise, Mrs. Holloway was awakened and immediately awakened the Colonel. When he rushed to the barn, he found all of his valuable horses missing, with the exception of his riding horse, which he saddled as fast as possible and sped to town to summon the Warren County sheriff and a posse. When he arrived at the telegraph office, he discovered the operator missing, having been taken away by the thugs. E. D. Alexander who at one time was the president of the Illinois Northern Utilities Company, was a very brave and daring young business man in Alexis and the owner of the fastest horse in town. Thus it was that Mr. Holloway contacted him for the purpose of getting the officers as soon as possible. According to the story told by my grandfather, E. B. Holloway, and my father, W. T. Holloway, this fine horse dropped dead on the edge of town, but the officers were contacted in a short time and soon a switch engine, bearing Col. Holloway's young attorney, the officers and young Alexander arrived on the scene. The thieves were just starting to load the horses when great numbers of friends and neighbors, alerted by Mr. Holloway, arrived to help. They came with every conceivable weapon, some having only a board to defend right. It seemed that there might be blood shed, for the raiders threatened to shoot anyone who tampered with the tracks. However, the brave men disregarded the threats and in a short time had piled boards and anything they could find in front of and behind the train, making it impossible for the train to move out in either direction. On the sheriff's arrival, he quickly deputized a group of farmers and all violence was averted. Officials of the railroad arrived soon thereafter. It took the rest of the day to repair and clear the track as the rescuers had done such a fine job. All of the Clydesdales were returned to the barns and Mr. Holloway's faithful foreman was found, bound and gagged. Litigation in Warren County courts lasted several years, and the rail way company was completely exonerated.|
Alexis has a pottery that was destroyed by fire on September, 1900.
These are just a few of the things that our community will remember and cherish. Please come and see our Museum across from the park, in the church building August 26, 1-5 pm and August 27, 1-4 pm. We, the committee, will do our best to be courteous and make your visit enjoyable.