Welcome to Franklin County, KY History

Biographies


Captain James Hunter

James Hunter was born in Pennsylvania. On July 12, 1776, at a very young age, he enlisted for service in the Revolution. He re-enlisted on April 12, 1776 and served until
June 1, 1779, when he retired with rank of Captain. He purchased Virginia Treasury Warrant #800 and came to Kentucky and entered 1000 acres on the west side of
Jessamine Creek.

In the fall of 1811 he was commissioned Adjutant to Major Samuel Wells at Lexington, Kentucky on staff of Kentucky Light Dragoons.  He was commissioned Captain
of the 17th U. S. Infantry and shortly after was called to action at the River Raisin and on the Sandusky six months later. Captain Hunter was in command of the Kentucky
Riflemen that held Fort Stephenson.

After his discharge, James returned to Fayette County.  He became interested in Mary Hickman, daughter of Reverend William Hickman, Sr., who with her family was
living in the Forks of Elkhorn community.  They were married on April 9, 1818, in Franklin County by Mary's father.

In in summer of 1818, James Hunter came to South Benson.  He purchased from Thomas Hughes and his wife, Sally 120 acres of land being a part of the original survey
 of James McCoun, March 1, 1784.  Hughes had purchased 19 1/4 acres of this land from Abraham Bailey and his wife, Lurency on February 19, 1816. The balance he
purchased, on June 2, 1818 from Lawrence McGuire and his wife, Elizabeth McCoun, of Madison County, Kentucky, who was agent for the heirs of James McCoun.  The
tract joined Abraham Bailey on the east and Westley Hardin on the west and was located southwest of Bridgeport and faced north on the "Big Road". Thomas Hughes had
been granted a tavern license by the Franklin County Court, November 16, 1816 to operated a tavern on this property, which he had done for about two years. However,
James Hunter never applied for a license to run the tavern.

Aging and suffering from injuries received in the war, James Hunter was granted an invalid pension on April 14, 1834.  He and his wife then moved to Shelby County,
Kentucky and on April 5, 1837, he sold the 120 acre South Benson farm to William H. Todd.  About a month later, James Hunter died.  His will filed in Shelby County,
left all his estate to his wife, Mary Hickman Hunter.

                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                 Sources:
Old Bridgeport, by Jillson
Forks of Elkhorn Church, by Ermina jett Darnell


BACK TO BIOGRAPHIES
HOME


All information submitted to and published at this site is intended for research purpose only. It may not be reproduced for
COMMERCIAL publication without the written consent of the creator. Although public records are not subject to copyright law,
the design of format is a personal creation and is subject to the laws of copyright. If you have any questions concerning
the information published on this page or at the Franklin County, Kentucky ALHN website, please feel free to email
me, Anne H. Lee, and I will be glad to address your questions and or comments.

© 1999 - 2011 Anne H. Lee

[Image]