History of Springfield, MA
Volume II
Pages 291 - 330

Continued

p.291

March 14th 1698-9

Granted to John Bagg foure acres of swampe or lowland at the lower end of nonesuch meadow at the east corner of it on the west side of the great river to him, his heirs and Assignes forever, it being propounded at a former towne meeting.

At the same meeting granted to Nathaneell Morgan eight acres of land west of James Barkers without the field, to him, his heirs & Assignes forever, ithavig beene propounded at a former Towne meeting.

At the same Towne meeting granted to Samuel Miller, 9 or 10 acres ofland which lyeth upon the southerly branch of the Brooke that runneth at the head of Chickupy plaine to him, his heires & Assignes forever, it having been propounded in a former Towne meeting.

Samuel Bedortha, Ebenezer Jones & Ebenezer Miller desire the Town would grant them ten acres of land apiece in the way that goes to None Such, halfe a mile from None Such wch the Towne book attests they moved for at a former meeting. This was granted at a Town meeting March 10th, 1701-2, March 11, 1701-2 transcribed to ye original per Jno Holyoke, Towne Clerke. [III - 212.]

At a Towne Meeting the 14th of March 1698-9.

Granted to Willyam Cranny and Joseph Ely twenty acres of land, their heirs and Assignes forever which land is on the side of a hill lying by there own meadow, it having beene propounded at a former Towne meeting in November 24th 1698. At bottom of this page see grant to Henry Rogers.

At a Towne meeting August 1st 1699 Nathaneell Sikes and Increase Sikes Jun'r are possessed of five acres of land to each of them, their heirs & assignes forever which land lyeth on the easterly side of the long dingle, it being propounded at a former Towne meeting May 9th 1699.

At a Town meeting August 1st, Charles fferry and John Pettie and James Taylor Jun'r by the grant of the plantation are possessed of 30 acres of land to them, their heirs and Assignes forever, which land lyeth on a swampe called the Deep Swampe about halfe a mile on the east side Pakatuck

p.292

Brook being propounded at a former Towne meeting March 14, 1699.

At a Towne meeting January 29th, 1699 - 1700.

Joseph Wright is by grant of the Plantation possessed of 4 or 5 acres of swampe and lowland about 3 miles above Skipmuck on the north side of the river, to him, his heirs & Assignes forever, it being propounded at a former town meeting.

At this meeting Thomas Jones desired a grant of eight or ten acres of land on the south side of Chickupi River over agt Lieut Abel Wright's neck of land.

At a Town meeting January 29th, 1699 voted that whereas their being six acresof lands lying on the northerly side of the highway by Josiah Marshfield which land was not formerly dis-posed of being about 80 rod in legth and 12 rods in breadth, this land is now by the grant of the Plantation settled on the ministry on the west side of the river also at the desire of the neighbors on that side of the river, it was voted that they might alter and change land with such persons whose land doth joyne to it for as may be most commodious for the ministry.

At a Town meeting August the 1st 1699 voted and granted by the plantation it being pro-pounded at a former Towne meeting, viz: May 9, 1699 to these persons whose names are under written, all that land at a medow commonly called Great Watchchoge or Wachchuet that is undisposed of in that place to them, their heirs & Assignes forever, to each man an equal proportion which they are to decide amonge or between themselves the persons to whom this grant is given is as followeth:

Thomas Bliss, Sen'r
Samuell Ely
Luke Hitchcocke Sen'r
James Mirrick
Luke Hitchcocke Jun'r
John Burt Sen'r
Henry Burt
Tilly Mirick
John Warner

to them, their heirs & Assignes forever.

January 29th, 1699-1700.

At a Town meeting Samuel Ely desired twenty acres. See page 215.

At a Town meeting January 29, 1699, John Burt Sen'r is by grant of the Plantation possessed of 21 acres of land over or on the south side of the long dingle by way of exchange

p.293

for as many acres of land over the entry dingle which he the said John Burt bought of Charles fferry Sen'r and doth now resigne it up into the Townes hands for so much over the long dingle to him, his heirs and Assignes forever it being propounded at a former Towne Meeting.

At a Town meeting March 14, 1688-9

At this meeting the Towne did grant Henry Rogers eight or ten acres of land, be it more or less in the swamp that runs from Mednegonuck to Silver streame, said grantee having moved for it at a preceeding meeting March 8, 1698-8.

March 11, 1701-2 - written from the attested paper of the Towne Clerke
Attest John Holyoke, Clerke for ye Town.


[III - 213.]

At a Town Meeting ffebruary 29th, 1699.

Jonathan Burt, Jun'r is possessed by grant of the Plantation of six acres of boggy meddow land upon great Watchuet Brooke being a mile and half below the medow at great Watchuet medow, to him, his heirs & Assignes forever, it being propounded at a former Towne meeting.

At a Towne Meeting January 29th, 1699, Increase Sikes Sen'r is by grant of the Plantation possessed of 2 acres of land on the north side of sd entry dingle by way of exchange for like quantitie of land on the south side of sd entry dingle to him, his heirs & assigns forever, he resigning his former land up into the Towns hands againe, this was read at a former Town Meeting August 1st, 1699.

Capt. Thomas Colton is possessed forever which land lyeth on the east side of Barke hall commonly so called on the hill on the South side of the brooke that runs into Bark hall medow. Also 6 acres of swamp land lying about halfe a mile eastward from Bark hall on the small brook that runs into Bark hall meadow, granted March 12th, 1699-1700 it being propounded at a former Towne meeting.

At a Town meeting January 29th, James Warrener Sen'r, James Warriner Jun'r and William Warriner are possessed

p.294

of ten acres of land each of them by the grant of the Plantation to them, their heirs & Assignes forever, each of them ten acres a peece upon sixteen acre plaine on this side or southwest end of Stony hill, the south side of the path that goeth to sixteene acres it being propounded at a former Towne Meeting.

Joseph Cooley is by the grante of the Plantation possessed of 20 acres of land to him and his heirs forever upon the hill northeast from his house, it being propounded at a former Towne meeting being granted at a Towne meeting January 29, 1699-1700.

At a Towne meeting January 29, 1699.

Isaac ffrost is by the grante of the Plantation possessed of 20 acres of land to him, his heirs & Assigns forever, lying on the West northwest from Jonathan Taylors field, it being propounded at a former Towne meetig May 9, 1699.

Joseph Stebbins Sen'r is by grant of the Plantation possessed of 3 or foure acres of swamp land over Agawam River against the necke if it be there to be had, granted March 12th, 1700 it being propounded at a former Towne meeting ffebruary 9th 1700.

Daniel Cooley is by the grant of the plantation possessed of 4 or 5 acres of medow to him, his heirs and Assignes forever at Wachcog Brook neare Endfield bounds if it be there to be had, granted August 1st 1699 being read in a former Towne meeting february 3, 1698.

At a Towne Meeting December 10th, 1700.

The heirs of Isaac Colton have granted to them, their heirs & assignes forever, 20 acres of land upon the hill on the back end of the murry meddow on the south side of rasbury brooke on the back side of the long meddow, it being propounded at a former Towne meeting March 12th, 1700.

Ephraim Colton Jun'r is possessed of 20 acres of land to him, his heirs & assignes forever, by the grant of the Plantation March 11th, 1700, it being propounded at a former Towne meeting March 12th, 1700, which land is behind the Muxey meddow up the great hill on the south side of Rasbery Brooke.

p.295

At this meeting was granted to Thomas Jones & his heirs & assignes, his desires of eight or ten acres of land propounded January 29th, 1699.
Registered March 23, 1701-2              Per Jno Holyoke, Clerke.

[III - 214.]

At a Town meeting March 12th 1699-1700, granted to Jonathan Taylor Jun'r 20 acres of land at a place called Goosebery swampe on the west side of the great River or else where if it be not there to be found granted to him, his heirs and Assignes forever it being propounded at a former Towne meeting January 22.

A Towne meeting March 11, 1700, Samuel Stebbins is by grant of the Plantation posessed of 3 or 4 acres of land on the South side of his owne land upon the hill behinde the pond and on the north side of Nathanyel Burt Sen'r his land it being read in a former Town meeting March 12th 1699-1700.

Also granted to Tilly Mirick five or six acres of land joining to land he had of his father Miricke at two mile gutter or thereabouts, it being desired January 29, 1699.

At a Towne meeting March 11, 1700, Nathaniell Bliss possessed by grant of the plantation of 20 acres of land ajoyning to Enfield bounds to him, his heires and assignes forever, it being propounded at a former Town meeting lying behind at meeting Eliakim Cooley moved for land. See page 118.

At a Towne meeting March 11, 1700, Danyell Cooley by grant of Plantation is posessed of 10 acres of land to him, his heirs & asignes forever, it being propounded at a former Towne meeting December 10th, 1700 which land by the easterly of his house.

Att a Towne Meeting May 12, 1701.

Benjamin Brooks desires the Towne to grant him 12 or 14 acres of land on the north side of Chickuppy River.

John Rogers desires the Towne to grant him four or six acres of land upon the top of the great Hill, on the west side of the river.

p.296

Jonathan Ball desires the Towne to grant him 10 or 12 acres of land to build on being on the top of the great hill behind Samuell Days house on the west side of the great River.

Ebenezer Jones desires the Towne to grant him six acres of land on the hill behind Samuell Days house on the west side of the River.

Att a meeting of the Inhabitants of this Towne November 21st 1701, John Soley desires the Towne to grant him twenty acres of land lying on the west side of the River at a place commonly called the deep swamp.

David Lumbard desires the Towne to grant him 2 or 3 acres of land by the side of his owne land at Pecowsick for conveniency of fencing.

Samuell Ball desires the Towne to grant him 20 acres of land neer Paucatuck brooke.
[III - 215.]

Att a meeting of the inhabitants of this Towne on the same day, viz: November 21, 1701.

There is granted to Lieut. Jonathan Ball twenty acres of land lying neer the great Falls & nigh the land wch is already given out by the Towne, being desired at a former meeting.

Tilly Mirick, Nathaneel Sikes & Increase Sikes Jun'r have granted unto them twenty acres apeice above the head of Paucausick Brook.

There is granted to Benjamin Smith twenty acres of land neer Paucatuck brooke.

Benjamin Cooley Jun'r & Daniel Cooley his brother, desires the Towne to grant them ten acres of land apiece on the hill easterly of their house.

In the handwriting of John Holyoke.

December 10, 1700, at a Town meeting, Ebenezer Parsons desired the Town to give ten or twelve acres of land on the West side of ye great River on ye great hill the Muxy medow.

p.297

December 10, 1700. At a Town Meeting of the Town of Springfield.

At this meeting Ebenezer Jones & Ebenezer Miller & John Petty did move to the Town to give them twenty or thirty acres of land on the west side the great River, lying on the Pine Plaine on the backside of None Such Medow, & joining to Joseph Bedortha's land.

Also Ebenezer Jones & Ebenezer Miller did desire the Town to grant them eight or ten acres of land joining to their former desire of land March 14, 1698-99.

March 11, 1701-2. Written from the attested papers of the Clerke for ye Towne.

Per me, John Holyoke, Clerke of the Towne.

Thomas Hale at a Town meeting March 12, 1699-1700 desired the Town to grant him six or eight acres of boggy medow at the head of the northern branch of Longmedow Brooke.

March 12, 1699-1700. Samuel ffrost had a grant of 20 acres for wch see page 220.

Thomas Hale March 11th, 1700-1 at that Town meeting had his above desire of land granted him.

Thomas Hale desired the Town (at a Town Meeting March 11, 1700-1) to grant him Ten acres of land on the gret Hill agt Longmedow a little below or next to Samuell Stebbins his grant there.

John ffowler at a Town Meeting March 11, 1700-1 desired the Town to grant him twenty acres on the Pine Plaine by Paucatucke.

January 29, 1699-1700.

At this Meeting Samuel Ely desired the Town to grant him twenty acres of land on the west side the great River on the North side of Agawam River between the mouth of Block brooke & Silver stream by Agawam Riverside: & then at the Town Meeting March 12 1699-1700 the Town did grant sd Samuell Ely his desire viz: they granted him twenty acres of land at the place above said,

p.298

as appeared by certificate from Jonathan Burt, Town Clerke.

May 24, 1703. This Entered here by John Holyoke Town Clerke.

[III - 216.]            The Towne Clerke or Clerkes.

March 10, 1701-2. At a General Town Meeting of the freeholders & other inhabitants of Springfield.

Voted: Whereas a few persons have at some former Town Meeting presented yr desires in writing that the Inhabitants would give them lands, & had the former clerke or clerkes of the Town his attests to sd writings, that the sd persons desires for grants of lands were prsented to & read in or at one Meeting & that ye desires were granted at an after meeting but have lost their papers so attested y the former clerke or clerks - it is now voted that ye prsent Clerke make an entry of their grants unless he sees good reason in behalfe of the Town not to do so.

According to the above sd vote of the Town, March 10, 1702, here is entered a grant of twenty acres of land to John ffowler on the South side of Agawam River, he haveing desired it at a former meeting.

Also yr is granted twenty acres of land to John Worthington neer about feeding hills on the south side of Agawam River, he haveing desired it at a former meeting.

Samuel Bodurtha, Ebenezer Jones & Ebenezer Miller their desire March 14, 1698-1699 that ye Town would grant ym ten acres of land apiece in the way that goes to None Such about a halfe a mile from None Such was granted to them at the abovesd meeting March 10, 1701-2.

Here followes coppys of the desiresof many persons propounded to ye Towne to grant them lands wch were presented at former meetings, but at yet not entered in ye Records.

Samuell Barber moved the Town March 11, 1700-1 to grant him 20 acres of land on the west side of Pacatuck Brooke, if it be to be found there, if not anywhere else upon the comons wr it shal not wrong former grants. Granted at the Meeting March 20, 1702-2 or confirmed by said Baker.

p.299

James Tailer Jun'r desire of six or eight acres of land to join to his father, James Tailors grant on ye west side or northwest side of Samuell Lamb his lot neer Paucatucke: being prsented at a former Metting is now granted to him: March 10 1701-2 or confirmed to sd Tailor.

Samuell Chapin, Thomas Chapin & John Chapin desire the Town to grant ym a parcel of land containing sixty acres more or lesse, lying on the north side of Woolomans Seck & bounded on the great River: prsented at a meeting March 11, 1700-1. Granted at the meeting March 10, 1701-2 or confirmed to them.

Gersham Hale at ye Meeting March 11, 1700-1 moved to the Town to grant him twenty acres of land on the south side of Agawam upon the feeding hill below Isaac ffrosts land. Granted March 10, 1700-1 or confirmed to him.

John Killum at the Town meeting March 11, 1700-1 moved yt ye towne would give him eight or ten acres of land upon the Hill between that land he bought of Joseph Bodurtha & yt wch ye Town hath already given him: Granted March 10, 1701-2 or confirmed to him, said Killum.

Here followes a grant for a Saw Mill not yet recored:

Mr. Pelatiah Glover, Jonathan Morgan & Davie Morgan did move to the Town that they would grant them & to such as shal join wth them the stream of the River of Skipmuck at Walamanumps to set up a Saw Mill and liberty of land near the said Place, wch was first read at a meeting December 10, 1700 & at another meeting of the Town March 11, 1700-1, was granted to ym. All those motions of the several grantees above said also for the forsaid lands, also the Grants of stream & timber for Saw Mill were given to sd Grantees as appeares by certificate under the hand of the then Town Clerke, viz: Jonathan Burt & although not yet recorded are now confirmed to sd Barker & Tailor & Chapins & Hale & Killum & saw mill partners - March 10, 1701-2.
As attests John Holyoke, Clerk for ye Town.

Here followes divers persons motions for Land at ye Generall Town Meeting above said, viz: March 10, 1701-2

p.300

Samuel Stebbins desires the Town would grant him three or four acres of medow on the east side of Wachoge Brooke wch lyeth partly agt Daniel Cooleys & partly agt Jonathan Burts grants or lands wch lye on the west side of said Brooke.

Isaac ffrost doth desire the Town would change land wth him, viz: by granting him 20 acres at raile swamp below Agawam River, said joining [III - 217.] to Thomas Day his land there, for twenty acres of land wch was granted him, northwest from Jonathan Tailors field.

John Ely desires the Town would give him Ten acres of land between Wheel medow Brook & Long medow Brooke on the Plain in some convenient place.

Ebenezer Day & John Petty desire the Town to grant to them thirty acres of land lying on Pacutuck brooke at the upper end of the Pine plaine.

Samuel Leonard did desire the Town to grant him ten acres of land upon the brooke called the Second brooke below Agawam River & Joyning to Josiah Leonards medow there.

Josiah Marshfield did desire the Town to grant him ten acres of land lying on ye east side of Agawam River.

Samuel Bliss 2nd, desires the Town to grant him twenty acres of land lying southwest from Thomas Hales land on Longmedow brooke.

Nathaneel Bliss 2nd, desires the Town to grant him twenty acres of land lying southwest from Thomas Hales land on Long medow brooke.

David Chapin desires the Town to grant him ten acres of land on the south side of Wolamansecke.

Thomas Colton desires the Town to grant him Ten acres of Land on the East side of the Great Pond on the hill, if it be yr to be had.

John Hitchcocke Jun'r desire the Town to grant him twenty acres of land lying on the south side of the Spring that runs out of the medow called Jones his medow.

George Colton desires the Town to Grant him ten acres of land below Wheel medow dingle agt Nathaneel Burts land on the 2nd hill.

p.301

Charles fferry desires the Town to grant him ten acres of Land joining to his former grant at the place called Deep Swamp.

Thomas Hale desires the Town to grant him ten acres of land upon the hill agt the Longmeadow five acres adjoining to his own land & five acres above the bridge that goes over Long medow Brooke.

Ephraim Colton Jun'r desires the Town would grant him ten acres of land upon the hill agt the Long medow.

Mr. Pelatiah Glover desires the Town would grant him ten acres of land adjoining to his Land at Pacowsecke neer the land called the Spring pieces.

Samuel Wariner doth desire the Town to grant him fifteen acres of land on the east side of Paucatuck Brooke upon the pine plaines.

January 5th, 1702. At a Town Meeting.

Jonathan Ball desires the Town to grant him twenty acres of land neer the great falls joining to yt which the town gave him formerly.

Jonathan Burt Jun'r desies the Town to give him twelve acres of land on ye great hill on the back side of Long medow, on ye east side of Samuel Stebbins his land or thereabouts.

John Atchison desires the Town to give him ten acres of land on ye great hill over agt long medow on ye east side ye long dingle neer agt Thomas Hale his land; also to give him six acres of Low land on Long medow Brooke a little below or westwardly of Elys Bridge.

Nathaneel Mighill of Westfield desires the Town to give him ten acres of land neer his land which he hath in Springfield for conveniency of building. [III - 218.]

January 29th 1702-3.

At a Town Meeting of the town of Springfield.

At this meeting the Inhabitants of Long medow or the most of them did prsent a petition to the Town, that they would grant them land on the hill eastward of Longmedow to build on for homelots to the number of sixty or eighty

p.302

homelots & to be of twenty rods breadth & eighty Rods length or that the Town would order those lands to be modelled so as may be most comfortable for settling thereon, to which Petition they subscribed their names, & the sd Petition is transcribed in page 275 of this book & see page 219 & p. 277.

Also Ebenezer Parsons desires the town would grant to him twenty or thirty acres of land above Chickupi field on the west side of the great River.

At a meeting of the ffreeholders of the Town of Springfield ffebruary 22, 1702-3.

Charles ffere desires the Town to grant him six acres of land at a place called Suckey Swamp about halfe a mile westward from his house.

Samuell Bliss Sen'r desires the town would grant him ten acres on the hill on the back side of Long medow.

Samuel Day desires ye town to grant him six acrs of land upon the great hill joining to his house lot.

Jeremiah Horton desires the Town to give him fifteen acres of land upon Stony hill on the North side of Skipmuck River.

Thomas Horton desires the Town to grant him fifteen acres of land on Stony hill on the north side of Skipmuck River.

Benjamin Horton desires the town would grant him twelve acres of land on Stony hill over Skipmuck river.

John Fowler desires the Town would grant him eighteen acres of land at the place called Suckey Swamp.

March 9, 1702-3.

At the Generall Town Meeting of the Town of Springfield.

Mr. Pelatiah Glover his desires propounded January 29, 1702-3 are now granted him.

Eliakim Cooley hath granted to him four or five acres of medow swamp or low land uon a small brooke wch runeth out of Matthews his swamp so called, about a mile below Matthews his Swamp, he haveing moved for it at a Town Meeting March 11, 1700-1.

p.303

Thomas Horton his motion for land at ye meeting february 22, 1702-3 is now granted him.

Benjamin Hortons motion for land at ye meeting february 22, 1702-3 is now granted him.

Tilly Miricke desires the Town would grant him four or five acres of land joyning to his own land at Pacowseek for conveniency of fencing.

Henry Chapin Jun'r desires the town would grant him six acres of land on the hill at the east end of Jno Crowfootes house lot.

Joseph leonard Jun'r desires the town would grant him ten acres of land lying upon the basking place brooke.

John Crowfoote desires the Town to grant him fifteen acres of land on the plain between Ely brooke & John Crowfoot Brooke. [III - 219.]

Samuel Colton desires the Town to give him ten acres of land writ may be had.

William Bliss & Pelatiah Bliss, Benjamin Stebbins & Thomas Stebbins desire the town to give them ten acres of land apiece on the north side of the northerly branch of Mill River, a little way westerly from ffere's farme, & partly against James Dorchesters medow.

September 27th.

Att this meeting the Petition of the inhabitants of the Long Medow presented at the Town Meeting January 29 1702-3 was considered and it was voted to give liberty to build upon the hill eastward of sd long medow.

And it was further voted to give the land from Pecowseeke to Enfield bounds & from the hill eastward of the Long medow a mile further eastward into the woods unto the said Long medow inhabitants, & unto such others as a comittee appointed by the Town shal allow, in al wch they shalbe ordered & modelled in such way & manner, as may be most comfortable to settle on, reserving liberty for convenient highwayes. See p. 277.

March 26, 1703.

At a meeting of the ffreeholders of Springfield.

p.304

Joseph Cooley Sen'r desires liberty of the Town to butt his dam for his fulling mill, to butt it on the south side of the mill River over agt his land above the grist mill & so much land or gravel as may be necessary for damming withal & the stream of the mill river if it be theirs to give in this place.

May 3, 1703. At a meeting of the ffreeholders of ye Towne of Springfield. Henry Chapin Sen'r desires the Town would give about four acres of land on the side of the hill southerly of his own land that lyes below Benjamin Wrights homelot & to lye from the highway unto ye great River, & this instead of three rod of land in breadth that he yeilds up for this highway from his house til it meet wth ye highway that leades to Chickuppi river.

January 7, 1703-4.

At a meeting of the ffreeholders of the Town of Springfield.

Charles ffere (alias) fferrey) did move the town to grant him two acres of boggy medow on the west side of the grear River between the great pond & the mountaine.

March 14th 1703-4. At ye Generall Town Meeting for election of officers for Springfield.

Jonathan Bagg desire the town to give him twenty acres of land westward from his house.

March 13, 1704-5.

At a meeting of the freeholders of the Town of Springfield.

Jonathan Bagg hath twenty acres granted to him westward from his huose according to his motion at the preceding meeting.

Joseph Cooley Sen'r his desire as above sd March 6, 1703 is now granted him.

Samuel Stebbins his desire for the grant of three or four acres of medow on the east side of Watchoge Brooke agt Daniell Cooleys & Jonathan Burt Jun'rs their lands on the west side of the brooke, was not granted him having moved for it at a former meeting March 10, 1701-2
[III - 220.]

John Burt desiring the Town to give six acres of land on the north side of Pacowseek adjoyning to his own land.

p.305

John Petty desires liberty of the stream on Darbys Brooke & three or four acres of land convenient thereunto about half a file from Samuell Millers house.

Samuell Ball desires the grant of ten acres of land lying on the North east side of that land which he bought of the widow Swinke for conveniency of fencing.

Jonathan Worthington desires the grant of twenty acres of land lying on the west side of the bobby medow that is on three mile Brooke.

John ffere desires the Town to give him eight acres of land on the south side of Pacow-seek adjoining to his own land for conveniency of fencing. This desire of Jno ffere above sd was granted at a Town meeting March 12, 1705-6.

John ffowler desireth the Town to give him twenty acrs of land that he sayes the Town did formerly give him.

The Comittee of the precinct on the west side of ye great River do desire a tract of land of about an hundred acres lying on the brook that is on the Pine Plaine & runeth into ye River at the Southerly end of the land of the Parsons to be given to ye minister for his better settlement.

Samuel ffrost had granted to him by the Town at a meeting March 12th, 1699-1700, (see page 215) twenty acres of Upland Joining to [ ] Brookes his land below Agawam River on the west side Westfield road: he, said ffrost having propounded his desire for the same at a former meeting, May 12th, 1699.

At a General Town Meeting: March 12, 1706-6 of the Town of Springfield.

The ffreeholders etc did grant to Jonathan Burt Jun'r about two acres of land, viz: the vacant lot at the end of the lot that was called his grandmother's lot & at the end of Samuell Stebbins his lot on the hill, he propounded for it at ye meeting December 25, 1705.

Also to James Stevenson was granted six acres of land or upland, to lye to his own land west from his medow, neer where his house standeth below Agawam River,he having motioned for it at a former meeting March 12th, 1699-1700.

p.306

Daniell Cooley hath eight or ten acres of land granted him joining to his land at Pacowseek on the south side of it for conveniency of fencing: having moved for this grant at the Meeting December 25, 1705.

May 13, 1706.

At a meeting of the freeholders of the Town of Springfield.

Samuel Warner, Ebenezer Wariner & Ebenezer Warner have granted them twenty acres of land apiece, which land lyes on the south side of Little Wachoge path on the south end of the hill, viz: Wachoge hill, they having moved for it at a former meeting, saving former grants & liberty for convenient wayes.

January 9, 1706-7.

At a meeting of the freeholders of ye Town of Springfield.

At this meeting there was granted to Jonathan Worthington twenty acres of land moved for at the Town Meeting March 13, 1704-5.

At this meeting Tilly Mirick & Samuell Ely did desire the priviledge for a saw mill on the northerly end of Schonungonuck bar & the Town grants them ye desire provided it hinder no former grant & said Samuel Ely did surrender all his right in sd grant to Mr. Joseph Parsons.

February 28, 1706-7.

At a meeting of the ffreeholders of the Town of Springfield.

James Sikes hath granted to him eight or ten acres of land at the southerly branch of Long medow brooke, by the Moheag Path, joining to his wet medow for conveniency of fencing. Said Sikes having desired it at a former meeting.

Thomas Horton desired at a former meeting that the Town would grant him four acres [III -221.] of land on the brooke that comes through their field over the River, wch the Town granted him at this meeting.

Joseph Ely hath granted him ten acres of land lying on the brooke called Riley's brooke at the place called Plumtree medow, said Ely having desired at a former meeting.

At Springfield, March 11th, 1706-7.

At the Generall Town

p.307

meeting of ye two conditions for all the following grants, viz: Saving former grants & allowing for highwayes, are the conditions of all ye following grants:

The desire or Petition of the Inhabitants of the West side of the great River prsented at the meeting January 9, 1706-7 (see page 282) was now at this meeting granted to sd inhabitants viz: The voters at this meeting did agree & vote them to have land on the great hill westerly of ye meeting house to extend from the southerly end of sd hill to the north end of Chickuppi field, as also to have land on the south side of Agawam River on the Plain from Benjamin Leonards land down to Samuel Coopers, for house lots, saving former grants & providing that no lots exceed twenty acres, & allowing sufficently for highwayes, also ex-pressing that herein they provide for such as may come to them from the east side of ye great River as also for others, & also did appoint Major John Pynchon, Mr. Joseph Parsons, Joseph Williston, Benjamin Leonard & John Miller to be a Comittee to manage the affair of modeling the grants of these lands for house lots & they to make report of their act to the Town at the next Town Meeting of the freeholders etc., did express that they did reckon or understand the above grant to be to the Inhabitants on both sides of ye great River.

Benjamin Brookes, Edward Horton, Thomas Horton & David Chapin have granted to them forty acres of land on the north side of Chickuppi River from Schonungonuck path that goes out of ye River & so up the River & adjoyning to the River, so lye & have ten acres apiece granted them, they having desired it at the former meetings, especially at ye meeting February 28, 1706-7, saving former grant & highwayes.

Samuel Stebbins Jun'r & Thomas Powell have the grant of three or four acres of wet medow on the east side of Wachoge brooke & bordering on the land of Samuel Stebbins Sen'r there southerly, to be equally divided between them, they moving for ye same, March 12, 1705-6, saving former grants & highwayes.

John Barber hath granted him eight or ten acres of land

p.308

to lye to his former grant below Askununsit beyond Block Bridge, having moved for ye same March 12, 1705-6 saving former grants & highwayes.

Mr. Joseph Parsons hath the grant of a piece of Swamp land lying on Dirty Gutter on the South side of the Bay Path & running down to Tilly Mirickes land, & also eight or ten acres of land on the east side of said swamp wth the reserve that he allow four rod for an high-waye between Tilly Miricks land & sd swamp, having moved for it January 9, 1706-7, saving former grants & needful highwayes.

Tilly Mirick hath granted him two or three acres at Pacowseek, joining to his own land there, having propounded his desire for it, at a former meeting, November, 1701.

Samuel Colton hath the grant of seven acres of land northeasterly of ye great medow, having propounded for it February 28, 1706-7, saving former grants & highwayes needful.

Nathaneel Sikes Sen'r hath the grant of Two or three acres of land on the south side of his own land at Pacowseeke having moved for it January 9, 1706-7, saving former highwayes.

Thomas Smith of Suffield hath liberty to mow three small pieces of boggy medow near the southwest corner of Springfield bounds, between Muddy Brooke & the mountaine, til the Town see cause to deny him further use thereof.

William Mack Craney & Joseph Ely have granted them by freeholders twenty acres of land per piece lying on the brooke on the plain on the left hand or westerly side of Northampton road under the mountaine having moved for the same at a former meeting, highwayes & former grants first saved.

At this said meeting the east side Inhabitants granted a rate of 3 to be raised for Henry Burt.

With reference to the grant of land for a new set of house lots on the west side of ye great River as above sd (at the Meeting March 11, 1706-7). This question was put to the

p.309

Town to resolve on or answer, viz: whether the Town did understand the said grant to be to the West side Inhabitants only or also to the east side inhabitants & the answer was the sd grant was to the Inhabitants on both sides the great River, the Town did reckon it to be so. [III - 222.]

Samuel Warner hath granted to him ten acres at the rear of his homelot & joining to John Burts land then southerly having moved for it at a former meeting.

March 9, 1707-8.

At a Meeting of the ffreeholders & other inhabitants of Springfield:

Mr. Joseph Parsons hath the grant from the Town of one or two acres of land on the North side of Agawam River at the end of the great hill & liberty of the stream sufficient for damming for the setting up & improving a Grist Mill & if he do not build a grist mill wthin two yeeres there, then said grant to be void, having moved for it at a former meeting. Saving former grants & allowing for highwayes.

Minister - Rev. Mr. Daniel Brewer

The Reverend Mr. Daniel Brewer is granted by the Town to have two small ponds lying near together about three miles of the Town with a swamp a little below, containing three or four acres more or lesse, together wth such proportions of upland, as may be convenient for draining or fencing said lands, having afore moved for it at a former meeting, allowing for highwayes.

Benjamin Leonard is granted by the Town to have three or four acres of land to lye to a former grant westward from his brother Joseph Leonards Mill for conveniency of fencing. Ye motion for it was at a former meeting, saving for highways.

John Webb is by the Town granted to have ten acres of land on the plain between Thomas Terreys land & Elys Brooke, having moved for it at a former meeting: allowing for highwayes.

Nathaneel Sikes Jun'r is granted by the Town to have six acres of land at the upper end of Chickuppi field on the west side of ye great River, to joine to his land there & above his

p.310

land there having desired it at a former meeting: allowing for conenient highwayes.

April 2, 1708.

At a meeting of the freeholders & other inhabitants of Springfield.

Jonathan Ball is by the Town granted to have twenty acres of land ner the land he hath at the great falls; having moved for it at a former meeting, saving former grants and allowing for highwayes.

Samuel Miller Sen'r is granted to have ten acres or twelve acres of land on the mountain agt the lower end of the great Pond, westerly of William Cranys house. Also to have ten acres to lye on the north side of the land the town hath formerly given him on the backside of Chickuppi field having moved for both grants at a former meeting. Saving former grants & highwayes.

Ebenezer Jones Jun'r is granted to have ten acres of land upon Block Brooke to lye northerly of the land given to Lazarus Miller, having moved for it at a former meeting, allowing for highwayes & former grants.

Samuel Barker is granted to have ten acres of land lying on Paucatuck Brooke on the west-ward side of said brooke. Not to intrude on former grants, having moved for it at a former meeting, allowing for highwayes and former grants.

Obadiah Miller & Luke Hitchcocke Jun'r have granted to them the use of Mill River between the Town Saw Mill & the medow called Clarkes medow to set up some works to make Iron & land convenient for managing the designe, having moved for ye same at a former meeting.

John Ely is granted to have twenty acres of land lying on the South side of agawam River & about a mile & halfe or two miles southwest of Joseph Leonards house & near the Day's farther swamp having desired it, [III - 223.] at a former meeting allowing for highwayes & former grants.

March 8, 1708-9. At the General Town Meeting.

Jonathan Bagg is granted to have ten or twelve acres joining to Ebenezer Jones land at the place called the Training field on the west side the great River, allowing for highwayes

p.311

& saving former grants, haveing motioned for it at a former meeting.

Samuel Ball is granted to have ten acres to lye to the land he had of Goodwife Swinke ye negro, saving former grants & highwayes he desired it at a former meeting.

Nathaneel Dumbleton his desire at a former meeting to have twenty acres of land on the south side of the way that goeth from Terrey's medow to the ponds is now granted him saving highwayes & former grants.

Nathaneel Burt Sen'r is granted thirty acrs on the reer of the homelots on ye south side of Wheel medow dingle, for thirty acres on the north side of Longmeadow, yielded up to the town; saving highwayes & former grants, moved for at a former meeting.

Increase Sikes Jun'r desired at a former meeting the Town to give him two or three acres in the Long Dingle above a mile from the River & joining to his upland, & to the top of the hill on the west side of sad dingle for conveniency of fencing wch is not granted him, saving former grants & highwayes.

Luke Hitchcocke Sen'r is granted by the Town to have eight or ten acres below three mile Brooke between his land there & south said bounds by ye great River saving former grants & high wayes, having moved for it at a former meeting.

Benjamin Bemon is granted to him his desire at a former meeting of a little piece of land between his house & the Horton land for conveniency of fenching & watering. Saving highwayes & former grants.

John Crowfoot desires at a former meeting is granted, viz: to have fifteen or sixteen acres upon the Pine Plain joining to the brooke that runs down his home lot, saving highwayes.

Samuel Tailor is granted ten acres of land joining to Jonathan Worthington & lying to the North of Buck Hill, saving highwayes & former grants, having moved for it at a former meeting.

p.312

Michael Towsley hath a grant of ten acres on the southerly end of James Tailors land taken at Tatam, having desired it at a former meeting, yet saving highwayes & former grants.

John Lumbard is granted to have ten acres of land on the home side of long dingle & joining to the dingle saving needful wayes & former grants, having moved for it at a former meeting.

John Warner intending to remove his Grist mill above Joseph Coolys Fulling Mill is granted to have liberty to, but his dam against the bank of the easterly side of the Mill River & a free liberty of a way to his dam, & liberty of gravel, having moved for it at a former meeting, wch way is to be of free use to any that may want the same.

Nathaneel Munn & Thomas Jones have liberty granted them to improve ten or twelve acres of land on the Pine Plain between End Brooke & Skipmuck Road, for the space of ten or twelve yeeres.

December 1, 1709.

At a Town Meeting.

Jehojadah Bartlet was granted to have twenty acres of land over Hog Pen Dingle Brooke in the low land that lieth by the side of the little brooke that runs out of Thomas Jones his medow provided he improve the same within five yeeres & saving highwayes & former grants, having moved for it at a former meeting.

March 14, 1709-10 at the Generall Town Meeting.

Joseph Leonard Jun'r desires liberty to run his fence from his homelot to the River & promises to maintaine a convenient gate for the use of the highway, on wch conditions his desire is granted. [III - 224.]

March 14, 1709-10.

At the Generall Town Meeting.

The Proprietors of the wood lots from the middle causeway to the upper causeway over the medows doe desire that the Town would grant or Order an highway or street through the Town Lot or Ministry lot & so all those said lots of three or four rods breadth that they may be in capacity to build on those

p.313

lots & that the Town would grant those lots to run to the brow or top of the hill or Training Field, to make up what the said highway shal take out of the Lots, & the way so to run as that it may be built on both sides, which the Town did grant & did appoint John Hitchcocke Sen'r, James Warriner Sen'r & John Burt Sen'r, the town Measurer for Lands to lay out said highway & to lay additions to the sd respective lots: for the laying out this above granted highway, see the next page forward.

Gershom ffere having at a former meeting desired two acres of land at the rear of his home lot granted his desire at this meeting, if he improve the same in five yeeres time, also allowing for highwayes & former grants.

Tilly Miricks desire at a former meeting to have two or three acres of land at Entry Dingle & adjoining to his land, be bought of Colonial Pynchon is now granted on condition he improve the same in five yeeres & saving for highwayes & former grants.

John Hitchcocke Jun'r is granted to have two or three acres of low land & wet medow lying at the head of the spring wch runs into Mill River at Samuel Bliss his meadow, saving highwayes & former grants, having moved for it at a former meeting.

James Wariner Jun'r (haveing formerly desired) is now granted to have ten acres of land to improve twelve yeeres the land lying agt Goose Pond & between Mill River path & the Log path: saving highwayes & former grants.

Matthew Crowfoot (having formerly desired) is now granted to have eight or ten acres of land to improve for twelve yeeres, the land lyes a little below Goose Pond on this side of the Stone Pit Brooke, saving highwayes & former grants.

Luke Hitchcocke Sen'r, John Mirick, Thomas Miricke & Tilly Miricke are granted liberty to improve ten acres apiece at Five Mil Ponds for twelve yeeres, allowing for highwayes & former grants.

Mathew Crowfoot & Ephriam Bartlet have liberty of im-

p.314

provement of eight acres apiece at the Five Mile Ponds (& adjoining to Luke Hitchcocke & Jno Miricke their grants) for twelve yeeres saving highwayes & former grants.

Nathaneel Sikes Sen'r, Joseph Parsons, John Burt, Sen'r & Benjamin Knowlton have liberty granted to them of twelve yeeres improvement of ten acres per piece up the Long Hill be-tween the old Fort & Long Dingle. Saving highwayes & former grants.

David Morgan Sen'r, Pelatiah Morgan, David Morgan Jun'r & Jonathan Morgan 3d, have liberty granted them of twelve yeeres improvement of ten acres per piece at ffere farme, saving highwayes & former grants.

Daniel Parsons (formerly desiring) the grant of a little swamp that emptyes itselfe into Stone Pit Brooke containing about six acres lying next to land that was Tilly Miricks land formerly, by a little boggy medow right agt the further end of Goose Pond, is now granted his sd desire provided he improve it in five yeeres time & saving highwayes & former grants.

Jacob Adams of Suffield desiring formrly to have land granted him of conveniency of fencing his medow upon Muddy Brooke, hath now granted him liberty to fence according to his desire & that his fence shall stand during the pleasure of the Town or the Proprietors, saving former grants & highwayes.

Thomas Colton, Jun'r formerly desiring to have ten acres in ye swamp called Mathews his swamp, neer ye head of ye north branch of ffresh Water Brooke, is now granted to [III -225.] have his desire provided he improve the land in seven yeeres time & saving highwayes & former grants.

Joseph Leonard Jun'r having formerly at a Town Meeting desired liberty to run his fence from his homelot to the River promising to maintain a convenient gate for the use of the highway was granted at the abovesaid meeting this said conveniency for fencing upon con-dition aforesaid.

[III - 225.] May 8th, 1710. At a Town Meeting:

Christian Van Horeen is allowed the improvement of ten

p.315

acres of land lying next below the land of Samuel Frost, & between his land & the road to Westfield & next to Block Brooke, & for the space of ten or twelve yeeres & then to return to the Town.

Born Van Horeen is allowed the improvement of ten acres of land lying & joining to Thomas Terreys land he bought of Daniell Cooley for the space of ten or twelve yeeres & then to return to the Town.

May 8, 1710.

We whose names are underwritten were appointed to lay out the highway or street across the woodlots from the way over the middle causeway or country road to the upper causeway have accordingly done the same. And the said way lyes by the east side of the houselot of Luke Hitchcocke Jun'r & there we have set two stakes on the east side of said way, & so along cross to the Ministry lot & there a stadle is marked on the west side & a stake on the east side & so also across Mr. Parsons lot & Mr. Holyokes lot, & so to the Garden Brooke, a little above the fence at said Mr. John Pynchons medow & so along cross sd Mr. John Pynchons woodlot, that belongs to his medow, & beyond that to the reer of his woodlots above or northward & so to run betwixt them & Edward Stebbins Sen'r, his wood lot, & to cross his sd lot to the road that goes up the great hill beyond John Webbs: This way is laid out four rods wide.

By us:
John Burt, Sen'r
James Wariner, Sen'r
John Hitchcocke, Sen'r

See the next page backward & the first section.

Transcribed from the original (on file) as attests John Holyoke, Clerke for the Town of Springfield.

November 27, 1710. At a meeting of the ffreeholders & other inhabitants of Springfield.

Tilly Miricke is granted to have about twenty acres of land at the east end of the lot that was Jacob Cranes, the

p.316

grant to be of the breadth of six rod, it being moved for a former meeting as a recompense for land taken out of his lot to inlarge the highway east of the middle causeway. Granted so as to save former grants.

March 13, 1710-11.

This being the meeting for the election of Town Officers etc for the ensuing yeer.

Pelatiah Bliss is granted to have four or five acres of land at the easterly end of ye lot that was Tilly Miricks wood lot, on the east side of the great river, saving former grants and highwayes.

John Day, Ebenezer Parsons & Isaac ffrost intending to set up a grist mill upon Agawam River have a grant of the steam, & ten acres of land on the northeasterly side of the river at the end of the great hill & if they desert the affair, the grant to return to the Town, saving also former grants & highwayes.

Jonathan Tailor of Suffield showed how Jacob Adams of Suffield hinders him from going over the Town of Springfield lands to his the said Tailors lands. This town now grant to said Jonathan Tailor full liberty to go over their lands as the sd Tailor used to do formerly. [III - 226.]

Benjamin Cooley Jun'r is granted to have ten acres of land at the South side of Pacowseek brook joining to his father Cooley's land there, saving former grants & highwayes & he improving the said grant within the terme of five yeeres, otherwise the grant is void.

Jonathan Worthington is granted to have twenty acres of land on the boggey medow that lyes on Three Mile Brooke, & on the east side of the Day's land.

At a Town Meeting, May 10, 1711.

Samuel Lamb & Tilly Mirick have a grant of one acre of land for conveniency to set up a sawmill on Skipmuck River at the place bewteen a former grant to some others to set up a sawmill & the cartway that runs across the said River above Wollamanumps & liberty of the stream for sd mill. Saving former grants & highwayes, their desire was made at a former meeting.

p.317

Mr. Pelatiah Glover hath granted to him for conveniency of fencing that the land he had of Jonathan Ashley should have addition from the foot of the hill to the brow thereof: Saving former grants & highwayes ye desire for it was propounded at a former meeting.

David Lumbard Jun'r his desire at a former meeting to have the grant of ten acres of land at the northerly side of Long Dingle, joining to John Lumbards land there, is now granted him, saving former grants & highways.

Samuel Hitchcocke Sen'r, his motion at a former meeting to have a grant of five acres of land upon Squaw Tree Dingle, joining to William Warriners land there is now granted him. Saving former grants & highways.

Ephraim Colton & George Colton having at a former meeting desired the confirmation of the land agt their Pond to the brow of the hill east of Longmedow, have now their desires granted them, saving former grants & concerning highways.

Ephraim Colton desiring at a former meeting, the Town to grant him the side hill against his lot upon the hill is now granted his desire, saving former grants & highwayes.

Charles ffere, his motion at a former meeting to have the grant of twenty acres on the South side of Agawam River, joining to the land that was formerly granted to Samuell Ely above the place called ye Neck, the Town now grants his sd motion, saving former grants & convenient highwayes.

John Harman Jun'r at a former meeting desired the Town to grant him twelve acres on the south side of a gutter that runs into Clarkes medow on the south side of Mill River & the Town now grant his desire, saving former grants & convenient highwayes.

Thomas Ingersol having at a former meeting moved to the Town to grant him twenty acres of land upon Squaw tree dingle, part on the east side & part on the west side, saving former grants & highwayes.

Thomas Terry is granted by the Towns granters to have two or three acres of Pondy Land at the south end of his medow neer the Ponds & about one acre of boggy medow at Markams

p.318

buttery, having moved for it at a former meeting, saving former grants & convenient wayes.

Samuel Miller Jun'r is granted by the Town to have twelve acres of land & swamp at the east side of Brush Hill at the southerly end of the hill, having desired it at a former meeting when former grants & highwayes are saved continually.

Jodeph Bodurtha is granted to have twenty acres of land at the upper end of Goosebery Swamp, in consideration of land allowed by him for the street or highway, saving former grants & highwayes, having moved for it at a former meeting.

Samuel Cooley having at a former meeting moved for it a swamp of about five or six acres on the south side of Pacowseek & lying about four miles of, the Town now grants him according to his motion, saving former grants & highwayes.

Japhet Chapin in consideration of land allowed by him for ye Country road leading to Hadley moved at a former meeting that the Town would grant him sixty acres on the east side of the great River & below the foot of the falls & Wollomanseep southeasterly: the Town grants him according to his motion saving former grants & highwayes.

Joseph Parsons desired the Town to give him twelve acres of land beyond the gutter that runs out of James Dorchesters medow into Mill River, by way of exchange wth him for his twelve acres beyond the Two Mile Pond & so called, & the Town allowes of the change & grants him accordingly to his desire, saving former grants & highwayes.

Obadiah Miller is granted ten acres of land on the southerly side of his own land on Mill River & to join thereunto, saving former grants & highwayes having moved for it at a former meeting.

William Mack Cranny is granted to have four or five acres of land to lye westerly of the land he bought of Nathll Dumbleton in lieu of land he allowes for the Country Road, saving former grants & highwayes, he having moved for it at a former meeting. [III - 227.]

p.319

John Rogers is granted to have ten acres of land upon Silver Stream Plain & joining to land of Samuel Ely, saving former grants & convenient highwayes, having moved for it at a former meeting.

Joseph Ely Sen'r is granted a piece of land above Chickuppi field containing five or six acres for an house lot, lying on the south & southwest side of the north branch of Chickuppi brooke, saving former grants & highwayes, having moved for it at a former meeting.

Joseph Ely Jun'r is granted a piece of boggy medow lying at the lower end of the great pond containing two or three acres. Saving former grants & highwayes having at a former meeting moved for it.

Increase Sikes Jun'r is granted to have eight or ten acres of land on the south side of Pacowseek, joining to his own land there, saving former grants & highwayes, he having de-sired it at a former meeting for conveniency of fencing.

James Warriner Jun'r is granted to have an acre & halfe or two acres of land in a small dingle wch is on ye north corner of the New Training field saving grants & highwayes.

In the handwriting of Pelatiah Bliss.

Some time in June Anno 1711 measured for Thomas Colton Jun'r ten acres of land in the south east part of Mathus Swamp being in length 56 rod, viz: North & South bounded by a white oak marked at ye northeast corner standing about 8 or ten rod eastward of ye ledge of rockes and by a red oake at ye southeast corner and by a pine tree at ye southwest corner, this measured by Nathanell Burt Jun'r. Town Measurer Registered April 18, 1712.

March ye 21 Anno 1712.

Measured to Joseph Ely six acres of land situate above Chickuppi field bounded easterly by Nathll Dumbleton, northerly by Deacon Parons & southerly by a little run of water, it being 33 rod in length being east and west 30 rods by John Petty, Measurer for ye Town Registered July ye 10, Anno 1712.

p.320

December ye 29, 1712 Mesured to Josia Leonard 10 acres of land granted by the Towne which land it joyneth to his former grant on the west side of it is Runes 23 rods in breadth & 70 rods in length: by John Petty Measurer for ye Town Registered January ye 12, 1712-13.

December 20, 1712: Measured to George Colton ye land or grant confirmed to him against his pond & north by ye land of Joseph Bliss bounded by a white oake stub and a stone by it, & east by ye brow of ye Hill by a pine tree marked 39 rods: & Henry Burt measurer for ye Town. Registered on January 16, 1712-13.

December ye 20, 1712: Measured to Ephraim Colton ye land confirmed by the Town to him against his pond it is bounded west by ye great pond and north by ye land of George Colton and east by ye brow of hill and south by ye land of Samuell Colton on his highway and is in breadth 25 rods and a halfe and is in length 50 rods, containing about eight acres: Also ye land granted to Ephraim Colton against his land upon ye hill: it is bounded east by his own land & south by ye land of Samuell Colton and west by Samuell Colton's boggy medow and north by his own land and is in breadth 30 rods and in length 15 rods containing about 2 acres and three quarters of land. Both parsells measured by Henry Burt, Town Measurer. Registered on January ye 16, 1712-13. [III - 228.]

March 9th, 1712-13 Measured to John ffowler 14 acres of land it being a part of a twenty acres granted to him at a meeting on March 10, 1701-2 and it is on the south side of Agawam River and is situate at a place called Buck Hill Swamp, it is in length 56 rods and in breadth 40 rods and is bounded by marked trees at each corner by John Petty, Town Measurer. Regist-ered March ye 12, 1712-13.

Measured to Joseph Bedurtha 20 acres of land granted at a Town meeting on May 10, 1711: and it is at the upper end of Goosebery Swamp which land is 60 Rods east and

p.321

west and 59 rods north and south bounded easterly and northerly by the hill and south and west by marked trees by John Petty Measurer for the Town.

Whereas there was a grant made as followeth:

March 9, 1708.

Nathll Sikes Jun'r is granted by the Town to have six acres of land at ye upper end of Chickuppi field at the west side of the Great River to joine to his land there and above hisland there having desired it at a former meeting allowing for convenient highwayes. March ye 10, 1712-13 Measured to Nathanell Sikes Jun'r the above sd grant by John Petty Town Measurer and sd land is bounded east by the Great River south by his own land west by the Brooke north by the land formerly granted to Samuell Terry. With allowance for highwayes Registered May ye 8th, 1713.

At a Town Meeting May 10, 1711.

Increase Sikes Jun'r is granted to have 8 or 10 acres of land on the South side of Pacowseek joining to his own land there saving former grants & highwayes, having moved for it at a former meeting for Conveniency of fencing and it was measured out to him by Henry Burt, Town Measurer May 14, 1712 and is joining to sd Sikes land at Pacowseek and is bounded by a black oake tree marked at the south west corner and a pine tree at the south east corner marked.

Samuel Hitchcock Sen'r his motion at a former meeting to have a grant of five acres of land upon Squaw Tree Dingle joining to William Warriner land there is now granted him saving former grants and highwayes an on May 30, 1713: it was measured by Henry Burt Town Measurer and is bounded on ye north by land formerly granted to Daniell Denton and by land granted to William Warriner andis bounded on ye northeast by a black oake marked & on ye northwest by a pine tree and it is twenty rods in breadth and southerly it extends up ye dingle ffourty rods and it is bounded on the southeast corner by a pine tree marked and on the southwest corner by a pine tree marked.

p.322

Granted Isaac Morgan 20 acres of land at the rear of his fathers lot at Chickuppe provided it prjudice no former grant: April 26, 1714 the above sd grant was measured or layed out by John Petty Land Measurer for the Town & the land is bounded east by the land of Chickuppe field and it is eighty rods north & south by a little Brook comonly called Taylors Brook and west by the commons and part by Samuell Millers land. [III - 229.]

April 9, 1708

John Ely is granted to have twenty acres of land lying on the south side of Agawam River & about a mile & halfe or two miles southwest of Joseph Leonards house & ner the Day's further swamp having desired it at a former meeting allowing for highwayes & former grants. On April 23, 1713 it was by John Petty Land Measurer, measured out to John Ely & it is about halfe a mile south west of Day's swamp and it is in length sixty rods northerly & southerly & fifty four rods breadth easterly & westerly bounded northerly by Samuel Taylors land or by the highland or way over the swamp.

Richard Excel hath granted unto him eight acres of land to joine all along his land at Block Bridge on the East side of that Brook & on March ye 15th 1714: It was by John Petty Land Measurer, layed out & it is joining to sd Excel's his former grant att Block Bridge on the east side of the Brook. It is in length one hundred & five rods & about twelve rods & a halfe in breadth.

Japhet Chapen in consideration of land allowed by him for the Country road leading to Hadley moved at a former meeting that the Town would grant him sixty acres on the east side of the great River and below the foot of the falls & Wollomansep southerly the Town grants him according to his motion saving former grants and highwayes convenient, and on March 19, 1714 by John Petty, Land Measurer for the Town this grant laid out & it is bounded westerly

p.323

by the Great River and Wollomansep northerly from the road: and from the road southerly it is bounded by the Brook thirty and five rods easterly & then it runs to the Hill on the south side of the brook & it is one hundred & twenty rods in length north & south & at the southerly end it is one hundred rod and at ye northerly end it is sixty rods and marked trees at each corner.

William MackCranny is granted to have four or five acres of land to lye westerly of the land he bought of Nathanell Dumbleton in lieu of land he allows for the County road saving form-er grants and highayes, he having moved for it at a former meeting and on March 20, 1714 by John Petty Land Measurer for the grant, was measured or layed out & it is at the most westerly corner of the land which sd Mackcranny bought of Nathanell Dumbleton and it is bounded northerly by the hill on the north side of the brook east by his own land and it is fourty rods east and west and twenty rods north and south.

James Warriner Jun'r is granted to have an acre & halfe or two acres of land in a small dingle wch is on the North corner of the New Training Field saving former grants & high-wayes and sd land was measured out to him on October 6, 1714, viz: by Henry Burt Land Measurer and it is in length the fourty rods and in breadth eighty rods & bounded by sd Warriners land south west and at the north by a black oake marked and at the east by a white oake marked and at the south by a pine tree marked. [III - 230.]

Thomas Ingersol having at a former meeting moved to the Town to grant him twenty acres of land upon Squaw tree dingle part on the east side and part on the west side the said dingle and beginning att the head of the Dingle the Town now grantes him sd motion saving former grants & highwayes: on October 6, 1714. This land was measured or laid out by Henry Burt Land Measurer and it is joining to Pelatiah Bliss his land there and is bounded west by a pine tree and it runs up the dingle fifty rods to a black

p.324

Beach tree marked and runs sixty four rods easterly to a Black oake stadel and northerly by a small pine tree marked.

March ye 21st, 1715.

Measured a grant of land granted to Thomas Bancroft being fifty acres, which land is situate and lyeth att the most southerly end of the Miller's land att Ackconunsuck and is bounded northerly by thee land & is in breadth eastwardly & westerly ninety four rods & upon the River northerly & southerly it is eighty six rods bounded by two young black oakes & east by a black oake tree by Jno Petty Town Measurer.

There is granted to Lieut. Cooper 16 acres of lowland on ye most southerly branch of the Three Mile Brooke below his house about halfe a mile up the branch running about half a mile up the brook: and a little up another gutter yt runs from the northwesterly into that brooke.

March 15th 1714-15. The above said grant was measured or laid out by John Petty Land Measurer for the Town and the land is bounded northwest or at the northest corner by a white oake tree upon the side hill near a hollow, on the east side from thence running southerly one hundred and forty two rods in length up the brook bounded east & west by the upland and at the northwest corner by a white oake tree which is about ten acres & the other six acres lyeth as followeth: the east end bounded upon the above sd land & the north-east corner upon the above sd land & the northeast corner by a white oake tree that stands on the side of the northerly gutter that runs into the brook and so runs westerly forty rods & is in breadth twenty-four rods.

Joseph Leonard desires the town would give him liberty to set up a saw mill on Agawam River & liberty of timber & two or three acres of land to build on, the situation of it is below ye fishing place on the southside of ye Agawam.

July the 14th, 1715:

The above said grant of land was measured by John Petty Measurer for the Town and the land is bounded northerly by the River and southerly by the Hill. It begins at the northest corner where the hill comes to the River and is forty rods in length upon the River.

p.325

Thomas Cooper desires to exchange 20 acres of land which lyeth beyond the sawmill for 20 acres neer him behind the Muxy medow as also that the Town would grant him ten acres on this side ye Muxy medow. The which desire was grante May 1st.

The abovesd land or part was measured March 14, 1715 by John Petty Land measurer for the Town. The which land is situate and lyeth on the backside of Muxy medow and is bounded westerly by Josiah Leonard it being eight rods in length north & south & forty rods in breadth east & West. [III - 331 blank - III - 232.]

March ye 31, 1719.

The Selectmen, viz:

Ebenezer Parsons
Samuel Day
John Day
Samuel Ely

have laid out a highway from the highway that goeth from the Great River to Aggowem River which way is judged highly necessary in order for outlet to the comons on the south side of Aggowam River which way is to begin at the westerly corner of the great field from thence to the falls at the cartway across Aggowam River ten rods in width and beyond the river sd way is to be twenty rod wide by Aggowam River side to extend to the comons be-yond the river. Said way to be twenty rod wide by Aggowam River side to extend to the comons beyond the old saw mill which stands on the southerly side of Aggowam River in-cluding the comon cartway up the hill beyond the flats: and from the top of the sd hill there is a highway of ten rods wide going from the top of the sd hill unto the top of the hill beyond Benjamin Leonards to the comons. The sd way was laid out in the fore part of the day.

Whereas there hat been complaints made to the Selectmen for want of convenient highways on the west side of the great River: We the subscribers having inspected the places proposed to be needful & necessary for highways to be laid out for the use of the Town we doe order, appoint & lay out these stated wayes hereafter expressed, nominated & appointed and first we lay out a way to extend from the country roads that goeth to Westfield beyond Block Brook between the land of Samuell Lamb & the lands of

p.326

Christian vanHorn to be in width twenty rods or as wide as the comon land will allow between their lands & then to be twenty rod in width to goe to the land called the Great Plain, sd highway is to continue on the hill till it cometh to Jonathan Tailors land and then to run along westerly over the Great Plain & so to continue in the common or Town lands.

There is also a highway twenty rods wide ordered to be between Samuel Tailers and Benjamin Smith's on the top of the hill to goe from the comon roade to the Great Plain to meet with the highway above prescribed.

There is also a highway laid out by the Selectmen at Chickeby two rod wide between Samuel Millers land and Ebenezer Scots land from the comon highway or street into the woods.

The Selectmen have settled the highway through Chickebey field which is two rod wide from the gate to the Brook but at the lowland at the Brook it is to be foure rods wide and then come to its former breadth two rods wide through the field the sd way is to goe along from the ditch at the southerly corner of Nathanel Morgans land and then to goe to the ditch at the eastwrd end of William Scots land & then to run along on the brow & then to leave the Rum Pond on the easterly side of the way & so to continue along the road as it now goeth along to the Gate. The above sd highways were laid out, ordered and appointed by agreement of the Selectmen of the Town of Springfield this 13th of November, 1719.

Ebenezer Parsons & Samuel Day & John Day & James Mirick & Samuel Ely: Selectmen.

November ye 19th, 1719.

The Selectmen (upon the desire of several of the Inhabitants of Chickeby) have laid out, ordered and appointed these highways hereafter prescribed & named and first there is laid out a highway which is to goe on the backside of Chickebey field on the westerly side of Samuel Barkers

p.327

Home Lot where the way now lieth which way is to be six rod wide till it comes beyond the Barkers land and then there is to be two ways: one that goeth a way westerly into the woods & the other is to go along behind Chickeby field: that which goeth into the woods is to be twenty rod wide till it cometh to the highway that cometh over Derbys Brook being the Common Roade and the other goeth along by or through the land belonging to Nathll Sykes where the sd way is to be foure rods wide and so run along by the field fence till it cometh to the land of Serj't Bagg: from Serj't Baggs land the sd way goeth up the hill westerly at the point of the Hill four rod wide to goe to the southerly corner of Nathanell Morgans land and there to goe away westerly to the Comon Road four rods wide. There is also a highway ten rods wide from Ebenezer Scots land southerly across the hill till it comes to Benjamin Stebbins his land the sd way is to begin att the easterly end of Ebenezer Scots land by the Great River goeing out of the Comon Roade toward the town. These ways as above mentioned were ordered and laid out per:

Ebenezer Parsons
James Mirick
Samuel Day
Samuel Ely
Selectmen.


In the handwriting of Edward Pynchon.

Laid out to Lt. Robert Harris & Increase Sikes Jun'r twenty acres of land above ye head of Pecowsuck Brook being a Grant granted by the Town of Springfield to Nathaniel Sikes at a town meeting on ye 21 day of November, 1701 which grant of twenty acres is purchased by ye above sd Harris and Sikes, laid out as followeth: beginning ye northwest corner at a white oak straddled with stones about it, then running south 20 De: east 50 rods to a staked marked, then running south 26 rods to a stake marked, then running east 31 rods to a stake marked, then running north 93-1/2 rods to a stake, and then running westward 52 rods to ye first mentioned bounds: Land surveyed

p.328

ye 14th of November 1748 by me Paul Langdon, Surveyor, being Sworne. The Above survey was Received & recorded from the Original, November 15, 1748. Per Edward Pynchon, Town Clerk.

[III - 234.]

Hampshire SS: Springfield November 9th, 1748.

These ways as above mentioned were ordered and laid out. Land Surveyor was Sworn to Survey & lay out a grant of seventy acres of land, made by the Town of Springfield to Nathaniel Sikes (now deceased) at a Town Meeting November 21, 1701, lying above the head of Pecowsuck Brook and that in doing the same he would act Indifferently & Impartially according to his best skill & judgment. Per William Pynchon, Justice of the Peace. Received and Recorded from the original November 17th, 1748. Per Edward Pynchon, Town Clerk.

Springfield: April 17, 1727.

Whereas Thomas Cooper Jun'r had a grant of five or six acres of meadow on the most easterly branch of Stoney River, where he can find it most convenient being 3 or 4 miles from his Fathers house, I have accordingly laid out six acres of meadow at the place above mentioned, it being sixty rods in length northerly and southerly and sixteen rods in breadth easterly and westerly lying near the bounds between Springfield and Southfield and it is bounded at the southwest corner by a black oak tree marked and at the southeast corner by a small Ash marked, at the north easterly corner by an Elm marked and at the northwesterly corner by a Walnutt tree marked: John Ferre, Measurer for the Proprietors.

Whereas Timothy Cooper had a grant of twenty acres of upland to lye near to the meadow that was granted unto him and Japhet Chapin, David Ashley and James Taylor - I have also laid out Timothy Coopers twenty acre grant of upland - it lyes near to James Phillips where he lives and it lyes on both sides of the highway that runs along by said

p.329

Phillips house, twelve acres on the east side of the way and eighteen acres on the west side of the way, the twelve acres on the east side of the way is 48 rods northerly and southerly and 40 rods easterly and westerly, bounded westerly by the highway and at the southerly end by land that was Japhet Chapins where there stands two white Oak trees marked at the lower corners being 40 rods assunder and at the upper or northerly end by a stake at each corner about twenty rods below James Phillips house. The eight acres on the west side of the way is 60 rods northerly and southerly and in breadth 21 rods at the northerly end and 21 rods and a half and something better at the southerly end bounded northerly by James Phillips homelot and easterly by the highway at the southeast corner by a stake and at the southwest corner by a black Oak tree, marked. John Ferre, Measurer for the Proprietors. Springfield April 17, 1727. The above returns were received and Entered April 10th, 1747. Per Edward Pynchon, Clerk of Springfield. [III - 236 to 252, inclusive, Blank.] [III - 253.]

In the handwriting of John Holyoke.

At a legal Town Meeting: october 3d, 1693:

Which sd meeting was warned to declare to the Town what answer Mr. John Haines gave the Selectmen, upon their declaring to him the vote of the Town at the Town meeting September 11, 1693, p. 150, which answer the Selectmen that went to him for the answer was that he thought he was not in his way to continue amongst us in the worke of the ministry, & it was best for him to be gone from us, and the Selectmen did reply to sd Mr. Haines, that they would not take up wth that answer, hoping that they should find him alter his mind & give a more comfortable answer upon his further consideration viz on ye affirmative.

Now at this meeting the Town did declare themselves dissatisfyed wth this answer, viz: wth this denyal, so that the vote passed that they would yet waite for another answer from Mr.

p.330

Haines, & that they would yet apply themselves to Mr. Haines that he would yet be our minister in order to officiating in the things of Christ to the Church of ours in Springfield & that the Selectmen or any three of them with Deacon Burt should declare this vote to Mr. Haines & return his answer to the Town.

At a Legal Town Meeting, October 18th, 1693.

The Selectmen having been with Mr. Haines & declaring to him ye vote of the preceeding meeting, he did give them this answer, that he did not see it his way to continue with us: & now at this meeting this answer being declared to the Town: The Town did yet passe a vote that they would againe have Mr. Haines treated to see whether he might not be gained to give us a more comfortable answer & that they should enjoy the benefit of his labors among us, & that the Whorshipfull Jno Pynchon, Esq., Deacon Burt, Jno Dumbleton & the Selectmen should signify this vote to Mr. John Haines & to treat him in behalfe of the Towne or ye major part of the fore mentioned to be appointed to declare according to this vote.

At a Legal Town Meeting November 30, 1693:

It was voted to send Capt. Thomas Colton & Serj't Luke Hitchcocke to the Bay for the pro-curing a minister to preach the word of God to this town & that they apply themselves to the reverend elders in Boston for their help for our obtaining a minister that may promote conversions work amongst us. [III - 254.]

January 10th, 1693.

At a legal Town meeting called to consider what to do with respect to our settlement of Mr. Daniel Brewer amongst us in the worke of the ministery.

It was first voted to give Mr. Daniel Brewer Invitation to carry on the worke of the Gospel in this place. It was further voted to give Mr. Daniell Brewer seventy pounds for this yeer & the use of the Ministry House & land wthin the terme of six or seven yeeres over & above his yeerly salary to

flag border

Continued to Next

Back

INDEX

Return to Home


flag border

History of Springfield, Vol. II
Hampden County
ALHN-Massachusetts
Created September 21, 2004
Copyright 2004

Kathy Leigh, Webmaster