PORTRAIT AND BIOGRAPHICAL ALBUM OF WARREN COUNTY, IL
PUBLISHED 1886 BY Chapman BROS.
page #435 Rufus Ogden--
Rufus Ogden, of the firm of R. Ogden & son, Breeders and dealers in full-blood and grade heavy draft horses, resides on section 17, cold Brook Township. He was born in Oneida Co., M. Y., Oct. 23, 1818. His father Abraham Ogden, who was a farmer by occupation, and a native of England, was born near Manchester, and was of middle class in social standing in that country. He emigrated to the United States when about 21 years of age, and was united in marriage in New York State to Miss Keziah Houghton, who was born in Pittsfield, Mass., and was a New England parentage and of English descent. They resided after their marriage, until 1839, in Oneida County, N. Y. Then removed to Warren County, Ill. and were among the early pioneers of the county. The father was an inventive genius, and perfected an arrangement to use steam as motive power that was identical to principle with Robert Fulton's and about the same time. He, however, withheld his papers and his discoveries were not made known until after it was too late to profit by them.
Our subject was one of a family of nine children, four sons and five daughters. He resided at home until he was 18 years of age, when he came to Illinois and located in Warren County, where he was untied in marriage, April 25, 1843, to Miss Narcissa C. Wilber. She was born in Madison Co., N. Y. June 20, 1820, and was a daughter of Rev. R. M. Wilber and Harriet Phelps Wilber, natives of New York State and of American parentage. Her father was a prominent minister in the Baptist Church, and in 1836 her parents and family came west, locating in Warren County, IL. The Father both prosecuted his ministerial labors and conducted his farm. He subsequently went to Henry County, and resided in Oxford Township, where he died in 1860. Her mother died in New York state many years ago, and the father was again united in marriage, the step-mother's demise occurring in Warren County. Mr. Ogden has one son and two daughters living and married, and has buried three infants sons. The record of his children is as follows: Harriet is the wife of O. A. Speckerman, of Maryville, Mo., and is the mother of six children, one of whom is deceased; Aaron A. Elon B. and Arthur died in infancy; Eugene married Ida I. Beldin, daughter of Daniel D. and Rachel Lockwood Beldin, residents of Galesburg, Ill. They were married Sept 12, 1882, Eliza O, is the wife of Frank Goodspeed, and they live in Bedford, Taylor Co., Iowa.
Mr. and Mrs. Ogden are members of the Baptist Church at Berwick, and Mr. O. is the oldest male member of his church and has been a member since 1841. In politics, he is a staunch Republican.
About 1866 Mr. Ogden, of whom we write, began to breed full-blooded and grade draft horses, and has since continued in that business with fair success, average age, for an average price of $470 each, or a total of $16,450. His representation at the fairs have always carried off many laurels. At the recent State Fair at Chicago, they took eleven first and seven second premiums, and also a large list of premiums at the Iowa State Fair, held at DesMoines. As the above indicates, he has some of the finest Clydesdales to found in he West. He is devoted to his calling and is an enthusiastic admirer of the beautiful and powerful Clydesdales, of which he has eight full-blooded animals. As an agriculturist and also a dealer in stock, he ranks as high as any gentleman in Warren County, and is meeting with success in his chosen vocation.
Mr. Ogden is not only one of the early pioneers of Warren County, IL, but is to-day, as he has ever been during his residence here of half a century, on of the most enterprising, highly respected and influential men of the county. Few men within its borders have done as much as he toward the development of the resources of this splendid country, and his devotion to the moral interests of the people has been equally demonstrated with his enterprise for its material prosperity. Thus, so closely allied to both great departments of the well being of a community, he is justly regarded as one of its leading and representative citizens, and as such, and one, too, eminently worthy of the place, we give in connection with this brief outline of his life his portrait, engraved from a photograph recently taken.
Mrs. Mary Hall, is a resident on section 28, Tompkins Township. Her deceased Husband, Henry W. G. Hall, as born Jan 20, 1825, in New York State, where he resided until 1855, engaged in farming in Lewis County. His younger years were passed in attendance at the common schools and in assisting his father in the cultivation of the farm. On coming West, he decided on making his home in Warren County, Ill. an purchased 40 acres of land on section 28, Tompkins Township, upon which he located his family. By hard labor and economy he increased his landed interests in that township to 120 acres, on which he resided, engaged in agricultural pursuits, until his death, which took place Nov 22, 1877. In politics, he was a supporter of principles of the Republican party. Religiously, he belonged to the Methodist Episcopal Church, as likewise did his wife. Mr. Hall was known as a genital gentleman and an enterprising, liberal, spirited citizen, always willing to aid in any good cause calculated to benefit mankind, and was especially active in any measure which was for the benefit of the community in which he resided.
The marriage of Mr. Hall took place Feb 10, 1852, his wife the day whose name heads this sketch being a Miss Mary Roberts, a native of New York and a daughter of William L. and Margaret Jones Roberts. Her father was a farmer and came to Illinois in 1855, locating on section 28, Tompkins township, this county, and there resided until his decease, which event occurred Feb 22, 1877. For fourteen years prior to his death he was blind. His faithful wife followed him the land of the hereafter, Dec 13, 1882.
Two children were born of the union of Mr. and Mrs. Hall---Lillie A. and George H. who was married to Emma Holliday, Dec 23, 1885, resides on the he farm with his mother, where he is engaged in its cultivation. Since the death of her husband, Mrs. Hall has managed the farm, and by her economy and good business judgment, has succeeded in adding 85 acres to the estate left here by her husband's death, and the shadows of the evening of life, coming as they do, in the peace and tranquility of the dear old homestead, are perhaps even more pleasing than were the golden sunbeams of early youth.
William T. Boyd, a farmer on section 11, in the township of Point Pleasant, is a native of the State of Indiana. He was born in Jefferson Township in Greene County, Oct 7, 1845. Thomas H. Boyd, his father, was born in Kentucky. The place of the birth of the latter was Bath County and the occurrence was dated June 4, 1812. He was the eldest son of Drury B. and Elizabeth Hurd Boyd, of whom a sketch is presented elsewhere in this work. His parents removed to Greene Co., Ind., when he was 13, and there he passed the years that intervened between that period and his removal to Warren Co., Ill. His father was a carpenter by trade and he worked with him both at that business and as an assistant in the clearing of the farm. April 3, 1838, he was married to Margaret Jones. She was born in New Berry District, in the State of South Carolina, Jan 17, 1`818, and was the daughter of Benson and Priscilla O'Neil Jones. The families of her parents were both of the same state in which the daughter was born. In 1819, they removed to Indiana and were early settlers in Greene County. Their home was there until 18478, when they made another transfer of their interests to Illinois. They came to Warren County, Illinois, to seek a place for a permanent home and a the time their family included three children. They came from their abode in the Hoosier State with Oxen and horse teams and three wagons. They were in fair circumstances and they brought with them their household belongings. After a journey of three weeks duration they halted in Henderson County, where they remained three months. At the expiration of that time they removed to Ellison, where they rented land and resided until the year which has been mentioned as that in which they removed to the township win which their son resides. The senior Boyd bought a tract of unimproved prairie land on what was then "town 8", and now bears its present "Pleasant" name. The father erected a small frame house in which the family could find shelter until he should be able to build such a structure as their necessities demanded. He at once proceeded to work of improving the place and putt it in excellent condition. He added to and rebuilt the house and erected a frame barn. The place was well supplied with trees of the varieties common to the locality an was all enclosed. Mr. Boyd lived to see his township fully developed. His demise occurred On his farm, March 1, 1877, His widow is still his survivor and is the occupant of the homestead. Drury B. John J. William T. and Cary are the names of their sons. Priscilla, the only daughter, is the wife of Andrew Woodward and they are residing on the homestead with their mother.
When his parents came to Illinois, Mr. Boyd of this sketch, was an infant of 18 months. consequently, he is to all purposes a native citizen of the township of which he is now a resident and in which he has been a continuous inhabitant ever since. He as trained in the profession of a farmer, and was a pupil in the common schools during the early years in which he was busy in obtaining his education. Later, He was a student at Cherry Grove Seminary at Abingdon, where he attended three terms. At the age of 129 he engaged in teaching and filled his first term of school in District No. 6, in the same township where he was brought up. He also taught one term in addition and that was the extent of his operations as a pedagogue. He has passed the remainder of his life of activity in the pursuit of a farmer.
Oct 1, 1868, he was joined in marriage to Susan F. Dean. She was born in Lewistown, Fulton Co., Ill., Sept 1, 1849, and is the daughter of Michael and Susan Cummings Dean. Her father was born in Kentucky and her mother was a native of Scotland. They were pioneers of Fulton County and are now living in ?Warren County, Illinois.
Mr. Boyd located on the farm on which he is now residing at the time of his marriage. It is situated on the northeast quarter section which has been mentioned. One child--Jennie May, has been born to the household. Mrs. Boyd is a member of the Presbyterian Church. Politically, he is a Democrat. William was a supervisor for three terms.
A. K. Morris. The subject of the following sketch is one of the substantial and well-to-do farmers of Ellison Township. He was born May 4, 1835, in Madison Co., Ohio, and is the son of Amos and Rhoda J. Campbell Morris, and the youngest of the family now living. He came with his parents to Warren County, Ill, in 1854. They settled on section 15, of Ellison Township, where the elder Morris purchased 80 acres of land, to which subsequently other tracts were added.
Young Morris received a good, common-school education in the district schools of his native State and remained an inmate of the parental home until shortly after the breaking out of the Civil War. In February, of 1862, he enlisted in Co D., 12th Ill Cav. The regiment rendezvous was at Chicago and from there went to Springfield, Ill., where for three months it was on duty guarding prisoners. The regiment was then ordered to Mattinsburg, Va., and soon after the entire command, under Gen. Miles was captured at Harper's Ferry, except the 13th Cavalry, which succeeded in cutting its way through the Rebel lines and escaped. Private Morris was sick in the hospital at the time and was captured. He way paroled at Harper's Ferry and from there went to Chicago, via Baltimore and Annapolis. In February, 1863, he re-joined his regiment at Falmouth, Va., and was unfortunate enough to again fall into hands of the enemy. He was captured in the fight at Farrell Station and sent to Libby Prison, at Richmond, from which he was paroled and soon after exchanged. We soon after, however, find him again at the front at the famous battle of Gettysburg. He did honorable and faithful service for his country, and should be remembered for the valiant part he took in its defense. Sounds like you couldn't keep a good man down.
J. B. Nash, residing on section 16, Hale Township, is one of successful, sturdy tillers of the soil, and owns 160 acres of good farm land. He was born in Greene Co., Ohio, Aug. 18, 1833. When about two years old, his parents came to Warren county, Illinois, where he received his education, which, owing to the necessity which compelled him to assist in the labors of the farm, was somewhat limited. His father died when he was about seven years of age, and he chose for his vocation in life that of agriculture, which he has followed until the present time. He has erected on his farm a good residence, double corn crib, 32 x 24 feet, barn and outbuildings, and his premises are indicative of that push energy of which he is possessed.
Mr. Nash was married in Hale Township, Feb 1, 1860, to Adeline C. McKinney, who was born in Warren County, on the 12th day of January, 1836. She bore him four children-- James T. R. born Jan 21, 1861; John H. Feb 16, 1862; Mary J., May 22, 1864; and Harry C., Aug 22, 1867; John departed this life April 1, 1882, aged 20years. The wife and mother died June 26, 1870, and Mr. Nash was again Married in the same township, Oct 7, 1875, to Susan E. Hamilton, who was born in Clinton Co., Ind.., Oct 20, 1844. Her parents were John and Sarah Baldridge Hamilton, natives of South Carolina and Ohio respectively. They came to this county in 1871, where the father died, in April, 1876; the mother still survives. The parents of Mr. Nash's first wife were Abraham and Anna Brownlee McKinney.
Mr. Nash Has been School Director, and his wife is a member of the United Presbyterian Church. Politically, he is a supporter of the principles of the Republican Party.
The parents of Mr. Nash were James and Margaret Brown Nash, natives of Pennsylvania and Kentucky. They came to this county in 1835, and settled in Hale Township, where they were among the early pioneers, and experienced all the trials and privations incident to the settlement of a new country. They continued to reside in Hale Township until death of the head of the family, which took place in that township, Jan 21, 1841. The wife and mother survived her husband, and resides in Hale township, at the advanced age of 81 years.
James C. Irwin, dealer in boots and shoes and millinery, at Monmouth, was born in Clarion, Pa., Aug, 19, 1843, and was the son of William and Margaret Patrick Irwin, natives also of Pennsylvania. The family removed from the Keystone State to Michigan, probably in 1844 or 1845, and there in the city of Detroit the parents spent the remainder of their lives.
James C., was educated at the common schools of Michigan; came to Morris, this State, in 1858, and to Monmouth in 1869. While at Morris he enlisted August, 1862, in Co C 76th Ill Vol. Inf. and served to the close of the war.
He returned from the army to Morris, and clerked in a dry goods store up to the date of his coming to Monmouth. Here he engaged with an older brother in mercantile business, and gave it his attention up to 1878, his brother, however, retiring from he firm at the need of the first year. In 1878, he closed out his dry goods, retained the millinery department, and put in an extensive stock of boots and shoes. Associated with him in business Mr. James Mannon as salesman. Mr. Mannon is a native of Ohio, came to Monmouth, in 1877, and has been with Mr. Irwin since 1880. Like Mr. Irwin, he is instinctively a gentleman, and the source of their success in their line, the secret to twitch they without effort place themselves at the very head of their trade, is readily traceable to the fact that they recognize the rights of their patrons, and are satisfied with reasonable profits.
These are the kind of men who deserve to succeed, and the writer of the industrial history of Monmouth places their names in the list of "honorable mention."
James Gardner owning 200 acres of good farm land, under an advanced state of cultivation, located on section 6, Cold Brook Township, was born in Edmonson Co., Ky., Sept 13, 1829. The father of James, Thomas Gardner, was born in West Virginia, and was the son of a farmer, who came to Edmonson Co., Ky.,; was there reared to manhood and married Catherine Lair, a native of Barren Co., Ky., the daughter of a Kentucky farmer. Seven Children were born to the parents while residents of Kentucky, James, our subject, being the eldest.
James Gardner was 17 years of age when his father died in Edmonson Co., Ky., and two years later his mother, accompanied by her six children, came to this state and located in Cold Brook Township, this county, where the mother remained until her death, which occurred Feb 28, 1880, at the age of 79 years of age, the date of her birth being April 26, 1801.
James Gardner, after accompanying his mother to this State and county, lived with and labored for her support and the maintenance of the children until his marriage with Miss Margaret A. Robison, which occurred in cold Brook Township, May 10, 1853. She was born Nov 1, 1829, and was the seventh child of her parents' family, having been born in this county, and is at present the oldest citizen of the county, whose birth is recorded as within its boundaries. She is the daughter of Andrew and Nancy Stitt Robison. (See Sketch M. C. L. Robison). Her parents came to this state at an early day, and settled in what is now Kelly Township, and known as Robinson Point, Sept 12, 1829. That portion of the county at the time was undeveloped, and her parents endured all the privations incident to the improvement of a new settlement. their marketing was done at what is now Oquawka, Henderson County, Illinois. The county at that time included what is now Warren and Henderson counties, the latter having received its name from Henderson Richie, who was the first white child born within its present boundary. Mrs. Gardner was the oldest white child born in Warren County.
After Mr. and Mrs. Gardner were untied in marriage, they located on a new and unbroken tract of prairie land, which to-day comprises the fine farm on which they reside. It consists of 200 acres, and the labors of the past have placed it under an advanced state of cultivation.
When MR. Gardner first started in this county he was as poor as a church mouse, but by energy and perseverance, coupled with the active co-operation of his good helpmeet, he is to-day the possessor of a fine farm as stated, and from his present standpoint looks back over the history of the past and smiles at the trials and difficulties which he and his good wife encountered and overcame.
Their union has been blessed with the birth of seven children, two of whom are deceased: Ella D. became the wife of Clarence Young, a farmer residing in Kelly Township, and of which union three children have been born---Roy, Phebe and Nellie: Effie D. Was untied in marriage to Henry Gates, who resides on a farm in Butler Co., Nebraska., and they have one child, Bertha; Nancy C., Milton E., and Ira M. Are living at home.
In politics, Mr. Gardner votes with the Democratic party.
Mrs. Gardner having been the first white child born in Warren County, Strange to say, has resided within one and a half miles of the place of her nativity until the present, and in the sunset of her years realizes the wonderful developments through which the county has passed since her birth. She was never out of the Ste, even on a visit, until about the age of 52.
Benjamin H. Gardner is a pioneer of Warren County of 1834. He is a native of Virginia, and accompanied his parents to Kentucky when he was a mere lad. In the fall of the year named, in company with considerable number of persons who, with himself, were desirous of finding a location in a free State, he came to Illinois. They came with ox teams and wagons, brought their provisions with them, and lived while en route tin the Gipsy fashion. They arrived in Monmouth, Warren Co., Illinois, Nov 3. 1933, and Mr. Gardner built his own cabin in township 12, range 1 (Kelly Township) and in March, 1835, went to this township and made a claim of 125 acres of land on section 30. When the land came into market, he went to Quincy and secured it by purchase from the Government. He built a log cabin on the place the same season, and the farm. He removed to Knox County to give his children the benefit of the schools there. He has been the owner of other tracts of land at one time was the proprietor of more than 400 acres of Kelly Township. His property is well improved and supplied with excellent farm buildings.
The year after he settled in Kelly Township, Mr. Gardner went on horseback to Greenbush, a distance of 25 miles, to procure iron to make a plow, and brought the material back with him in A sack. He then obtained the services of a blacksmith in Making a "barshare" plow. In 1836, he opened one of the first coal banks in Warren County. It is located on section 30, and the blacksmiths for a distance of 25 miles around came there for their supplies of coal.
Mr. Gardner was born July 14, 1811, in Louisa County in the "Old Dominion." He is the fifth son of William and Catherine Hollen Gardner, both of whom were born in the same State--Virginia-- in which their son first saw the light of day. Their parents were of English origin. They removed to Kentucky in 1815, crossing the intervening mountains with their team of four houses. They located in Warren Co., Ky., and were among the first of the settlers there. Two of the uncles of Mr. Gardner, Asa and Reuben, were soldiers in the War of 1812. The former was a lieutenant.
The advantages fro the education of children in Kentucky were then very limited, and consisted of such as the common schools of that State at that time afforded. Mr. Gardner went from three to four miles on foot daily for the few months yearly in which it was possible for him to do so, and studied in a log school-house which had no windows. He was 23 years old when he started from his home for the purpose of finding a place to live beyond the line of slavery, which he believed to be the "sum of all villains." He was a Democrat but nevertheless an abolitionist of the most decided type, and a Free-State man. He left home on the 7th of October, as has been stated, and arrived in Monmouth Nov 3, Following.
His marriage to Jemima R. Wallace took place Jan 1, 1835. She was born in Warren Co., Ky, April 27, 1816, and was the daughter of William and Nancy Smith Wallace-my 4th great grandparents--Foxie's note-email me if you are related to these people thanks!- and sister to my 3d great grandfather William John Thomas Wallace.---- Jemima died Feb 4, 1861, after giving birth to nine children. Nancy C. is the wife of H. J. Adcock, of Kelly Township; William is deceased; Mary A. married A. M. Johnston, of Nodaway Co., Mo; Robert is a citizen of Fremont Co., Iowa; Amanda is deceased; George W. Lives in the township of Cold Brook; Rebecca is not living; Benjamin F. has been dead some years; Benjamin E. lives in Kelly Township.
Aug. 23, 1864, the father was again married, Mary A. Deatherage becoming his wife. She was born in North Carolina, in Stokes County, March 28, 1824. She was the daughter of Achillis and Susan Deatherage Deatherage, who were of English ancestry, and was the third in order of birth of a family of 13 children, six of whom are living. She came to this county with her parents, who first settled in McLean Co., Illinois, in 1832. Here they remained for four years, when they pushed further northward and found a desirable location in Knox County. Mrs. Gardner was first married Oct 14, 1841 to Samuel F. Patton, and by him became the mother of four children, tow of whom are now living-- George W., one of the county officials of Johnson County, and Julia, the wife of G. W. Gardner, of cold Brook Township, Warren County, IL. Myra is the name of the only child of the second marriage. She married Emmet Barnett and now lives in Cold Brook Township. Mr. Gardner is a member of the Christian Church at Talbot.
There are few men in Warren County more widely known or highly esteemed than "Uncle Benjamin Gardner." He is one of the venerable pioneers who located here before the hand of civilization had disturbed the magnificent scenery of prairie and woodland. The green flowery carpet which covered the undulating surface of the broad prairies, skirted by forests and groves, must have formed a delightful aspect. The beautiful native flowers and the tall prairie grass have given place to fertile fields. All is changed, and no doubt the pioneers often long to behold the unsurpassed beauties of the scenery so common to them for a long time after they came here. As one of the most worthy of the pioneers, and a truly representative citizen of Warren County, Illinois. the portrait of "Uncle Ben" Gardner is presented in this volume.
James A. Evans, deceased, who was one of Warren County's well known and successful farmers, and a resident on section 29, Lenox Township, was born in Virginia, March 1, 1821, and passed his early life in the Buckeye State and Indiana. He afterward came to Illinois, locating in Henderson County, where he remained until his removal to Warren County, Illinois about the year 1851. Locating in Lenox Township, he entered land on section 29, where he resided an labored until death. He was the owner at the time of his demise, which occurred April 3, 1875, of 240 acres of some of the best equipped and cultivated land in his township, having fine substantial buildings and all other necessary appurtenances upon it; but his widow is now the possessor of only 80 acres.
Mr. James A. Evans was married in Henderson County, Ill, March 7, 1844, to Miss Lucy C., daughter of Washington and Elizabeth McChesney Fort, who was born in Kentucky May 10, 1827. Mr. and Mrs. Evans had become the parent of nine children, six of whom survive, viz: Emeline, who became the wife of David Darr, and they are both now deceased; Washington, deceased; John A., who is married and lived in Lenox Township, the county; Samuel, deceased; Stephen D., who is married and lives in Kansas; Mary E. Ida J. now wife of Thomas Davis and living in Gladstone, Henderson Co., Ill; James A. who resides in Kansas; and Jesse C. is at home.
Mrs. Evans is a member of the Baptist Church, as was her husband. She is now carrying on the farm with the assistance of her sons. A portrait of her late husband is shown on another page.
Easton Morris, deceased. One of the prominent and well-to-do pioneers of Lenox Township of 30 years ago was Easton Morris, who located on section 15. He was born in Wayne County, Southern Illinois, May 26, 1833, and enjoyed but limited advantages for an education, as the days of his boyhood in Illinois afforded very meager opportunites for securing any advanced education. He met a violent death while on a visit to Kansas, being killed in Missouri by lightning on the 8th day of Sept 1866.
Mr. Morris ws married inLenox Township, Jan 25, 1835, to Rebecca A. Butler. She like her husband, was also born in Illinios, Warren County, Feb 28, 1834. She is the mother of three children. Eva A., Ewing V., and Myron H. Eva is deceaxed. Mrts. Morris owns 95 acres of excellent tillable land on section 15, in Lenox Township, and is an excellent business lady. She is a member of the Baptist Church. Ewing V. is married and lives in Galesburg, where he practices medicine. the other son, Myron H., assits his mother in carrying on the home farm.
Thomas L. Capps, owning 170 acres of good, tillable land in Lenox Township, and residing on section 24, is a son of Asa and Mary (Brooks) Capps, natives of Kentucky. The parents were married and settled in this country, where the father was an agriculturist until his death, which occurred December 06, 1878. His widow survives. The issue of their union was nine children, named Thomas L., Nancy E., John L., Sarah J., Lewis M., Lucy C., Orville and Edwin R. Mary E. died when she was about ten years old.
The gentleman whose life's sketch we write, is a native of this county, having been born in Roseville Township, June 06, 1843. From childhood his inclination was to become a successful and independent farmer, and his younger days ere passed principally on the farm, alternating his labors thereon with attendance at the common schools, and supplementing his education gained here by a five month's course of study at Abingdon College. He is at present the proprietor of a fine and well improved farm, and a gentleman possessed of sound, proved farm, and a gentleman possessed of sound and practical knowledge of the vocation of an agriculturist, in the following of which occupation he is meeting with success.
The Lady whom Mr. Capps wooed and won and who on September 16, 1866, became his wife, Miss Mary Jewell, is a daughter of Reuben and Elizabeth (Johnson) Jewell, natives of New York State and Virginia, respectively, Mrs. Capps was born in this county, March 05, 1844, and was the second in order of birth of a family of children. Her parents, on coming to this county, settled in Berwick Township, where they resided until their deaths.
Mr. & Mrs. Capps have become the parents of four children,---Minnie J., Nettie B., Ada C. and Orton A. The head of the household has held the office of Supervisor of Lenox Township two years and also the offices of School Director, Trustee and Tax Collector. Socially, he is a member of I. O. O. F., and in religious matters he and his wife both believe in the doctrines of the Baptist Church, to which denomination they belong. In politics Mr. Capps votes with the Democratic party.
Orville is a brother to Thomas above.
Capps, I. M., a prosperous agriculturist and stock-raiser on section 15, Roseville Township, is a son of John and Miriam (Cole) Capps, and was born in Edmonson Co., KY., in 1835. His parents came to Illinois in 1864, locating in Berwick Township. They remained there but four years, when they removed to Creston, Iowa, where the father is living a retired life in peace and quiet with his estimable companion, who assisted him in all his labors and partook of all his trials. They have a family of eight children.
I. M. Capps, remained at home with his parents until he attained the age of 21 years, assisting in the labors on the farm, and received at their hands a good common-school education. After arriving at his majority, he worked out for one year in his native State, and in 1857, came to Illinois, locating in Lenox Township. During the first summer after hi9s arrival he hired out by the month, and attended school during the winter. which course he also followed the ensuing summer and winter, at the end of which time he rented a farm, and worked for four years solely in his own interest. He then purchased the farm on which he now resides and which contains 265 acres. He has made all of the excellent improvements with which it is now provided. He is also engaged in the stock business.
March 07, 1861, the marriage of Mr. Capps and Miss Mary S. Dillon was solemnized. Miss Dillon, who was born in Logan Co., Ky., was the daughter of William Dillon, who moved with his family to Illinois and settled in Floyd Township, this county, when Mary was but eight years of age. She became the mother of eight children, namely: John F., Nina C., Edward, Nellie, Winnie, Fannie, Myra and Bertie. The death of Mrs. Capps occurred October 06, 1885. She was a lady of estimable character and greatly admired by a large circle of friends and acquaintances. She was a devoted Christian lady and a member of the Baptist church. She is buried in the Union Cemetery.
Politically, Mr. Capps is a Democrat, and has held many of the official positions of his township. He is at present serving as Justice of the Peace and School Director. He belongs to the Order of A. O. U. W.
Thanks for visiting & be sure & come again
link bar above to help you navigate this web site easier. thanks for visiting.
I thank you & Your Ancestors will thank you too.
---Wednesday, September 26, 2007 12:32:27 PM