Welcome to Franklin County, KY History

Graveyards and Burying Grounds

Where is Bellevue Cemetery ?

For sometime now David has been looking for Melrose, the Talbot
estate later inherited by Ambrose William Dudley.  Ambrose married

Eliza Garrard Talbot, daughter of Isham Talbot, Jr. and his first wife,
Margaret Garrard.

David states he has conducted an in depth study of the Talbot family
property deeds.  Several maps of Frankfort located at the Kentucky
Historical Society Library list "Melrose".  The hand drawn maps located
Peter Dudley's land on an adjoining tract.  What they had in common
was marriage to Governor Garrard's daughters. This land may have
originally been Garrard land.  Isham Talbot, Jr's son inherited the Garrard
plantation "Mt. Lebanon" just north of Paris, Kentucky.  Another brother-
in-law, John Edwards, has also come to light in this research. Edward's
also had land that is now part of Kentucky State University, including a
mill on Yeatman's Branch or Haydon's Mill Creek.  According to three
maps the location of "Melrose" was where the house of the president of
Kentucky State University now stands.  The Lions next to the baseball
field more than likely went with Melrose.

On April 12, 1842, an article in The Commonwealth, "it is requested that no additional applications should be made for privilege of interring the
dead at Bellevue; it is very painful to be compelled to refuse; but there must be a stopping point, or permit the place to be destroyed as a
residence and garden spot.  It is rendered the more unpleasant, knowing that out city is without burying grounds." A. W. Dudley

In 1845, Ambrose and Eliza Dudley sold 32 acres known as Hunters Garden or Green to the Frankfort Cemetery board.  This land appears to be
just outside the boundary of Wm. Hayden's settlement & preemption.  The Melrose stock farm was listed as 161 acres on an early Franklin County
map.  In one deed Talbott obtained land from the estate of Rev. John Gano, which had been obtained from Wilkinson, as was the adjoining
Daniel Gano land.  This land would be the land where the cemetery later located.  There was a Gano connection to William Hunter, who also had
some acreage in this area.  He could in fact be the one Hunter's Green is referring to. Rev. Gano build a large two story cabin in the vicinity of the
cemetery.  He never completed it before he fell from a horse, which ultimately caused his death.

On the 1827 tax roll - Isham Talbot owned three houses in Franklin County.  Could one of these have been the log cabin of Gano? Ambrose William
Dudley would have lived somewhere other than Melrose.  In that same issue of the Register is an article written by his Ambrose's daughter, who
states her father lived at "Bell View" on the site of the present cemetery.


David concludes the cemetery on the hill above Leestown is not Bellevue.  It is Bellefont Cemetery named for the Bellefont Spring on the Henry-
Smith-Hays property.  This was the original burial site for two Kentucky governors. Christopher Greenup and George Madison, whose wife was a

The Dudley's do have a Smith connection as well.  Rev. Ambrose Dudley's home is still standing on a horse farm in east Lexington.  On an adjoining
farm a connection was made with the Smith's and the Preston family.  Much misinformation is circulating on the web with respect to the Dudley
lineage.  Ambrose William Dudley came to live in Frankfort due to his uncle Jeptha.  The biography of Ambrose Wm. Dudley says he was the
quartermaster general of the US Army.  He held that position for the Kentucky Militia, not the US Army.

In this search other names that came up are; Thomas Richardson (heir of Turner Richardson); John Brown of Brown's Bottom (now Trumbo Bottom);
William Porter; Harry Toulman; Daniel Peak; Gresham Lee; Thomas Mitchell; William Trigg; James Gale and Ebenezar Tipping.  A Caldwell's line is also
mentioned in one deed.  This jig saw has not been pieced together yet.  There is mention of an easement to the Richardson burying ground.  This
is not the Richardson Cemetery on the west side of the Kentucky River in Franklin County.  It is mentioned in the Daniel Gano deed from Wm. Haydon;
two tracts totaling 136 acres (DB C, pg 351). This in fact could be the original reference to a family burying ground on the later Frankfort cemetery

KHS Register - May 1903, May 1908 (maps & article)
Dudley-Garrard-Talbot, pg 52, by Mrs. Mary Dudley Aldridge

Submitted by:  David


                              All information submitted to and published at this site is intended for research purpose only. It may not be reproduced for
COMMERCIAL publication without the written consent of the creator. Although public records are not subject to copyright law,
the design of format is a personal creation and is subject to the laws of copyright. If you have any questions concerning
the information published on this page or at the Franklin County, Kentucky ALHN website, please feel free to email
me, Anne H. Lee, and I will be glad to address your questions and or comments.

© 1999 - 2011 Anne H. Lee