Clark County Clipper, March 15, 1928
GLENN ORR FATALLY BURNED IN EXPLOSION
Glenn Orr, the 12 year old son of Mr. and Mrs. Fred Orr of 8 miles south and 1
mile west of Minneola, was fatally burned as a result of an explosion, Wednesday
morning at the Prairie View school 7 1/2 miles south of Minneola, taught by Ray
The tragic accident occurred at recess and all were out of the school building
except Glenn. It is thought that he poured kerosene from a five gallon can on
the hot coals in the stove which caused the explosion.
He was found near the door, still conscious although his clothes were burned off
and his body was so badly burned that there was little hope for his life. He
was taken to his home where he died that afternoon about three o'clock.
The window curtains were burned to a crisp and every window light was broken
out, is the reported damage to the building.
Funeral services for Glenn were held from the Presbyterian church south of
Minneola this (Thursday) afternoon, where his little schoolmates and others
gathered to pay their last tribute to him, whose young life was snuffed out,
seemingly, by far too soon. - Minneola Record.
Contributed by ~Shirley Brier~ October 30, 2005.
Back to Main