Welcome to Genesee

County

 

CONTENTS


 

Please read the Volunteer FAQ for those interested in submitting data or volunteering to host a county.

You are the 4549th visitor to this page.      
ęCopyright 1997-2003By Lesley Moss & Cary Shaw

This page was last updated Monday, December 01, 2003

WB01442_.gif (2170 bytes)

Townships

PIONEER DAYS IN THE TOWNSHIPS

The county of Genesee as laid out by the act of 1835 embraced all of its present area except the eastern range of townships, which then belonged to Lapeer. The oldest township in the county is Grand Blanc, organized March 9, 1833- It was larger than now, including its present area and all of the present townships of Fenton, Mundy, Flint, Mount Morris, Genesee, Burton, Atlas and Davison. The second township was Flint, erected March 2, i836. It, too, was larger than now, embracing not only its present area and that of the city of Flint, but also the present townships of Burton, Clayton, Flushing, Mount Morris, Genesee, Thetford Vienna and Montrose, .Argentine was organized July 26, 1836, which included the township of Fenton besides its present area. On March 11, 1837, was organized the township of Mundy, which then included also the present township of Gaines. By the same act Vienna was organized from the northern part of Flint, to include also the lands now in Montrose and Thetford. Thus, in 1837, all of Genesee county was included in five townships,- Grand Blanc, Flint, Argentine, Mundy and Vienna the latter having been added only a few weeks after the state was admitted to the Union. The remaining townships of the county were organized in the following order:
1838, March 6, Genesee, Fenton and Flushing.
1839, April 19, Kearsley, covering territory absorbed later by Genesee and Burton.
1842, February 16, Thetford and Gaines.
1843, March 9, Forest, Richfield, Davison and Atlas were added from Lapeer County.
1846, March 25, Clayton and Montrose; the latter was first called "Pewanagawink;" changed to "Montrose" by act of January 15, 1848.
1855, February 12, Mount Morris.

Township Map from 1916

LAYOUT REPRESENTATION OF TOWNSHIPS

 

MONTROSE   VIENNA  THETFORD     FOREST
FLUSHING MT. MORRIS   GENESEE RICHFIELD
CLAYTON  FLINT BURTON DAVISON
GAINES MUNDY GRAND BLANC ATLAS
ARGENTINE FENTON

Visit the USGenNet- http://www.usgennet.org/

This nonprofit genealogical/historical research site is hosted by USGenNet, a nonprofit, tax-exempt public benefit corporation, and is in full compliance with USGenNet's Conditions of use, including no claim to the copyrights of individual submitters.