as early as 1626, the area today known as Peabody was originally part of
Salem called Brooksby Village. Early residents were farmers, but the
abundant streams of Brooksby made it a logical location for industries
requiring water power. By 1668 the tanning business had become well
established, hence the nickname "Tanner City." Brooksby
separated from Salem in 1752 to form the township of Danvers. In the years
following the Revolutionary War, the township flourished and in 1855 the
southern part was incorporated into the separate Town of South Danvers.
Confusion resulted from the similarly named towns, and it was decided in
1868 to rename South Danvers after George
Peabody, the international financier and philanthropist born in 1795
at 205 Washington Street, South Danvers. The population of the town grew
steadily until the town meeting form of government grew too cumbersome. In
1916 the citizens of Peabody voted to become the thirty-seventh city in
the Commonwealth of Massachusetts.
Source: City of Peabody, Massachusetts