Swan Township, Warren Co., IL
Swan Township was organized April 4, 1854. A full account of the meeting cannot be given as the records were destroyed by the tornado. Absalom Vandeveer, was elected the first supervisor; A. B. Sisson, Clerk, and Wm. G. Bond, Assessor and Collector. Swan lies in the southern tier of the townships and is numbered 6 north, of range 2 west, of the 4th P. M. Roseville Township lies on the north, Greenbush on the east, McDonough on the south, and Pt. Pleasant on the west.
The first settlers in this township were Mrs. Lively Cayton, widow of Abel Cayton, with her children, and George Simmons and family. They came in the fall of 1832, Mrs. Cayton locating on section 11, and Mr. Simmons on section 1. All were from Kentucky. Mrs. Cayton had four children--Nancy, George, Andrew J., and Miranda. She died at the old homestead in the spring of 1871. Her son Andrew J., is living still on the old farm. (see biography) George and Nancy are dead. Miranda was married to John Rayburne and is living in Monmouth.
A. B. Sisson from Albany Co., N. Y., came to the township in 1836. The following year, his father and all the family, including eight children arrived, locating on the northwest quarter of section 20. A B. Sisson located on section 29. Joseph Sisson died in 1851, in Greenbush; his widow died in May, 1882, in Page County, Iowa, at the age of 92 years. The children, C. F., R. K., Augustine W., died in 1851. M. F. died in 1882; A. J., Ann, Mary E., are living. Anna married Matthew Hammond, and is living in Iowa; Mary E., married George Welty, and is living with her husband in Kansas. In 1833, Peter Scott, Daniel R. Perkins, and Elijah Hanon with their families moved in. Mr. Scott located on section 18. Mr. Perkins and Elijah Hanon on section 1. Peter Scott subsequently moved to Oregon, where he died.
To this small circle of pioneers, Rev. Chas. Vandeveer and his family were heartily welcomed in 1834. His family consisted of wife and five children; John, William, Absalom, Syntha and Maria. They located on section 2. This acquisition to the neighborhood made the howl of the wolves less disagreeable and lonely, and life on the prairies of the West more attractive. It gave them hope for the settlement, and brightened up their hearts.
Surrounded as this present generation is with a numerous population and all the comforts that wealth and civilization can bring, they cannot appreciate the joy that comes to the lonely heart on the prairie or in the wilderness, from the visitation of a human soul. Here, away from strife and discord, away from the trappings and conventionalities of society, away from fashion, more deadly to the natural born instincts of the soul than the presence of the Upas Tree, the human heart asserts itself; here, the Divinity in man manifests itself, and here man is seen truly after God's own image.
Syntha Vandeveer was married to John Armstrong, both of whom are now dead. Charles Vandeveer died in 1854, and his faithful partner followed him a few years afterward. These pioneers were soon followed by Richard Orr, Reece Perkins, and Wm. Talley with their families. They located in the timber on sections 1 and 18. Clement Pierce with his young "Yankee" wife, as she was called, (see biography) came in about this time. In the spring of 1835 Joseph Ratekin, wife and nine children--Samuel, George, Polly, Fountain, Lafayette, Belinda, Lucinda, Edward, and Joseph S., from Morgan Co., Ill., moved in and located on section 19. This family was originally from Kentucky. Jonathan Ratekin, another son, came in soon after.
Joseph Ratekin was an active and prominent citizen, and not only himself but his children contributed largely to the development of the township. He died Jan. 30, 1867, and his widow, Feb. 9, 1875. Joseph S. Ratekin resides at the old homestead and is one of the leading pioneers of the township. James Tucker came in soon after the Ratekins, locating on section 4. Some years later he removed to Roseville, where he still resides.
At the first public land sale of the Military Tract held June 16,
1835, at Quincy, Ill., Mr. Tucker, Peter
Butler, Daniel R. Perkins, Louis Vertrees, Jesse W. Bond and John Riggs all met at Quincy, for the
purpose of purchasing their homes, and all came home together. Having secured their lands they felt well,
and the future looked bright before them; but had only five horses to ride,
and the journey was long. To be neighborly, charitable and obliging was the
notable feature among he early settlers, and they arranged to "ride and tie,"
and in this way they reached their new homes without much fatigue. Of this party
Mr. Tucker is the only one living.
them; but had only five horses to ride, and the journey was long. To be neighborly, charitable and obliging was the notable feature among he early settlers, and they arranged to "ride and tie," and in this way they reached their new homes without much fatigue. Of this party Mr. Tucker is the only one living.
From this time on the settlement increased rapidly and this territory became one of the leading points of the county.
Mr. Hendricks taught the first school in the township, in the spring of 1833. It was held in a log cabin, without any floor, and no windows except loop holes in the walls.
Sally Simmons, niece of Rolla Simmons, was the pretty maid who carried off the first matrimonial prize in the township. David Young was the lucky man to be captured. The even was celebrated in true pioneer style. Mrs. Young is still living in Greenbush, but her husband is dead.
The first death in the township was that of Isabella, daughter of John Long, which occurred at the farm now owned by Joseph Pitman. The first child or children born was in 1854-- a son and daughter (twins) Joel and Lovisa Bond. They are now living in Kansas.
Rev. Silas Cartwright was the first expounder of the Gospel in this township, in 1834. Tot he worshipers it was a great religious treat. It was like manna to the soul, like the gentle dew to the withering flower. Mr. Cartwright was a circuit rider, and the service was held in the school-house inn section 6. Ashel B. Sisson taught the second school in winter of 1837-8, in a log school-house on section 17.
The first postmaster was Peter Scott, who was commissioned in 1837. The post-office was located on the northwest quarter of section 18. Mr. Scott held the office until he moved to Oregon, when Joseph Ratekin was appointed. George W. Worden succeeded Mr. Ratekin, and held the office west of where the depot now stands.
In 1870 the Rockford, Rock Island (now the St. Louis Branch of the C. B. & Q. R. R., completed its line through the township. It enters on section 6, running south through sections 7 and 18, then southeast across the northeast corner of section 19, then through sections 20, 21, 27, and 35. The first train steamed into the township July 4, 1870. This road was of great advantage to the people as it furnished them ready means for the transportation of their products.
On the e27th day of May, 1872, this township was visited with a tornado. It came from the northwest and struck the township about four o'clock in the afternoon, two miles and a half northwest of Youngstown on Swan Creek. It path was some 80 rods wide, and its line of destruction extended several miles. Its power was terrific and irresistible, demolishing everything within its course. killing cattle, hogs and poultry, the latter flying through the air like snowflakes. During the passing of this tornado it was almost as dark as night. Young George Vandeveer was killed; his father had his arm broken, and was otherwise injured; Mrs. Perry died from the effects of her injuries. Mrs. A. J. Cayton had her arm broken, her shoulder putout of joint, and was otherwise so injured that she has never fully recovered. Mr. Cayton, who was out of the house at the time, was taken up and carried about 100 yards, and was dropped down, unconscious with a badly injured neck.
Swan is watered by the middle and southern branches of Nigger Creek and by Swan Creek, which meanders easterly through it. The nature of the land is rolling, except in an northeasterly portion, which is somewhat broken. It is adorned with many beautiful groves, and adjacent to the streams are some find bodies of timber. This township is well cultivated and the farms, all with good dwellings and other buildings, are above the average. There are a few farms here that are unsurpassed for their beauty and unexcelled in their productions anywhere.
It has two thriving villages, Swan creek and Youngstown, where the people do most of their trading, secure their mail, and dispose of their products.
The population in 1880, according to the census at that time, was 1,137. It is estimated that there has been some gain since that period.
According to the County Superintendent's report for the year, ending June 30th, 1885, there war nine school districts, with nine schools. The school property was valued at $2,795; the buildings were all frame. Of person under 21 years of age, there were 546; of whom 358 were of scholastic age, 275 being enrolled. The highest paid teachers was $40, and lowest @25 per month. The tax levy for the township was $2,141,94
The Assessor's report for 1885, contains the following items: number of acres improved land, 1,657; number of acres of unimproved land, 5,080; value of improved land, $251,140; value of unimproved lands, $52,225; total value of lots, $11,125; number of horses, 823; cattle, 1324; asses and mules 18; sheep, 386; hogs, 2,631; steam engines, 1; carriages and wagons, 231; watches and clocks, 114; sewing and knitting machines, 110; pianos, 4; melodeons and organs, 34. Total cash value of personal property, $62,356.
Youngstown is situated almost in the center of Swan Township, on the St. Louis branch of the Chicago, Burlington & Quincy Railroad. More Particularly described, its site rests on he southwest quarter of section22, and the southeast quarter of section21, the Northwest quarter of section 27, and was platted by W. Kidder, B. H. Kidder, N. Kidder, Mary A. and Eliza Kidder, J. B. Shawler and Olivia M. Davis. It was surveyed by Thomas S. McClannahan, on the 1st and second days of September, 1870. McKinley's addition was laid out afterwards on section27. By the extent of territory embraces in these plats, it would seem that the founders of Youngstown had very extravagant hopes regarding its future growth. It was started after the completion of the railroad and the location of a station at this point.
A. J. Cayton was the first Post-master. He was succeeded, in 1873, by H. V. Simmons, who held the office about a year, and W. G. Thomas then held the office for awhile, and was superseded by C. W. Mapes. In 1881, C. A. Cayton was commissioned and remained in service two years, when he was succeeded by J. W. Moon. When the democratic administration came into power, Mr. Cayton was reinstated and is the present Post-master.
H. V. Simmons opened the first store in the village, and was soon followed by others. Youngstown has a rich farming country around it, has a good trade, is quite a shipping point, and a very pretty little hamlet. The population is about 125. Youngstown Lodge, No. 387, A. F. & A. M., was chartered October 8, 1863. The charter members were Wm R. Chaplin, Wm Cayton, Swiss Loutz, John Bowman, A. S. Hazington, Stephen Lawrence, A. Z. McGuin, J. W., Nance, P. Ray, J. A. J. Smith, L. Barlow, J. C. Smith, J. W. Baird, The first officers were Wm. R. Chaplin, W. M.; Wm Clayton, Sr. W. M; Lewis Lantz, Jr. W. M. The lodge was destroyed by fire in February, 1885. During the past summer they erected a new hall, which was dedicated on the 28th of October, 1885. It is a neat pleasant hall, and is well furnished. The Lodge is in a prosperous condition. The present officers are: J. S. Ratekin , W. M.; A. T. Brown, Sr., W. M. ; George Taylor, Jr., W. M.; G. W. Beckman, Secretary, and a Vandeveer, Treasurer.
This thriving little village is situated on the western part of Swan Township, on section 19 and 20. It was platted on April 16, 1871, by John A. Gordon, County Surveyor. The land upon which the town is located was dedicated for the use of the inhabitants by James Tucker, Verlinda Worden, Caroline J. Tucker, George W. Worden, Joseph S. Ratekin and Hannah M. Ratekin.
Swan Creek, a thrifty town is not overgrown, and those who are in business here have a good trade and are prosperous. After the railroad came in, the post-office was moved into the village, and John H. Lippy was appointed Postmaster, succeeding Mr. Worden, who had held the office in the township. Mr. Lippy is the present Post-master. A most important industry in the village is the Swan Creek Brick and Tile Company. This company was incorporated August 1, 1885, with a capital stock of $6,000. The Directors are A. B. Sisson, E. V. Bliss, M. B. Roberts, Wm. H.. Stephenson and Chas. Torrance. Officers: Royal Bliss, President, Wm. S. Bliss, Secretary, and A. A. Cornell, Treasurer. This company manufactures about 9,000 tile per week, and employs 15 men. They get their clay on Swan Creek, about four miles southeast of the town.
William L. Bliss and John Libby are dealers in the general merchandise. M. B. Roberts carries on the drug business, hardware and groceries. Restaurant by Joseph Repple. Dr. B. A. Griffith is the village physician. Population is estimated at about 250.
The village has a good school, with an average attendance of 40 pupils. Miss Rhoda Byarlay is the present teacher. They have a good, substantial plain school building.
G. A. R., J. Tucker Post, No. 407, was organized Feb 9, 1884, with 14 charter members. Present officers: Edgar Bliss, C; J. C. Buchanan, Sr., V. C.; A. J. Johnson, Jr., V. C.; B. A. Griffith, Adjt; John Bouton, O. D.; R. H. Ostrander, Q. M.; C. M. McClanahan, Surg; Alex. Bouton, Chaplain; William F. Stephenson, O. G; Isaac Edil, Sergt Maj; Elias D. Acton, Q. M. S. Present membership 18. The Post is in a good condition, and holds its meetings regularly in the Union Hall. The I. O. O. F. Lodge, No 203. This society was chartered Oct 15, 1885, with six charter members. The present officers are: D. R. Warren, M. G.; Frank Jerrid, V. G.; Robert Bradley, Secretary; J. S. Ratekin, Treasurer. Present membership of this Society is 10, and they hold their meetings in the Union Hall.
The Universalist have a society here, and preaching every two weeks by Miss Anna Fleming, of Avon. Services are held in the Union Hall. Miss Fleming, who is an eloquent speaker, has awakened quite an interest in this township among the believers in this particular faith, and her services are largely attended.
A Sunday School was organized here several years ago. It was free to all, irrespective of religious views or creeds. A good deal of interest has been manifested in this school since it's foundation, and a Sunday has not passed that service has not been held. Since the erection of Union Hall, this Sunday School has held it's meetings here. A. A. Cornell is the present Superintendent.
a works in progress
Always a works in progress
Thanks for stopping by & come again
October 23, 2006 at home created
Sunday, October 29, 2006 01:22:15 PM
Sunday, October 29, 2006 01:22:15 PM