Cameron, Cold Brook
Warren County IL
CAMERON IS LOCATED ON THE LINE OF THE
Chicago, Burlington , & Quincy Railroad and principally in Floyd Township. After the route of this road was determined,
concluded that this would be a good locality to lay out a town.
It was first platted February 22, 1854, and was called
and laws located south of the track.
A few people at least here must have had great expectations
regarding this town. Why they did so remains a mystery. We find it was platted again at two different times, once by
Warren. This plat was filed December 21, 1854, and was located on
sections 32 and 33 in township 11 north of range 1 west, containing 79
acres. J.W. Adcock surveyed
south of the railroad track was platted by
and Sarah Cameron,
March 6, 1854, and was located on sections 5 and 6, township 10 north of
range 1 west, and was surveyed by J.W. Adcock.
Waste’s Addition to Cameron was platted July 13, 1855, and
was located on section 4, township 10 north of range 1 west, and was
surveyed by S. M. Moore.
Robert Cameron made another addition to
August 2, 1856. Waste’s
addition lay east of the first plat and also extended across the
railroad track into
Cold Brook Township, and was
This place, or noted village, is known in the sad years gone by,
by travelers as a sort of a cross between a watering place and a harbor
of refuge. It is not
remembered, that anybody ever had the courage or audacity to accuse a
traveler of voluntarily stopping, but he has been quietly or
unceremoniously “dropped,” by the conductors, to foot it back to
Galesburg, and there wait for the next train to carry him on to his
destination, giving him in the meantime ample opportunity to stretch his
limbs, for which he left his car, and was left by it.
The railroad officials corrected their management at Galesburg
some years ago, and hence Cameron has gone down, not having any more
unfortunate travelers to supply with cigars, cookies, crackers and
The first man to open a store here was A. B. Hawkins, who
moved over from the old town of Cold Brook.
The post office was established here after the railroad was
completed, in February, 1855, and Mr. Hawkins was appointed
postmaster. After this, the
was united upon,
and it has been known as such since that time.
Edward Hunt followed Hawkins as postmaster, and
served during President Buchanan’s administration. Harrison Waste came in during the Republican
administration of President Lincoln.
H. C. Higgin, H. H. Kelly and E. Hart, who is the present
postmaster, followed him.
After the advent of the railroad, some houses from Galesburg opened
business here. At one time
it was quite a shipping point for grain, and it still receives most of
the products from the western portions of Cold Brook and Floyd
Townships, and some from the eastern parts of Lenox and Monmouth.
The population, as estimated by S. T. Shelton last spring, is
There is a general store carried on here by E. Hart, and
one by L.T. Kelly. Robert Atkinson keeps harness and saddlery;
carry on the drug business; E.W. Rowe has also a general Store.
The Christian Church is
the same society that was organized at Peter Peckenpaugh’s on
section 30, April 30, 1831, and is one of the first church organizations
in the county. The first
members were among the first settlers of county.
As they were somewhat historical, their names are given below:
William Whitman, Sarah Whitman, Julia A. Whitman,
Henry C. Haley, Elizabeth Haley, John C. and Francis Murphy, John G.
Haley, Richard H. Ragland, Nancy Ragland, William M. and Elizabeth
Davidson, Josiah Whitman, Elijah Davidson, Sr., Margaret Davidson, Sr.,
and Margaret Davidson, Jr., Elijah Davidson, Jr.
Six of the above members are still living:
Julia A. Whitman, now Mrs. Davidson; Elizabeth
Haley, now Mrs. Jones; Francis Murphy, now living in Oregon; Margaret
Davidson, Jr., also in Oregon; Elijah Davidson, Jr., in Oregon; and
Elizabeth Davidson, now Mrs. Lucas, and living at Abington.
This church was constituted upon the belief that the scriptures
of the Old and New Testaments are the word of God, and the only rule of
faith and practice, and sufficient for the government of the Church.
They erected their first church building at Savanna,
afterward called Cold Brook, which was completed in 1839.
Rev. William Whitman was their first pastor.
Before their church building was constructed, meetings were held
in school-houses and in private families.
This society at one time numbered over 200 members.
In 1851 many of its members went to Oregon, enough to form quite
a congregation there. The
place where settled was called Monmouth, after the town in Warren
County. In 1860, Cameron
having become a thriving railroad town, and the business of Cold Brook
having been transferred to that place, it was decided to move the church
also. Accordingly and
edifice was put up at Cameron, at a cost of $2,300.
In an early day the people attended this church from far and
near; from Abington,
Monmouth, Ellison, Gerlaw, etc.
Among the preachers that have served this church are:
Revs. William Whitman, Alexander Reynolds, James R.
Ross, Livy Hatchett, John Rigdon, Cousin of Sidney Rigdon of Mormon
fame, William Davenport, A. J. Kane, Isaac Murphy, John G. Haley, Josiah
Whitman, Alex Johnson, L.S. Wallace, J. S. Edwards, John E. Murphy, and
T. H. Goodnight, now in Kansas.
of these early preachers are still living.
When the church had no regular pastors, Elder S. T. Shelton,
one of Cold Brook’s most prominent and favored citizens, would preach to
the congregation. Recently
they have secured the services of Rev. Charles Laycock, a
talented young preacher. They have now
about 125 members with a large and interesting Sabbath-school. This society is prosperous and is doing good work in the
Christian field of labor.
Methodist Episcopal Church
The Methodist Church
was organized in 1856; M. B. Morey and wife, J. B. Porterfield
and wife, Benjamin Tinkham and wife, and William P. Crosby and wife,
constituted the first members.
Their building was erected in 1857, at a cost of $1,300.
This building was burned in September 1877.
A new edifice was erected in 1887, and was dedicated July 1st,
the same year. Revs
preached the dedicatory sermon. George W. Palmer, pastor and Thomas
H. Pryon. It is a neat
frame structure, costing about $3,000.
They have good parsonage, which cost $1,000.
Rev. J. B. Snedaker is the present pastor who presides over
about 60 members. In
connection with the society is an interesting Sabbath-school with about
The First Baptist Church
number of members of this church assembled June 30, 1866, for perfecting
an organization. Rev. J.
N. Talman of Monmouth preached the sermon, when Rev. H. H. Parks
was called to the chair.
J. N. Talman was chosen clerk pro tem.
D. F. Smith, C. C. Manford and F. G. Manford presented
letters. Several others
gave their names and declared themselves in favor of uniting as soon as
they could receive letters from their former churches.
After this, articles of faith were adopted.
Rev. John Balton was the first pastor.
The church was completed and dedicated in August, 1869.
Rev. Balton terminated his labors with the church, March
4, 1871. J. K.
Pennington, who remained until 1878, when Rev. C. G. Kent,
who served until 1880, succeeded him, followed him.
Rev T. W. Jones then took charge and remained for awhile,
when Rev. Mr. Depperman succeeded him.
At present the society is without a pastor, but occasionally they
have services at the church.
Cameron has a fair graded school.
It is a union district from Floyd and Cold Brook.
Before the consolidation in 1871, they had separate schools and
school buildings. After the
districts were untied, a good two-story building was erected for school
purposes. Miss Libbie
Regneir is the present principal, and Miss Kate Boggles,
assistant, with an average attendance of 75 pupils.
Tompkins Twp, Warren Co., IL
located on the C. B. & Q. R. R., twenty-one
miles east from Burlington, Ia. In the year 1836
five families had located in this township, as
follows; Samuel Hanna, Z. M. Davis, James
Gibson, R. Tinkham, Benjamin Tompkins, after
whom the township was named. Prior to the
building of the railroad through this county,
settlement was slowly made in this region, but
on the completion of the road, in 1855, new life
was infused and business sprang up as if by
magic. In the year 1854 David Irvine laid out
the original village of Kirkwood to which two
additions have been made, called Quinby's
many years a brisk trade has been carried on
here, especially in grain, which has hardly been
surpassed by any town on any railroad leading to
Chicago. The village was incorporated in 1865,
and the following were the first Trustees: O.
Lanphere, J. L. Bachelor, J. K. Cummings, A.
Carmichael and J. B. Sofield. The present board
is T. F. Lowther, George Kellogg, A. C. Van
Riper, L. Rapalee, Wm. McCoy, W. K. and J. H.
The first store here was opened by Knowles, Ray
& Chapin in 1855. The First National Bank is one
of the solid institutions of this county, and is
ably managed by Dr. Henry Tubbs, President, and
Willard C. Tubbs, Cashier. Chapin, Houlton, &
Davis have a large private banking business;
also an extensive mercantile trade. There are at
the present time five general stores, four
grocery houses, four drug stores, two hardware
stores and agricultural implements, tow boot and
shoe stores, two bakeries, one book store and
news room one jeweler, two blacksmith shops, two
shoe shops, two wagon shops, one lumber yard and
note: you couldn't tell that now......
The graded schools of this village are the just
pride of all her people. There are two neat and
commodious school houses--six rooms--in which
schools are maintained nine month so the year.
The number of children enumerated by the census
of 1876 is 482 in the village and in the
The Presbyterian Church of
Kirkwood was organized in 1856, and was first
called South Henderson Church.
Meetings were first held in the school house
about two miles southwest of town. A committee
had been appointed by Schuyler Presbytery to
assist in the formation of the church. This
committee was Rev. J. H. Nevins, R. C. Matthews,
and Elders Hiram Norcross and James Boggs. At
the organization there were twenty-six members,
"of whom many have fallen to sleep, but a few
remain until this day." The first elders were
Jacob Ackerman, Alex. M. Harvey and Nathan
Carr. Of these, Fathers Carr and Ackerman yet
live, having more than fulfilled their four
score years. The first stated preaching was by
Rev. J. H. Nevins for one year. Then Re. W. L.
Lyons for three and a half years. From July,
1863, to April, 1865, was a vacancy, with
occasional preaching by Dr. J. M. Jamison and
others. At this latter date Rev. J. W. Ash began
his labors here, and was the regular supply for
two years. Then Rev. J. W. Allen was here for
two years, and during his administration a new
and commodious church was built, 40 by 65 feet,
and cost $11,000./ In 1870 Rev. G. N. Johnson
supplied for six months. Then Rev. J. H.
Marshall was stated supply for two and a half
years. the present minister, Rev. E. W.
Thompson, is the only installed pastor the
church has ever had. He began his labors here in
1874. The first house of worship built by this
Church was a small frame structure, 20 by 30
feet, in the south part of town, in 1858. For
two or three years it was occupied by the M. E.
congregation on alternate Sabbaths. This was
afterwards sold to the Roman Catholics and moved
off the lot. In 1868, the present church was
erected, and is an elegant gothic structure. It
was thoroughly refitted in 1875. The present
membership is 125. An interesting Sabbath's
school is maintained throughout the year, with
an attendance of 125. E. P. Clauson is
superintendent. The church is in a prosperous
The United Presbyterian Church of Kirkwood,
Ill., was organized in 1858 at Center Grove
school house with about eighteen members, among
whom were David Irvine and wife, Dr. J. Biddle
and wife, John Woods and wife, and I. H. Martin
and wife. The meetings were first held at the
above named school house, also at Mr. Edward
Wray's hall. Their church was built in 1863 at a
cost of $2,800. The pastors who have served at
this church are Rev. I. B. Foster three years,
Rev. W. J. McSurely two years, Rev. I. B. Waddle
seven years. The present membership is one
hundred and fifty-seven. Average Sabbath school
attendance is eighty.
The Young America Church was organized August
12th, 1855, with ten members. their present
house of worship was built in 1858 at a cost of
$877.50. Rev. I. B. Fuller presides. There are
at present seventy members and forty Sabbath
The Universalist Church was organized in 1860 at
Rap's Hall. Thirteen members were received,
among whom were N. A. Chapin and George.
Williams. For some time services were held at
Rap's Hall, where they remained until the
completion of their church, which was dedicated
in 1866, its cost being $4,00. The Church was
rebuilt in 1869 at an additional cost of $3,000.
Rev. C. L. Walsh preached two years, Rev. A.
Clayton one year, Rev. A. Tidbits two years,
Rev. Hibbard eighteen months, L. H. Tabor
three-year. The present number of members
thirty, with the same number of Sabbath school
The M. E. church was organized in 1856 at Young
America Hotel. The first sermon was preached by
Rev. O. Swartz January 5th, 1856, in hotel.
Afterward meetings were held at the Presbyterian
church on alternate Sabbaths. The members of the
first class were John Ramsdell, leader,
Elizabeth Ramsdell, Mary E. Youmans, Daniel and
Matilda Tinker, Oliver and Rachel Hall, William
L. and Margaret Roberts. The pastors in charge
have been as follows:
James Tubbs, three years;
C. Springer, Two years
B. C. Couch, two years
M. Spurlock one year
Jesse Smith, two years
the present pastor Rev. C. H. Brace, who began
his work in September, 1876.
The first trustee election was held in the old
Presbyterian house, March 20th, 1865 and the
following were elected: Henry Tubbs, Alex
Youmans, B. Logan, E. H. Randall and T. W.
Beers. The house of worship was built in 1865 at
a cost including grounds and parsonage, of
$8,300. Dedication services were conducted by
Dr,. Eddy, from Chicago. Preacher in charge,
Rev. James Tubbs, to whose labors may be largely
attributes the origin and completion of the work
free of debt.
The present pastor is Rev. Charles H Brace. The
present membership about 250. The Sabbath school
numbers 225. Superintendent, Rev. C. H. Brace.
This charge is in a prosperous condition.
Village Board of Trustees:
Van Riper, W. K. Gamble, L. Rapalee, J. B.
Gregory, H. W. Allen, R. R. Davison. J. H.
Lincoln Lodge No #518--Geo N. Carr, W. M.; Frank
Farrel, S. W. Geo. Carlin, J. W.; W. J.
Scofield, Sec'y; C. K. Brown, Tres. Meets second
and fourth Tuesdays of each month.
Twp., Warren Co., IL from another history
located town was started a short period before
the advent of the Chicago, Burlington & Quincy
Railroad, and was first called Lyndon. It
was however, incorporated August 5, 1865, under
the act of the Legislature as Young America.
At the election, J. K. Cummings, J. B. Sofield,
A. Carmichael, O. Lamphere, J. L. Bachelor, were
chosen Trustees. At a meeting of the trustees,
August 15, for the purpose of completing their
corporate government, J. K. Cummings was chosen
President of the Board; J. B. Sofield,
Secretary; and J. L. Bachelor, Clerk. At a
meeting held August 51st, the boundary lines
were determined, as Follows commencing 80 rods
north of the southeast corner of the northwest
quarter of section 9, 10 north 3 west; thence
west one mile, to the northeast quarter of
section 8; thence south one mile, to the center
of the west line of the northeast quarter of
section 17, thence east, to the center of the
east line of the northwest quarter of section
16; thence north, one mile to the place of
beginning., and you lost me altogether.
A petition was presented to the Board by a
majority of the legal voters, requesting that
the name be changed from Young America to that
of Kirkwood, which petition was granted, May 14,
1874, with but one dissenting vote.
It was first platted by David Irvine and A. G.
Kirkpatrick, the plat containing 80 acres on the
east side of the southeast quarter of section 8,
and was filed for record Oct. 20, 1854. There
were 12 subsequent additions to the town.
Carr and Rankin had the enterprise to start the
first store in the town, which was located on
the corner of Kirk and Cherry Streets. Knowles,
Ray, & Chapin opened the next store, on the
north side of the railroad track. The first
building erected here was for a hotel, by the
railroad company., This way also located on the
north side of the track and was used for a
restaurant. W. W. Gilmore was the first
Post-master, receiving his commission soon after
the railroad station was established. S. C.
Smith erected the first dwelling house. it was
located in the northwest part of the town.
The first school was taught in the town,
then called Lyndon, was by David Abby,
over a warehouse. Soon after this school was
opened, a school-house was erected, which was
located on the north side of the railroad. Its
completion was made the occasion of a
Having thus secured so favorable a start, the
future growth of the town was assured. Messrs.
Chapin, Houlton & Davis established a private
banking institution at an early day and are now
doing a large business. This is one of the
reliable banking houses in the he county. After
the inauguration of the National "Banking system
the First National Bank of Kirkwood was
established, which is doing an extensive
business. The mercantile line is well
represented, here, and there are any very fine
stores, some of which would be very creditable
to any city.
The Kirkwood Roller Mills, by Davidson & Sons,
is one of the manufacturing industries which
give credit to a town and materially aid in its
development. I It Has been running now about 22
years, and under the roller system about four
years, retaining one burr for grinding
middlings. The capacity of this mill is about 40
barrels every 24 hours This firm is constructing
a large brick building near the track of the
Chicago, Burlington & Quincy Railroad, into
which they intend to put new and improved
machinery, which will give them a capacity of
100 barrels per day. They expect to be able to
start this mill by the first of June, 1886.
In natural advantages of location, Kirkwood has
no superior in the county. In walking about the
town, one is impressed with the fact that the
art of man couldn't construct more beautiful or
desirable sites for dwellings. The citizens,
with commendable skill and taste, have enhanced
the natural attractiveness of these grounds by
setting out shade-trees, which have grown into
grandeur, laying out broad streets, and erecting
elegant and imposing residences. Much of this,
however, if not all, is lost to the traveler who
only passes through, stopping, it may be for a
night at the hotel and in consequence of which
Kirkwood has obtained rather an unenviable
reputation. If the people would fence in, or
fence out, the depot, with its immediate
surroundings, it would give the traveler at
least the luxury of imagining that over or
beyond this fence there might rest one of the
most attractive towns within the Military Tract.
The present officers of the village are: F. M.
Davidson, President of the Board of Trustees; J.
C. Betzinger, C. H. Mundorff, J. C. McLinn, and
C. A. Carmichael, Trustees; E. Schenbarger,
Clerk; W. K. Gamble, Treasurer,; John Effort,
Marshall. The population of the town is about
Township, Warren Co., Illinois
This is one of the earliest settled locations in
this county. L. P. Rockwell and Jonathan Buffun
came here on a prospecting tour in 1830 from
Ashtabula county, Ohio, and found Adam Ritchie
located in a small block house on the hill. It
had been built by Ritchie in the previous year.
Rockwell and Buffun bought his claim of 160
acres, having upon it a mill site on Cedar
Creek. They remained here during the winter of
1830 and 1831, and engaged in building a
saw-mill, the first in the county.
They returned in the fall to Ohio, and in April,
1832, they set sail with their families and some
others on a raft down the Ohio river. They
started from Warren County, Pa., and were four
weeks on the raft in reaching Cincinnati. Here,
after much delay, they took passage on a
steamboat for St. Louis, and on arriving there
found the same boat was going to Beardstown, and
so continued their journey to this point. From
this latter place they went by ox teams to
Canton, and then to their new homes on Cedar
Creek. They added another block house near the
first and built a stockade for a fort. The
nearest mill or post-office was about seventy
miles distant. Soon however, the post-office was
established at this point was first called Cedar
Creek Post-office, and in 1851 the name was
changed to Denny at Washington. In the spring of
1832 Rockwell and Buffun rented their saw-mill
to Chester Potter, who was also from Ashtabula
county, Ohio. He added a small pair of burrs for
grinding wheat and corn. These millstones were
only twelve and half inches in diameter, but did
the grinding for a large scope of the country.
They were made by Potter from a Granite Boulder
or "Nigger-head" found on the prairie in this
county. Potter, however, continued here only one
year, when he moved to Kelly twp. and set up a
mil for himself on Henderson Creek. Buffun sold
out his interest to Rockwell September 21st,
1832, and went to Fulton Co, afterwards to Rock
Island. On the 8th of August, 1835, L. P. Rockwell
and D. G. Baldwin entered into agreement to
build a large flouring mill, which resulted in
the erection of the present Rockwell Mills. The
first P. M. here was J. P. Buffun, on year; then
L. P. Rockwell for about twenty years. He died
in 1860. The first school was in 1834-- teacher,
Miss Betsy Hopper. There is not more pleasant
location in this county than Denny.