Welcome to Franklin County, KY History

Historic Homes and Buildings


Love House

Thomas Love served in the Revolutionary War under General Anthony Wayne.  After the war he settled permanently in Frankfort were he and his wife, Elizabeth Young Love were the proprietors of the Love House. The Love House was built in 1784, by James Wilkinson at the southwest corner of Wilkinson and Wapping Streets. Built of log with two stories it was an impressive home for the time. Wilkinson's wife refused to live in the untamed river town, so Wilkinson relinquished use of the house to the state for seven years. In November 1793, the second session of the legislature met in the house. After the state no longer had use of the house, it was occupied by Andrew Holmes.  For the next seventy five years the house was operated as a tavern known as the Love House. The Love House was razed in 1870.

In a capital town as Frankfort, the need for taverns and boarding houses to provide homes for legislators and other political business is a must. The Love House became a popular establishment for legislators and notables.  Aaron Burr, Marquis de Lafayette, Henry Clay and Philip Nolan stayed at Love's on their visits to Frankfort.

Through the county various religious denominations were organizing meeting houses.  However, Frankfort had no established church.  In 1810, Mrs. Margareta Brown, wife of Senator John Brown and Mrs. Elizabeth Love, wife of Thomas Love organized the first Sunday school west of the Allegheny Mountains.  Classes met in the garden of the Liberty Hall when weather permitted and in the drawing room during bad weather.  The ladies classes were intended for the spiritual education of the children.

Thomas and Elizabeth Love had children; George W. Love, who died young, Harriet Love, Mary B. Love and James Young Love, the only son to live to maturity.  He who joined Captain Dudley's Company during the War of 1812. It is said, that Elizabeth Love was filled with grief when her son enlisted.  She prepared, with her own hands, the uniform that he wore. Elizabeth Love, widow of Thomas Love, died on January 19, 1846 and was the first person buried in section N of the Frankfort Cemetery. Today her tombstone is broken in half, most of the lower half is in the ground.  The birth date, February 4, 1767 is barely legible. When Thomas Love died of where he is buried is not known.

                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                        

Sources:
The Capital On The Kentucky, by Kramer
History of Franklin County, Kentucky, by L. F. Johnson
The Frankfort Cemetery . . . in Kentucky, by KGS
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                          


BACK TO FRANKFORT
BACK TO HISTORIC HOMES
HOME


All information submitted to and published at this site is intended for research purpose only. It may not be reproduced for
COMMERCIAL publication without the written consent of the creator. Although public records are not subject to copyright law,
the design of format is a personal creation and is subject to the laws of copyright. If you have any questions concerning
the information published on this page or at the Franklin County, Kentucky ALHN website, please feel free to email
me, Anne H. Lee, and I will be glad to address your questions and or comments.

© 1999 - 2011 Anne H. Lee

[Image]