Creek Baptist Church
Maple Creek by Carl Valente
Generously transcribed and submitted by
Nancy Bray, thanks Nancy!
The following information was taken from the minutes of a meeting held in
1833, when Short Creek Baptist church was instituted. The spelling and
punctuation have not been changed.
Councel held at Short Creek Skool House by a number of breathren on the 26th day
of October of A. D. 1833. Helpers preasent from the following church to
wit: Grassy Creek-Christian Tomlin and Thomas Loomas; Banks of Lickin-William
Arnold; of New Point Pleasant-William Myres and Zachriah McCoy.
Articles of faith we do agree to unite and constitute a church up from the
scriptures of the Old and New Testiment as the only infalible rule of faith and
practis and from them we learn as follows; 1) that there is one true and liveing
God made known to us as Father, Son and Holy Gost and to us mysteriously united
but equal in power essence, and eternity 2) and that now has fallen
from his primevael rectitude and is a pore depravde being. 3) Salvation
by grace, baptism and being by immersion upon a profession of ther faith and in
the final persiverience of Saints through grace to glory. 4) That
Jesus Christ will Jedge the wurld at the last day when a resurrection of the
dead shall take place and the wicket shall be sent into everlasting punishment
and the righteous taken to life eternal.
RULES OF DECORUM
copied from oldest minutes-spelling and punctuation have not been changed.
1. Church meeting shall be opened by divine worship then a moderator shall
be chosen if there is none present, whose duty it shall be to state all
questions and take the vote of the church but shall not be intitled to vote
unless the church be equally divided and then he shall give deciding vote and
the moderator shall first inquire if anything has occured to mar the peace of
the church that has bin attended to gospel order and he shall have the liberty
of calling any member to order.
2. Refference to be attended to if there be any.
3. All matters of trespass to be attended to agreeable to the eighteenth
chapter of Saint Matthew's gospel.
4. In case of public transgression a public acknowledgement will be
5. Members in speaking to the church shall arise from their seats and
address the moderator in a brotherly manner.
6. No member shall speak more then three times on one subject without
leave of the church.
7. All business shall be decided by a majority except choosing church
officers and receiving and dismissing members which shall by by the unanimous
vote of the church.
8. We do agree to contribute for the support of the church according to
what the Lord has blessed us with and fill our seats at our church meetings when
9. We do agree to commune twice a year to wit in the months of May and
10. A doore shall be opened for the reception of members.
1833 - On October 4, the Regular Baptist Church was constituted. The
church had a total of six members. They were: Alexander Monroe,
Patience Eggleston, Deborah Jaynes, Amos Egleston, Amanda Eddleston and Anna
Monroe. These six people developed the following "Articles of
1. We do agree to be united upon the Scripture of the old and new
testament as the only infallible rule of faith and practice and from them we
learn as follows: that there is one living and true God known to us as
Father, Son and Holy Ghost and to us mysteriously united but equal in power,
essence and eternity.
2. That man has fallen from his primeval state and has become a poor
depraved being and entirely a dependent creature upon God an independent
3. Salvation is by grace, baptism by immersion.
4. We do believe in receiving members on a relation of their experience of
5. We do believe in the final perserverance of the saints through grace to
6. That Jesus Christ will judge the world at the last day when the
resurrection of the dead will take place and the wicked shall be cast into
everlasting punishment and the righteous into like eternal.
The group first met in a log school house near the waters of the Short Creek.
The church's first pastor was Bro. Christian Tomlin.
Bro. Alexander Monroe became he first clerk elected by the church.
1837 - Amos Eggleston became the church's first deacon.
1840 - A house of hewn logs was built near a spring on one of the tributaries of
the Short Creek. This land was then owned by Bro. Amos Eggleston and is
now owned by Brother James Monroe. The cost of the house was about $15,
outside material and labor furnished by the church.
The church ordained its second deacon, Bro. Asa Eggleston.
1842 - 1849 During this time, the church had three ordained
ministers as members. They were: William Myers, Amos Eggleston and
James M. Arnold.
1851 - A great revival was held by Bro. A. W. Mullins, Thomas and Martin Loomis
and Amos Eggleston. Forty-one professions of faith were made, each leading
to baptism and uniting with the church.
Now needing a larger building, the church decided to relocate to the
intersection of Highway 22 and Fishing Creek Road. The 50' X 60' building
was made of hewn logs at a cost of about $75.
Bro. A. W. Mullins was called as pastor.
1852 - The congregation moved to the new building and entertained the Southern
1855 - Bro. Thomas Loomis was called as pastor.
1856- Elders John Lee and Paschall Hickman Todd led in another great revival.
Thirty-six people were baptized and became members of the church.
1857- The church called Bro. T. S. Greathouse as its pastor.
1858 - Elder J. R. Barbee was called as pastor.
1859-1862 - During the years of the Civil War the church made little progress.
Bros. M. M. Arnold and T. S. Greathouse served in the pulpit, in lieu of a
regular pastor. These were trying times.
1869 - Bro. J. N. Barbee became pastor.
1871 - Bro. Martin Loomis wa called as pastor.
1873 - Bro. Charles Aulick began as pastor.
The church built a new house of worship, where the church now stands. The
building cost approximately $2,000.
1874 - The new church was dedicated.
1875 - Rev. Charles Bagby was called as pastor.
1876 - Bro. J. R. Barbee became pastor.
1877 - Bro. M. M. Arnold returned as pastor.
Bro. Alfred Riley, who had served the church for twenty-five years as clerk,
died. Bro. J. W. Moore was elected to succeed him.
Bro. Sanford Billiter was ordained to the gospel ministry.
1878 - The congregation, once again, called Bro. J. R. Barbee to pastor.
1879 - Bro. W. H. Cram was elected as clerk, beginning eighteen years in this
During the history of the church we see evidence of what was known as the annual
call. At the end of each year, the church voted whether or not they want a
new pastor. It was not uncommon for the previous pastor to recommend a new
man and at time the church had two pastors sharing responsibilities.
1880 - Bro. J. H. Summy was called as pastor.
1881 - Bro. Thomas Stevens began serving as pastor.
1882 - J. M. Mockbee and G.W. Ballinger were ordained as deacons.
1883 - M. M. Arnold was called as pastor.
During this pastorate, we notice a change in the name of the church from the
Regular Baptist Church of Christ at Short Creek to the Baptist Church of Christ
at Short Creek.
1886 - N. C. Pettit became the new pastor.
1888 - William McMillin began serving as pastor.
1890-1893 - These years were later to be described as the "lowest ebb of
the church both spiritually and financially".
During this period, as well as in other times, there were many examples of
church discipline. Some reason for being excluded from the church were
drinking, swearing, playing cards, and dancing. In order to be
restored, the excluded member would have to make a public apology and request
1893 - Bro. T. J. Marksberry was pastor.
1895 - The church spent $600 to make much needed repairs.
1896 - This was recorded as a great year for the church.
Bro. Marksberry and Bro. M. M. Arnold held a three-week meeting. Thirty
professions of faith were made and ten people restored.
1897 - The church ordained five new deaons; S. M. Daugherty, G. W. McMillin,
James Isabel, Theodore Blackburn, and W. H. Cram.
1898 - Theodore Blackburn was elected as clerk.
1900 - Bro. M. M. Arnold died. Bro. Scot was called as pastor.
1903 - Sister Emma G. Arnold was elected as clerk.
1904 - Rev. Lafayette Johnson was chosen to be pastor.
1905 - Rev. E. J. King served as pastor.
1908 - John E. Monroe was elected clerk.
On May 5, the church was struck by lighting and burned to the ground. The
church had no insurance, so it was a total loss.
The church met in a hall, then owned by E. E. Ewing. Members raised
enough money to build the present building at a cost of $2,700.
1909 - On May 23, the new building was dedicated.
1910 - Bro. Elmer Lucas was called as pastor.
Bro. Charles Conrad was ordained.
1913 - Bro. Charles Conrad became pastor.
1917 - Bro. William Fletcher and L. R. Marquette were ordained as deacons.
The church went to half-time.
The pastor was Paul C. Luttrell.
1918 - The church elected Cora V. Clinger as their clerk.
1919 - A great revival was held. Twenty-one people were saved and seven
people were accepted by letter.
Hazel Ballinger was elected clerk.
Bro. J. M. Ballinger, W. L. Chiles and John E. Monroe were ordained as deacons.
1921 - Another great revival was held.
Sixteen members were added to the roll.
1922 - In July, during a revival, Bro. H. C. Chiles was licensed to preach.
1923 - Bro. H. C. Chiles was ordained by the church.
1926 - The church called C. S. Ellis to pastor.
1928 - Rev. E. Keevil Judy was pastor.
1930 - Bro. Chiles held a revival where fifteen people were added.
1931 - Rev. N. B, Osborne became pastor.
1933 - On October 29, the church celebrated its centennial.
H. W. Seever and W. W. Wormoth served as pastors. Services were held on
the second and fourth Sundays only.
1936 - In August, Bro. J. L. Monroe and Bro. Lewis Conrad was ordained.
1940 - Bro. George Bond was called as pastor.
The church voted to have the building wired for electricity.
1941 - Gordon Walters and James Chiles were ordained as deacons.
In July, the first Vacation Bible School was held with Turner Ridge Baptist
Church at the Goforth School.
1943 - In January, the church returned to full-time services, during the
pastorate of Bro. H. R. Bills.
On July 16, lightning struck the church belfry and all electrical wiring was
1944 - James Chiles became clerk.
1945 - In February, the church approved a letter that was sent to their
representatives and senators, expressing support for a National Wartime
Bro. D. P. DeHart served as pastor.
1946 - more letters were written.
1947 - Bro. Kurtley Jolly became the pastor.
1948 - Letters supporting prohibition were once again written.
1950 - A building fund was organized for the purpose of remodeling and building
Sunday School rooms.
The work was completed this same year, at a cost of $2,375.
Bro. Gano Morris and Bro. Roscoe Thornberry served the church.
1951 - Bro. Gano Morris was pastor at Short Creek.
1952 - Bro. Roscoe Thornberry served the church as pastor.
1953 - Bro. Wesley Crenshaw was called as pastor.
On January 7, a parsonage fund was established. The church took 5% of
their offering and designated it for the parsonage.
1955 - Bro. George White was called as pastor.
1957 - Bro. Charles Saylor was called as pastor.
1958 - In April, Ivan Wolf was accepted as an active deacon by the church.
1959 - Storm windows were purchased and installed.
In July, the church began having Wednesday night services.
Rev. R. C. Kidwell became pastor.
1960 - The church voted to purchase the Perry farm, which included a house and
3/4's of an acre, for $7,500.
1962 - Bro. M. L. Underwood was pastor.
In December, the parsonage was destroyed by fire. Members of the church
united and furnished clothes, some furniture, and money for the pastor and his
1963 - The church voted to build a parsonage. It would be a red brick home
with a full basement, costing $13,000.
1964 - In March, the church ordained Dawson McNay, James Monroe and Tommy
Ammerman as deacons.
1965 - Bro. Howard Byers was pastor.
In August, the church was painted, and had a new roof placed on it.
1966 - A homecoming service was held.
1969 - Bro. Howard Reuter served as pastor.
1970 - Bro. Leonard Harmon became the pastor.
On April 12, the parsonage mortgage was paid in full.
1971 - In June, the church received a generous gift from the estate of John and
Beulah Monroe. The Church voted to use some of this money to purchase a
new piano and organ. The present organ and piano were then purchased for
1972- Aluminum siding was purchased for the church.
1974 - Bro. Tommy Wright served as pastor.
1976 - New front doors were installed.
Bro. Willie Ailstock was called as pastor.
Becky Chiles became clerk.
1977 - The pews in the church were refinished.
1978 - Cushions were purchased for the pews.
Full carpeting was installed for $2,107.
All of these improvements were made without any money being borrowed.
1980 - The church voted to remodel the church with partial paneling and drywall,
new ceiling tiles, light fixtures, vestibule doors and outer doors, and
Bro. Floyd Blake became the pastor.
1981 - In December, Ray Chiles, David Hess and Barry Napier were ordained
1982 - In April, the church began submitting a weekly article of church related
information to the Falmouth Outlook.
In August, Bro. Albert Harris was called as pastor.
In October, shrubs were purchased for the front of the church.
A committee was appointed to investigate the possibility of building an addition
to the building.
1983 - Ann Ammerman became clerk.
On August 14, the church approved plans to build an addition onto the existing
facility and to install a baptistery for a total of $29,701.17.
On September 18, a ground-breaking ceremony was held.
As of this time, Short Creek Baptist Church had had a total of fifty-five
pastors, had ordained thirty-seven deacons and had elected sixteen clerks.
1983 - On September 23, construction began on the new church addition.
On Sunday, October 23, the church celebrated its 150th anniversary with two
hundred fifty-five in attendance. The weather was wet and dreary, but it
did not dampen the people's spirits.
1984 - In January, the frame and roof were completed.
On April 8, the first Baptismal Service in the new baptistery was held.
On Easter Sunday, April 22, the first Sunday School classes were held in the new
1985 - A dedication service was held on September 29.
Total cost of the new addition was reported being $40,750.10. The day the
dedication service began, the church was $8,600 in debt. As a result of
the offering that day, the church was completely debt free with an extra $1,000
to use as the church saw fit.
1986 - During April 20-27, a "Good News America, God Loves You"
revival was held simultaneously with other area Baptist churches. Committees
were formed and one hundred ten un-churched families were contacted in the Short
Bro. A. B. Colvin was the evangelist.
Ten people came to know the Lord.
Marty Hess painted a picture of Short Creek Church in memory of his Grandmother,
Ruby Hess. The picture hangs in the hall at the church. Various
members of the church donated hymnals in Ruby Hess's memory.
On November 2, Bro. John Elmore was called to pastor.
1987 - On October 18, the church's 154th homecoming anniversary was held.
1988 - Short Creek ordained Keneth Tatum as its 37th deacon.
The church participated in "World Mission Conference:.
1990 - Another simultaneous revival, "Here's Hope, Jesus Cares For
You" was held.
Bro. Harland Avera was the evangelist and ninety homes were contacted.
1991 - On June 23, Bro. James Chiles was honored for serving the Short Creek
Church faithfully as a deacon for fifty years.
The church purchased additional land lying on the west side of the church
building. This same year, the rock wall was reconstructed.
1992 - A scholarship fund was established in memory of Mary Elmore at Clear
Creek Baptist College. * Mary Elmore had made a beautiful nativity scene which
was given to the church in her memory.
The church, once again, participated in "World Mission Conference".
Short Creek gives eleven per cent of its general income to the co-operative
program. This year the church gave $3,849. Special offerings for all
other missions were $3,202.
The association honored Short Creek for having seven baptisms. This was
fifth in the association.
1993 - Lillian Ballinger was honored for being the oldest living member of Short
In August, five adults and seven youth were sent by the church to Ridgecrest.
On September 12, Short Creek voted to install central air-conditioning.
A very unusual, unique and effective Youth Revival was held during September
17-19. Bro. Dave McQueen from Clear Creek led the revival and four
youths accepted Christ and joined the church.
(Nancy's note: * Mary Elmore was the granddaughter of Ada Yeager Miller)
Short Creek has had its share of financial problems through the years. For
example, in 1903, the record indicates that a financial committee of the church
asked that each member pay to the church a monthly offering which was assessed
to defray all the expenses of the church. The assessments ranged from 5
cents to 75 cents per month.
Amount in treasury
Amount due pastor
Amount due housekeeper
Total Amount Due
Collected by budget
Received in general fund to September
Expenses to September
Pastor's salary to September
Received in general fund to September
Expenses to September
Pastor's salary to September
M. M. Arnold
1861-1868, 1877, 1883-1886, 1890-1893
T. S. Greathouse
J. R. Barbee
1858-1859, 1876, 1878-1879
J. N. Barbee
J. H. Summy
N. C. Pettit
T. J. Marksberry
J. A. Hensley
W. H. McMillen
E. J. King
A. K. Johnson
Paul C. Luttrell
W. S. Bullard
C. S. Ellis
E. Keevill Judy
N. B. Osborne
H. W. Seever
W. W. Wormoth
G. L. Keller
H. R. Bills
D. P. DeHart
R. C. Kidwell
K. L. Underwood
John Elmore, Sr.
S. M. C. Blackburn
T. M. Arnold
G. W. Ballinger
H. T. Clinger
S. M. Daugherty
G. W. McMillen
W. H. Cram
N. H. Ellis
L. R. Marquette
L. E. Conrad
J. M. Ballinger
W. L. Chiles
John E. Monroe
Louis Conrad, Sr.
J. L. Monroe
James A. Chiles
ORDAINED AND LICENSED AS MINISTERS BY THE CHURCH
M. M. Arnold
Charles L. Conrad
T. S. Greathouse
J. M Arnold
J. T. Daugherty
LICENSED AS MINISTERS NOT ORDAINED BY SHORT CREEK
J. C. Chalfant
C. M. Fletcher
ORDAINED AS MINISTER BY THE CHURCH
R. C. Kidwell
J. W. Monroe
L. E. Conrad
Cora V. Clinger
S. M. C. Blackburn
W. H. Cram
Emma G. Arnold
John E. Monroe
Ammerman. Mrs. Pete
Ammerman, J. D.
Ammerman, Mrs. J. D.
Ammerman, Anna Mary
Ammerman, Margaret F.
Antrobus, J. C.
Arnold, John A.
Arnold, Marcus M.
Arnold, Tilbery M.
Arnold, George W.
Arnold, M. M.
Arnold, A. J.
Arnold, John, Jr.
Arnold, Rev. J. M.
Arnold, James, Jr.
Arnold, R. Risk
Arnold, E. A.
Arnold, T. M.
Arnold, Emma G.
Arnold, Emma M.
Arnold, J. J.
Arnold, Charles, Sr.
Arnold, B. F.
Arnold, William F.
Arnold, John Sr.
Arnold, Mrs. E. B.
Arnold, F. Leslie
Arnold, Mrs. Leslie
Arnold, E. B.
Ashcraft, Odella H.
Ashcraft, John H.
Aulick, Linda P.
Bailey, Charles C.
Ballinger, George W.
Ballinger, J. W.
Ballinger, J. M.
Ballinger, R. F.
Barnard, Mrs. J. P.
Barnard, J. P.
Belew, J. W.
Bentle, Judy Roberts
Billitter, Sarah Ann
Bills, Rev. H. R.
Bills, Mrs. H. R.
Blackburn, Mary L.
Blackburn, Emila E.
Blackburn, B. T.
Blackburn, S. M. C.
Blackburn, Ettie M.
Blackburn, Anna L.
Blackburn, Mary Ann
Blake, Floyd Jr.
Blake, Floyd Sr.
Brown, Ethel Louise
Bush, William P.
Byers, Rev. Howard
Chalfant, J. C.
Chandler, John W.
Chiles, Mary Frances
Chiles, J. M.
Chiles, Mary Ellen
Clinger, J. F.
Clinger, C. D
Colvin, Harold William
Conrad, L. E.
Conrad, Tom L.
Conrad, Frank W. Jr.
Conrad, Louis Jr.
Conrad, Tom Frank
Conrad, Emma Grace
Conrad, Alma Jean
Cooper, R. C.
Cooper, Emma G.
Cooper, Mrs. Donald
Corcey, Elonza D.
Courtney, Charlie Lee
Cram, Willard G.
Cram, W. W.
Cram, Mary Ophelia
Cram, W. G. Jr.
Cram, W. H.
Crenshaw, Rev. Wesley
Crenshaw, Mrs. Wesley
Crouch, Mrs. Will
Cummins, G. W.
Davis, James Jr.
Decoursey, Samuel E.
Decoursey, T. E.
DeHart, Rev. D. P.
DeHart, Mrs. D. P.
Dember, Elen Culer
Denny, E. B.
Denny, Cora Jones
Dougherty, O. S.
Dougherty, Norven G.
Draper, Richard B.
Draper, G. A.
Dudgeon, J. A.
Earls, Mrs. Goebel
Eggleston, Asa B.
Eggleston, Samuel L.
Eggleston, Nancy J.
Eggleston, Amanda E.
Eggleston, Mary B.
Ellis, N. H.
Ellis, Mary B.
Ewing, Elmer Sr.
Ewing, Elmer Jr.
Fletcher, William Ellis
Fogle, Mary Brandt
Ford, Peter L.
Fornash, Sam Jr.
Fornash, Mrs. Sam
Frankes, Nancy M.
Frederick, W. M.
Frederick, Mrs. W. M
Frederick, Mary Rose
Gardner, James H.
Garret, Mrs. Wade
Glackman, Laura H.
Greathouse, T. T.
Green, Nancy M
Green, Elizabeth Ann
Gulick, William T.
Gulick, Thomas Jr.
Hadley, R. S.
Harmon, Rev. Leonard
Harris, Rev. Albert
Hemmingway, Nancy J.
Hemmingway, Peter D.
Hemmingway, Sarah C.
Hess, Margaret Haubner
Highfield, T. S.
Hihill, Ursala M.
Isabel, Molly A.
Jenkins, M. C.
Johnson, Rev. A. K.
Johnson, Mrs. A. K.
Jolly, Rev. Kirtley
Jolly, Eula Mae
Jones, G. W.
Keller, Rev. Gordon L.
Keller, Mrs. Gordon L.
Kendrick, N. W.
Kidwell, Rev. Richard
Kidwell, Elizabeth Ann
Lawson, H. G.
Lawson, Edna Mae
Lipscomb, Frank Sr.
Loomis, J. W.
Lovelace, Eliza Jane
Lovelace, Mollie M.
Luttrell, Rev. Paul
Mains, R. L.
Marquette, John Jr.
Marquette, J. J.
Marquette, F. G.
Marquette, Ada Louise
Marquette, L. M.
Marquette, Lois Jr.
Marquette, Mary Lena
Marquette, Mary Emma
Marshall, F. W.
Marshall, Nancy J.
Martin, Robert H. Jr.
Martin, George H.
Mason, Mrs. G. F.
McMillin, Mary Ann
McMillin, Dr. George
McMillin, Mrs. Homer
McNay, Elizabeth F.
McNay, C. F.
Monroe, Lucy Elen
Monroe, George Sr.
Monroe, John W.
Monroe, J. W.
Monroe, Alexander Jr.
Monroe, Emma C.
Monroe, John E.
Monroe, George Jr.
Moore, W. F.
Moore, Virginia B.
Moore, Charles D.
Morris, Rev. Gano
Morris, Mrs. Gano
Murrell, Mary E.
Myer, William Jr.
Pain, Margaret Ann
Perry, Margaret Ann
Philips, Eliza L.
Porter, William W.
Porter, Will Ryle
Pribble, B. M.
Race, Mrs. William
Reuter, Rev. Howard
Rose, Harry Lee
Rose, Effie Jane
Rose James R.
Rule, Lucy E.
Said, James Jr.
Said, Mary P.
Sanders, L. M.
Saylor, Rev. Charles
Salor, Mrs. Charles
Seever, Rev. Harold
Seever, Mrs. Harold
Simpson, W. A.
Smith, B. R.
Soden, C. W.
Somers, J. W.
Souder, Joe Mike
Southard, George W.
Spaulding, William E.
Spicer, Mellissa Eckler
Stephens, Mary L.
Stephenson, Sarah Ann
Stephenson, William C.
Streeter, Hanah L.
Stroud, Mary J.
Summers, G. W.
Taylor, Sam Sr.
Taylor, Sam Jr.
Thornberry, Rev. Roscoe
Thornberry, Mrs. Roscoe
Thorton, Sarah M.
Tomlin, E. B.
Tutor, Mrs. Oliver
Underwood, Rev. Ken
Underwood, Mrs. Ken
Walthers, Leslie Jr.
Walthers, Leslie Jr.
Webster, Ann Jones
Whaley, Sheila Ward
White, Rev. George
White, Mrs. George
White, Eva E.
Williams, Sara Jane
Williamson, Mrs. Mark
Winkle, Mary E.
Winkle, Anna Lee
Wormoth, Rev. W. W.
Wormoth, Mrs. W. W.
Wright, Mrs. Virgil
Wright, Rev. Tommie
Return to "Memory