Wolfe county, formed in 1860, was named for Nathaniel Wolfe. It is located in the Eastern Coal Field region of the state. The elevation in the county ranges from 650 to 1460 feet above sea level. In 1990 the county population was 6,503 in a land area of 222 square miles, an average of 29.3 people per square mile. The county seat is Campton.
Campton, the seat of Wolfe county, was first known as Camp Town and is located on Swift Camp Creek at what is popularly thought to be the site of one of Jonathan Swift's camps. (There are legends going back to the late eighteenth century about Swift's lost silver mine somewhere in the area.) It was chosen as the county seat when Wolfe county was formed in 1860 and the first courthouse, built of logs, was erected at about that time. Campton is served by the Mountain Parkway and KY 15. The Campton post office opened in 1867. The population in 1990 was 484. -info from Kentucky Atlas & Gazetteer
Wolfe County Courthouse
WOLFE COUNTY PUBLIC
Links for Wolfe County related sites
©2001 Debi Houser Kendrick