Tilmon B. Cantrell (deceased) was born in Wilson County, Tenn., July 5, 1815, the son of Richard and Constance (Bethel) Cantrell, both of Tennessee. The father and his family located in Franklin County in 1817, at the old fort in what is now Cave township. He was a plain, quiet farmer, who was highly respected, and who accumulated considerable property. He was a zealous member of the Regular Baptist Church. Tilmon was reared on the farm, and educated at the old Frankfort school under Capt Taylor, a highly educated Eastern man, who taught here a number of years. Early in life our subject began merchandising at Frankfort to which he devoted his time and atten-
tion most of his life. He came to Benton in 1841, and conducted a successful business until about 1871, when he retired from active life. He was a successful financier, trader and speculator. He was an earnest Democrat, but never an official aspirant. March 9, 1843, he married Euphemia D., daughter of James G. and Margaret (Crawford) Newman, whose family were early settlers of this section, and who still survives him. The following named children was the result of this marriage: Robert J., Lloyd C., William S., Margaret A., Charles C., Mary C. (Mrs. Brownlee), Kate and George. Of these only William S., Mary C. Brownlee, Kate and George are now living. The subject of our sketch was a charter member of Benton Lodge, No. 64, A. F. & A. M., and was also a Royal Arch Mason. He was also a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church, at Benton, Ill., and died May 14, 1873.