Mrs. Dean Mager Obituary

Source:  Article written by Dean Magar (husband), Dodge City and Ford County, Kansas 1870-1920, Pioneer Histories and Stories, PG. 229.

Dodge City Daily Globe - February 4, 1925

Burns Fatal Mrs. Dean Magar

Was victim of Gasoline Explosion Tuesday Noon -- Death Occurs
In Hospital at 1:30 o'clock today  Burs sustained about noon Tuesday as a result of a gasoline explosion caused the death about 1:30 o'clock this afternoon of Mrs. Dean Magar 914 Park street, at St. Anthony's Hospital South.  No funeral arrangements have been made.  The body is at the Home Furnishing co.

The explosion Tuesday enveloped the body of Mrs. Magar in flames and although her clothing was torn from her by W. B. Danile 912 Park Street, who rushed to her assistance, the body of Mrs. Magar was covered by deep burns from which she suffered greatly for more than 24 hours.  Mr. Daniel in his heroic attempt to save Mrs. Magar from fatal injury himself sustained painful but not serious burns.

Mrs. Magar was 39 Years of age on November 4 and was born near
Cherryvale, Kas.  She has resided in Ford County principally in Dodge
City since 1906 when her parents Mr. & Mrs. S. R. Barnes moved to the county.  On December 15, 1909 she was united in marriage in Dodge City to Mr. Magar, and with the exception of a year spent in California, she lived here until her death.  During girlhood she was converted and united with the Methodist Church at Moorehead, Kas, and her greatest desire in addition to keeping the obligation in her family, was to live a Christian life and be ready for the call of death any time. Mrs. Magar was a member of the Rebekah chapter here.

Mrs. Magar is survived by her husband two sons, Lloyd 14 and Roy 11.  In addition she leaves her mother Mrs. S. R. Barnes of Spearville who is here and three brothers, Riley Barnes of south of Spearville, Orville Barnes of northwest of Dodge City and Ott Barnes 1407 fourth Ave Dodge City.  Her father died on May 22 1897 at Cherryvale. 

For the past six months Mrs. Barnes has Magar has been employed at the People's Steam Laundry.  The explosion Tuesday occurred at the starting to prepare the noon meal for her family just after reaching home from work.

Submitted by Donna Clark on June 15, 2002.

Back to Obituaries