Canal Street School
Evansville's first public school, Canal Street School was built in 1855 at Third and Cherry Streets. Evansville's high school met in the 3rd floor of the original
building until July 1863. Afterwards it became known as Wheeler School. This photo shows the building after extensive renovations. The school was demolished and is now a parking lot for Welborn Hospital.
Return to A Little Vanderburgh County History
Christopher D. Myers
All Rights Reserved
June 24, 1999