Welcome to Franklin County, KY History
  • Home                                                 

  • Communities                                        
  • Graveyards                                       

Early Settlers

JAMES W. CARTER
Operated a mill at Switzer and was
a grain dealer in the area.

Charles Patterson
In 1795, he petitioned the Franklin
County court for permission to
build a grist mill on north Elkhorn.
He and his wife, Elizabeth, resided
at Elk Hill.  

George Patterson, nephew of
Charles, came to Franklin County
in 1801.  He build a stone house
on north Elkhorn.


VALENTINE SWITZER
He came to Franklin County prior
to 1801 from Switzerland and
settled on north Elkhorn.

Church and Graveyards

BARTLETT-FEATHERSTON GRAVEYARD
This small graveyard is located off
Switzer Road near the railroad
track.

Gallahue Cemetery
Only one stone is visible.  Other
members of the Gallahue are known
to have been buried there.  The
cemetery is located on Switzer
Road about two miles from the Forks
of Elkhorn near Lucas Lane.

NORTH FORK BAPTIST CHURCH    
Established in 1801 by William
Hickman and George Eve.

NORTH FORK CHURCH CEMETERY
Located beside the North Fork Baptist
Church is sometimes called the Switzer Cemetery.

Switzer

The community of Switzer is located on the north fork of the Elkhorn Creek
in western Franklin County, just a few miles from the Scott County line.

The area began settlement in the late 1790's when Charles Patterson built
a grist on the north Elkhorn.  By 1801, Valentine Switzer, John Carter and
others were making their homes along the the north Elkhorn.  In April of 1801,
a small group from the Forks of Elkhorn Church, along with William Hickman
and George Eve established the North Fork Baptist Church.

In later years, John Switzer descendant of Valentine, became the proprietor
of the local store and was in charge of the Post Office at Switzer.  When
the railroad came to the area in 1885, this community north of Elkhorn was
named Switzer for the family that had settled there in the early 1800's.

By the mid 1850's the community along the Elkhorn had grown.  There
was need to cross the creek for travel to Woodlake and Scott County without
traveling back to the forks.  In 1855, a bridge was built.  The BRIDGE has
become a focal point of the community.  Annual festivals are held at the
bridge where crafts, good food and fellowship are enjoyed.  The Elkhorn
Bridge is only one of a few that still exist in Kentucky.

In the late 1920's, The Cardinal, a self-powered, one car passenger,
freight and mail car ran the tracts between Frankfort and Paris.  It became
known as the "dinkey".  In 1952, the F & C discontinued passenger
service to Switzer.

Today, the depot is gone, the train no longer runs and no stores exist
in the Switzer Community.  The area has become ruarl residential with
many residents working in Frankfort, Georgetown and Lexington.
                                                                                                                                                                                                             

Sources:
Capital on the Kentucky, by Kramer
Church and Family Graveyards of Franklin County, by KY Genealogical Society
History of Franklin County, Kentucky, by L. F. Johnson
The Kentucky Encyclopedia, by Kleber


BACK TO COMMUNITIES
HOME


All information submitted to and published at this site is intended for research purpose only. It may not be reproduced for
COMMERCIAL publication without the written consent of the creator. Although public records are not subject to copyright law,
the design of format is a personal creation and is subject to the laws of copyright. If you have any questions concerning
the information published on this page or at the Franklin County, Kentucky ALHN website, please feel free to email
me, Anne H. Lee, and I will be glad to address your questions and or comments.

© 1999 - 2014 Anne H. Lee

[Image]