Welcome to Franklin County, KY History
Kentucky State Penitentiary
|In the late 1790's in Kentucky; you committed
a serious crime, you were put to death. Minor offences were punishable by
inflecting public humiliation and physical pain. Public whipping, branding
of the hands and forehead usually was a deteriant to crime. There was
little need for more than a local jail to hold prisoners awaiting
As the nineteenth century arrived the country began to see the beginning of a reform movement in criminal justice and Kentucky was no exception. Juries in many circumstances refused to convict obviously guilty offenders, claiming execution or humiliation was not an appropriate solution. Depending on the severity of the crime, denial of personal freedom for a period time, became the new solution to dealing with crime.
The Franklin County jail was feeling this new trend in criminal justice. Accused offenders were arriving in unusually large numbers to be held over for trial. In 1798 the General Assembly passed legislation for the purchase of one acre of ground and $500.00 for the construction of a state penitentiary. Commissioners were designated to select a location. Harry Innes one of the commissioners donated one acre of land at the corner of High and Holmes Streets. By June 1800, local contractor Richard Taylor, had erected a two story block building and a one story stone wall which completely enclosed the entire grounds.
1800, John Hunter, became the first keeper of the penitentiary. He
served until 1806, when Samuel Taylor and John Glover took over to serve
successive terms. Andrew Miller served a short term as keeper in 1815.
By 1816 he passed his position to William Starling, who served as keeper
until 1819. In the next few years the penitentiary would see many changes.
William Hardin, the next keeper obtained authorization in 1822 to build
a smoke house inside the grounds and entered Franklin County's meat packing
industry. A penitentiary store was opened to the residents of Frankfort
and Franklin County were they could purchase iron and leather goods made
by the convicts. Hardin's operating practices drew the attention of
the General Assembly. It was determined the goods produced by the prisoners
were of poor quality and over priced. The legislature turned to the
private sector for management of the penitentiary.
And in 1825, Joel Scott, a Scott County cloth manufacturer
answered the call. He was immediately elected keeper, by the General Assembly.
Scott, purchased a tract of land on South Elkhorn, where he built a large
stone house. Under his management the penitentiary became a profitable
enterprise for the state. Joel Scott retired in 1834 and turned management
over to Thomas S. Theobald. Theobald shared Scott's view on physical
expansion and by 1837 buildings, workshops and solitary confinement saw major
improvements. After material shortages and construction delays the
stone twin towers that became the front entrance were
The Kentucky State Penitentiary at Frankfort continued to be the only maximum security facility in Kentucky. In 1884, to relieve overcrowding in Frankfort, construction began on a second prison. Located in Lyon County the Eddyville Penitentiary was completed in 1886. The Kentucky State Penitentiary at Frankfort closed in 1937 and Eddyville Penitentiary remains today the only maximum security prison in the state.
History of Franklin County, Kentucky, by L. F. Johnson
The Kentucky Encyclopedia, by Kleber
Capital on the Kentucky, by Kramer
TO PEOPLE AND EVENTS
All information submitted
to and published at this site is intended for research purpose only. It may
not be reproduced for
COMMERCIAL publication without the written consent of the creator. Although public records are not subject to copyright law,
the design of format is a personal creation and is subject to the laws of copyright. If you have any questions concerning
the information published on this page or at the Franklin County, Kentucky ALHN website, please feel free to email
me, Anne H. Lee, and I will be glad to address your questions and or comments.
© 1999 - 2011 Anne H. Lee