28, 1869. He has been a faithful servant of the
church, and a useful citizen.
The second parish was set off from the first in
April, 1743. In
June of that year, it was voted "to build a house on the plain
where the roads meet or cross each other." Ďlíhe house stood on
the common near the present railroad track in the centre of Attleboro.
It was forty-five by thirty-five feet in area, and high enough for one
tier of galleries.
This common is part of four acres laid out by John Sweet. It was
purchased and a portion of it laid out as a burying ground in 1744. The church stood near two trees which still keep
watch over its resting place. A granite post marks the place of one
corner, and a plate with a suitable inscription placed there by Senator
B. S. Horton notes tile fact. The common itself has been graded and much
improved during the last few years. The old cemetery, known as the Old
Kirkyard, has been curtailed some by taking land for the railroad, but
the most of it remains, holding the ashes of many of the early people of
Rev. Peter Thacher was ordained October 30, 1748. He
had a long and successful pastorate, being dismissed in 1784.
He was succeeded by Rev. Ebenezer Lazell, who in
time was succeeded by Rev. Nathan Holman, who was
ordained October 14, 1800.
He served for twenty-two years, making a marked impress on the life of
the town. Rev. John Ferguson, Rev. Jonathan Crane,
and Rev. Mr. Lothrop came after him, each with an honorable record. In
1866 Rev. Francis N. Peloubet was ordained, and was dismissed in 1871.
He is the well-known author of Peloubetís notes on the Sunday-school
lessons. Rev. Samuel Bell, a man of much force, came next, and after him Rev. William Spaulding and Rev. Walter Barton,
who was dismissed in September, 1893, after very useful work in the
pastorate and in many other ways. His successor is Rev. E. L. House, who
bids fair to maintain the prestige established by his predecessors.
To-day almost every denomination is represented by a substantial church
edifice, with able and earnest pastors.
Church and state were divorced about 1833, up to
which time everybody had to contribute in taxes, according to the
prevailing New England custom, toward the support of the church.
(continued on p. 239)