You may click on the thumbnails for a much bigger photo

Major John C. Bond

middle name is


Ruby Crawford Bond

Sister to Major John C. Bond

contributed by John Gaines

Jesse Looney
husband to
Ruby Crawford Bond
contributed by John Gaines

Warren Co Home ] Armstrong's ] Bond Family ] Gloria's Vandeberg ] Hull & Gibb ] Ira Meyer's ] Smith's ] Family Photos ]

This bio on Major John C. Bond is out of the Early Days of Greenbush.

JOHN C. BOND. click here for Bond Info

    John C. Bond was born in Knox county, Tennessee, December 25, 1799. He was married to Miss Polly Grimsley in 1818. To them were born five children, namely: Susana, who was born August 10, 1819; married Walter Johnson, November 25, 1836. This was the second marriage in Greenbush township. The ceremony was performed by Moses T. Hand, justice of the peace. Walter Johnson died December 13, 1876. Susana died at the residence of her daughter Arvie Clayton in Youngstown, Illinois, December 26, 1902.

    William G., born in April, 1823; married Mrs. Elizabeth Henry, January 25, 1844. She died December 22, 1864, at the age of 45 years. William G. Bond enlisted in the army in the war for the union in 1862; in August of that year was mustered in as captain of Co. H, 83rd regiment Illinois Infantry; and was promoted in 1863 to the office of major, which office he held until he was mustered out in 1865. In December, 1874, he was appointed deputy sheriff of Warren county, Illinois; he filled this position for two years and was then elected sheriff three times in succession, closing his services as sheriff in 1882.

    His last marriage was to Mrs. Mary E. Moore (nee Taylor). This marriage occurred at Dayton, Ohio, in 1868. He died February 8, 1892.

    Jesse Walton was born in Jackson county, Alabama, September 7, 1825; was married in Swan township, Warren county, Illinois, February 12, 1848, to Sarah E. Terry. She was born near Belleville in St. Clair county, Illinois, and was a daughter of Andrew and Nancy G. (Stice) Terry. She died in Sacramento county, California, January 28, 1854. Jesse W. Bond’s second marriage was to Mrs. Anna C. Smith, October 25, 1863. Her maiden name was Anna C. Harrah, She was born in Belmont county, Ohio, February 25, 1835, and was a daughter of John N. and Helen (Wharton) Harrah, and sister of Charles A. Harrah, dealer in farm implements at Bushnell, Illinois. In 1850, Jesse W. Bond crossed the plains to California in search of gold. After remaining there two years, he returned. He afterwards made two more trips to the land of gold where he remained until 1862, when he came back to Warren county, Ill. He died at Monmouth, Illinois, April 25, 1905.

    Ruby L., born June 30, 1827, in Morgan county, Illinois; was married three times. Her first husband was Andrew Stice, who died in 1848; her second marriage was to Henry Burson; her last marriage was to Andrew J. Cayton, February 15, 1873. She was badly bruised and injured in a wind-storm that occurred in Swan township, May 22, 1873. However, she fully recovered from this, except the bones that were broken in her arm never knit together. She died June 26, 1901.

    Anna, who died in infancy.

    Major John C. Bond’s first wife died about the year 1828, in Morgan county, Illinois. His second marriage was to Miss Mary Singleton of Morgan county, in May, 1829. To them were born three children-Fielding, Mary, and Evaline-all of whom are deceased. Fielding was a brilliant young man who graduated from Lombard University at Galesburg, Illinois, with honors, in 1857, and was shortly afterwards admitted to the bar.

    He went to Texas and commenced the practice of law. When the war broke out he returned to his father’s house in Greenbush. He was elected county superintendent of schools in Warren county, in 1861. He died April 16, 1862, at the age of 28 years.

    Evaline married Joseph Hartford. She died in Neosha county, Kansas, in 1871.

    Mary, wife of John C. Bond, died September 1, 1842, at the age of 32 years. She was a woman highly esteemed by those who knew her. One night during her last days, she had a dream in which the words of this text came to her: “Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do it with thy might.” This dream so disturbed her that she arose from her bed, rekindled the fire in the fireplace to make a light, procured her Bible and read from Ec. 9, 10:

    “Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do it with thy might; for there is no work, nor device, nor knowledge, nor wisdom, in the grave, whither thou goest.’’ She closed her Bible and returned to bed, and again dreamed of the same text. Rev. Peter Downey was called to see her, and by her request he administered baptism. After her death he was called to preach her funeral which he did, using the same text.

    Major John C. Bond’s third marriage was to Mrs. Nancy C. Terry. Her maiden name was Nancy G. Stice. This marriage occurred in January, 1844. Two children were born of this union:

    Canzada S., wife of Mathew Campbell, now residing in Oklahoma; and Cordelia, the wife of Henry Staat, now residing in Berwick township, Warren county, Illinois.

    Mrs. Nancy Green Bond was born in Warren county, Kentucky, September 23, 1807. She was a daughter of Andrew and Nancy (Wilson) Stice. Andrew Stice was born in 1768, and died October 18, 1818. They were married in 1789. Mrs. Bond’s grandfather, Andrew Stice was married to Katran Collins, in Germany, and emigrated to North Carolina before the Revolutionary war. Mrs. Bond’s grandfather Wilson and wife came from Scotland before the Revolutionary war and settled in North Carolina. He was a captain in the Revolutionary war and fought at the battle of Bunker Hill; was wounded in the right knee and made a cripple for life. His brother, James Wilson, was one of the signers of the Declaration of Independence.

    Mrs. Nancy G. Bond’s first marriage was to Andrew Terry, May 10, 1827. He died June 28, 1836. To them were born four children: George, Sarah, Minta, and one dying in infancy.

Mrs. Bond has been blind for over twenty years. She now resides with her daughter, Cordelia Staat.

    Major John C. Bond, the subject of this sketch, was a son of Jesse W. and Susanna (Crane) Bond, who were married in Overton county, Tennessee, in 1798. She was born in Georgia, in 1777. Of this union, seven children were born: John Crane, Benjamin, Joel, Ruby, William Barnet, Jesse W., and Nathan.

    Jesse W. Bond, the father of Major John C. Bond, moved to Jackson county, Alabama, in 1819; from there he went to Morgan county, Illinois; and in 1834, came to Warren county, Illinois, and settled on section 18 in Greenbush township, and resided here until his death, which occurred February 26, 1840, at the age of 65 years. His wife was blind for many years before her death. She died January 7, 1859, at the age of 85 years.

    Major John C. Bond was commissioner in Warren county in an early day, and was appointed with Samuel Hallam and Robert Gilmore to divide the county into townships, which they did in 1853. In 1854, when township organization was adopted, he was elected supervisor in Greenbush township and served in that capacity for fourteen successive years. He was elected justice of the peace in 1835, and held his first court in a smoke-house. He married the first couple in the township-Moses T. Hand to Mrs. Elizabeth Crawford- December 23, 1835. Mr. Bond was assessor in Greenbush township for several years. He received his title as major in the militia, and was Major in Col. John Butler’s regiment. He was also a soldier in the Black Hawk war. He purchased from the other heirs the old homestead entered by his father on section 18, where he spent his last years. His hearing was very defective for several years before his death, which occurred May 20, 1882. His funeral services were held in the Methodist church in Greenbush, on Sunday afternoon, May 21, 1882, and were conducted by Eld. Isaac N. Van Meter, a minister of the Old-School Baptist church. John C. Bond belonged to the Masonic Fraternity and was a member of the Christian church. In politics he was a democrat.


 PUBLISHED 1889 BY Chapman BROS.

Back to History Book Index

    Major John C. Bond, for nearly half a century one of the most prominent and valued citizens of Warren County, , was born in Knox County, Tennessee, December 25, 1799.  Here he was reared and educated and, in 1818, married to Miss Polly Grimsley, of the same county, To them were born five children--Susannah Johnson, widow of Walter Johnson, deceased; W. G. Bond, ex-Sheriff of this county; Jesse W. Bond, a prominent citizen of Lenox Township; Ruby L. Cayton, wife of A. J. Cayton, of Swan Township; and Anna Bond, all of who are living except the latter, who died when quite young.  Sketches of the former may be found elsewhere in this volume.

    Major Bond removed from Tennessee to Alabama, and from there to Morgan County this State, in 1826, in which county his wife died.  In May, 1829, he was married the second time, to Miss Mary Singleton, of Morgan county, and by her had three children--Fielding, Mary and Eveline, all of whom are deceased.  Fielding was elected school commissioner of Warren County in 1861 or 1862, but died shortly after his election.  He was a young man of brilliant promise; graduated from Lombard University with honors in 1857; shortly after was admitted to the Bar, but died April 19, 1862, when only 28 years of age.  Mrs. Bond died in September, 1842, and in January, 1844, Major Bond was married to Mrs. Nancy Terry, by whom he had two children--Canzada S., the wife of Mathew Campbell, of Stella, Nebraska; and Cordelia, the wife of Henry Staat, of Berwick Township. ( see sketch)  Major Bond was the father of ten children, six of whom survived him, and all of whom were present at his funeral.  He lived to behold his fourth generation of children.  His funeral services were held in Methodist Episcopal Church, at Greenbush, Sunday afternoon, May 21, 1882, and were conducted by Elder Van Meter, a well known minister of the Regular Baptist Church, of McDonough County.  It was attended by an immense concourse of old settlers from the south part of the county, who knew the venerable and esteemed man so long, so intimately and so swell.  he was buried in the graveyard laid out by his father on the old home farm many long years ago.

    Major Bond played an important part in the early history of Warren County.  He was one of the Commissioners of the county in 1839, when the affairs of the county were conducted by three men, and in 1853, together with Samuel Hallam and Robert Gilmore, was appointed to divide the county into Townships, which they did as they now exist.  After the adoption of the township organization system, he was the first Supervisor elected from Greenbush, and served for 14 successive years, and until he became so deaf and bending with age he asked his fellow citizens of Greenbush to relieve him of further discharge of his arduous duties.  He served the county on the Board long and well, and his judgment and excellent good sense, as well as public spirit, pervaded the affairs of the county for many years.  He was the first Justice of the Peace in the South part of the county, to which position he was elected in 1835, and appointed his own constable to conduct his court and serve his papers.  His first court was held in a smoke-house, and the trial was over a steer belonging to some Indianaian.  Being his first term the occasion an important one, he ordered his sons to clean out the smoke-house, and set the "court-room" in order.  While carrying out the order, they performed some tricks not proper to docket, for which the squire fined them "for contempt of court," and they paid the penalty.

    In 1844, Major Bond was candidate for the legislature, and was beaten by only three votes.  He was Assessor for his township for a number of years.  In 1828, he went to Galena and worked in the lead mines.  he passed through this county on his way and camped for the first time in the edge of the timer two miles west of what became his own home.  At that time, as he surveyed the broad, open prairie, that stretched out for miles before him, he was enraptured with he high rolling mound where the old homestead now stands.  he remarked to his companion that "there was where he would settle."

    He received his title as major under the old militia Law of Illinois, and was, Major of the regiment of this section of the country, of which John Butler, deceased, of Green Bush, was Colonel.  In 1834, Major Bond settled on the old homestead where he died.  The land was entered by his father, and after his death Major Bond purchased from the other heirs their interest in the farm.

    As a neighbor and friend, he was the most genial and companionable man, and just as true as the needle to the pole.  His integrity was as unbending as the oak, and no man more heartily despised a dishonorable action than he.  His heart and purse were ever open to the needy, unfortunate and oppressed, and no one was ever turned hungry from his door.  His home and its hospitalities were often shared by the early settlers who sought locations in this county, and they never forgot the genuine friendship they received from John C. Bond, and many are the silent tears that will be shed to his memory by those who bore the trials and vicissitudes of the years long gone by in the settlement of the county.  Having well and faithfully performed the task set before him, and more than filled out the measure of his four score years with a firm and abiding faith in the mercies of a true and just God, he peacefully closed his eyes and rests from the long journey of life.  Thus, on the 20th day of May, 1882, passed away John C. Bond, as good and true a man as ever resided in Warren County, leaving to his descendants a priceless heritage--a spotless name.  His widow is still living and now resides with her daughter, Mrs. Campbell, at Stella, Nebraska.  His grandson, J. C. Bond, lives on the old farm in Greenbush.

    We are pleased to present the portrait of Mayor Bond in connection with sketch.

Orbit from local paper:

    Major John C. Bond, died at his home in Greenbush township May 20, 1882, at the age of 83 years.  He was born in Knox County, Tenn., December 25, 1799, the son of Jesse W. Bond Sr., and came to Warren county with his father, we believe in 1832.  He was always prominent in the affairs of the county as well as of the township where he made his home.  He was a county commissioner from 1838-1842, and a member of the board of supervisors for several years.  He was also the first justice of the peace for the southern part of the county, and as such preformed the first marriage ceremony in Greenbush township.  It is said he held his first court as justice in his smoke-house.  He received his title as major in the militia while serving in Col. John Butler's regiment.  He was also a soldier in the Black Hawk WarMajor Bond was married three times.  he was the father of eight children, six of whom survived him, as well as thirty grand children, thirty-six great-grandchildren, and three great-great- grand children. Major John C. Bond along with family members are buried in the Bond Cemetery, Green Bush Township, Warren County, IL.  I have pictures of the tombstones.

    He was the Father of Major William G. Bond, well remembered as an officer in the Eight-third Illinois Infantry in the Civil War and Sheriff of Warren county from 1876 to 1882.



This page updated on:

Thursday, June 21, 2007 04:32:10 PM

link for below for your convenience.  just click on the place you want to go... Thanks!!!