Carpenter School was erected in 1859 on Carpenter Street near the
Willard Carpenter Home. Carpenter School was built because of overcrowding at the
Canal Street School. Carpenter School was known as
"The Upper School" and Canal Street School was known as "The Lower
School" in reference to their location to the Ohio River. The original building was
a plain, three-story brick building. This photo shows the school after its
1878 addition. The school was closed in 1957 and demolished in 1961.
WTVW Channel 7 Television Station is now located on this site.
Return to A Little Vanderburgh County History
Christopher D. Myers
All Rights Reserved
June 24, 1999