St. Mary's of Knobs Church Cemetery Page
A Brief History of Catholicism in Floyd county, Indiana
In the late 1700's pioneers began settling along the Falls
of the Ohio. Among these early pioneers were Roman Catholics
The early settlements were along the Ohio River and other
Kentucky waterways. After the capture of Fort Sackville at
Vincennes, the Buffalo Trace (Hiway 150) became a major inland
route for settlers.
Father Benedict Joseph Flaget (later Bishop of Bardstown) said
the first Mass in Floyd County (1792) at a private home in
New Albany. He was going to Vincennes and making a circuit
of his parish. This "circuit on horseback", stopping at private
homes, continued until 1823 when St Mary of the Knobs was built.
Roman Catholics in Floyd County saw a priest infrequently, until
1836 when Father Louis Neyron was assigned as pastor of Floyd
County. He founded Holy Trinity, his residence, in 1836 . Once
a month or less frequently, Father Neyron traveled to St Mary
of the Knobs, tending to the spiritual needs of the county residents.
The St Mary of the Knobs Congregation grew to such a size, that
in 1845 the parish was divided. The new parish was dedicated "The
Annunciation of the Blessed Virgin Mary (often called Little St Mary
or St Mary Navilleton.) As these St Mary congregations grew, they
were further divided and the new parishes were formed: St Mary
Annunciation (New Albany--1852); St Joseph on the Hill (1853)
and St John Starlight (1861).
(submitted by Lonnie Fink)