Home
Up

REHOBOTH and ATTLEBORO. 236

from which the village gets its name, in the rear. The building is a massive, five-story stone structure, fitted up with the latest machinery, including one thousand five hundred braiders. One hundred and fifty or more hands are employed, and the output comprises several of the choicest braids known to the trade in cotton, silk and worsted. A branch railroad from Attleboro to North Attleboro was built in 1869 and 1870. It has contributed much to the prosperity of both towns. Two years ago the route in North Attleboro was changed, a new road was laid to Walpole, and communication established with Boston by way of Dedham.

Attleboro is situated on the Providence division of the New York, New Haven and Hartford Railroad, thirty-two miles from Boston and twelve from Providence. It is also connected by rail with Taunton, twelve miles east. An electric road connects it with North Attleboro and Pawtucket, eight miles away, and a branch also runs between Pawtucket and North Attleboro. Its position and other circumstances have given Attleboro certain advantages over its sister town, so that to-day it exceeds it in valuation and population. It is a thrifty-looking place, with large business  blocks, a fine opera house, and many residences which give evidences of wealth and taste, all denoting that the people are intelligent, skilled workers who believe in  keeping their town clean, well ordered and attractive.

The opera house is a decidedly elaborate structure to be found in such a town; hut its owner has looked ahead to the city which must exist in a few years. It was built in 1885 by J. M. Bates, the largest manufacturer in East Attleboro, who is the owner of several factories and who has been prominent in business matters for several years. It stands in Park Square, at the junction of Park and North Main Streets, is most attractive in its architecture, and a valuable addition to the appearance of the town. The main building contains a café, the post-office and stores, and the entrance to the theatre on the first floor; the second floor is fitted for a hotel; the third floor is used by the Odd Fellows and Knights of Pythias, and has one of the finest halls in the state. The entrance to the theatre is broad and lofty, leading to an elegant and spacious lobby. The house, with its gallery, artistically decorated, has a seating capacity of a thousand. The proscenium is a little over thirty feet

 (continued on page 237)