Home
Up

Town of Seekonk History and Resources

 
The Town of Seekonk was incorporated in 1812 from the western half of Rehoboth and contains rolling hills with extensive swamp acreage in the central portions of the town. During King Philip's war, settlers fled the Seekonk area and took refuge in several garrison houses located south and north of the town. It is conjectured that the buildings in the town suffered severe damage during the war and it was probably after 1676 that settlers started moving back. Two industrial villages developed to supplement the agricultural economy, with such businesses as the Rumford Chemical Works, but what had been the industrial area of the town in the late 18th and early 19th century was lost when East Providence was incorporated in 1862 taking half of the town's territory, two-thirds of its valuation and more than two-thirds of its population. The town remained basically agricultural into the 20th century, although the Kent Manufacturing Company did make tennis racquets and croquet sets on the upper reaches of the Tenmile River. With the opening of the Providence and Taunton street railway in 1891, Seekonk became increasingly a residential suburb of Providence. 

Narrative based on information provided by the Massachusetts Historical Commission

 
Community Profile Jacob Hill Farm B & B
Federal Census, 1850, Seekonk Seekonk Public Library
Federal Census, 1860, Seekonk
Historic Maps Covering Seekonk
History of Seekonk