Joshua W. Barber
A resident on
section 30, Lenox Township, engaged in agricultural pursuits, is a son of
Aaron W. and Ann C. (Hill) Barber, natives of New Jersey and Ohio
respectively. They had a family consisting of six children, of whom J. W..
Barber was the second in order of birth. He was born in Clermont Co., Ohio,
Aug.13, 1831, and lived at home with his parents until 1846, when he came to
Knox County, this State, and there resided until 1857. We next find him in
Warren County, where he located in Lenox Township, and has been a resident
of this place ever since.
1864, he enlisted in the 30th ILL. Vol. Inf., and served for
about nine months, and, on receiving an honorable discharge, he returned to
his home in this county and again engaged in the peaceful pursuits of life.
His farm comprises 85 acres of good tillable land, which, by his industry
and economy has been all improved.
Joshua W. was
married in Knox County, this State, on the 15th of November 1855,
the lady chosen to be his companion in life being Mary A. Woodmansee, who
was a native of Ohio. Albert F., who is a conductor on the Rock Island &
St. Louis Division of the Chicago, Burlington & Quincy Railroad; and Edith
V., the wife of Wm. K. Kittering, a resident of Monmouth Township, are the
two children of Mr. and Mrs. Joshua W. Barber.
Mr. B. has
served his township as Clerk and School Director, and politically he is a
Republican, and St. John man in temperance. Mr. and Mrs. B. are members of
the Methodist Protestant Church.
Nathaniel A. Rankin
farmer and fruit-grower, on section 31, Monmouth Township, was born in
Henderson Co., Kn., Feb. 1,1809. His father, Adam, was a doctor by
profession and a native of Pennsylvania, and of Scotch descent. He was
married in Kentucky, near Danville, to a Miss Speed, who afterward died,
leaving five children. Before the death of his wife he had moved to
Henderson County, in another part of the State, and there formed his second
matrimonial alliance, the lady being Miss Susan Roan Anderson, who was born
in Virginia, and was a daughter of a farmer and came to Kentucky when quite
young. Of the latter union five children were born, of whom out subject,
Nathaniel A., is the eldest and the only survivor. His brother, James E.,
was shot by a band of marauders while in his store in Henderson County,
because he was a Union sympathizer. He was a prominent merchant and member
of the Presbyterian Church.
Rankin, of whom we write, resided with his parents until the death of his
father, living with his mother afterward until his marriage. He has been
twice married,-- the first time to Miss Ann Louisa Holloway, third child of
George Holloway, of Bourbon Co., Ky. The acquaintance, which led to this
union, was formed while she was on a visit to her relatives in Henderson
Co., Ky., and was celebrated at that place March 29, 1831. She lived only a
little over two years after her marriage, her demise occurring Dec.18,
1833. His second marriage was celebrated near Paris, Bourbon County, Ky.,
on Christmas day, in the year 1834, the lady chosen to share his joys and
sorrows, successes and reverses, being Miss Martha Holloway, a daughter of
George Holloway and sister of Hon. Robert Holloway (see sketch). She was
born in Bourbon County, Dec. 7,1816, and was reared in her native county,
remaining at home with her parents until her marriage. They were farmers,
and father died in Bourbon County. The mother’s demise occurred at the home
of one of her sisters, the wife of Gen. W. F. Thornton, of Shelbyville,
ILL. Mrs. Rankin was the fourth child of her father’s family of seven
children, and she has become the mother of ten children, seven of whom are
living: William H. is married and engaged as a furniture dealer in
Monmouth, where he resides; Adam is also marred and engaged in agricultural
pursuits in Johnson Co., Kan.; Anna is the wife of D. E.. Thompson, a stock
speculator, and resides in Los Angeles, Cal.; Mary married William H. Irwin,
who is engaged in the real-estate in Dawson Co., Neb.; George C. is Clerk of
the Circuit Court of Warren County; Belle and Robert reside at home, the
latter operating the homestead. Three of Mr. Rankin’s children died in
after marriage Mr. and Mrs. Rankin came to Illinois, locating at
Springfield, where Mr. R. had established himself about 12 months prior to
his marriage in the mercantile business. After marriage he lived there for
about nine years, doing a successful business in his line. He went thence
to Shelbyville, ILL, and embarked in the same business and remained for
about three years. In 1845, he came to Warren County, and settled in
Monmouth, where he carried on an extensive business in produce and general
merchandise. He was thus occupied until 1861, when he came to his present
farm, which consists of 80 acres of land, and which is under an excellent
state of cultivation. As a fruit-grower he has done exceedingly well, and
at the annual fairs he represents his products, which always take away a
share of the laurels. Grapes and strawberries are his specialty.
has ever taken an active and prominent part in every enterprise having for
its object the advancement of the public interest. He has always been found
associated with the best and most prominent people in the county in laboring
for the public good. He has been called upon to fill many public positions,
which he always did with a high degree of satisfaction to all concerned. He
was one of the first Aldermen of Monmouth, and during the years 1859-60 was
Mayor of the city. He was United States Internal Revenue Assessor of his
district for six years, from 1862-to 1868. He served as Supervisor for two
years and Justice of the Peace for eight years. In 1864 the Warren County
Agricultural Society elected him President, and re-elected him the following
year. In 1868, when the Warren County Reading Room was first organized, he
was chosen President of the Board on Directors, and was a member of the
Board of Directors of the Warren County Library from 1870 to 1879, the
latter institution growing out of the Reading Room. Thus it will be seen,
as above stated, that he has been both an active and a leading spirit in the
affairs of Monmouth and Warren County for years. He never has pushed
himself into position, but being recognized as the man best fitted for the
work in hand was selected without opposition.
Mr. R. is a Republican, and takes a prominent part in politics. Mr. Rankin,
wife and daughter Belle are active members of the Christian Church, and he
has been Elder of his congregation for nearly 40 years, which position he is
filling at the present time.
pleased to present to our patrons the portrait of Mr. Rankin, which we do in
connection with this sketch. Et will be gladly received by his many friends
all over the county who have so long and favorably known him.
sunset of his life in ease and comfort at Roseville, was born in Kentucky,
July 26,1830, and is a son of Andrew and Elizabeth (Jones) Meacham, natives
respectively of North Carolina and Kentucky. They came to Illinois in 1838
and located in Sangamon County, where they purchased 120 acres of land and
remained for two years; the elder Meacham then sold out there and came to
Warren County and made a purchase of a farm where the village of Ellison now
stands. Here he remained for four years. He next located three miles west
of Roseville, on a tract of 80 acres of land. He subsequently went to New
Lancaster, where he was engaged in the dry goods and grocery business for a
number of years. After selling his interest in the latter enterprise he
purchased 80 acres in the southeast part of Ellison Township, upon which he
resided until his death, in 1878, the death of his wife occurring a year
later. Their family consisted of nine children, five of whom are living –
Miles G., Lavina, Frances W., Etna and Achilles.
the gentleman whose name heads this personal narrative, remained the
companion of his parents until he reached the age of 20 years, in the
meantime receiving a good common-school education. After leaving home, he
rented a farm for the first year, and in 1851 made a purchase of 80 acres,
located on section 34, Ellison Township, and upon this he resided for 20
years, entering actively and energetically upon the task of its improvement
and cultivation, adding by subsequent purchases 269 acres. He, in the year
1870, purchased a house and five acres of land at Roseville, where he
resides. This he has since increased by a ten-acre tract.
Mr. F. W.
Meacham was married in 1851 to Miss Harriet Herring, a native of
Pennsylvania. She has borne him seven children, as follows: Edward, Nora,
George, Casa, Luther, Oscar (deceased) and Flora, who died when 12 years
old. Edward married Miss Mary Bragg, and they have a family consisting of
four children, -- Frederick, William, Clara and Angie. Nora married William
Buckley, and George is in partnership with the last named gentleman in the
hardware business at Roseville.
is a Republican and with his wife belongs to the Methodist Episcopal Church.
Josiah C. Lucas
One of the
largest land-owners in Warren County and also one of her most successful
farmers and respected citizens, resides on section 18, Cold Brook Township.
He has been a resident of this county during his entire life, having been
born in Monmouth Township, July 30,1832, and has consequently witnessed the
development of the county to the present magnificent agricultural condition
which it presents to-day.
The farmer of
Mr. Lucas of this sketch, Marsham Lucas, was a native of Hart Co., Ky., and
a farmer by occupation. He was married in his native county to Miss Cynthia
Ann Whitman, likewise a native of that county and State. They emigrated to
this State in 1829, locating in Morgan County, and after a residence there
of some time, came to this county, in 1831, where Marsham Lucas purchased
land from the Government, located on section 31, Monmouth Township, and
where the parents continued to reside until the death of the mother, which
occurred in October, 1837. Marsham Lucas, by his first marriage, had five
sons and two daughters. In order of birth they were, Thomas H., now a
resident of Oregon; Christopher W., who died in 1880; Albert W., also a
resident of Oregon; Sarah E. became the wife of Elijah D. Butler: they moved
to Oregon, where they both died; Josiah C. was next in order of birth; Emily
J. became the wife of James M. Ellis, and they live in Palmyra, Mo.; and
Samuel C., a resident of Indiana.
whose name heads this article was a child of five years at the date of his
mother’s death. He was the youngest but two of his parents’ children, and
after the death of his mother, his father was a second time married, when
Mrs. Elizabeth Davidson, nee Deweese, became his wife, with whom Mr. Lucas
of this sketch continued to reside until four years after attaining his
majority. In 1865 his father and step-mother moved to Abingdon, where they
are at present living, retired from the active labors of life and enjoying
their accumulations of the past.
Lucas resided with his parents until he was 24 years old, at which time he
was married in the township of his nativity to Hannah J. Townsend. She was
a native of Putnam Co., N.Y., born March 22,1833, and came to Illinois with
her parents when a young lady. She resided at home, acquiring an education
in the common schools and assisting her mother in the household labors,
until her marriage to Mr. Lucas. Her parents are both deceased. They were
James and Polly (Baldwin) Townsend. They became residents of this county in
1855 and were farmers and members of the Baptist Church, and Mr. Townsend,
in politics, was a Democrat.
and wife have had born to them eight children, namely: Berry, who married
Katie B. Jamison: they live near Abingdon, Knox Co., Ill, where he is
engaged in farming and the breeding of Polled Angus cattle; Guy is deceased;
Ola A. is now a student of law at the Chicago Union College of Law: he is a
graduate of Knox College; James L., Jessie E., Rosa J., Harry C., and a
daughter who died in infancy, are the names of the other members of the
After Mr. and
Mrs. Lucas were united in marriage, Mr. Lucas made his first purchase of
land in Cold Brook Township, consisting of 80 acres, on which he located and
engaged actively and energetically in its improvement. Hw has subsequently,
by his energy, good judgment and perseverance, added to his original
purchase of land in this county at different times until he is at present
the proprietor of 1,800acres of good farm land, the same being located in
Cold Brook, Floyd and Monmouth Townships, and some in Knox County. The
landed interests of Mr. Lucas have been acquired through that indomitable
energy and perseverance of which he is characteristic. He is a gentleman
possessed of far more than ordinary ability as a business man, and is
regarded as one of the successful farmers of Warren County. He is also
engaged in breeding thoroughbred Polled Angus cattle. A view of his home is
shown on another page of the Album.
Mr. Lucas and
his wife are members of the Christian Church, and in politics Mr. Lucas is a
believer in and a supporter of the principles of the Democratic Party.
energetic and successful agriculturist of Lenox Township, Warren County, is
a son of Reuben and Lucy (Sprague) Thomas, and a native of Ohio, having been
born in Clermont County in August, 1830. His parents were natives of New
Jersey and New Hampshire respectively, and of their union four children were
born,--Zuba, Alonzo, Timothy and Alice. Zuba is deceased.
Timothy Thomas, the subject of this biographical sketch, remained at home,
working on the farm and attending school when opportunity presented itself,
until he attained the age of majority, at which age he came to Warren County
and worked out by the month for two years. At the expiration of that time
he rented land and improved cultivated it for three years, when he engaged
in working with his father. After thus being busily engaged for several
years, he accumulated sufficient to enable him to purchase a tract of 120
acres of land, of which he is now the possessor. Having entered actively
and energetically upon its improvement, he has it now under an advanced
state of cultivation, with a good residence and other necessary buildings
7,1870, in Knox County, this State, occurred one of the most important
events in the life of Mr. Thomas, it being his marriage to Miss Leannah
Neff, a daughter of Jacob and Mary (Shoemaker) Neff, natives of Virginia.
Jonathan, Jackson, Sally, Catherine, Rebecca, Melvina, Leannah, Susan,
Joseph, Mary and Elias are the names of the 11 children born to Mr. and Mrs.
Neff. Leannah, now the wife of Timothy Thomas, our subject, was born in
Virginia, March 28,1840, and with her husband has become the parents of four
children,-- Mary B., Asa, Charles and Lucy B., ass residing at home with
and Mrs. Thomas are members of the Baptist Church, and politically Mr. T.
casts his vote with the Republican Party.
Warren County P.
George G. McCosh
editor of the Evening Gazette came to Monmouth in 1872, after serving an
enlistment of about four years in the volunteer service and in the United States
army. From the date of his honorable discharge from the army until the time of
his arrival in Monmouth, he worded at the printer’s case in the offices of
several prominent journals, including the Galveston (Texas) Daily News. His
first employment in Monmouth was in the capacity of a journeyman printer, the
greater part of the next three years being passed in one of the printing offices
The Roseville Gazette, a weekly paper,
was founded by Mr. McCosh May 24,1876, and published without interruption until
about a year from that date, when it was changed to the Monmouth Gazette, also a
weekly. For four of five months in the fall of 1880 there was published in
connection there with a daily, which at the time of its suspension contained the
statement that it would be resumed at an early date. The fulfillment of this
announcement was accomplished Jan. 23,1883, the date of the first issue of the
Evening Gazette, the Monmouth Gazette being continued as a weekly.
The success of the new daily was
immediate and decided, and its prosperity has been uninterrupted. Considering
its age and location, its career has been phenomenal. Its excellent reputation,
large circulation and prosperous condition in every respect, are results that
have been attained through the vigor, perseverance, sound judgment and fixed
purpose of its founder. The Evening Gazette had been from the start an
independent journal. The best verdict regarding the propriety of its course is
the general confidence of the people which it has continually enjoyed and which
are to be won only by frankness and honestly. In the short period of three
years, its circulation rose to between 10,000 and 12,000 a week, its influence
increasing with its circulation. Mr. McCosh has directed its course without
once losing sight of the object to be attained, in which enterprise he has been
seconded at every move by the people of Warren and neighboring counties, and he
is able to furnish the readers of the Evening Gazette as good a daily as is
published in any city of less than 25,000 population in the United States. In
the wok of building up the Evening Gazette, Mr. McCosh has been ably assisted by
his associate editor, Mr. Cyrus J. Wood, formerly of the Rochester (N. Y.)
Herald, who removed to Monmouth in the autumn of 1883.
Mr. McCosh was born in Pittsburgh, Pa.,
April 1, 1846, and was the seventh in order of birth of a family of six sons and
three daughters, the children of Robert and Margaret (Armstrong) McCosh. The
McCosh family is of Scotch descent. George McCosh entered the printing office
of W. S. Haven, at Pittsburgh, as an apprentice, in 1859, and served while there
under the direction of Mr. George Norris, Sr., to whose fatherly oversight and
kind advice he frequently refers in terms of gratitude.
Religiously, Mr. McCosh was reared a
United Presbyterian, of which Church his mother, at the advanced age of 76
years, is a devout member, in the city of Burlington, Iowa. Mr. McCosh’s father
was a carpenter of limited means, strictly honorable and upright in all his
dealings, and he taught his children lied principles of conduct. He died at
Pittsburgh in 1863, bequeathing to his children the rich legacy of an unsullied
name. His son George, received only a meager school education, the advantages
of which have of necessity been supplemented by close study at the printer’s
case and in the office.
George McCosh was married
April 14,1875, to the daughter of Deputy-Sheriff C. Coates, Miss Cora Coates, by
whom he has two children—Nettie Harding and Harry Thomson McCosh.
Mr. McCosh is not only one of the leading
journalists of the State, but is one of Warren County’s most enterprising and
valuable citizens. He is an earnest and fearless advocate of what he feels is
right, and his able efforts, both through the columns of his paper and
personally, are faithfully devoted to up building his city and the prosperity of
Warren County. As a prominent representative, both of his profession and of the
business element of this county, the publishers take pleasure in presenting the
portrait of Mr. McCosh in the Album. It is engraved from a photograph recently
Warren County P. 512
William A. Allen ``*Civil
Has been from childhood a resident of the township of Sumner, in
Warren County. He came here with his parents in 1839, and was then nine years
of age. He was born in Preble co., Ohio, Feb. 22,1830. Andrew Allen, his
father, was a native of South Carolina and was born in 1801. He was of Scotch-
Irish descent, both his parents being the children of parents of that race of
people. Their respective families located in South Carolina, where they were
married. They were dissatisfied in a community where slave-holding was
prevalent, and they removed to Ohio early in the 19th century. Their
son Andrew was then very young. The family were among the earliest of the
permanent settlers in Preble County. The grandsire of Mr. Allen, of this
sketch, was a soldier in the war of 1812, and died in Monroe County, Ind.
Andrew Allen, his son, was reared to manhood in Ohio, and married Sarah Giles.
She was also a native of the State of South Carolina. After their marriage they
located in Rebel County, and were there resident until 1832. In that year they
emigrated to Indiana. They located in Clinton County, where they were
pioneers. Mr. Allen bought Government land, which was covered with heavy
timber, built a hewed-log house and began the work of clearing a farm. He was
convinced that there were better opportunities father West and, accordingly, in
1839, started with his wife and five children for Illinois. The party had one
wagon and three horses and they traveled after the gypsy fashion, which was then
the prevalent method. They halted on the Sabbath and held religious services.
A journey of four weeks brought them to Warren County. Mr. Allen bought the
northeast quarter of section 10, township 12,range 3, which is now named Sumner
Township. The place was in a state of nature, and the new proprietor erected a
log house and commenced the work of improving the land. A good frame house
replaced the primitive cabin of the pioneer, and the whole farm was transformed
into a desirable and valuable homestead, and such was its office unit the death
of the wife and mother, when Mr. Allen sold the place and went to live with his
daughter, Mrs. Mary S. Rogers. His wife died in August, 1857, and his demise
occurred Feb. 7,1881. Following is the record of their children: John H. lives
in Monmouth; William A. is the second child; Margaret C. is the wife of Marion
Jamison, of Furness Co., Neb.; Nancy A. and Robert B. are deceased; Mary S.
married Nicholas Rogers of Sumner Township.
Allen, of this sketch, was nine years of age when his parents removed to
Illinois. He passed the years of his minority in the manner common to the sons
of pioneer farmers and made his home with his parents until his marriage, when
he located on section 4 of Sumner township.
Eliza J. Stewart became the wife of
William A. Allen April 6, 1852. She was born in Washington co., Pa., and is the
daughter of Robert C. and Mary A. (Kirk) Stewart. Five of their children are
still living. Florence E. is married to James C. Robb, of Mercer County; Mary
is the wife of Kenneth Whitman, a resident of Keithsburg; Robert lives in
Sumner Township; he married Mary R. Choat, and they have one child; Elizabeth Y.
and William Linas are the youngest two. Jennie, the fourth child in order of
birth, was removed by death at the age of two years. Emma was the last born and
died at the age of two years. The father and mother and all the children, with
the exception of the youngest, are members of the United Presbyterian Church.
Mr. Allen entered the military service of
his country during the war of the Rebellion. He enlisted in September, 1862, in
Co. I, 50th Ill. Vol. Inf., and accompanied the
regiment to Missouri. He was in the battle of Fort Donelson. He was in the
service a year and was discharged on account of disability to do military duty,
in September, 1863. He has never
recovered the former vigor and strength that was once his best possession.
The parents of Mrs. Allen were of
Scotch-Irish origin, the grandparents coming to this county when quite young and
settling in Washington Co., Pa.
County Pg. 513
John A. Miller
Is a farmer and breeder of stock in Kelly
Township, and is located on section 1. He is a native citizen of the township
of which he is an important business factor and in which he was born Aug.
1,1842. Christian Miller, his father, was born in East Tennessee, Aug. 31,
1807, and removed with his parents to Indiana when he was in his youth. John’s
father, George Miller, bought a quantity of land situated about three miles form
Crawfordsville, where he cleared a farm and lived until 1832. In that year he
removed to Illinois and was the pioneer settler at Sugar Grove in Mercer
County. Millersburg, which bears the family name, was named for the first
settler in that part of Mercer County. In 1850, George Miller again yielded to
the inspiration of the pioneer spirit, which controlled him throughout his life,
and turned his face toward the setting sun. He crossed the plains to the
Pacific Coast and was a pioneer in the valley of the Willamette in that
territory. He lived there a few years and went into the interior of Oregon,
where he remained until his death, at the age of 96. He was a nimrod of more
than ordinary pretensions, and killed deer with his rifle after he was a
nonagenarian. Abraham Miller, one of his sons, now 90 years of age, was the
first Clerk of Mercer County.
Christian Miller passed the major portion
of his boyhood and youth in Indiana. He was married there Sept. 6,1833, to Mary
Brown. He came to Illinois in 1832, and located for a short time at Henderson’s
Grove, in Knox County; afterwards he removed to Edwards’ River in Mercer County,
where he continued to reside until 1839. The removal of his family to Warren
County was then effected, and he made a settlement on section 1, Kelly Township,
where he erected a log house and occupied the pioneer cabin while he put his
land in shape for profitable cultivation. He afterward built a good frame
house, which was his home as long as he lived. He died July 28, 1869. Five of
the children born to him and his wife are still living: Jane is the wife of
Leonard W. Edelman, who resides in the township of North Henderson, Mercer
County, and of whom a sketch is given on another page; Samuel Miller lives at
Alexis; George is a resident of Atchison, Kan.; John A. is the manager of the
homestead; B. Frank lives in Alexis. Mrs. Miller died in 1856. She was born
in Ohio, Sept. 6, 1812. After the death of his wife, the father married Mrs.
Sarah Dean, who was a native of Indiana and is now living in Page Co., Iowa.
Samuel and Jane Brown, the maternal grandparents of Mr. Miller of this sketch,
were pioneers of Knox County.
John A. Miller passed the entire period
of his youth in the township where he was born. He was reared on the family
homestead and received his education in the common schools. He was among the
first to enroll himself in the military service in the first year of the
Rebellion, and enlisted
Aug. 6, 1861, in Co. A.
102d Ill. Vol. Inf. The
command joined the army in Kentucky and also went into Tennessee. Feb. 18,1862,
Mr. Miller was discharged on account of inability to perform military duty. He
returned to his home and resumed his former vocation of farmer on the homestead,
of which he has since been the continuous occupant, with the exception of a
single year passed at Galesburg, where he was for that time variously occupied.
He is now owner of the homestead and also the owner of 80 acres formerly
included in the farm known as the Allen Brown estate in the township of North
Henderson, Mercer County.
The marriage of Mr. Miller to Mary,
daughter of Harvey and Mary (Lofton) Gregg, of Knox County, took place Sept.
29,1869. Mabel, their only child, was born May 11,1881. Mr. and Mrs. Miller
have had four children; the three first- born died within one year. Maud was
eight years old at the time of her decease; Ethel died at 18 months; an infant
Mr. Miller is an adherent of the
Warren County Pg. 514
Hon. Calvin M. Rodgers
In presenting this biographical notice of
the career of one of the leading men of Warren County, and a gentleman who is
thoroughly representative of its progressive elements, we deem it our duty to
first briefly advert to the life-story of those from whom he draws his origin.
Rev. John Rodgers, the grandfather of our
subject, was born in Scotland, about the year of 1735.
When about 35 years old he emigrated to
this country with his wife and settled in Pennsylvania. Soon after his arrival
in the country of his adoption his wife died, and he was remarried to Isabel
Ireland, a lady of Irish origin. One child was the offspring of the first
union, a boy, Thomas. His second wife bore to him a large family, seven in
number, namely: John, Aleri, Aniel, William, Alexander, Samuel, Margaret and
Aleri, the third son of John Rodgers, was
the father of the subject of this notice, and was born in Rockbridge Co., Va.,
in 1785, whence his father had removed from Pennsylvania a few years
previously. He grew to manhood at home, and after his marriage still remained
under separated from his parents, who passed the declining years of their lives
under his protection. In his will, the grandfather of our subject, who was a
man of some pretensions to scholarly attainments, bequeathed his library, which
was considered in those days one of the best in Virginia, and consisted largely
of classical works, to Washington and Lee Colleges, of Virginia. Some of his
books of which he made special bequests are still treasured by his descendants.
The father of our subject married Mary
Davidson, a native of Rockbridge County, and the daughter of John and Mary
Davidson, people of Scotch-Irish descent. Four children were born to them in
Virginia, John, William, Andrew and Alexander.
During the year 1814,
Aleri, with the
rank of First Lieutenant, together with Aniel and one other brother, entered the
service of their country, and remained until the close of the war. (Vets of 1812
In the year of 1822, the father of our
subject, with his family, emigrated to the West, settling in Monroe Co., MO.
The journey was performed overland in their own conveyance, and, passing through
the States of Virginia, Tennessee, Kentucky, and Illinois, they reached St.
Louis, at that remote period but a small village, finally arriving at their
destination after a long and tedious journey of three months. The father of the
family settled with his little flock on a half section of land near Florida,
Monroe Co., which had previously been entered by Col. Benton, of St. Louis. He
soon increased his domain to 600 acres, but with the many disadvantages
attendant upon wresting a living from the soil in that very early day, he became
dissatisfied with his location and determined to seek a new one. His family had
in the meantime been increased by six children, who were, Mary, Joseph, Phoebe,
Isabel, Samuel and Calvin M. In he year of 1836, we accordingly find him
settled in Hale Township, Warren County. Here he had purchased a tract of 400
acres, upon which he erected a home, where the remaining years of his life were
passed, his death occurring in December, 1863. The mother of our subject
survived until the year 1880.
In this connection it is proper to say
that to Aleri Rogers,
along with his brother Andrew, especial honor and credit is due for having
introduced the first reaping machine brought West of the Alleghenies.
It was of the McCormick pattern, and was shipped from Lynchburg, Va., via
Richmond, New Orleans and up the Mississippi to Oquawka, Ill., and thence by
wagon to the old Rogers homestead in Hale Township. The day of its trial was a
memorable one in the annals of the community.
Charles S. Colver, M. D.
Colver, M. D. has been a medical practitioner in Warren County since 1853.
He was educated primarily in the common schools of the county in Ohio, where
he was born, and at the age of 19 he commenced the study of medicine at
Middlebury, in Logan county, under the instructions of Dr. Walker. Later, he
read under the advice of Dr. Davenport, of Woodstock, in Union County. When
was thoroughly grounded in he course of his reading, he repaired to the
college at Cincinnati, and at a later date he attended lectures at Starling
Medical College in Columbus, Ohio. He was graduated from the latter
institution with the degree of M. D. in he same year in which he came to
Warren County, Illinois, A few months prior to finishing his studies at
Starling he operated as a physician in Montgomery County, and he went thence
to New California, in Union County, where he was engaged at the time he
completed his collegiate course. He started for Illinois immediately after
his graduation. He brought his family with him as far as Hennepin, on the
Illinois River, whence he came to Little York with team to decide for
himself as to the feasibility of the place for his business. He also made
examination of other localities and decided on Little York as a suitable
place for his purpose. He brought his household to that point and it has
since been his field of operation. Three years after his removal hither he
bought a piece of wild prairie in Mercer County situated eight miles from
Little York and his family removed to it. The doctor continued his practice
and hired laborers to effect the work of improvement on his land. After a
residence there of about a decade he sold out and removed to the farm he now
occupies on the northeast, quarter of section 20. He has rebuilt the house
which was on the place, erected a barn and otherwise improved the farm.
became his wife in 1848. She is a native of Greene Co., Ohio. She was the
daughter of Robert and Hadassah Gillispie Hamilton. Her parents were of
Scotch-Irish origin. The grandparents came to this country about 1770 and
settled in Pennsylvania. They moved from the above State in 1812, and
settled near Xenia, Ohio. Mrs. C., was born March 11, 1825, she being the
oldest of four children born to her parents, viz: Hadassah T., Hannah M.,
Mary, and James G. Two are deceased, Hannah M., and Mary J. Dr. and Mrs.
Colver have had the following children: Rosa, their first-born died when
about 18 months old; Robert O., married Miss Bessie Watt, a native of
Pennsylvania, and now resides in Sedgwick Co., Kan., ;Mark S. married Jennie
Brownlee, a native of Warren County and lives in Georgetown, Co., and have
one child---Pearlie; Charles B. married Mrs. Libbie Smythe, a native of New
York, and they one child--Hadassah, named after it s grandmother. They are
now living in Edwards Co., Kan.; Olive born July 25, 1853, died Sept 14,
1885; Abi H. and merle D. are the youngest children, and reside at home. The
various members of the family of Dr. Colver are members of the Unite
Presbyterian Church. Dr. C., is a believer and supporter of the principles
advocated by The Republican Party.
Rayburn, one of Warren County's most prominent well-to-do and respected
farmers, and a resident of section 36, Ellison Township, was born near Mr.
Sterling, Montgomery Co., Ky, Oct 18, 1822. His father, George Rayburn, a
farmer and native of the same State, was son of an old Kentucky family who
settled there in its early history. He was first married in Montgomery
County to Miss White, who died a few years later without issue. After the
death of his wife, George Rayburn went to Ripley Co., Ind., where he was
again married to Susan Shafer, a native of Virginia
and daughter of farmer, and old soldier of the Revolutionary War,
having enlisted when only 16 years of age. After marriage, Mr. Rayburn
returned to Montgomery County, settling near Mr. Sterling the county seat
and while residing there the subject of our memoir was born. When but an
infant his parents again returned to Ripley Co., Ind. and located upon a
farm where William R., was reared, educated and resided until his marriage.
His parents died there some years after his marriage.
The date of the
marriage of William R. Rayburn with Miss Sarah Roberts, daughter of John and
Jane Salyers Roberts, natives of Kentucky, took place Nov 17, 1854, in
Jefferson Co., Ind. where her parent had moved some time previous. Her
parents were very early settlers in Southern Indiana. They both died there.
Warren E. Taylor,
M. D. Health Officer, and one of the prominent young physicians and surgeons
of Monmouth, was born at Waukesha, Wis., May 24, 1854. His parents, Evander
T. and Isabelle Irving Taylor, were natives respectively of the State of
Vermont and New York, and descended from the old Puritan stock of New
England; were married in Genesee Co., N. Y., and subsequently were among the
Pioneers of Waukesha Co., Wis.
whose name heads this biographical notice received his literary training at
the State University, Madison, Wis., and when about 18 years of age began
reading medicine with Q. O. Sutherland, at Janesville, Wis. The following
year he entered Hahnemann Medical College, at Chicago. He graduated from
that institution with the degree of M. D, in 1876, after receiving a full
course. He was demonstrator of Anatomy for one year after his graduation.,
Monmouth was the scene of his first professional experience, and from here,
after a successful.
William Spencer Almond
William Spencer Almond, now deceased, was
formerly a resident in the township of Point Pleasant. He was born Oct. 11,
1811, in Louisa Co., Va. His parents removed in his youth to Kentucky and
were pioneers of Warren County, that State.
Wyatt Almond, his father, was a man of superior abilities and education and
was a soldier in the service of the united States in the War of 1812. He
followed the profession of teacher in Kentucky and was a resident of that
State after his removal there until the time of his death. The name of the
lady who became his wife was Susannah Ware previous to her marriage to him.
After his death she came tot Illinois and married Thomas Gunter, and finally
died in Swan Township, this county. Five of her children are her survivors.
a daughter, Mrs. Elizabeth Watkins, resides in Shenandoah, Iowa. Thomas
lives in Point Pleasant Township. William S. was the next in order of birth.
Mrs. Susan Collier resides in Arkansas. Zachariah D., is a citizen of Union
Mills, Mahaska Co., Iowa.
Mr. Almond, of
this sketch, was brought up in the county in which he was born. He was
married in Kentucky, to Miss Nancy Spradling, who was a native of that
State, and died there in 1852. She left six children: William Allen lives in
Union Mills, Iowa. Martha J. is the wife of Joseph Johnson, of Point
Pleasant Township. Thomas J. is a farmer in the same.
James W. was a soldier in the 83d Ill. Vol. Inf., and was killed at Fort
Donelson. After the death of his first wife, Mr.
Almond was married to Sarah A. Hawkins. Mrs. Hawkins was born in Warren Co.,
Ky, March 3, 1818. She was the daughter of Samuel and Elizabeth Meyers
Hawkins. Mr. H. was an Englishman by birth and his wife was native of
Virginia. They both died in Edmonson Co., Ky. The marriage of Mr. and Mrs.
Almond took place about the year 1854. She, by a former marriage, to
Mitchell Spradling, had four children: Mary F., wife of George Ewing, a
resident of Mills Co., Iowa. James K. olives in Kansas. Rebecca, wife of L.
W. Simmons, and lives in California. Angeline, wife of Weldon Worrell, and a
resident of Mills Co., Iowa.
removed to Illinois in 1852. They traveled with ox-teams and brought with
them all their household belongings, and they lived in the gypsy fashion
while on the road. Mr. Almond made a location in the township of Swan, where
he bought 50 acres of land on section34, on which he lived four years. At
the end of that time he sold the property there and removed to Point
Pleasant Township, where he bought 160 acres of wild land, on section 34.
This was the homestead until the death of the father, which occurred May 12,
1884. All the property was under improvement, and the proprietor had
increased his acreage until he was she owner of 320 acres in that township
and another considerable tract in Iowa. Mr. Almond had built farm structures
of a character suited to the farm. He was a quiet man and good neighbor, a
member of the Methodist Church, and in political sentiment a Democrat.
Of the second
marriage which has been mentioned there were three children, of whom two are
living, They are named Andrew S. and Jesse E. The latter was born April 30,
1859. He received his education in the public schools, and was married to
Lydia J. Larkins, June 13, 1880. Mrs. Almond was born in Warren County, Jan
22, 1860, and is the daughter of Samuel and marry Smith Larkins. Wernie E.,
is the only surviving child of Mr. and Mrs. Almond. Their first child was
named Ora Dell, and she died when less than nine months old.
Mr. Isaac N.
Almond, the youngest son by the former marriage, was in his second year when
his mother died, and he was brought to Illinois by his father. He was
trained and educated in the manner common to the sons of farmers, and the
first important event of his life was his marriage to Mary E. Waters, which
took place April 23, 1876. She was born in Ohio, Aug. 5, 1855. Her death
occurred March 17, 1881. In September, 1882, Mr. Almond was again married to
Etta C. Prather. She is a native of Abingdon, Knox Co., Ill. Two children
were born of the first marriage. Their names are Elvin Walter and Eva J.
George C., is the name of the only child of the second marriage.
James Smith, an
agriculturist prosecuting his vocation on section 16, Berwick Township, was
born in Greene co., Ohio, near Xenia, September 15, 1841, and is a son of
James Smith, who was born in Pennsylvania and died about 1850, in Ohio, and
whose father, Joseph Smith, died at Jeffersonville, Ind., about 1841, the
year in which the subject of this sketch first saw the light of day.
James Smith, at
the date of his father's death, was but nine years of age, and accompanied
his grandfather on his mother's side, by the name of Broadstone, to this
State. His grandfather came from Wales to this country, and to this State in
1850, and located in Crawford County and there died. Some three years later,
in the spring of 1856, James, the subject, came here and located near
He enlisted in
the War for the Union, joining Co C 83d Regt. Ill. Vol. Inf., under Capt. L.
B. Cutler, of Monmouth, and was mustered into the service in that city. His
regiment was ordered to Fort Henry, Ky., where it remained for some 25 days
and was then ordered to Fort Donelson, some 12 miles distant. He
participated in the fight of Fort Donelson, Feb. 3, 1863, and after that
battle he was stationed at the fort until June, 1865, when he was mustered
out at Nashville, Tenn., receiving his final discharge and pay at Chicago,
July 5, 1865, where upon he immediately started upon the train for his
home in Monmouth Township, Warren County, Illinois.
Mr. Smith, of
this notice, was united in marriage with Abbie S. Pike, march 25, 1879. She
was born June 5, 1850, in Stoughton, Mass. Her father Augustus H. Pike, was
a native of Maine and died while in the Union Army, in 1861, some six months
after he had enlisted. He married Miss Mary T. Southworth, of the literary
family of Southsworths, who was born in Boston, Mass, in 1823, and died in
Dubuque, Iowa, in 1855. Mrs. Smith was a resident of Galesburg, Knox Co.,
Ill., at the time of her marriage, where her western relatives live. To Mr.
and Mrs. Pike three children were born, Abbie S., ........leave
off come back
George W. Fish
George W. Fish,
engaged in agriculture on section 4, Berwick Township, was born in Oneida
Co., N Y, July 28, 1820. He is son of William A. Fish, a native of
Connecticut, in which State he was born April 1, 1788, Mr. Fish, father of
the subject of this notice, is one of the pioneer settlers of this county,
coming here in 1836, and purchasing 71 acres of land on section 4, Berwick
Township. Previous to his coming to this State and county, he had followed
his trade, that of a carpenter, in Oneida co., NY.
On arrival in
this county, he located on his land and there resided actively engaged in
its cultivation until his death, May 4, 1845. He was an industrious man,
kind-hearted and generous, and took an active interest in any an all
measures that were calculated to benefit the community in which he resided
actively engaged in it cultivation until his death, May 4, 1845. He was an
industrious man, kind-hearted and generous, and took an active interest in
any and all measure that were calculated to benefit the community in which
he resided. He was married to Miss Lydia S. Allen Feb 4, 1816. She was born
Sept 25, 1798, in Oneida Co., N. Y., and died March 23, 1885. Of the union
four children were born, ---Helen, June 22, 1820, George, July 28, 1822;
Allen, Jan 21, 1828, and Albert April 4, 1831. Two children are deceased.
George W. Fish
came to this State with his parents, and located with them on the old
homestead in Berwick Township, this county. He has followed agricultural
pursuits all his life, and at present is engaged in the same occupation on
the identical land on which his parents first located when they came to the
county. Mr. Fish has never enjoyed the "Blessings" of double blessedness,
but has a most amiable and intelligent housekeeper in the person of his
sister. She was born in 1820; never married, and is a member of the
Presbyterian Church, as was also her mother. In politics, Mr. Fish votes
with the Democratic party.
Joseph W. Vorwick,
the only manufacturer of the Vorwick celebrated road-cart is located at
Monmouth, where he began in a limited way to operate a shop upon his own
responsibility in 1879. He first opened out as a repairer of all sorts of
vehicles, his capital consisting of his strength and skill, but from the he very
beginning, almost, the capacity of his shop showed increasing business, until he
now stands at the head as a manufacturer in his line in this country.
The patent of Mr.
Vorwick, being an anti-horse motion road-cart, is the nearest a perfect success
that has ever been reached in that most useful and economical of all vehicles.
Mr. Vorwick was born in Fort Madison, Iowa, Feb 1, 1849, and was the eldest of
five sons born to Joseph and Elizabeth Vorwick, natives of Germany. He was
schooled at Fort Madison and Burlington, Iowa, and at the latter place, when
about 16 years of age, began the trade of carriage painter, which he perfected
at Galesburg, Knox County, Illinois., some three years later. From 21 to 29
years of age, Mr. Vorwick did "jour" work through the various cities of the
country, and in 1875 planted himself at Monmouth, with the determination to man
a shop of his own by the time he should arrive at the age of 30 years. That he
succeeded has already appeared. In addition to the Vorwick Road-Cart, he
manufactures all sorts of first class carriages and buggies, and the truth
compels us to place his name in the Album as the representative man, in his
line, at the city of Monmouth.
Mr. Vorwick was
married at Monmouth, in 1876, to Miss Jennie Eilenberger, daughter of Daniel
Eilenberger, who died while a soldier in the Union Army. Mr. and Mrs. Vorwick
have two children--Ida and Maudie.
formerly a resident of Swan Township, was born in Kentucky in 1805. He came to
Illinois when he was a young man and located in the southern portion of Sangamon
County which by a later division, was set off to Christian County. He occupied
his time in farming, and, in 1834, was married to Elizabeth Vandervere, who was
born in Indiana in1815. They continued to reside in the county in which they
were married until the fall of the year succeeding. In that season they removed
to Warren County. They passed the first year in Floyd Township and then fixed
their residence in Swan Township. They bought land there and the husband erected
a log house. He lost no time in making the improvements customary in a prairie
country and the work was far advance at the time of his death. That event
occurred in August, 1844. His widow was his survivor for 28 years, her demise
occurring Aug 28, 1872. Their children numbered six and there are five still
living. Mary J. is the wife of Israel Jared and they are living in Point
Pleasant Township. Margaret A. is married to James Jared and they live in Swan
Township. John A. is a citizen of the township. William resides in the State of
Missouri. Samuel B. lives in the township where his father and mother resided.
Mrs. Kelsay was
married in 1847 to John Blue. They had three children. Cynthia is married to
Benjamin Kidder and they also reside in Swan Township. Absalom v. is a citizen
of Shenandoah, Iowa. Bailey R. lives in Nebraska. the parents were both members
of the Baptist Church.
a resident on section 15, of Spring Grove township, is a pioneer of Warren
County of 1845. He is one of the leading farmers of the township and has
reached prominence through the extensive business relations he has
established in the county. He was born November 24, 1831, in the province of
Ontario, Canada, and is the son of Wilkinson and Nancy Hurd Palmer. His
parents were born in the same portion of the country as himself. The father
was born of parents of New York Origin and those of the mother were
originally from the State of Vermont. The ancestors of the latter were
originally from Connecticut and later from New Jersey, and later still from
New York. The father of Mr. Palmer removed with his wife and children to
Whiteside Co., Ill., in 1842. Here they made their home in the vicinity of
Prophetstown until the year named as that in which their removal to Warren
County was effected. On coming to this county they located in Hale Township,
where the father rented land until 1851, when a tract of 80 acres of land
was purchased. It was wholly unbroken and the first move made was to build a
house for the accommodation of the family. It was made of logs and was
occupied for the purpose for which it was constructed three or four years.
The family then took possession of a new frame house which the father built
on the homestead. Prosperity attended him in his business relations, and he
was soon enabled to make other purchases until he became the owner of 200
acres of land, a portion of which was located in Henderson County. His death
occurred in July 1878, and that of his wife some years previous. Eight of
their 11 children are now living.
Sarah is the wife
of Jeremiah Young. They are residents of Ida Co., Iowa. Ira A. lives in
Ringgold Co., Iowa; Minard resides in the same State, in the county of
Harrison. George W. is a farmer in Hale Township. Manada A. is married to B.
C. Darrah, of Henderson Co., Iowa. Eliza lives in Pottawatomie County, in
that State. William is a resident of Otoe Co., Nebraska.
Until he became
himself the head of a family by marriage, Mr. Palmer was a member of the
household of his father and mother. His marriage to Lucy A. Mills took place
December 25, 1856. She was born in Henderson County and is the daughter of
William H. and Lucretia Morris Mills, who were early settlers in the county
where their daughter was born. William H. Mills, the father of Mrs. Palmer,
was a native of New Jersey, but when fives years of age his parents removed
to Dearborn Co., Ind., locating near Lawrenceburg, where he became a farmer,
William H. there grew to manhood, and, in 1836, married Lucretia Morris.
Three years later he moved to Henderson Co., Ill., and settled upon a farm
in Greenville Township, where they now reside. Here Mrs. Palmer was reared,
and received her education in the neighboring district school. She was born
in a log cabin two miles west of where her parents now reside. Her mother
was a native of Eastern Pennsylvania, and is of Scotch parentage. Her
mother's parents were Amos and Johanna Morris. William H. Mills' parents,
the paternal grandparents of Mrs. Palmer, were Cyrus and Nancy Mills.
About the time of
his marriage Mr. Palmer bought the northeast quarter of section 1 of Spring
Grove Township, which is now the site of that part of Alexis that is in
Warren County. It had never been cultivated in any sense, being still in its
original condition of wild prairie land. He built a house on the north line
of the county and made the first improvement on the place in the spring of
1856. This was previous to his marriage. He bought the farm in the fall
preceding. He made the usual improvements, and that place was his home and
field of operation until his removal to the farm on which he has lived since
the spring of 1867. At that time he sold the place of which he was the first
owner and has since occupied the property on sections 10 and 15. There was
already a good house on the southwest section first named and this was the
family abode until he fall of the same year in which they took possession of
it, when it was destroyed by fire. They moved to another house which had
been erected on the farm, which they occupied until 1871, when Mr. Palmer
built the frame house in which they now live and which is situated on
section 15. He has also increased the value and appearance of his estate by
building other suitable and excellent farm structures, which are without
doubt the most substantial in Spring Grove Township. and among the finest in
Warren County, Illinois. We are pleased to be able to present a view of
these on page 258. He is the owner of 400 acres of land, and in addition to
the common business of farming, is engaged in raising Durham cattle of extra
Mr. and Mrs.
Palmer have 11 children. Mary E. is the oldest. Alice J. is the wife of
Charles Gallagher, who is a resident of Ringgold Co., Iowa. Lillian married
Fred L. Gilmore, who lives on section 9, Spring Grove Township. A sketch of
the parents of Mr. Gilmore may be found on another page of this work. Effie
A. is married to Robert Armstrong, of Spring Grove Township. The younger and
unmarried children are named Henry w., Myron G., Mattie, Lura, Eva, Kate,
and George w.
Mr. Palmer is a
Democrat in his political views, and has held the office of Road
Commissioner for 17 years. Mrs. Palmer became a member of the Baptist Church
at the age of 13 years, and in 1869 Mr. Palmer also became a member of the
same Church. Three of their eldest daughters are connected with the Baptist
Church, while the next three younger are members of the Church of God.
John Wingate, a
well-known and highly respected farmer of Greenbush Township, who is
actively engaged in the cultivation of his excellent farm, was born Feb. 1,
1815, in Maine, and is the son of Edmund Wingate, a native of that
State. His father was unite din marriage with Rebecca Whitney, also a native
of Maine, and they had four children,--Hannah, Daniel, John and Lydia. John
Wingate, subject of this biographical notice, came to this state in the fall
of 1838. He was married to Miss Annis Dibble, March 5, 1844. She was born in
Chenango Co., New York, March 1, 1820. Her father, John Dibble, was a
soldier in the war of 1812. In 1819, he married Martha Brown, who was
born in New York in 1801. Of her parents' union five children, Annis,
Elizabeth, Erastus P., Laura., and Thomas, were born. Of the union of Mr.
and Mrs. Wingate of this notice five children have been born, namely: John
J. (deceased), Ann Eliza (deceased), Arthur L., Ella, and Eva.
Mr. Wingate, with
his wife and children, are pleasantly situated on their fine farm of 250
acres, all of which is under an advanced state of cultivation. He has held
the offices of Justice of the Peace, Township Clerk, Assessor and Treasurer
of the School Board for 39 years. In Politics he votes with the
Democratic party. What he has of this world's goods, he has accumulated with
his own strong hands and the active co-operation of his good help-meet, and
is passing the sunset of his life in peace and quiet at this pleasant home
on section 20, Greenbush Township, Warren County, Illinois.
Graham, M. D.
Graham, M. D., a medical practitioner at Littler York, was born in the
township of Hale, in Warren County, August 24, 1854. His parents are
pioneers of the township where he was born, and are John R. and Mary Rodgers
obtained a good common-school education as a foundation, in his boyhood, and
afterwards attended Monmouth Academy one year. In 1878, he commenced the
study of medicine under the preceptor-ship of the medical firm of Hamilton,
Marshall & Holliday, at Monmouth. After leaving their office, he
matriculated at Rush Medical College in Chicago, and took his degree as M.
D. at that institution in 1881.
his career as physician and surgeon at Cameron, in his native county, and
operated there two years. Since 1883, he has prosecuted the business of his
profession at Little York. He is building up a popular and prosperous
practice, and his thorough preparation for the responsibilities of the
calling to which he has devoted his life, is fast winning for him the
confidence of a substantial patronage.
belief and relations, Dr. Graham is a Democrat.
The marriage of
Dr. Graham to Miss Emma Alcock was celebrated Feb 14, 1880. They have one
child, named Frederick. The mother was born in Suffolkshire, England. The
Doctor and his wife are members of the United Presbyterian Church.
Mr. M. B. Ray,
one of the large landowners of Lenox Township, a gentleman of more than
ordinary executive ability and a successful farmer, residing on section 26,
Lenox Twp., is the son of Garland and Sarah Lee Ray, both natives of
His parents came to this county in 1835, and will consequently take rank
among it is pioneer settlers. They located in Roseville Township, where they
continued to reside for about a year, when they removed to Lenox Township,
where they lived until their death, the decease of Mr. Ray's, mother taking
place Feb 24, 1868, and that of his father April 12, 1881. Their children
were ten in number, namely: Amelia A., Harriet E., Henrietta M., James W.,
M. B., Eletha, Clarinda J., Julia A., Susan A., and Nancy Elizabeth.
The gentleman whose name stands at the head of this notice was born in
Edmonson Co., KY., Feb. 06, 1828, and had reached the age of nine years when
he came with his parents to this county, where he has continued to reside
until the present time. Mr. Ray may be said to have followed the vocation of
an agriculturist from childhood, as he was brought up to that occupation and
has made it the pursuit of his life. He is at present
owner of over 1,200 acres in this county, all of which, with the he
exception of 30 acres of timberland, is under an advanced state of
cultivation, and with the exception of 210 acres in Roseville Twp., is all
situated in Lenox Township. He keeps upon his home farm, which comprises of
500 acres, about 100 head of cattle, 20 head of horses and colts, and
fattens about 100 head of hogs annually. What of this world's goods he
possess, and the same , as will be readily seen is not small, has been
accumulated through his own indomitable energy, pluck and good judgment.
The marriage of Mr. Ray, which occurred in Lenox Township, Sept. 05, 1850,
when Miss Nancy C. Ray became his wife, has been blessed by the birth of ten
children. Mrs. Ray is the daughter of John and Sarah Ray, natives of
Kentucky. Their children are Richard H. Emeline, Laura J., Letitia, John L.,
Theodosia, Mary, Hiram, Hattie and Martha. Martha is deceased; Richard
resides in Lenox Township; Emeline is the wife of Tilford Rice and resides
in Lenox Township; Laura J. married John Chapman, who resides in Iowa;
Letitia became the wife of William Ken, also a resident of Iowa; John L.
lives in Lenox Township; Theodosia married William Parrish, also a resident
of Lenox Township; Mary was untied in marriage with Theo. C. Alexander, who
is a farmer in Lenox Township; Hiram is also residing in Lenox Township;
Hattie became the wife of Martin Landon, who is a farmer in Berwick
Mr. Ray has held the office of Highway Commissioner and Overseer of
Highways. In politics, he cast his vote with the Democrat party. Himself and
wife both belong to the Missionary Baptist Church.
We present a fine view of Mr. Ray's substantial homestead on page #368.
John Miles, deceased, was a pioneer of Kelly Township of 1830, being one of
the first to located in that township. He made his claim on section 25. He
was more fortunate than many of the pioneers in that he possessed both oxen
and horses, and after building his cabin of logs he proceeded to the work of
improving his claim. During the first year he broke quite a quantity of
land, and succeeded in raising a good crop of corn and a fair quantity of
vegetables. When the Black Hawk War broke out, he joined the “Regulators.”
For the services he rendered in that decisive conflict, the Government of
the United States gave him a patent of 160 acres of land.
Mr. Miles was born in Hardin Co., KY., October 2, 1794. His parents removed
to Harrison Co., Ind., when he was 12 years of age, and there he passed the
remaining years of his youth. On attaining to the age of manhood, he studied
law, and was admitted to the Bar of Indiana, at Corydon in Harrison County.
He went to New Albany, in Floyd County, and opened his career as an attorney
there, where he remained and engaged in his profession until 1829. He came
then to Illinois and passed the first winter in that part of Sangamon County
which now belongs to the County of Menard. He remained there until the
spring of 1830, when he came to Warren County as has been stated.
After the termination of the hostilities of the Black Hawk War, he was at
once admitted to the Bar of his adopted State and practiced law to a limited
extent, at the same time giving his attention to the improvement of his
land. He was prominent in local affairs from the first, and was elected the
first Justice of the Peace in the part of the county where he resided. He
was the first Supervisor of the township. He was active and energetic, and
always accomplished a great amount of other business while improving a large
farm and erecting a good set of frame buildings thereon. He died May 23,
In 1822, Mr. Miles was married to Sarah Froman. She was born January 21,
1800, in Indiana. Their children numbered 12 and nine of them are now
living. Harriet married Samuel Brown, and they located in Vancouver,
Washington Territory. Mary is the wife of J. I. Myers, a citizen of
Marshall, Ill., Evaline is the widow of George Weir, a resident of Bourbon
Co., Kan. Henry C. is a farmer and business man of the township of Cold
Brook: a full account of his connection with the development of this part of
the State is given (Below) on other pages of this volume. Joseph W. and
Fielding are residents of Willes, Kan. James F. Lives in Brunson in that
State. John J. is an attorney-at-law in Ashland, Wis. Sarah J. is the wife
of Theodore F. Bullman, who is the manager of the Miles homestead ( See
Sketch. Is below also.) Their mother died June 14, 1855. Buried in
Miles Cemetery, Kelly Township, Warren, County,
IL. Abandoned Cemetery back in the woods from Hope
HENRY C. MILES
Henry C. Miles represents one of the most important industries of Warren
County. He is a brick and tile manufacturer and is located on section 1, in
the township of Cold Brook. He is also interested in the manufacture of
lumber and is the owner of a saw-mill.
He was born in Kelly Township, July 6, 1832, and is the son of John and
Sarah Froman Miles. He is as member of one of the earliest of the pioneer
families of the county in which he has passed most of his life. After he had
spent about the allotted time at school and had worked on the farm until
about 17 years old, he commenced to learn the trade of a carpenter. He
operated for a short period as a journeyman, and afterward commenced to act
in the capacity of an independent builder and contractor and has since
managed his business as a craftsman in those departments, to which he has
also added bridge building.
In 1858, Mr. Miles bought the Ferris steam-mill in Henderson Knox County,
and was engaged in its management until 1862. The civil war interfered with
his business and he took up arms in the defense of the union. IN August of
the second year of the war he enlisted in Co., B, 102d Ill. Vol. Inf., and
after a service of six months was discharged for disability. He returned to
his home, resumed his former business and continued to conduct the affairs
of the mill for four years, when it was burned. He immediately rebuilt the
structure and continued to conduct it for a period of two years. Then the
boiler exploded and blew the mill to pieces, killing two men. The pecuniary
loss to Mr. Miles was $3,00. He then turned his attention exclusively to the
business of a contractor and builder, in which he was occupied two years,
after which he bought a quarter interest in the steam-mill in Kelly
Township, and in which he is at present interested in connection with other
business. For the first six years he had a partner, but at the end of that
time he became by purchase the sole owner and has since operated singly. He
added the tile and brick business in 1882, and is prospering in the several
industries in which he is interested. The clay beds are situated about two
miles from the factory.
Miss Harriet T. Rogers became the wife of Mr. Miles in September, 1854.
After their marriage they located in Galesburg, and after a residence there
of two years went to Brown Co., Kas., and pre-empted a claim of land, on
which they resided six months.
At their expiration of that time they returned to Henderson, which was their
place of abode until 1882, when they removed to section 1, in Cold Brook
Township. The farm of Mr. Miles contains 120 acres and is in thorough, good
condition for prosperous farming. He is also proprietor of 160 acres of land
in Kelly Township, situated on section 24, and has a tract, which includes
20 acres on section 25, of the same township. The farms are under the manage
of his sons. The household comprises seven children—John H., Eddie H., Frank
G., George C., Willie, Theodore and Helen. Mrs. Miles is a native of New
York. Mr. Miles is a Republican. Foxie's Note: Buried
Hope Cemetery, Kelly Township, Warren Co., IL Foxie's Note
THEODORE F. BULLMAN
Theodore F. Bullman is a farmer in the township of Kelly. He is a native
citizen of the State of Illinois, where his father settled in 1830. Joshua
D. Bullman, his father, was born in Somerset Co., NJ, February 21, 1806, and
was a resident ion the county where he first saw the light of day until the
fall of 1829. He then went to Indiana and stopped on season in Fayette Co.
He was accompanied there by two sisters and a brother-in-law. They started
from their home in New Jersey with covered wagons and traversed the entire
distance across the intervening country. In the fall of 1830 Mr. Bullman
left his relatives in Indiana to seek a home in the Prairie State. He set
out alone, on horseback, and came to Marshall County. He made a claim in
what is now Hopewell Township, in the county, and returned to Indiana to
pass the winter. In the spring following he set forth a second time, with
the same party with whom he left the State of his nativity and came to
Marshall County. They built a log house near Lacon, two miles from the
Illinois River, on the east side, in which they passed a year together. Then
each of the two men of the party erected his house on his own property. When
the Black Hawk War engaged the attention of all there was of the Western
Country, Mr. Bullman volunteered and was in the military service until the
declaration of peace. He received as recompense a barrel of flour and other
supplies. After returning to a life of peace and safety from Indian
invasion, Mr. Bullman set himself to work in the earnest to improve a farm.
He is till the owner of the land he received from the Government, and also
of an additional amount, which has increased his possessions to 400 acres.
He has also assisted all his children to obtain good farms. His homestead is
supplies with good and suitable farm buildings. He is in his 80th year.
In the year in which he left New Jersey he was married to Catherine F. Hall,
of the same county where he was himself born. Of their six children, five
are still living. Hetty M. is married to S.R. Lane, of Marshall Co., Ill.;
Theodore F. and Mortimer C. are living on the homestead, in Marshall County;
Clementine is the widow of Hirman Smith, and lives in Marshall County;
Theresa also lives with her father.
Mr. Bullman, Theodore F., of this sketch passed the years of his youth and
boyhood in his native county. He was born n Marshall Co., Ill., December 9,
1836. He was brought up a farmer, and was educated in the common schools and
in the high school at Lacon. He was married in Warren County, February 3,
1863, to Sarah J. Miles. She was born in Kelly Township and is the daughter
of John and Sarah Froman Miles, of who a sketch is given elsewhere, and also
of her brother, H.C. Miles, of Cold Brook Township. Mrs. Bullman has been
carefully educated and is a graduate of Lombard University, at Galesburg.
For some years she operated as a teacher in the schools of Knox, Marshall
and Warren Counties. At the time of his marriage, Mr. Bullman located on a
farm in the township of Hopewell, which was given him by his father. He and
his wife were its occupants six years, and in 1875 they came to the Miles
homestead, which he now owns and occupies. The farm contains 283 acres in
advanced cultivation. Jushua J. is the name of the only child of Mr. and
Mrs. Bullman. The father is a member of the Presbyterian Church, the mother
adheres to the belief of the Universalists. When the Senior Bullman settled
in Marshall county he was accustomed to haul his crops to Chicago with teams
of oxen and sometimes he sold his wheat for 30 cents a bushel. He assisted
in raising the first mill in the county.
Buried Hope Cemetery, Kelly Township, Warren Co., IL
Franklin Booth, located on section 18, Swan Township, where he resides and is
actively engaged in its cultivation and improvement which has been the vocation
of his life, was born in Cabell Co., Va., Nov. 7, 1829, and is a son of Ferguson
Booth, deceased, who was born in Virginia, Oct. 10, 1799. The father came to
this State in March, 1836, and located to Knox County; remained there for a
time, then moved to this county, where he died, Feb. 14, 1876. He was married to
Miss Lucinda Perdue in 1819. She was born in 1804 in Virginia, and still
survives, residing in this county. Of the parents' union, these children were
born : Sarah J., Burwell, Franklin, Russell, Morris, James W., Leander and Mary
A. Marinda was drowned when four years of age while wading across a stream in
Virginia. She became bewildered, and falling was unable to recover herself, and
was thus drowned. Sarah J., wife of Stephen Spurlock, died leaving eight
children; William Lewis, the eldest child, died in his infancy.
Franklin Booth, the subject of this biographical notice, was married to Miss
Martha Sargent, March 23, 1854, at Monmouth Ill. She was born April 3, 1836, in
Jacksonville, Morgan County, this State and is a daughter of John Sargent, born
in Ohio, Dec. 15, 1801. Her father came to this State in 1822, and participated
in the Black Hawk War. His wife, Mary (Johnson) Sargent, to whom he was married
in 1827, was born in 1809, and died in 1838, her husband surviving her until
Sept. 24, 1884. Of their union nine children were born, Elizabeth, Mary A.,
Sarah, Martha J., Lorinda, Eveline, Thomas B., Tobitha and Mary L.
Mr. and Mrs. Booth are the parents of seven children, namely: James W., born
July 2, 1857 ; Ira S., Jan. 20, 1858; Henry T., March 8, 1859; Nellie, June 23,
1863 ; Allen C. Sept. 27, 1865 ; Nola E., Feb. 20 1868; Annie M., July 19,
1873.Two of the above named are deceased, James and Nellie, the former dying May
17, 1858, and the latter June 3, 1864. Ira S. married Ada Cooper, and resides in
Swan Township. All are at home except Ira S. and Henry T. The latter is farming
in Swan Township. Mr. Booth and family are pleasantly situated on their
magnificent farm of 375 acres, located on section 18 Swan Township. He owns his
land and has the same under an advanced state of cultivation, and since coming
to the county, in 1852, he has devoted his time and attention to its
cultivation. In addition to the cultivation of his land, he is to no small
extent interesting himself in the breeding of Short-horn cattle, and fattens
stock for the purpose of shipping.
Mr. and Mrs. Booth are consistent members of the Methodist Episcopal Church. In
politics, Mr. Booth is, and has been all his life, a Republican
Squire Jenkins Buzan.
S. J. Buzan was born in La Rue county, Kentucky, September 21, 1829. La Rue
county was named after Jacob La Rue, who was a grandfather of S. J. Buzan.
Mr. Buzan came with his parents to Monmouth, Illinois, in 1831. In 1843, he went
to Macomb, Illinois, where he was engaged as clerk or salesman in the store of
N. P. Tinsley until the fall of 1849, when he came to Greenbush and commenced
business for himself, running a general store the most of the time up to 1862,
when he went west and settled in Missouri. He was married to Mary E. Walker,
August 4, 1854. She was born September 25, 1834, and was a daughter of Abner and
Jane (Damron) Walker who kept hotel in Greenbush for many years. To Mr. Buzan
and wife the following-named children were born:
Harry Arthur, born September 4, 1856; died February 27, 1879.
Eva, born March 10, 1860; married Galen B. Anderson, November 12, 1884. She died
February 12, 1885.
Chauncey, born June 27, 1862.
Nellie, born September 1, 1866; married Charles E. Spooner, October 8, 1902.
Frank, born October 6, 1870.
Pearl, born October 11, 1873; married Frederic W. Kaster, February 10, 1894.
In politics Mr. Buzan was a republican. He died at St. Joseph, Missouri, June
biographies below were typed by daughter Kate... Thanks so much Darling. Kate
helps me out when ever she can with typing on both web sites and scouring
cemeteries to find the tombstones of persons we might be searching for. She's
great... Thanks my little Darling...
J. K. Cummings
Among the early settlers of Warren County, having come here in the year 1847, is
Mr. Jacob Shawler, an energetic, prosperous and representative citizen of this
county, where, on section 12, Lenox Township, he is engaged extensively in
agricultural pursuits. The date of his birth is Dec.16,1826, and he is a native
of Edmondson Co., Ky. James B. and Eva (Duvall) Shawler, his parents, were
natives of Kentucky, where his mother died. To them five children were born, all
of whom reached the age of maturity. All are now deceased except Jacob and one
sister. His father afterward removed to Warren County and settled in Floyd
Township, having re-married before he left Kentucky. His second union was
blessed with a family of 11 children, six of whom are now living. He
subsequently removed to Swan Township, where he died.
Jacob was the second of a family of five children, and came to this county in
the autumn of 1847. For three years he made his home in Floyd Township, when he
sold his property there and moved into Lenox Township, where he has since
remained and is one of the most highly respected and influential men in the
township. In his business enterprises he has experienced an unusual degree of
prosperity, and today owns 500 acres of land in Warren County and 200 acres in
Kansas. He has erected upon the home farm an excellent class of buildings
specially adapted to agricultural pursuits. The barn is a very commodious
structure and a model building of its kind.
On March 1,1852, after Mr. Shawler had moved into Lenox Township, he was married
there to Julia A. Ray, who was also a native of Kentucky, where she was born
June 30,1833. Five sons have risen to bless their home, all of whom are living.
Thompson B., married, resides in Lenox Township; John O. and Algernon S. H. live
in Swan Township; Philemon and Jesse are with their parents. Both Mr. and Mrs.
S. are members of the Baptist Church at Union. In his political belief, Mr. S.
is a holder of independent views.
Our subject now ranks among the large stock raisers and feeders of the township.
When he first settled in this county he could claim but little of this world’s
goods, and he is able to point with pride to his present possessions as the
result of well applied industry and sound judgment. He today enjoys a very
comfortable competence and is properly recognized as one of the public-spirited
citizens of the community. A view of his elegant and commodious homestead is one
of our pictorial features, and will be found on page 320.
Retired from a life of mercantile pursuits, and spending the closing years of
his life in peace and quiet at Kirkwood, is a native of Scotland, having been
born in that country July 4,1813. The parents of Mr. Cummings, Israel W. and
Susanna (Kerr) Cummings, were natives of Massachusetts and Scotland
respectively. The father was a sailor in his younger years, and from his native
country he went to Scotland, where he was married and where the subject of this
notice was born. In 1828, the father with his family came to the United States,
and for a time resided in the father’s native State, Massachusetts. He then
moved his family to Maine, where for ten years he was engaged in farming. In
1837, the father sold his landed possessions in the latter State and with his
family came to this State, locating in Fulton County, where the father purchased
192 acres of land. He moved on the land with his family and at once engaged in
the laborious task of improving it, by cultivation, the erection of a residence,
the setting out of trees, etc., and there continued to reside until his death,
which event took place in 1854.
The gentleman whose name we give at the beginning of this biographical notice,
was an inmate of the parental household until he attained the age of 20 years,
having received a fair education in the district schools. At this a fair
education in the district schools. At this age in life he engaged to learn the
carpenter’s trade, at which he served apprenticeship of three years, fully and
completely mastering the same, after which he followed his trade in Fulton
County from 1838 to 1856, a period of 18 years.
Mr. Cummings came to Warren County in 1855 and in 1856 moved to Kirkwood. In
1859, he engaged in the grocery business at that place, and was thus occupied
for 12 years. He then sold out and began the hardware business and followed that
for five years, when, in 1878, he sold the same, and since that time has lived a
life of comparative retirement, doing nothing except a little insurance
business. He is the proprietor of a farm of 162 acres, one mile and a half from
Kirkwood, and is enjoying the comforts, which a life of business activity
coupled with energy has acquired.
In 1836, Mr. Cummings married Miss Mary Eveleth in Kennebec Co., Maine, she
being the daughter of Joseph and Eunice (Jennings) Eveleth, four children being
the result of this union, --Susan Jane and James H., Melissa E. and Eunice A.,
who are deceased. Mrs. C. died in the year of 1878. Mr. Cummings again formed a
matrimonial alliance with Miss Eliza Bowen in 1879, a native of Ohio.
In politics, Mr. Cummings votes with the Republican party. He has held the
offices of Assessor and Collector of Tompkins Township, and is one of the
honored and respected citizens of Warren County.
Farmer on section 13, of Lenox Township, is a son of Isaac and Phebe D. (Corgill)
Van Tasell. James W. was born in Kendall Co., Ill., Nov. 6,1855. He
received a good common-school education and has all his life been engaged
in agricultural pursuits. He was about four years of age when his parents
came to Warren County. His marriage occurred in Lenox Township, Sept.
9,1880, Catherine Ball. She is the daughter of Frederick and Elizabeth (Wurgler)
Ball, natives of Germany. The family emigrated to Canada, where the
father died. His widow survives. Mrs. Van Tasell was the third of a
family of five children born to them. She was born in Canada, April
4,1859. Mr. and Mrs. Van Tasell are the parents of one child, Loui I. Mr.
Van Tasell in political affairs is a Republican.
PORTRAIT AND BIOGRAPHICAL ALBUM OF WARREN COUNTY, IL
PUBLISHED 1889 BY Chapman BROS.
it's on page 206
Warren B. Jenks, the owner and manager of 100 acres of excellent improved land and 16 acres of timber, residing section 26 of Lenox Township, is the son of
Erastus and Polly F. (Wilbur) Jenks, natives of the Empire State. They were married and settled in Warren County, where, in Lenox Township, they have since made their home. Their family consists of five children,---Alice, Warren B. Ann H., Gertie, and Flora G. Gertie is deceased.
Warren B. Jenks, of whom we write, was born in Lenox Township on the 19th day of September, 1846, and received a fair English education and has always made this his place of residence. When a young man he had accumulated sufficient of his earnings to procure a good farm of 100 acres, which opportunity he took advantage of, and now is the proprietor of as nice a farm as there is in his township the appearance of the same presents that thrift and hard labor characteristic of our subject, and his farm is now cultivated to a high degree, with a find residence and all the necessary and suitable farm buildings erected thereon.
Mr. Jenks was married on the 7th of February, 1875, to Miss Lucy, daughter of Asa Capps (see sketch of F. L. Capps.) Their ceremony was performed in Lenox Township. Mrs. Jenks was born there, October 15, 1855. Of this union were born four children, ---Mabel L.., Wilber B. Edna F. , and Chester G. Mr. Jenks has served his township as School Director, besides having held other minor offices, and with his wife is a member of the Baptist Church. In Political opinion he is identified with the
Past and Present of Warren County, IL, published in 1877:
on Pages 131 and 132
W. B. Jenks is first listed as being of the School Commissioners and ex-officio superintendents with a list of others. He was in this office before 1865 when the Law changed and by act of the Legislature of 1865, Sec. 11 of the school law was so amended that the office of school commissioner terminated, and created the office of County Superintendent.
on the next page 132
In 1854 W. B. Jenks was teaching a flourishing private school in the Presbyterian church, and Miss Julia Madden another in the Christian Church.
On page 147 under The Schools
I'm going to put the whole paragraph so you will understand it better basement of the Presbyterian Church and the Christian Church were rented and occupied. this occurred about the year 1852 or'3. The schools were under the control of the town and city councils, but no active part seems to have been taken by either board until the year 1855, when at the meeting of the city council, in June, it was ordered that the sum of $2,500 be appropriated to erect the East Ward school house. This same autumn school was opened in the school house already in use, in the Christian church, and in the basement of the Presbyterian Church. The council employed Mr,. W. B. Jenks to occupy the school house, (East Ward), who was to receive as compensation for his services three dollars per scholar in all common branches, and four dollars from each of those who pursued the higher studies. They employed Mr. A. H. Tracy for the Christian Church at the same terms.
On page 159 under City Government
1856 W. B. Jenks, City Clerk
1858 W. B. Jenks, City Clerk
on page 297 Lenox Twp.
Jenks E. farmer; Sec. 23 P) Berwick; rep; Bapt; 80 acres, value $5,000.
Jenks, W. B. Farmer; sec. 23; P. O. Monmouth; born in IL September 19, 1846; came to this Co. in 1846; Rep; Bapt. married to Miss Carrie Capps, February 7, 1875.
Then don't know if this one is related or not.
Jenks, C. O. Farmer and stock Raiser; Sec. 23; P.O. Berwick; born in IL, October 16, 1853; came to this Co. in 1853; Rep; Bapt; 150 acres, value $9, 000; was married to Miss Amanda Smith, of Iowa, September 02, 1875.
Then also on page 199 under First Cavalry--Recruits.
Jenks J. K. enlisted March 01, 1862 mustered out July 14, 1862
MALE MARRIAGE INDEX WARREN COUNTY, ILLINOIS
Jenks, Erastus married Wilbur, Eliza F. on January 02, 1843
Jenks, Willet B. married Gregg, Emma C. on January 04, 1853
Jenks, Warren B. married Capps, Carrie on February 07, 1875
Jenks, James G. married Thompson, Hannah E. on October 29,1879
Jenks, Wilbur B. married Ralston, Effie V. April 21, 1904