Sons of Men - Evansville's War Record
Gold Star Biographies
[Home] [Previous Soldier] [Next Soldier]

Sgt. Chester E. Schulz
Co. K, 28th Infantry, 1st Division
October 6, 1892 - November 7, 1918

   The value of a man's life may be more truly estimated by the
unconscious influence on his fellow men than by the record of his
visible actions. A virtuous life radiates an atmosphere of goodness,
and all who come in contact with such a life are made better thereby.
That Chester E. Schulz led such a worthy life is illustrated by an
incident which occurred on May 23, 1919.   A soldier who was on
sick leave to see his mother in Terre Haute happened to speak to a
friend of Schulz.  When the name of the Evansville hero was
mentioned the unknown soldier exclaimed:  "My God, he was my
Sergeant!" In the conversation which ensued the soldier said: "I have
never been the same man since I have known him."  Then he went
on to tell that since he had known Schulz his life had been reformed.

  Chester E. Schulz was born October 6, 1892. He completed the
Campbell School and graduated from Evansville High School in 1905.
For a year he worked for the Keller-Crescent Company at the Princeton,
Ind., branch. Later he entered the office of the Hercules Buggy
Works, as an accountant, where he was employed for four years. He
was secretary of the Jefferson Avenue Cumberland Presbyterian Sunday
School, a member of the choir, the Young Men's Bible Class, and
the Basketball League.

   He entered the service September 20, 1917.  He went to Camp
Taylor, where he was assigned to Co. K, 335th Infantry, 84th Division.
He was appointed Corporal October 9, 1917.  On April 17, 1918, he
was promoted to the rank of Sergeant. Sergeant Schulz went to Camp
Sherman June 7, 1918. On July 1, 1918, he underwent an operation
for appendicitis.  He was confined to the base hospital nearly two
months, and on August 23 1918, he went to Camp Mills. He sailed
for overseas September 3, 1918.

   On September 16, 1918, Sergeant Schulz landed at Liverpool,
England. Two days later he was sent to Southhampton. He crossed
the English Channel September 20, 1918, and set foot on French soil
at Le Havre, just one year from the day he entered the service of his
country.  Four days later he was billeted at Mussidan.  On October
8, 1918, Sergeant Schulz was assigned to Co. K, 28th Infantry, First
Division. Here he found three Evansville comrade Sergeant C. A.
Shofner, Sergeant Jack Greene, and Sergeant Miles Saunders.

   Sergeant Schulz was under shell fire November 2, 1918.  This
was during the American drive from Sedan to Metz,  His company
met the first opposition when it was six kilometers from Sedan.
While fighting on a circle of hills surrounding Sedan, Sergeant
Schulz fell, November 7, 1918. He was buried in the American
cemetery C (566), grave No.3, Commune Chevages, Ardennes. He was
later reburied in Grave No. 121, Section No.3, Plot No.3.

   It was four months of anguish and suspense before the official
confirmation of his death reached his parents.  During this time his
mother, Mrs. A. J. Schulz, President of the local chapter of National
War Mothers of America, wrote her son weekly letters, hoping that he
was alive somewhere in a hospital. Now the mother is resigned to the
will of God and is glad to know her boy fought heroically and that in
dying he did not die in vain.

Sons of Men: Evansville's War Record,
Compiled by Heiman Blatt,
Published by Abe P. Madison, 1920
October 25, 1998