L. S. HERR, A.B., M.D., was born in
Ashland County, Ohio, February 3, 1828.
His father was John Herr, a native of Virginia,
and a descendant of the Herrs who
emigrated from Holland and settled in Virginia about the year 1700.
From Virginia John Herr removed to Harrisburgh, Penn.,
thence to Ohio, and settled in Ashland
County in 1827. He and his wife were
killed by accident in 1829, by the falling of
a tree, while on a visit to Pennsylvania.
Being thus bereft of his parents while a child, an
elder brother took charge of L. S., and gave
him a good common school education. He
was an apt scholar, and made rapid progress.
Before his seventeenth year he had
taught two terms in the public schools. He
continued his studies while engaged as a
teacher, and entering Wooster College,
Ohio, graduated therefrom in 1848.
Being then twenty years of age, he decided to take
up the study of medicine, and make the
practice of that profession his life's work.
He began his studies with Dr. T. W. Sampsel,
of Ashland, Ohio, and then attended a
full course of lectures at the Ohio Medical
College, matriculating in the winter of
1851-2. In 1854, he entered the Eclectic
Medical Institute of Cincinnati, Ohio, and
graduated from that institution in the following
Locating at Peoria, Ill., he began
the discharge of his professional duties, and
soon thereafter found himself in the possession
of an extensive practice. After three
years he removed to the city of Mexico,
and there successfully engaged in the work
of his profession. Returning to the United
States at the end of three years, he located
in St. Louis, Mo., and in 1860 removed
thence to Quincy, Ill.
Up to 1862 he practiced allopathic
methods, but in that year he
embraced the homeopathic system of practice,
and has since been a prominent advocate
of that school. In 1863 he removed to
Evansville, where he has since resided,
successfully practicing his profession. During
his residence here of a quarter of a century
he has thoroughly established himself in
public favor as a physician and citizen.
Progressive and active, he has kept abreast
of the times, and has always favored efforts
intended to advance the general prosperity
of the city. When he came here homeopathy
was still struggling against strong
prejudices, which, by his skill and ability, he
did much to overcome. He is now, and for
many years has been, one of the leading
homeopathic physicians in this part of the
state. He is a member of the Indiana State
Homeopathic Medical Association.
Dr. Herr was married to Miss Sophia,
daughter of Dr. Christian Fetter, a distinguished
physician of Baltimore, Md. Mrs.
Herr was born in Pennsylvania in 1834. To
this union one son was born, in 1859, who
died in infancy, living but nine months.