Early Days of Greenbush Biographies
John Patterson was born in Edmonson county, Tennessee. In 1843, he moved to Warren county, Kentucky; and in 1852, he moved from there to Greenbush, Warren county, Illinois. He was married to Jane McCoppen in Tennessee. To them the following-named children were born:
William, who married Sarah Magers in Kentucky, was killed by the explosion of a boiler at Wm. G. Bond’s saw-mill, January 10, 1862.
Elizabeth, who married Elza Magers.
Jane, who married Jacob Osborn, the basket-maker.
Sarah, who died in May, 1879.
Samuel, who married Amelia Jones.
John, who married Samantha Jane Simmons.
James, who married Samantha Acton.
Mary, who was about 16 years old, was burned to death, in 1862, at the sorghum-mill of Jacob Osborn, in Berwick township, her clothing having caught on fire from the furnace where they were making molasses.
John Patterson, the subject of this sketch, was deaf and dumb during his entire life. He died in 1884. His wife died August 6, 1879.
Wm. Palmer was born in Cayuga county, New York, June 25, 1820. He was a son of Lemuel and Martha (Babcock) Palmer, the fifth in descent from Walter Palmer who was born in Nottinghamshire England, in 1585, and emigrated to America in 1627. Wm. Palmer was married August 20, 1840, to Mary Ellinger. She was born in Ohio, June 20, 1823, and was a daughter of Joseph and Nancy (Bowman) Ellinger, and sister of Ann Karns, Catherine Ury, Barbara Baldwin, Elizabeth Gladish, and Samuel L. Ellinger.
After marriage Mr. Palmer made several moves, living in Indiana. Will county, Illinois, near Joliet, and Green county, Wisconsin, near Broadhead, from which place his brother-in-law Samuel L. Ellinger helped him move to Warren county, Illinois, between the years of 1845 and 1847. In 1856, he moved to Chickasaw county, Iowa, near the small town of Jacksonville. His health failing, be moved to Bourbon county, Kansas, arriving there August 21, 1865. He then bought a claim on the neutral lands of a man named Cavanaugh, located near the Missouri line, ten miles south of Fort Scott, where his wife's s sister, Catherine Ury, and family then resided. He lived here up to the time of his death, which occurred July 12. 1870. His wife died November 13, 1872. They are buried side by side in a little country cemetery in Vernon county, Missouri.
To William Palmer and wife were born the following-named children:
Samuel Zelotus, born in Indiana, September 18, 1841; died in Greenbush, Illinois, May 30, 1855.
Martha Ann Elzora, born in Indiana, February 24, 1845; married William Asbury Insley, of Tippecanoe county, Indiana, near Appleton, Kansas, October 22, 1872.
Mary Viola, born May 4, 1847; died at Greenbush, Illinois, December 14, 1847.
Laura Jane, born in Greenbush, Illinois, August 28, 1848; married James Harvey Gulick, near Appleton, Bourbon county, Kansas, December 6, 1868.
James Milo, born in Greenbush, Illinois, November 18, 1850; married Mary L. Earver, September 27, 1873, near Appleton, Kansas, where he now resides.
Philip Henry, born near Jacksonville, Chickasaw county, Iowa, October 6, 1857; died April 1, 1864.
Barbara Rosetta, born near Jacksonville, Iowa, January 19, 1860; married George T. Insley, April 20, 1878, near Altoona, Wilson county, Kansas. He was a native of Indiana and half-brother of Wm. A. Insley. George T. Insley died October 18, 1896.
Josie May, born near Appleton, Kansas, May 1, 1866; died July 29, 1866.
Wm. Palmer was a shoemaker by trade. When he was married he had a kit of tools, about twenty-dollars’ worth of leather, and twenty dollars in money to begin with, and when not otherwise employed he worked at his trade. He was in the store with S.J. Buzan for a while; he also kept a small grocery store in connection with his shoe-shop when he resided in Greenbush. He bought a farm in Iowa and sold half of it to a brother. Here he farmed, working at his trade in the winter until he moved to Kansas. He lost half of his claim in Kansas; he thought this was caused by false swearing. He was at one time engaged in the mercantile business at Appleton, Kansas, with a man by the name of Stevens. This man wanted to keep whisky, which did not suit Mr. Palmer. So they divided up and Palmer sold his goods to William Emrick, son of Jacob Emrick who kept hotel at one time in Greenbush. Mr. Palmer was a good-templar. In religion he was a Methodist.
Aaron Powers was born in the state of Connecticut, February 1, 1782. He was a son of Nicholas and Phebe Powers. He left his native state, in 1805, and went to North Bend, Ohio, where he was married to Martha Colby. She was born in New Hampshire, April 3,1787. She came with her parents to North Bend, Ohio, in 1805. They moved into a stone house where they kept hotel, many distinguished men stopping with them, among them William H. Harrison who boarded with them for some time. Martha Colby’s mother was a Williams. Her brother, William Williams was one of the signers of the Declaration of Independence. It is said of Aaron Powers that he attended school but very little. Certain it is that he acquired a considerable education. This he did by hard study, buying his own books. He was noted for his great memory and few excelled him as a grammarian in his day. Mr. Powers taught school at North Bend, Ohio, for five years. He taught his first term for ten dollars, but received fifteen dollars for each term thereafter. He entered one hundred and twenty-five acres of land in Butler county, Ohio, and moved there in 1811, where he resided until 1839, when he moved to Greenbush, Illinois. He bought a farm on section seventeen, of Abram Johnson, where he resided up to the time of his death. Mr. Powers was a Methodist preacher and preached his first sermon here about one week after his arrival. This meeting was held in a log schoolhouse a short distance from his residence, about ten persons gathering to hear him. About the time he was ready to begin service, Sammy Brown appeared. He came with his wife in a wagon from Oquawka, where he then resided. Mr. Brown had formerly lived in Ohio, where he was a member of the same conference with Mr. Powers. They were rejoiced to see each other.
To Aaron Powers and wife were born the following-named children:
Aaron, who married Mary Ricard. He died at White Hall, in Green county, Illinois.
Joseph C., married Nancy Acre in Butler county, Ohio. He died January 11, 1867, at the age of 57 years. His wife died January 25, 1864.
Clarissa, who died when she was only two or three years old.
Solon, married Mary Morris. He died at Edwardsville, Illinois, in 1854.
Milton, married Martha Orley; supposed to have died in California.
Benjamin Abbot, married Rachel Carmack. He went to California, in 1861, where he died in 1891. Eliza, married A. G. Pearce. She died January 22, 1896, at the age of 77 years. He died October 19, 1895, at the age of 79 years.
Martha, married William Garrett. She died, in 1844, and was buried at Knoxville, Illinois.
Colby and Phebe were twins. Colby married Ann Duke. She came from England. She died in 1844. Colby afterwards married Louisa Nelson, in Michigan. He died in Kansas, in 1903.
James, who was found dead in his bed on the morning of October 26, 1841. He was sixteen years old.
Mary G., married Stephen W. Starr, in 1850. He died August 16, 1874, at the age of 64 years.
Daniel Davidson, married Mary Damitz. Both died in Anderson county, Kansas.
In politics Aaron Powers was a democrat up to the time Abraham Lincoln received his first nomination for president; afterwards, a republican. In religion he was first a Methodist; he afterwards joined the Mormons; becoming dissatisfied with the Mormons, he joined the Missionary Baptists and remained a member of that denomination up to the time of his death, which occurred March 26, 1862. His wife Martha died May 12, 1861, at the age of 74 years.
William Patterson Killed - 1862 p34
WM. PATTERSON KILLED. On the tenth day of January, 1862, WILLIAM PATTERSON and ELZA MAGERS went to the steam saw mill of WILLIAM G. BOND, which was then located near the residence of MAJOR JOHN C. BOND. Patterson and Magers had a log there for sled crooks. When they arrived at the mill, they concluded the log was too long. So Magers went up to the residence of John C. Bond to get a cross-cut saw to use in sawing off one end. It was noon-time and all the hands had gone to dinner, except Leander Bond, who was then engineer. He was at the engine, which was attached to the boiler, and William Patterson was standing in front of the furnace warming himself. Those who were near the mill, and upon going there heard a loud report, it was found that the boiler had burst and William Patterson was found dead. The explosion had thrown him about 60 feet from the boiler. He was badly burned and mangled. Patterson was a son of John Patterson who was deaf and dumb, and was a brother to Thomas and John Patterson. He left a wife and three children. His wife's maiden name was Sarah Magers. She was a sister of Elza Magers. Wm. Patterson was buried in the McMahill graveyard in Greenbush Township.
Amos Pierce was born in Vermont, July 31, 1784, where he spent his boyhood days. Removing from Vermont, he settled in western New York, where he was engaged in blacksmithing, proving himself an expert in making the first bolts and ironwork on the New York and Erie canal. In 1811, he was married to Miss Mary Sanford. She was born in 1790, and died September 30, 1845. His second marriage was to Mrs. Evaline Woods. Mr. Pierce removed from New York to Ashtabula county, Ohio. He came to Illinois in 1834, and bought a quarter section of land in Knox county. The village of Altona is located on this same quarter. After he had bought it, he became dissatisfied, as there was no timber on the land. He then sold it and went to St. Augustine, where he met with some old settlers who went with him to Greenfield (now Greenbush), where he bought land south of the village, on section 7. Here he built his log house of three rooms, and here he spent the remainder of his days, farming, blacksmithing, and running a sawmill on Nigger creek, a short distance south of his residence. This mill was built by Cornelius Clover, who then resided near St. Augustine. It was run by water-power, and had an up-and-down saw. The log was drawn against the saw with a wheel, having notched segments on the outer circle and wood pins on the side. When the board was sawed, the sawyer stepped on the pins to return the log. This action was called “treading back the ragwheel.’’ Many of the old settlers procured lumber here to use in the construction of their houses, and for other purposes. The old mill played its part in the early days, and then passed into decay. It is said that at the home of Amos Pierce strangers and friends were welcome alike, and that his home was a refuge for the colored man on his way to Canada for freedom. He was industrious, and stood for temperance, education, progression, and a liberal religion; and was a member of the Universalist church. In politics he was a republican. He died July 20, 1872.
Amos Pierce, the subject of this sketch, was the seventh in descent from Thomas Pierce, the emigrant ancestor of this branch of the Pierce family. Thomas Pierce came from England to this country, in 1633, with his wife Elizabeth, and settled in Charlestown, Mass. He was born in England in 1583, and died October 7, 1666. His wife Elizabeth was born in England, in 1595. The genealogy of this branch of the Pierce family, commencing with the emigrant ancestor, is:
Thomas 1 Thomas 2, Thomas 3, Thomas 4, Amos 5, Phineas 6, Amos 7.
Franklin Pierce was the seventh in descent from this same emigrant ancestor. He was born November 23, 1804; married Jane M. Appleton, November 10, 1834. She was born in 1806; and died December 2, 1863. He died October 8, 1869, in Concord, New Hampshire. He was inaugurated President of the United States, March 4, 1853.
Phineas Pierce, the father of Amos Pierce, the subject of this sketch, was born January 24, 1751; married, October 10, 1771, Ruth Gaines. She was born in 1751, and died November 9, 1802. His second marriage, January 13, 1803, was to Ruth Beebe. He died October 1, 1808. To them were born the following-named children:
Keziah, born July 1, 1773; married - - Austin.
Candice, born October 14, 1775; died September 13, 1777.
Huldah, born August 6, 1777; died October 7, 1777.
Rhoda, born August 4, 1779; married John Ramson. She died September 2, 1862.
Their (John and Rhoda's) children were:
1. John P., born August 4. 1801; died in 1863.
2. Julia, 3.Hiram, Horace, 4. Stephen (better known as “Col.” Ramson", born March 4, 1811; and died June 11, 1873.
5. Mary, born October 2, 1812; married C. P. Van Ness.
6. Phineas born August 6, 1781; married Anna Kellogg.
7. Elizabeth, born May 1, 1783; died May 5, 1783.
8. Amos, born July 31, 1784; married Mary Sanford. and Evaline Woods.
9. Abiram, born May 20, 1786; married Sarah Satterlee. January 8, 1809.
10. William, born April 20, 1788: died May 9, 1788.
Lucy, born May 20, 1789; married Ashel Smith, and J. D. Webster. She died September 24, 1864, and was buried in the Bond graveyard. She was the mother of Phineas Pierce Smith, who died in Avon, Illinois, July 18, 1898; and was also the mother of Laura Roberts, who died in Swan township, February 3, 1877.
Horace, born November 16, 1803; married Mary Perkins.
Ruth, born October 12, 1805; married Luke Perkins.
Harry, born February 20, 1808; married Alma Phelps.
To Amos Pierce and his wife Mary were born the following-named children:
Clement, born in Poultney, Rutland county, Vermont, September 24, 1813. He was married to Nancy Farr, March 6, 1834. She was born in Essex county, New York, January 13, 1814. He came with his father to Greenbush township, Warren county, Illinois, in 1834. They purchased 160 acres of land on section 7. Clement settled on a tract of land adjoining, where he resided until March. 1845, when he purchased the southwest quarter of section 35. in Roseville township, and moved upon it. Here he resided until June, 1864, when he moved to the village of Roseville, where he was engaged with Dr. B. Ragon in the mercantile business for about two years. He then bought Dr. Ragon’s interest in the stock and continued in the business for about seven years, when he sold out. In 1873 he retired from active labor. He was justice of the peace from 1872 to 1885. He also filled the office of supervisor in Roseville township.
To Clement Pierce and wife were born the following-named children:
Mary M., born August 2, 1835; married Solomon Emberling.
Laura A., born January 26, 1837; married Alexander Bramhall. and Charles Strand.
Amos, born December 10, 1843; married Mary J. Barr. They reside in Belleville, Kansas.
Phebe J., born October 10, 1845; married Thomas J. Newburn.
Zachariah T., born April 23, 1848; died September 23, 1860,
In religion Clement Pierce was a member of the Universalist church. In politics he was a republican. He died December 25, 1890.
William Henry born January 23, 1816; came to Greenbush, Illinois, in 1836. Shortly after his arrival he taught school in a log-cabin located in the woods, a short distance west of the village, then called Greenfield. He was also engaged in shoemaking with Julius Hill. William H. Pierce was married to Angeline Waldron, September 10, 1837. She was born April 17, 1819; and died July 9, 1842. In 1840, he opened up a farm of two quarter-sections, one on the southwest corner of Berwick township and the other on the southeast corner of Roseville township. He built his house about one mile west of the village of Greenbush. It was here that his wife Angeline died. She was buried a few rods west of the house. This was a lone grave until 1845, when Mary, wife of Amos Pierce, was buried there. This was afterwards used as the Pierce burying-ground; and about the year 1885, the land was deeded to Warren county, to be used as a public burying ground. Wm. H. Pierce was justice of the peace for several years. He moved to Monmouth, Illinois, in 1858, where he served as deputy-sheriff under Deacon John Brown for about 10 years; was county superintendent of schools; was also postmaster in Monmouth, Illinois, in 1861 to 1865. He helped with his money and influence in the establishment of the Galesburg Liberal Institute which finally became the Lombard University. He was a member of the Universalist church. In polities he was an old-line Whig up to 1856, when he voted for John C. Fremont and was a republican thereafter. In the early ‘40’s, he was associated with David Mather and Dr. B.Ragon in the manufacture and sale of medicine for fever and ague which was then a prevalent disease. While engaged in the sale of this medicine, he was in Carthage, Illinois, on Sunday, June 27, 1844. and witnessed the killing of Joseph Smith, the Mormon.
Wm. H. Pierce moved from Monmouth to Galesburg, where he died February 25, 1880, and was buried in Hope cemetery, at Galesburg, Illinois.
To Wm. H. Pierce and wife Angeline were born the following-named children:
Almiron G., born July 4, 1838, in the first house that was built in the village of Greenfield, which name was changed to Greenbush, in 1843. This house was known in after years as the Karns Cooper-shop. He received his first schooling at the old Downey schoolhouse, west of Greenbush. Frederic H. Merrill was his teacher. His second teacher was James C. Stice. The third was Miss Julia Root, at Woodville (now Avon). In 1855, he attended school at Lombard University, at Galesburg, Illinois. In 1856, he clerked in a store at Avon, Illinois, for J. M. Churchill. In 1858, he taught school in the Sisson school-district at Swan Creek. He was also clerk and salesman for S. J. Buzan in Greenbush, at one time.
He was married, in 1860, to Caroline Sanford. She was a daughter of Alba and Minerva (Rust) Sanford. Alba Sanford was born in Vermont, September 22, 1807. He was a Baptist minister and school-teacher, resided in Greenbush for several years, and was engaged for some time in carrying the mail from Greenbush to Monmouth. He died in Greenbush, August 28, 1871, and was buried in the Pierce burying ground. Later his body was removed and placed by the side of his wife’s in the family lot of A. G. Pierce, in Monmouth cemetery.
A. G. Pierce took charge of the old home farm during 1861 and 1862; removed to Monmouth, August 20, 1862, to act as deputy-postmaster under his father; and was city collector one term, 1865-6. February 5, 1866, he entered the railway mail service on the Chicago, Burlington & Quincy railroad. Commencing when the railway service was in its infancy, he remained in the service until April 1, 1887, during which time he saw and helped to develop the system to a high grade of perfection. He cast his maiden vote November 6, 1860, in Berwick, Illinois, for Abraham Lincoln, and has been a republican ever since. Almiron and Albert N. Snapp were intimate friends in their younger days. They were often together and generally attended public gatherings together. In the fall of 1858, they concluded to go to Galesburg and hear the joint discussion between Abraham Lincoln and Stephen A. Douglas. So they started and walked to Abingdon. Here they got a chance to ride in a farm wagon to Galesburg. During the campaign they concluded to make a wager on the election. They went to Osborn & Merrill’s store and selected two gentleman’s shawls. These shawls were all wool, large size and very fashionable at the time. The loser was to pay for both shawls. Almiron bet on Lincoln and lost. His shawl cost him twenty-eight dollars, that being the price of the two. Almiron remembers that Al Snapp and he attended the meeting at the academy in Greenbush when Alexander Campbell preached there. Since 1889, Almiron has been in the employ of the Maple City soap works, at Monmouth, Illinois, as traveling salesman.
Charles H., born in Warren county, Illinois, February 1, 1840; married Elizabeth Long, February 1, 1862. She was born in Jackson county, Ohio, June 16, 1838. To this union the following-named children were born:
Maud Z., born December 31, 1862; married Henry Baumgartner, August 17, 1904. They reside in Oklahoma.
William H., horn December 16, 1864. He was a soldier in the Spanish-American war.
Blanche M., born February 24, 1866; married C. F. Collett. They now live in Kansas.
Grace H., born June 26, 1871; married Giles C. Osborn, November 18, 1892. He was born June 15, 1864, and was a son of Alfred Osborn, who was engaged in the mercantile business in Greenbush in the early days. Giles C. is now engaged in selling drugs and musical instruments, at Avon, Illinois.
Nealy A., born June 17, 1873; died November 15, 1876.
Charles H. Pierce has been engaged in farming during the greater part of his life. In 1861 and 1862, he was clerk in the post office at Monmouth, Illinois. He now resides on the old home place in Berwick township. In politics he is a republican.
The second marriage of Wm. H. Pierce was to Harriet Woods, March 22, 1846. She was born February 27, 1826. To this union were born the following-named children:
Marietta L., born March 28, 1847; married Dr. B. A. Griffith.
Julia P., born May 10, 1849; died in 1851.
Emma J., born May 11, 1851; married W. E. Day. He died June 27, 1905.
Frank A., born August 3, 1853; died August 1, 1854.
Harriet L., born June 22, 1856. Her first marriage was to Joseph Fosdick; second marriage to John F. Perry; and third marriage to John C. Ryan.
Flora A., born April 9, 1858; died October 13, 1862.
Effie, born October 7, 1860; died September 11, 1862.
Perlie, born September 21, 1863; died August 16, 1864.
Marietta, daughter of Amos Pierce, was born in 1818. She married Henry Kelsey.
Stephen Pierce, who was a son of Amos, was born September 24, 1820. His first marriage was to Elizabeth Hanon, December 23, 1847. She was born September 17, 1829; and died April 3, 1855. To them one child was born:
Sarah Ellen, born December 25, 1851. She married J. Henry Sailer, in March, 1869. She died October 13, 1883.
Stephen Pierce’s second marriage was to Lottie Johnson, December 24, 1857. She was born in Jackson county, Ohio, June 28, 1834. To this union the following-named children were born:
Ada A., born October 26, 1858; died January 24, 1863.(Buried in Pierce Graveyard on the old home place.)
Cassius E., born April 1. 1860; died March 21, 1865. (Buried in Pierce Graveyard on the old home place.)
Brownlow, born February 10, 1862; died February 4, 1865 (Buried in Pierce Graveyard on the old home place.)
Herbert 0., born July 6, 1864; married Sarah E. Drake, April 1, 1885. She was horn August 3, 1863.
Jennie I., born December 11, 1865; married Albert A. Adams, November 23, 1892.
Stephen B., born July 11, 1867; died January 1, 1872.
Clara R., born September 2, 1870; married Francis M. Simmons, March 8, 1894.
Mary A., born September 2, 1870; died July 7, 1871. (Buried in Pierce Graveyard on the old home place.)
Jesse Carl, born March 29, 1875; resides with his mother on the old home place.
Daisy L., born April 12, 1877; is engaged in teaching school.
By occupation Stephen Pierce was a farmer; he was also engaged at one time in running a water-power sawmill, south of the village of Greenbush, on Nigger creek. He was a strong believer in the doctrines of the Universalist Church. In politics he was a republican. He died at his farm home in Roseville township, Warren county, Illinois, October 15, 1895. (Buried in Pierce Graveyard on the old home place.)
Phebe J., daughter of Amos Pierce, was born March 7, 1823; married Charles W. H. Chapin. She died January 26, 1888.
Eliza B., daughter of Amos Pierce, born March 10, 1825; died December 19, 1815.
Phineas Pierce, the father of Amos Pierce, the subject of this sketch, was in the Revolutionary war, in Captain Zebediah Orwey’s company, for service in the alarm at Castleton, Vermont, June 10, 1781, in obedience to orders by Major Isaac Clark. Amos Pierce, the grandfather of Amos Pierce, the subject of this sketch, was also in the Revolutionary war, and was with Captain James Blakeslee‘s company in the service of the state of Vermont, from the beginning of the campaign of 1781 to the 30th day of June, the same year, inclusive.
Moses Thompson Hand.
Arriving at Canton, Illinois, in the fall of 1834, he remained there during the winter. In the spring of 1835, he came to Greenbush township, Warren county, Illinois. He was united in marriage with Mrs. Elizabeth Crawford, December 23, 1835.
Her maiden name was Elizabeth Snapp. She was born in Nichols county, Kentucky, February 2, 1808, and was a daughter of George and Sarah (McIntyre) Snapp. She was the mother of John Crawford, born July 14, 1827; married Rebecca Wallace. He died January 21, 1862. She was also the mother of Sarah Crawford who was born September 23,1829; married Thomas Parks. She died December 2, 1887.
Mr. Hand resided in Greenbush after his marriage, where he was engaged in the mercantile business for some time. He finally purchased the northeast quarter of section 35, in Swan township. Here he undertook the task of converting the unbroken prairie land into a grain-producing farm, breaking prairie, fencing and building; the timber furnishing the only source from which fencing and building material could be obtained. The county then abounded in reptiles and wild animals. When in the timber making rails, he would have to cover his provisions with the box from the wagon to protect it from the wolves and other wild animals.
Aside from farming, Mr. Hand engaged in buying and selling live stock. In those days long trips must be made by the wagon road to reach a market for the produce of the farm, Liverpool, Illinois, being the nearest place where stock could be disposed of, with an occasional trip to Chicago driving a herd of cattle. Upon one of these trips he purchased a cook stove, it being the second stove brought into the neighborhood, William McMahill claiming the first. The fireplace, which had so long done duty as the only means of cooking, was to be abandoned for the modern convenience. But the cook stove was then in a rude, primitive state, differing very much from the cook stoves and steel ranges of the present day. Mr. Hand was agent for the sale of the first McCormick reapers used on the prairies in this section of the country. In the fall of 1856, he left the farm and moved with his family to Prairie City, Illinois, where he bought a stock of goods of D. K. Hardin. Here he engaged in the mercantile business for several years. Finally, selling his stock of goods to Ebenezer Sanford, he again engaged in farming, stock and grain-buying; also in the coal-mining business. Mr. and Mrs. Hand were the first couple married in Greenbush township; the ceremony was performed by John C. Bond, justice of the peace. To them were born the following-named children:
Mary, born September 22, 1836; married Richard Silver. They moved to Seward county, Nebraska, where she died.
Ann Eliza, born March 31, 1839; married James F. Hartford, June 13, 1856. He died February 27, 1902. She now resides near Prairie City, in Greenbush Township.
Giles F., born April 27, 1841; married Eliza Brink, May 12, 1864. They now reside on a farm near Stansberry, Missouri.
Caroline, born October 13, 1843; married John W. Cope. She died at Bushnell, Illinois, August 27. 1905.
Jane, born June 11, 1846; married Robert P. Maxwell.
William Oscar, born December 16, 1848; married Mary Curtis, December 16, 1873. They reside in Prairie City, Illinois.
Henry, a son of Moses T. Hand by his first marriage, married Catherine Buchner, and is living in Shenandoah, Iowa.
Moses T. Hand and wife were for many years before their death members of the Methodist Episcopal church. In politics, he was a republican. He died at his home in Prairie City, Illinois, February 18, 1888. On August 19, 1898, his aged wife was called to reunite with him on the other side. Their remains were laid to rest in the Prairie City cemetery.
Thomas Darneille was born in Middletown, Bourbon county, Kentucky, March 03, 1822. He was a son of Henzie and Elizabeth Congleton Darneille, who were natives of Virginia. Thomas came with his mother to Adams county, Illinois, in February, 1832, --- his father having died in Kentucky, August 18, 1824.
After the death of his mother, which occurred in Adams county, Illinois, July 08, 1834. Mr. Darneille followed boating on the Mississippi river from Quincy, Illinois, to New Orleans, Louisiana. On one of his trips he had the pleasure of seeing Andrew Jackson while viewing the battle grounds.
About the year 1844, he came to Greenbush township, Warren County, Illinois, where he was married February 09, 1847, to Mrs. Lucinda Snapp. Her maiden name was Lucinda Willard. She was born in Overton County, Tennessee, August 03, 1822, and died at Greenbush, Illinois, January 21, 1899. To them the following-named children were born:
Fielding M., born November 20, 1847. Died October 21, 1848.
Leander, born October 06, 1849. He was engaged as salesman for more than ten years in the mercantile house of Merrill Brothers at Greenbush, Illinois. His health failing him, he quite the business and, believing a trip to the mountains would be beneficial, he in company with his brother Orlando, Alfred D. Simmons, and J. C. Morris, started west on the fourteenth day of May, 1902,---destination, Frying-Pan river, Colorado.
They went overland, driving a span of mules the entire trip; crossed the Mississippi river at Burlington, Iowa; reached Fairfield, May 17, and visited there with A. B. Camp and family; left there on the 19th and on the 22nd they stopped over night with George Jennings near Russell, Iowa. On the 23rd they stopped over night with George Roberts, three miles north of Chariton, Iowa. George was formerly a Warren County, Illinois, boy and his wife was a granddaughter of Col. John Butler.
They crossed the Missouri river at Nebraska City and the Republican river at Concordia, Kansas stopped at Osborn city, Kansas, June 11, 1902, and took dinner with Elder R. M. Simmons; arrived at Great Bend, Kansas, on Saturday, June 14th, where they met Frank Merrill and wife; also Frank's sister Effie. After resting here two days, they again started out heir journey, Frank going with them, the ladies returning to their homes in Illinois.
The party then followed the Arkansas river and the Santa Fe railroad, arriving at Lamar, Colorado, Tuesday, June 24, 1902 where they stopped two days visiting with William A. Jack and family. They arrived at LaJunta June 29th; and four miles west of there, at noon, they saw the Spanish peaks, ninety-five miles away. This was their first view of the mountains. Arriving at Pueblo, Wednesday, July 2nd; here they remained two days. They reached Cannon City, July 5th; and after visiting the penitentiary, Royal Gorge, etc., then fell in with a party of eighteen persons, with whom they traveled for several days.
On July 11th, they came to Salida, on the Arkansas river, where they were highly pleased with the beauty and attraction of the city. After leaving Salida, they passed several mines and camps, arriving at the summit of the "continental divide," on Sunday, July 13th, where the altitude is 13,000 feet, known as Monarch pass. Snowdrifts above and below.
After traveling that afternoon they reached the valley at sunset and camped for the night on a beautiful little stream. On July 14th, they came to the little town of Sargent, where considerable excitement prevailed, as a train had been held up and the passengers robbed; the express car had been blown up. This occurred on the D. R G. railroad, about four miles from Sargent on the Marshall pass. Here the party was engaged in hunting and fishing until they went to Gunnison City.
Arriving there on 17th, where on the 18th of July it snowed and hailed, the party engaged, in a game of snow-ball; but before night the sun shown bright and the bow of love and peace appeared in the heavens.
On Saturday, July 19th, A. R. Dickson and family left the party, going farther west. This family had been with the party for about three weeks and had become strongly attached by friendship and kindness. The parting was rather affecting.
After leaving Gunnison City, the party went twenty miles north on Spring creek, where they engaged in hunting and fishing for a week. It was here that Frank Merrill killed the first grouse. Then they drove west across a range of mountains and stopped on Cement creek near Crested Butte, where they did a little fishing and hunting. Here they also prospected for gold.
They went to "Jack's Cabin" and took a lunch there. This cabin was built by Jack many years ago, it being the first cabin in the valley. The cabin shows age and shrinkage. Here in this nice valley of East river is one store, a school-house and several ranches. The D. & R. G. railroad runs through this valley. Here the party bought provisions and feed for their mules.
On August 4th, they started on their trip homeward. Following up Taylor river, they reached Union Park, where thirty men were engaged in a sluiceway, on which they had expended fifty thousand dollars, for placer mining. From there they followed Taylor river up to Taylor Park; then to a mining town, on the side of the mountain called Tin Cup.
After visiting the town a few hours. they drove four miles up the mountain to Black Lake, where they camped for the night. This lake contained about eighty acres and was full of fine fish. Here the nights were so cold that water was frozen in the pails, and this is the month of August.
At nine o'clock in the morning, they were on top of Alpine pass above timber line, altitude 13,500 feet; wind blowing cold, sun shining bright, with St. Elmo seven miles below, where they arrived at noon. After viewing the fine scenery en route, they camped within three miles of some hot springs, on Chalk creek, where a fine hotel had been built but not entirely finished; $50,000 had been expended in its erection, the company breaking up without ever opening the building.
After passing the hotel s short distance, they saw a large mountain lion crossing the road. Cal. Morris and a Mr. Miller, who were then with the party, followed the lion up the mountain but failed to get a shot. After losing trail of him, they returned to the wagon. The natives said from the description he must have been nine feet long.
About five miles northwest of this hotel the X-ray mines are located in the gold belt. John S. Rea, now in the grocery trade at Avon, Illinois, is a large shareholder in this mine.
Their next camping-place was Buena Vista, a nice little city located on the Arkansas River, at the foot of a mountain, in a mining district. While here they visited the smelter; then started for Cripple Creek, traveled all day and until nine o'clock at night, failed to find any water, and were compelled to go into camp without it. At daybreak the next morning, Lee, Dick, and Land started out to find water. After going about two miles, they arrived at a cabin owned by N. B. Daniels, and old miner. Here they found plenty of water. They also found that there were off the main route and were about sixty-fives miles west of Pike's Peak. They camped for the day with Mr. Daniels, visiting his mines. Here Lee went down in one of the mines and helped put in a blast. This mine is known as "The Last Chance." Here Frank a prairie-dog and brought him into camp, and the "Big 5" voted him the best hunter.
The party camped at a deserted town called Badger. This town had twenty-one empty buildings and was located in a valley surrounded by mountains. Here the party separated, out viewing the town and the mines; and here they met Elder Smith Ketchum, a Predestinarian Baptist preacher, who was Pastor of the New Hope church at Greenbush, Illinois. He was traveling with his two sons. One of them, having poor health, was trying the mountain air. This was a pleasant meeting, which all enjoyed.
On the fifteenth day of August, they passed through Box Canon, viewing the beautiful scenery in the canon and meeting many picnic parties. They went into camp at 5 o'clock that evening in Cripple Creek, where they remained about six days, viewing the mines--including the Independence and Portland.
After leaving Cripple Creek, they took the Cheyenne canon wagon road for Colorado Springs, passing in sight of the city of Altman, the highest incorporated city in the world, camping at night at a summer resort called Rosemont; then crossed the Pike's Peak range, following Cheyenne canon, coming out on the high mountain south of Colorado Springs, where they had a fine view of the plains. They also saw a big storm, attended with lightning, hail and rain, below them on the mountain-side.
They then drove through Colorado Springs to Colorado City, where they camped and remained until the first of September. They visited the Garden of Gods; had their photographs taken under Balance Rock; saw Glenerie, General Palmer's residence; met Giles Crissey at his office in the lumber yard, and visited the family of John R. Snapp, who were then at Colorado Springs.
On August 31, O. Darneille and Mrs. Jr. R. Snapp and child started for home by railway. On September the first, the party decided to go up to the top of Pike's Peak. Lee Darneille, J. C. Morris, Alfred D. Simmons, and Earl Snapp started about seven o'clock in the morning, all afoot reaching the half-way place about noon. Lee concluded to return, which he did, arriving in the camp at two o'clock that afternoon. Earl being the youngest in the party, reached the summit at 2:30, and returning reached his residence at 7:30 that evening. Alfred reached the summit at 3:30, and arrived back at 9:30 that night. J. C. Morris, being the oldest of the party, reached the summit at dark and returned September 2nd, at 9:30 in the evening. While he was up on the peak, he paid three dollars for supper, lodging and breakfast, and was called at 3:30 to see the sunrise.
On the third day of September, they started for Denver, passing Monument, Palmer Lake, Sedalia, and Littleton. The scenery on this route is noted for its grandeur and beauty. On the evening of September the fifth, they arrived at the residence of John K. Walker, near Littleton, and about ten miles south-east of Denver. Here they met with a kind and joyful reception; they had all been well acquainted in their younger days when John had lived in and about Greenbush, Illinois. the party stayed two nights with John, and they talked about old times and bygone days.
They left Walker's on the 7th and arrived in Denver the same day, where they camped until the 20th. Here they visited William McMahill, Mrs. Mary Buzan, Homer Pond and wife, William Baumgartner, George Hamilton, and a daughter of Sarah Walker. After selling their mules and wagon, they returned home by railroad.
Orlando, son of Thomas and Lucinda Darneille, was born April 15, 1852. He was township collector in Greenbush township for nine years; supervisor ne term; assessor four years; and notary public for seventeen years, which office he now holds. He has also been engaged for several years as administrator and executor in the settlement of estes. He was married in Springfield, Illinois, October 03, 1905, to Mrs. Margaret Ellen Smith. She was born February 04, 1861, and was a daughter of William B. and Rebecca Morris park.
George, born February 13, 1857; died February 06, 1862.
Mary Elizabeth, born January 01, 1860; died December 04, 1863.
Shortly after Thomas Darneille was married, he moved to Middletown, McDonough county, Illinois, where he was engaged in the business of blacksmithing with his brother Henzie. About the year 1850, he moved back to Greenbush and purchased lots one and two in block nine, where he built a small frame house.
The most of his last years were spent in Greenbush working at the blacksmith trade. In religion he was a member o the Christian church. In politics he was a republican. He died May 24, 1870.