Clark County Clipper, October 9, 1884

Our First Fire.

About half past nine o'clock on last Saturday night, some parties on the square noticed an unusually bright light South of town.  The cries of a woman and children, added to the rapidly increasing light in an instant, convinced from that it was more than a camp fire.  It was T. F. Adams house one half mile South of town.  Quite a number on horse back, and on foot, hurried to the scene, and found the structure completely, enveloped in flames, which, fanned by a South wind soon burned it to the ground.  The house was not quite completed and Mr. Adams and his eldest son were gone to Dodge City for lumber with which to finish it.  Mrs. Adams and three or four smaller children were sleeping in a tent adjoining the house and were awakened by the fire crackling on the roof, which was then burning furiously.  Springing into the house she continued to carry out such articles as she could handle, until a falling joist struck and burned her shoulder, and she had to desist.  At this point some parties from town arrived, and succeeded in removing some things that she had pitched out of the house, and what was under the tent.  Several articles were saved, but the most valuable, such as new stove, and sewing machine were lost, with nearly all their clothing, Mrs. Adams being left in her night clothes.  A purse of twenty dollars and sixty cents for her benefit was made up in five minutes.  Mr. McCartney took the family to his house until further arrangements could be made.  Mr. Adams seems to be unfortunate.  His cow and calf both died two or three weeks since, and last week while in his well he was struck by a falling bucket of mud and very luckily escaped with his life.  How the fire originated can not be ascertained.  There had been no fire in the stove after four or five o'clock.  They ate supper during the hardest of the rain, and the fire then went down.  It seems strange that the roof being provided with a pipe-safe and thoroughly wet with rain, should be the first to take fire.  Many suppose it to have been the work of incendiary.
 

Submitted by ~Shirley Brier~ in September 27, 2005.

 

 

Back to Newspaper Articles

Return to Clark County

Return to Kansas AHGP and ALHN