Chapter 6 - Pages 92-94



(Tune, Auld Lang Syne.)

Come friends and neighbors, kindred all,

To join in sweet accord;

Come Memory, a welcome guest,

Inspire each voice and word,

In praise and prayer and gratitude

To evíry heart and hand

That wrought in love, so skillfully,

This goodly building planned.


Sacred may it forever be

To all, in age or youth,

Who seek to find within its walls

The precious germs of truth.

May wisdomís golden grains abound

To Ďnrich this ancient town;

God of our fathers, let thy love

Each day and labor crown.


The heart goes back to other days

When by yon riverís side

We played, who now are growing gray,

Yet view this work with pride;

May we, when time shall he no more,

Join with the ransomed throng,

Where naught our perfect joy shall mar

In an unbroken song.


The impressive dedication exercises of the morning ended with the benediction.



At the close, the large concourse of people passed from the hail and assembled in social groups, some in the antiquarian room, some in the library, and more out on the ample lawn. One of the articles added to the library that day was a fine revolving book case, presented by Mr. Gustavus B. Peck. An early call to dinner met a ready response, and hundreds of guests passed down into the



cool, dry and well lighted basement, where a most excellent dinner of salads, cakes, ices, fruit, etc., was waiting. After dinner the speakers and invited guests were gathered on the lawn and faced the dread instrument of the photographer. Gathering strength from numbers, not a man forsook his post. The narrator will leave the company to their postprandial diversions, and again turn his attention to biography. As Rev. Mr. Tiltonís directive power was the alpha and omega of the dedication programme, his biography may be appropriately inserted here as the connecting link between the morning and afternoon exercises.



Rev. George Henry Tilton, A. M., son of William Wells and Sarah Ann (Morrill) Tilton, was born in Nashua, N. H., January 31, 1845. Soon after, his parents moved to Concord, N. H., and still later to Hopkinton, where most of his childhood was spent. Besides the district schools, he attended the Contoocook and Hopkinton academies and spent one term at the Rumford Grammar school in Concord, where he enjoyed the faithful instruction of Mr. James W. \Webster. He fitted for college at Williston seminary, Easthampton, graduating in 1866. He graduated from Amherst College in 1870, and from Andover Theological Seminary in 1873. Was ordained at Hopkinton, N. H., June 4, 1873. Afterward he enjoyed a course in medicine in New York city. In 1874 he organized the Central Congregational Church at Attleboro Falls, and remained with the church until the dedication of the new church edifice in May, 1875. Preached at Wolfboro, N. H., from the autumn of 1875 to the summer of 1877, during which period there was an exten




sive revival of religion in the town. On account of exhaustion from overwork he left Wolfboro, and spent several months in rest.

He began his very successful pastorate at Rehoboth in October, 1877, whither he moved January I, 1878. After preaching five years, he was installed over the Congregational Church November 2, 1882. His pastorate has been one of marked success and unusual harmony. In public affairs he has shown the interest of a whole hearted man and a public spirited citizen ó not the least of his enterprises being the building of the Memorial Hall. In a speech that follows a deserved tribute is paid him by one best qualified to speak. He was married June 6, 1876, to Ella Minerva, daughter of Thomas Stanley and Minerva Wheaton (Freeman) Mann, of Attleboro Falls, Mass. They have three children.