Clark County Clipper, March 18, 1886

A Sad Accident.

About six o'clock Saturday evening Frank Swegle took a dose of cyanide of potassium by mistake for bromide of potassium and in ten minutes was dead.  Having had a headache during the afternoon he, as was this custom, went to Dr. Parks' drug store for a dose of bromide.  He had taken it many times before and went behind the prescription case to help himself.  The bottles containing the cyanide and bromide sat beside each other and Frank by mistake took the cyanide for which there is no known antidote.  Dr. Doom was called, but could do nothing.  A coroner's jury was called and returned a verdict in accordance with the above facts.  Mr. Swegle was a young man of great promise and highly esteemed by all who knew him.  The sad accident was greatly regretted by all.  His remains were taken to Fairview, Illinois, his former home on Monday, in charge of Mr. F. B. Forester.

Submitted by ~Shirley Brier~ in September 28, 2005.

 

 

Back to Newspaper Articles

Return to Clark County

Return to Kansas AHGP and ALHN