History of Springfield, MA
Pages 221 - 255
side Chickuppe river, being to joyne to the said Rowlands own land northerly & to ye highway southerly.
John Dorchester hath granted unto him a little pond contayning two or three acres more or less by ye way to Watchuett meddowes about 3 miles beyond ye mill River, p'vided it prjudice noe highway there about.
Widdy (widow) Bliss hath granted unto her soe much of the pond asis at ye end of her lott in Long Meddow: provided ye Indians be not molested in coming to or gathering of their pease.
Capt. Pynchon having intentions to sett up a saw Mill wthin this Township: for his incouragement in ye work & upon condition yt the saw mill be built uppon ye old mill streame, to all former grants made to him on like accounts. There is further granted him by this Plantation the free use of ye said streame for yt work & free liberty for felling & sawing wt trees he shall please yt are upon ye comons belonging to ye Plantation except such trees as are between the Bay path & Chickuppe River. Also there is by the Plantation granted unto him his heires & assigns thirty acres of land upon the southerly side of ye old Mill streame & neare his said saw mill in the most convenient place yt he shall chuse reserving liberty for highwayes where the Selectmen of this Town shall see meete to lay them.
There is grannted to Obadiah Miller a little piece of meddow conteyning two or three acres upon 3 quarters of a mile from ye meddowes called Non Such upon ye brook yt runs into the great River at ye higher end of Chickuppe playn neer ye head of ye brooke. [III - 159.]
John Clark hath granted unto him ffour acres of wet meddow on ye south side of the Bay path about ffour miles from town, provided it be not already disposed to some other.
John Stewart hath grannted unto him what land shalbe found between his land in the 3d division & ye meddow lotts providing only a highway of one rod broad from ye meddow lotts to ye way through ye 3d division, on yt side of his land next to James Warreners land.
There is grannted to John Bliss ffoure acres of meddow somewhat beyond his six acres formerly grannted, if there be soe much there after George Coltons & Benjamin Cooleyes Grants be measured out.
Peter Swink hath granted unto him twenty acres of land neer block bridge, above Obadiah Millers land.
John Baker hath grannted unto him ffive or six acres of land for a house lott by James Taylor & Thomas Copley on ye playn towards Willm Hunters.
Jonathan Ball hath grannted unto him that peece of land wch lyeth between his land in the third division & the meddow lotts yet not to p'judice any highway: this in reference to one acre & halfe yt is said to be due to his mother on some old account, this grant being in lieu thereof & to satisfy for it & noe otherwise & soe accepted.
John Lamb hath grannted unto him two acres of meddow lying on a dingle or between ye hills or on a gutter yt runs ye easterly branch of the Mill river beyond ye bridge called Goodman Warreners bridge.
Richard Sikes hath grannted unto him a peece of land lying by his former grannt of swamp at ye lower end of Chickuppe playn on ye west side of the great River. And for the convenient lyinge of it & the quantity thereof it is left to ye discretion of the Measurer & Thomas Miller.
James Warrener hath granted unto him that vacant land that is between the front of his third division & the meddow lotts. Also there is granted unto him a little peece of Meddow by his meddow on ye mouth of Small brooke. [III - 160.]
John Petty hath granted unto him eight acres of meddow on Stony Brooke yt is in the way to Windsor & on the West side of the great River. This meddow is to lye on ye northerly branch of yt brook or riverlet & to begin on ye soughwest side of ye meddow. Also there is granted him thirty acres of upland & swamp to ly together somewhere in those quarters as the Measurer & Thomas Miller shall see good. And these grants of land are on condition yt these lands be
not out of the Townes hands by the Generall Court and that he cleare the purchase thereof.
Peter Swink hath granted unto him ten acres of land to lye by his former grannt westerly from block bridge towards Worronoco.
Joseph Crowfoote hath grannted unto him three acres of meddow neere his former grant at the upper end of the pond.
Richard Excell hath grannted unto him ten acres of land at block bridge, & to front with the brook: this grant is not to prejudice highwayes.
Benjamin Cooley hath granted unto him the breadth of two dingles wch lye on both sides his 30 acre lott on ye hill over agt his house in ye Long meddow yt is to say from ye brow of ye hill on ye north side of the upper dingle to ye brow of ye hill on ye south side of ye lower dingle & as far up the dingles as his 30 acre lott reaches.
George Colton hath granted unto him eight acres of meddow on a small brooke beyond ye great meddow but on this side Scantuck river.
Benjamin Cooley hath granted unto him six acres of meddow in ye same place, if soe much be there to be had besides ye grant to George Colton.
John Keepe and Nathaneell Burt have granted unto them ffoure acres a peece on ye same brooke if it be there or else where if they can fynd it.
Thomas Noble hath grannted unto him six acres of meddow on ye small brooke on this side the great meddow on a small branch of yt runneth into Stony brook in ye way to Hadley.
Joseph Crowfoot hath grannted unto him ffive or Six acres of land at ye head of Chickuppe playne on ye west side of the great river wthout ye same along the brooke; provided it prjudice noe highwayes. And hereupon he surrenders up
his grant of meddow upon ye head of yt brook yt comes down by Rice Bedortha.
John Lamb hath granted unto him three or foure acres of meddow on a small brook yt is in ye way to William Warreners meddow on ye left hand of ye way.
Samuell Harman, Joseph Hrman & Samuell Bliss, Jun'r have granted unto them twenty acres of wett meddow on a small brook about a mile & halfe beyond great Wachuett eastward.
George Colton hath grannted unto him ye part of the pond yt lyeth agt his meddow & his strappet of upland & downe to Nathaneell Burts bounds.
Samuell Harman & Joseph Harman have grannted unto each of them thirty acres of upland on this side great Watchuett.
Benjamin Parsons hath grannted unto him two acres of meddow at Cowseek neare John Matthews swamp (as it is usually called) by or neare another grant of his thereabout.
Samuell Marshfield, Miles Morgan, John Leonard & Griffeth Jones have grannted unto them all the swamp agt their meddow over Agawam River, viz: the upper meddow there.
Thomas Mirrack hath grannted unto him twenty acres of upland at ye north end of John Lambs meddow wch lyeth on a small brook twoards W. Warreners bridge.
Joseph Leonard hath twenty acres of land grannted him at the South east end of his former 20 acres by his fathers.
Thomas Mirick hath granted unto him ye upland agt the whole breadth of his pikle over Agawam River & former grants nor highwayes yt may be laid out there. [III - 162.]
Granted to Charles fferry a neck of land yt lyeth betweene Thomas Nobles homelott at Skipmuck & the said Charles his fformer grant there provided the said Charles doe yeeld to ye laying out a highway where it is most convenient.
John Stewart hath grannted unto him ye lott wthout the gate wch was formerly Abell Wrights lott lying on ye west side of ye great river between William Hunters & the comon fence.
Obadiah Miller hath eight acres of swamp land grannted unto him lying at the East end of his upland at block bridge.
Increase Sikes hath granted unto him three or ffour acres of wett meddow on ye west side of the great River in ye woods right opposite to Samuell Terryes meddow by ye river side or thereabout if it to be found.
Rowland Thomas hath granted unto him about one acre & halfe of land at the South west end of his home lott at Skipmuck, provided it doth not prejudice any comon good.
Serjeant Stebbins hath grannted unto him six acres of land above end brook between William Branch his lott agt ye playne & ffrancis Peppers lott provided a highway be reserved in place most convenient.
Anthony Dorchester hath grannted unto him twenty acres of land on ye hill yt looks over ye meddow over Agawam river beyond Lieut. Coopers land there: this grant is to lye next Samuell Marshfields land except Thomas Cooper, Jun'r does take his grant of land there. And this grant is not to hinder any highway agt yt may be laid there.
John Stewart hath granted to him the parcells of upland to ye quantity of seven or eight acres wch lye between or in or about his meddow on all sides at the mill river.
Granted that Jeremy Hortons home lott at Skipmuch and that was Nathaneell Elyes grant there shall lye without any interposition of a highway, if George Colton & Nath Ely who are appoynted to survey it shal see meet til wch tyme the way is to stand & remayn as it is determined in ye next grant. [III - 163.]
The Inhabitants at Skipmuck designing yt the way wch doth lye between Jeremy Hortons home lott & taken out of John Hortons, ffor deciding of the matter the Selectmen doe appoynt Nath Ely & George Colton to take survey there upon & to determine wch is most convenient whose determination is to stand in ye case & if they see good cause to accord to ye above said desire, there is granted two or three acres more to John Horton.
This order should have been recorded before ye last in ye former page.
March 4th 1667-8.
Att a Meeting of ye Selectmen they being all present.
John Riley & Rice Bedortha are appoynted to lay out a way from ye comon gate by William Brooke, & over the brooke at ye higher end of the playne & from thence to & over the next brooke. And he make returne of their work under their hands to ye Selectmen.
There being a condition in Charles Ferryes grant of 30 acres of land at Skipmuck, as in ye grant made anno 1665 appeares: And he intreating the Town at a Town Meeting February 26, 1667 to take off the sd condition yt the grant to him might be free & absolute. And the Towne then leaving his case & request to be determined by the Selectmen.
The Selectmen doe now determine yt the said condition in ye sd Charles Ferryes grannt shalbe taken only provided yt if there be need of a highway through any part of the land in ye judgmt of Elizur Holyoke & Miles Morgan who are to goe & take survey thereof, that then a highway shall lye through yt land where the sd two p'sons shall determine.
Benjamin Parsons hath granted unto him ten acres of meddow beyond Skipmuch (whereabout Abell Wright hath some grannted him,) if it be there to be had, it is to be next Abells or in ye meddow next to it. And in lieu thereof he resigning into ye Townes hand his 40 acres grannted as fresh water brooke. [III - 164.]
There is also granted unto Deacon Chapin Ten acres of meddow beyond Skipmuck where he can fynd it soe much undisposed.
These grants that way are on condition yt those lands be free for this town to dispose of & yt if they be not purchased of the Indians they cleare ye purchase thereof.
Serjeant Stebbin hath ffoure acres of land granted to him adjoyning to his other six above brooke. Only the wood of the 4 acres is to be free for anyone till he fence the land.
John Leonard hath six or seven acres of land granted him at the end of his 40 acres by his house over Agawam River.
These ffour grants of land next following were made by the Comittee impowered for that work for ye yeere 1667 & should have been entered amongst their acts.
Impr: John Bagg hat a grant of what vacant land lyeth between William Brookes his land & Goodman Ashleyes & the highway, in ye little playne on ye west side of ye great river.
John Riley hath a grant of ten acres of upland in length according to the length of his meddow wch he bought of Henry Chapin lying thereby: but he is not to prudice high wayes wch are to lye in place most convenient.
Edmund Pringridayes hath grannted unto him what land lyeth undisposed of & that doth noe way prdudice highwayes and John Dumbleton & Samuell Marshfield are to take care about & to see to it.
Rice Bedortha hath granted unto him the side of the hill lyeth by his house lott on ye west side of the great river viz: on the west side of ye lott. Provided it be noe hinderance of the highway up the hill. As also yt peece of land on ye south of the brooke provided it prjudice no highway, & Samuell Marshfield & John Dumbleton are to take care to see what is convenient for a highway & for passage for cattell & on the North of the said lott the same two men are to consider & determine what is convenient for the highway & he is to have the rest. [III - 165.]
ffebruary 10th, 1667.
At a meeting of the Selectmen they being all present.
Abell Wright hath by them grannted unto him ten acres of meddow in that meddow beyond Skipmuch where Rowland Thomas had 10 acres grannted unto him, by the said Comittee yt were impowered to grant lands: This meddow now grannted lyeth on a little brook yt runs down to Stony brook yt is in the way to Hadley: this grant is on condition yt
that land be free fro former grants & yt it be free for this Town to dispose of, & if it not purchased of ye Indians, he cleare the purchase thereof.
Rowland Thomas hath also two acres more of the same meddow grannted unto him to be added to his former ten acres & on the same tearmes wth Abell Wrights.
Abell Wright hath also grannted unto him about two acres of land at the south westerly side of Rowland Thomas his house lott at Skipmuck p'vided it pr'judice not former grants or high wayes.
John Perry hath granted unto him an addition of six acres of meddow to his former 8 acres beyond Agawam River towards Stony River on teaarmes hereafter mentioned.
William Hunter hath granted unto him twenty of upland & ten acres of meddow on or neere Stony River towards Windsor, neere where John Petty hath land & on like tearmes & yt the lands be not taken out of the Townes hands by superior powers & that they cleare the purchase of those lands.
Thomas Day hath granted unto him ffoure or five acres of meddow above his meddow at Worlds End lying on both sides of ye brook or riveret there.
Also there was granted him six acres for a wood lott at or on the reer of Capt. Pynchons wood lott & it is to lye from the brow of the hill on ye northerly side of garden brook & from there run northerly or easterly, only a highway is to lye from ye sd brook into those playnes beyond the brook in place most convenient.
John Lamb hath granted unto him ye land yt is between his lotts in the playne above end brooke & the hills, and the land yt is between the lott yt was Griffith Jones & the hills there eastward. [III - 166.]
At a meeting of ye Selectmen March 4th, 1668, they all being present.
Serjeant Stebbins hath grannted unto him ffoure acres of land adjoyning to his other six acres lying by Goodman Branch his land at the three corner meddow brook called End Brooke.
This grant is on condition yt wood on ye said ffoure acres be free for any till he fence ye land, viz: the said ffoure acres.
John Leonard hath granted unto him six or seven acres of land at ye end of his fforty acres ytis by his house over Agawam river.
June ye 29th, 1668.
At a Meeting of ye Selectmen they being all prsent.
John Skinner of Hartford desiring to come & settle in this Plantation hath granted unto him twenty acres of land on ye high land by Agawam meddows, adjoyning to the land of Thomas Cooper, Jun'r: provided he come & settle in this Towne wth his family & yt he give bod to ye value of twenty pounds wth surety to ye Selectmens satisfaction to save ye Towne from charge from him or his. This grant also is not to prjudice highwayes yt may be laid there about.
Samuell Ely hath grannted unto him all the land wch lyeth between that allotment wch he lives on in ye Long Meddow & the highway yt is by the pond, viz: ye long pond on ye back side of ye meddow.
ffrancis Pepper hath granted unto him ten acres of land adjoyning to Serj. Stebbins his land above mentioned southerly & extending northerly to ye rising land or first hill over ye 2nd bridge.
Benjamin Munn hath grannted unto him ten acres of land adjoining to ffrancis Peppers land above grannted wch is to lye southward also from & under ye same rising of land: & between ye said land & ye great playne: provided there be so much land there undisposed of: These two grants to ffrancis Pepper & Benjamin Munn are on condition yt the wood on those lands be free for any till land be fenced, & that highwayes be not prjudiced thereby. [III - 167.]
Benjamin Munn hath grannted unto him ten acres of land adjoining to ffrancis Peppers land above grannted wch is to lye southward also from & under ye same rising of land: & between ye said land & ye great playne: provided there be so much land there undisposed of: These two grants to ffrancis Pepper & Benjamin Munn are on condition yt the wood on those lands be free for any till ye land be fenced, & that highwayes be not prjudiced thereby. [III - 167.]
January 11, 1668.
Att a Meeting of the Selectmen, they being all present.
There is grannted unto Samuel Ely ten acres of land below ye bridge that is by Nath Burts land at ye back side of
this land soe grannted is to joyne ye lower end of John Harmans Land & the reere of ye Long Meddow lotts by the brooke. Only there is to be left a sufficient highway for drift of cattle to ye commons below ye Meddows.
Lieut Cooper hath granted unto him yt if John Skinner doe not come to inhabitate in this Town within two yeeres from this tyme, then he the sd Lieut Cooper shall have that twenty acres of land grannted to ye sd John Skinner.
John Dumbleton hath a peece of land granted to him about 6 acres of land next to ye lott ye lott yt was granted to James Taylor above ye comon fence on ye west side of ye great River if soe much be there undisposed of.
Miles Morgan hath grannted unto him yt peece of land yt lyes between his land by the Round hill & end brooke, between this land soe granted & Goodman Branch his ditch, & soe forward sixteen rod wide between this land so grannted & the brow of ye hill wch is on the south easterly side of the said brooke ye runs out of ye wet meddow to ye brow or top of ye next rising of land wch is a little from ye brooke: this grant not to prejudice the way over ye new bridge.
Granted to Edmund Prinridayes & ffrancis Pepper to keepe their fence by Chickuppe playne on ye place where it now stands pvided they doe ye fence themselves except soe much as any of ye proprietors of yt field fall short of doing their share thereabouts.
ffebruary 8th, 1668.
by ye Selectmen: All of ym prsent.
Anthony Dorchester haveing a pcell of land granted him to chickuppe playne on ye west side of ye great river at ye back end or west end of ye land. Sometymes called Miles Mowing lott wch grant was made many yeeres & hath posessed & improved it severall yeeres & yet the Record of it through some neglect is not found - the said land is now confirmed to him, viz: six or seven acres. Robert Ashleyes land lying on ye north side of it & Miles Morgan on ye south.
Obadiah Miller haveing 20 acres of land grannted him as
Achcanunksitt in ffebruary 6, 1664, wch was never laid out & he desiring the place may be altered & yt it may ly at block bridge brook, his desire is grannted & his to have the said twenty acres of land on ye west side of his other land there & hereby his former grant at Asccanunksitt is voyd. [III - 168.]
Edund Prinridayes desiring one or two acres of mean land to be granted him wch lyes at ye reer of his land in Chickuppe playne, & was taken in wth his land only for conveniency of fencing the afore acre or two of land there is granted unto him.
ffrancis Pepper hath likewise granted unto him the land at ye end of his lott there.
ffebruary 12th, 1668.
Att a Meeting of ye Selectmen.
There is granted to John Dumbleton, Samuell Marshfield, Griffith Jones & Thomas Copley, that for conveniency of fencing their lands under the hills at the reere of the house lots above ye comon fence on ye west side of ye great River: they shall have liberty to jutt their fence toward the brow of the great hill.
Peter Swink hath grannted unto him six or seven acres of low land meddowish land wch is to be laid out to him on ye northerly side of block brook agt his former grannt of thirty acres formerly granted him; while it lyes comon or till it shalbe improved or fenced in, in part, at least two acres, till then the tymber there to be comon for ye neighbors: the said Peter Swink accepting of ye grant abovesaid on ye conditions above expressed.
Symon Beman hath grannted unto him an acre & halfe or two acres of meddow uppon a small brooke Northward a little beyond Skepmuch wch brooke runs down toward Stony River: this meddow being a little off of Rowland Thomas his meddow there.
John Riley hath granted unto him an addition of two acres of land to his for 10 acres above ye playne called Chickuppe on ye West side of ye great river.
Grannted unto Thomas Day, John Clark, Nathaneell Ely & Charles fferry, the land at ye east-ward end of their lotts over ye meddow where Thomas Day dwells by the Prison House, viz: 20 rod long eastward from the end or reere of their lotts for ye whole breadth of their lotts. This in lieu of land taken from those lotts in ye front for ye highwaye, & is in full satisfaction for ye land taken for ye said highway.
Lawrence Bliss hath a like grant of 20 rod long for the whole breadth of his lott over ye meddow viz, at ye reere of it. This being also in satisfaction for land taken from ye lot for the said highway.
The like grant is made to ye lott belonging to ye house of correction. And to ye lot yt belong to ye house where John Matthews dwells. [III - 169.]
Aprill 7th, 1669.
At a meeting of the Selectmen: All present.
Benjamin Parsons hath grannted unto him about an acre of meddow about 3 miles from ye Towne on ye right hand of ye way to Watchuet on a gutter running down to John Harmons Pacowsick meddow.
Joseph Crowfoote hath granted unto him about halfe an acre of land neere his house at Chickuppe. It was to lye at cornerwise next ye highway at ye Southerly corner of his land there: this to bring his lott Square at ye front. There is also grannted unto him 4 acres at ye flank of his lott towards ye eastward end thereof.
Jeremy Horton hath granted unto him about halfe an acre of land at ye west end of his house lott next to Symon Bemen to lay his lott square, as also a triangle peece of about halfe an acre at ye South east corner of his lott to bring his lott up to ye south east corner of his lott to bring his lott up to ye highway there.
Capt. Pynchon hath granted unto him about 3 quarters of an acre of land on ye further side of 3 corner meddow brook above ye playne bridge to carry ye brook straite next to ye playne under ye hill there, thereby taking in 2 or 3 acres wth
small spangs of land wch are now lying on ye Northerly side of ye brook all being about 3 quarters of an acre or but little more & is adjoining to Capt. Pynchons other land at the northwest end of the round hill.
Aprill 23, 1669.
At a meeting of Selectmen - amongst other acts:
Jonathan Burt hath grannted unto him a small parcell of meddow about an acre or two, upon a branch yt comes out of the hither Watchuett & runs into Pacowsick brook provided it be not already grannted unto him - foure acres of meddow on ye hither branch of fresh water river: provided it be not granted to any other.
January 14, 1669.
Att a meeting of ye Selectmen:
There is grannted to Anthony Dorchester about ten acres of Swamp & low land between the hills where his wett meddow is beyond Agawam River.
Granted to John Clarke ten acres of land by his meddow on ye Mill River in severall spangs to lay his meddow & yt together.
Granted to John Bagg twenty acres of land on the west side of the great river beyond Chickuppe playne next above John Riley's land: convenient [III - 170.] highwayes being re-served or there to be laid out afterwards.
Also there is grannted him ffive acres of swampy meddowish land hemmed in wth hills & lying about 60 rod above Chickuppe playne fence.
Granted to Capt. Holyoke ffoure score acres of land on ye west side of ye great River below the higher falls in ye great River & a little below ye land wch was Thomas Copleys (wch he sold to Joseph Parsons) & to lye downwards by the river side to the land grannted to John Bagg: reserving liberty for highway as through it, as there shalbe occasion if they cannot conveniently be laid below by the side of it.
Also there is granted to Mr. Holyoke an addition to his wet meddow by the 3 corner meddow that whereas his wett meddow there was not to come quite to the foote of ye hill on ye East it is now grannted yt his land there shall come not
only to ye foote of the hill but that he shall have the land all along on the side of the hill (the whole length of his wet meddow there) up to ye edge of the brow soe as yt he may sett his fence there if he see cause soe to doe: provided he doe not entrench uppon the ends of any of ye home lotts that were granted there all wch are to goe to yt brow of ye hill wch runs all along by 3 corner meddows.
Theres grannted to William Brookes forty acres of land on ye westrly side & northrly end of the land wch Thomas Copley hath sold to Joseph Parsons of North Hampton at the foote of ye higher falls in ye great River. Convenient highwayes to be reserved.
Also by way of exchange there is grannted to Samuell Marshfield sixty acres of land there by William Brookes - they agreeing in layig of it, viz: both their grannts: this of Samuell Marshfields is in lieu of sixty acres which he had over Agawam River wch he resignes into yt Townes hand: highwayes are also to be reserved through the lands there as may be most convenient.
At a Town Meeting October 9, 1699:
The Town grannted John Stewart yt three acres of wett meddow & low land over agt or a little hill above Robert Ashley: excepting that there is to be allowed out of it one rod in breadth all along from ye first upland over ye meddow to ye end of ye lott eastward wch rod in breadth all along yt backer part of ye lott is to lye by the land yt is appoynted for ye highway cross the meddow into ye woods yt way.
Capt. Pynchon being not paid for halfe a barrell of powder for wch yt Town formerly en-gaged, ye 4 acre lott of the Townes by the round hill having a yeeres tyme to redeeme it as in page 60. The town now declared that he is to have the said lott of hisw own proper estate. [III - 171.]
December 13, 1671.
Whereas Edward ffoster had a grant of thirty acres of land a little beyond Block bridge the Measurer had measured out thirty acres for him there about, but it being accounted that it is laid out not according to ye grant
as to ye place, Edward ffoster requesting that yet notwithstanding he may have the thirty acres according as it is measured the Selectmen have granted that he shall have that thirty acres of land as it is measured, bounded & marked, provided that the tymber trees on the said land shalbe free for any man till the land is fenced. That is to say such of ye land as shalbe fenced the trees of such of ye land shalbe his own & none are to meddle with them.
This 30 acres of land Edward ffoster hath sold to John Petty.
John Petty hath granted unto him seven acres of land more as an addition to his 30 acres of land bought of Edward ffoster wch is to lye 14 rod wide along ye west side of the 30 acres viz: 80 rod long wch is the length of the 30 acres soe ye whole p'cell is 37 acres: provided the tymber & wood growing on ye whole p'cell be free for any ye neighbors to make use of till he shall improve it or fence it in.
Granted to John Lamb five or six acres of land for a homelott (wth liberty to build on it) by the playne above End brooke from ye side of his own & G. Munns land there to the great hill & soe lying by ye side of the hill: the wood & tymber thereon to be free for any inhabitant till he improve it.
Symon Lobdell desiring a little strap of meddow beyond yt granted to Cornelius Williams and eastward of it: There is grannted unto him five acres of meddow of soe much be there in the place desired, provided he take it from upland to upland & that it be not already grannted to any other p'son.
Quartermaster Colton hath granted unto him (for conveniency of fencing) 10 or 12 acres of land adjoyning to & by his owne land wthout the long meddow beyond Nathaneel Burts land there.
John Barber & Samuell Barber his brother have grannted to each of them 16 acres of land by Agawam River side a little below Askanunksett in a bottom there a little beyond block Bridge & if the bottom will afford it they have liberty to have 17 or 18 acres apeece & John Barber is to chuse at wch end to take his part: this grant to Samuell Barber is on condition he come & dwell in this towne. [III - 172.]
Abell Wright hath granted unto him two acres of land by his house lott formerly grannted him at Skeepmuch wch is an addition thereto, provided it hinder not the highway. Also he is to allow liberty to build on his lott there.
There is granted a highway from Skeepmuck to the Towne of 3 or 4 acres rod broad from ye white oake marked by ye comittee to a pine tree wch is at the west corner of Major Pynchons land there.
Samuell Holyoke hath granted unto him a parcell of land at ye further end of the round hill between ye land called crooked poynt & Serj. Morgans land there & soe from Crooked poynt to ye brooke yt runs out of the wet meddow under ye bridge formerly called the New bridge. This land thus grannted was formerly left for a highway of 16 rod but there being now noe necessity of such a highway that peece of land from ye round hill all along northward to ye said brook is now granted to Samuell Holyoke reserving only two rod wide for a highway if there shalbe any need or occasion thereof.
Pelatiah Morgan hath grannted unto him five or six acres of land for a house lott beyond his fathers land wch is by the round hill, viz: on the east side of the old brook wch runs out of ye wett meddow: this land is to lye & soe to be laid out as not to prjudice a convenient highway to the Old Clay Pitts or place where ye Old brick kilne was nor to hinder a highway out into the woods there. This grant is on condition that Pelatiah Morgan doe build or improve there wthin ffive yeeres, he having liberty grannted to build there accordingly.
William Brookes hath grannted unto him for conveniency of building a barne on ye hill two or three acres of land on ye west side of the way from his house lott at Chickuppe a little above the gate going to ye field; providing he prjudice noe highway there needfull.
Major Pynchon hath granted unto him liberty to build on his land at or by or neere ye Round hill not to prjudice ye way to the playne or ye way towards William Branch his land. [III - 173.]
Granted to Lawrence Bliss 2 or 3 acres of meddowish land on ye North branch of the Mill River above his meddow bought of Rowland Stebbins: provided it be not grannted to any other p'son.
Symon Bemon & Jeremy Horton have granted unto them 30 acres a peece of land agt ye great bar of the highest falls in ye great River on ye east side of ye River to be laid together in one peece provided the Indians be willing to sell ye land & yt they cleare ye purchase thereof & yt it proove to belong to this Township.
John Matthews hath 30 acres of land granted unto him at ye swamp called Matthews his swamp.
Thomas Miller hath granted unto him 3 acres of land at Aschcanunsitt by his other land there provided it prjudice not the laying out of a highway to Westfield wth the most con-veniency in ye judgment of the Selectmen or others appointed by them.
Thomas Mirrick hath grannted unto him two or three acres of land, meddowish land & swamp by his land at 16 acres p'vided it be not granted to any other p'son already.
Samuell Marshfield hath grannted unto him fforty acres of land above or by his & William Brookes his land granted at the higher falls in ye great river to be laid soe as not to hinder highwayes in most convenient places.
Granted to Cornelius Williams 2 acre or 2 & 1/2 of meddow between ye Four Mile Pond & Chickuppe River if soe much be there undisposed of.
Rice Bedortha hath grannted unto him that five or six acres of wet meddow or wet land wch was formerly granted to Joseph Crowfoote & by him rsigned into ye Townes hand. It lies about halfe a mile from his house uppon yt brooke yt comes out of ye woods & runs by Edmund Prinridayes cellar.
John Stewart hath grannted unto him three acres of Meddow neere the Four Mile Pond in that meddow where Cornelius Williams had some granted him if soe be there undisposed of.
Nath Pritchard hath grannted unto him ten acres of land
neere the foot path in ye way to Watchuet not to hinder highwayes to those quarters in place most convenient. [III - 174.]
Lieut. Cooper granted unto him sixteen acres of lowland on ye most southerly branch of the three mile brooke below his house about halfe a mile up yt branch of the brook. Provided it be wthin this Townes bounds when the bounds are sett.
Granted to Ensigne Cooley wt vacant land lyeth between the weere of his land in the Long Meddow & the fence where now it stands by the pond.
Serjant Stebbin hath grannted unto him the dingle agt his meddow called Wheele meddow for 80 rod up the dingle & of the high land by the northerly side of that dingle the same length & 20 rod broad.
There is grannted unto Samuell Ely six acres of the high land below Long meddow brooke neere ye great River.
Richard Sikes hath grannted unto him 2 or 3 acres of wet meddow & low land on a little brooke yt runs into ye Mill Rive about a mile above the saw mill if it be not already granted to some other.
Symon Bemon hath grannted unto him five or six acres of swamp & low lands under ye hill on ye south side of his other land.
Symon Lobdell hath granted unto him 3 acres of wet medoe neere or by Goodman Thomas his meddow about 1/2 a mile from ye Bay path: provided it be not disposed of already.
Eliakim Cooley hath granted unto him six acres of wet meddow & low lands upon fresh water brooke below Pequitt path lying in 2 or 3 p'cells provided it be not already otherwise granted & yt it be disposable by this Towne. [III - 175.]
Thomas Stebbins Jun'r at ye Generall Town meeting for ffebruary 6, 1671, hath by the Town grannted unto him six acres of land for a wood lott, to lye at ye end of his fathers wood lotts wch lye by or neere the further end of the highwaye wch ye new causeway over ye meddow above Robert Ashley leads to: & he is to have & enjoy the wood upon this lott any order seeming notwthstanding to restrayne the same.
John Keepe hath at ye same Town meeting granted unto him 5 or 6 acres of the wet meddow by or behind the Long meddow if his former grannt thereof be not found.
ffebruary 12, 1671.
John Holton hath granted unto him six acres of land by Pelatiah Morgans grannt beyond ye new bridge not to hinder highwayes in most convenient place: the wood thereon reserved according to Town Order ffebruary 7, 1670.
Joseph Leonard hath granted unto him wt vacant land lyes between William Warreners meddow in the Middle Meddow over Agawam River & Benjamin Munns meddow in ye next meddow. Also much of ye pond as lyeth agt William Warreners meddow.
Samuell Ball hath granted unto him six acres of land at or neere ye place where the Old brick kilne was: not to p'judice highwayes in most convenient place: this grant is upon condition he coe & inhabitt in this Town: the wood reserved according to Town Order.
Thomas Stebbin Jun'r hath grannted unto him six acres of land by or neere the grant of Daniell Ball not to p'judice highwayes. The wood thereon reserved to Towne Order in ffebruary 7, 1670.
John Stewart hath grannted unto him six acres of land at or neere the reere of Major Pynchons upper wood lotts not to p'judice highwayes: the wood also reserved as above. [III - 176.]
Samuel Bliss Jun'r hath granted unto him 2 or 3 acres of meddow where he had a former grant in March 1665-66. If there be soe much there & on like condition as yt former grant.
Also 3 acres more of wett meddow is granted unto him behind Long meddow below Nathaneel Burts meddow.
And next to Samuell Bliss is grannted to Obadiah Cooley, Eliakim Cooley, Isaac Colton & Ephraim Colton five acres a peece in yt wet meddow if there be soe much undisposed they to agree among themselves how to lye.
Charles ffery hath grannted unto him forty acres of land neere the Bay path at or neere the two gutters wch are about
six miles from ye town: provided yt if it proove not purchased of the Hatwes, he cleare ye purchase & that it be disposable by the Towne.
Granted to Thomas Day 2 or 3 acres ofland at Ashcanunksitt joyning to his owne land there.
James Warener hath grannted unto him twenty acres of land beyond block bridge on ye west side of ye great River next beyond John Pettyes land there if it be not already grannted to any other person.
May 21, 1672.
Richard Exell hath grannted unto him eight acres of land to joyne all along his land at Block bridge on the east side of that brooke.
Thomas Miller Jun'r hath grannted unto him twenty acres of land by or neere his fathers land towards Westfield not to hinder highwayes to be laid out in most convenient places.
William Warriner hath grannted unto him what vacant land lyes between his land in ye middle meddow & Joseph Leonards late grant of pond Swamp if there be any such vacancy & yt it was not his by former grannt. [III - 177.]
Rice Bedortha hath grannted unto him thirty acres of land on the West side of the great River between ye great pond & Samuell Ferreyes land above Chickuppe. And hereupon he resignes into the Townes hand his 30 acres at ffresh water brooke.
Joseph Bedortha hath grannted unto him twenty acres of land about 3/4 of a mile beyond his fathers house westerly or northwesterly.
Joseph Leonard hath grannted unto him the Swamp between Agawam River & his fathers land over yt river (if it were not his fathers by former grannt or by purchase from Thomas Mirick) provided noe highway there be p'judiced.
John Lamb hath grannted unto him a highway of three or ffour rods wide from his land towards the Town, viz: his land by the great hill towards Chickuppe beyond End Brooke.
At a Meeting of the Selectmen being all present. Selectmen's book of the date here set August 20th, 1672.
Grannted to Obadiah Miller seven acres of upland on ye west side of his lott at Ashcanunksett to lye square all along on ye side of his land there, viz: the land wch he had of Rice Bedortha. Also eight acres more is grannted at ye front of his land there, not to prjudice laying out highwayes in most convenient place.
Nath Pritchard hath eight acres of land grannted him at Cowseek on this side ye brook agt his meddow there.
Granted to Anthony Dorchester twenty acres of land of & about the dingle agt his land at Cowseek brooke.
Also there is granted him what land is yet undisposed of in the farther meddow over Agawam River to ye quantity of 2 or 3 acres lying at ye South end of his own land & between the land of John Leonard bought of Samuell Marshfield & ye upland.
Nathaniel Sikes & Victory Sikes have grannted unto them 30 acres of land by the northerly side of their fathers land at Cowseek brook yet not to prjudice passages that way where people used to goe in tyme of floods in the Great River when there is not convenient passage in ye lower way over ye bridge by reason of floods.
Obadiah Cooley hath granted unto him for conveniency of cellar room, liberty of setting his fence 5 or 6 foot unto ye way agt his house, viz: soe far along ye way as the cellar may extend if he shall so chuse to make a cellar by his house there. Also liberty to run his fence from his westerly corner of such cellar 2 rod askew to meet with his other fence by the way to ye wharfe.
John Stewart having formerly agreement of three acres of wet meadow in yt meddow where Cornelius Williams had a grant soe much being not there to be had, there is grannted him his three acres in a little strip or stripes between the meddow grannted to Cornelius & Skipmuck, viz: westerly from yt meddow: on a gutter yt runs into Chickupee river above Skeepmuck.
Thomas Day hath granted him ffoure acres of ye Garden brook valley to lye along by his wood lott over ye brook & at ye reere of Major Pynchon woodlott.
John Dorchester hath ye remaynder of that wet meddow grannted him where Colonel Williams had a grannt.
Anthony Dorchester hath grannted unto him what land is yet undisposed of in ye further meddow over Agawam River to the quantity of 2 or 3 acres lying at ye southward end of his own land & between the land yt John Leonard bought of Samuel Marshfield & the upland.
Peter Swink hath grannted unto him 6 acres of land adjoyning to his other land at Block bridge.
Benjamin Munn Jun'r hath grannted unto him six acres of land by his brother Balls grant at the old brick kilne to lay all along his brothers land there not to prjudice highwayes in most convenient places.
Samuell Holyoke hath grannted unto him that piece of land wch lyeth between his former grannt & the ditch fence of the field; ths grant is bounded by End Brook northwesterly ye ditch by the highway northeasterly, the old brook yt runs out of ye meddowes southwesterly & by Miles Morgans land southeasterly.
December 30th, 1672.
Nathaneel Burt hath grannted unto him ten acres of upland to lye joyning to ye east end of his other ten acres (on the hill where he lives behind ye long meddow) & to run from brooke to brooke: provided it prjudice noe highway that may be laid out there. Upon this grant he allowes of a highway of one rod & halfe wide from ye great River to ye pond through his upper lott in ye long meddow, viz: on ye upper side of his lott.
Also there is grannted unto him a little strappet of land viz: low land between a quarter of an acre & halfe an acre lying on the West side of his wett meddow wch is on the west side of his swamp land behind the long meddow on condition yt there be roome for a highway six rodd borad when ye Samuell lotts in ye Long Meddow have their full pportion.
January 1st, 1672.
There is granted to the neighbors yt live on the West side of the great River who ingage to sett up a saw mill neere block bridge 10 acres of land on that brook in ye most convenient place for yt work: provided it prejudice
noe mans propriety of land thereabout, & that they doe wthin two yeeres from this tyme carrying on such a work there to effect.
Thomas Miller hath granted unto him about halfe an acre of land neere his cellar at Ash-kanuncksett to make his range for fencing a little straiter, provided it be noe hindrance for laying out a highway in most convenient place.
There is grannted to Charles fferry for conveniency of fencing ffour acres of land by his meddow (on the Mill River) wch he bought of Nathaneel Ely. [III - 179.]
There is granted to John Keep ffoure acres of meddow at fresh water brook by his own meddow there. Recorded below.
There is granted to Samuell Holyoke ten acres of land between Robert Ashleyes wood lott & the wood lott of Thomas Stebbins Jun'r wch is by the old brick kilne.
There is granted to Richard Excell 4 acres of land lying all along the south end of his lot at block bridge.
There is granted to John Bragg ten acres of land by his own land, viz: a former grannt above Chickuppe playne on ye west side of the great River, not to prjudice ye layinge out highwayes in most convenient places.
There is granted unto Nathaneel Burt six acres of wett meddow in the great meddow above Pequitt path provided it belong to this Township, & that it be free for this Towne to dispose of & that he pay the Indians purchase if not already paid & that there be soe much undisposed already.
There is grannted to Serjeant Stebbin six acres of land lying at the reer of Mr. Pynchons wood lotts (that were beyond the little wett meddow of the said Mr. Pynchon) & between Mr. Pynchons further wood lott & Jno Stewarts wood lott.
Major Pynchon hath granted him 4 acres at Paucatuck towards Westfield by Thomas Millers land not to prejudice
the laying out of highwayes in most convenient places.
Also there is granted to the Major that little peece of land at the southeast of the Round hill as far as northerly side of the causeway, viz: John Stewarts raile fence on his ditch; provided a highway be left of a rod & halfe wide in convenient place toward Goodman Branch his land & the like for passage to ye playne on ye south side of the round hill, and that the way be not cumbered wth gates & bars.
Jonathan Burt hath granted unto him six acres of meddow in the great meddow above Pequit path on the condition as his brother Nathaneels grant of meddow there.
John Keepe hath ffoure acres of meddow granted to him on fresh water brook below Pequitt Path to joyn to his owne meddow on the hither branch of ye brooke. [III - 180.]
Att a Towne Meeting ffebruary ye 26th, 1673 being a full meeting:
There is grannted to John Holton, Samuell Terry, Joseph Stebbin, ten acres of land (to each of them) upon End Brook about half a mile above ye bridge yt is over yt brooke: John Holton to chuse ye place where his land shall lye yet not soe as to hinder but yt ye other two may lye wth as much conveniency as may be: Samuell Terry to chuse next, Joseph Stebbins last. Samuell Terryes grannt is partly in reference to a wood lott wch he sayeth was due to him. The tymber & firewood of these lotts & of all other grants made this day to be free for any till the lands are fenced.
There is grannted to Samuell Bliss Jun'r 5 or 6 acres of upland or lowland and meddow at the lower end of the wet meddow below Nath Burt behind long meddow, there being as is said about an acre of wett meddow there yet undisposed of: to be laid soe as not to hinder high-wayes in most convenient place for passage into the woods in ye judgmt of the Selectmen.
There is granted to Major Pynchon the woodland that is at the reere of his wood lotts which lye cross ye meadow and to run paralell in the reere wth his wood lotts & to
range northwesterly wth ye ditch yt goes cross yt little meddow.
Timothy Cooper hath grannted unto him eight acres of land upon ye swamp yt is next beyond the brick kilne place over ye Majors meddow & to joyn to the Majors wood lotts.
Major Pynchon hath soe much of the pond over Agawam grannted to him as lyes agt the reere of his meddow in ye middle meddow.
Jeremy Horton hath grannted unto him Twenty acres of land in the birchen playn above Skeepmuck.
Richard Waite hath twenty acres of land grannted him somewhere about Obadiah Millers beyond block brooke.
Lieut. Cooper hath granted unto him twenty acres of land in ye playne on ye west side of the great River opposite to the Long Meddow beginning at ye little brooke yt runs out of the pond into ye River.
Thomas Cooper Jun'r hath grannted unto him twenty acres of land in ye said playne by or neere his fathers grannt above mentioned.
Also there is grannted him a small p'cell of land about 3 or 4 acres if there be soe much lying at ye lower end of his fathers Thomas Cooper home lott. And betwixt the end of Goodman Dorchesters land & the pine playne & joyning to his fathers land.
obadiah Cooley hath granted unto him twenty acres of land on the west side of the great River to lye agt Goodman Coultons house or thereabout.
Eliakim Cooley hath grannted unto him six acres of low land & swamp on the west side of the great River a little above his fathers house. [III - 181.]
Ensigne Cooley hath grannted unto him six acres of land joyning to ye south side of his other land yt is neere his son Henry Chapins at Chickuppe only he is to allow the inhabitants yt doe or shall dwell there to fetch clay if they need at ye usuall place.
Anthony Dorchester hath ten acres of land grannted him on the reere of Major Pynchons or Capt. Holyokes lotts wch
lye by ye house meddow not to prjudice highwayes in most convenient place.
Also John Dorchester hath ten acres grannted him to joyne to his fathers grant & on like conditions.
John Clark hath ten acres of land grannted him at the west end of his fifteen acres on the west side of the great River agt ye long meddow provided there be soe much between his land & the highway.
Samuell Stebbins hath grannted unto him Six acres of meddow at the great meddow below Goodman Coulton and Goodman Cooleyes grants if soe much be there besides former grannts & on like condition as Nath Burts grannt there wch is entered in page 179.
Serj. Stebbins hath grannted unto him twenty acres of land on ye west side of the great River, agt Quartermaster Coultons house or thereabout above Richard Sikes his land, not to prjudice highwayes.
Jonathan Burt hath grannted unto him ten acres of land on the west side of the great river & over agt ye long meddow next to Serjeant Stebbins if former grants prvent not.
Symon Lobden hath twenty acres of land grannted him on the west of ye great River agt long meddow next to Lieut Coopers grant if former grants prvent not. All those grants that lye by the river are to run westward to hill or swamp or pond that soe there be not too much waste: & they are not to prjudice highwayes to be laid in most convenient place.
David Morgan hath granted unto him that long slip of land wch lyeth butting on ye North side of the brook wch is at the head of the playne above End brook, viz: yt slip of land wch is between the high hill & ye River from ye top of ye hill.
Henry Chapin & Japhet Chapin have grannted unto them Twenty acres apeece of Swamp & upland lying by the brooke
yt runs down by Nathaneel Elyes land at Chickuppe river not to prjudice highwayes wch are to lye in most convenient places.
Upon a motion made by Rowland Thomas it is both granted & ordered that a highway of eight rod wide be laid from [III - 182.] Skeepmuck down to those houses yt live neere Chickuppe River's mouth to be laid in place most convenient not to prjudice any mans propriety. And the said Rowland Thomas & Henry Chapin are to lay out ye said highway.
Rowland Thomas hath grannted unto him an addition of about one acre of land by his house at Skeepnuck on this side the brooke, not to prjudice highwayes.
Japhet Chapin hath ffoure acres of land, viz: his house lott at Chickupe also ye side of the hill all along the north side of his lott there is grannted him, provided these grants pjudice not highwayes wch are to lye in most convenient places.
Upon the motion of the Inhabitants there at Chickuppe it is ordered yt all the land in the valley between Japhet Chapins land & ye River shalllye common perpetually.
It is ordered that all the comon land from the reere of the wood lotts over the meddow eastward to the swampe or dingle called Squawtree dingle, & soe from the head of tht dingle yt goes down to Goodman Miricks wood lott: all the land wthin this compass, viz: between Squaw tre dingle eastward & the wood lots before ye Town westward & between the Bay path & over it as above southward, & Garden brooke & wood lotts of old, grannted northward is by the Towne now ordered to be reserved, kept & appropriated for a trayning place and Towne comon & soe to remayne perpetually & not otherwise at any tyme to be disposed of.
Charles Ferry hath grannted unto him a corner of upland about three or ffoure acres joyning to his meddow at ye Mill River; this for conveniency of fencinge.
Also there is granted him 10 acres between the Bay path & his land at the two gutters about six miles from the towne
on like condition as his former grant there & that he prjudice not the highwaye.
There is granted to Jonathan Ashley ten acres of upland & swampe on the brooke at ye head of ye playne about ye 3 corner meddow.
There is grannted to John Keepe ffive & twenty acres upon ye playne above Nathaneel Burts land & to joyne thereunto.
John Bagg hath grannted unto him twelve acres of land upon the hill westward from his house & twenty acres of land at the reere of his land in Chickuppe playne: not to prejudice highwayes in the most convenient places.
William Brookes hath granted unto him twenty acres of lowland & swampe on the brook at the head of chickuppe playne on ye west side ye great river on both sides ye brooke not to prejudice highwayes in most convenient places: & 10 acres of upland westerly from his house on like condition.
Isaack Morgan hath grannted unto him ffoure or five acres of land norwestward from End brook joyning to Goodman Lambs land in ye reere & bounded by the top of ye great hill eastward the highway, southward the playne, [III - 183.] fence westward: he is not to prjudice any former grannt nor to hinder the proprietors of the playne from coming on the land to mend their fences.
There's grannted to John Lamb the land wch lyeth on the side of the hill agt his land on the playne that soe he may sett his fence on the top of the hill.
There's grannted to Richard Barnard 4 or 5 acres of land on the right hand of the Bay path at the dirty gutter about 2 miles from ye Towne: not to prjudice any former grant.
There is granted to Nathaneel Sikes nine or ten acres of land at the upper end of Chickuppe playne on the West side of the great River above the brooke, next to ye lott wch is or was Joseph Crowfootes & to run from the brooke on ye west to ye great river on the east provided it be not disposed of already.
Abell Wright haveing 17 acres of land formerly grannted him in Chickuppe playne wch he never had & therefore having liberty granted him to sute himselfe elsewhere: upon his de-sire the Town now doth grannt him twenty acres of land at Skeepmuck on the North side of ye river between ye hill & the River in upper part of the playne above ye brooke wch is above Skeepmuck.
William Warrener hath eight acres of land granted him on ye Garden brook above John Sads grant: this grant is to be laid out from ye top of the hills or high land on both sides the brook.
James Warrener & John Hitchcock have grannted to each of them eight acres of land on Garden brooke above their father Warreners grant, from ye brow of ye hill on both sides the brooke.
Nathaneel Burt hath grannted unto him fforty acres of land on the North side of the Long meddow brook a boggy medow being on the west side thereof & a dingle on ye east.
John Matthews hath grannted unto him twelve acres of land on the north side of Mill River upward from the bridge: It is grannted to lye square.
Samuell Bliss Jun'r hath grannted unto him soe much of the pond as is agt his own land in the long meddow & a strapp of land above an acre & halfe: provided the Indians be not hindered gathering pease in ye pond.
Pelatiah Morgan hath granted him what vacant land lyeth between his land above End brook & the comon fence, he is not to hinder ye proprietors of the fence from coming on ye land to mend their fences.
Henry Rogers hath grannted unto him thirty acres of land up the great falls on ye east side there, provided it belong to this Town & that he cleare the purchase thereof.
Samuell Holyoke hath grannted unto him what land lyeth between his former grant towards ye old brick kilne and Goodman Ashleys wood lot excepting 6 rod wide from the meddow into ye woods for a highway.
Granted Isaak Morgan 20 acres of land at the reere of his
fathers lot at Chickuppe provided it prejudice noe former grannt. [III - 184.]
There is grannted unto Thomas Bancroft fifty acres of land towards & neere Westfield bounds in reference to [ ].
At the Generall Town Meeting on ye 2d of ffebruary, 1674:
There was granted severall granntes of land to Severall p'sons of this Towne, etc.
Imprimis - there is granted to Serjant Stebbins fforty acres of Upland, ten acres of swamp & ten acres of meddow below the brook called fresh water brooke.
Joseph Crowfoote hath granted unto him twenty acres of land by Chickuppe river above Henry Chapins land there.
Granted to James Taylor fforty acres of land neer Southfield bounds.
Granted to John Dumbleton Jun'r & Thomas Cooper Jun'r & Benjamin Leonard to each of them fforty acres of land neere Southfield bounds.
Jonathan Burt hath confirmed unto him his former grant of land below freshwater brook wch he resigned into the Towns hand or else to lye by Serj. Stebbins grant there.
Granted to Ephraim Coulton ffourty acres of land there.
Also there is grannted to John Keep fforty acres of land there.
Also there is grannted to David Wheeler of Rowley (who hath a desire to remove to this town) a parcell of land lying on the west side of Connecticut River & joyning to the south ward side of three mile brook below Lieut Coopers & to border southward on Southfield bounds & in breadth to extend to ye highway to Southfield allowing also that the said way be laid a little more westerly whereby it is said the way will lye straiter to the great hill.
Also there is granted to he sd David Wheeler a little meddow contayning five or six acres more or less, below Lieut Coopers, the whole peece being granted unto him. These grants are on condition that he come & settle in this Town & continue here five yeers.
Granted to Obadiah Miller seven acres of land by or neere his land beyond block bridge on condition he grant Samuell Marshfield a way cross his land.
Granted to Lazarus Miller thirty acres of land as neere his fathers land as he can fynd it convenient.
Granted to Rice Bedortha seven or eight acres of land at the reere of his lott.
All these grants are on condition that they hinder not laying out highwayes in most convenient place or places. [III - 185.]
In the handwriting of John Holyoke.
At a Generall Town Meeting ffebruary 6th, 1676.
There were made sevrl grants of land to sevral persons, having these conditions:
1. Highwayes not to be prjudiced by these grants.
2. The grantees are to continue five yeers in the town after ye land granted is measured.
3. Former grantees are first to be fenced.
Iprm: Granted to Isach Morgan a p'cell of land at head of ye plaine upon ye little brooke between Jonathan Ashleys land & ye fence wch land is about two or three acres.
Granted Henry Rogers 30 acres of land lying in ye swamp or low land a place called Mednegonuck. Resigned up to ye Town ffebruary ye 1st 1680.
Granted to David Throw 30 acres of land on ye west side of ye river on ye northwesterly side of ye land of Jno Petty at Block bridge.
Granted to Jno Barber that land yt was his Brother Samuell Barber, his land, & two or three acres more adjoyning it.
Granted to Abel Leonard 30 acres of land lying upon ye branch of ye Saw Mill Brooke or neer to it.
Granted to Josiah Leonard 30 acres of land, lying upon the branch of ye Saw Mill Brooke or neer to it.
Granted to Obadiah Miller five or six acres of land adjoyning to hisland going to Westfield.
Granted to Joseph Bedortha two or three acres of land at ye reere of his fathers lot at Chickuppe.
Granted to Joseph Stebbin a piece of land of about one acre & a halfe lying upon the corner medow brooke between his own land & ye land of Benjamin Munn.
Granted to Victory Sikes ten acres of land by his fathers wood lot over ye Mill River.
Granted to James Stevenson 6 acres at ye reer of Lieut. Coopers & Thomas Cooper Jun'r land provided this hinder not a former grant of four acres to Joseph Crowfoot wch is to be first served, which 4 acres he sold to Major Pynchon.
At a Town Meeting May 2nd 1677: Mr. Daniel Denton had a grant of 40 acres of land. See page 92 of this booke.
January 6th, 1678. At a Town Meeting:
There was granted to Jonathan Burt Sen'r a piece of land lying over the Country bridge at ye lower end of Long Meddow about 10 rod eastward from ye bridge 12 or 15 acres more or less, if he can find so much there: provided it prejudice no highway.
Also yr was granted to John Bagg two acres more or less, for an home lott lying next above Peter Swink from the east side of the new highway twelve rod in breadth, length to ye great River, provided it prjudice no highway; but this grant being considered at a Generall Town Meeting Febuary 4, 1678 was found very prjudicial to the highway there & contrary a former order of the town (anno 1674) that this land should lye comon, was declared to be void (as it was in reallity before) but at ye said meeting the Town did vote to give him instead thereof some other parcel as he should find in convenient place. [III - 186.]
At a Generall Town Meeting February ye 4th 1678.
There were made several Grants of Lands to several persons, etc.
Impr: Granted to Mr. Daniel Denton 10 acres of Land more or lesse lying upon Garden Brooke at the mouth of Squaw Tree dingle between Thomas Day & James Warreners Lands as also that he have ye wood as his own propriety provided he continue in the Town five yeers.
Impr: Granted to Mr. Daniel Denton 10 acres ofland more or less lying upon Garden Brooke, at the mouth of Squaw Tree dingle
tree dingle between Thomas Days & James Warreners, as also that ye wood as his own propriety, provided he continue in the Town five yeers.
There is granted to Benjamin Knowlton to have forty acres over Agawam below James Stevensons grant there.
Granted to Jonathan Burt Sen'r the land & the pond at the reer of his mothers lot at Long meddow, the whole breadth of the Lot up to the hill, as others have granted unto them.
Rowland Thomas hath liberty granted to him to change his twelve acres grant at Stony Brooke towards Hadley for land as he shal find elsewhere.
There is like liberty granted to Benjamin Parsons & also to Abell Wright to change their ten acres grants at the said Stony Brooke for other lands as they shal find.
There is granted to Nathanll Sikes twelve acres of medow & low land adjoining on both sides his fathers grant of three acres above the Saw Mill on the east side the great River & on the south side of the said Saw Mill River.
There is granted to Increase Sikes twenty acres of upland at little Whatchuet on the south west side of the medow there.
There is granted to William Brooke forty acres of land below Agawam towards Westfield, about a mile from Agawam River on hill lying on the West side thereof, & a Swamp on the east side.
There is granted to Jno Dorchester four acres of Upland on the West side of the boggy medow over Agawam by the land he bought of Samuel Marshfield.
There is granted to Jno Scott thirty acres of medowish or low land and Swamp below the Saw mill below Thomas Coopers land there.
There is also granted to Charles Ferry ten acres to adjoyne to his lands at Freshwater River, provided it hinder no lots there.
Philip Mattoon hath liberty granted him to set up a building or dwelling house in the street at the upper end of James Dorchesters fence, on the east of the Town street.
It is henceforth ordered that no person shall have any grants of lands given to ym on the same day or first day they motion for ye same, but that as they would have ye grants valid, ye shal at one Town Meeting propound their desires for the Town Lands, or for Lands the Town hath to give that ye Town may consider thereof, & at any after Town meeting their grants they may have made to them shalbe accounted regular & valid.
Thus David Morgan makes a motion to the Town that for his conveniency of fencing of west side of his homelot he may have [III - 187.] liberty to run his fence about halfe way down the banke the whole length of his home lot.
Nathaneel Burt also desires that his grant below Long medow brook may extend out another small brooke southward to the hill & that he may have an addition of ten acres, that may be of like extent.
Japhet Chapin, Jno Hitchocke wth their copartners for a Sawmill at Schenungonuck do move that they may have five acres on the top of the hill there for the use of their sawmill.
Whereas there was a vote passed tht Samuell Marshfeild & Nathanll Burt should be appointed to view that tract of land where Jonathan Burt Sen'r had a grant to see whether or noe there might not be a convenient passage highway or outlet for cattle, not wthstanding this grant. They returne this answer upon their view thereof that they judge there may in that highway of ten rod broad wch they have now laid out there.
At a Town Meeting August 4th, 1679.
Japhet Chapin, Jno Hitchcocke etc having moved at a former meeting to have a parcel of land at Schonungonucke for to accomodate them for the use of a Sawmill, at this meeting it is granted them to have six acres on the top of the hill & the low land there wch grant is to them as they set up a sawmill there & their partners worke.
Jno Dorchester at this meeting moves that he may have liberty to exchange his twenty acres of land on the plaine below Thomas Coopers land, for twenty acres of land below
Benjamin Knowltons grant in the plaine about over against Ensigne Coopers house.
Abel Leonard & Josias Leonard moved to have a grant of boggy meddow something better than a mile west from their fathers homestead over agawam wch medow lyes in two places.
At the General Town Meeting February 3d, 1679.
At this meeting several desires of several persons for Land at the two former meetings pro-pounded, were now granted to them. Also at this meeting there were divers motions or desires propounded by divers persons to have lands granted to them.
1. The Lands formerly desired & now granted are as follows:
To David Morgan his motion made ffebruary 4th 1678, is granted to him provided the land be not the land of Rowland Thomas, but the Towns land to grant, & in case it prove not prejudicial for ye watering of Cattle or otherwayes to passages, or if it do, in case he doe remove his fence upon sufficient warning given him by the Selectmen. [III - 188.]
Also Nathaneel Burt his desire to the Town February 4th 1678 to have his former grant below long medow brooke extend over another small brooke southward to ye hill, & an addition of ten acres added to be of the like extent below the said Long medow Brooke, is now granted to him. See backward meeting February 4th, 1678.
Also Jno Dorchesters motion for exchange of land made August 4th, 1679 is now accepted.
The desires of Abel & Josiah Leonard made August 4th 1679 are granted so far as that they may have three acres per peece.
At this meeting the Town being desirous to accomodate the poor widow Bemon wth some land to set an house upon, did appoint & oder that the two deacons wth Samuell Marshfield, should view the Towns highwayes & comons, to see where they may wth most conveniency to her & lest inconvenience to the highwayes & passages pay to her about a quarter of acre to set a building upon & accordingly to set out to
Continued to Next
Kathy Leigh, Webmaster