FLOYD TOWNSHIP

 

     FLOYD TOWNSHIP  

Warren County, IL

 

            Floyd came into the township organization with the other townships.  The records of the proceedings of the first meeting were burned, and only a part can be given.  The election was held April 4, 1854, at the old town of Cold Brook, when the following officers were chosen:

 

William Laferty, Supervisor; H. S. Hascal, Clerk; G. B. Cross, Assessor; Thomas B. Cross and Charles Phelps, Justices of the Peace; James L. Grand and Bradley Hecox, Commissioners Highways.

 

            It is numbered 10 north, of range 1 east, and is bounded on the north by Cold Brook, on the East by Knox County, on the south by Berwick and on the west by Lenox Townships.  The early settlers of Warren County did not overlook this territory. 

 

John Armstrong has the credit of being the first to locate in the township, which was in 1829.  He came with his family and located on the south side of the township, on section 23, put up a cabin, the first in the township, and commenced to improve his land and construct for himself and family a home.  He was born in Illinois, May 11, 1812, and died in 1882, leaving his kindred and a large circle of friends to mourn his loss.  The next to move in was Benjamin F. Allen, with wife and nine children, from Oneida Co., N. Y.  The names of the children are Truman D. Eliza, Frederick, Jane, Edwin, Henry and Emery (twins), and Albert and Ambrose.  These children are all dead but Ambrose and Truman D.  Mr. Allen located on section 29.  He died July 10, 1872, at the old homestead, and his widow three years later.

Louis and Isaac Vertrees, from Kentucky, with their families, came here in 1830, locating their homes on section 3, where they made many improvements.  Isaac, after some years, moved back to his native State.  Louis was attached to his home, lived there through out his long life, and died April, 13, 1883, (respected and loved by all who knew him.)   Elijah Davidson was another early settler, moving in in 1830, He was also from Kentucky.  After living here over 20 years. He,  with a part of his family, joined the colony that emigrated to Oregon in 1851.  Carter T. and Hosea, sons of Elijah Davidson, settled here with him.  Carter died in Oregon a few years ago.  Hosea moved to Missouri, where he died.  Alexander Davidson, son of Elijah, came in about this time.  All the Davidson has settled on the school section 16.  After these families came John Dodge, his son John Milton, Felix and David Robinson, George and Henry Cable, Wilson Sheldon, M. D. Matteson, Cornelius Tunnicliff, Thos. D. Allen. And others.  After the Black Hawk War the township settled quite rapidly.  Among those coming in after the was Henry Cable, his wife and six children ---Sarah, Mary, Ezra, George C. Chauncy M. and William H.  they came in 1834, and settled about a mile and half east of the town of Berwick, near the township line.  Mr. Cable came from Oneida Co., NY.  Here he lived for over 40 years, improving his farm, accumulating property and rearing his children most of whom settled about him.  During this long period he took an active part in all the public affairs of the township.  In 1866, he moved to Monmouth, where he died, March 8, 1877, at the age of 80 years.  His wife, Olive, died in February, 1875, in her 84th year.  Mary died in 1851; Sarah, who married Mr. Lafferty (see bio) is still living in Monmouth.  The sons are all living on farms in Floyd Township, except Chauncy M. who is living in Monmouth.  During the Black Hawk War, man of the settlers, fearing attacks from the Indians, went into Knox County, where they remained until the war terminated.  The first birth, death, and marriage is not definitely remembered, nor the first school taught.

 

            The children living in the territory now embraced by this township, attended school at the old town of Cold Brook; so also did the people go there for their religious services, which were held under the auspices of the Christian Church.  Some of the preaches of this Church would hold services occasionally at private houses in this township.  In 1839, a Christian Church was established at Meridian, near the line between Floyd and Berwick Townships, the members joining this organization withdrawing from the Cold Brook church.  Another congregation was formed from the Cold Brook Church, in 1845, at what was called Short’s Corners, section 16.  It was one of short duration, and was disbanded in 1847.

Slug Creek and its tributaries, which run south easterly into Berwick, uniting with Nigger Creek, which empties into Spoon River, water the township.  The land in this township is nearly all prairies, with slight undulations, except in the southwest portion, where it is timbered and somewhat broken.  Along the upper line of the township is the +++++++++++divide, the waters on the north emptying into the Henderson and then into the Mississippi, and those on the South into Spoon River, and then into the Illinois River.  The principal crops raised now, are corn and hay.  It was once a very heavy producing township in all the cereals, but the land became worn out and a change of product was necessary.  The farms in the township are all good and well managed.  The dwelling houses are comfortable, and many of them are constructed with taste.  In all the school districts are good schools and good school buildings.  The Chicago, Burlington & Quincy Railroad passes along the northern line of this township, or between this and Cold Brook.  The nearest depot and trading place is Cameron.  In population it is estimated that Floyd has not lost in numbers since 1880, it containing then, according to the census reports, 1,162.

            From the Assessor’s report for the year 1885, the following information is obtained:

 

Number of acres of improved land, 22,385; number of acres of unimproved land, 360; value of improved land, $301,511; value of unimproved lands, $2,880; total value of lots, $4170; number of hors3es, 1,065; cattle, 1,422; assess and mules, 6; sheep, 147; hogs, 2,665; steam engines, 2; carriages and wagons, 204; watches and clocks, 73; sewing and knitting machines, 87; pianos, 6; organs and melodeons, 34; total value of personal property, $606.40.

 

Supervisors

 

William Laferty……………….1854-5          C.W.Boydston………..1871

John F. Giddings………………1856            Lewis Vertrees……….1872

Thomas B. Cross……………...1857-60       C.W.Boydston………...1873-4

Lewis Vertrees………………..1860-3         John W. Bolon………...1875-8

Charles Waste…………………1863           D. C. Graham…………1879

W. C. Clayborne……………….1864           John W. Bolon………...1880-2

S. T. Shelton……………………1865-70      D. C. Graham………….1883-5

Back to Township Histories of Warren County

 

Back to homepage Warren Co., IL

 

 link bar below to other informative pages at Foxie's Warren County, IL, site...