Home
Up

Rehoboth and Attleboro. 231 

 

should. Instead of rectifying their error, they made  an angle to a large oak tree known afterward as the Angle Tree. In 1790 the tree was supplanted by a stone with a suitable inscription, which is known as the Angle Stone.

In October, 1694, Attleboro was set off from the mother town. It was so named in remembrance of Attleborough in England; and a small stream in the town is named Bungay for one in the English town. The English names in this section are numerous, keeping  alive the memory of the old places from which the first inhabitants came. ‘The first Attleboro town meeting was on May II, 1696. The boundaries between Rehoboth and Attleboro were established in 1697. The first settler in what is now Attleboro territory was John Woodcock, who built a public house on the old Bay road in North Attleboro. He had a farm of three hundred acres on Ten Mile River. He began his house in 1669 and was licensed in the following year "to keep an ordinary" and enjoined "to keep good order, that no unruliness or ribaldry be permitted there." His house was one of several garrisons built for the protection of the people from the Indians in case of need. There were such garrison houses in Dedham, Seekonk, Swansea and other places. A portion of Woodcock’s still stands at North Attleboro. In 18o6 the house was mainly supplanted by a large three-story building. Woodcock’s son was killed by the Indians during King Philip’s war — in April, 1676. The Indians had attacked the garrison, but the son, Nathaniel, was at work in a corn field with others when the party was fired upon. The workmen fled. The Indians cut off Nathaniel’s head and stuck it on a pole and set it up in front of the house. From this time Woodcock was an implacable enemy, killing an Indian wherever he found one. The son was buried where he fell, and the land today is reserved for a cemetery, with his grave in the centre. The place is now being cleared up, and those engaged in the work have found a stone in the centre, which from its age and position is supposed to be that of Nathaniel Woodcock. Woodcock sold the farm in 1694 to John Devotion for £390. The latter occupied it until 1711 when he

(continued on page 232)