The Histories of Several Communities in Pendleton Co.
"The First 200 Years of Pendleton
County" by Mildred Bowen Belew
for letting me post this wonderful data!
Some of the first settlements in Pendleton County were: Falmouth,
settled by the Wallers, Cook, Montjoy, Sternes, Sinks and others.
Grassy Creek, settled by Thrasher, Belew, Mann, Morris, Hensley,
Daugherty, Vastine, and others. Unity or Jag, settled by Lightfoot,
Crain, Brown, Barton, Johns, Arnold, Conrads and others. Fork Lick,
settled by Collins, Ewing, Fogle, Henry, Conyer, Thompson, Thomas,
Dance, Hand, Draper and others. Snake Creek, settled by Hardin,
Edwards, Stone and others. Blanket Creek, settled by Wallers, Monor,
Williams, Watson, Clark and Forsythes. Willow Creek, settled by Vaughn,
Griffin and Brownings. Flour Creek, settled by Taylor, Wheeler, Barton,
Beckett and others. Main Licking, (Boston Station area) settled by
Griffin, Bucker, Ellis, Shoemaker, Taylor, Mullins, Kirby, Webb, Bonar,
Duckers and others. South Licking Grove, settled by Wycoff, Turner,
Sanders, Bryan, Routt, Fugate, Clarkson, Griffin, McCandless, Ewings
and others. Ash Run/Mt. Hope, settled by Burlew/Belew, Ellis, Pribbles
and others. Garnersville, settled by Gardner, Caldwell, Beiglie,
Linder, Irvin, Middleton, Tomlin and Bowens.
Some of the other areas in the county were called - Wyatts Bend,
Wagners Ferry (southeast of Falmouth), Modoc, Gum Lick (southwest of
Falmouth), Blind Buck, Tail Point, Elizabethville (Turner's Ridge),
Worlds Mill, Double Cabins, Purdy's Fork, Holmes Corner, Sander's
Ferry, Walker's Ridge, Dutch Ridge, Clayton (Butler), Lynn (Boston
Station), Irvin Station (Minzie Bottoms), Levingood (Hayes Station),
Stowers (Morgan), Callensville (across the river from Morgan),
Caldwell's Station (on the river between DeMossville and Butler), Sins
Crossing (north of Falmouth), Uma Station (two miles north of
Falmouth), Catawaba, Schuler (Portland), Dividing Ridge (Center Ridge),
Penhurst (Concord), Pea Ridge (Mt. Moriah), Demossville (Hells Half
Boston Station was originally known as Lynn. It was founded by the
Licking River Lumber and Mining Company, whose stockholders resided at
Boston, Mass. The company bought large tracts of timber lands on the
headwaters of the Licking River and floated the logs down the river
loose. They caught the logs at Boston by a series of booms in the
river, connecting one with the other in a line at an angle with the
thread of the stream and landed the logs on the west side of the river
at the mill lot of some 30 acres. The logging and milling was operated
by men from Maine, who settled and raised their families at Boston
Station and inter-married with local Kentuckians. The postoffice for
this area was Merediana until Boston Station was started, then the
Merediana office was discontinued. Gabrial Mullins, a Revolutionary
Soldier, resided here, when he came from Virginia to Kentucky in 1790.
He had a family of ten sons and daughters, all who settled in Pendleton
County and raised their families here. His grave in the Bonar Cemetery
was marked by the Daughter's of the American Revolution in 1937.
Concord was the little town of Penhurst, located four miles east of
Falmouth on Highway 159. It was a very small town, but consisted of
several businesses, a postoffice, saw mill, telephone switch board
service, blacksmith shop and church. Raymond Fields was the postmaster.
The postoffice later became a general store because the postoffice in
Falmouth started making rural deliveries and this postoffice was not
needed. After this change the town became known as Concord and is still
know as Concord to this day. The general store was owned by several
different people, but the last to own it was Richard M. Fields. When he
died he gave it to his son. They would trade candy for arrow heads
which made the children happy. During the Depression the store had to
close. In Concord there was a sulfur spring well. Everyone always said
it smelled like rotten eggs. It is over 200 years old and over 100 feet
deep. (A new bridge was put over the creek in 1982 and the well was
capped.) The blacksmith shop had a great deal of business as in its day
there were only horses. Sometimes there were as many as ten to twenty
horses waiting to be shod. They also made wagon wheels and cutter
plows. The business closed in 1934, but the building still stands. The
saw mill dated back about 200 years. It started with a sash saw pulled
by water power. The Concord Telephone exchange was one of the first in
this part of the county. It had twenty-four plugs. The people rang the
operator and she in turn rang the party you wanted to talk to. It
operated for approximately forty years, when a fire burned it down in
1944. Two small Field girls, Barbara and Velma burned to death in that
fire. After the fire the Bell system took over. The Concord Methodist
Church here is over 75 years old. What once seemed to be a growing town
is now only a church and a few houses. Penhurst could not withstand the
change. With the decrease of business activity and the change of name
to Concord. (Written by Rebecca Ann Fields, 1981)
Caldwell Station was between Demossville and Butler along the Licking
River and the railroad. It was named for William Caldwell on whose land
it was located, mainly for Mr. Caldwell's convenience.
Callensville was across the South Licking River from Morgan, a site of
a village named after Jonathan Callen, a merchant and inn keeper. It
was once known as Littell's Station, after William Littell who lived
there. In this town were several stores, inns or taverns and a race
track where Kentucky thoroughbreds were trained for racing circuits in
Philadelphia, Baltimore and other eastern cities. Many men were
recruited here for the Confederate Army. It was still a town at the
turn of the century. There were six houses, two barns one large
building that housed a saloon, a toll gate, a dance hall, a postoffice
and a general store being run by a Mr. Makemson, a grain mill and a
slave cemetery. Some of the residents that once lived there were Mr. C.
M. Hardin, the Hand brothers, Harry, b. 1809, a school teacher and
James, born 1801, owned the race track. Dr. Minturn, a well known
doctor was raised there and his son Fred. The village was located at
the foot of the hill near the mouth of Fork Lick Creek. The toll-gate
was located at the land fill and was kept by Mrs. Nee Bryone Fugate, a
widow with two daughters. Roger Ewing ran the postoffice. John Callen
ran a hog slaughtering house and the tavern where he lived. It is
believed he had two daughters, Martha who married W. Brann, Margaret
married B. F. Hume and Catherine who married Joseph Moore. Other
residents were; Pierce Hand, Hayne and John Newman, Fred Day and
Charlie Weaver. In 1923 there were but six houses remaining in
Callensville. Three of the six were condemned and one burned. In 1940
there were two houses left and the last one burned 29 February, 1952.
Catawaba was organized by R. B. Bowler, President of "Kentucky Central
Railroad Company", Leslie Combs of Lexington, Kentucky, Thomas L.
Garrand and Charles R. Ilif. about fifty acres of land was laid out for
the town site, with streets, a city park and grounds for a college. In
1860 there was a Baptist Church, two warehouses, two stores dealing in
dry goods, groceries, clothing, furniture, harness and general
merchandise; School #20, and seventeen residents. In 1870 it was still
a thriving town. I. N. Walker ran a general store as did William Hobbs
Company. The school was still there behind the store and was taught by
Professor T. M. Barton. Mr. Walker built for the Gribbles, a store and
depot during the Civil War days. Besides his general store he was an
agent for the Kentucky Central Railroad and Postmaster at that time. He
also erected a large warehouse on the hill back of his store for the
purpose of buying and selling tobacco. After he made his stake in
Catawaba, he sold his store and warehouse to Henry Morton and Son, who
later sold to Charley Peoples and Jasper Yelton Company, partners.
During Peoples time the roller skating struck Catawaba and the rear of
his building was used for a skating rink. Peoples sold to Titus Wright
and Charley Rude, who conducted a general store with the aide of Jim
Heizer and Thomas Hamilton. Wright and Rude moved from Catawaba and
Henry Martin was once again the merchant there. Lawrence Dickerson, Sr.
managed the store for him. John Moss succeeded Dickerson. When
Catawaba's shining star started to grow dim, Marton's stock was sold at
auction in 1894 and the store was framed to be used as a barn.
By Roy Ackman, 1961, as told to the Kentucky Historical Society
This town is one hundred and one years old this year. By an act of the
General Assembly in 1860, DeMossville was incorporated. The trustees
appointed at this time were Aaron Thrasher, H. Hightower, El Mullins,
William Clark and B. F. Cumins. Much detail legislation follows as the
officers of the two to be appointed and elected as well as their
duties. There the records stop and we have no record of who was
therefore appointed officers. An amendment to the Charter was enacted
in 1871, prohibiting the sale of spirituous liquors of malt beverages
within two miles of DeMossville, Campbell County exempt. But why it was
exempt and not Kenton County, no ones knows. However by an act of the
Legislature in 1867, two inspection stations were established in
Pendleton County. They were for inspecting hemp, tobacco and flour. One
station was in Falmouth and the other on the north side of Wolfe Pen
Branch, which empties into Grassy Creek on the lands of Archibald
The Grassy Creek Precinct was established in 1835. The meetings were
held in the house of Richard Mullins on Grassy Creek Hill. Much history
of the community finds its origin around this house. DeMossville had
two saloons, dating from 1850 to 1871. The operators were Pat Collins
and James Oldhouse.
In 1790, Mr. Gabrial Mullins came from Virginia and settled at Boston
Station. His son, Richard Mullins who died in 1860, owned land on the
waters of Grassy Creek consisting of 6,000 acres. In the early 1800's
Richard erected a large brick house on the spot where the present brick
house now stands [Mildred Belew notes that the brick house was torn
down in 1973 and a new brick parsonage built for Grassy Creek Christian
Church, bs] at the junction of State Route 17 and the DeMossville Road.
These bricks were made on the farm and most of the work done by Negro
slaves. The large brick house was razed about 1875 and the present one
erected at the same location, but much smaller.
In 1851, the Masonic Lodge was chartered as DeMoss Lodge, No. 220, at
Grassy Creek community, Pendleton County. The lodge membership marched
to the Grassy Creek Christian Church [Mildred Belew notes that [the
church] then sat near the spot where State Route 17 now crosses the
creek, bs] where Thomas DeMoss delivered the address, then back to the
house of Richard Mullins, where an excellent banquet was served. The
first officers were: C. F. Violette, W. M.; G. B. Mullins, W. S.; S.
Belew, J. W.; A. Thatcher, Sec.; S. Cornelius, Tres.; C. F. Snyder, S.
D.; and G. Mullins, J. D. Other charter members were: J. C. Bonar, John
Wheeler, B. B. Mullins, R. D. Mullins, Matthew Mullins, William Bonar,
Stephen Mullins, B. S. Hensley, Robert McNay, L. T. Record, R. Mullins,
L. S. Shoemaker and L. Cornelius. The period of 1854 to 1861 was spent
in helping defray funeral expenses of destitute brothers and helping
widows and orphans. From 1861 to 1864 the lodge was dormant. The lodge
agreed to repair and to re-roof two upper rooms for a meeting place at
Richard Mullins house, which was proof the that the large house was in
need of repair in 1851. On the 1st. of January 1853, the lodge moved to
Mr. Kendall's building at Lock 4, Butler, Kentucky and agreed to build
a hall. Jonathan Belew donated a lot in DeMossville and a hall was
erected on the south side of the L & N Railroad by Mr. Golden. The
first meeting was held 16 April, 1853 in the new hall. However the
minutes of 20 August, 1853 is the first time the name of DeMossville
was used on the Masonic Records. Therefore we are led to believe that
the lodge and the town are named after Mr. DeMoss. A second lodge was
built by Thomas McMillian in 1913, which the lodge now occupies.
Referring to an early Mill, "One of the life lines of the early
settlers was a mill on which to grind grain for meal and flour." The
rapid flow on the waters of Grassy Creek made a perfect setting for
grist mills. One famous mill was located about 300 yards north of the
old Grassy Creek Church and 125 yards from the creek. The mill-race
started at the location of the East Fork of Grassy Creek.
This once noted grist mill contained a large wooden dam, so constructed
at this junction, to channel the water into the mill-race and the deep
channel on the south side of the church was the starting point if the
mill-race. From there it flowed through the flat lands to the mills,
but this land is now farm land and the race is not exactly visible
except at the church edifice. This mill was constructed very early in
the 1800's, very likely about 1820. It was operated by several
different families, namely; Seymour Race, William Carr and Samuel Cain.
Owing to flood waters and more modern mills being constructed elsewhere
it was discontinued and raised about 1905.
Another mill built by a Mr. Kanapke was located on the east prong of
Grassy Creek, on the land now owned by Frank Bell [Mrs. Belew's note:
Thomas Kelly, bs]. This mill was operated by Hampton Knight in 1864. A
mill on the Middle Fork of Grassy Creek about three fourths of a mile
from the church was operated by James Mullins. This mill fell into
disuse many years earlier than the first one mentioned.
These mills used stone burrs to grind meal or flour. These stones were
hard sandstone, some of which were quarried in the Kentucky mountains.
They range in size from twenty to thirty inches. The grain was ground
by running it through the burrs, one of which was stationary and the
other revolving, thus crushing and grinding the grain.
I have the records of several police sessions of 1880 and after that
date the town ceased to be incorporated. W. S. Clark was the last
police judge. In 1884 the population of the town was 141 and 1900 it
was 113. Today it is 88. During the last twenty years a small village
has developed in Campbell County across the river from DeMossville.
There are now 13 dwellings at this place. They are served by the Butler
post office and the rural mail carrier comes to the Licking River. Also
they have the Campbell County School bus dailey. However, the village
is not counted in the population of DeMossville. It is sometimes
referred to as "Bowlingsville."
The tobacco warehouses were located, one at the railroad station, which
was destroyed by fire about 1925, when it was full of tobacco purchased
by George Oetzel and was on the lot now owned by Ray Reid. Another on
the site of my own dwelling, on the hill above the little iron bridge.
These two are now garages and barns on my farm and that of Alvin
DeMossville was named for a family by the name of DeMoss. Peter DeMoss
was a French emigrant and a soldier of the Revolutionary War. It is
thought that he may have come to America with LaFayette.
Among many other handy shops was a millinery shop, which was about
fifty five yards from the railroad and had every king of hat you could
Near the warehouse above the bridge was a blacksmith shop owned by Jim
Welsher, which is now a large barn. There was another just above this
one owned by Kelly Likener which was torn down in the middle 1900's.
Only on school was built in DeMossville. It was a one room school house
which had primary and high school grades. Two of the first teachers
were John Gosney and Mr. Pfanstiel.
Mr. W. S. Clark owned the depot which contained a post office telegraph
office and a store. The store was burned from a spark from a train.
The first church in Demossville was burned and replaced by a new one in
1935. A family by the name of Moore lived behind the church, known as
the "Old Moore Homestead."
There was a toll gate at the iron bridge going into DeMossville. The bridge still stands but the toll gate is no longer there.
The post office was once in a large house owned by Wilbur Barre McGill,
the postmaster and later moved to a house Mr. Daniel Mann, which he
converted to a post office in 1954, when he was postmaster. It was once
a hotel. This is still used as the post office today. Rural mail was
first carried by horse and buggy.
DeMossville is surrounded by hills, one river and one creek. Before the
railroad was built over 200 people inhabited the town. They had
everything they needed and were very content. Most of them moved away
as the trains came into use.
Falmouth got its charter, 23rd. June 1792 in the First Legislature,
before Pendleton County was organized. However there were citizens
living at the "Forks of the Licking" long before the city was
chartered. John Waller, a Kentucky pioneer man and founder of Falmouth
was representing this area in the Legislature and came home with the
charter. The town is part of 1,000 acres patented to Col. Holt
Richardson for military service in the Revolutionary War as a Virginia
Falmouth was established December 10, 1973, in Woodford County. At the
time of establishment the property was owned by John Cook, William
McDowell, John Waller and possibly others. By virtue of this act,
vested in Noterly Conn, John Hughes, John Cook, John VAnce, Samuel
Cook, Joseph Humes, William Monroe, John Little and George Stanford,
trustees, to be laid out by them into lots of 1/4 acre each with
convenient streets and establish a town by the name of "Falmouth". The
trustees to sell the lots for credit or real money as shall best suit
the proprietors. The purchasers were to hold such lots subject to the
conditions of building a dwelling house, 16 by 16 feet square, with a
brick or stone chimney, to be finished fit for habitation within seven
years from the day of sale. If the purchaser of any lot failed to build
on it within the time limit, the trustees may enter into such lot and
sell it again and apply the money to the use and benefit of the town.
John Waller was a native of Stafford County, Virginia. Perhaps John
Cook and William McDowell were from there also. Falmouth, Virginia was
located in Stafford County, on the left bank of the Rappahannock River
at the foot of the falls, about one mile above the town of
Fredricksburg. It is assumed this is where the name Falmouth came from.
The trustees held their first meeting, Saturday the 12th. of April,
1794 at the house of John Humes. He and his family were from Culpepper
County, Virginia. At this time it is believed he was living at Morgan
on 100 acres of land on the South Fork of the Licking River, that he
had purchased from John Cook, Jr. and his wife, Winifred. The following
trustees were present for the first meeting: George Humes, Samuel Cook,
John Vance, William Monroe, John Cook and John Waller.
Notley Conn,John Hughes and James Littell who had been appointed by the
General Assembly refused to act so John Hume, John Sanders and John
Ewing were appointed in their stead.
Some of the streets in town have retained their original names, but
many have changed. Shelby Street was once known as Main Cross Street.
Other sections of town were known as Beech Woods, Best Mills, Mount Joy
Branch, which flowed under the "Little Iron Bridge" at the east end of
town, Licks Branch, Happy Hollow, Murphy's Island, Mullins Pond at the
northwest end of town, known as the skating rink, Balsers Corner
northeast corner of Main and Shelby Streets and the Jockey Ring between
Main Street and the Main Licking River bridge. Little Egypt has been
applied to the extreme south eastern section of town and Coleman's
On the 12th. of December, 1794 an act was approved by the General
Assembly to open the Main Licking River for navigation as far up as
Slade Creek. Any person who had a claim, interest or any other
obstruction on the river was to remove them by the first of May, 1775.
John Sanders had a permit to keep a ferry from his land on the South
Fork of the Licking River to the lands of Alvin Montjoy on the opposite
shore. Alvin Montjoy was granted a leave to keep a ferry across the
Main Licking River in lots number 72 and 73. William Anderson
acknowledged bond that he be allowed to keep a ferry from the point at
the Forks of the Licking across the Main Fork and the South Fork to the
opposite shore and named Squire Grant as security.
Gardnersville is a small village in the northwestern part of Pendleton
County, located on Highway 491 and Center Ridge - Gardnersville Rd. It
was a booming village in the late 1800's and early 1900's. In the last
century, at one time or another there were two stores - one being
possibly the largest in Pendleton County at the time, You could buy
anything from fiddle strings to a buggy or jolt wagon. There was a
millinery shop, sewing machine dealer, postoffice, Johnnie Straub
bought the Community Hall where the Odd Fellows and Junior Lodge met
every Tuesday and Friday nights. There were three blacksmith shops,
which gave way to probably the largest farm machinery dealership in
Pendleton County, now Bowens Farm Implements. In the late 1800's there
was a saloon back of the present store, where you could bring your own
bottle and have it filled with whiskey directly from the barrel. It was
later made into a barber shop and run by Mr. Tungate. There was a buggy
shop run by Mr. F. E. Linder, where they manufactured, sold and
repaired buggies. In the early 1900's this shop became an automobile
garage and upholstery shop where you could bring your Model T and other
cars and have a complete new top and side curtains installed with
complete glass windows. At one time there were two doctors, an
undertaker business in a two story house operated by Mr. Helmick. The
first floor was a general store and undertaking business, with the
second floor used for Odd Fellows and Junior Lodge. There is a cemetery
and two churches, Baptist and Christian. There were four tobacco
warehouses, Jim Ervin had one at the corner of Hwy. 491 and Center
Ridge Road. A three story building, Equity Warehouse on the
Gardnersville - Knoxville Road and on e on Hwy. 491 where the Baptist
Church now stands. Also one on Center Ridge Road across from Linders
Warehouse. Most of the tobacco and wool in this area was brought to
Gardnersville and sold. The buyers would buy tobacco in the county,
hang and redry and price the following summer for resale. There were
several wool buyers. About 1890 a school was built on Center Ridge Road
called Simpson School. It was two and one half miles from
Gardnersville, on the old Greenwell place. In 1911 a new school, across
the road from the Christian Church was built to replace the old Simpson
School. It was started as a one room and grew to four rooms with two
years of high school. This school was abandoned when the Portland
Junior High School was built on the other end of Center Ridge Road.
This school was built in the late 1930's and later burned in 1963. Also
there were the Boone and Caldwell Schools located at Caldwell Ridge, on
Hwy. 491. Later there were two automobile garages and at one time or
another four gasoline dealers. Modern times has changed this village
and at the present time there is the two churches and cemetery, one
General Store, and Bowens Farm Machinery. The oldest present member is
Mr. Charles Sherman Beighle, born 24 January 1893 at Gardnersville, son
of Edward and Margaret Calwell Beighle. He was married to Dora Elliot
and Flora Mills. They lived at the edge of town going toward
Crittenden. He is a life time Republican and the oldest member of the
Gardenersville Baptist Church. He is the retired owner of the General
Store in the heart of town. Several owners have come and gone since he
retired in 1947. The Beighle family came from Germany. George Beighle
was killed during the Civil War. He lived in Illinois at the time. His
son, Edward and wife Margaret came to Gardnersville shortly after they
were married. Leonard (Brooker) Bowen was another prominent citizen of
this community, living there or near, all his life. At one time he
owned the General Store and ran a milk hauling and trucking route. He
started the Bowen Farm Machinery Company.
Hayes Station was originally Levingood, named after an old settler. He
was Timothy Hays, a Cincinnati distiller and inventor of an improved
distiller's yeast, which made him a millionaire. He bought the South
Licking bottom land between the railroad and the river and located his
family there. He built the largest distillery ever in the county.
Knoxville was a thriving little town in 1889. There were about thirty
some residents in which lived Dr. J. T. Scott, Charles Morris, S. J.
Ashcraft, A. C. Morris, G. N. Clark. George Stephens, Joseph Webb,
William Hedger, J. H. Johns, Lewis Helmick, Mrs. L. Shady, Mrs. Armilda
Cram, T. Middleton, James Vastine, Lawson Race, James Worster, George
Race, R. Hanks, I. Hahn, Mrs. M. J. Edwards, J. Landrum, Mrs. E.
Ashcraft, T. Ashcraft, L. Pendleton, J. Ashcraft and T. R. C. Schafer.
Mrs. L. Shady ran a hotel known as Knoxville House. There were four
general stores, a postoffice, a school, cemetery, Baptist Church,
tobacco warehouse, a doctor - Dr. J. T. Scott, a physician/surgeon, a
blacksmith - S. J. Ashcraft, stream grist and saw mill operated by A.
C. Morris and a shoe shop operated by H. Dalenburg.
Menzie Station or Bottoms was originally name Irvine Station after
Elisha Irvine and his wife, Sallie (Bonar) Irvine. The first school in
that area was called Irvine School. It was changed to Menzie Station
after Honorable John W. Menzie, for years Chancery Judge of Kenton,
Pendleton and Harrison Counties Circuit Courts. He made his home there.
One of its early residents was Reuben Mullins and his wife, Betsy
(Love) Mullins, a son of Gaberial Mullins. He is buried there in a
family plot on the farm he owned at the time of his death. Menzie
Bottoms is about one or two miles south of Boston Station off Highway
27 in Pendleton County.
Merdinia Station was a local place for supplying wood for wood burning
locomotives. A thriving store was conducted there at one time and a
Morgan was known in the early days as Fork Lick, after a long creek
that enters the river there. The settlement was on the west side of the
Licking River at the mouth of the creek. There were several stores, a
saw mill, grist mill, a tavern, a large tannery, operated mainly by
Thomas L. Garrad and Jonathan Callen. A good race track was maintained
there where local owners and breeders raised Kentucky thoroughbreds.
Morgan was once called Stowers Station or Stowersville in honor of Mr.
Richard Stowers who lived there and was one of the directors of the old
Kentucky Central Railroad Company. One of the oldest houses in this
community was built of stone by John Myers. Fork Lick, a large creek
originating in Grant County empties into South Licking River at Morgan.
The word Lick was used to designate a place where salt was available
for wild game. Several miles up Fork Lick is such a site. In an early
day Tyree Oldham, father of Thomas J. Oldham, leased or purchased the
right to bore a well to make salt at the lick. He bored a hole for some
depth, but abandoned the project because of a disagreement with his
partner. Robert Taylor, from Virginia, came along and purchased the
well. He also purchased a considerable body of land adjoining and
established a health resort called "Gum Lick Springs." It was located
near the creek just west of what is now known as the John Denny Road.
Short Creek was a thriving community in the mid 1800's. There was a
general store, a blacksmith shop, a tobacco warehouse, an ice storage
house, where in the winter ice was cut from ponds and stored in saw
dust for use in the coming summer, a school, a strong Baptist Church,
around which the social as well as religious life centered. There were
two practicing physicians, Dr. Bethel and Dr. N. B. Chipman, who later
moved to Falmouth in 1890. He was also an extensive dealer in tobacco
and operated the Old Tub Fowler Distillery at Falmouth. After Dr.
Chipman left Short Creek, Dr. George W. McMillian and Dr. N. H. Ellis
practiced there. Dr. McMillian went to Covington and Dr. Ellis to
Williamstown. In 1880, a postoffice was established there. Couriers on
horse back generally carried the mail between these community post
offices which were usually in a general store, as there was no Rural
Free Delivery until the turn of the century. The mail department in
Washington discovered there was another Short Creek, Kentucky, so at
the suggestion of Dr. Chipman they changed the name to Goforth, thus
the two names for the community. The first postmaster was Clarence E.
Quick. In the later teens and early 1920's came the general shift from
the horse and buggy tot he automobile for the mode of travel and one of
the first autos in this community was owned by J. T. McNay and Frank W.
Conrad. These early cars had solid rubber tires which made pretty rough
riding over the rock and gravel roads.
One of the outstanding houses at Short Creek was a huge log house built
prior to 1859. It was the home of John R. Wadsworth. At that time some
of this area was almost a wilderness. In 1924 this home was owned by
James Mitchell Ballinger, when the logs when the logs were sold and
moved to Kenton County. It was reconstructed and is still standing near
Pleasure Island on U. S. 17, south of Covington and used as a
Some of the early residents in the early and mid 1800's were: Barton, Monroe, Arnold, Polk, Love, Wadsworth, Conroy,
McMillian, Ballinger, Cooper, Simpson, Fletcher, Fogle, Sheitz,
Ammerman, Highfill, Race, McNay, Justice, Daugherty, Godman, Conrad,
Marquett, Sutton, Berger and Rosentiel.
Uma Station was located about two miles north of Morgan, established
for the convenience of a few local farmers, one of whom was J. C.
Monroe, owner of the adjacent land. This station was used for shipping
livestock to market by Monroe, Henry Hetterman and others.
Wampum is located on the Falmouth and Lenoxburg Road about seven miles
southeast of Falmouth. It is situated on Kincaid Creek which is now a
part of Kincaid Lake State Park. A saw grist and flour mill was
operated there by several men. Among the men who operated the mills
were: Roush Rogers, C. L. Myers, D. C. (Col) Grims and John Wilson.
John Wilson and his wife Elizabeth, operated the mill when their son
Harry Wilson was born in 1893. Harry contracted polio in childhood and
was an invalid for most of his life. He married Alice Curry and had two
sons. The blacksmith shop was last operated by a Mr. Kennedy. In later
years Mr. Myers added a flour mill and at the last moved it to Caddo on
Highway #10. The mill was powered by a sixty foot long steam boiler
which had been purchased in Cincinnati, Ohio, having been used in some
manner to ferry passengers across the Ohio River while the Suspension
Bridge was being built. This boiler was brought to Falmouth by railroad
and then taken overland to Wampum by eight yoke of oxen, driven by Kirk
Hitch, who was a former slave of Robert Hitch. Among those who operated
the store and post offices were Grant Willis, B. B. Thornberry and John
Smith. Prominent families who resided at Wampum were: Roushes,
Westbrook, Rogers, Kavanaugh, Jacob, Myers, Cahill, Harcum, Sharp,
Askren, Newkirk, Cookendorfer, Redmond, Bush, McClanahan, Hurd and
Gotharns. Today there is no business at Wampum and there is fifteen
feet of water over the site where the old mill was located. The salt
well has long since filled up.
Return to Home Page