Welcome to Franklin County, KY History
  • Home                                                 

  • Communities                                        
  • Graveyards                                       

Some Early Settlers

Charles C. Black, a wagon maker
and horse trader, born in Madison
County, near Richmond.  As a young
man, Charles left Kentucky for South
Carolina.  In 1818, he married Jane
Roach, who was previously married
to Jesse Cox.  By 1821, Charles had
returned to Kentucky with his bride
and purchased land on North Elkhorn
three miles from the forks.  Charles
became well known for his fine horse
flesh.  After living in South Carolina for
a number of years, Charles Black had
established relationships with local
plantation owners, who became some
of his best customers. Charles drove
his horses South, a practice he
continued to his death in 1839.
JOHN HENRY BURDIN, is listed on Franklin
County census 1880-1910 in the
Forks of Elkhorn District.
William Haydon, established his
station on the Kentucky River at the mouth of Yeatman's Branch.  In 1776
he built a cabin and raised a crop of
corn.  William married Ann Ballard and
had at least three known children.
Daniel James a cabinet maker from
Virginia, was born about 1750.  Daniel
appears on the Franklin County tax
list August 1800.  He lived on a farm
at Haydon's Station with his wife,
Sarah Richard, and their six children.
Daniel and Sarah were members of the
Mount Pleasant Church.  In 1824, he
sold his farm at Haydon's Station to
Benjamin Branham.
John Lewis was born about 1784 to
Zachary and Ann Terrell Lewis of
Virginia.  In 1808, he married Jean
Wood Daniel.  They came to Woodlake,
where for many years ran a school at
Llangollen.  Their son Caldwallader,
was a minister, who preached
throughout the county.  He played an
important part in the organization of
the Providence Baptist Church, where
he was a minister from 1858 to his
death in 1882.
Anthony Lindsay was born in 1736.  He
married Rachel Nellie Dorsey in 1758.  
He brought his family to Kentucky in 1784 and settled at Haydon's Station.
Hugh Macklin was in Kentucky on the
Elkhorn by 1801.  His family was of
Irish descent, migrating to Franklin
County from Maryland.  His son A. W.
Macklin operated a slaughter and pork
packing house.
Bennett Pemberton, son of Charles and
Sarah Pemberton, migrated from
Caroline County, Virginia to Woodford
County, Kentucky.  Bennett and his wife
Mary Tureman Georgetown Road across
from the Silver Lake farm of the Black
Family.  In 1803 they sold their land to
Samuel Moxley and moved to the Benson area of Franklin County.
Nathaniel Sanders, Sr. was born in 1742 to Hugh and Catherine Sanders of
Spottsylvania County, Virginia.  Nat
established at mill at the forks in 1789.
It ceased operation by 1809.  And in
1792, Nathaniel petitioned the Franklin
a new mill on the North Elkhorn.  In the
old Franklin County deeds Sanders's
tavern and fish dam are mentioned.  
The old road connecting the forks with
the Frankfort-Versailles Road was known
Sanders Mill and Steele Ferry Road.
Some years later Nathaniel moved to
Gallatin County, where he died in 1826.
James Tate migrated from Augusta
County, Virginia.  He married Mary Lloyd
and had children; Elizabeth, THOMAS L.,
who married Mrs. Nancy Taylor Gray,
Arminta, Sally and Martha.  His in-laws,
the Lloyd's, were living between the
forks and Woodlake in 1796.
Reverend John Taylor, known as
"Daddy Taylor", was born in 1752.  He
was the son of Lazarus and Anna
Bradford Taylor.  John married Elizabeth
Kavanaugh of Orange County, Virginia in
1782.  They came to Kentucky and
settled for a few months on Gilbert's
Creek in Woodford County.  Taylor was
a preacher in the area for years.
 

Cemeteries                                                                                                           Bartlett-Featherston Graveyard
A small cemetery located at Switzer near
the railroad crossing at the Forks of Elkhorn.
FRENCH CEMETERY
This cemetery is located about 2 miles on
U. S. 460 East on the Georgetown Road.
TAYLOR CEMETERY
Locate on the Macklin farm at the Forks
of Elkhorn.                                                                                                                                                                                                                    

Elkhorn

The Forks of Elkhorn is located at the forks of the Elkhorn Creek a few miles
east of Frankfort.  The area borders the counties of Woodford and Scott.
Situated in a bend of the Kentucky River, the Elkhorn became a main source
of navigation for early settlers to this area.  In 1819, the Legislature approved
an act to establish a group of men to survey the conditions and improve
navigation on the Elkhorn.
Legend has it, once there was an Indian maiden in love with a young brave,
although she was betrothed to his father, the chief.  The young brave,
determined that she was his, wrapped her in his blanket.  They mounted
the back of a friendly elk and fled.  They rode for days, always pursued by
the angry chief.  When they reached Kentucky the elk was shot by the old
chief's arrow.  As the elk lay dying, he used his horns as a shield and the
chief gave up the pursuit.  The young couple would spend their lives in this
valley.  As years passed, the elks horns sank into the ground forming
indentations that filled with a flowing stream of water the Indians called
Elkhorn.

                                                                                     

Property Owners in Forks of Elkhorn Precinct,
Including Duckers, Switzer, Woodlake and Jett
                                                           

Name

Post Office

Place of Birth

Occupation

Settlement
Date

Acreage

Ayres, E. W. Duckers Woodford County,Ky Farm & Horse Breeder

1875

445

Bedford, H. Duckers Franklin County, Ky Farm & Stock Raiser

1851

240 1/4

Bedford, S. Spring Station Franklin County, Ky Farm & Stock Raiser

1852

224

Bedford, T. H. Duckers Bourbon County, Ky Farm & Horse Breeders

1848

153

Black, S. Frankfort Franklin County, Ky Farm & Coal Dealer

1827

343

Bowen, J. H. Forks Elkhorn Franklin County, Ky Farm & Stock Raiser

1855

260

Brown, A. D. Duckers Franklin County, Ky Farm & Stock Raiser

1857

226

CARTER, B. D. Switzer Franklin County, Ky Farm & Stock Raiser

1853

100

CARTER, J. A. Switzer Franklin County, Ky Farm & Stock Raiser

1814

330

CARTER, J. W. Switzer Scott County, Ky Farm & Flour/Feed Dealer

1829

87

Coharn, G. W. Woodlake

Franklin County, Ky

Merchant & Blacksmith

1840

4

Donaven, C. Woodlake County Cork, Ireland Gatekeeper

1859

Donaven, Maggie Woodlake Pennsylvania Gatekeeper

1853

Frazier, J. C. Woodlake Fayette County, Ky Farmer

1859

134

French. J. W. Forks Elkhorn Franklin County, Ky Farmer

1823

203

Head, B. F. Forks Elkhorn Scott County, Ky Farmer

1838

63

HOLTON, J. A. Forks Elkhorn Franklin County, Ky Farmer

1856

162

Holton, J. L. Forks Elkhorn Franklin County, Ky Farmer

1859

56

Hopkins, G. W. Switzer Scott County, Ky Miller

1880

4

Hughes, G. C. Forks Elkhorn Mercer County, Ky Merchant

1852

22

Hughes, J. W. Forks Elkhorn Franklin County, Ky Farmer

1836

300

Jones, B. F. Switzer Franklin County, Ky Farmer

1832

172

Jones, J. J. Woodlake Franklin County, Ky Farmer

1838

101

Lewis, W. H. Woodlake Franklin County, Ky Farmer

Lewis, W. J. Woodlake Franklin County, Ky Farmer

1840

Lucas, M. B. Forks Elkhorn Scott County, Ky Farmer & Tobacco Dealer

1865

120

McDowell, H. C. Woodlake Bottetourt County, Va Farmer

1870

585

Macklin, A. W. Forks Elkhorn Franklin County, Ky Farmer

1844

587

Oliver, J. W. Woodlake Franklin County, Ky Merchant & Blacksmith

1840

6

Owen, L. A. Jett Station Franklin County, Ky Farmer & Stock Raiser

1853

160

Pryor, William

Forks Elkhorn Bourbon County, Ky Farmer & Physician

1860

134

Scott, J. E. Woodlake Franklin County, Ky Farmer

1841

250

Scott, Robert W. Frankfort Scott County, Ky Farmer & Stock Raiser

1826

550

Scott, T. W. Duckers Franklin County, Ky Farmer

1843

230

South, Eudora L. Frankfort Gallatin County, Ky Teacher

1876

South, J. K. P. Frankfort Breathitt County, Ky Minister

1859

49

Stedman, A. T. Forks Elkhorn Fayette County, Ky Woolen Manufacturer

1833

6

Suter, B. F. Switzer Owen County, Ky Farmer

1865

Switzer, J. H. Switzer Franklin County, Ky Merchant

1856

Wilson, R. A. Woodlake Franklin County, Ky Farmer

1833

200

Wingate, I. Woodlake Franklin County, Ky Farmer

1834

231

Wood, J. B. Woodlake Fayette County, Ky Farmer & Stock Raiser

1862

236

Wood, J. M. Woodlake Fayette County, Ky Farmer

1862

507

                                                                                                                     

Buck Run Baptist Church
Organized in January 1818, at Isaac Wilson's. Dismissed from the Forks of Elkhorn

Church were:  John and Susanna Price, Isaac and Lucy Wilson, William Forsee and
wife, Frances Castleman, Nancy Triplett, Sarah Head, Lucy Nall, Love Fuler, John,
Elizabeth and Benjamin Taylor, Presley and Fanny Neal, Julius and Elizabeth
Blackburn, John and Catherine Graves, Elizabeth Gatewood, Lewis and Jane Nall. 
Dismissed from the Forks of Elkhorn.  The first church building was located on the
Wilson farm near Spring Station and Georgetown roads.  John Taylor preached
at Buck Run once a month for five years.  Other early ministers were:  William
Hickman, Silas M. Noel, James Suggett, John H. Ficklin, Mordecai and Theodoric
Bouleware and Addison M. Lewis.  In 1888 the building at Spring Station was
taken down and removed to the Forks of Elkhorn.

Calvary Baptist Church
In the late 1940's a group left Buck Run Baptist Church and began Calvary
and located on the opposite side of the creek.  This congregation was
almost directly across from Buck Run.

Providence Baptist Church
In 1855, Buck Run selected B. T. Quinn as pastor.  Evidently, this was not
agreeable to Cadwaller Lewis and twenty-four of the members.  They left
Buck Run and moved a few miles down the road at Woodlake and formed
                                                        the Providence Baptist Church.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                      

Sources
Atlas of Frankfort and Franklin County 1870-1880, by J. L. Drake & Company
Capital on the Kentucky, by Kramer
Church and Family Graveyards of Franklin County, Kentucky, by KGS

Forks of Elkhorn Church, by Ermina Jett Darnell
Frankfort 200 Celebration 1786-1986, by Frankfort's 200 Birthday Historical Research Committee

                          

                                             


BACK TO COMMUNITIES
HOME


                                                               

All information submitted to and published at this site is intended for research purpose only. It may not be reproduced for
COMMERCIAL publication without the written consent of the creator. Although public records are not subject to copyright law,
the design of format is a personal creation and is subject to the laws of copyright. If you have any questions concerning
the information published on this page or at the Franklin County, Kentucky ALHN website, please feel free to email
me, Anne H. Lee, and I will be glad to address your questions and or comments.

© 1999 - 2010 Anne H. Lee

[Image]