Southern Illinois Genealogy Books
by Patricia S. Davis
- Obituaries of White Co. IL & Other (less-important) Areas of The World: Vol. I: 1872-96.
Abstracts from films of White Co. Illinois Newspapers, with deaths from White County
(about 50%), surrounding counties, adjacent States, all other States, and from abroad;
this book lists deaths from all over, sometimes with scant information, sometimes with
amazingly full genealogical information. Even if your ancestors have no White County
connection, they may be listed in this book. Includes full-name Index. (1997, 168 pp,
- White County Illinois Marriages, 1816-1865. This book alphabetically lists both bride and
groom with spouse and marriage date, and Book- and Box-# where licenses and/or
returns will be found, taken from the original Marriage returns. Includes over 200
marriages not listed in Vaught's first Marriage book, plus many corrections of
grossly-mispelled names and of erroneous dates in that reference. Also includes a
First-Name Index.. (1995, 171 pp, soft-cover, $21)
- White County Illinois Marriages, 1866-1880. This book alphabetically lists both bride
and groom with spouse, marriage date, and ages and parents' (or guardian's) names, if
given, taken from the original Marriage returns. It also gives the Book- and Box-#
where license will be found, and the stated county of residence if not White County.
Many additions and corrections to Vaught's first Marriage book, plus some parents
added from my own database. Includes alphabetical Index to parents and/or guardians.
(1996, 208 pp, soft-cover, $27)
The following are soft-cover Indexes of previously-published Southern Illinois books which
were published 20-50 years ago, when many authors found indexes too difficult to include.
They contain both Every-name and First-name indexes, including maiden names when
available. (The Original Books are still available from the White County Historical Society)
- INDEX to WHITE Co. IL Wills 1816-1916, Obits, Naturalization Papers, 1916 Marriages.
[Original book is by Harriet Vaught & is not indexed.] (1994; 79 pp, $15)
- INDEX to Marriages from WHITE Co IL 1881-1900, Vol. 2. [Original book, which also
contains the 1976-1979 Probate Index, is by Harriet Vaught & is not indexed.] (1996;
199 pp, $24)
- INDEX to Marriages from WHITE Co IL 1901-1915, Vol. 3 [Original book is by Harriet
Vaught & is not indexed.] (1996; 155 pp, $21)
- INDEX to Early Land Grants of WHITE Co. L 1814-1854 & Probate Index 1818-1976
[Original book, which also includes 1818-1976 Probate Index & 1850-1854 Deed
Records, is by Harriet Vaught & is not indexed.] (1995; 128 pp, $18)
- INDEX to Cemeteries of WHITE County Illinois, Volumes 1 & 2. [Original books by
Harriet Vaught & not indexed.] Contains separate Indexes for each Volume, combined
in one book. (1995; 194 pp, $21)
Send check or money order with order; allow 2-4 weeks for delivery. IL residents add 6.5%
sales tax. [Libraries may request unbound books, and can be billed.]
Patricia S. Davis 103 S. Buchanan St. Marion IL 62959-2640